Worthy Adversary - Fulton Beer

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 03-29-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.01/5  rDev -2.9%

Served on tap,this looks like a stout. It's an opaque black color, with a small brown head that quickly dissipates. the smell is faintly of malt and plums. The taste explodes off the tongue, with plums, chocolate, raisins, and coffee flavors blended together. The mouthfeel is rich, as a RIS should be. The drinkablity is hindered only by it's higher alcohol content. This is indeed a Worthy Adversary! (402 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap at The Republic in Minneapolis, MN. Served in a 12 oz. standard shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pretty much pitch black with only a slight bit of brown color shining through the edges of the glass. About a finger of tan head that recedes into a thin patchy layer. A fairly good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A fairly sweet aroma of dark roasted malts with hints of caramel, chocolate, molasses, anise, and a little coffee. Also a light hint of dark fruit in the background. Hops are very faint. Smells pretty roasty and fairly strong.

Taste: A pretty big roasty and sweet taste of dark malts with some caramel and big notes of chocolate and molasses. Also some anise, coffee, and a little dark fruit. Light taste of earthy hops in the background provides some balance to the sweetness. Very good.

Mouthfeel: Body is on the heavier side but still goes down fairly easy. Carbonation is moderate. Creamy and moderately sticky and syrupy. No real alcohol heat felt.

Overall: A very good take on an imperial stout. Bold taste and fairly easy to drink for such a big beer. (1,094 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a growler into a german style beer mug.

A: Black squared. One finger of head, hung around a while.

S: Sweet aroma with coffee and molasses.

T: Taste didn't quite live up to the smell. Not offensive with coffee and licorice (rather than the molasses or coffee I was hoping for after the smell lured me in).

M: Heavy and more syrupy than I expected.

O: Average. Starts out good and let's you down just a little bit. I would drink again, but might look at other options if available. (498 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Reviewed from notes taken at the Minneapolis Republic. Poured from the tap into a pint glass on 6/25/11.

Pours as dark as night with 2 fingers of mocha colored head that dissipates leaving little lacing but a thick oily resin on the glass. Just a wonderful presentation.

Smell is tons of roasted malt and chocolate as well as an awesome mix of coffee. As it warms this beer gets better and better, with tons of chocolate goodness. Great smell as well.

Taste is the same as the smell and just as great. Tons of sweet roasted malt and chocolate as well as some coffee flavors. Wow what can I say just awesome.

Mouthfeel is light to moderate... It looks smells and tastes like an Imperial stout and it even leaves a nice choco/coffee resin on the pallet but it has a very nice carbonation and is so lite as far as weight and density. It really makes you want to drink more and is refreshing even though you are getting slammed with taste. Top notch.

Overall this is one of the best Imperial Stout's that I have ever had. In fact it is now my favorite stout. Yes even more so then Darkness, Dark Lord, or Abyss and I absolutely love Abyss. I can't wait until Fulton starts bottling their beers. This is an absolutely must have if you are ever in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area. (1,279 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Black, good head, good lacing.

Smell: Big chocolate smell, some coffee.

Taste: Big sweet chocolate and coffee from start to finish. I like big stouts on the sweet side, and this really hits the spot.

Mouthfeel: Substantial, pretty thick.

Drinkability: Very tasty, only on tap right now.

Tried this at the Hanger Room in Willernie, and was really wowed by the beer. Chocolatey, coffee, not too sweet and not too bitter. Really impressed by this one. (465 characters)

Had on tap tonight at The Hanger Room.

Poured through a randall into my Fulton pint glass. Basically a randall is a vessel. In the vessel was fresh Peace whole coffee beans with fresh whole bean vanilla. The beer passes through each then pours into your glass.

I will start my review by saying that I have heard of this beer before I have ever tried it. Reviews were epic type shit(word of mouth) , Paul Bunyon and Babe The Blue Ox. Needless to say I was excited to get my snicker bar type piano fingers around it.

Holy Lord. Accusations were true. Deep dark jet black. Three fingers of mocha head. Two feet away I can smell the coffee. Pretty much ridiculous. Upon taste the brew is slightly hop forward. That boils down to un-noticeable. Rich coffee notes and vanilla unfold. It smells epic. In the mouth the rich coffee and vanilla are prevalent but they also give way to chocolate and roast. Not heavily but certainly noticeable.

It is rarely I am wowed in a beer. All I can say is holy fuck this is good. (1,014 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +3.1%

$5 on tap at Grumpys? Sounds good. Poured into a mug :(

Pours a super dark brown, with a small caramel head. Smell is roasty with some good coffee undertones. Not super aromatic.

Taste is outstanding. Good coffee and chocolate and malt (ate a small piece of Oreo birthday cake with this and it was damn near orgasmic)

Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin. I really expected more, and it did affect the taste a bit, a thicker richer mouthfeel would have really helped hold the flavors more.

Overall, really good RIS. When they bottle this I'll be buying some more. Not quite on the level of a darkness, but a good local RIS. (621 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Fulton's Worthy Adversary was the cask of the moment at the Groveland Tap in St. Paul, MN. I love sampling cask beers, and I looked forward to giving the Adversary a try. I was not disappointed.

Appearance: The cask was served in a 16 oz. glass. The color was dark and dense, just right for a Russian Imperial Stout. It was topped with about a finger width of tan foam.

Smell: The aroma was filled with chocolate and cherry notes and a slight hint of coffee.

Taste: It had a strong roasted flavor, quite sweet, and very light on the hops. I also detected a tad bit of chocolate on the first couple sips. The chocolate flavor seemed to be more apparent the more I drank. The high alcohol content (9.2%) was evident.

Mouthfeel: Creamy mouthfeel, almost a tad syrupy.

Drinkability: A pleasant cask experience, although it was a little too sweet for my taste. It would probably make a great dessert beer. I can even imagine an ice cream float prepared with the Worthy Adversary. Yum! (986 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Cast in a classic ebon hue, in the glass, topeed with a rich, creamy, luscious head of tanned cocoa-toned foam. Really looks the part, though it could be tad darker, burnt, roastier...then, I'd know it was for real. Beautiful.

Creamy aroma, light, sweet chocolate, toffe, & nuts. Wish there was more in this department, it's squeeking a little too quietly for my liking. Nice enough, though.

In the mouth and on the palate, it fills the room, but doesn't dominate. There's chocolate here, carob, some some fig, a touch of dates, maybe...well, I'm not getting ash/charcoal/smoke,etc...it's dry, but not that roasty or burnt. Not too sweet, mind you, but, well, just doesn't reach the depths I like to dwell in when I dive into a great Imperial Stout. Tasty, for sure. Drinkable, (despit the unknown, but surely high abv.)yes.

Oh, wait, now...halfway into the glass, we're getting deeper and darker, more flavor's coming through. I'm liking it as a stout, but can't put it into the same league as the best Imperials out there, not yet, ...but, it's not far off, either. A bit more experience and tweaking, and this beer could be much beter. As it is, I do like it. Recommend it. Will continue to drink it, and while I do, try not to think of how little it's like Expedition, Darkness, or Old Rasputin. (1,304 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last