Worthy Adversary | Fulton Beer

Added by feloniousmonk on 03-29-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 67 | Ratings: 388
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Very dark brown color with a dense, one finger brown head that had excellant retention. The head settles to a very thick cap. Heavy lacing is left down the glass.

Dark malt aroma. Not heavily roasted but more of a chocolate malt. Hints of cherries and grass.

Straight forward Russian Imperial Stout. Does not go into extreme regions like the big players that BAs love. Not hoppy, nor sweet. Just right down the middle. Chocolate notes with some fruity esters. A little grass and earth from the hops. Alcohol plays a role in the finish with some warmth and flavor.

Solid body with some superb carbonation. It is just hurt by the alcohol in the end that hurts the finish.

May not be a stout to seek out, but I am glad I had a chance to drink a bottle. I would say it is an approachable RIS.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

I'm not a huge fan of Fulton, but after a good amount of promising reviews, I figured I should check this one out.

Looks very much like Speedway I think... deep coffee brown to black body and a finger of steady latte colored head that laces well with a tease of legs.

Real straight-forward... chocolate malts, roasty dessert notes, some mild brown sugar, a touch of alcohol heat comes after a big snort. Pretty smooth I'd say.

Loads of roasted malts... some oaky vanilla, mild milk chocolate, a bit of smoke... again, pretty smooth... safe.

A "worthy adversary" for... I don't know, maybe Stone IRS?

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

I have had a case of this stuff for over a week because I have a hook up with Fulton, surprised I waited this long to try it. My bottles are 'low fill' but i got them for free! You could say i'm a bit biased, I love this brewery.

A: Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Snifter. It is pitch black with a small half inch head. It leaves very light bits of lacing.

S: Dark chocolate, roasted malts, coffee.

T: Lots of rich dark chocolates and roasted caramel malts. A hint of coffee and vanilla.

M: Rich yet medium mouthfeel. This stuff is super creamy. Almost like drinking dark chocolate milk, delicious.

O: I have had just about all of Fulton's offerings and this is by far my favorite. I'm excited to see how this tastes next winter. Not quite on the same level as Darkness but it hangs with some of the better stouts out there. Go for it!

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Pitch black. Poured from a growler not to much head at all. Will be interested to compare to the forthcomming bottled version in a couple weeks.

Smell is faint Sweet chocolate, maybe some roasted grain.

Taste milky chocolate, licorice some bitter hops. Finishes with a fudgy quality and a slight alcohol burn.

Extemely smooth mouthfeel. Silky coating quality.

Overall this is a fine offering from Fulton.

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%

A - very dark brown hue, thin line of head.

S - mild coffee notes, chocolate and roast on the nose.

T - Coffee, chocoloate, very slight bourbon taste and strong roasty taste. Very smooth.

M - well carbonated with a very mild alcohol burn, again very smooth.

O - overall this is Fulton's best offering up to this point in my opinion. A very tasty imperial stout. Would highly recommend it.

Finally had a chance to check this out on tap at the Fulton taproom before a Friday night Twins game. Been hearing about it for so long & it always eluded me. No longer. 95 degrees? Big black stout? Yes, thank you.

Pour is into a 10-12 ounce chalice & it purty as can be, dark & foamy. The nose runs to sweet malt & rough coffee, & there might be a sprig or two of chocolate mixed in, as well.

Worthy Adversary is indeed worthy of consideration. Even cold, the coffee in this one is titanic, slipping the bounds between roast & coffee & going straight to the bean. Chocolate fills in the void behind, & does a nice dance with the sweet malt. The combo leads to a smooth, silky mouthfeel behind the initial roughness that's just lovely.

This one lived up to the bookings - what a nice brew. I'd like to sit down with this one again when I wasn't inside a broiler getting cooked; it might be even better then. Very good stout.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Solid black with a creamy layer of cocoa colored foam. Rich malt nose with some light vanilla bean and smoke. Deep malt flavor, smoke, molasses and vanilla. Nice complexity. Smooth and full bodied. This is an exceptionally easy to drink imperial stout. Very well done overall.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

On tap at Grumpys. $5 for a mug of this seemed like a legit deal to me. I had seconds fo sho.

Pours a tan head. Color is pretty much black.

Aroma: A lot of coffee and chocolate. A nice amount of roast. Creamy and malty. Caramel with a bit of dark fruits/molasses mixed in.

Taste: A lot like the nose, but much more flavorful. The coffee flavors are awesome. I was quite surprised by how much flavor was actually here. A lot of chocolate and caramel with a little roast. Dark fruits again, but the malts are the highlights here.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry.

Overall, this beer needs to be seen on tap at more bars and this beer needs to remain this price. Anytime I see this at the bar, I will be buying it. Very impressive offering. This is one of those local hidden gems (thank you darkness).

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%

Served on tap,this looks like a stout. It's an opaque black color, with a small brown head that quickly dissipates. the smell is faintly of malt and plums. The taste explodes off the tongue, with plums, chocolate, raisins, and coffee flavors blended together. The mouthfeel is rich, as a RIS should be. The drinkablity is hindered only by it's higher alcohol content. This is indeed a Worthy Adversary!

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

On tap at The Republic in Minneapolis, MN. Served in a 12 oz. standard shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pretty much pitch black with only a slight bit of brown color shining through the edges of the glass. About a finger of tan head that recedes into a thin patchy layer. A fairly good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A fairly sweet aroma of dark roasted malts with hints of caramel, chocolate, molasses, anise, and a little coffee. Also a light hint of dark fruit in the background. Hops are very faint. Smells pretty roasty and fairly strong.

Taste: A pretty big roasty and sweet taste of dark malts with some caramel and big notes of chocolate and molasses. Also some anise, coffee, and a little dark fruit. Light taste of earthy hops in the background provides some balance to the sweetness. Very good.

Mouthfeel: Body is on the heavier side but still goes down fairly easy. Carbonation is moderate. Creamy and moderately sticky and syrupy. No real alcohol heat felt.

Overall: A very good take on an imperial stout. Bold taste and fairly easy to drink for such a big beer.

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a growler into a german style beer mug.

A: Black squared. One finger of head, hung around a while.

S: Sweet aroma with coffee and molasses.

T: Taste didn't quite live up to the smell. Not offensive with coffee and licorice (rather than the molasses or coffee I was hoping for after the smell lured me in).

M: Heavy and more syrupy than I expected.

O: Average. Starts out good and let's you down just a little bit. I would drink again, but might look at other options if available.

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

Reviewed from notes taken at the Minneapolis Republic. Poured from the tap into a pint glass on 6/25/11.

Pours as dark as night with 2 fingers of mocha colored head that dissipates leaving little lacing but a thick oily resin on the glass. Just a wonderful presentation.

Smell is tons of roasted malt and chocolate as well as an awesome mix of coffee. As it warms this beer gets better and better, with tons of chocolate goodness. Great smell as well.

Taste is the same as the smell and just as great. Tons of sweet roasted malt and chocolate as well as some coffee flavors. Wow what can I say just awesome.

Mouthfeel is light to moderate... It looks smells and tastes like an Imperial stout and it even leaves a nice choco/coffee resin on the pallet but it has a very nice carbonation and is so lite as far as weight and density. It really makes you want to drink more and is refreshing even though you are getting slammed with taste. Top notch.

Overall this is one of the best Imperial Stout's that I have ever had. In fact it is now my favorite stout. Yes even more so then Darkness, Dark Lord, or Abyss and I absolutely love Abyss. I can't wait until Fulton starts bottling their beers. This is an absolutely must have if you are ever in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Appearance: Black, good head, good lacing.

Smell: Big chocolate smell, some coffee.

Taste: Big sweet chocolate and coffee from start to finish. I like big stouts on the sweet side, and this really hits the spot.

Mouthfeel: Substantial, pretty thick.

Drinkability: Very tasty, only on tap right now.

Tried this at the Hanger Room in Willernie, and was really wowed by the beer. Chocolatey, coffee, not too sweet and not too bitter. Really impressed by this one.

Had on tap tonight at The Hanger Room.

Poured through a randall into my Fulton pint glass. Basically a randall is a vessel. In the vessel was fresh Peace whole coffee beans with fresh whole bean vanilla. The beer passes through each then pours into your glass.

I will start my review by saying that I have heard of this beer before I have ever tried it. Reviews were epic type shit(word of mouth) , Paul Bunyon and Babe The Blue Ox. Needless to say I was excited to get my snicker bar type piano fingers around it.

Holy Lord. Accusations were true. Deep dark jet black. Three fingers of mocha head. Two feet away I can smell the coffee. Pretty much ridiculous. Upon taste the brew is slightly hop forward. That boils down to un-noticeable. Rich coffee notes and vanilla unfold. It smells epic. In the mouth the rich coffee and vanilla are prevalent but they also give way to chocolate and roast. Not heavily but certainly noticeable.

It is rarely I am wowed in a beer. All I can say is holy fuck this is good.

4.26/5  rDev +3.6%

$5 on tap at Grumpys? Sounds good. Poured into a mug :(

Pours a super dark brown, with a small caramel head. Smell is roasty with some good coffee undertones. Not super aromatic.

Taste is outstanding. Good coffee and chocolate and malt (ate a small piece of Oreo birthday cake with this and it was damn near orgasmic)

Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin. I really expected more, and it did affect the taste a bit, a thicker richer mouthfeel would have really helped hold the flavors more.

Overall, really good RIS. When they bottle this I'll be buying some more. Not quite on the level of a darkness, but a good local RIS.

3.66/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Fulton's Worthy Adversary was the cask of the moment at the Groveland Tap in St. Paul, MN. I love sampling cask beers, and I looked forward to giving the Adversary a try. I was not disappointed.

Appearance: The cask was served in a 16 oz. glass. The color was dark and dense, just right for a Russian Imperial Stout. It was topped with about a finger width of tan foam.

Smell: The aroma was filled with chocolate and cherry notes and a slight hint of coffee.

Taste: It had a strong roasted flavor, quite sweet, and very light on the hops. I also detected a tad bit of chocolate on the first couple sips. The chocolate flavor seemed to be more apparent the more I drank. The high alcohol content (9.2%) was evident.

Mouthfeel: Creamy mouthfeel, almost a tad syrupy.

Drinkability: A pleasant cask experience, although it was a little too sweet for my taste. It would probably make a great dessert beer. I can even imagine an ice cream float prepared with the Worthy Adversary. Yum!

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Cast in a classic ebon hue, in the glass, topeed with a rich, creamy, luscious head of tanned cocoa-toned foam. Really looks the part, though it could be tad darker, burnt, roastier...then, I'd know it was for real. Beautiful.

Creamy aroma, light, sweet chocolate, toffe, & nuts. Wish there was more in this department, it's squeeking a little too quietly for my liking. Nice enough, though.

In the mouth and on the palate, it fills the room, but doesn't dominate. There's chocolate here, carob, some some fig, a touch of dates, maybe...well, I'm not getting ash/charcoal/smoke,etc...it's dry, but not that roasty or burnt. Not too sweet, mind you, but, well, just doesn't reach the depths I like to dwell in when I dive into a great Imperial Stout. Tasty, for sure. Drinkable, (despit the unknown, but surely high abv.)yes.

Oh, wait, now...halfway into the glass, we're getting deeper and darker, more flavor's coming through. I'm liking it as a stout, but can't put it into the same league as the best Imperials out there, not yet, ...but, it's not far off, either. A bit more experience and tweaking, and this beer could be much beter. As it is, I do like it. Recommend it. Will continue to drink it, and while I do, try not to think of how little it's like Expedition, Darkness, or Old Rasputin.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last