Hinano - Brasserie de Tahiti S.A.

HinanoHinano

poor

Brasserie de Tahiti S.A. visit their website
French Polynesia

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-25-2002

Pale yellow color. Large fizzy head. Aroma is fizzy yellow beer, corn and medicinal. First off I think Hinano is Tahitian for Budweiser. It's a typical fizzy yellow lager. Kind of harsh. So, I added a beer from Tahiti to my list. Mouthfeel is thin. Finish is harsh. Aftertaste is bitter. Bad stuff. Avoid if possible. (317 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -59.6%

Garbage

Pale yellow, big bubbled carbonation, fizzy white head, sporadic lacing.

Grainy, adjunct, corn, sweetness, to give it some credit this macro lager has a slight fruity presence that is hard to reach for but I'm trying to be constructive. Touch of a hop twinger towards the end, sour, grinding sour finish.

Notes: I really don't know why I put myself through some of these beers that I reckon will perform like most macro lagers. Actually check that statement. I know why I do this, its because I'm on a mission. To sample everything that passes my way. If your not on a mission ...Pass on this. (610 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -48.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle marked best before 08/13/08 into a Nonic Glass.

Formed a nice 2" head at first that died down to lacing on sides of glass and atop the beer. Color is very light yellow and very clear.

Smell is of malts and corn, not unlike a BMC brew. Taste follows smell. Very week on palate - almost watery. Aftertaste is not pleasant and i only drink more to temporarily kill aftertaste.

I've heard a lot about this brew, now I am questioning the people who recommended it. I'm cutting out the middle man on this one and gonna pour rest out. (556 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a light blonde color lager with a pure white foamy head with some good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of semi-sweet malt is mostly bland. Taste is also dominated by some semi-sweet notes of malt with little else if maybe some traces of oxidation. Definitely not the worst pale lager I had but not the most interesting either. (345 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -41.9%

OK, it's from Tahiti, that's all that's unique about it. Maybe it's a notch above Buttwiper, at best. If your passion is to try beers from all over the world, this one will allow you to check Tahiti off your list. Otherwise, save your money and buy a decent beer. (263 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 50cl brown glass bottle with a large white, blue and red oval label. Listed as a Product of France [French Polynesia] and brewed by Brasserie de Tahiti. States that this has been “Brewed since 1955 according to the traditional process of master brewers”; indeed there is a small separate neck sticker which has the words ‘Anniversaire 50 Anniversary’. Best before 14.02.06.

Appearance: Pale yellow with some gold urine traits. Large expansive white head settles down to a ½” covering. Lots of lacing.

Nose: Musty odors, sweet malts.

Taste: Almost Tasteless, basically. Light feel throughout, a delicate hint of light beer start to finish…..this is the usual fizzy yellow stuff that does not upset anyone.

Mouthfeel: Low feel, carbonation helps to lend some feel and remind you that you have something in your mouth – just.

Drinkability: On a hot day in Long Beach, and my first brew of the day, straight from the fridge it was very easy to accommodate the first few mouthfuls. Afterwards, though, it soon becomes boring and I was soon back in my beer fridge for the next brew before I even finished this one!!

Overall: One of those “Beers of the World” that I so often pick up for a laugh. Well when I realized it was French I guess the laugh was on me, so I didn’t laugh much at this one…..but I got what I expected.

The Good News is that this is from Tahiti and doesn’t look too bad in the Glass.
The Bad News……everything else about it. (1,490 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -39%

Pours a pale golden colour, clear with generous fluffy head, nice sinkage. Lace is decent. Looks lagery, but the head is really lovely.

Smells bitter. Kind of English hop notes, with an earthy, grassy character but also an unappetising adjunct note on the back - corn and rice with a slight honey note resulting. Pretty meh.

Taste is actually quite unpleasant. Sweet sticky honey note with white bread dough, corn and then a resinous and metallic bitterness that is unclean and just emphasises the cloying sweetness rather than cutting through it. VERY meh.

Mouthfeel is alright, not too sticky but it's still pretty flat and listless.

Yeah, an attempt at a bland lager that I wouldn't like anyway, and yet the flavour also manages to be distasteful. Pretty insulting brew. (777 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -38.3%

12 oz bottle best before Sept 07.

Pale yelllow with a fluffy white head. No lacing.

Aroma is grainy with a touch of skunk.

Flavor is grainy, metalic, with a little lemon.
Dry grainy finish.

This is the best beer in Tahiti? I am never going there. If I do I'll make sure to bring my own (298 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -26%

to be fair I feel i must point out that I'm doing this right after having conducted a small gravitational experiment involving a small hole in the bottom of a liquid filled sobe bottle and it's affects on air-flow.

A- After an aggressive pour I managed to get a brief two finger head that initially dissolved into a half finger, sud white. very light straw lighter than champagne. tons of carbonation bubbles too.

N- lots of grain/ maybe rice. reminds me of a barn, not exactly, but that's the image that came to mind when I smelled it. nothing else other than grain and maybe corn coming through.

T- It's one of the most bland beers I've ever had. this beer is ALL mouth-feel. the only flavor I detect is wheat/ straw. other than that it's all texture. better that if it were totally offensive, but still.

M- relatively creamy for it's style but still nice and carbony crisp. rather dry finish.

D- goes down easy, but even when looking to bro, or in the case of where I'm stuck, Brah beer it's nice to be able to taste SOMETHING. this is for beer pong and nothing else. (1,076 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -26%

Appearance: Lovely golden color, undercut by the weak head of large fizzy bubbles that vanishes almost instantly.

Smell: Corn adjunct smell is there, but subtler than most in this style. Notes of fresh hay. Slightly medicinal.

Taste: Flat, uncharacteristic, and bland. No zing. The aftertaste is slightly disagreeable, like wet burlap.

Mouthfeel: Dry and bracing, although somehow that aftertaste clings to the walls of the mouth.

Drinkability: Hold your nose until the 2nd or 3rd, and then you'll be fine. But that's not really the point, is it? (550 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -23.5%

Shared by GT2. Thanks man.

The beer is golden hued and transparent with a white head. The aroma brings macro lager scents, grain. Flavor follows the nose. Light lager and bland. Tastes like a BMC beer for the masses. No thank you.

On a side note, I sure would like to visit Tahiti. I'd even drink this beer if I happened to find myself catching some rays on a Tahitian beach. (377 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -23.1%

50cl can: I saw this in a food store in France and decided why not? This one pours a fairly golden yellow, and it is crystal clear. It had a frothy white head that drops away rather quickly. Fizziness continues in the glass. Slightly sweet aroma, with notes of corn and grassiness. The taste is incredibly bland: where did it go? I get actually a slight tartness, followed by a slight dryness in the aftertaste. Fizzy mouthfeel. Not offensive, but no real reason to buy it, unless you want to add another country to your ratings list. (534 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -20.2%

A finger and half of head on a clear, golden colored body.
The aroma is grain, mostly rice.
The taste has mild bitterness and moderate sweetness. One then the other on the profile.
The texture is a little sticky with moderate carbonation and light body.
The sweetness was a bit much and with the sticky texture makes this a "no-go". (333 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a typical clear, golden color and a small and quickly disappearing head.
Aroma is a pleasant, clean hops.
The taste is surprisingly bitter, but sadly it comes with that unpleasant metallic feel in the aftertaste.
Drinkable and all, but sadly the aftertaste spoils the entire picture. (291 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -18.1%

Having a cold can of this from my mini-bar in my room at Manava Resort in Papeete, Tahiti. Poured with a foaming agent type, white head that soon settled down to a scummy layer and a little lace. Color is a clear, light yellow with loads of large and small bubble trails. Aroma is grain, a little skunk/hop, beer. Flavor is grain bitter sweet with plenty of carbonic tang. Body is there but with carbonic high points clashing with sweetness and the beer. Finish is like flavor and somehow seems to even have a misplaced alcohol warmth. (535 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -14.4%

Smell is sweet with some malt and grain and some herbal hop scent.

Taste is sweet and metallic with a fairly strong bitterness level. Very bitter for the style. Think bitter Budweiser and you have the taste.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability is not so great. It beats a corona but I would pick something else instead. Most annoying thing about this is that strong metallic flavor. Not really pleasant. (406 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -14.4%

The beer pours a pale yellow with a huge foamy white head that takes a little while to dissipate. Looks like a macro lager- just a little better than many American ones.

The smell is not bad- average for the style perhaps, fairly fresh, and definitely with some hops on the nose- somewhat like a soft pilsner.

I've tasted worse- some real (but small) hop presence helps fight the adjunct sweetness, but doesn't fully succeed. If I was in the South Pacific on a beach, I'd drink this. Otherwise, don't bother.

Mouthfeel is not real clean- a little sticky, a little slick and grainy.

Okay drinkability- the sweetness kind of kills it for me. Still a little more bearable than many american macros for me. Nothing to write home about or go out of your way to find. (773 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -13%

330ml bottle, my first Tahitian beer, an appropriate enough find in a Hawaiian grocery store, I suppose.

This beer pours a clear pale golden straw colour, with two fingers of puffy, lustrous bone-white head, which leaves some decently appropriate atoll profile lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of grainy malt, somewhat adjunct-ridden, with a rice and corn sweetness, a slight phenolic fruitiness, and some wisps of skunky, weedy hops. The taste is more grainy rice and corn mash, some plastic metallic unpleasantness somewhere there in the middle, amidst a further vegetal skunkiness.

The bubbles are pretty sedate, the body a medium-light weight, and fairly clammy, which somehow morphs into that certain kind of smoothness. It finishes honed down just to the grainy, plastic, and cooked veggie elements. Hey, wait, what?

Another brick in the wall that is the ongoing proliferation of the plain-ass (I mean that literally) lager to every last corner of the world. Not worthy beyond anything more than a ticking footnote, and cool-ish bottle souvenir. (1,077 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -13%

Stubby style 50cl. brown bottle with fancy 50th anniversary neck label and a Best before: 21.09.06. This stuff pours almost clear, super light, yellow-gold with an inch of white bubbly head. A bit of lace initially. Head dies quickly, mild carbonation.

Smell is sweet, light malt with a hint of lemon. Has a bit of a piss smell to it as well.

Tastes of sweet light malt that fades to a mild hop (almost) bitter finish. The flavor is ok, just a bit on the bland side. Alcohol is not even noticed, is there any?

Mild fizz to the mouthfeel, super light body...beer flavored drinking water? (595 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -12.3%

33cl Can poured into a Coors 'Banquet' vase on 6th June 2012: this beer was brought to me by my parents from a World Cruise.

Looks like your typical lager/pilsner: light golden body which is clear, clean and bright. The huge white head I poured soon fell away which is also very typical of this type of beer.

Regular 'no smell', gets my score of 3 as usual.

The taste is thin and of weak semi-sweet molasses with a tinny, metallic finish which spoiled the whole thing to be honest.

Might work if I was on the beach in Tahiti: but a damp, cold evening in the UK doesn't suit this beer one iota. (597 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -11.6%

Best before date clearly notched.

Extremely pale straw in color; almost translucent in some lighting from the pour. Foamy, bright white head leaving some broken rings of lacing. Very active carbonation.

Corn husks and full wheat aromas. A crisp, adjunct nose: lots of rice and other grains.

Corn, rice, and powdered wheat. Light hints of fruit: pear, apple prior to a crisp grain-flavored finish. Things seem promising (or at least non disastrous) at this point, but soon follows the light cabbage and copper-infused aftertaste.

Light bodied; very fizzy which is pretty much the norm for the style.

Well, par for the course for a 'premium lager beer'. I thought I'd give this Tahitian beer a whirl, and now I've learned my lesson. (745 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -10.5%

500 ml can, bought in France. Pale golden colour, decent head. Weak aroma, some faint fruity and flowery notes. Fairly clean and "neutral" pale lager flavour, which means that there is not much taste, but not too many offensive off-flavours either. Some bitterness in the finish, becomes metallic in the aftertaste. This is swill for the South Pacific heat, not something for beer lovers to search out, unless you want another country in your ratings list. (456 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -10.5%

Golden color with moderate head and some pretty good lacing on the glass. It is kind of ho hum. Smooth and pretty refreshing with some malts and a corn flavor mixed in. Ever so slight presence of a skunk taste but it wasn't too skunky. This was the 58th anniversary Hinaro Tahiti lager I sampled and I have no idea what the anniversary was for. 9 bucks for a six pack in Maui. (376 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Heading south again tonight, from NZ to Tahiti. I've been told it's a generic island lager, and I figured it might be just the order on the first 90 degree day of the year.
Pours a pale straw color with the slightest hint of a white fizzy head. Not much in the way of aroma - a bit of cheap malt, that's about it. Palate is nondescript - light malt, a little chalkiness, and, as others have remarked, a light chemical taste on the finish. Body is light and a little foamy. Not an experience I wish to repeat. (510 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: Fairly sudsy, and good foam on the top. Goes flat fairly quickly as I recall.

Smell: This is pretty skunk. A decent straw malt and lemon hop mixture though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This is pretty bitter. I just think it went bad. Not sure that Tahitian beer is a best-seller, even at a Manhttan Beach fish taco joint. Stale straw malt with slight crispness of seltzer.

Overall Drinkability: Not too disappointing, since I wasn't expecting a great beer. Still, I wish it were a bit more refreshing. (505 characters)

Hinano from Brasserie de Tahiti S.A.