Hinano - Brasserie de Tahiti S.A.

HinanoHinano

poor

Brasserie de Tahiti S.A. visit their website
French Polynesia

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-25-2002)

ygtbsm94, Jan 11, 2013

Pale yellow color. Large fizzy head. Aroma is fizzy yellow beer, corn and medicinal. First off I think Hinano is Tahitian for Budweiser. It's a typical fizzy yellow lager. Kind of harsh. So, I added a beer from Tahiti to my list. Mouthfeel is thin. Finish is harsh. Aftertaste is bitter. Bad stuff. Avoid if possible.

beerguy101, Aug 22, 2003
1.1/5  rDev -60.3%

Garbage

Pale yellow, big bubbled carbonation, fizzy white head, sporadic lacing.

Grainy, adjunct, corn, sweetness, to give it some credit this macro lager has a slight fruity presence that is hard to reach for but I'm trying to be constructive. Touch of a hop twinger towards the end, sour, grinding sour finish.

Notes: I really don't know why I put myself through some of these beers that I reckon will perform like most macro lagers. Actually check that statement. I know why I do this, its because I'm on a mission. To sample everything that passes my way. If your not on a mission ...Pass on this.

DogFood11, Apr 16, 2006
1.43/5  rDev -48.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle marked best before 08/13/08 into a Nonic Glass.

Formed a nice 2" head at first that died down to lacing on sides of glass and atop the beer. Color is very light yellow and very clear.

Smell is of malts and corn, not unlike a BMC brew. Taste follows smell. Very week on palate - almost watery. Aftertaste is not pleasant and i only drink more to temporarily kill aftertaste.

I've heard a lot about this brew, now I am questioning the people who recommended it. I'm cutting out the middle man on this one and gonna pour rest out.

mattster, Jan 04, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a light blonde color lager with a pure white foamy head with some good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of semi-sweet malt is mostly bland. Taste is also dominated by some semi-sweet notes of malt with little else if maybe some traces of oxidation. Definitely not the worst pale lager I had but not the most interesting either.

Phyl21ca, Jan 22, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -45.8%

tbeq00, Jan 05, 2012
1.58/5  rDev -43%

OK, it's from Tahiti, that's all that's unique about it. Maybe it's a notch above Buttwiper, at best. If your passion is to try beers from all over the world, this one will allow you to check Tahiti off your list. Otherwise, save your money and buy a decent beer.

jcalabre, Aug 21, 2003
1.6/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 50cl brown glass bottle with a large white, blue and red oval label. Listed as a Product of France [French Polynesia] and brewed by Brasserie de Tahiti. States that this has been “Brewed since 1955 according to the traditional process of master brewers”; indeed there is a small separate neck sticker which has the words ‘Anniversaire 50 Anniversary’. Best before 14.02.06.

Appearance: Pale yellow with some gold urine traits. Large expansive white head settles down to a ½” covering. Lots of lacing.

Nose: Musty odors, sweet malts.

Taste: Almost Tasteless, basically. Light feel throughout, a delicate hint of light beer start to finish…..this is the usual fizzy yellow stuff that does not upset anyone.

Mouthfeel: Low feel, carbonation helps to lend some feel and remind you that you have something in your mouth – just.

Drinkability: On a hot day in Long Beach, and my first brew of the day, straight from the fridge it was very easy to accommodate the first few mouthfuls. Afterwards, though, it soon becomes boring and I was soon back in my beer fridge for the next brew before I even finished this one!!

Overall: One of those “Beers of the World” that I so often pick up for a laugh. Well when I realized it was French I guess the laugh was on me, so I didn’t laugh much at this one…..but I got what I expected.

The Good News is that this is from Tahiti and doesn’t look too bad in the Glass.
The Bad News……everything else about it.

TheLongBeachBum, May 09, 2005
1.65/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours a pale golden colour, clear with generous fluffy head, nice sinkage. Lace is decent. Looks lagery, but the head is really lovely.

Smells bitter. Kind of English hop notes, with an earthy, grassy character but also an unappetising adjunct note on the back - corn and rice with a slight honey note resulting. Pretty meh.

Taste is actually quite unpleasant. Sweet sticky honey note with white bread dough, corn and then a resinous and metallic bitterness that is unclean and just emphasises the cloying sweetness rather than cutting through it. VERY meh.

Mouthfeel is alright, not too sticky but it's still pretty flat and listless.

Yeah, an attempt at a bland lager that I wouldn't like anyway, and yet the flavour also manages to be distasteful. Pretty insulting brew.

laituegonflable, May 19, 2012
1.68/5  rDev -39.4%

12 oz bottle best before Sept 07.

Pale yelllow with a fluffy white head. No lacing.

Aroma is grainy with a touch of skunk.

Flavor is grainy, metalic, with a little lemon.
Dry grainy finish.

This is the best beer in Tahiti? I am never going there. If I do I'll make sure to bring my own

Padron4KM, Apr 13, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance: Lovely golden color, undercut by the weak head of large fizzy bubbles that vanishes almost instantly.

Smell: Corn adjunct smell is there, but subtler than most in this style. Notes of fresh hay. Slightly medicinal.

Taste: Flat, uncharacteristic, and bland. No zing. The aftertaste is slightly disagreeable, like wet burlap.

Mouthfeel: Dry and bracing, although somehow that aftertaste clings to the walls of the mouth.

Drinkability: Hold your nose until the 2nd or 3rd, and then you'll be fine. But that's not really the point, is it?

Hunter, Oct 26, 2007

bpfrush, Nov 16, 2011

jaydoc, Oct 31, 2013

oline73, Jan 10, 2013

EvanWilliams, Dec 23, 2012

to be fair I feel i must point out that I'm doing this right after having conducted a small gravitational experiment involving a small hole in the bottom of a liquid filled sobe bottle and it's affects on air-flow.

A- After an aggressive pour I managed to get a brief two finger head that initially dissolved into a half finger, sud white. very light straw lighter than champagne. tons of carbonation bubbles too.

N- lots of grain/ maybe rice. reminds me of a barn, not exactly, but that's the image that came to mind when I smelled it. nothing else other than grain and maybe corn coming through.

T- It's one of the most bland beers I've ever had. this beer is ALL mouth-feel. the only flavor I detect is wheat/ straw. other than that it's all texture. better that if it were totally offensive, but still.

M- relatively creamy for it's style but still nice and carbony crisp. rather dry finish.

D- goes down easy, but even when looking to bro, or in the case of where I'm stuck, Brah beer it's nice to be able to taste SOMETHING. this is for beer pong and nothing else.

irishevans, Oct 08, 2010

2neardead, Jun 01, 2012

tom10101, May 06, 2014
2.1/5  rDev -24.2%

Shared by GT2. Thanks man.

The beer is golden hued and transparent with a white head. The aroma brings macro lager scents, grain. Flavor follows the nose. Light lager and bland. Tastes like a BMC beer for the masses. No thank you.

On a side note, I sure would like to visit Tahiti. I'd even drink this beer if I happened to find myself catching some rays on a Tahitian beach.

Huhzubendah, Jan 08, 2013
2.13/5  rDev -23.1%

A finger and half of head on a clear, golden colored body.
The aroma is grain, mostly rice.
The taste has mild bitterness and moderate sweetness. One then the other on the profile.
The texture is a little sticky with moderate carbonation and light body.
The sweetness was a bit much and with the sticky texture makes this a "no-go".

Fatehunter, Jan 19, 2013
2.13/5  rDev -23.1%

50cl can: I saw this in a food store in France and decided why not? This one pours a fairly golden yellow, and it is crystal clear. It had a frothy white head that drops away rather quickly. Fizziness continues in the glass. Slightly sweet aroma, with notes of corn and grassiness. The taste is incredibly bland: where did it go? I get actually a slight tartness, followed by a slight dryness in the aftertaste. Fizzy mouthfeel. Not offensive, but no real reason to buy it, unless you want to add another country to your ratings list.

Boto, Sep 23, 2006
2.21/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a typical clear, golden color and a small and quickly disappearing head.
Aroma is a pleasant, clean hops.
The taste is surprisingly bitter, but sadly it comes with that unpleasant metallic feel in the aftertaste.
Drinkable and all, but sadly the aftertaste spoils the entire picture.

MarkoNm, Jan 23, 2014
2.23/5  rDev -19.5%

Having a cold can of this from my mini-bar in my room at Manava Resort in Papeete, Tahiti. Poured with a foaming agent type, white head that soon settled down to a scummy layer and a little lace. Color is a clear, light yellow with loads of large and small bubble trails. Aroma is grain, a little skunk/hop, beer. Flavor is grain bitter sweet with plenty of carbonic tang. Body is there but with carbonic high points clashing with sweetness and the beer. Finish is like flavor and somehow seems to even have a misplaced alcohol warmth.

drpimento, Jan 10, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -18.8%

crobinso, Jun 10, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -18.8%

Garrett092112, Dec 11, 2012
Hinano from Brasserie de Tahiti S.A.