Hinano - Brasserie de Tahiti S.A.

HinanoHinano

poor

Brasserie de Tahiti S.A. visit their website
French Polynesia

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-25-2002)
2.55/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This has one a terrific label. I can picture myself (a version of myself that likes macro lagers and can surf a lot better) hanging out on a deserted beach with a cute Islander, who I had met in town the night before, swigging a cold bottle after catching some waves.

Appearance: The pour is light gold with a foamy white head that fades, leaving a thin layer and a bit of lacing.

Smell: The nose has grains and grassy hops, but not much of either.

Taste: The taste has what's in the aroma and it's also pretty light. As the beer warms up, some ratio of hops and carbonation give the beer a bit of a bite at the finish. It's a strangely aggressive, but it makes an ordinary flavor profile more interesting.

Mouthfeel: It's light-bodied, but heavier for the style, with the bite at the finish.

Drinkability: Try to stay lost in the fantasy and drink the beer cold. It's certainly not worth the price.

goschool, Jan 10, 2007
3.18/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a brilliantly clear, yellow gold color. It is topped by an initially three-finger thick, frothy, pale off white colored head that actually leaves some lacing patterns on the side of my glass. The aroma is sweet and mild; a touch of herbal hops, hints of lemon grass, and a grassy grain-like character. There is certainly nothing wrong with the aroma, not what I look for in a beer, but certainly not noticeable flaws so far.

Served quite cold, this beer at first seems to leave no sensory notes as it crosses my palate. Definitely has a light grain malt sweetness, but it actually has quite a bite to it as well. The combination of carbonation and hop bitterness give this beer a, relatively, sharp biting character that starts out at its most intense as soon as the beer hits the mouth, but then mellows through to a lingering finish of light bitterness. A kiss of lightly herbal hop notes and a grassy grain note add a touch to the flavors found in this beer. This beer is far from bad, but certainly does not have that intensity of flavor I look for in a beer. It is actually quite easily quaffable, and I could see it hitting the spot on a really hot day. Not bad, I was expecting far worse but this beer is nice an clean.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

Gueuzedude, Nov 02, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +22%

I'm not sure why, but I really dig this beer. I figured I would try it, while I was visiting Oakland back in September, and to my surprise it was very drinkable. It's not like it's a very complex beer by any means, but I feel that it is well balanced in it's own right, thus making it an easy beer to down. Along with the nice balance of malts and hops, it has a light smokey finish to it, which caps it off nicely. I wish there was someway of getting it down here in SC though. Otherwise, I'll have to get it when I visit Cali once a year.

JISurfer, Oct 24, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -23.1%

50cl can: I saw this in a food store in France and decided why not? This one pours a fairly golden yellow, and it is crystal clear. It had a frothy white head that drops away rather quickly. Fizziness continues in the glass. Slightly sweet aroma, with notes of corn and grassiness. The taste is incredibly bland: where did it go? I get actually a slight tartness, followed by a slight dryness in the aftertaste. Fizzy mouthfeel. Not offensive, but no real reason to buy it, unless you want to add another country to your ratings list.

Boto, Sep 23, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -15.9%

The beer pours a pale yellow with a huge foamy white head that takes a little while to dissipate. Looks like a macro lager- just a little better than many American ones.

The smell is not bad- average for the style perhaps, fairly fresh, and definitely with some hops on the nose- somewhat like a soft pilsner.

I've tasted worse- some real (but small) hop presence helps fight the adjunct sweetness, but doesn't fully succeed. If I was in the South Pacific on a beach, I'd drink this. Otherwise, don't bother.

Mouthfeel is not real clean- a little sticky, a little slick and grainy.

Okay drinkability- the sweetness kind of kills it for me. Still a little more bearable than many american macros for me. Nothing to write home about or go out of your way to find.

Georgiabeer, Aug 07, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Lightly flecked, pale haystack yellow with a caulk white head that occupies the upper half of the glass after a less than vigorous pour. The cap actually looks pretty good. Why is it that nearly every little known beer from every corner of the world has a better looking lid than the offerings from BMC? An acceptable amount of lace finds its way to the glass.

The nose fits the style to a 'T'. Positives are that it smells like fresh grain and lightly musky hops (an absence of nastiness is a positive too, I suppose). Negatives are that it isn't very aromatic and... that it isn't very interesting. It's hard to make an AML interesting, I know.

Hinano certainly is bold on the palate. In fact, it has a bit of a malt liquor swagger about it with much less alcohol. Maybe not 'much less' since alcohol is easily identified as a member of the flavor profile; unusual in a beer of this style. Anyone expecting a beer that is as gentle and as lovely as the Tahitian girl on the label will be mightily disappointed.

I'm doing okay so far--about halfway through the bottle--but the harshness is beginning to wear on me. I'm all for boldness of flavor, but this one is a bit too raw, especially considering the absence of truly good flavors to chew on. Bitter outduels sweet with sharply grassy noble hops bathed in ethanol as the dominant contributor.

The body is firmly medium for the style and doesn't dissipate in the least on the finish. I have no quarrel with the amount of carbonation in particular, nor with the mouthfeel in general. A little softer would be better, since the flavor gives no quarter in that regard.

Hinano is a different sort of beer. It's an amped up version of the usual AML/EPL dreck that impresses with its aggressive, at least at first. However, if I want to imagine myself in a hammock on a South Seas beach with a lovely native girl, I'd like to imagine myself drinking something a little more approachable.

BuckeyeNation, Aug 04, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -12.6%

Stubby style 50cl. brown bottle with fancy 50th anniversary neck label and a Best before: 21.09.06. This stuff pours almost clear, super light, yellow-gold with an inch of white bubbly head. A bit of lace initially. Head dies quickly, mild carbonation.

Smell is sweet, light malt with a hint of lemon. Has a bit of a piss smell to it as well.

Tastes of sweet light malt that fades to a mild hop (almost) bitter finish. The flavor is ok, just a bit on the bland side. Alcohol is not even noticed, is there any?

Mild fizz to the mouthfeel, super light body...beer flavored drinking water?

scottoale, May 05, 2006
2.45/5  rDev -11.6%

Best before date clearly notched.

Extremely pale straw in color; almost translucent in some lighting from the pour. Foamy, bright white head leaving some broken rings of lacing. Very active carbonation.

Corn husks and full wheat aromas. A crisp, adjunct nose: lots of rice and other grains.

Corn, rice, and powdered wheat. Light hints of fruit: pear, apple prior to a crisp grain-flavored finish. Things seem promising (or at least non disastrous) at this point, but soon follows the light cabbage and copper-infused aftertaste.

Light bodied; very fizzy which is pretty much the norm for the style.

Well, par for the course for a 'premium lager beer'. I thought I'd give this Tahitian beer a whirl, and now I've learned my lesson.

NEhophead, Apr 30, 2006
1.1/5  rDev -60.3%

Garbage

Pale yellow, big bubbled carbonation, fizzy white head, sporadic lacing.

Grainy, adjunct, corn, sweetness, to give it some credit this macro lager has a slight fruity presence that is hard to reach for but I'm trying to be constructive. Touch of a hop twinger towards the end, sour, grinding sour finish.

Notes: I really don't know why I put myself through some of these beers that I reckon will perform like most macro lagers. Actually check that statement. I know why I do this, its because I'm on a mission. To sample everything that passes my way. If your not on a mission ...Pass on this.

DogFood11, Apr 16, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -10.5%

500 ml can, bought in France. Pale golden colour, decent head. Weak aroma, some faint fruity and flowery notes. Fairly clean and "neutral" pale lager flavour, which means that there is not much taste, but not too many offensive off-flavours either. Some bitterness in the finish, becomes metallic in the aftertaste. This is swill for the South Pacific heat, not something for beer lovers to search out, unless you want another country in your ratings list.

Sigmund, Mar 05, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -15.9%

Smell is sweet with some malt and grain and some herbal hop scent.

Taste is sweet and metallic with a fairly strong bitterness level. Very bitter for the style. Think bitter Budweiser and you have the taste.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability is not so great. It beats a corona but I would pick something else instead. Most annoying thing about this is that strong metallic flavor. Not really pleasant.

Zorro, Aug 07, 2005
1.6/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 50cl brown glass bottle with a large white, blue and red oval label. Listed as a Product of France [French Polynesia] and brewed by Brasserie de Tahiti. States that this has been “Brewed since 1955 according to the traditional process of master brewers”; indeed there is a small separate neck sticker which has the words ‘Anniversaire 50 Anniversary’. Best before 14.02.06.

Appearance: Pale yellow with some gold urine traits. Large expansive white head settles down to a ½” covering. Lots of lacing.

Nose: Musty odors, sweet malts.

Taste: Almost Tasteless, basically. Light feel throughout, a delicate hint of light beer start to finish…..this is the usual fizzy yellow stuff that does not upset anyone.

Mouthfeel: Low feel, carbonation helps to lend some feel and remind you that you have something in your mouth – just.

Drinkability: On a hot day in Long Beach, and my first brew of the day, straight from the fridge it was very easy to accommodate the first few mouthfuls. Afterwards, though, it soon becomes boring and I was soon back in my beer fridge for the next brew before I even finished this one!!

Overall: One of those “Beers of the World” that I so often pick up for a laugh. Well when I realized it was French I guess the laugh was on me, so I didn’t laugh much at this one…..but I got what I expected.

The Good News is that this is from Tahiti and doesn’t look too bad in the Glass.
The Bad News……everything else about it.

TheLongBeachBum, May 09, 2005
3.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Picked this up on my recent trip to Maui (where beer selection wreaks!) in a 16oz bottle with a woman on the label with the words "Tahiti Hinano"

Poured this into a pint glass and the color was expectingly clear with a fluffy head that lasted the entire glass. There was carbonation bubbles running rampant from the bottom of my glass. The taste, smell, and mouthfeel is typical of a warm weather lager. Obviuosly anyone who has tasted this before knows it is not a knock-out punch, but it is one of those beers just need to be consumed on the beach.

ALESwhatCURESya, Mar 22, 2005
3.15/5  rDev +13.7%

1 pt. 9 fl. oz (50 cl) brown bottle, noting it was brewed in Tahiti, but a product of France(?) Dated 07 09 05, assumed best by.
Aroma: Bready yeast, almost Grolsch like with almost a biscuit malt smell.
Appearance: Very clear pale yellow, white head was short lived and left minor lace in its wake.
Flavor: Fairly clean taste, much like an adjunct lager. Mild metallic finish with a slight touch of lemon.
Mouthfeel: Full carbonation, lighter body, clean finish.
Overall Impression: A standard macro lager, clean, refreshing, unremarkable.

HardTarget, Jan 08, 2005
3.63/5  rDev +31%

12/16/04- Purchased at Bevmo in San Mateo, CA

Appearance- Pours a light straw colored yellow with a medium large bubbled head and next to no lacing.

Smell- Heavy on the malt. Maybe a bit of sweetness hovering around.

Taste- Some sweetness backed up by a bunch of malt. Still pretty clean and crisp.

Mouthfeel- A tad bit overcarbonated. A heavier feeling beer. Kinda like a macro, but still went down well.

Drinkability- Not bad. I would rahter drink these all day than Corona's. More flavor at least. Drinkable

GClarkage, Dec 16, 2004
3.33/5  rDev +20.2%

Soft creamy head on a very pale golden color body that's quite active. The smell is grainy and fresh with some citrus; some caramelized plum pie aspects appear later on. Nothing very exciting in the taste, some fruity notes, some grain, and a round and alost hidden hoppiness in the back of the palate. The mouthfeeel is quite good for a pale lager, thicker than expected, creamy and round. A decent lager.

tjd25, Jun 24, 2004

Pale yellow color. Large fizzy head. Aroma is fizzy yellow beer, corn and medicinal. First off I think Hinano is Tahitian for Budweiser. It's a typical fizzy yellow lager. Kind of harsh. So, I added a beer from Tahiti to my list. Mouthfeel is thin. Finish is harsh. Aftertaste is bitter. Bad stuff. Avoid if possible.

beerguy101, Aug 22, 2003
1.58/5  rDev -43%

OK, it's from Tahiti, that's all that's unique about it. Maybe it's a notch above Buttwiper, at best. If your passion is to try beers from all over the world, this one will allow you to check Tahiti off your list. Otherwise, save your money and buy a decent beer.

jcalabre, Aug 21, 2003
2.8/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a clear, straw color with a white head and good lacing. The aroma has a bit of hops, but the majority is a grainy smell. The flavor is a bit grainy, a bit sweet, with a light hop flavor. It is light bodied, refreshing, and easy drinking; that is really all there is to this offering. Got this one from STUBOB's sis, who brought it back from Tahiti.

BeerBuilder, May 01, 2003

This beer poured a light golden yellow with average foam and very little lace. The smell was pleasant but nothing outstanding. The taste had a sort of spicy tangy flavor that had a mild bitterness in the finish. Not what I would buy again, but worth drinking if I were in Tahiti. BUT since it French, not thanks, for now!

BeerManDan, Apr 17, 2003
3.83/5  rDev +38.3%

I am sure that the ambience of the Island of Bora Bora had a lot to do with just how good this beer is. But that said. This lager is very much like a pilsner with a moderate hop flavor. It pours very golden and very clear. The head is white and bubbly and short lived. The nose is average with some malt. The taste was a dry malt with just a hint hops. This beer was extremely refreshing after along hard day of snorkeling in the reefs that surround Bora Bora. I drank an awful lot of this beer while we were there on our honeymoon and it was the perfect beer for that environment. I sure wish I could get it here. If there is anything I can recommend is trying this beer, on beech in Bora Bora watching the sunset. This is part of a whole experience and not just a beer.

AtrumAnimus, Mar 14, 2003
3.48/5  rDev +25.6%

Once upon a time I thought this beer was beer heaven. Of course there was very little better beer even being made at the time. I also was indulging on the beautiful island of Bora Bora, what the hell wouldn't taste great! Sometimes this beer is available in my area and I pick some up for nostaligic feelings. A typical light lager that can be refreshing on a hot day. Pure white head and lacing was nice, smooth and there are some hops in there.One improvement in the last few years is that this beer now comes in brown rather than green bottles. I thought XlPerro's review was a bit harsh but then this beer is the key to so many great memories.

Mark, Jan 19, 2003
Hinano from Brasserie de Tahiti S.A.