Feathertop Pumpkin Stout - Flat Tail Brewing

Flat Tail Brewing visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Stout |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with pumpkin, cinnamon, and vanilla beans.

(Beer added by: MaltsOfGlory on 01-23-2012)
3.15/5  rDev +21.2%

Served on tap into a shaker glass at Mama's Hot Wings

A- Poured a very dark brown, frothy mocha colored head that left speckled lace.

S- Some nutmeg and chocolate notes, a pretty faint aroma

T- Nutmeg and chocolate flavors, not really anything else, finishes pretty watery

M- Lighter body, watery finish, not much body for a an 8% stout

O- Easy to drink with some nice nutmeg and chocolate notes. A pretty weak body for a stout like this and not very complex. I prefer Flat Tail's Pumpkin Saison to this Pumpkin Stout, the saison is really incredible.

Hoptometrist, Nov 11, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -21.2%

(Shortened) Pours a pretty bad looking head. I didn’t even tilt the glass throughout the entire pour because the beer was so stingy with giving me any head. I poured it super aggressively and it only gave me about a quarter finger of head, that’s already pretty much gone. The head was extremely soapy, with mostly medium sized bubbles, in fact, the medium bubbles are all that remain now, everything else is gone. Can’t really tell how the lacing will be, we’ll have to see as I get to the bottom of the glass. The body is completely pitch black, I mean just…absolutely nothing going on other than black in the color. When I shine it up to the brightest light in my room I get a tiny hint of brown in the body, but that’s it. One of the darkest beers I have had in a long while. Can’t see anything in the way of carbonation, it’s too dark. I don’t know why I’m saying this, because I can’t really see through the beer enough to tell, but it seems like it’s going to be lighter, rather than thicker. Maybe just how the way the beer is rolling around in the glass, I dunno, I just get that feeling. Overall not a great looking beer, other than the dark body it’s not that great of an appearance. This is supposed to be a pumpkin stout huh…doesn’t really smell that much like one at all. On the nose I get mostly very rough malts, dark, smoked, stingy, almost like a Rauchbeir would smell. I get the smallest aroma of pumpkin, and maybe some vanilla hidden in there somewhere, no cinnamon at all though. Really…the smell is just ridiculously small and boring considering how many ingredients are supposed to be in it. It smells like a very rough beer, and a very flavorless beer. I wish there was more to talk about, but there isn’t. It smells very rough, and boring, not a great smell, it’s very generous of me to give it a 3. Good lord, this beer is not good, wow. I had a Rauchbeir for the first time over a month ago and I haven’t posted the review yet. Needless to say I hated the Rachbeir, and this tastes almost exactly like it. I mean…not only is it a horrible flavor, but it tastes nothing like a stout at all, and with that being said, nothing like a pumpkin stout. There is barely any pumpkin on the flavor at all, zero cinnamon, and maybe MAYBE the tinniest bit of vanilla. I mean it’s just like the smell, super low flavor. And then there is the Rauchbeir taste, it’s without doubt the biggest flavor in the beer, it’s a smoked, meaty taste.

MaltsOfGlory, Jan 23, 2012
Feathertop Pumpkin Stout from Flat Tail Brewing
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.