Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Maredsous 8 - Brune - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Maredsous 8 - BruneMaredsous 8 - Brune

Avg: 4
pDev: 11%
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 01-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maredsous 8 - Brune Alström Bros
Reviews: 642 | Hads: 1,320

8 is a regular on tap at the Filmore - 10 in bottles. What a treat to all senses. Very complex from start to end. Maredsous glasses are designed to get the most out of the beer - and they do. all 5's !! I'm headed back again tonight to confirm my findings.

Filmore Pub, Plano, TX

This is a special beer. Served at the Eulogy bar. This one is just about perfect in every way. I can find no faults and would not change a thing. First of all the beer was served in it’s own special goblet and had a wonderful deep copper brown color. Perfect appearance with a superb clarity and was topped off with a rich creamy head. The aroma was strong in caramel and roasted malts. A very buttery and smooth body with a rich mouthfeel. Slightly sticky and candy sweet. Flavors that come through are complex, but not too intense. Molasses, brown sugar, caramel along with a hidden spiciness. Alcohol is barely noticeable. If I had to choose only one desert island beer, this would be near the top of the list. Outstanding.

4.92/5  rDev +23%

This beer is one of my favorites.

Pours dark a brown with thick light brown head that slowly wanes.

The aroma has a smell of sweet fruitiness with a shot of roasted malt sharpness. (and more)

The taste is of the nectar form the beer gods.
It seems the flavor only improves as the glass empties.
It has sweetness, malts, many fruits, with hints of alcohol and bitterness.

Thick in the mouth. A great feel.

Again, Maredsous 8 is one of my favorite beers. Although I have not tried their 6 or 10 yet, but I will.
There are are better beers but this is a great one.

4.87/5  rDev +21.8%

Poured from 330mL bottle into one of my Trappist-style stemmed glasses. Immediately noticed the rich color, this is definitely an Abbey Dubbel. Head set up very nicely but not too thick, fairly low in carbonation. Then it hit me. That glorious scent of caramel malt. Very potent in scent immediately upon pouring, about 10 minutes of breathing time and the scent mellows. My first sip of this beer and I immediately thought, "Wow!" This is one of the only Belgian dubbels that I have had that wasn't too overpowering on the first sip. Most that I've had usually seem too sweet on first sip so I generally gravitate towards the tripels, which have more bite. My second sip, and I knew that this was a VERY GOOD beer. Mouthfeel typical of most top-quality Belgian styles, almost "fluffy" and light while still reminding you how big the beer really is. While this is a very drinkable beer, the 8% ABV is not to be taken lightly. If this had been a 750mL bottle, it may have been too much for a Wednesday night. :)

4.82/5  rDev +20.5%

What a beer. This beer is proof that beer has as much variety as wine, probably more. Unbelievable! I had this on tap at Croxley's Ales in Long Island. So fresh, as soon as he poured it, I could smell it as he brought it over. Meduim darkness paired with a rich, creamy head that never dissipated. Aromas of rasins and plums waft into your nose. Also on the taste, you could sense all the fruit. More ripe plums and rasins, combined with a slight toasted malt flavor. Very rich, warming and alcoholic. It reminded me of rich port. This is a brew to really sit and sip after dinner or any memorable occasion.

4.8/5  rDev +20%

Served into a tulip out of a bottle, immediately you can see the quality in the beer. It pours a dark ruby brown that is transparent underneath a luscious head that laces down the tulip. In the nose you get yeast, bread and dried fruit among others.

Just about all that comes across on the nose translates into the mouth as you get a roasted bread, dried fruits and sweetness that is complexity at it's very best. It is an easy drinking 8 abv but there is enough on the alcohol to let you know it's power. I would imagine this ages well but mine didn't last more than 10 minutes :)

This is a great example of a True Belgium Dubbel and at a nice price as well.. maybe the best I ever had for the price (value) but overall not my favorite dubbel but one I will revisit often.Well done Maredsous.. cheers!

4.8/5  rDev +20%

Found this dark gem on tap at the always ineffable Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia.

Surprised to be served this hearty dubbel in a tulip glass rather than a chalice or wine glass. From the deep reddish brown color, I almost thought I had been served a Sour Flemish Ale by mistake. The way it was poured, the head was less than half an inch, but it was tight and creamy, and laced the glass to the end. The color was warm and dark. Smell was... well, a waiter walked by with a bucket of very garlicky Provence Mussels, so I got a little distracted. Sorry.

Front of the tongue was quite crisp, slightly fruity (plum, maybe) caramel malt. Middle of the tongue instantly warmed by alcohol and spice (cloves?). By the time it rolled to the back of my throat, a nice full caramel malt had developed with hints of fig, slightly sweet, a little smokey, but without the molasses-y bite that I almost expected.

My brother tasted it and said, "Dude, this is a hold-your-smoke kind of beer."

This was, indeed, an exceptional beer, and a benchmark for other dubbels. I'm eager to find out how much difference there is between the tap and bottle versions.

4.79/5  rDev +19.8%

draught poured into a chalice. pours a deep copper with a small off-white head. no lacings on the glass.

aroma is of sweet caramel malts, with a yeasty base. fruit ester notes include apricot, apple, grape and plum. the aroma is very well balanced, with a bold and complex character.

taste is of the same caramel and munich malts up front, with the same fruity base. fruit esters here include a more pronounced apple, with apricot and grape fading a bit from the aroma. still very well balanced without a hint of the 8% APV until the brew warms quite a bit.

mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. no alcohol or CO2 is present at time of serving, with some alcohol creating a slight bite as the brew warms. a very smooth finish make this one a finely crafted brew.

drinkability is very good. this is a sweet dubbel with great masking of the alcohol, while remaining only mildly sweet. this is a solid belgian brew that has a wonderfully diverse yeasty base. cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap. Big caramel and grain nose with traces of anise and dark dried fruit. Brilliant brown under a very creamy, persistent light tan cap. The palate is creamy and laced with dark dried fruit with faint hints of cola and fruit cake. Finishes with a light bitter accent. Medium full body and medium carbonation.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured into a goblet from an incredibly awesome 11.2 oz bottle.

4.5 A: Opaque amber brown color. Head is frothy as hell and retains well and leaves tons of off white lacing. Beautiful beer.

4.5 S: Lovely dark fruits, especially plum, some raisin, some tobacco to cap it off.

5.0 T: All the crap in the nose is in the taste too, though tobacco takes a back seat. Then there is a wave of flavors that result from the yeast. Spiciness with lots of pepper hitting you hard. A little medicinal, but not in a bad way. Alcohol shows up to the party too, but isn't overwhelming. This beer is incredibly complex and I'm not sure I could find a better dubbel.

5.0 M: Heavy Medium body. Perfectly smooth and spritzy at the same time.

4.5 D: This is one of the least boring beers out there. You need to sip it though to appreciate it, but I must say I would mind sipping the hell out of a 4-pack.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured out a rich, dark brown with just a few hints of amber into my trusty Duvel tulip. There was a nice, fluffy, tan head that persisted for quite a while and left excellent lacing.

The nose was very rich -- lots of toasted malts up front with a good hint of raisins, as well as some more subtle butterscotch and toffee on the back end. The flavor profile matched -- heavy on the toasted malts, with a nice fuity and spicy flavor. It was almost like cinnamon raising toast, but right before the bitter back end of the flavor profile kept it from being over-sweet. A very complex, delicious beer.

The mouthfeel was excellent: good body without being too thick; just enough carbonation. Maredsous 8 is one of my favorit brews; quite drinkable and always delicious.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

From bottle dated 01 2013 at Rattle n Hum. Definite brune aroma, but not very potent. Poured to a respectable head & left a resonable lacing in the upper reaches of the glass. Texture was a bit thin but the flavor was not.

Although a tad sweet, the first impression is of umami. It has the complex aroma of prunes & (I hate to say it, but...) leather that endS up with a taste much more grounded& earthy. It taste much mor uncuous than it feels. A wonder of aroma, flavor & texture

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%

In a nice chalice/snifter glass.
Rich, creamy head that did lace.
Dark amber coloring with some 'shimmering' of something. I don't think I was not that drunk to halucinate.
A good rich, smooth and tingley taste. Hints of honeydew, pear, some mild spices, biscuit, caramel, and malt in the body. Finish was crisp yet coated a bit just enough to let the taste linger a bit. Very easy drinking, however I gave it a 4.5 due to its richness. couldn't have too many of these.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Uma grande dubbel. Ela é da escola mais avermelhada do estilo, e possui uma interessante peculiaridade. Ela me pareceu seca, assim como vinho. Esse foi uma aspecto agradável. É um cerveja equilibrada e bem gostosa. Mais uma ótima cerveja da Maredsous.

4.68/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Apariencia: Cerveza turbia color marrón intenso con una dorada cabeza de espuma de alta densidad y retención.

Aroma: Aroma agradable a caramelo, azúcar quemada, alcohol. El aroma a lúpulo es prácticamente imperceptible.

Sabor: Sabor ligero a malta con notas a caramelo, melasa, frutas y sensación alcohólica. Agradablemente dulce y sutilmente amarga. Algunas notas de hierbas aromáticas.

Sensación: Cuerpo alto con carbonatación media-alta.

General: Una cerveza bastante rica. Balanceada en sus aspectos y con personalidad. Representa de manera muy adecuada el estilo de cervezas de abadía. Muy recomendable para cerveceros con gusto por los sabores complejos.

4.68/5  rDev +17%

The crystal mug turned a nice rich mahagony with a little cloudy mistyness in color. The head is off white, beige and lacing is beautiful.
The smell hints many flavors which are hard to pinpoint.
But the taste is phenomenal. Your mouth will be filled with a surprising freshness of banana ,chocolate, coffee, and other fruits. A great balance of bittersweet hops at the end, which invigorates for more. great prickly mouthfeel asks for more beer. Very drinkable.One great beer!

4.68/5  rDev +17%

Looks like highly brown color at a glance, but turned to a much lighter shade on the edges. Its thin head sat and never went away no matter how long I left it alone while conversing - this is rare for a dubbel. Also had very good lacing and a bit of staining. Damn good looking.

Smelled of licorice, dark chocolate, and roasted nuts that were more earthy than sweet. Some typical pruny, "dark fruit" scents as well. Taste was first of dark sweet malt, at times seeming prune-ish, but more often a solid, grainy maltiness. Also tasted bitter chocolate and hops with a roasted edge. Refreshing in a dark/roasted way, kinda how a schwarzbier does, this beer had little touches of smoke and sour too. I'd describe it asbelgian sophistication with english stout body and character.

A thicker than normal mouthfeel for a dubbel, too, something I really like. This beer won me over a long time ago in bottle form, great to see that its excellent on tap and available. Have it at cellar temperature. Best dubbel I’ve ever had, pure opinion - many won’t agree. (Opinion may change once my trappists are done cellaring for two years)

4.67/5  rDev +16.8%

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

I foundthis stubby bottle in the back of a shelf in the local liquor I frequent to buy singles. I had tried the Maredsous 10 a few months ago and enjoyed it, but figured there's a lot better tripels out there worth my money. So I took a small chance on this one (fairly cheap too - $2.50). I came back home and saw the best before date was 05 2007 ... doh... and the glass had an 04 etching. Dubbel (sorry..) doh! Will this stand the test of time being exposed to constant light 12 hrs a day in room temperature?

A resounding YES!

The pour was magnificent. Dark brown with a foamy head that stood there for a good five minutes. Just a little Belgian lace appearing while I tilted the glass to my lips. I always get a kick out of seeing the constant streaming of bubbles from the bottom of my glass.

The aroma hit me right away. Raisins and chocolate that's been left in the sun for too long. Raisinettes? Yep ..and just a sniff of old dusty wood too.

First taste was of chocolate mousse, whipped cream, prunes, and figs. The more I think about it... cherries. I couldn't really find much hops. They are there just to barely stop the sweetness. The aftertaste was Brazilian nuts and ripe banana. Towards the end this wandered into stout territory, hints of molasses and licorice. I want more..

If there is a flaw, maybe that it's just a bit too watery. That might be what they were aiming since this is the second Dubbel I've had. Also I didn't get much carbonation after a few swigs. I took all night drinking this one savoring all the different flavors.

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Rich brown/mahogany hue with some ruby highlights and a cream colored head that sticks around till you reach the bottom of the glass. Earthy smell with clove, banana, caramel, dark dried fruit, and a hint of chocolate. Taste is excellent. Caramel and roasty bitter chocolate up front followed by a slightly spiced combination of cherry, fig, and prune. The banana is very faint but always there. Velvety smooth feel despite a pretty fair amount of carbonation. Seemed less sweet than other dubbels I've had, which was a big plus. Really happy to have come across this one...excellent

4.64/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Taking one hit for the team as I am not always the biggest dubbel fan, but the last St. Bernadus was quite tasty, how is this gonna be? Best before April 2016, alright!

Might be one of the best looking dubbels I've seen, hard to say. A gorgeous deep red and dark ruby brown body, with a roaring column of fire in the middle. You have to hold it up to a bright direct light, but it looks like hell inferno, with it's opaque and solid red glowing appearance. Head is creamy and fluffy makes about two fingers tall, with soapy retention, and good clumping puck. Magnificent looker.

Once again a solid nose. Hints of cream and dark fruit that resonates between fig and dark cherry. A real nice bakery brown bread that lingers with hints of caraway seed and light toasty grains. Boy I am digging this, it really sneaks up on you. Loving where this is going.

Oh my palate really delivers nicely. Subtle cherry warmth, and a very dry crisp finish. The bouquet seems to hint at a big thick powerful body, but it's light, effervescent, crisp, but with a playful aromatic and soft and airy palate feel. Hints of flavorful vanilla cream, soft cherry fruit, mild raisin, and a bit of crackling toasted grain. The sweetness on this beer is just perfect, not heavily sucrosed.

I am usually not a fan of this style and I think this is the best one that I have ever had, and that to me says all I need to know.

4.62/5  rDev +15.5%

The beer poured a dark brown color, and had a moderately sized off-white head. When held up to the light, I noticed a slight reddish tinge around the edges. Throughout the glass it had good retention and decent lacing as well.

The aroma contained a number of scents, starting with a nice combination of roast malt, coffee, cherries, and chocolate. Underneath there's hints of caramel, alcohol, biscuit, and apple.

At first the beer tasted strongly of coffee and dark chocolate. It had a sweetness to it, as well as a round bitterness at the back of the mouth. However, I also detected a fruity flavor underneath that I thought was cherry. There was a strong hop flavor on the sides of the tongue. I didn't notice much alcohol in it, but it did have a warming quality. The beer developed even more as I continued drinking, yielding flavors of roast, dark breads like pumpernickel, cider, and a wooden/earthy flavor that I quite enjoyed.

I tried this beer in two different glasses, first was my Duvel glass, which I felt would be appropriate. However, after reading an article on glassware, I disagreed with Beer Advocate on the recommendation for drinking it out of a goblet style glass, so I tried it with my Pauwel Kwak stirrup. In the Duvel glass the beer felt very highly carbonated, and was light - almost airy in the mouth. It was thinner in feel than I expected. I also noted that it was a little dry. I had read (can't remember where) that for beers with higher carbonation, a narrower glass is more appropriate. After trying it in the Kwak glass, I have to agree that this beer at least was better with a narrower glass. The main difference I noticed was that the beer didn't feel quite as light in the mouth. It was still light, but it had a more tangible quality to it that helped me appreciate the flavors more. I also noticed that the roast flavor came out more, and the chocolate flavor got stronger towards the end. Visually, it also left incredible lacing on the narrower glass.

All in all, the beer was highly enjoyable. The flavors are so complex and interesting that I felt it was really designed to sit down and enjoy sip by sip. Savor this one, take it slow, and it will be a wonderful experience.

4.62/5  rDev +15.5%

This beer is best when available from the tap but it is still great in the bottle. This is such a great beer and very consistent. It was a staple at my favorite European style bar here in the states. It has fruity notes and no bitterness. It is amber to slightly dark with a little head. Very refreshing.

4.61/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Gorgeous veiled copper color. Extra foamy head with residues. Good lacing.

Pleasant sweet aromas of fruits and nutty caramel. Perfectly spiced and floral hints.

Sweet flavor of bread and fruits. Caramel like feeling with gentle spices. Very slight alcohol aftertaste.

A warming slick body with ample prickly carbonation. Very delicate and balanced finish for a strong beer.

Very fresh, well crafted, full flavored. Overall a true joy to drink!

4.6/5  rDev +15%

A: Dark ruby/brown with a 2 finger foamy tan head that settles slowly and leaves very nice lacing.

S: The aroma jumps out of the glass. There is earthiness, prune, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, and some red fruit notes as well.

T: Brown sugar and toffee flavors mingling with tart red fruits up font then some bitter chocolate/coffee and prunes in the finish.

M: Medium to full body, that is almost creamy and has a nice roasty caramel flavor linger on the finish.

D; This is easily becoming a favorite beer of mine. It is a nice nightcap or substitute or go along with for dessert.

Maredsous 8 - Brune from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV