Maredsous 8 - Brune - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Maredsous 8 - BruneMaredsous 8 - Brune

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: zerk on 01-07-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maredsous 8 - Brune Alström Bros

Farren, Aug 21, 2014

CowboyRob, Aug 09, 2012

mrshoes, Sep 20, 2013

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013

JakeSmith, May 10, 2014

lsoule, Nov 28, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

From bottle dated 01 2013 at Rattle n Hum. Definite brune aroma, but not very potent. Poured to a respectable head & left a resonable lacing in the upper reaches of the glass. Texture was a bit thin but the flavor was not.

Although a tad sweet, the first impression is of umami. It has the complex aroma of prunes & (I hate to say it, but...) leather that endS up with a taste much more grounded& earthy. It taste much mor uncuous than it feels. A wonder of aroma, flavor & texture

seedyone, Sep 12, 2014

Dapperticus, Sep 20, 2012

calcutron, Jun 20, 2014

BowmanR, Aug 06, 2014

Stephenshannonsmith, May 31, 2014

Mosdeb, May 24, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

The crystal mug turned a nice rich mahagony with a little cloudy mistyness in color. The head is off white, beige and lacing is beautiful.
The smell hints many flavors which are hard to pinpoint.
But the taste is phenomenal. Your mouth will be filled with a surprising freshness of banana ,chocolate, coffee, and other fruits. A great balance of bittersweet hops at the end, which invigorates for more. great prickly mouthfeel asks for more beer. Very drinkable.One great beer!

Hopfenpeter, Oct 15, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

onetwothreefourfivesixseveneightnineteneleventwelvethirteenfourteenfifteensixteenseventeeneighteennineteentwentywhydoIhavetowriteareviewofatleast250charactersIfeellikeIaminschooltwentyonetwentytwotwentythreetwentyfourtwentyfivetwentysixtwentyseventwentyeighttwentyninethirty

Jordiehowe, Mar 10, 2014
4.69/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Uma grande dubbel. Ela é da escola mais avermelhada do estilo, e possui uma interessante peculiaridade. Ela me pareceu seca, assim como vinho. Esse foi uma aspecto agradável. É um cerveja equilibrada e bem gostosa. Mais uma ótima cerveja da Maredsous.

LVituri, Jan 16, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

I foundthis stubby bottle in the back of a shelf in the local liquor I frequent to buy singles. I had tried the Maredsous 10 a few months ago and enjoyed it, but figured there's a lot better tripels out there worth my money. So I took a small chance on this one (fairly cheap too - $2.50). I came back home and saw the best before date was 05 2007 ... doh... and the glass had an 04 etching. Dubbel (sorry..) doh! Will this stand the test of time being exposed to constant light 12 hrs a day in room temperature?

A resounding YES!

The pour was magnificent. Dark brown with a foamy head that stood there for a good five minutes. Just a little Belgian lace appearing while I tilted the glass to my lips. I always get a kick out of seeing the constant streaming of bubbles from the bottom of my glass.

The aroma hit me right away. Raisins and chocolate that's been left in the sun for too long. Raisinettes? Yep ..and just a sniff of old dusty wood too.

First taste was of chocolate mousse, whipped cream, prunes, and figs. The more I think about it... cherries. I couldn't really find much hops. They are there just to barely stop the sweetness. The aftertaste was Brazilian nuts and ripe banana. Towards the end this wandered into stout territory, hints of molasses and licorice. I want more..

If there is a flaw, maybe that it's just a bit too watery. That might be what they were aiming since this is the second Dubbel I've had. Also I didn't get much carbonation after a few swigs. I took all night drinking this one savoring all the different flavors.

diamondc, Dec 23, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

Rich brown/mahogany hue with some ruby highlights and a cream colored head that sticks around till you reach the bottom of the glass. Earthy smell with clove, banana, caramel, dark dried fruit, and a hint of chocolate. Taste is excellent. Caramel and roasty bitter chocolate up front followed by a slightly spiced combination of cherry, fig, and prune. The banana is very faint but always there. Velvety smooth feel despite a pretty fair amount of carbonation. Seemed less sweet than other dubbels I've had, which was a big plus. Really happy to have come across this one...excellent

alkemy, Oct 10, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

Looks like highly brown color at a glance, but turned to a much lighter shade on the edges. Its thin head sat and never went away no matter how long I left it alone while conversing - this is rare for a dubbel. Also had very good lacing and a bit of staining. Damn good looking.

Smelled of licorice, dark chocolate, and roasted nuts that were more earthy than sweet. Some typical pruny, "dark fruit" scents as well. Taste was first of dark sweet malt, at times seeming prune-ish, but more often a solid, grainy maltiness. Also tasted bitter chocolate and hops with a roasted edge. Refreshing in a dark/roasted way, kinda how a schwarzbier does, this beer had little touches of smoke and sour too. I'd describe it asbelgian sophistication with english stout body and character.

A thicker than normal mouthfeel for a dubbel, too, something I really like. This beer won me over a long time ago in bottle form, great to see that its excellent on tap and available. Have it at cellar temperature. Best dubbel I’ve ever had, pure opinion - many won’t agree. (Opinion may change once my trappists are done cellaring for two years)

nomad, Aug 24, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

This beer is best when available from the tap but it is still great in the bottle. This is such a great beer and very consistent. It was a staple at my favorite European style bar here in the states. It has fruity notes and no bitterness. It is amber to slightly dark with a little head. Very refreshing.

Scotsman, Apr 11, 2012
4.64/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Taking one hit for the team as I am not always the biggest dubbel fan, but the last St. Bernadus was quite tasty, how is this gonna be? Best before April 2016, alright!

Might be one of the best looking dubbels I've seen, hard to say. A gorgeous deep red and dark ruby brown body, with a roaring column of fire in the middle. You have to hold it up to a bright direct light, but it looks like hell inferno, with it's opaque and solid red glowing appearance. Head is creamy and fluffy makes about two fingers tall, with soapy retention, and good clumping puck. Magnificent looker.

Once again a solid nose. Hints of cream and dark fruit that resonates between fig and dark cherry. A real nice bakery brown bread that lingers with hints of caraway seed and light toasty grains. Boy I am digging this, it really sneaks up on you. Loving where this is going.

Oh my palate really delivers nicely. Subtle cherry warmth, and a very dry crisp finish. The bouquet seems to hint at a big thick powerful body, but it's light, effervescent, crisp, but with a playful aromatic and soft and airy palate feel. Hints of flavorful vanilla cream, soft cherry fruit, mild raisin, and a bit of crackling toasted grain. The sweetness on this beer is just perfect, not heavily sucrosed.

I am usually not a fan of this style and I think this is the best one that I have ever had, and that to me says all I need to know.

smakawhat, May 06, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured into my chimay chalice.Pours a brownish ruby color with a light brown thick fluffy heading. Leaves some lacing until the last sip.

Smell is heavily toasted with an aroma of raisin. Some other darker fruits come into play and sums thing's up.

Taste is a bit different then anticipated from the aroma. Heavy toasted and caramel malts hit you a mile a minute. A touch chocolate that finishes fruity and dry. Slight pepperiness on the tongue as well.

Mouth is rich and medium to full bodied.Fantastic carbonation that bubbles up immediately in the mouth.

Drink is good. I was blown away by this beverage and I think one of the very best Dubbel's I've had yet.

TheFightfan1, Jan 23, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

The beer poured a dark brown color, and had a moderately sized off-white head. When held up to the light, I noticed a slight reddish tinge around the edges. Throughout the glass it had good retention and decent lacing as well.

The aroma contained a number of scents, starting with a nice combination of roast malt, coffee, cherries, and chocolate. Underneath there's hints of caramel, alcohol, biscuit, and apple.

At first the beer tasted strongly of coffee and dark chocolate. It had a sweetness to it, as well as a round bitterness at the back of the mouth. However, I also detected a fruity flavor underneath that I thought was cherry. There was a strong hop flavor on the sides of the tongue. I didn't notice much alcohol in it, but it did have a warming quality. The beer developed even more as I continued drinking, yielding flavors of roast, dark breads like pumpernickel, cider, and a wooden/earthy flavor that I quite enjoyed.

I tried this beer in two different glasses, first was my Duvel glass, which I felt would be appropriate. However, after reading an article on glassware, I disagreed with Beer Advocate on the recommendation for drinking it out of a goblet style glass, so I tried it with my Pauwel Kwak stirrup. In the Duvel glass the beer felt very highly carbonated, and was light - almost airy in the mouth. It was thinner in feel than I expected. I also noted that it was a little dry. I had read (can't remember where) that for beers with higher carbonation, a narrower glass is more appropriate. After trying it in the Kwak glass, I have to agree that this beer at least was better with a narrower glass. The main difference I noticed was that the beer didn't feel quite as light in the mouth. It was still light, but it had a more tangible quality to it that helped me appreciate the flavors more. I also noticed that the roast flavor came out more, and the chocolate flavor got stronger towards the end. Visually, it also left incredible lacing on the narrower glass.

All in all, the beer was highly enjoyable. The flavors are so complex and interesting that I felt it was really designed to sit down and enjoy sip by sip. Savor this one, take it slow, and it will be a wonderful experience.

stageseven, Feb 07, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Note: our bottle did not look like the photo--we bought it in Belgium, so the label may be different. At the bottom, the label reads, "Brune--8--Bruin"
Appearance: Lovely garnet color against the light, rich cream-colored head that lasts forever and leaves nice lacing on the glass.
Smell: Not very complex. Husband says: it smells exactly like Haribo Cola Gummi candy, and that's all I can think of when I smell it. Wife says: That's true. But I pick up warm malt and toffee notes.
Taste: Lots going on here. Warm toffee, malt and spice, but overall the character here is dark, rich bread--even rye bread. Then the finishing hops kick in, and the finish is astringent without being overpowering. Warmth is the last note, probably from the alcohol.
Mouthfeel: chewy, creamy, rich, but not oily.
Overall: Wife says: This is the perfect Christmas beer. Husband says: I agree--or perfect winter beer. A wonderful beer overall.

beerthirtysa, Jan 21, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

Serving type: 330 ml bottle. The “Best before” date on the back is “09 2012.”

Appearance: Poured into a tulip. The color looks black, but I think it is a very deep brown. Three fingers of slightly tinted, thick head dissipated slowly to leave a billowy cap in the middle, a ring of foam around the edge, and trails along the glass; it eventually settled to a thin lacing.

Smell: Scents of yeast, caramel, toffee, fig, plum, apple, red grapes, brown sugar, spice (I am not sure what, though), and maybe a little molasses. There is a hint of booze — the aroma features the alcohol sharpness — but it is not distracting. A number of other reviewers say it smells like wine, and I agree. (It is thankfully not, though.)

Taste: Not as fruity or sweet as the smell; instead, it has a surprising roasted quality. Lots of roasted caramel, toffee, brown sugar, and molasses. The yeast is omnipresent and the mouthfeel is bready. An earthy hop bite lingers on the cheeks and tongue after each sip, and pepper spice emerges. The dark fruits, especially a red grape skin flavor, begin to sneak in as the beer continues to warm, but they are not as prominent as they are in the smell.

Drinkability: This beer is a very pleasant surprise. I like this stuff a lot. Complex, well-crafted, and very tasty — I expect nothing else from someone who has made a vow of celibacy.

TheQuietMan22, Jan 11, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a dark reddish brown hazy color from a 11.2 oz bottle, with ABV and best-by date on the label.
Massive two finger head in my DT snifter, which dissipates very slowly.
Aroma is a very nice blend of dark fruits (cherry, raisins, dates), fruity esters and hints of alcohol. Pleasant aroma to say the least.
Taste is also very fruity, similar to the aroma with a perfect tart finish.
Leaves a wall of lace all along the insides of the glass.
Surprisingly easy to drink considering the high ABV and even with the warmth the alcohol generates
This is undoubtedly one of the best dubbel's.
An absolute must-try for anyone who enjoys dubbels and ales of this kind. Very highly recommended.

CaptDavyJones, Jul 26, 2011