Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Maredsous 8 - Brune - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Maredsous 8 - BruneMaredsous 8 - Brune

Avg: 4
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 01-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maredsous 8 - Brune Alström Bros
Reviews: 641 | Hads: 1,319
2.25/5  rDev -43.8%

Honestly, pretty disappointed. The booze is obvious and up front. Not even close in terms of interesting flavor as a Chimay or Rochefort 6 or 8. There are many better true Belgians to be had also like St. fuellien and Monette. Unibroue's darks and Delirium Nocturnum also much more subtle and flavorful.

2.46/5  rDev -38.5%

There was a time around Dallas when Maredsous enjoyed a strange cachet as a quasi-ubiquitous "quality" beer at lots of bars where you wouldn’t expect much to be available on draft. The hype has since died down. I suspect that it was so readily available a few years ago due to the fact that the extra-long tap handle had a very scary monk on it, and the bartenders around town were all cautioned that no patron was allowed to have more than 2 Maredsous's in one sitting. Talk about an image!

My little 33 cl bottle poured a very attractive reddish brown color (decanted off the yeast) with a slightly smaller than expected beige head. The standard Belgian-style dubbel aromatics were evident (fermented dark candi sugar, vinous alcohol, dates, raisins, etc...) and the body was a just a bit thinnish, though bolstered by the hefeweizen-like carbonation. The flavor was also exactly as I'd expected (exactly like the nose--dark fruits and alcohol, like every other Dubbel in the world) but with an odd, phenolic smokiness that tasted a bit like burning a plastic tupperware lid in the dishwasher smells--rauchware... Following the initial smokiness, a green apple character emerged, giving the beer a long, sour finish. However, creeping back into the sour tail was the smokiness again.

To give this beer the benefit of the doubt, I'll rate it as a combo of tonight's bottle and my memories of it from years' past. I can't recall the smoked phenols from the past, the green apple flavors and the slightly thin, sour finish brought me back to a time when I remembered that I didn't like Maredsous very much... The epitome of a totally unexciting Belgian Dubbel…

2.49/5  rDev -37.8%

A- An inch thick bubbley tan head on a pretty clear dark ruby body.
S- Strong esters throughout, cherries, plums, light raisins, hints of spice, chocolate, and tofffe.
T- Taste pretty much follows the aroma. The main flavors in it are the malts. The alcohol really sticks on the tongue along with a light bitterness.
M- Medium body with medium carbonation.
D- I think this isn't to good at all. There are a ton of dubbels out there that blow this one out of the water.

2.67/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a .75 L bottle to a wine glass. "Best before 02/2009" on bottle.

A - cloudy dark brownish. good creamy head with good retention.

S - strong sweet molasses. alot of olive oil smell at first. as it warmed faint anise aroma.

t - medicinal flavor, not what was expected for a dubbel. stronger sense of the alchol.

m - thick feel. coated the palate.

d - ho-hum. went well with garlic bread, not so much with steak.

2.67/5  rDev -33.3%

On-tap at BJ's in Cupertino. Served in a snifter.

A: Pours a deep mahogany leaning toward purple, with a finger of off-white head that dissipates quickly into a film on the glass and a collar around the brew. Some decent lacing while sipping.

S: Dark fruits, particular raisins, with some milder fig character and possibly plums and cherries. Has a light candy nose to it, with some brown sugar and clove notes. Not very pungent though, and it took a lot of agitation and sniffing to pick it out.

T: Not as complex as the nose led me to believe. Mostly the dark fruits dominate, especially a raisin / grape flavor that makes it taste much like a wine. Belgian candy yeast plays a secondary role, with some brown sugar sweetness and clove spice rounding out the mid-taste. The finish is mostly candy with a slight alcohol astringency.

M: Light-to-medium bodied, with medium carbonation. Doesn't really suit the style well.

D: It was easy to put this down, but I didn't get much out of it. Won't really seek this out in the future, at least on tap. I may consider a bottle, but there's nothing in this experience that makes me feel compelled to do so.

2.72/5  rDev -32%

Stubby bottle

App: dark medium brown with thick glorious tan head

Smell: a thick mix of chocolate, dark sugar, and a touch of fruit, like fig. Sweet smell of alcohol around The edges

Taste: subdued sweetness throughout. Strong coffee and toasted grain in the middle. ends with a massive dose of herbal hops.

Medium body and tight carbonation that adds dryness.

Am awesome nose, but the taste is too dry and bitter to be a good dubbel.

2.8/5  rDev -30%

2009 rate.

I assume this is the "dubbel" as it was designated on tap. Thin, sweet aroma. Flavor was overly sweet with an unpleasant bitter hop finish. Grain and sugar throughout. Really stretched myself to drink most of the glass. Never again.

2.83/5  rDev -29.3%

Reviewed on 05/25/2009. Bottle. Pours a somewhat translucent brown with thick light tan head. Aroma of sweet malt, raisins. Flavor of more of the same booze, raisins, sweet malt. Ick. This was very bland and too sweet. Yep, this was a disappointment.

2.84/5  rDev -29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Begins with a violent uncorking. POW!! Watch out. The brew is soft bodied and overly carbonated, creating a huge mass of lumpy tan foam that dominates the goblet. Fortunately, the bulk of it recedes without undue delay, leaving a bizarrely shaped head. As you pour more beer upon it, it takes on the most unusual shapes and contours. Somebody call my phrenologist.

The body is fat and heavy, a warm, glowing mahogany, and clear. A faint cherry aroma remains mostly concealed by the head. I can’t say as I really cared for this beer, as I’m not a big fan of candi sugars. I’ll allow that it might age well – the label said I had two more years to enjoy it – but the taste conveys a harsh peppery bite that just doesn’t work for me.

2.88/5  rDev -28%

Dark copper/red with an inch of brown foam - mixed bubbles. Nose is sweet caramel malt, hints of grape and ripe fruit, ever so light toast. Winey-grape flavour up front with a big medicinal kick - too much I think. Lots of bitterness, and sharp carbonation. On the sweet side - which is a welcome balance to the other flavours. Body feels light given the intensity of the flavour profile. I don't love this one.

2.97/5  rDev -25.8%

Best before 12/2005 but maybe this ripened a bit too early?
From a 750mL bottle poured into a chalice.
Looks kinda boring for a dubbel and doesn't smell much more exciting; ripe to sour alcohol soaked fruit smells.
The taste also has quite a bit of sour going on. It mellows out after a bit, and smooths out after awhile in the mouthfeel, but the start of the sip is like unsweetened cranberry juice. I enjoy sour and tart but this is over doing it.
I'd like to give this another go because it may have been past its prime, and I really enjoyed the Maredsous tripel, but for the moment I'd say there are plenty of other options in dubbels out there.

2.98/5  rDev -25.5%

750 ml corked and caged bottle. Pours into a goblet a dark chestnut body that is ruby hued when held to light. Creamy tan head rises to two centimeters and retains very well. Elegant sheet lacing all over the goblet completes the beautiful appearance.
Aroma is malty milk chocolate and toffee, plum wine, a hint of pineapple, and some musty and dank yeast.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with restrained carbonation and some alcohol burn.
Taste is a quick downhill plummet. Fusel alcohol is heavyhanded all the way through. Prune juice and plum wine notes are the good news. Twangy yeast presents some chicken coop character that becomes dank and acrid. By the middle, phenolic notes take over, and metallic and plastic airplane glue notes take over. Not very pleasant. I could not finish this one. Acrid yeastiness, and fusel and phenolic to the extreme. Don't know what went wrong with this one, which began with such high promise.

2.98/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

-pours a hazy ruby-brown with a medium,frothy,beige head
-medium carbonation visible
-caramel,toffee,plums,raisins,dates,spice,banana,some roast
-medium-high carbonation,light-medium body
-slight alcohol warmth
I missed complexity and Body in this one.Slightly above average

Maredsous 8 pours out a fluffy tan head over
a dense, cloudy amber brew. The head collapses
into sticky lace. The nose is of malt and raisin with
sharp hints of scotch. The flavor is basically malt, but
with a scotch booziness in the background. The mouthfeel
is a little thin with a bit of tingle due to the 8% alcohol by
volume. The aftertaste is slightly of malt with a touch of hop.
It's not bad, but I find it a bit thin. There's plenty better Belgians
out there. But by all means get some if it's on sale...

I am not a huge fan of Trappist beers. I get the whole “made by monks” thing, but they all have a similar flavor and never do much to impress me. But this bottle reminds me of something… I don’t know what, but it’s familiar. Regardless, there are three beers in this series, the 6, 8, and 10. Two of them are on our list. Tonight we drink the 8. I have no idea what to expect, but… the same. I hope I’m wrong. Prove me wrong monks!

In the Glass: This beer looks pretty in the glass. It’s got a distance head, and a nice ruby red, amber sort of body. It poured out of the bottle REALLY thick, yet doesn’t appear thick in the glass. The head sticks around for a while too, making me think this beer has a strong nose and some intense flavors. (It’s a trend I see in beers that smell and taste great.)

Nose: The nose is immediately sweet, then quickly turns into a copper overtone. The longer you smell, the more you think about the change in your pocket. After a few deep sniffs, you can almost taste the metal notes in the back of your throat. I sure hope this beer doesn’t taste like that!

Flavor: The beer starts weak, and has very little flavor to start. Then, as the beer circles round your palate, you start picking up the coffee notes… you start picking up the raisins that they talked about above, and then you settle in with a nice dry finish. The dry is something you long for though, even after the beer is gone.

Mouthfeel: There is a TON of carbonation in this beer. I mean, a ton. At first anyway. When you first take a drink, the front of the tongue is overwhelmed with dancing bubbles and you just want the drink to be gone. But as the drink settles, it stays on the tongue for a while leaving a blanket of flavor for your mouth to enjoy.

Aftertaste: I like the aftertaste, but it doesn’t last long. It is there, somewhat sweet, and then is gone before you know it. What does stick around is the dryness that you get in the nose. The dryness in the nose is that copper note that I was talking about. You never get the copper flavor though, which is nice. Like I said before, not a huge fan of beers made by monks… but I would order this one again. It’s solid.

3.02/5  rDev -24.5%

Appearance is murky brown with an off-white head that settles into a thin head for the duration. Aroma has moderate esters of black cherry and other dark fruits as well as some malt, a hint of flowery European hops, and that familiar spiciness of Belgian yeast. Taste has some moderate bitterness up-front with loads of dark fruity esters. Can't decide if that bitterness is due to the hops or some weird dark malt or what. Regardless, it's overly bitter and not very smooth for a Dubbel. I'm a bit disappointed but maybe it was the dregs of the keg or something.

3.03/5  rDev -24.3%

Short stubby brown bottle. Best before Jan 2007.

Murky dark chestnut, with a thin tan head.

Aroma is raisin, chocolate and yeast.

Flavor is a little sweet caramel, a little dry yeastiness, and a slight bitter finish.

Average. I’ll give it some leeway because it was past it’s BB date, but I’ve had other Belgian beers past their date that were much better.

3.03/5  rDev -24.3%

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : bière brune de fermentation haute, robe brun rougeâtre, mousse brunâtre onctueuse qui s'éffrondre rapidement
Smell : forte note de café, caramel
Taste and mouthfeel : mince en bouche, fond l'alcool
Drinkability : une biére correcte dans le style Abbaye brune

3.03/5  rDev -24.3%

Dark chestnut color, filmy head, looks pretty good. The smell is a nice malty raisin type piece and screams dubbel. Unfortunately the taste is heavily dominated by alcohol and the mouthfeel is astringent making this hard to drink. Actually I am disappointed in this beer, the alcohol was just not well integrated.

3.04/5  rDev -24%

33cl Bottle: BBD Mar 16, poured slowly into a Westmalle chalice on 16th Nov 13.

The full beige head hung around but shrank to a thin covering fairly swiftly: the mahogany red/brown body was clean and clear (I didn't allow any sediment to leave the bottle).

The nose was all malt, semi-sweet molasses with fruity undertones and a yeasty feel.

The taste was dark fruits, yeasty and again fairly sweet, the malts giving very little away to the hop content. I like the sweeter, maltier brews, but this didn't sit right for me (I had a few beers before this actually).

Thin for the alcohol level and slightly lacking in depth of flavour, I think this might help to give me a hang-over in the morning: water next!

3.07/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured this 11.2 oz brown bottle into a Chimay goblet. Dated best by: 2/09. "dark brown" color with two fingers of off-white head. The puffy lingering head remained throughout the drink.

Smell was fruity and slightly yeasty. Rather mild aroma, difficult to discern.

Taste was lively, fruity. Tart and sweet, prune-like. Metallic, iron-like flavor. Salty, full of minerals.

Mouthfeel was quite zesty. Effervescent and moderately rich. Easier to drink than I had anticipated.

3.08/5  rDev -23%

Pours a dark copper with a small light head that dissipates quickly, leaving some lacing.

Smells lightly of dark fruits and dark sugar, not vry much else to notice it seems to me, a very faint nose.

Tastes of some (flowery?) fruits, plums, figs, raisins, some sweet dark malts and al throughout an unfitting sour, lightly astringent bitterness that doesn't fit in at all according to my palate. Un-balanced overall, but not undrinkable in any way.

Carbonation is stingy at a little hard, low-to mid bodied.

3.09/5  rDev -22.8%

Stubby “Duvel” bottle with best by date (12/2005: sampled 12/2003)
Aroma: Brown sugar with yeasty fruits. Some banana notes and spices round off a stylistic smell.
Appearance: Dark cloudy brown that showed some light at the edges. Whipped frothy brown head of a good finger and a half is starting to dry in the center. Looks like it will outlive me.
Flavor: The smell mirrors the taste, with the addition of even more molasses and long roasted malt. Spices top the taste, mild pepper and clove. A dry bitter aftertaste last longer than it should.
Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy body. That dry aftertaste actually feels astringent. Makes my mouth feel like sandpaper after a taste.
Overall Impression: While the dry finish almost DEMANDS another drink to ease my parched tongue, the taste has me thinking water might be needed. This beer seems to be of a high quality, but it is rubbing me the wrong ways. Think I’ll stick to Chimay Red or La Trappe. Worth a try/review, but don’t think I’ll be hording this one.
After reading other reviews, and letting the beer warm a bit, I’m starting to appreciate it more, but I’m thinking I’m robbing the cradle a bit with this sample. Maybe I will buy a couple stubbys and let them take up some cellar space for a year or two.

3.11/5  rDev -22.3%

This beer comes in an impressive 75 cl bottle with cork and wire cage.

The colour is brown with a shade of red; the liquid is cloudy. The gigantic beige foam slowly descends into a small, almost hard ball of foam.

The smell is mild with somewhat acid notes. There are also some sour-sweet flavours of hops. There is a typical air of Belgian ale over the smell, and some alcohol in the background. Complex? Yes.

The carbonation is quite strong, but not excessive. The small bubbles almost resembles of sparkling wine.

The dominant taste is sweet-burned, with a lot of fruity notes. I could find some nuts and almonds, some dough (yeast) and a touch of chemicals and spices (caraway? coriander?) and blue cheese.

The aftertaste is full of bitterness, and a surprisingly dry one too. I could perceive some tomes of fresh cucumber and metal.

The taste is very complex, and there were lots of flavours that tried to draw my attention. They worked fine together, but I found it just too much, it was more like drinking aged red wine than beer. Maredsous 8 is unquestionable a fine craft beer, but it is simply not one for me.

3.12/5  rDev -22%

33 cl. bottle with a 12-2005 drink by date. Pours a cloudy garnet hue with a thin but persistent head. Leaves an incredible lacing on the glass. Smell is a funky orange chocolate. The taste is an acrid, bittersweet caramel, metallic alcohol flavor. Finishes dry with an alcohol kick.
This brew had a taste of the bottle cap which ruined it for me, too bad.

Maredsous 8 - Brune from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV