Maredsous 8 - Brune - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Maredsous 8 - BruneMaredsous 8 - Brune

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 01-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maredsous 8 - Brune Alström Bros
4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

The Maredsous had a big bubble foam head with a good two fingers and some all encompassing lacing. Nice.

The aroma was lovely. I smelled apples and some heated brown sugar. Made me want to eat an apple pie.

The taste was strongly fruity and malty with a good pear flavor.

The mouth feel was bitter on the finish, fairly thin and stayed with you for a while. This has to be one of the better Dubbels I have tried. It comes recommended for sure.

3.69/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz. stubby brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a Chalice. Best before 10/09.

A: Pours a deep brown with nice ruby hues when back lit. 1 1/2 fingers of beautiful light toffee head forms tight and remains that way for the entire slow descent. A nice fluffy skim remains at the end. Great blanketing and ringed lacing throughout.

S: First thing I notice is a champagne like smell... I'm guessing champagne yeast... though that doesn't seem right. Plenty of yeasty esters and a stinging, maybe sour(?) alcohol snap. The caramel and dark fruits that I like so much seem to be a bit hidden behind that aforementioned's.

T/M: Tastes like a Dubbel with light champagne yeast and sour notes. Not abbrassive but not exactly how I like it. The caramel is again light but much more defined than in the aroma. Getting a faint dark fruit taste but more it's more like a fleeting memory of dark fruits... if that makes sense. Alcohol mingles throughout, adding a slight old ale taste, but mostly just a light warming effect. Body is full and mouth is smooth and creamy.

D: A bit different but not terrible. Price was nice, too. I'll still probably stick with others but hey, ya never know when I'll feel a little squirrelly.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

This was the first beer I had when I turned 21, many thanks to Nic Zeisig who dragged me to the pub insisting on buying me a pint of it. Seriously dude, thanks. I opened up a bottle of it today to help me study for my metaphysics exam, hope it works.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter. The color is great, just what you'd espect from a dubbel. A nice big head with lots of lacing.

THe aroma is very sweet yet complex. All kinds of stuff coming through here.

Taste was awesome. Very sweet compared to other dubbels but no less amazing. Also somewhat spicy with a bit of hop coming through to try and balance things out but this beer had too much sweet going on in it for the hops to play a significant part.

Mouthfeel was excellent, wonderfully sweet with just enough bitter to make you swallow.

I could drink this stuff all day.

This was the beer that opened my eyes to the world of Belgian ales and will always hold a special place in my heart. A Maredsous hangover for me is not something to be ashamed of. Kudos to the drunken monks at Maredsous abbey, this one is a winner.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a bottle to a chalice. Had a dark brown color and a fairly thick consistency. Not as thick as other dubbels, but pretty thick. A decent, but not huge head and good lacing.

Very nice smell, though not overwhelming. Dark fruits, malt.

A solid taste. The aforementioned dark fruits, some Belgian yeast, malt made for a smooth taste.

A nice amount of carbonation and slightly syrupy finish. Deecent mouthfeel.

This is a drinkable beer of its style. Well-balanced and easy going down. Not my favorite of the style, but good nonetheless.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Sampled from a 750 ml bottle in a Chimay chalice.

A - Pours well. Deep brown color with a nice thick creamy head. It looks very appealing.

S - It has a sweet, malty aroma.

T - It has a strong flavor with hints of chocolate.

M - Very thick and substantial mouthfeel; almost syrupy.

D - I really enjoyed this but I couldn't see having too many in one sitting.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap at the Bonn Lair in Sac

A - Dark brown, nice off-brown head. Dissipates slowly out of the served chalice. Moderate legs, has a nice touch.

S - Sweetened plums, raisins, brown and burnt sugars.

T - Sweetened plums with brown sugar, and surprisingly, no alochol taste.

M - Excellent all the way around. Though the finish had the taste of a flemish style beer.

D - Definitely wanted more, disappointed I did not order this bad boy first. Much better out of the tap versus the bottle. Though with belgians, I usually give bottles the nod over the tap.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

a note to bartenders out there, OFFER to pour the beer before you actually do it, and if the customer says "i'll pour it myself" don't just look at him like he's a dick and say it's too late. when you act like you know too much, it bites you right on your ass. i'm a bartender too, so i know this first hand. and i've screwed up plenty of times.

the dude insisted on pouring this for me, i guess he thought he was doin me a favor, and the result was a next to nothing head and an overly fizzy beer. after seeing duvel's capabilities, i knew this would be a monster, and it was completely ruined for me by this smart ass. he did it 2 beers in a row, the second one was an ipa. after that i left. no one will treat my glorious ipa like that.

needless to say, i will do this the right way in the near future.

A- clear dark brown with amber highs, though the head was barely there, the 1/4 inch of creamy foam stuck around the whole time and left intricate fractal lace everywhere it went.
this WILL be revised!

S- well water, copper, dark fruit, raisin, cocoa, cherrywood, prune, black pepper, and some complex malt stuff that definitely deserves a second review.

T- grape soda, plum wine, alcohol, merlot, shiraz, damp wood, blueberry, mineral water, funky fruity yeast, clove, nutmeg, toasty english tasting malt and floral herbal hops into a nice fruity woodsy finish.

MF- it was just way too fizzy to taste what i knew was in there. that wasn't the bottle conditioning's fault either. juicy and active, this could have a whole different texture if executed properly.

D- good but damn it's strong!

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

750 ml cage-corked bottle:

Pours dark brown - almost black - with a thick, creamy, lasting light tan head that leaves plenty of lacing on the glass.

The smell is of caramel/toffee with spicy fruitiness and some dark fruitiness - a hint of chocolate and anise come through.

The taste is very complex. Herbal spices mix with caramel/toffee and chocolate notes. Anise pulls through as it progresses. Malt-accented with herbal and fruity background. Some orange liqueur, candy sweetness and a touch of alcohol in the finish. Almost complexity overload. But, all blends well.

Creamy, medium-bodied with a slightly understated carbonation. Somewhat medicinal aftertaste lingers.

A wonderfully complex and rich dubbel. A nice example of the style, and a pleasure to sip on.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a stubby bottle into a goblet.

A: Pours a translucent reddish-brown. Nearly white head that sticks around for the duration.

S: Smells fruity and caramelly.

T: Tastes like it smells- fruity (mainly banana and cherry) and caramel. Only the slightest but of alcohol in the taste.

M: Medium body, carbonation is good.

D: Hard to tell this is 8% abv. If not for that I could drnk it all night.

I'd been wanting to try this one for a while after a friend recommended it. Wasn't disappointed. Good dubbel.

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance: The pour is dark copper with a large tan foamy head that eventually rescinds to a large island covering most of the surface are.

Smell: The nose is extraordinarily phenolic. Other aromas present are sweet caramel, clove, bananas, cherries, blackberries, Belgian yeast, a bit of black pepper, and a tiny hint of Fabreeze from the alcohol.

Taste: As expected, the flavor profile is heavy on phenols, with plenty of molasses. It's not as fruity as it is in the aroma. In place of cherries and blackberries, are figs. There is also a little Hadley's date shake going on here. There's quite a bit of clove, Belgian yeast, black pepper, and a dash of bananas to round it all out.

Mouthfeel: This is medium-bodied and very dry with a sticky finish and lively carbonation.

Drinkability: The alcohol is really only apparent in the nose. I could taste it and I'm barely feeling it. This is a lovely dubbel with great character.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Had on draft at the Frisco Grille, Columbia, MD.

A- Pours a deep reddish brown, with a nice tan head.

S- Lots of spicy scents here, pepper, vanilla, and cinnamon.

T- Very malty, but the taste of ripe fruits are prevalent, the spiciness come through in the finish.

M- Fizzy, but not overly carbonated for the style. Medium body.

D- I enjoy dubbels from time to time and this is a good one, enjoy.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

I rarely get burned on Belgians so I tried another one. I knew this was from the Duvel brewer and I had also liked the Triple. This pours a dark but clear brown with a nice creamy colored head. Goes away and runs lace down the glass.

Nose is vanilla and caramel. Dark fruits like prunes and plums as well

The taste is quite nice with caramel, raisen or prune. A tad sour but in a good way. Nice carbonation and a medium wet finish. This is a truly premium beer and I will keep this on my list

Appearance - nice thick brown color with a thick tan head. I at first was hoping it would last as long as the Duvel, but, not even close.
Smell - a good nosefull of malts and sweetness of fruits
Taste - Good, but not great. I was expecting a little more from the impression so far.
Mouthfeel - nice mouthfeel, carbonation very evident, but not negative to the experience.
Drinkability - Seemed to linger a little longer than normal in my glass. Partly because I believed to have poured it a little too cold, and partly because I was craving a little something different...guessing what little more would make this one great, or wondering which beer I would have next to get that fulfillment.
Would get again and definitely recommend, nice dubbel, but it just didn't seem to catch my favor for a whopping review.
Will try again, could have been a bad palate day on those first 3 bottles.

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

From a short, fat 11.2 oz bottle with a red checkered-plated logo, this Belgian "8" pours a beautiful purplish-brown, dark chestnut color with a foamy, frothy head... appearance is great... smell is of figs, prunes, plums... Bottle logo claims this is "dark", a "Belgian Abbey Ale", and "Refermented in the bottle"... very good smell, although the taste was good, it wasn't above and beyond like I was hoping and expecting... dark plum and fruit flavors blend with a creamy mouthfeel... taste is more bland than I was hoping for the style, although it did go down well and was satisfying... interesting sample that I had previously never heard of... satisfactory enough to warrant a try, although the flavor did not completely blow me away...

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

330ml bottle reviewed on 9th Jan 2008, best by 10.2009. One of a box of 24 that I purchased (lucky me). Poured into Chimay chalice revealing a lovely tan (no haze) brew with a slightly cream coloured head that was generous (but not over-the-top) and remained until the last drop was drained from the glass.
The smell was complex, the most obvious one (to me) was bready malt. Other fruit smells in the background.
The taste was a delicious mix of alcohol, malt, fruit; so much going on. No hop taste apparent. This beer had a semi-sharp dry finish.
A perfect sipping beer; one to be savoured.

A deep, deep mahogany in color with a puffy, off-white head that turns into a dollop of foam in my glass with light lacing.

As expected, the smell is quite complex. Fruity notes, like cherries and dates, combine with earthy aromas and hints of solvent alcohol.

The taste is equally complex. The flavors of nuts and dates are balanced with earthy dryness and a small amount of tannins.

The body is creamy, with a nice sharpness in the swallow from the carbonation.

Overall this is a nice Dubbel, one of my favorite styles.

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review copied from previous notes.

Again, this is a style I'm still learning.

A - Dark in color and short head. Some ruby color. Leaves a slight lace.

S - Sweet and cherries and apple?

T - Sweet, but boozy. Somewhat dry after taste. Taste is more intense as it gets warmer.

M - Light to medium body. Some carbonation. Goes down easy. Not too filling.

D - Not filling, but not exciting enough to order another. A good beer, but not my usual style.

3.74/5  rDev -7.2%

750ml bottle that came with a nice Maredsous glass. Very deep, dark brown color. Thick, airy, persistent head. I honestly don't detect much of a nose at all, but the tongue detects nice complexity; some chocolate, molasses, slight cherry. Not too heavy or sweet. Really nicely balanced. A pleasure to drink.

3.83/5  rDev -5%

750ml corked and caged brown bottle with a drink before date of 11/09. Pours a slightly hazy medium brown with a 2 finger head, nice longeity and excellent lace. Aromas of brown sugar, Belgian candy, sherry, yeast and slight alcohol. Flavors of slight roasted malt with hints of chocolate, sherry and a subtle roasted bitterness in the finish, This beer is not as rich and full bodied as I expected but it is very tasty and makes it a much easier drinking brew.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

On draught at the Cheeky Monk Belgian Beer Café in Denver.

Proper two-stage pour into a proper chalice produced an excellent long-lasting off-white head over a hazy mahogany body with lots of residual carbonation. Pretty beer!

Smell is wonderful Belgian yeast over malt producing a clean and dominant caramel apple aroma: really, like a crisp Granny Smith apple coated with warm buttery caramel. Terrific aroma.

Taste is toffee, coffee, chocolate all underneath that dominant caramel-apple yeastiness. Nice malty finish. Mmmmm.

Mouthfeel is nice and round, and the ample soft carbonation really spreads the flavors around.

Drinkability is excellent. Maybe not sessionable, but you will not get bored with a couple.

Just a note: local Health Dep't reg's in Denver require all beer to be served at the same too-cold temperature, so I had to let this sit for a while before consuming. That's a bit disappointing, but certainly no fault of the beer itself. At the right temperature, this is a very good beer.

bouteille brune de 750ml avec bouchon de liège.

belle bière brune de belle couleur, collet très épais du à l'effervescence de la bière, trop peut-être ? nez marqué par les épices, très agréable. en bouche tout est en rondeur, par-contre si on brasse la bière dans la bouche l'effervescence marqué fait que la bière prend de l'expansion et sort par le nez (sic)

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

I foundthis stubby bottle in the back of a shelf in the local liquor I frequent to buy singles. I had tried the Maredsous 10 a few months ago and enjoyed it, but figured there's a lot better tripels out there worth my money. So I took a small chance on this one (fairly cheap too - $2.50). I came back home and saw the best before date was 05 2007 ... doh... and the glass had an 04 etching. Dubbel (sorry..) doh! Will this stand the test of time being exposed to constant light 12 hrs a day in room temperature?

A resounding YES!

The pour was magnificent. Dark brown with a foamy head that stood there for a good five minutes. Just a little Belgian lace appearing while I tilted the glass to my lips. I always get a kick out of seeing the constant streaming of bubbles from the bottom of my glass.

The aroma hit me right away. Raisins and chocolate that's been left in the sun for too long. Raisinettes? Yep ..and just a sniff of old dusty wood too.

First taste was of chocolate mousse, whipped cream, prunes, and figs. The more I think about it... cherries. I couldn't really find much hops. They are there just to barely stop the sweetness. The aftertaste was Brazilian nuts and ripe banana. Towards the end this wandered into stout territory, hints of molasses and licorice. I want more..

If there is a flaw, maybe that it's just a bit too watery. That might be what they were aiming since this is the second Dubbel I've had. Also I didn't get much carbonation after a few swigs. I took all night drinking this one savoring all the different flavors.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

On tap at the Acadia Cafe, served in a Dekonick chalice.

Looks like a standard dubbel with a murky brown body and a short head. The aroma is a of creamy, sweet malts and the taste opens up with relatively bold strawberry and blackberry flavors and caramel. I had this while my friend was drinking a a St. Bernardus Abt 12, and while it didn't have quiet the flavor and aftertaste, it still held up to it for the most part.

4.11/5  rDev +2%

Appearance:

Dark opaque brown with beautiful lingering foamy head that lasts and lasts. Very appealing. Lacing down the glass like nuts. You could probably float a nickle on the head, I haven't tried that yet. Haven't had the time to wash off a nickel to see if it'll work....

Smell: Not all that much here. Some usual Belgium yeasts and a drip of alcohol in the nose. Satisfactory though.

Taste: Astounding! Truly one to be enjoyed, several times over. Loads of flavors from hops, dark chocolate, nuts, raisens, malts like crazy. It's a great taster.

Mouth: Smooth and frothy, like swimming in ice cream. This is a good one. Each "pull" is truly enjoyable and encourages repeating.

Drinkability:
More than good. A fine representation of a Dubbel. And with the mild kick to go with it. Highly recommended. Have a few now and then. Sure to cheer up your day and.... improve your sleep!!.

I've enjoyed several of these short squat bottles over the past few months. It's a great bear, although a bit pricey. Worth every cent, though. A great taste of Belgium style beer. Watch out for the Alc content though, I'd stay put and not try to drive or operate a back hoe or circular saw after a few of these. You could lose something real valuable. Good, strong dark Belgium beer. Great for a cold snowy night when the fear of ole'man winter tries to scare 'ya. This one will keep your fire a ' burnin!

...WIlly

3.46/5  rDev -14.1%

Nice beer here. One of the most beautiful pours I think I've ever seen. Very rich brown with a nice fluffy head and some of the best lacing I've ever seen.

I expected the aroma to be a bit stronger and a little richer, but it's still not bad.

A nice, smooth, taste to this one. A little more carbonation than I like, but I do like the flavor. Almost tastes a little like red wine. I do detect the alcohol in this one, but it's not overpowering at all.

This was a nice beer that I will try again sometime.

Maredsous 8 - Brune from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV