Maredsous 8 - Brune - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Maredsous 8 - BruneMaredsous 8 - Brune

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 01-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maredsous 8 - Brune Alström Bros

Appearance - nice thick brown color with a thick tan head. I at first was hoping it would last as long as the Duvel, but, not even close.
Smell - a good nosefull of malts and sweetness of fruits
Taste - Good, but not great. I was expecting a little more from the impression so far.
Mouthfeel - nice mouthfeel, carbonation very evident, but not negative to the experience.
Drinkability - Seemed to linger a little longer than normal in my glass. Partly because I believed to have poured it a little too cold, and partly because I was craving a little something different...guessing what little more would make this one great, or wondering which beer I would have next to get that fulfillment.
Would get again and definitely recommend, nice dubbel, but it just didn't seem to catch my favor for a whopping review.
Will try again, could have been a bad palate day on those first 3 bottles.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

From a short, fat 11.2 oz bottle with a red checkered-plated logo, this Belgian "8" pours a beautiful purplish-brown, dark chestnut color with a foamy, frothy head... appearance is great... smell is of figs, prunes, plums... Bottle logo claims this is "dark", a "Belgian Abbey Ale", and "Refermented in the bottle"... very good smell, although the taste was good, it wasn't above and beyond like I was hoping and expecting... dark plum and fruit flavors blend with a creamy mouthfeel... taste is more bland than I was hoping for the style, although it did go down well and was satisfying... interesting sample that I had previously never heard of... satisfactory enough to warrant a try, although the flavor did not completely blow me away...

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

330ml bottle reviewed on 9th Jan 2008, best by 10.2009. One of a box of 24 that I purchased (lucky me). Poured into Chimay chalice revealing a lovely tan (no haze) brew with a slightly cream coloured head that was generous (but not over-the-top) and remained until the last drop was drained from the glass.
The smell was complex, the most obvious one (to me) was bready malt. Other fruit smells in the background.
The taste was a delicious mix of alcohol, malt, fruit; so much going on. No hop taste apparent. This beer had a semi-sharp dry finish.
A perfect sipping beer; one to be savoured.

A deep, deep mahogany in color with a puffy, off-white head that turns into a dollop of foam in my glass with light lacing.

As expected, the smell is quite complex. Fruity notes, like cherries and dates, combine with earthy aromas and hints of solvent alcohol.

The taste is equally complex. The flavors of nuts and dates are balanced with earthy dryness and a small amount of tannins.

The body is creamy, with a nice sharpness in the swallow from the carbonation.

Overall this is a nice Dubbel, one of my favorite styles.

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review copied from previous notes.

Again, this is a style I'm still learning.

A - Dark in color and short head. Some ruby color. Leaves a slight lace.

S - Sweet and cherries and apple?

T - Sweet, but boozy. Somewhat dry after taste. Taste is more intense as it gets warmer.

M - Light to medium body. Some carbonation. Goes down easy. Not too filling.

D - Not filling, but not exciting enough to order another. A good beer, but not my usual style.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

750ml bottle that came with a nice Maredsous glass. Very deep, dark brown color. Thick, airy, persistent head. I honestly don't detect much of a nose at all, but the tongue detects nice complexity; some chocolate, molasses, slight cherry. Not too heavy or sweet. Really nicely balanced. A pleasure to drink.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

750ml corked and caged brown bottle with a drink before date of 11/09. Pours a slightly hazy medium brown with a 2 finger head, nice longeity and excellent lace. Aromas of brown sugar, Belgian candy, sherry, yeast and slight alcohol. Flavors of slight roasted malt with hints of chocolate, sherry and a subtle roasted bitterness in the finish, This beer is not as rich and full bodied as I expected but it is very tasty and makes it a much easier drinking brew.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

On draught at the Cheeky Monk Belgian Beer Café in Denver.

Proper two-stage pour into a proper chalice produced an excellent long-lasting off-white head over a hazy mahogany body with lots of residual carbonation. Pretty beer!

Smell is wonderful Belgian yeast over malt producing a clean and dominant caramel apple aroma: really, like a crisp Granny Smith apple coated with warm buttery caramel. Terrific aroma.

Taste is toffee, coffee, chocolate all underneath that dominant caramel-apple yeastiness. Nice malty finish. Mmmmm.

Mouthfeel is nice and round, and the ample soft carbonation really spreads the flavors around.

Drinkability is excellent. Maybe not sessionable, but you will not get bored with a couple.

Just a note: local Health Dep't reg's in Denver require all beer to be served at the same too-cold temperature, so I had to let this sit for a while before consuming. That's a bit disappointing, but certainly no fault of the beer itself. At the right temperature, this is a very good beer.

bouteille brune de 750ml avec bouchon de liège.

belle bière brune de belle couleur, collet très épais du à l'effervescence de la bière, trop peut-être ? nez marqué par les épices, très agréable. en bouche tout est en rondeur, par-contre si on brasse la bière dans la bouche l'effervescence marqué fait que la bière prend de l'expansion et sort par le nez (sic)

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

I foundthis stubby bottle in the back of a shelf in the local liquor I frequent to buy singles. I had tried the Maredsous 10 a few months ago and enjoyed it, but figured there's a lot better tripels out there worth my money. So I took a small chance on this one (fairly cheap too - $2.50). I came back home and saw the best before date was 05 2007 ... doh... and the glass had an 04 etching. Dubbel (sorry..) doh! Will this stand the test of time being exposed to constant light 12 hrs a day in room temperature?

A resounding YES!

The pour was magnificent. Dark brown with a foamy head that stood there for a good five minutes. Just a little Belgian lace appearing while I tilted the glass to my lips. I always get a kick out of seeing the constant streaming of bubbles from the bottom of my glass.

The aroma hit me right away. Raisins and chocolate that's been left in the sun for too long. Raisinettes? Yep ..and just a sniff of old dusty wood too.

First taste was of chocolate mousse, whipped cream, prunes, and figs. The more I think about it... cherries. I couldn't really find much hops. They are there just to barely stop the sweetness. The aftertaste was Brazilian nuts and ripe banana. Towards the end this wandered into stout territory, hints of molasses and licorice. I want more..

If there is a flaw, maybe that it's just a bit too watery. That might be what they were aiming since this is the second Dubbel I've had. Also I didn't get much carbonation after a few swigs. I took all night drinking this one savoring all the different flavors.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

On tap at the Acadia Cafe, served in a Dekonick chalice.

Looks like a standard dubbel with a murky brown body and a short head. The aroma is a of creamy, sweet malts and the taste opens up with relatively bold strawberry and blackberry flavors and caramel. I had this while my friend was drinking a a St. Bernardus Abt 12, and while it didn't have quiet the flavor and aftertaste, it still held up to it for the most part.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance:

Dark opaque brown with beautiful lingering foamy head that lasts and lasts. Very appealing. Lacing down the glass like nuts. You could probably float a nickle on the head, I haven't tried that yet. Haven't had the time to wash off a nickel to see if it'll work....

Smell: Not all that much here. Some usual Belgium yeasts and a drip of alcohol in the nose. Satisfactory though.

Taste: Astounding! Truly one to be enjoyed, several times over. Loads of flavors from hops, dark chocolate, nuts, raisens, malts like crazy. It's a great taster.

Mouth: Smooth and frothy, like swimming in ice cream. This is a good one. Each "pull" is truly enjoyable and encourages repeating.

Drinkability:
More than good. A fine representation of a Dubbel. And with the mild kick to go with it. Highly recommended. Have a few now and then. Sure to cheer up your day and.... improve your sleep!!.

I've enjoyed several of these short squat bottles over the past few months. It's a great bear, although a bit pricey. Worth every cent, though. A great taste of Belgium style beer. Watch out for the Alc content though, I'd stay put and not try to drive or operate a back hoe or circular saw after a few of these. You could lose something real valuable. Good, strong dark Belgium beer. Great for a cold snowy night when the fear of ole'man winter tries to scare 'ya. This one will keep your fire a ' burnin!

...WIlly

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

Nice beer here. One of the most beautiful pours I think I've ever seen. Very rich brown with a nice fluffy head and some of the best lacing I've ever seen.

I expected the aroma to be a bit stronger and a little richer, but it's still not bad.

A nice, smooth, taste to this one. A little more carbonation than I like, but I do like the flavor. Almost tastes a little like red wine. I do detect the alcohol in this one, but it's not overpowering at all.

This was a nice beer that I will try again sometime.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured out of a 11.2 oz bottle. Very nice dark-burnt-reddish brown color.fruity nose, some dried figs, raisins, caramel, grain bread. Very foamy head that remains for quite some time. slightly bitter at first, long lingering finish. caramel, toffes, alcohol comes throgh in the aftertaste, but is not overwheming gives the beer a nice tart. mouthfeel Tastes so good that I want to just sip and savor.

3.03/5  rDev -24.8%

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : bière brune de fermentation haute, robe brun rougeâtre, mousse brunâtre onctueuse qui s'éffrondre rapidement
Smell : forte note de café, caramel
Taste and mouthfeel : mince en bouche, fond l'alcool
Drinkability : une biére correcte dans le style Abbaye brune

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

I'm no expert, but this sure seems like a quadrupel in a dubbel disguise. Or, in a weird way, a merlot in an ale's clothing. Not sessionable, so don't think about it. Then again, it takes a "special" kind of beer drinker to session these -- but I'm not that guy. I'd rather not be divorced.

Rich flavor, fruity, splendid lacing...this is the kind of beer that is pleasant to stare at in a goblet. And stare. And stare. Definitely worth a spin. Dieters should avoid--stick to your Coors Lite. I will buy again.

[750ml bottle poured in goblet.)

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

A- rich, dark ruby color with and outstanding off-white head, that leads to beautiful lacing.

S- sweet dark cherries come out in this one. Beautiful malt tones.

T- great bing cherry flavors, not hoppy obviously based on the style, but the malts in this are gorgeous.

M- so much flavor that it makes me chew and salivate.

D- oh god, I love this beer. buy it, drink it and enjoy it.

I have had this brew for a while now and for some reason I decided that tonight would be the night to give it a try. The brew poured to a nice dark brown color in my chalice with a nice sized dark colored tan head that had nice retention while leaving some nice lacing. The aromas seem to suggest a rich malt scent which seem to have a roasted quality. Also noticeable is a rich fruit like scent that reminds me a little of cherries while a slight chocolate and alcohol smell seems to be there as well. Over all this is a nice smelling brew. The flavors are good, a sweet smell dominates the flavors at first which seems to break a little to a cocoa/chocolate taste along with fruit flavors that seem to not go along with what I was experiencing in the nose, as I am not picking up cherries but more of a fig/date taste. Has a very carbonated feel to it which goes nice. As this brew warms i am noticing more of a alcohol flavor at the tail end which gives it a nice warming feel. Over all this is a pretty good brew one I would get in the future.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

33 cl. bottle poured into chalice.

Head voluminous and creamy. The CO2 bubbles barely visible. Dark brown color.

I am getting a lot of chocolate, coffee, and fig in the nose. Some

Starts full and smooth with a lot of chocolate and roasted malt flavors. Dark cherry, peppercorn, and vinous flavors in the middle. The finish is quite dry with fruit flavors dominating the palate.

The mouthfeel is so smooth and silky and drinkability is world class. This is one of the best abbey beers in my opinion and will always have a spot in my heart.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

draught poured into a chalice. pours a deep copper with a small off-white head. no lacings on the glass.

aroma is of sweet caramel malts, with a yeasty base. fruit ester notes include apricot, apple, grape and plum. the aroma is very well balanced, with a bold and complex character.

taste is of the same caramel and munich malts up front, with the same fruity base. fruit esters here include a more pronounced apple, with apricot and grape fading a bit from the aroma. still very well balanced without a hint of the 8% APV until the brew warms quite a bit.

mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. no alcohol or CO2 is present at time of serving, with some alcohol creating a slight bite as the brew warms. a very smooth finish make this one a finely crafted brew.

drinkability is very good. this is a sweet dubbel with great masking of the alcohol, while remaining only mildly sweet. this is a solid belgian brew that has a wonderfully diverse yeasty base. cheers!

3.33/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Rich ruby color with a big tan head that leaves a lot of lace.
S: Roasted malt is what jumps out at me. Maybe some chocolate and fruit (but not much else)
T: Very sweet malt with a little chocolate and coffee
D: Thick, can taste the alcohol. About average for a double

I thought this was an average Belgium Double. Not bad by any means, but not great. There is not a lot of balance, just malt. Overall, a good beer to try at a decent price.

A: Rich dark brown coloring with a crisp tan head
S: A chocolate aroma gives way to spice and sweet malt scents
T: Fruity sweetness balanced by a chocolate thickness gives way to a touch of hops toward the end
M: A slightly thick coating remains after each gulp
O: A pleasant beverage that hides the alcohol well, but the thickness gets old after a few.. suggesting progression to something a tad smoother

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

One of my regular stores has a good handful of these out on the shelf, where I got this one.

750 mL bottle, "Best Before: 03/2007" We'll see about that.

In a goblet it's a very dark brown, you'd think it black if you weren't in a lit room. Nice tightly beaded tan head.

Scents of dark chocolate, toffee, some alcohol, it's very inviting.

Dark fruits reach the pallet first; blackcurrants and liquorice. The chocolate and toffee are less obvious, but still there. There's a spicy bitterness and a warming alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel is lighter than the scent would lead you to believe, which seems to be a trend among the dubbels I've been trying lately.

Another? You bet. I would have to take my time though. I think this one will become a regular in my fridge. I'll also try aging one.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cellared for a few months. Freshness date, and serving temp on label.

Deep brown color, and steady tan head.

Aroma of sweet malt, anise, spice.

The taste is sweet upfront. With thick fruit flavor coming after. Spicy hops, combines with the ABV, to warm the palate.

A bit sticky in the throat, from all the sugary ingredients, but not too bad.

Very tasty, with obvious solid construction.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Never heard of this beer when I picked it up, but I was glad to see the positive reviews. I didn't pick up on it being the same brewer as Duvel.

This belgian dubbel pours from a smart loooking bottle featuring colored geometric shapes that give it a classic appearance. Best used date is 07/2009. The beer is a ruby brown with a large creamy tan head that is slow to disipate.

Smells reminiscent of a stout with subdued hops and more spice. Smells chocolatey and sweet with a hint of roasted malts. This smells unlike any dubbel I've had. The spice background reminds me that this comes from the brewer of Duvel.

Tastes reveal more of a typical dubbel flavor featuring hints of dark fruit, such as figs and dates. There are hints of chocolate and caramel, but are more subtle than in the nose. Small hint of finishing hops, but there is very little flavor provided by the hops. Its mainly spiced sweet fruits with a hidden warming effect from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy for a dubbel, but a bit thin. Highly drinkable as the alcohol is well hidden and the falvors are not overpowering, but light, yet complex and enjoyable.

Not a typical dubbel, but if every brewer aimed to create a standard things would get boring fast. A nice treat and worth a go.

Maredsous 8 - Brune from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV