Maredsous 10 - Triple - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Maredsous 10 - TripleMaredsous 10 - Triple

good

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Tripel |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maredsous 10 - Triple Alström Bros

AricGresko, Sep 02, 2014

dragonx2099, Feb 26, 2013

Xfse71, Oct 24, 2014
1.03/5  rDev -73.6%

StephenMiller, Oct 24, 2014

larryb77, Aug 17, 2014
2.1/5  rDev -46.2%

Aroma: The first scent off the beer is a quick lick of orange peel and dark candy sugar. There is a continual underlying smell of cardboard from some oxidization. It isn't very strong, but certainly noticeable and doesn't appear to 'blow off' in time. Other aromatics suggest caramel and light fruit.

Appearance: Pours a brilliantly clear caramel to amber color with a rich and creamy white head. The beer displays excellent head retention and a nice lacing along the glass. Strong and lively carbonation bubbles race to the top of this beer, sustaining the head nicely.

Flavor: First to hit the tongue is a vinous alcohol character that is quickly followed by a wet paper oxidized flavor. Some subtle notes of raisin and caramel, though these only last for a moment through the middle before the alcohol takes over again. The malt fades to the back as the alcohol heats up through the finish, leaving the beer rather hot and dry. If you look for it you can find some light candy sweetness trying to work it's way into the mix, but the oxidation and alcohol dominate the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with high carbonation. Strong alcoholic warmth and heat create a drying and almost puckering effect on the palate. Carbonation is lively on the tongue, which contributes to the body, though overall the malt character does not hold up well. The beer finishes quite dry and hot at the back of the throat.

Overall: Regretfully this beer comes off quite unbalanced, with heavy emphasis toward the 10% alcohol. Despite the fact that the bottle says the beer should be good until 2012, I'd say it's well past it's prime in the first part of 2010. This beer may have been mishandled somewhere along the way. Somehow oxidization got a hold of this brew taking away all but subtle hints of pleasing Belgian aroma and flavor. I'll probably shy away from this in the future, though I am curious to try another perhaps fresher example.

DanOLeary, Mar 14, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -43.6%

appearance: amber brew, moderately carbonated, tan head of fairly dense bubbles

smell: notes of hay, malt

taste: surprisingly bland. not at all what I'd expect from a triple. notes of candi sugar and alcoholic heat and spice are there, but muted

mouthfeel: typical to the style, light and scouring on the tongue

drinkability: given that Chimay's triple is my all-time favorite beer, I expected a lot from this beer and it failed to live up to that. At $10 a bottle I will definitely save my pennies for Chimay instead of this.

Hunter, May 18, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -41%

New at the SAQ. Nice 750ml bottle.

A- Very nice copper liquid. Carbonation looks very active. Very thick, very airy, almost perfectly white head. Lacing is all over and sticks to the receding head.

S- Sour apple vinegar and strong alcohol, Very strong alcohol. A bit of a cookie smell. The head: bit musty and fart like. The liquid once at room temp: Slightly infected dried fruit. Not really foul, just not very good.

T- Wow alcohol is very strong. Like the smell. Really not as good as I though it would be. Water+Rubbing Alcohol+Belgian Tripel Flavouring. A bit of nectar soda and apple sauce. Gets more and more bitter as it warms.

M- High carbonation. Fairly dry. With the appearance this is probably the most appealing part of this beer. I consider the body low especially considering the amount of carbonation.

D- Not very good. Not much else to say as my review explains why.

Well I'm drunk now. Not satisfied though. This might sound like a stretch but this feels like a Macro take on a Tripel. With the way things are going, shouldn't take too long for one of the big guys too try.

I will try it again if I manage to find one in another SAQ to make sure this wasn't a bad bottle.

Yoonisaykul, Apr 13, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -39%

Maredsous 10 has a hazy yellow orange body with a fluffy off-white head that leaves some lacing behind.

The aroma has some sweet candied sugar in it, with a lot of spiciness. A peppery yeast note is in there, but there also might be hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.

The flavor Maredsous 10 is not what I expected at all from a tripel. The candied sugar sweetness is there in front, but after that this tastes like some sort of spiced beer. The peppercorn flavor comes first; I would say it is more of a green peppercorn than a black peppercorn flavor, but I could be crazy or thinking too hard on this one. Then I notice perhaps a touch of cinnamon that lasts a second before a barrage of nutmeg comes through. A TON of nutmeg. The nutmeg flavor makes this one down right unpleasant actually.

The mouthfeel is moderate the body department, but a little active as far as carbonation goes.

The Nutmeg killed this one. I'm not sure if it is a character of the yeast and an actual additive, but it is unmistakable there. If you've ever cooked using nutmeg, you know that just a pinch produces a pretty noticeable flavor; anymore can ruin a dish. Maredsous 10 is a dish that got more than just a pinch of nutmeg.

Hojaminbag, Nov 28, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -38.5%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass

man did this one fool me. poured a beautiful clear amber. head was above average for a trippel. fruity, mallty, and yeasty im loving the smell. hmmmm... the taste is there but i feel like im swallowing something very astringent. would have been alot better if not for that aftertaste

ikantspel, Sep 09, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

A: Deep gold color. Very good clarity. Effervescent but long-lasting, creamy, white head. Fades to the classic Belgian lacing.

S: Opens with a nice light banana esters typical of style upon the maltiness of the Belgian pale malt and candi. Lacks the complex spiciness/clove scents. No pepper notes or citrus/pale fruit esters. Hops seem mineral like not floral or spicy as in other Tripels.

T: Honestly not much better than the aroma. I drink Tripels for the complexity and challenge of the flavors. This beer provides none. After the open banana esters and malt sweetness, little flavors follow. The beer ends a bit tart then an earthy bitterness from the hops.

M: Light effervescent. Carbonation gives a creaminess.

D: Not really worth the price. I would rather explore American Tripels then pay for another of these.

BWH3, Sep 30, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

750 mL brown bottle.

Dark amber with a thick white head. Nice lacing.

Sweet, malty aroma with a bit of spice.

Starts off sugary but quickly dries out into a sharp astringency. Definite presence of harsh alcohol. Lingering sourness. Thin-bodied with a high level of carbonation.

Very disappointing. Especially since I love Maredsous 8.

Tim2000, Oct 16, 2009

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Clear orange and golden. Thin white head. Some lacing.

Muted aromas, though there is some alcohol heat immediately in the aroma, and as it warms it becomes relatively sweet, with some candied apples and pear aromas.

Sweet and bready malts with definite alcohol harshness--not really something I'm enjoying. I don't want to grade it too harshly for it's alcohol bite because the beer sits at 10%, but it's definitely present, distracting, and dominant. Some sweet and fruity flavors if I search for them, but I'm not particularly enjoying this, and won't finish my glass. Other tripels at similar alcohol volumes don't taste nearly this harsh and boozy. On to the next one...

Medium bodied, alcohol bite. Not a pleasure to drink and I didn't even think of finishing my glass.

An average tripel with too much alcohol harshness. Not something I'll order again.

ehammond1, Jul 16, 2011

George2744, Apr 02, 2012

hawkmage, Dec 31, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -32.6%

Appearance: Deep orange/amber color with light lacing.

Smell: Fruity and yeasty

Taste: Heavy alcohol and bitterness quality...and not in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body

Drinkability: The best way to describe this beer...not good or easy to drink. Period.

Overall: Average to below average Tripel.

OlieIPA, Aug 17, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -30%

Mild spun sugar aroma, but remarkably light aroma for a belgian. Orange hue with the typical big fluffed up Belgian head. Some pear and apple notes and huge malt backbone. Very one dimensional I think. I expect a wider flavor palate from a Tripel and this one only gave me some alcohol and fruit.

Jredner, Mar 06, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -30%

A- Dark amber color, moderate head.

S- Simple aroma of dark fruits and candy sugar.

T- Simple flavor of dark fruits and candy sugar. A touch of wet paper. Ethanol.

M, D- This tripel I find to just not have an acceptable level of drinkability. It is flat, cloying, and is like a chore to finish due to its heavy, sweet, cumbersome construction. Lacking pleasure and inspiration.

WhiteOak, Feb 02, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

A: The body is a dark shade of orange and very opaque. The head is rocky and white, leaving some spotted lacing. It's much darker than most other tripels. Head retention is also noticeably low after pouring.

S: It smells like applesauce. There is some floral esters in the background as well. It smells pretty good, especially if you like applesauce.

T: Lots of alcohol flavor with a hint of wood on the sides. It's not that great tasting. There isn't much actual flavor to the beer aside the pure alcohol flavor that has taken over. There's a hint of apple-like flavor but it's nowhere near what I got from the smell.

M: The mouthfeel is very light and effervescent. It's very well carbonated. Drinkability is very low. While the beer feels very light in the mouth, it is an alcohol bomb.

O: Overall I was not a fan of this tripel. I felt that it didn't have much flavor to back up the huge alcohol presence. There wasn't any particular part of the beer that I found impressive. The fortunate side-effect of drinking this beer, is that it's 10% ABV. If you're looking to get smashed then this is your beer.

teromous, Sep 18, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a Chimay Chalice

A - Crystal clear copper with 2cm white head with tiny bubbles of carbonation running up the side of the glass

S - Tart and Crisp (almost like a dry champagne)

T - Very tart and bitter. Astringent with a strong warming alcohol presence

M - Slightly harsh and dry with ample carbonation

D - This was out of a 750ml bottle, and I now wish I would have picked up the 11.2oz bottle instead. It was a little more astringent that I would have liked - not terrible, but I really wasn't into drinking the second glass.

jlandis, Jun 09, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Best before: 08 2010. The body was dull butterscotch colored with green hues. The head was beige and faded to clumpy islands, a film remained throughout.

Smell was prunes and hard candy. Bread. Cinnamon. Alcohol. Interesting.

Taste was syrupy. Rich. Alcohol was very evident.

Mouthfeel was thick and heavy, with moderate carbonation. Not one of my favorite tripels.

Cresant, Oct 20, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -26.2%

Not knowing this beer I took it with me to try& taste it cause I heard so many good thing about it. After I smelled it I got disappointed. A very sweet and by far fresh arome got into my mouth witch was not hard to smell cause the foam was gone in a second. Taste was ( far too) sweet and also straw like with some bitterness followed. Unbelivable that this comes from Duvel that is one of my favorite beers!

paterlodie, Sep 21, 2004
2.89/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: Pours amber with small head of foam. darker than anticipated
S: rotting wood, mustiness, coriander
T: Extremely dry and nothing of note that I could pick up
M: Sits long on your mouth with a heavy mouthfeel. The flavor soured as it sat on my tongue.
O: Didn't really enjoy this one as much as I first anticipated. It sat long and dry in my mouth and didnt really have any smell/taste that I enjoyed

SavvyStudent, Jan 09, 2014
2.9/5  rDev -25.6%

A - Beautiful translucent amber/golden with a full white head that quickly dissipates leaving a thin even layer and very nice lacing

T - A bit on the sour side, not very sweet. Alcohol taste is definitely present and took away from my overall experience.

S - Lovely sweet fruity smell as expected.

M - has a bit of a sting on the inner lips and tongue.

D - I really enjoy a good tripel or quadrupel, particularly when the alcohol taste isn't overpowering. Unfortunately the alcohol taste is very evident on this and I don't think I'll revisit this anytime soon. Stick with a St. Bernardus or a Val Dieu.

Squaretooth, Feb 14, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A -Clear, orange color, looks more like an IPA than a Tripel in my opinion, but an inviting look none the less

S - Granny Smith apple immediately comes to mind. Belgian yeast aroma very noticeable

T - Alcohol. Leaves a flat light metallic taste, I do not get much more than that. I keep waiting for more flavors to develop. No deal.

M - Medium bodied, but now the medicinal alcohol taste getting to be a bit much. let it sit, let it warm, and no better.

O - I do not care for it. I do not get much flavor at all, no depth, just a boozy warmth, and I want more. May be blasphemy on BA, but I have had much better from Belgium, New York, Canada, and yes, Pennsylvania. Always glad I tried, but this is a one and done for me.

whiterabbit, Oct 28, 2013