Maredsous 10 - Triple - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Maredsous 10 - TripleMaredsous 10 - Triple

good

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Tripel |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maredsous 10 - Triple Alström Bros
Rchap1

Tennessee

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured into a snifter...

A: Good golden color, not too hazy, managed to keep most of the yeast back in the bottle. Great color all in all, a real solid creamy head that stuck around.

S: Pretty floral, little bit of clove and maybe some anise seed? overall, a more herbal scent, definitely getting some of the yeast smell in there too.

T: Pretty decent alcohol taste, not overpowering...I expected more. Again, floral notes here, but also a hint of vanilla as well as some citrus.

M: Carbonation isn't too much (about what you'd want for this kind of brew), Medium feel overall.

D: This is deceptively easy to throw back. I finished mine in near record time. I could probably go throw two in a night...is a little bit on the filling side though.

01-24-2009 02:25:07 | More by Rchap1
Keith238

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

A= Hazy orange color with thick white head which produced lasting rings around the glass.

S= Fruity aroma but nothing that I could pick out.

T= Fantastic flavor, hint of pineapple, tangerines. Slightly astringent at 10% abv but not too strong.

M/D= Overall it's a bit dry and not something that I would drink too much of at once save for the ease that it went down. Very tasty with a medium amount of carbonation.

A pleasant surprise since I plucked it from the cooler having never heard of it before.

01-20-2009 05:12:12 | More by Keith238
Voss

Italy

4.38/5  rDev +12%

What a surprise! This triple is unexpectedly good.
Good appearance, beautiful orange with a soft, spacey foam. Smell is winding, fruity with a hint of honey. Taste is great, so smooth, even more for a triple, a warm embrace with a tart finish. Alcohol makes itself more present sip by sip, leaving a pleasant warm souvenir in your mouth and mind...

01-19-2009 21:15:50 | More by Voss
OlRasputin989

Arkansas

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%

A: Orange-Gold with a 1 finger froth. Hazy with good head retention throughout the glass. Leaves nice lacing

S: Sweet citrus, white grape, butter, vanilla, yeasty, sugary

T: Apple, vanilla, dates, citrusy, alcoholic, bready

M: Creamy and full body, alcohol leaves tongue tingling, but easy to drink and not filling. bitter finish

Overall, nice, sweet and creamy. The only problem i had was the alcohol. For the style, I would want something with morespice than booze

01-16-2009 04:24:20 | More by OlRasputin989
sacullen

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Pours an amber color with a great head that dissipates rather quickly leaving a nice lacing. It does not lace as well when I am drinking it, though.

S: The aroma is a little on the weak side. Some zestiness and spices are evident, along with a little funk.

T: Very interesting and enjoyable. Fruity, slightly sweet. The funk is noticable and too me a few sips to place; the finish/aftertaste really reminds me of a white wine.

M: Very crisp and well carbonated with a dry finish.

D: I would definitely have another. The alcohol is not evident in the taste, though I can certainly feel it even after the first glass. I think I'll stop buying this in 750ml bottles.

While I do enjoy this beer and its "white wine" finish, I don't think it's very representative of a Tripel.

01-11-2009 18:04:56 | More by sacullen
katan

Colorado

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

750 mil bottle, no date

A - Golden brown in color. Lots of head formation. Head is very light in color. Very well retained. Lots of carbonation inside as well - very bubbly. Little hazing otherwise.

S - A sour fruity nose from the yeast. Very assertive. Almost acidic. Almost an oxidized smell I would associate with some of my old homebrews.

T - Starts off with a very phenolic flavor. Lots of alcohol throughout the taste. Mid-stream starts to develop both some bitterness as well as some grainy astringency. Finishes with that yeasty, sour, but yet fruity flavor I found on the nose.

M - Strong in body, heavy in carbonation bite. This beer has a bubbly nature similar to champagne. There is a pleasant sweet coating that is left over on the tongue.

D - The higher ABV plus the heavy palette weight of this beer ruins the drinkability for me. In fact, a 750ml might almost be too much in one evening. Would have to share.

Interesting beer no doubt - but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy this one again.

01-09-2009 04:46:10 | More by katan
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

12 oz bottle from Maredsous gift pack.

Pours a clear dark coppery orange, massive and fluffy white forms, take forever to drop, leaves a ton of lacing, great retention, really brilliant colour. Smell is nice, very sweet, lots of candi sugar, bubblegum, caramel, alcohol, sherry almost, some pineapple and tropical fruit, light spice, pretty neat. Taste is sweet as well, but watery, sugary and caramelized, bread, alcohol, light bubblegum, citrusy kick, some orange peel, spice, bready, very light flavour, not too great. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium to high carbonation, some heat going down. Not too good, overly alcohol and light in the flavour department.

01-08-2009 03:17:57 | More by Viggo
aerozeppl

3.83/5  rDev -2%

From notes

A: Really clear golden color. Which is kind of weird because I usually expect a tripel to have some cloudiness. Poured with a finger of white head with some lacing.

S: Big yeasty character up front with notes of bread and some lighter fruits. Not really much going on.

T: Tons of fruit with a weird taste in the middle which I really cannot define. It is not unpleasant however. Weird yeast used in this one. Hints of apples. Finishes very clean.

M: Very light for the style and the abv. The body is quite dry but I think they used some candi sugar. Very well carbonated.

D: Had this for the first time and it is not bad. I did not have to pay for a bottle which always helps. Not too bad and I would certainly drink again.

01-07-2009 02:01:10 | More by aerozeppl
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Maredsous is definately a great beer don't get me wrong. I love Belgian beer and I love Moortgat overall. I have to say that this beer tastes a little watered down. The flavors are great but they are a bit muted for my tastes. Take this with a grain of salt because I drink mostly extreme beer. I have 4 more of these so I plan on laying them down for 2 years of so to see if the flavors develope a bit more.

I poured mine into a Kapittel Watou chalice. The head was light and slightly vulcanous then withered to almost nothing. The clarity was decent. The color is a burnt toffee but glows superbly in light - wow that is really bright.

The smell is of baked bread and light yeast. Almost no alcohol is detected despite the 10%ABV.

The taste is a little muted. I wish this had a flavor like Rochefort or St. B and at Moortgat prices. This is almost a flemish sour in the background - quite tart. Tasty as it warms.

The mouthfeel is very light and highly carbonated. Even at 10% this beer is extremely drinkable. Decent/Pretty great beer.

01-04-2009 02:59:33 | More by PerzentRizen
funkengruven

Ontario (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Another one from the gift pack, this poured a deep amber with a very nice puffy cloud like head that slowly subsides, more around the edges of the glass than in the middle, makes for an interesting appearance. Smell too is interesting, sour, with the slight scent of red wine. Taste is nice, a little hop bitterness, followed with some sour notes. This beer is lightly carbonated, and has a smooth, light, creamy mouthfeel.

For the strength of this beer, it is a nice easy drink. I'd definitely get this again.

01-02-2009 02:16:46 | More by funkengruven
tai4ji2x

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

from morel's in beijing

330ml bottle with importer's label of dec 2007 and "best by" of 3 yrs later. poured into tulip.

another coppery orange brew from moortgat (i just had maredsous 6)... nearly clear, with only the slightest haze. nice head gradually fades to a thinned but puffy layer, with nice lacing.

fruity nose, of fresh pear and white grape juice, plus hint of canned pineapple. grassy, leafy, faintly herbal hop in the back, mixing with faint phenols.

the fruit in the flavor is proud and makes itself known, with something approaching a semi-dry riesling. phenols actually approximate faint caraway and coriander seed-like spices with a hint of something sweeter like anise. earthy, leafy hop gives moderate bitterness into an interesting finish that combines all of the above. touch of acidity underneath for a moment in the middle.

smooth, with moderate, almost fluffy carbonation, but a touch of astringency and acidity, and finishing with perhaps a slightly watery feel.

not a model tripel in my eyes (the color is also on the dark side), but more than worthy as just a decent beer overall.

12-28-2008 11:23:39 | More by tai4ji2x
speedemon55

This is one of my favorite beers. Best paired with a burger with Gouda cheese. What I'll wish for my last meal before the lethal injection. This beer is one of the determining factors why I think Belgium makes some of the world's best beers. I'd recommend it to anyone.

12-28-2008 03:01:50 | More by speedemon55
rgrholmes168

The head was almost overwhelming on this beer probably a little bit high, but that could have been the pour, not the beer. The color is a nice hzay orange and the foam left lace all the way down the sides.

The yeast comes through this refermentated beer and plenty of fruit. The taste mosts reminds me of peach and there is not a sign of any bitterness. Plenty of carbonation and very light bodied.

The taste and lightness makes it hard to remember this is 10% ABV. Overall a pretty good beer, but Belgians are not my speciality.

12-28-2008 02:31:21 | More by rgrholmes168
ccrida

Oregon

3.95/5  rDev +1%

33cl bottle (best before 11/09, so probably 1 or 2 years old) that I've cellared for 6-8 months. Poured into my Maredsous chalice, Maredsous 10 is a dull, dark burnt gold with a large rocky, merangue like white head that takes forever to settle, heavy foamy lace. A tad less explosive then the 8 (I fit the whole bottle in the chalice on the first pour), but it had a louder crackle.

Smell is bright tropical fruits, sugary, and a bit of sour malt, wheat perhaps?

Interestingly enough, it seems to soften as it warms, opposite the taste, which opens up nicely.

Taste is spicy and alcoholic, some fruitiness, dusty, herbal hops

Mouthfeel is smooth and very dry, medium-light bodied, highly digestible, nice carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good, a fine tripel, although it's a bit to hot and spicy for my taste, even with some age. Probably that I prefer their dubbel, that I just had, but nevertheless, it's a good one. I highly recommend letting it age, however, as I recall having this on draught a few years back and thinking it was much more sol event like.

12-23-2008 01:24:33 | More by ccrida
Itoclown

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Purchased from Siciliano's in Grand Rapids for only $2.99.

Look: Light brown, hazy. Looks like a quad or a dubbel. Heads dissipates over time.
Smell: Caramel, fruit, Belgian yeast.
Taste: Dark, Caramel, almost brown sugar like (I can't pin point what it is...) Can't taste the 10% alcohol.
Mouthfeel: Great! One of the smoothest tripel's I've had. Not overwhelming on the tongue like some other Belgians I've had.
Overall: Again, one of the smoother tripel's I've had. It's the darkest tripel's I've ever seen. Plus, for less than three bucks, it's well worth the buy. I highly recommend this beer. Another quality beer from Duvel Moortgat.

12-17-2008 02:30:50 | More by Itoclown
yesyouam

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

This beer is a hazy yellow-amber with a big frothy head that leaves excellent lacing. The aroma is of cookies, toffee, and banana chips. The yeast provides a sour, musty scent. The flavor is banana-bubblegum, clove, soy sauce and wood. It has a full, creamy feel that tapers off to a dry dusty aftertaste. It is moderately bitter and acidic and lightly sweet. A good Tripel.
(rated Apr 11, 2007)

12-15-2008 14:51:57 | More by yesyouam
meday

New Hampshire

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Split the large bottle with my wife and poured into both my Chimay Chalice and Allagash Tulip. It had a great, lush white head on top of a golden amber. The head retention was wonderful.

Very subtle smell of sweet earth. Pleasant and secretive.

Taste of apricot and spice. A slight cidery taste, but almost no alcohol presence. A wonderful flavor for a tripel.

The mouthfeel was the best attribute. Warm and delicate, with nice carbonation to give it some movement on the tongue.

A great combination with a meal or appetizer.

12-15-2008 02:54:12 | More by meday
FACSman

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Nice copper color with a thin, creamy head

S - Spicy and malty, good belgian aroma.

T - Good, sweet but a bit more caramely and malty than I expected from a triple. Nice peppery notes.

M - Again, kind of heavy for a triple but not bad by any means.

D - Fairly drinkable, but I am happy to have just one in a sitting. Kind of heavy.

12-13-2008 02:50:55 | More by FACSman
magictrokini

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

Kind of disappointed with this one. Pours clear gold with a massive, thick, fluffy white head and lots of carbonation. Aroma was a little weak; yeasty and sugary, with some apple. The taste was mostly apples, raisins, and candy sugar with some spice. The problem was that all the flavors seemed to be a little flat. Good, but not great

12-05-2008 21:28:19 | More by magictrokini
lessthanhadley

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

Not much to add to previous reviews.

A: Shows a long lasting white foamy head. A nice dark red/amber color.

S: Sweet, the way a triple should

T: A bit peppery if anything, heavy on the Belgian yeast.

M: Strong bottle conditioned carbonation

D: A good sipper. Drinkable, but oly for one or two.

12-05-2008 03:39:15 | More by lessthanhadley
popery

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

A bitter, somewhat medicinal Tripel that is still quite good. This is a difficult category and Maredsous has some extremely stiff competition. At any rate, the beer looks great. It's a dusky gold with a fine soapy head. It fits just right in my Chimay goblet. The nose is beginning to grow on me, but it's still somewhat medicinal and bitter. It smells very Belgian and won't be confused for an American Tripel. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but maybe it will strike a chord with someone.

The flavor is earthy and good, but something is just kind of off. I'm not quite sure why. It's not a bad tripel. The alcohol is hidden away in complexity. I'm nibbling on a small bit of good cheddar cheese while I drink it and that adds to the experience, although I would prefer an even larger-flavored cheese. The sharpness of the cheddar provides a nice contrast to the bittersweet earthiness of the beer.

The feel is excellent. It's velvety and smooth. Fine bubbles prick gently at your tongue. It's a fairly drinkable beer that has grown on me over the course of a meager 11.2 oz. This score may well have gone up if I had more beer. Strike that. This score will go up because I have a 75cl bottle in my closet cellar.

12-03-2008 06:07:19 | More by popery
jujubeast6000

2.98/5  rDev -23.8%

Reviewed 1/20/2006 (750mL bottle poured into a plastic cup):

Pours an amber red brownish colored body, with a big white head. Has an aroma of some raisin, and flowers. And has a strong taste of perfume, with a fizzy palate, and some alcohol hotness.

12-03-2008 03:59:13 | More by jujubeast6000
100floods

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

pours an apple juice carmel amber with a white head. noticeable carbonation. Smells of winter spices, a little like cider, but with a belgian yeast flare.

It tastes a lot like it smells. Phenol and spiced flavors. Not as a little more bite on the pallet than say a St. Bernardus tripel, but not as crazy as an american tripel can be. I taste orange peels and something else, but not a citrus flavor. definitely good for a cold winter night.

Yeah this one is good, probably not entirely what I was in the mood for, but I cannot complain. Good, but not one of the best.

12-02-2008 05:09:43 | More by 100floods
sprucetip

Alaska

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

From a corked 750ml bottle

Medium copper, fairly clear for bottle conditioned ale. Lots of bubbles coming from bottom. Decent white head with good retention and lots of long lasting lacing.

Spicy, yeasty and a bit malty. Sweetness comes bout more as glass empties. somewhat subdued aroma, though pleasant.

Spicy, floral, malty and Belgian yeasty. Balanced. alcohol flavor comes in with the finish, but not overpowering.

Warming and tingling. Full bodied, almost creamy, with pleasantly dry finish.

This one has always gone down more quickly than such a big beer should, and this sample was no exception. I would keep drinking it if there were more. There isn't.

It surprises me sometimes when I discuss favorite Belgians and or tripels and this one doesn't get mentioned often. I think it's great.

11-29-2008 01:01:36 | More by sprucetip
brdc

Wisconsin

4.28/5  rDev +9.5%

Large corked bottle, best before December 2009, poured into a goblet.

Very nice looking bright orange brew with a creamy, dense and everlasting off-white head that coats all sides of the glass with lacing that sticks around seemingly forever.
The very pleasant aroma strikes you as you pour; if not complex, quite nice. Fruity, yeasty, sweetish candy.
Nearly full bodied, very creamy, it is again not complex, but nonetheless delicious on its own right. Fruity and sweet, dry layers, orange bite, yeasty tones. Alcohol is barely noticeable, unless it is responsible for that spiciness (it does not appear to be).

11-25-2008 01:39:24 | More by brdc