Maredsous 10 - Triple - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Maredsous 10 - TripleMaredsous 10 - Triple

good

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Tripel |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maredsous 10 - Triple Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

I expected alot more from this, but nevertheless, was still a good brew. Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a snifter. The beer poured a deep amber, forming a very thin 1/4 inch head, that dissipated quickly, leaving very light lacing. The smell is nice dark fruit aroma along with a light alcohol presence. The taste is a fruity flavor along with sweet pale malts, and a hint of alcohol. Light smooth mouthfeel, and clean finish. Very drinkable for a tripel. Overall, I was a bit let down by this brew. I expected a fuller flavor and head retention, but didnt get as much of either. However, it is still a very delicious ale worth trying.

This beer impressed by being both a pretty tasty beer and fairly different from other tripels I’ve had. The beer is spicy (typical) but this spice is balanced by a citrus sweetness that I found very well balanced. My notes also contain the phrase "the opposite of mellow," which I remember thinking as praise masked as criticism. Combine this with the fine carbonation and smooth mouthfeel that secondary fermentation can provide, and you have yourself a winner.

This beer poured a dark straw color with a very white head. Aroma was a lot of clove combined with some zesty citrus notes. Taste was very clovey with a touch of sour. The remark in my notes "the opposite of mellow" remind me that I thought this beer was "big" but also had potential for those who age beers to become something more complex in time.

A nice beer, and definitely recommended.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

I'm pouring this from a 750ML caged and corked bottle.(best by 05 2009)
It has a medium gold colour and it's clear. The head of foam is pretty large and it has some nice lacing. The foam settles down after a few minutes but stays for the entire session as a solid fine layer. A good looker.

The smell is very fruity and I get some spiciness as well. A few more whiffs reveals a caramel malt base and some yeasty tones.

The taste has a lot of dark fruit, like plum and fig, and caramel malt that is pretty tasty. There's also some tartness and some yeast and the alcohol is noticeable but not offensive. Another sipping Tripel and as always, I'm going to take my time to enjoy this offering.

Swishing the Ale in my mouth, I notice a pretty substantial hop presence...there's a lot going on in my New Belgium chalice, for sure. One thing that kind of detracts from my liking it more is a not so pleasing bitterness that comes in near and through the finish. Still, this is a good Tripel in my book and I'd drink it again though I prefer the Chimay Tripel that I can get locally.(I got this from Liquorama)

The second pour gives me a cloudy orange-gold with more of the sweet malty goodness and less of the bitterness I'm complaining about and that's....a good thing. I'm drinking this at room temp and maybe I'll "chill" the bottle the next time I try it and let it warm up. A cold first pour will probably ge me better results....

Bottom line: Like I said, this is a good example of the style and is worth seeking out. Did it make my favourite Belgian Tripels list? No, but again, it's interesting and different enough to warrant a shot. Who knows...it may make your favourite Tripels list.

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Recently available in South Florida, this offering from the makers of Duvel is a nice addition, and one of my favorite styles. Typical fizzy golden brew, with an average head and retention. A little on the sweet side, tangy and crisp. Seems like a relative of Duvel in that regard. ABV well hidden in the taste. Goes down pretty easy for a brew with a 10% kick. Not quite at the level of Westmalle, but right up there with the rest.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

330ml bottle bought from Gapwines as part of a Maredsous giftpack.. poured into a Maredsous glass...

Poured a nice light coppery rust colour. Creamy head with some copper hints poured big, thick and meringue like then faded slowly to good thick covering... loads of carbonation bubbles form a steady stream to the surface... lots of sticky lacing also..

Aroma - Spicy fruits (pineapples, apricots, lemons, light fig notes), lots of Belgian yeasty notes, bready, candy sugar / honey sweetness, very peppery, some caramel hints, light clove notes, vanilla, grassy, quite herbal...

Taste – Spicy / peppery, strong herbal notes, juicy / spicy fruits (apricots, grapefruits, bitter oranges, some lemons), again lots of Belgian yeastiness, toffee / candy sugar, light oaky notes, floral / grassy hops...

Feel - Pretty sharp and dry... light bodied.. pretty damn drinkable for 10% - dangerously so !!

Overall - A very fine triple... exactly what i would expect in one... highly recommended...

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A slightly amber tripel with a long-lasting, foamy head and traditional Belgian lacing. There are aromas of apple, rubber, and tobacco, and it has strong flavors of cotton candy and alcohol, both of which are complemented by a light saltiness, a hint of burned rubber, pear and pepper. The finish is slightly sweeter than other tripels I've had, but it's still relatively dry and accompanied by a marked alcohol warming.

Overall, this is a complex beer with a wide diversity of flavors that come together in a strong and well-balanced ale. The length and neverending play of flavors across the tongue do much to mask this beer's strength and encourage me to drink it far too quickly.

Highly recommended.

3.48/5  rDev -11%

Short and stubby 11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet. Pours an amber/orange color with a thin white head. The aroma is dry and fruity with some belgian yeast. The taste is sweet malt, spicy hops and some warming from the alcohol. Admittadly, I enjoy dubbels and quads much more than tripels in general. With that said, this is a decent brew that is worth a try.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

A: orange hued beer. Nice head at first then it fades leaving a ring and some standing, floating film of a head on top. Not hazy like some tripels.

S: like citrus honey, sweet bready malt, alcoholic

T: bubbly at first, then sweet bread and honey mixed with lemon twisty zang, and finally dry alcohol in the end. Once it warms up a bit, the malt is less apparant and the hoppy bitterness has more of a bite, however its only slightly more noticeable and never overpowering as tripels should not be known for the hoppiness but rather the nice malty sweetness. I would say its a nice balance of malt, sweets, hops, and alcohol. You can taste the dryness of the OHs in there, buts it not overpowering in any sense, and definately cant tell its a 10% AC. It hides it well.

M: For me, its a bit too bubbly for its classic style, but overall its a good beer to drink.

D: I could see myself drinking a few of these out on the porch watching the sun go down.

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

Dark orange, almost a light brown, quite dark for a tripel. No haze right away but it looks like there's some yeast buildup in the bottle. Light tan head blasts up and recedes nicely, leaving full lacing all around. The nose isn't huge, some sweet malt and yeasty fruit.

There is a lot of carbonation here, but it's rather thick for a tripel. Full flavors, some bitterness - hops and fermented grain. Alcohol is a big warming presence, brings in some fruit esters with the yeast. I find it too viscous to give it perfect mouthful because it doesn't seem within the style. But I love it. The finish is too dry, the abv is to high, and the bitterness too harsh for drinkability to be higher than four.

It's a tasty beer, but it doesn't have that much in common with a tripel; there is a little more dark or dried fruit rather than floral sweetness, very thick in the mouth. Very Belgian in the big flavors and disregard for style, call it a dessert tripel. Pair this one with lightly bitter chocolates to dampen the astringency with some sweetness and complement with fermented cacao.

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

truly the tastiest tripel tasted thusly truly totemic. ok, enough with the lame T words. This was purchased at a bar in Boston and served in matching Maredsous 10 glass ware. I have had may tripels and what stood out was how sublimely balanced this beer was. Classically presented, phenomenally drinkable and deceptive. Hides the ABV very well IMO.

Try it and you'll be pleased!

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Light amber color with an off white creamy head that laces nicely. Smell of honey, sweet malt with the traditional belgian yeast. Taste is pretty much the same with a good spike of carbonation. Mouthfeel has medium body thats creamy but also dry making for a well rounded Belgian tripel that will be on my list to try again.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance: More or less golden in color, with an orange tint. Big fluffy white head, with good retention and sporadic lacing.

Smell: Smells very much like the last Belgian-style beer I brewed, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same exact yeast strain. A bit more hop character than you'd expect. Belgian and fruity, but less spice and other notes than expected.

Taste: Reminds me more of a Belgian Strong Pale Ale than a tripel. Finishes dry from the alcohol, but you'd never think it was 10% abv. Vinous in the middle, spicy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, reminiscent of La Fin du monde in this respect, I thought.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable, though in my opinion perhaps miscategorized.

4.8/5  rDev +22.8%

11.2 FL OZ bottle.

Poured out a inch and half thick chunky white head. It reduced to about half an inch while leaving a trail of thick lace. Every sip revealed a new ring of lace. The color is a hazy gold. The aroma has the typical Belgian smell. Exceptional mouthfeel in every aspect. Total balance of bitterness, carbonation, texture, Hops, Body, Finish. The ABV is high, but drinkability will be also. I can't believe how drinkable this is. Gentle warming of the stomach. First sip gave me the chills because I couldnt believe how good it is. haha, I also can't believe how fast I am drinking this! Taste has just the right balance of hops and malt.This is like sex in a bottle.I rarely give out 5's and this beer is just about all 5's. I would like to see a more complex aroma meaning it is a bit one-sided. 90% done with this and I am feeling the ABV.This has been an absolute pleasure to drink. I will try this again.

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance- Beautiful clear, dark, golden color. Pretty much the color of apple juice. Nice loose but creamy one head with lots of staying power. Head turns very 3 diminsional with time, and leaves some lace,

Aroma- Starts out as green apple. Little malt sweetness, no hop aroma at all. As it warms, you get a little malt sweetness in addition to some other fruitiness.

Taste- Very potent. Slightly sour with a strong yeasty, funky, hoppy taste towards the end. Failry peppery towards the end.

Mouthfeel- Medium body. So over-carbonated, you lose a lot of the taste.

Drinkability- Except for the over-carbonation, quite drinkable.

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter. Label states best before 03 2007, so it seems I picked this one up just in time.

Golden body with an excellent head. Lots of carbonation visible. The head dissipated to a thin foam with decent lacing.

Aroma right out of the bottle is just excellent. Powerful fruity sweetness with background spices.

Apricot/peach flavor with Belgian spices. Boasts quite a strong bitterness which I enjoy. Alcohol is not detectable at all in the flavor. Finishes with a light breadyness.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

From John’s Liquor in Eureka, CA. Poured cloudy dull orange into my new Duvel glass with big foamy head that settled faiirly swiiftly leaving big chunks of lacing. Powerfull nose of yeast, flowers, and alcohol. Mouthfeel is fizzy, kind of like champagne, and taste is banana with some sweetness. Finish shows high alcohol content . Very nice Abbey Tripel

Pours a delightful golden-amber color into a Duvel glass. Off-white, rocky head rises from a moderate pour. Heavy column of bead rises from center of glass. Smells bready and of Belgian yeast. Fruity green apple smell in there too. Swirling releases a light alcohol odor but is still inviting. Drying, medicinal taste mixed with the tart apple taste. Excellent example of a tripel. Doesn't even have the metallic taste that some of the others do. Finish is slightly drying and warming also. Medium to light body with very enjoyable carbonation. Dangerously drinkable and close to sister product Duvel.

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Probably subconciously thinking of Duvel because I poured it into my Duvel tulip, for some reason I gave this one a really slow careful pour. So the beer looks really nice but not as amazing as my favorite, Westmalle. The only other tripel I've had lately is Chimay White, this one is similar in appearance. Very pretty, brilliant honey color.

Big, bold Belgian smells hit the nostrils at the crack of the cap, even before the pour. That's a good sign. Standard smells for the style, yeast, pineapple-citrus hops, sugary malt, a healthy dose of alcohol. It's not exactly unique or spectacular, but it's not bad at all. In fact I like it more with each sniff, every sip improving on the last, (maybe it's the 10% hitting me already!)

Surprisingly bitter. I expected a sweeter taste from the smell, but this tripel rocks the tastebuds with some intense bitterness. Kind of a medium mouthfeel, the high abv is not too distracting. This is the strongest beer I've had in a while, and definitely the most bitter since my last IPA. Maredsous 10 didn't disappoint, I'd definitely get it again and recommend it as one of the top tripels.

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Nice pale golden color with a very slight haze. Creamy one finger head that recedes to lumps leaving a lot of lace on the glass.

S: Upon initial pour this had a green apple aroma. As it came up to tempurature a banana and sweet fruit characteristic came out. Mild alcohol in the nose.

T: Solid malt backbone with sweet fruit, bananas, clove, pepper, Belgian yeast, spicy hops, and alcohol.

M: Creamy and full. Nice spicy interplay on the tongue between the hops and the alcohol. Excellent balance between the malt, sweet, and hop flavors.

D: Excellent drinkability for something that is packing 10%. The drinkability is helped along by the balance going on here. Everything seems to blend very nicely and no one thing steps up and tramples over anything else.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a somewhat murky gold color with a massive frothy bright white head that recedes slowly but does leave a nice bit of pretty lacing around the glass.

S: Nice light smells of bubblegum, cloves, a bit of banana and some nice malts. A pleasant smell all around although there just isn't much of it unfortunately.

T: The alcohol is the first thing I notice, it's not hidden as well as I would have liked, but let's get on to the goods. Oddly enough I taste more bitter hops than I do the sugary malts that you'd typically associate with a Triple. Other tastes of bubblegum and a blend of spices. Pretty average for a triple in my eyes but still pretty pleasant.

MF: Nothing wrong with this ale in this category it's pretty spot on, it dances on the tounge with just enough carbonation and a bit oily but that (in my eyes) is a plus. I don't feel it's worthy of a straight up 5 simply because it doesn't amaze me, it's just that nothing is wrong with it.

D: Not too bad in this category, definitely a beer for colder weather as the alcohol content does tend to warm you up quite a bit, although it's not exactly an "every weekend" type of beer either.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

This is a honey-colored, effervescent liquid that’s slightly hazy. The head is simply enormous: white, towering, stiff, and long-lasting. The aroma is primarily centered on malt and alcohol, followed with a little fruit (citrus and apple), rising dough, and sugar. The taste is sweet, with a sugar and pepper flavor. There’s a nice caramel flavor as well. Lots of alcohol warming. This beer has a very full body that’s tempered by the fact that it’s amazingly carbonated. The brew is a real treat.

Purchased at Sams, poured into a biere de miel glass nice thick white head that dissipates into fat uneven lumps. Theres nice thin, yet dense lacing. The color is a hazy translucent blond orange, that has slight peach tones when held in-front of light. Smells of pale malt sweetness, pineapple juice, citrus no real hop sharpness, maybe a couple hidden notes of bread and an underlying yet well covered alcohol tinge.
Taste is a tinge cloying yet not too bad, starts with a big medium malt sweetness, then some sweet mild tart lemon bread, then a crispness on the swallow followed by some alcohol warmth. Flavor wise pretty malty, fruity, tasty and backed by strong alcohol boost in the after taste. Leaves a little film or residue on your tongue, which I haven't decided if I like yet, but what ever. This is definitely not a witkap style tripel and might be a little too much for some, but I think its a nice interpretation. Also the esters are a bit different than you'd find in your typical tripel mainly lack of banana, but all and all this is good enough for me to drink every now and then.

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

Appearance - A hazy orange color that was topped with a huge white puffy head. The lacing seems to be glued to the duvel tulip I poured it into.

Smell - Very malty with some sweetness and a bit of citrus. Also maybe a hint of sharp alcohol can be detected.

Taste - Medium bodied and very carbonated. I seem to taste a pretty good amount of alcohol too. Maybe a little too hot (or obviously high in alcohol) for my taste.

Mouthfeel - Leaves the tongue dry and arid. I've definitely had triples that weren't nearly as bold or "obnoxious".

Drinkability - wow. Had one, can't have any more. You definitely don't want to tango with alot of this stuff, especially if you drink it in the 750mL format.

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

This beer poured a cloudy golden orange out of a 25 ounce bomber into a wine glass. There was a creamy white head with nice retention and lacing. The smell was fruity, with a slight alcoholic tinge to it.

The taste was a bit overt; powerful malt, strong alcohol, and a slight bitterness. It wasn't bad, but too atringent to really appreciate the usual subtleties that come along with tripels. Mouthfeel was smooth and the finish was clean. Drinkability was decent for 10% ABV, despite the alcoholic undertone... overall it's an OK tripel, certainly not the best, but not bad.

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

This one pours out with a very thick head that doesn't disappear quick,and a nice sweet and fruity smell to it.It has a cloudy golden brown color and it has a good creamy feeling to it and has a mild sweet/bitter aftertaste and I can barely taste the alcohol in it, very smooth taste over all.

Maredsous 10 - Triple from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV