Duvel Tripel Hop - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Tripel HopDuvel Tripel Hop

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ggaughan on 12-17-2007)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Tripel Hop Alström Bros
GregBlatz

2.55/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Golden yellow. Very aggressive head that is pure white and settles in a rocky fashion. A little hazy.

S - Cereal grains. Slight phenolic notes. A little sweetness is apparent.

T - Typical tripel sweetness. More cereal grain taste. A nice bitterness helps to balance the cloying sweetness. The bitterness is subdued but much more pronounced than you would find in a typical tripel. I think that the bitterness might be wiping out the light fruitiness that you would typically find in a tripel.

M - Thin and very slick. Alcohol burn is crazy aggressive. Extremely carbonated.

O - Never been a tripel fan. This is not as dry as I would have expected and the hop bitterness should have helped it here. This beer is way too 'hot' for me to really appreciate. A very strong cereal grain sweetness. I know that they don't use adjunct grains, but that is the flavor I get. Makes me think I just opened a can of corn and poured in some neutral grain spirits. Not my cup of tea.

06-11-2012 00:22:10 | More by GregBlatz

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

04-28-2014 01:51:15 | More by electtodefer
AdamBear

2.95/5  rDev -29.9%

Thanks to em0217 for getting me this one!

bottled March 18, 2010.

A-light cloudy pale yellow with a large white head and some lacing

S-smells like a funky belgian pale ale. has some serious grassyness and belgian spice.

T-comes in with low key belgian malts. they're not very pronounced. it does however come in with a lot of heat. the after-taste is of belgian malts and some grassyness. this isn't like any belgian IPA that i've had. it lacks a nice hops presence.

M-has a medium carbonation and a hot finish.

D-i just can't find the quality here. i couldn't finish the bottle. it had too much heat, even for a 9.5% beer. this isn't a good belgian or a good IPA. i won't be getting this one again.

02-27-2011 04:36:45 | More by AdamBear

01-02-2012 02:36:48 | More by BMart
ricke

Sweden

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

A: Pale hazy yellow with a big white head. Good retention and lacings.

S: Peppery and somewhat floral hops, tobacco, fruity yeast and biscuity malts.

T: Gentle malty backbone, rather sweet. Peppery and floral hops. Citric notes. Notes of fruit and yeast. The finish is somewhat bitter with notes of grassy hops and a hint of alcohol.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation. Easy to drink.

D: A decent beer, no more. Didn't live up to the hype.

10-16-2009 19:20:37 | More by ricke
ninaturner

07-06-2014 01:16:23 | More by ninaturner
teromous

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

A: Slightly hazy golden body with a long-standing fluffy white head that leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S: It has a catty scent to it, with a sort-of funky musky horse blanket overtone. I wasn't expecting that funky smell.

T: It has good flavor. There's a bit of earthy root flavor at first, then some grain flavor comes through just a bit in the middle. A hint of mint in there as well, and it has a slighly off-putting soapy taste to it. I wouldn't say it is the most pleasant Belgo-IPA to drink, but it's not apologetic in its flavor. It puts every flavor forward whether you are ready for it or not. I think this beer is interesting enough to drink but it's not a combinaton of flavors that I would crave.

M: The mouthfeel is very good, sitting nicely in the mouth. At 9.5% the alcohol is unnoticeable, and the bitterness is fairly low despite being an IPA which works in the faovr of this beer which highlights flavor over brute bitterness.

O: This was a nice beer to drink with good hop flavor and high drinkablility. Fans of high-hop beers will enjoy the flavor, and those who aren't fans of over-the-top bitterness will enjoy its mellow presence. I don't think that there is anything escpecially fantastic about the beer so it puts it near middle-ground. Personally there was a soap-like aftertaste that made the drinking experience a bit unpleasant. The beer is at odds with itself, with many positives and a few negatives, but in the end it was a so-so beer.

07-20-2013 02:57:44 | More by teromous

t0rin0

09-08-2012 00:13:59 | More by t0rin0
champ103

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

A: Pours a clear straw yellow color. At first a two finger bubbly white head forms, and leaves some patchy lace behind as the foam gently recedes.
S: Raw hops, lightly citrus, lightly grassy. Peppery and musky yeast.
T: Very raw and rough for me. Husky, grassy hops. Doughy malts and some yeast. Not really digging this as much as I thought I was going to.
M/D: A medium body with a lot of prickly carbonation. Very dry as well. A bit of alcohol, but otherwise not hard to sip on.

This reminds me a lot of Boulevard's Imperial Pilsner Collaboration, and I was not really a huge fan of that either. Worth a try, especially for the Duvel fans. Though a bit of a let down for me.

11-16-2010 22:42:57 | More by champ103
seeswo

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Big, expensive bottle of 9.5% Duvel Triple Hop. Really light in color and I get slightly banana, citrus and booze in the nose. The front is...not much? Meager hops on the back end, with a residual dryness that tickles the sides of the tongue, while still leaving the tiniest sweetness (and I understand it sounds odd to say dryness combined with sweetness).

I hear great things, but I don't really know what there is to like about this beer. I would never drop the coin to get this again. Not a bad beer, but not one I'll be revisiting.

12-15-2010 06:27:02 | More by seeswo
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

I'm not into this beer as most people are it might seem. This is a 2010 vintage.

Pours straw yellow and stays that way with tons of bubbles. Looks like yellow champagne with a big bone white head. I usually dont love beers that look like this.

The smell is dry and bready malts abound with banana, some yeast esters, some small fruity notes, and really no hops to me. A little faint, with some alcohol poking through later as it warms.

Taste is a little better than the smell with a bitter lemony finish that has an almost sour after taste. Some yeast, candied malt, banana, bread, and some grassy hops not as much as i hoped. Some alcohol sweetness thats ok. It's pretty carbonated as it looks, and not bad medium light feel.

Not a huge fan, pretty forgettable and WAY over priced IMHO.

12-26-2010 01:14:02 | More by Dreadnaught33
adamette

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Live review. This is the 63rd review of this beer on BA. Poured from the corked, caged and gold foil topped bottle that I bought at World Wines & Liquor in Mentor, Ohio last week for $17.99. It came with a little booklet on the back of which is printed the following: Brewed on 18 May 2010. I have to admit that I was very excited to see this bottle in the bottle shop as I had seen an advertisement or maybe I read about it here on BA a while back and was curious. I have had regular Duvel and "Duvel Green" and I liked both of them. The bottle itself is very impressively presented. The gold writing, the small stuck on label that looks at first to be hand written and the gold foil (with "Tripel Hop" written on the foil) is all very well done! Alas, my admiration for the bottle and packaging will NOT be part of my review of the beer! Poured into my gold rimmed Brewery Ommegang Westveteren style goblet.

A Creamy, Meringue (whipped egg) like head over a slightly hazy, translucent straw yellow body with 10 or 12 strings of bubbles rising up from the bottom. Head sticks around for a while (I like that) and clings to the inside fo the glass nicely. Really good look, not unlike classic Duvel. 4.5

S Classic Belgian yeast earthy goodness with citrus notes but not a lot of hops bitterness to my nose. Regardless of the "aggressively hopped" indication on the top of the front label, the smell is of standard Duvel but I really like that smell so my rating will reflect that. 4.0

T I take a sip through the still present head of at least one inch some 4 minutes after pouring to experience the following: Sure enough, the taste extends right from the smell again. Strong citrus notes (lemony more than orange or anything else) with significant Belgian yeast earthiness. It is not until the late 1/3 of the taste that I perceive any hops bitterness and it is the variety that kind of just eases in. I am sure that my palate has been altered by American hammer-you-over-the-head with hops grapefruit bitterness but these hops are the subtle European type. That is not a criticism but a description. There is a strange kind of hollowness (cannot think of a better word right now) between the initial 1/3 of Belgian yeast and citrus bite and the slow onset hops. I don't recall that regular Duvel or even Duvel Green had that. I am not sure that I like that very much. It took me several sips to perceive that but repeated sips confirmed it. This is nothing if not an interesting beer. I will say that it is better than the average for the style but not much more than that. 3.5

M Kind of difficult to describe again but I will try. As stated above, 3 different "feels" to this beer.
1. Citrus bitterness and earthy Belgian yeasts
2. A kind of hollowness as the taste transitions from the above to the below.
3. Slooow onset hops bitterness that is "European" in nature
In my opinion, the feel and taste of this beer are closely related. Overall, I thought the feel was a bit thin. 3.0

D Well I just finished the 1 pint, 9.4 oz bottle and I am surprised to report that it actually was a bit of a struggle to finish it. I think that it was the citrus bitterness the elevated ABV and that slow onset (but moderate) hops bitterness that made it not so easy to drink. It took me 40 minutes to get to that last sip. 2.0

Notes: This was a challenging beer for me to rate. I love Duvel and I recall really enjoying Duvel Green. This fell short of my high expectations. I still really like the packaging for what it is worth!

12-04-2010 04:18:01 | More by adamette
lazjuarez

3.43/5  rDev -18.5%

Brewed on May 18, 2010. Poured into a goblet.

A: Pours a light hazy straw color with 2 fingers worth of a bright white fluffy head. Good retention with some light lacing. Carbonation coming off the bottom of the glass.

S: Nose is citrusy, almost like lemons, grassy notes with light yeast/earthy qualities. Very light pepper notes as well.

T: Hop bitterness up front, paired with some good spicing. Alcohol is evident, slight warming, but subsides after the second sip. Oxidation is present in my opinion, did not evolve with the little it cellared.

M: Light bodied, very small carbonation and a bit of an alcohol kick which cleanses the palate well.

Overall, I believe I need to review this brew fresh, the taste and mouthfeel felt off. I felt like I was drinking a strong saison.

06-05-2011 06:19:28 | More by lazjuarez
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

Beautiful, beautiful bottle from beautiful Buffalo.

Gold body with a fluffy white head. Good retention and lace. Differs from regular Duvel in that it's got a cloudier appearance. Floral, steely nose, with underlying fruity sweet malts. Classic Duvel flavour with a twist. Fristly, some nice hops giving it a bit of a noble hop and juicy marmalade character. Secondly, way too much booze just wrecking it completely. Medium body and carb. Drinkability is hindered by the alcohol.

Neat to try, but certainly not an improvement on the original. This could have worked a lot better.

03-23-2011 01:16:02 | More by bobsy
JDV

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottle shared at tasting. Thanks!!
Pours a light golden color with the characteristic huge lasting white meringue like head. Smell is sweet fruity, and almost corn like maltiness with a faint twinge of hops. Taste is as expected and very original duvel like with a hopped edge to it. Still fairly sweet and grainy with a nice finishing hoppiness to it and a black peppery spiciness too. Nice. I definitely enjoyed this more than the standard Duvel.

04-06-2008 19:02:46 | More by JDV