Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Duvel Tripel Hop - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Tripel HopDuvel Tripel Hop

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: ggaughan on 12-17-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Tripel Hop Alström Bros
2.58/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Golden yellow. Very aggressive head that is pure white and settles in a rocky fashion. A little hazy.

S - Cereal grains. Slight phenolic notes. A little sweetness is apparent.

T - Typical tripel sweetness. More cereal grain taste. A nice bitterness helps to balance the cloying sweetness. The bitterness is subdued but much more pronounced than you would find in a typical tripel. I think that the bitterness might be wiping out the light fruitiness that you would typically find in a tripel.

M - Thin and very slick. Alcohol burn is crazy aggressive. Extremely carbonated.

O - Never been a tripel fan. This is not as dry as I would have expected and the hop bitterness should have helped it here. This beer is way too 'hot' for me to really appreciate. A very strong cereal grain sweetness. I know that they don't use adjunct grains, but that is the flavor I get. Makes me think I just opened a can of corn and poured in some neutral grain spirits. Not my cup of tea. (976 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

Thanks to em0217 for getting me this one!

bottled March 18, 2010.

A-light cloudy pale yellow with a large white head and some lacing

S-smells like a funky belgian pale ale. has some serious grassyness and belgian spice.

T-comes in with low key belgian malts. they're not very pronounced. it does however come in with a lot of heat. the after-taste is of belgian malts and some grassyness. this isn't like any belgian IPA that i've had. it lacks a nice hops presence.

M-has a medium carbonation and a hot finish.

D-i just can't find the quality here. i couldn't finish the bottle. it had too much heat, even for a 9.5% beer. this isn't a good belgian or a good IPA. i won't be getting this one again. (706 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -22.9%

A: Slightly hazy golden body with a long-standing fluffy white head that leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S: It has a catty scent to it, with a sort-of funky musky horse blanket overtone. I wasn't expecting that funky smell.

T: It has good flavor. There's a bit of earthy root flavor at first, then some grain flavor comes through just a bit in the middle. A hint of mint in there as well, and it has a slighly off-putting soapy taste to it. I wouldn't say it is the most pleasant Belgo-IPA to drink, but it's not apologetic in its flavor. It puts every flavor forward whether you are ready for it or not. I think this beer is interesting enough to drink but it's not a combinaton of flavors that I would crave.

M: The mouthfeel is very good, sitting nicely in the mouth. At 9.5% the alcohol is unnoticeable, and the bitterness is fairly low despite being an IPA which works in the faovr of this beer which highlights flavor over brute bitterness.

O: This was a nice beer to drink with good hop flavor and high drinkablility. Fans of high-hop beers will enjoy the flavor, and those who aren't fans of over-the-top bitterness will enjoy its mellow presence. I don't think that there is anything escpecially fantastic about the beer so it puts it near middle-ground. Personally there was a soap-like aftertaste that made the drinking experience a bit unpleasant. The beer is at odds with itself, with many positives and a few negatives, but in the end it was a so-so beer. (1,474 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

A: Pale hazy yellow with a big white head. Good retention and lacings.

S: Peppery and somewhat floral hops, tobacco, fruity yeast and biscuity malts.

T: Gentle malty backbone, rather sweet. Peppery and floral hops. Citric notes. Notes of fruit and yeast. The finish is somewhat bitter with notes of grassy hops and a hint of alcohol.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation. Easy to drink.

D: A decent beer, no more. Didn't live up to the hype. (448 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

I'm not into this beer as most people are it might seem. This is a 2010 vintage.

Pours straw yellow and stays that way with tons of bubbles. Looks like yellow champagne with a big bone white head. I usually dont love beers that look like this.

The smell is dry and bready malts abound with banana, some yeast esters, some small fruity notes, and really no hops to me. A little faint, with some alcohol poking through later as it warms.

Taste is a little better than the smell with a bitter lemony finish that has an almost sour after taste. Some yeast, candied malt, banana, bread, and some grassy hops not as much as i hoped. Some alcohol sweetness thats ok. It's pretty carbonated as it looks, and not bad medium light feel.

Not a huge fan, pretty forgettable and WAY over priced IMHO. (792 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

A: Pours a clear straw yellow color. At first a two finger bubbly white head forms, and leaves some patchy lace behind as the foam gently recedes.
S: Raw hops, lightly citrus, lightly grassy. Peppery and musky yeast.
T: Very raw and rough for me. Husky, grassy hops. Doughy malts and some yeast. Not really digging this as much as I thought I was going to.
M/D: A medium body with a lot of prickly carbonation. Very dry as well. A bit of alcohol, but otherwise not hard to sip on.

This reminds me a lot of Boulevard's Imperial Pilsner Collaboration, and I was not really a huge fan of that either. Worth a try, especially for the Duvel fans. Though a bit of a let down for me. (678 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

Big, expensive bottle of 9.5% Duvel Triple Hop. Really light in color and I get slightly banana, citrus and booze in the nose. The front is...not much? Meager hops on the back end, with a residual dryness that tickles the sides of the tongue, while still leaving the tiniest sweetness (and I understand it sounds odd to say dryness combined with sweetness).

I hear great things, but I don't really know what there is to like about this beer. I would never drop the coin to get this again. Not a bad beer, but not one I'll be revisiting. (538 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

Live review. This is the 63rd review of this beer on BA. Poured from the corked, caged and gold foil topped bottle that I bought at World Wines & Liquor in Mentor, Ohio last week for $17.99. It came with a little booklet on the back of which is printed the following: Brewed on 18 May 2010. I have to admit that I was very excited to see this bottle in the bottle shop as I had seen an advertisement or maybe I read about it here on BA a while back and was curious. I have had regular Duvel and "Duvel Green" and I liked both of them. The bottle itself is very impressively presented. The gold writing, the small stuck on label that looks at first to be hand written and the gold foil (with "Tripel Hop" written on the foil) is all very well done! Alas, my admiration for the bottle and packaging will NOT be part of my review of the beer! Poured into my gold rimmed Brewery Ommegang Westveteren style goblet.

A Creamy, Meringue (whipped egg) like head over a slightly hazy, translucent straw yellow body with 10 or 12 strings of bubbles rising up from the bottom. Head sticks around for a while (I like that) and clings to the inside fo the glass nicely. Really good look, not unlike classic Duvel. 4.5

S Classic Belgian yeast earthy goodness with citrus notes but not a lot of hops bitterness to my nose. Regardless of the "aggressively hopped" indication on the top of the front label, the smell is of standard Duvel but I really like that smell so my rating will reflect that. 4.0

T I take a sip through the still present head of at least one inch some 4 minutes after pouring to experience the following: Sure enough, the taste extends right from the smell again. Strong citrus notes (lemony more than orange or anything else) with significant Belgian yeast earthiness. It is not until the late 1/3 of the taste that I perceive any hops bitterness and it is the variety that kind of just eases in. I am sure that my palate has been altered by American hammer-you-over-the-head with hops grapefruit bitterness but these hops are the subtle European type. That is not a criticism but a description. There is a strange kind of hollowness (cannot think of a better word right now) between the initial 1/3 of Belgian yeast and citrus bite and the slow onset hops. I don't recall that regular Duvel or even Duvel Green had that. I am not sure that I like that very much. It took me several sips to perceive that but repeated sips confirmed it. This is nothing if not an interesting beer. I will say that it is better than the average for the style but not much more than that. 3.5

M Kind of difficult to describe again but I will try. As stated above, 3 different "feels" to this beer.
1. Citrus bitterness and earthy Belgian yeasts
2. A kind of hollowness as the taste transitions from the above to the below.
3. Slooow onset hops bitterness that is "European" in nature
In my opinion, the feel and taste of this beer are closely related. Overall, I thought the feel was a bit thin. 3.0

D Well I just finished the 1 pint, 9.4 oz bottle and I am surprised to report that it actually was a bit of a struggle to finish it. I think that it was the citrus bitterness the elevated ABV and that slow onset (but moderate) hops bitterness that made it not so easy to drink. It took me 40 minutes to get to that last sip. 2.0

Notes: This was a challenging beer for me to rate. I love Duvel and I recall really enjoying Duvel Green. This fell short of my high expectations. I still really like the packaging for what it is worth! (3,526 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -18.2%

Bottle shared at tasting. Thanks!!
Pours a light golden color with the characteristic huge lasting white meringue like head. Smell is sweet fruity, and almost corn like maltiness with a faint twinge of hops. Taste is as expected and very original duvel like with a hopped edge to it. Still fairly sweet and grainy with a nice finishing hoppiness to it and a black peppery spiciness too. Nice. I definitely enjoyed this more than the standard Duvel. (449 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

Brewed on May 18, 2010. Poured into a goblet.

A: Pours a light hazy straw color with 2 fingers worth of a bright white fluffy head. Good retention with some light lacing. Carbonation coming off the bottom of the glass.

S: Nose is citrusy, almost like lemons, grassy notes with light yeast/earthy qualities. Very light pepper notes as well.

T: Hop bitterness up front, paired with some good spicing. Alcohol is evident, slight warming, but subsides after the second sip. Oxidation is present in my opinion, did not evolve with the little it cellared.

M: Light bodied, very small carbonation and a bit of an alcohol kick which cleanses the palate well.

Overall, I believe I need to review this brew fresh, the taste and mouthfeel felt off. I felt like I was drinking a strong saison. (790 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

Beautiful, beautiful bottle from beautiful Buffalo.

Gold body with a fluffy white head. Good retention and lace. Differs from regular Duvel in that it's got a cloudier appearance. Floral, steely nose, with underlying fruity sweet malts. Classic Duvel flavour with a twist. Fristly, some nice hops giving it a bit of a noble hop and juicy marmalade character. Secondly, way too much booze just wrecking it completely. Medium body and carb. Drinkability is hindered by the alcohol.

Neat to try, but certainly not an improvement on the original. This could have worked a lot better. (581 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours limpid, bright, and honey-hued into the Weyerbacher tulip. Nose is obscured at first by a rich, bright-white head, but an understated, lemony aroma eventually emerges. The abundant head retreats to a long-lasting island of foam, leaving substantial lace on the glass. The beer's taste is strong but indistinct--some citrus, an unnameable but satisfyingly bitter lingering note--more refined, perhaps, than Duvel's standard product, but not quite as engaging. Achouffe's Houblon Dobbelen also surpasses this one, but I'm glad I got to give it a try. (554 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

From 750mL bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 10/1/11
*From notes

A: Foggy yellow haze. Big and bright white head - at least 2.75 fingers - and top notch lacing. The retention is epic.

S: A bit like black licorice on the nose. Herbal. Faded hops. Man, I'm really wishing I'd attacked this one fresh.

T: Medicinal up front. As it moves back, there's a hoppy profile to it, and the Belgian yeast and golden malt round it out.

M: Wonderfully textured. I would expect nothing less from the folks at Duvel, and they don't dissapoint. This feels like a million bucks.

O: Duvel's Tripel Hop is one I'd like back - ie one I wish I'd consumed fresh off the shelf. I'll bet the hop profile on this was fantastic and, if ever brewed again, I'll be seeking this out. In the meantime, I'd highly recommend getting into this sooner then later, as the hops haven't held up well, and look to keep falling further and further into the abyss. (927 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

A: pale hazy blonde, thick frothy head that has amazing retention--it literally doesn't move. Champagne-like bubbles and good lacing.

S: tropical fruits--banana candy, mangoes, lemon zest, sweet yeast esthers.

T: sickly sweet juicy juice, sour citrus hops, yeast tastes a lot like champagne, extremely bitter finish, lots of alcohol.

M: sharp carbonation, so sharp that it gives the beer a sour champagne feel and taste, warm alcohol on the finish.

D: at $20 a bottle, I really expected more. It was just way too sour and bitter without the complexity necessary to make it interesting. That said, when it warmed up (and shook it's carbonation) it became sweeter and warming, but complexity of flavor just wasn't in the cards I guess. (737 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a corked 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Bottled on May 18th, 2010.

Slightly hazy golden yellow body with a big fluffy white head. Lots of Euro hop aroma, and an unfortunate slight skunk(it was sunny when I picked up the bottle). Hops are similarly bold in the taste. Once your tastebuds get past the hops you find the familiar Duvel spicy yeast and pale malts. Almost seems like an imperial pilsner. (420 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Look, I am not going to go deep into the ins and outs on this beer, I love Duvel, was not at all impressed with Duvel Green, and this beer is well made, but average especially considering the price.

The hop character was grassy and raw, and to me if you are going to go into a blend of tripel and hop aroma/flavor of an IPA it should be very fruity and have depth like Houblon Chouffe.

The alcohol I found to be uncharacteristically of the brewery harsh and rebounding the next day. The malt and yeast tones of classic Duvel are muted and cut by the hops in a way that is not complimentary. (592 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into the classic Duvel glass for review.

Appearance - a turbid yellow pour with cotton candy-like head.

Smell - ripe fruit, spice, a little pepper.

Taste - sweet honey followed by a touch of hoppy spice. The high(er) ABV% leaves you with a dry palate almost begging for another sip.

Mouthfeel - thin.

Drinkability - I wouldn't go out of my way for this one. It's Duvel, you're familiar with the brand/style, but "tripel hop" loses something in translation. I would have passed this up if I hadn't had a $2 off coupon. (529 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

(Served in a tulip glass)
bottle says 18 mei 2010

A- This beer has a hazy lemon yellow body supporting a snow white thick head with a gentle carbonation of microbubbles popping to the surface

S- The bitter green hops aroma has some field corn and yeasty ester notes in the finish that grows into a hair perm aroma but is not to offensive.

T- The assaulting green bitterness of the hops has some dandelion bitterness in the finish with a soft plastic note and a herbal bitter bite that lingers a bit. There is not much hop depth but as it opens there is some dried lemon qualities and a spicy note to the hops.

M- The light mouthfeel has a gentle fizz to the finish with no alcohol heat.

O- The harsh hop bitterness does mellow a bit as it opens or the alcohol kicks in with the fatigue of my taste buds? I wish I would have see what I think is the bottled on date before I bought it as I think it would have been much better fresh. There were some nice hop flavors but they were just to muted and overpowered by the hop bitterness to really enjoy. (1,054 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a cork/caged/wrapped 750ml with a brewed on date of May 18, 2010, into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Body is a pale amber color with a thick rocky white head. Carbonation bubbles are rushing from the bottom to the head. Very appealing looking beer.

S: Sort of chemically smelling with alcohol faint on the nose. Hints of fruit, citrus and sour apples.

T: Maltier than normal Duvel giving it a bready flavor up front alcohol hits the middle of the taste into a faint bitter hops flavor and some slight fruits.

M: Creamy with light fizzy carbonation.

O: Too unbalanced for my liking, the bottle suggests drinking before 2013 so I'm not sure how much better or worse this will get, but I won't be buying it again. I think this is a step-down from Duvel, it's maltier with a fuller flavor, but I don't like the flavor I'm tasting as much. (845 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

Purchased at the LCBO as a 4pk for $12.00. 330ml bottles. Served at 4deg C in a tulip glass

A- Opens well and pours a ton of white head that lasts. Unfiltered and very light

S- Pretty good. Lots of hops and malt

T- Whoa this one is a contradiction all the way. Can't help but get hit but the hops then bowled over by the malt. It's a heavy duty one two punch. Citrus abounds.

M- Dry as expected. Carbonated pretty hard

O- Pretty good but will not buy again. The piney hit of the citra hops just doesn't do it for me. Would really like to see these guys do a full DIPA.

Food Pairing

This weird little beer went well with... Spicey stir fry

Enjoy (653 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -13%

May 2010 edition

A- pours a hazy bright gold with a muffin head of white foam almost overtaking the glass. Carbonation and sediment floaties are completely absorbing the look of the brew contained in the glass

S- grassy lemony scent that tingles with the Belgian spicy yeast scent. Even a slight butter scent that really makes it enjoyable

T- same grassy note is partnered with the spicy belgian taste one would expect. Refreshing as you get the ending of an alcohol sting

M- crisp and tingling with the light flavor

O- A good Belgian ipa, but certainly not as
good as some American Belgian ipas I have had. Just didn't have the burst of Belgian yeast that heightens some properties of beers. Just my opinion given I love the homunculous, lil sumpin wild, monks revenge, etc of the world. Still, something to give a try (825 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -12.8%

330mL. 2012 Citra edition.

Crystal clear pale golden, as per regular Duvel, with a very anaemic head that collapses with scratchy lacing to nought.

Aromas clearly display Citra smashing in to Belgian yeast. Candied estery hop amalgams of melons, banana, pineapple candy, bubble-gum, and vegetal compost. The dankness of heavy hopping is evident, but the Belgian character is still prominent.

Flavours introduce a heavy graininess which competes with the fruity hop and esters character, but also adds a rustic element which prevents it from becoming cloying.

Medium body, although unexpectedly light for 9.5%, with slightly spritzy carbonation. Finish is typically dry, tart and slightly bitter (for the style).

While not an improvement on regular Duvel, the potential for this to turn out weird and ungainly would have been high, yet there is very little to fault here and plenty to like. The assertiveness of Citra stands up very well alongside the house yeast. (971 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

Got this at the Mitra down the road. Drank this one right after the regular version for comparative purposes.

From a bottle into a La Chouffe glass
Vintage: 2012
Best Before December 2014
Dry hopped with Citra

APPEARANCE: Same as the regular beer. Pours a huge, four finger, loose looking, fluffy, bright white head with good retention. Slightly hazy, straw yellow in color with medium levels of carbonation. Head fades to a foam cap and leaves some chunky lacing down the sides of the glass. A good wisp remains and leaves some nice lacing the whole way. Head is a little thin for me, but this is good looking and fits the style.

SMELL: Lots of citra on the nose. Piles of hops really. Honeydew melon, grapefruit, pineapple and light pine notes. A touch of yeasty spices in there, but this is more hops than anything. The original Duvel has all but been eliminated.

TASTE: Hops aren't as dominant here as in the nose; the original Duvel is still the boss here. Pale malts, green fruits, apples and pears, and some spicy yeast notes. Some grapefruit and a touch of pine from the citra, but this is still very floral and spicy at the finish. Bold aftertaste is spicy, yeasty and alcoholic, much like the original Duvel, but there is a light touch of grapefruit in there as well. A very nice mix.

PALATE: Same as the regular Duvel, which makes things difficult for me. Thinner body and high levels of carbonation. Bubbly and light on the palate, goes down quite airy and finishes slightly dry on the palate. I understand this is the style, but this is too thin, bubbly and airy for my palate. Others in the style have agreed with me more.

OVERALL: This is a fun beer that I was glad to try. The nose is much different than the original Duvel, and since the taste isn't as far off, the nose and flavor don't seem to match. Furthermore, while this was a flavorful and interesting beer, like the regular version, the thin, light and airy palate makes this one a chore. I actually gave up on it half way through. That said, this is a quality beer that many will enjoy more than I do. If you like Duvel and are a fan of citra, this fits the bill. (2,151 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.1%

I have had Duvel once. I was a bit buzzed, it poured more head than I ever needed, and to be blunt I was about as impressed at a 10 year old getting a sweater for Christmas.

Pours much like that Duvel I had before, a HUGE head even with a gentle pour. That head isn't going anywhere. How do the Belgium's or why do they always do this? The head is as thick as any I've ever seen and well, you have to give props. The body is a light straw or light golden color with yeast clearly in the glass and an explosive amount of carbonation shooting up the middle. The lacing, the head retention, the body....wow I hate to say this but for a golden near urine colored beer there is simply no way to do it better or have a rival.

The nose is a boring Belgium beer. Some candy, some hops, some yeast and some spices. That said served in a Delirium glass and it isn't doing much for me in the nose category. Warmer and the nose is really starts to come out. Citrus lemon and orange. Grapefruit hops and some earthy aromas as well. Still a sweet candy malt to finish it.

Drinking this beer the problems with a Belgium are greatly missed. The spicy flavors are subtle in their presence. The lack of malt isn't a problem. The clean finish is wonderful. It comes off as a grape fruit opening and a pear finish though. It's certainly a different experience to say the least. It finishes with a citrus almost lemon but almost orange bitterness. The hops are all over the place. Grape fruit and earth spices are the most noticeable. This is truly fascinating to experience as it warms. The bottom line here is the flavor isn't for me, but it is so close! It's too citrus and lacks the hops and or malt to make it work for me. But wow....it is CLOSE and an absolute must try experience. I have to score this weak because of personal taste but for those who enjoy what's going on here, this may be a legit 5 with many.

The carbonation is plenty. It finishes dry. It has enough body to linger in your glass. At 20 bucks a bottle I want to sip and enjoy a beer. This one's body and mouth feel demand that of the consumer!

The bitter citrus flavors oddly are not my thing. I've never had this issue with any beer. Weird. That said I haven't had any issue drinking it. Cold this thing would be gone in 5 minutes on a hot day.

Bottom line is this is a wonderful belgium and a blah american beer. I didn't expect much from this beer but I wanted to see what they could do with american hops. This beer is an experience I won't forget and that say something even if the ultimate flavors are a bit off putting and the beer isn't my style. Truly must recommend this beer to all who even remotely are interested. (2,692 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

750ml foil finished corked and caged bottle served in my Duvel goblet at 50 degrees. 11/04/13 printed on the neck; brewed on 18 May 2010 indicated in the accompanying booklet. Pours a golden hue with a semi-hazy clarity and a rocky, two inch, bright white head. Clusters of tiny bubbles coat the edges of the bowl below the cap and slowly effervesce in solution. Textured clumps of lacing adhere to the walls of the glass during the tasting. Nose expresses citrus rind, a pleasant yeasty presence, a trace of alcohol and perhaps a kiss of floral hops. Taste expresses citrus rind, citric acid and a strange chemical quality - the hops don't really pop for me in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with an assertive, almost prickly carbonation. Citric astringency lingers along the salivary glands and there is just a trace of residual heat at the finish. All and all, I have to say that I prefer the original to this variation. I don't get much hops complexity here, just a great deal of acidity. Not sure if having this fresh would make a difference on my overall impression, so I might need to re-vist this brew if the opportunity presents. (1,161 characters)

Duvel Tripel Hop from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV