Duvel Tripel Hop - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Tripel HopDuvel Tripel Hop

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ggaughan on 12-17-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Tripel Hop Alström Bros
4000qtrap

Missouri

Source/serving: 750mL bottle

S: Fresh, crisp minty-lemon; Ssian fresh fruit market: unexpected fruit character but not unfamiliar; golden pear-apple; lemon zest and a wiff of Limocello; juicy tangerine. Bright, light, and fresh citrus with an edge of fresh cut grass. Very pleasant.

T: Lemon oil with a hint of general citrus character mix with semi-dry, fruity, complex yeast esters. Grains are barely present with a light straw character. Middle is semi-dry with more complex citrus fruits (lemon, pear, apple predominantly) and a touch of spiciness. Classic Duvel here without too much hop interference. As expected its not bitter and the unnoticeable hand of alcohol plays a key role in balancing the malts. Finish is semi-dry, lemon/pear essential oils with a lingering light, fresh cut herbaceousness and the first appearance of spicy alcohol. Carbonation is perky and accentuates the lemon but doesn't get in the way. Quite warming, as expected for 9.5% ABV.

Notes: Very nice and delicate asian fruit character overlaid over the classic Duvel backbone. A deft touch makes this different but familiar. May favorite Belgian IPA to this point. However, at a practical level, given its much higher price point I'm not convinced I wouldn't take just a few bottle of the usual stuff for one of these.

05-24-2011 04:08:48 | More by 4000qtrap
Chico1985

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

750ml generously split by cbutova. Poured into twin Duvel tulips, prop-ah!

Pours a beautiful hazy peach-like color. Small clumpy white head leaves webby lacing only Duvel could pull off. Not as towering and persistent as regular and draft but impressive nonetheless.

Hops, light fruits, pilsner malt. A tad bit of funky tartness. Overall notes of lemon, citrus, grass, floral.

Upon first sip I can already tell this kills the original in my mind. The extra hops/dry-hopping are so well done. Peaches, floral notes, citrus, baked bread, Belgian yeast, pilsner malts, pears. Delivers as advertised without being over the top, completely well-balanced. Taste is damn close to a 5, not sure what the beer could gain/lose to make it that way though.

Pretty high on the carbonation, but good mouthfeel, the balance alone makes it deserve a 4.5. Booze is pretty well-hidden, definitely moreso than the original from what I remember.

Forgive my Americanized taste buds, but this is such a good beer. Pretty much a Belgian IPA done right, not messy. $20 for a 750 is a stretch, but I will have to buy this again in the future, if I get excellent results again I might have to change taste to a 5.

10-02-2010 14:54:02 | More by Chico1985
rajendra82

Georgia

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

The brown colored, corked and caged bomber, with the gold neck foil, and the special edition informative booklet tied to the neck, made for an attractive presentation. While the external packaging was markedly different, the beer itself looked almost exactly like the regular Duvel; with a pale, golden amber body; a large head, sticking above the rim of the Duvel tulip glass; and steady streams of carbonation in the liquid below; in other words, perfect as usual. The smell was a bit more like a Saison than normal Duvel, with a spicy, funky edge to it. The experience of the smell carried forth into the taste, and I could detect white peppercorns, orange peel, coriander, and lemon zest. The body was airy and light as usual, and the lively carbonation made the beer feel extra creamy. This is pretty much the same Duvel we all love, but with an extra kick given by the hops. The dry hopping adds to the experience, but the underlying original character still shines through.

04-10-2011 03:14:34 | More by rajendra82
prototypic

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Tripel Hop is pale gold in color. It's slightly hazy, and looks almost yellow-ish when held to light. A soft, bone white crown covers the top. It stands over two fingers tall, and is extremely slow to dissipate. Lacing was thick and quite sticky. Impressive.

The nose is damn fine. Hops are very strong in the mix. Much moreso than I expected. They smell like noble hops, though I'm not sure of the exact profile. They're grassy and floral throughout. Light spicy notes of pepper and light coriander are noted. Interesting. Belgian yeast is easily noted. It adds quality depth and smells delicious. There's a bit of sweet malt that lingers throughout. Alcohol is blended well for approaching double digits. Mmmm. Smells absolutely delicious.

The flavor delivers every bit as much as the nose. It starts out with a light, sweet malty flavor. It's not a bad base at all, and provides a sturdy platform for the hop theatrics. The hops are mostly certainly noble in character. They're very grassy, floral, and a little herbal. Belgian yeast is very prominent and blends extremely well with the hops. Light pepper, coriander, and very faint clove mesh well with apple and pear flavors at the secondary level. The overall flavor is very deep, complex, and satisfying. Alcohol is damn near buried. Surprisingly, I'm not getting much at all. Finishes sweet, hoppy, and Belgian yeasty! Excellent!

Tripel Hop has a light-medium body that feels nice. Carbonation is active, but the bubbles feel very light. It's nice and smooth overall. Drinkability is very high. This is an incredibly tasty Belgian IPA that goes down so light and easy, especially given its size.

I had absolutely no doubt that Tripel Hop would be tremendous beer. When you're starting with Duvel, how can you go wrong? Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat did a fantastic job. If you're into Belgian IPAs, you really should give Tripel Hop a look. I understand the price tag is a little discouraging, but it's well worth it...at least once.

02-05-2011 03:06:48 | More by prototypic
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

750 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Saaz, Styrian Golding, and Amarillo hops, Styrian Golding dry-hopped, 9.5% ABV, 18 mei 2010 (bottled) Best before 18 mei 2013.

A - Gun smoke rises from the bottle post cork-pop. A massive plume of carbonation is entrancing in the lightly hazy pale yellow beer. A frothy, firm white head doesn't hesitate to rise quickly. It does, however, lower very, very slowly while leaving sheet after sheet of thick, classic, Belgian yeast.

S - A hint of skunkiness scared me at first until I realized it's a big, big nose of floral hops with very skunk-like hints (definitely not skunked though). Big citrus too. The hops smell as fresh as the last of my Chinook I plucked today actually! (yeah, I washed my hands) Lemon citrus and hints of clay erupt from the fascinatingly complex Belgian yeast strain and light bits of straw come through as well. Pale malts reside in the back and don't add much.

T - The plethora of hops electrifies right away with a distinctively American resin and citrus profile. That changes throughout, eventually ending up with a strong Belgian yeast profile. Lots of nuances can be found ranging from earthy clay to white pepper to lemon citrus. Maltiness isn't really present but it remains very well balanced none-the-less.

M - Extremely carbonated, a few sips of Duvel Tripel Hop leaves me bloated and belching up hops. It's a light to medium-bodied mouthfeel with a sharp tickle on the tongue and in the throat. Mild dry bitterness graces the palate on the finish. Alcohol is only experienced on a retro-nasal breath.

D - I opened this by myself (sorry Todd -see below) with the plan on finishing it while I get stuff done around the house tonight. It's very drinkable and not overly done in any regard. I may have to get a few more of these...

09-22-2010 23:48:26 | More by BeerFMAndy
RuudJH

Netherlands

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Recommended to me by my local beer supplier. I haven't tried this yet, am very curious.
'2012 selection dry hopped with citra'

Big head, pale golden beer with good carbonation.
Very fresh smell of citrus, lemongrass and peel and also pine.
Taste is powerfull and bitter, also some sweetness. Aftertaste is powerfull, but slightly harsh. The alcohol is well masked for sure.

All in all, this is a beer I'm glad I encountered. I've had a good deal of regular duvels, but this one is more interesting. Fuller flavoured and tougher.

07-06-2012 11:07:50 | More by RuudJH
CHickman

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours hazy straw yellow in color with a massive 2 finger foamy white head that faded slowly and left good foamy spotty lacing; pours very nicely out of the bottle and settles quite slowly.

Smells of sweet fruit, caramel, sweet malt, banana, citrus hops, floral hops, flowers, bubblegum, funky yeast, coriander, wet bread, some light grains, fruits like apple, pear, pepper and cardboard; really nice zesty nose that is soft and complex with just enough hops to level out the aroma; each whiff leads the way to a delicious sip.

Tastes of sweet malt, caramel, yeast, citrus hops, lemon, floral hops, flowers, bubblegum, coriander, wet bread, light grains, clove, banana, sour apple, pear, brown sugar, grapefruit, pepper and some light spices that trail off airy and sweet, with a semi-dry finish; very complex with lots of fruity complexities and malt sweetness. The hops are mild and add basic spices that make this pop with a crisp zest.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp and airy, with light carbonation, a light body and a tart finish that trails off with a sweetness that coats the tongue. This ends crisp, clean and bitter with just a nice flavor lingering.

This was an excellent beer that went down real easy and lived up to the hype. A high recommendation. The only knock on this beer is that it is very expensive, but if you can spring for it then you will definitely enjoy it.

05-14-2011 04:05:54 | More by CHickman
gabedivision

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle to a Duvel tulip glass.

A- Rich golden color with a cloudy haze, and a big foamy head that reaches all the way to the top of the glass.

S- Delicious smell of classic Duvel golden mixed with hops, makes a citrusy-yeast that is floral and spicy on the nose.

T- Sweet malt, strong Belgian yeast and bitter hops making for a lemon zest touch on the tongue. Tends bitter and ends sweet.

M- Light to medium bodied, lots of good carb. Bitter and sweet with lots of exciting flavors.

D- Awesome. The high alcohol is almost invisible on this one the flavors over power the 9.5%. All of the flavors are well put together.This is a treat for sure.

03-11-2011 19:12:15 | More by gabedivision
Sideswipe

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Corked and caged bottle poured into my Delerium tulip. A mild pour results in a one inch cap of beautiful, rocky white foam. As it recedes it leaves a sticky mosaic that I hesitate to call lacing. It's just too thick to be "lacing". Very nice. The beer is a hazy golden color. The nose is distinctly Belgian. The signature yeast is augmented with notes of pear, grass, lemon rind and orange. The taste is bitter hops elegantly balanced by a sweet malt backbone. Pear, and lemon predominate, with white pepper making a guest appearance. An excellent level of initial hop bitterness that somehow smooths out mid palate and finishes mildly bitter and spicy. Refreshing. This beer gets better as it warms. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, but carbonation is appropriate. Drinkability is crazy good! I can detect nary a trace of the purported 9.5% ABV. This is a truly enjoyable beer, a bit pricey, but good.

01-29-2011 07:53:45 | More by Sideswipe
robhunta

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

A - A nice clean crisp yellow with 2 fingers of of head. At first pour the head seemed a bit fizzy, with large bubbles that looked like they would disappear quickly. However, it morphed into a thick fluffy head that sticks around. quite beautiful.

S - nice floral hop aroma with a hint of belgian yeast.

T - this beer opens and finishes with bitter hops. thats not too say it overly bitter, just a good flavor. Also has the classic belgian yeast flavor.

M - clean and crisp.

O - a great beer.

12-02-2011 23:19:25 | More by robhunta
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

750ml corked, caged, foiled, and boxed bottle dumped into the matching tulip 23/10/11

A a bright glowing yellow with the tornado of bubbles barfing off the bottom, foam starts off large and slowly falls to a brain like looking island never really letting the liquid see air, lacing is hard too miss

S lots of Belgian yeast with some big notes of spicy, grassy, and floral hops and citric hops too boot and this bottle has a 18 months on it, pretty impressive

T even more fruit with a slight pine aspect on top of what I smell with zero booze

M a little foamy but that my only complaint about this beer

O great stuff that's going too kick my ass any second now

now the 30$ question... it's a big price tag and a fancy box but I doubt I'd buy another at that price. great beer but with such stuffed shelves here in Alberta you can get lots of quality liquid for thirty beans

10-24-2011 00:28:14 | More by wordemupg
DoubleJ

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

This was a surprise. Perhaps I was more surprised to see this Brazil than I was to be offered a healthy glass of it while I was at Belgian Beer Paradise in São Paulo. Consumed and enjoyed in the company of Xavier Depuydt, on to the beer:

Insert the classic Duvel look here. Its head is very large and billowy, retenting extremely well on top, lots of lace, and a light golden colored body. It´s not quite classic in the aroma, but with little question is an excellent one. It´s on the grassy side, with little, exciting sweet sugary notes and apricot.

The label says Tripel Hop, however don´t expect an overdose of hops. Expect a well balanced, smooth, and easy to drink strong ale with a good amount of grassy hops that aren´t over the top, and an excellent base of malt and assorted fruits.

While I´ve hesistated to pull the trigger on a $20 bottle in the US, it´s easy for me conclude that Duvel Tripel Hop is delicious nectar. With a large dose in my system, will that break my hesitant ways of putting down the $ for a bottle to call my own?

02-22-2012 00:36:05 | More by DoubleJ
Gueuzedude

Arizona

Brewed August 2007, Best By June 2010; Sampled November 2008
A careful pour into my 25cl tulip glass easily produces five fingers of head (including a full fat finger above the rim of the glass); the head is a pale, just off-white color and forms an impressive structural surface / mesa and lots of Belgian lace patterns as it slowly subsides. The beer is a nice gold color that shows a bright, yellow-gold color when held up to the light and shows a mad frenzy of carbonation. The aroma smells of lemon zest, touches of apricot, cracker-like grain, notes of black pepper, pink ginger, clove, a touch of pear, honey-like malt and a solid backdrop of tropical fruit notes that seem to have faded over time, but still have a commanding presence in the nose. I have a feeling that a lot more of the base beer comes through in the aroma now, and I definitely like that. This is far more aromatic than the regular version of Duvel; at least in volume, I like regular Duvel for its soft, yet deep complexity, but this is also really nice (plus I am a sucker for Amarillo).

The beer flavor still has lots of Amarillo signature to it; up front flavors of peach, lychee and candied kumquat. The beer finishes with spicy phenolics and a spicy alcohol warming as well a nice, though soft, clean bitterness. Clove, a ginger heat and a turpene driven light palate numbing show a nice, yeast derived phenolic character towards the finish blends in quite well with the up front hop character.. The carbonation died down considerably as I was enjoying the aroma, but still has a prickly tickle to it as well as providing a bit of a carbonic bite. The body of this beer stands up quite well to the carbonation though, it definitely has a touch of heft to it, though in true form it is quite an easy beer to quaff faster than is safe. My second pour only nets me a half finger of beer, while the rest is foam. The spicy & phenolic notes seem to get a bit more prominent as I work my way through this bottle; it actually starts to get quite spicy in the finish. My third pour has me learning a bit and I end up with only a bit more head than beer in my glass.

I can't tell you how happy I am that the Amarillo character is still pretty apparent; that definitely had me a bit worried. I am sure the hop character has faded a bit, but it is still quite nice. I am not sure I have ever had a beer that is more prone to leaving structural sculptures of foam (a product of the foam positive character of hops and the high carbonation of Duvel), it is quite interesting and visually you really can't quite ask for more. It is always a good sign when I have a hard time not finishing off a 750ml bottle of strong beer by myself.

11-28-2008 16:08:20 | More by Gueuzedude
billshmeinke

Poured into Duvel tulip.

Looks phenomenal. Just like regular Duvel.

Smells of yeast and rustic bread. Tons of spicy clove like phenols. Some green apples. Leafy/earthy and flowery hop aromas, and a hint of pineapple. Off to a great start.

All the goodness of standard Duvel with a punch of flowery/leafy/earthy hops, and a lasting resinous aftertaste.

Fluffy, crisp, effervescent and fairly dry. This is even a bit more dry than regular Duvel.

A nice hoppy version of Duvel. Not buying again though, due to the price.

11-23-2010 20:43:06 | More by billshmeinke
SkeeterHawk

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

I picked this beer up today at the downtown Specs. I figure that this beer is better tried fresh than letting it cellar, so I am trying it the same day. I am a pretty big fan of the original Duvel, though I don't drink it as often as I would like. Here we go with the "amped up" version. Pouring this into my old faithful Duvel glass as that is my favorite shaped glass.

Appearance: Pours beautiful as ever. Clear pale yellow color wiht a huge pillowey white head that rises out of the glass after the pour. There is a solid 3" of head in my glass after a super careful pour. After drinking there are continents of lace about the glass, and the beer settles to a little lump of creamy foam that looks like whipped cream on a latte or some $hit. It is a VERY well presented beer and I seriously don't know how they could improve on this.

Aroma: I could start picking up the aroma from a foot away when I was pouring it. It was already giving off strong citrus. Through the thick foam, you can pick up the spicy Saaz hops cleanly and the American variety is also distinct. Among that, I can pick up a whole bunch of wheat malt adding a defined bready backbone. A very hop accentuated but nicely blended aroma overall.

Taste: The flavor is led by the hops as they have stated, but there is a substantial beer there to back them up. The balance is tipped moderately toward the bitter, but there is spice coming from the alcohol that is also big player in the finish. There is a little bit of sweetness that is coming across to me as much like the toasty notes from Munich malt, but they are very clean and refined. he beer overall is in between light and medium bodied with tons of carbonation so that the beer sails across your palate and goes from flavor to finish in no time. I have to "tag" it a little on drinkability as it is obviously high in alcohol and the carbonation is high, so both of those slow you down...but with this beer, that is a good thing.

Opinion: This is a really good beer. I am going to hate to see this one end. I am really enjoying the overall presentation and the interplay between the hops and malt. I wish that this beer would keep in its current state, but I am sure that it won't so I guess I am stuck buying and drinking a couple more of these soon as this beer is too good to pass up. Buy it now...just save some for me. ;-)

02-19-2011 04:00:58 | More by SkeeterHawk
jdense

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

750 cl bottle purloined at Belmont Station PDX eight bucks score, 2010 vintage, poured into Duvel tulip.

Archetypical Duvel head, big and billowing, slow dissipation, exquisite lacing over clear light gold body with multiple streams of quick rising bubbles, IMO one of the world' best looking beers. Aroma is much more hoppy than base beer, spicy and a bit grassy, light malt notes for balance. Taste is a revelation two years after bottling, still maintains an aggressive hop attack, spicy, some sweetish malts balance. Mouthfeel is just on light side of medium, excellent effervescence, tingly mouthfeel, relatively dry finish. In retrospect I wish I'd have grabbed more bottles of this at this unheard-of price, this appears to be a hoppy beer that can stand up to several years of aging. Not sure I'd lay down 20 bucks for this, but due to Carl and Chris this had to be one of the best beer values of 2012.

05-04-2012 14:11:41 | More by jdense
lsummers

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours like a traditional Duvel. Fairly clear straw yellow with a fluffy two finger white head.

Smells of citric pineapple and grassy hop notes right away. A touch of malty sweetness.

Taste is that traditional Duvel Golden Belgian Pale malty peppery herbal sweetness with a great citric fruity hop note. The peppery hop notes add a ton of flavor to the original recipe.

Mouthfeel is crisp, slightly viscous and highly carbonated. Still very drinkable.

Overall, just a fantastic change of pace and one I will seek out again.

05-25-2013 04:30:30 | More by lsummers
ggaughan

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Sampled this beer at the Kerstbierfestival in Essen, Belgium this past weekend.

I had this as my first beer and I was the first person to sample it at the fest as they opened up the bottle fresh when I requested the beer. The beer comes in a nice classy triangle type box and the bottle itself is 750ml and wrapped in gold foil. Upon opening the bottle we were greated by the trademark Duvel smell but it was a bit more citrusy. The beer poured a pale yellow, cloudy color into the glass with a massive rush of bubbles in the glass. The head was massive. It was like a fluffy snow storm unloaded on the top of my glass. The head just kep growing and at one point was was 2 inches over the lip of my glass.

The nose of this beer is a bit more citrus than regular Duvel. The taste has alot of the trademark Duvel qualities but is actually bit more mellow and less "hot" to taste. With less carbonation in the taste, you get a slightly sweeter taste and a nice hop backbone but this is not a hop bomb by any means. The three hops are a nice addition to this fine beer.

It sounds like this beer was mainly limited to Belgian supermarkets so I am not sure if it will make it to the U.S. but if it does, be sure to check it out.

12-17-2007 20:11:14 | More by ggaughan
GreesyFizeek

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

22 oz fancy bottle purchased by my girlfriend for one of our anniversaries. Poured into my Southern Tier tulip.

Sort of golden, creamy, yellow pour. Huge head, about 4-5 inches. Very sticky beer, clearly, as the lacing is incredible.

Smells herbal, yeasty, and slightly fruity.

A taste explosion. Belgian yeast gives it a fruity pear flavor, mixed with pineapple, clove, and grass. Very floral. A bit chalky at the end but it's not a problem.

Medium bodied, well carbonated.

Awesome variant on Duvel. Thanks Joelle!

03-06-2013 00:34:13 | More by GreesyFizeek
GJ40

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Sampled from a 750 ml bottle purchased at The Beer Dispensary in Apex, NC.

A - Pale yellow with the slightest haze, a big white head and a constant barrage of fine bubbles rising from the glass.

S - Black pepper, clove and banana.

T - Spicy and crisp like the regular Duvel but the additional hops give it a very different finish. Rather than the usual spicy finish, this one is lighter and more varied with both bitterness and flavor from the three hops. The American Amarillo hops don't stand out but they are noticeable. It's quite dry and the 9.5% alcohol remains well hidden.

M - Light in feel with a high carbonation (especially at first). Very much like a champagne.

D - Very flavorful yet smooth and warming. It took half a glass to adjust my palate but from then on I was hooked. This is a great beer.

01-08-2011 22:40:03 | More by GJ40
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.

A - Pours a nice pale golden straw color with a great fluffy and pillowy pure white head. It is very dense and inviting with great head retention.

S - Basic BPA aromas. Phenols and funk along with some great clove and nice grape and lemon tartness. This is where it gets good. There is an awesome grassy and piney hop note on the back end of the aroma with some slight citrus hints as well. Aromatically this is a nicely hopped beer.

T & M - Starts off with nice earthy and bready grain. Then this is followed by some nice fruit juice sweetness and apple tartness. This is where the nice yeasty funk comes in. The hop notes are also present but not as intensely as in the nose. They do give a very nice rounded out taste to the beer with nice grassy and slightly fresh pine notes all through the drink. Mouthfeel is fluffy and crisp with nice clean flavors and dry notes as expected.

D - Drinkability is good. They stick with the original recipe and just up the hops. Good idea in my book. ABV on the higher side but not too noticeable in terms of flavor.

11-11-2010 02:46:39 | More by JoEBoBpr
drabmuh

Maryland

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

I missed the launch party at Churchkey for this beer but really wanted to try it. IMO, the bottles of this beer are outrageously overpriced. I was happy I found one for 20$ and split it with the other Matt and our wives. I would get this beer again if it were in the 10 - 15$ range for a big bottle like this other beer I know, its called DUVEL. Otherwise, it was a good beer and a nice novelty.

Beer is yellow with a slight haze, an annoyingly huge head that slowly collapses leaving a ton of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to high. Looks like a Duvel, that is to say it looks good.

Aroma is nice! Its got this floral, fruity, mildly citrus, spice to it. The amarillo and saaz hops are coming through nicely.

This is a very nice beer, light in body, effervescent in the palate, hoppy in the midpalate, bready and yeasty with some minimal malt sweetness at the front with a bittering but not dry finish. I really enjoyed this beer.

10-14-2010 14:31:37 | More by drabmuh
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Tripel Hop pours a golden color with a small head. The aroma has a dry grape like flavor, much like a champagne; very bold. The taste is very dry noticeable hop, but a dry white grape flavor, again like a champagne. Very drinkable, very nice feel, and nice dry flavors. Overall its a very nice and fine drinking beer.

01-01-2014 01:41:41 | More by vette2006c5r
meeekyh

Colorado

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Duvel has not yet made it onto my list of reviews. I have had it and enjoyed it too on more than one occasion. This was on the shelf at a local and I grabbed it.

Brewed 18 May, 2010 and, though I didn't notice it before, I suppose drinking it now is a good plan.

Fin Du Monde glass as a receptacle. A pretty pale golden beer with a lofty white head. The beer is not entirely clear but it is nice looking and not 'cloudy'. Lacing is high and tight. I really like beers that use pale malts, this is a great example.

The nose is floral and very enticing. I get lavender and notes of pear with a hint of vanilla. A bit of pepper and alcohol are present too but tardy and not the stars of the show.

The taste is joy, ambrosia, nectar. OK, I know not what those things taste like but I imagine at least one of them must be neigh-on this. Sweetness is slight, bitterness is aggressive but short-lived and replaced by tartness and then returns for the finish. Citrus is a lead flavor, grapefruit peel and lemon juice in turn with a tiny bit of coriander, though I doubt the spice is actually present, it is an essence of the tart/bitter flavor that I associate with coriander. The grain bill is awesome. I really wish I knew what was used as the sweetness and body are dead-on and exactly what the hops need to shine. I am smitten.

The body is on the light side of medium and carbonation is high (like I like it!) with a bitter and dry finish that is really just conducive to drinking more, right now.

This is a winner, despite the $13+ price tag. I would share this with friends as soon as a Houblon Chouffe or a Hop-It, maybe sooner as the balance is superior. This is a fine ale to be searched out, though I will mention that the cork had a bit of funk on the outside tip, as a 'corked' wine might.

As not to finish on a down note I will add that this is the best and most complex beer I have had in a while, full of tartness. bitterness and the vast experience only a world-class brewery can bring.

Slainte!

04-01-2011 03:41:25 | More by meeekyh
steelerguy

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

A - Light golden straw color, very clear, highly carbonated. Nice head, very white, a bit rocky and maintained by all that carbonation.

S - Grassy, phenols give a spiciness, and a citric sweetness.

T - Light malts, slight grassiness carries over from the aroma. Lots of spiciness from the phenols made by the yeast. A bit of sweetness in the middle, hints of pear, followed by increasing bitterness. Finishes very dry, sweetness is gone, and end with a pronounced alcohol flavor.

M - Is it possible for a beer to have a complex mouthfeel? I think this one does! Starts off cool, immediately progressing into a tingle from all the carbonation as you swallow, and then progressing into a nice warmth from the alcohol, yet managing to finish very clean.

D - Extremely refreshing, the bitterness helps balance the high ABV, the carbonation and spiciness help it to finish dry with a pleasant aftertaste and warmth. Very nice.

01-09-2011 00:26:54 | More by steelerguy