Duvel Tripel Hop - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Tripel HopDuvel Tripel Hop

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: ggaughan on 12-17-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Tripel Hop Alström Bros
firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last
4.21/5  rDev -0.5%

Out of a 750ml corked, caged, and foiled bottle. Pours a hazy golden straw color with a fantastically huge pillowy, meringue, pure white head that sloooowly settles, leaving hunks of lacing everywhere. Primo. The aroma has a nice peppery belgian yeast kick to go along with some green apple, grassy hop, and some fusel alcohol. The taste is of a green apple tartness, clovey and peppery yeast, candi sugar, and hints of grassy and limey hops, more of a european hop profile. There is a nice fruity flavor in the finish. Must say the hops don't really standout. The body is light to moderate with very fizzy carbonation; sweet and spicy throughout with some noticable ABV. This is a very tasty BSPA, very similar to their flagship brew. The ABV is a tad noticable and I wish the hops would be a little stronger but this is very good. (832 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Probably need to have my head examined for paying $20 plus for a 750 ml of this at State Line the other day.

The beer pours a rich, solid gold color with impressive, pillowy head... the beer also shows excellent retention and considerable sticky lacing all around. The nose is likewise impressive, and is probably where this beer shows the greatest difference between the regular duvel bottle version. There is considerable tropical fruit and honey, but it's more than compensated for by the white and black pepper, as well as the spicey sandlewood. The flavor profile replicates the nose on a somewhat lean flavor platform. There is considerable bitterness in the finish (as one would expect), and the finish is definitely on the dry side. Mouthfeel is medium bodied at most, and is actually a bit thin (which I think is fine for the style). Drinkability is quite good, and it's hard to believe this beer has an abv. of 9.5%.

A nice enough beer, no doubt.... but it really isn't all that different from the regular duvel, except for the price. Doubt I want to pay the freight for this beer again. (1,100 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

The elusive Duvel Tripel Hop, a beer I hunted to no avail in 2007. Thankfully it's been brewed again, May 18 2010, and I found it for $17.99 at Rozi's in Cleveland. I snatched it up immediately despite the cost, I'd kick myself later if I didn't. Besides, it's only 2x the cost of standard Duvel, and should be a worthwhile treat.

The bottle comes with a small booklet describing the three hops used in this special edition (Amarillo in addition to the Saaz and Styrian Golding used in classic Duvel). It doesn't state this explicitly, but I suspect this is standard Duvel that is simply dry hopped with Amarillo. At least that seems the likeliest scenario.

The beer pours with a perfect head, looking like standard Duvel to my eyes. Clear golden color, SRM of about 3, with a huge pillowy dry foam and tons of lacing.

It has the distinctive Duvel aroma, plus a little additional hoppiness (go figure). The extra hops seem more floral and less spicy than I usually get from Amarillo, so maybe this was dry hopped with more than just that hop.

It tastes nice but a little hot. The alcohol is more noticeable than in usual Duvel, at least based on memory of the last time I'd had it. The hops have a "Belgian" feel to them, not as strong as a Belgian IPA but definitely more present than in the average Belgian SPA. Some moderate bitterness in the aftertaste, and a lingering ethanol burn.

The body is on the thicker side for the style but still matches the flavors OK. Drinkability is kept in check mainly by the apparent ABV, you know this is gonna hit you when you're sipping it. (1,586 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Obtained at the Churchkey in Washington DC at one of their fantastic glass giveaways.
A: Nice golden color with a fantastic head that sticks to the rim of the glass.
S: Nice notes of malt and hops that blend really well. Very balanced aroma.
T: Nice bitter hop flavor that finishes with a fruity hop flavor. Very complex and balanced Nothing overpowers but everything works together to make a pleasant flavor.
D/M: Great carbonation that Duvel is known for. Tickles the tongue and really lets you experience the hops. Doesn't come off as alcoholic but packs a punch. Really happy that I was able to try this. (608 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml generously split by cbutova. Poured into twin Duvel tulips, prop-ah!

Pours a beautiful hazy peach-like color. Small clumpy white head leaves webby lacing only Duvel could pull off. Not as towering and persistent as regular and draft but impressive nonetheless.

Hops, light fruits, pilsner malt. A tad bit of funky tartness. Overall notes of lemon, citrus, grass, floral.

Upon first sip I can already tell this kills the original in my mind. The extra hops/dry-hopping are so well done. Peaches, floral notes, citrus, baked bread, Belgian yeast, pilsner malts, pears. Delivers as advertised without being over the top, completely well-balanced. Taste is damn close to a 5, not sure what the beer could gain/lose to make it that way though.

Pretty high on the carbonation, but good mouthfeel, the balance alone makes it deserve a 4.5. Booze is pretty well-hidden, definitely moreso than the original from what I remember.

Forgive my Americanized taste buds, but this is such a good beer. Pretty much a Belgian IPA done right, not messy. $20 for a 750 is a stretch, but I will have to buy this again in the future, if I get excellent results again I might have to change taste to a 5. (1,194 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Look, I am not going to go deep into the ins and outs on this beer, I love Duvel, was not at all impressed with Duvel Green, and this beer is well made, but average especially considering the price.

The hop character was grassy and raw, and to me if you are going to go into a blend of tripel and hop aroma/flavor of an IPA it should be very fruity and have depth like Houblon Chouffe.

The alcohol I found to be uncharacteristically of the brewery harsh and rebounding the next day. The malt and yeast tones of classic Duvel are muted and cut by the hops in a way that is not complimentary. (592 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a slightly darker gold than the regular Duvel and the head is a tad more retrained than usual, though still billowy and white. Aroma has the usual Belgian sugars but a heavy presence of hops and a bit thicker and sweeter sugar smell. Also a bit more alcohol in the nose. Taste hardly wavers from the usual Duvel except for a slightly more hoppy presence and some grapefruit from the hops. Finishes a bit more bitter but still sticks close to the original. This brew could stand to use a more distinctive hop presence if it is being billed as "triple hopped."

Still a great brew and worth a try, but nothing (including the high price tag, of course) will draw me away from the original. (692 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%

750 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Saaz, Styrian Golding, and Amarillo hops, Styrian Golding dry-hopped, 9.5% ABV, 18 mei 2010 (bottled) Best before 18 mei 2013.

A - Gun smoke rises from the bottle post cork-pop. A massive plume of carbonation is entrancing in the lightly hazy pale yellow beer. A frothy, firm white head doesn't hesitate to rise quickly. It does, however, lower very, very slowly while leaving sheet after sheet of thick, classic, Belgian yeast.

S - A hint of skunkiness scared me at first until I realized it's a big, big nose of floral hops with very skunk-like hints (definitely not skunked though). Big citrus too. The hops smell as fresh as the last of my Chinook I plucked today actually! (yeah, I washed my hands) Lemon citrus and hints of clay erupt from the fascinatingly complex Belgian yeast strain and light bits of straw come through as well. Pale malts reside in the back and don't add much.

T - The plethora of hops electrifies right away with a distinctively American resin and citrus profile. That changes throughout, eventually ending up with a strong Belgian yeast profile. Lots of nuances can be found ranging from earthy clay to white pepper to lemon citrus. Maltiness isn't really present but it remains very well balanced none-the-less.

M - Extremely carbonated, a few sips of Duvel Tripel Hop leaves me bloated and belching up hops. It's a light to medium-bodied mouthfeel with a sharp tickle on the tongue and in the throat. Mild dry bitterness graces the palate on the finish. Alcohol is only experienced on a retro-nasal breath.

D - I opened this by myself (sorry Todd -see below) with the plan on finishing it while I get stuff done around the house tonight. It's very drinkable and not overly done in any regard. I may have to get a few more of these... (1,811 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer should be "unretired" as a new batch has been created and sent to the US. Bottled in May 2010, sampled September (just got to US, so I'm assuming it's as fresh as possible and representative of the brewers intent). Kinda pricey at $17.99/bottle, but I really wanted to try this so I splurged. Amazing packaging with branded foil, cage, and a 10 page booklet!

750ml bottle, opened with huge gunsmoke and created a most magical phenomenon - the etching on the bottom of the beautiful Parra Duvel Artist Series glass I poured it into created a tornado of bubbles. Literally a cyclone. So this one kicked off with smoke and tornadoes - awesome!!

Looks perfect in the glass. A huge four finger rocky head fills my tulip. It eventually recedes into the golden, lively liquid and leaves excellent lace and some 'whipped cream' is left behind. Just an exceptional looking beer.

Smells amazing! Sweet Belgian pale malt sets the stage and the hops are the actors. There's a nice spicyness thanks to the European hops and some orange and grapefruit thanks to the Amarillo. Not just simply a kicked-up Duvel, this has lemongrass, white pepper, clove, and really deep citrus notes with just a touch of alcohol that shaves a mere half point off the score. Wow, must taste now!!

Unfortunately, this doesn't come together as well as I had hoped. There's some sweet pale malt, tons of citrus hops, spicey esters due to the yeast, and some notable booze on the backside. Tastes include lemon, pepper, ginger, honey, apricot, grass, orange and alcohol. Just not as cohesive - I was hoping for less booze and for the hops to serve as a flavor bridge and bring things together more.

The mouthfeel is creamy and medium-bodied. The finish is sweet malt, mildly bitter citrus, and booze. Too bad this is just a bit transparent with regard to the ABV, which really hurts the taste (boozy presence), the finish (hot) and the overall drinkability. Otherwise, it's outstanding. I love some American takes on the Belgian Strong Pale like the Bruery's Michief and Brooklyn's Local One and I was hoping this would surpass them. It comes close but falls just short, and I'm left with the impression that I like regular Duvel more. Would not buy again at $18/bottle, but would happily sample just to see if it calms down. (2,304 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance - The toasted hay colored liquid sits beneath a whipped cream cloud. Looks quite inviting.

Smell - There is a fruity presence swirling amongst the hop notes. A sweet aroma with the alcohol presence noticeable.

Taste - I wish I was able to have this closer to the brew date (2007) when the hops probably had their highest kick. That said, the hops are still quite present. The beer starts tart before jumping into the hoppy, spicy middle. The taste finishes out with a little alcohol sweetness and a winey, alcohol note that lingers in the finish.

Mouthfeel - There is a moderate level of carbonation which just complements the tart, spicy, sweet flavors nicely.

Drinkability - The drinkability is good but the boozy notes are noticeable enough that it would probably keep one from consuming overly fast. As a comparison, regular Duvel and Duvel Green do a much better (more dangerous) job at hiding the higher alcohol content. (941 characters)

Thanks to bu11eye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is lemon, Belgian yeast and Belgian candi sugar. The flavor is more Belgian candi sugar as well as some citrus fruit, both lemons and oranges. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. I didn't enjoy this as much as regular Duvel, but it was still very good. (365 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

A: Pale hazy yellow with a big white head. Good retention and lacings.

S: Peppery and somewhat floral hops, tobacco, fruity yeast and biscuity malts.

T: Gentle malty backbone, rather sweet. Peppery and floral hops. Citric notes. Notes of fruit and yeast. The finish is somewhat bitter with notes of grassy hops and a hint of alcohol.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation. Easy to drink.

D: A decent beer, no more. Didn't live up to the hype. (448 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Finally opened the bottle I received in trade from ygtbsm94. Thanks again!!

Poured into the classic trademark Duvel glass with the classic trademark massive Duvel foaming action. Amazing rocky, meringue-like formations as the head settles, leaving tons of lacing and islands of foam. Drinking Duvel is never anything less than a spectacle, and Duvel Tripel Hop just takes it to the next level. Wonderful deep golden honeycomb coloration with just the right touch of haziness. Smell was incredible with a sweet citrus note that reminded me distinctly of the scent of fresh oranges (presumably due to the addition of Amarillo hops). More delicious, sweet citrus fruit in the flavor along with flavors of honey and tart peach. Finishes with a more traditionally bitter (re: Duvelesque) and clean hop flavor. Mouthfeel was absolutely terrific, reminiscent of original Duvel but just a bit more viscous. Due to its relatively high rarity and the substantial alcohol level, I can't really see drinking a lot of this at once. I would, however, drink it again in a heartbeat. It was just a tad too sweet overall, however this might be due to the age of the bottle and therefore the true hop character fading a bit. Still, the front-and-center orange flavor floored me...I really wish they'd start making this stuff on a regular basis because it would become a staple in my fridge. (1,373 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Brewed August 2007, Best By June 2010; Sampled November 2008
A careful pour into my 25cl tulip glass easily produces five fingers of head (including a full fat finger above the rim of the glass); the head is a pale, just off-white color and forms an impressive structural surface / mesa and lots of Belgian lace patterns as it slowly subsides. The beer is a nice gold color that shows a bright, yellow-gold color when held up to the light and shows a mad frenzy of carbonation. The aroma smells of lemon zest, touches of apricot, cracker-like grain, notes of black pepper, pink ginger, clove, a touch of pear, honey-like malt and a solid backdrop of tropical fruit notes that seem to have faded over time, but still have a commanding presence in the nose. I have a feeling that a lot more of the base beer comes through in the aroma now, and I definitely like that. This is far more aromatic than the regular version of Duvel; at least in volume, I like regular Duvel for its soft, yet deep complexity, but this is also really nice (plus I am a sucker for Amarillo).

The beer flavor still has lots of Amarillo signature to it; up front flavors of peach, lychee and candied kumquat. The beer finishes with spicy phenolics and a spicy alcohol warming as well a nice, though soft, clean bitterness. Clove, a ginger heat and a turpene driven light palate numbing show a nice, yeast derived phenolic character towards the finish blends in quite well with the up front hop character.. The carbonation died down considerably as I was enjoying the aroma, but still has a prickly tickle to it as well as providing a bit of a carbonic bite. The body of this beer stands up quite well to the carbonation though, it definitely has a touch of heft to it, though in true form it is quite an easy beer to quaff faster than is safe. My second pour only nets me a half finger of beer, while the rest is foam. The spicy & phenolic notes seem to get a bit more prominent as I work my way through this bottle; it actually starts to get quite spicy in the finish. My third pour has me learning a bit and I end up with only a bit more head than beer in my glass.

I can't tell you how happy I am that the Amarillo character is still pretty apparent; that definitely had me a bit worried. I am sure the hop character has faded a bit, but it is still quite nice. I am not sure I have ever had a beer that is more prone to leaving structural sculptures of foam (a product of the foam positive character of hops and the high carbonation of Duvel), it is quite interesting and visually you really can't quite ask for more. It is always a good sign when I have a hard time not finishing off a 750ml bottle of strong beer by myself. (2,704 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: Pours a clear, pale yellow body with an explosive, foaming white head.

Smell: Spicy, floral, soapy aroma with a touch of peach juice and some candyish hints in the background.

Taste: Pale malts with a candi sugar sweetness. Dash of fruit peach juice. Plenty of spiciness to the hops added. Slight kick of acidity. Floral hints. Pinch of coarse ground black pepper. Warm, fruity finish with a lingering sour yeastiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Well carbonated.

Drinkability: It's pretty decent. The bumped up hoppiness compliments the original Duvel fairly well. (579 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -18.2%

Bottle shared at tasting. Thanks!!
Pours a light golden color with the characteristic huge lasting white meringue like head. Smell is sweet fruity, and almost corn like maltiness with a faint twinge of hops. Taste is as expected and very original duvel like with a hopped edge to it. Still fairly sweet and grainy with a nice finishing hoppiness to it and a black peppery spiciness too. Nice. I definitely enjoyed this more than the standard Duvel. (449 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled this beer at the Kerstbierfestival in Essen, Belgium this past weekend.

I had this as my first beer and I was the first person to sample it at the fest as they opened up the bottle fresh when I requested the beer. The beer comes in a nice classy triangle type box and the bottle itself is 750ml and wrapped in gold foil. Upon opening the bottle we were greated by the trademark Duvel smell but it was a bit more citrusy. The beer poured a pale yellow, cloudy color into the glass with a massive rush of bubbles in the glass. The head was massive. It was like a fluffy snow storm unloaded on the top of my glass. The head just kep growing and at one point was was 2 inches over the lip of my glass.

The nose of this beer is a bit more citrus than regular Duvel. The taste has alot of the trademark Duvel qualities but is actually bit more mellow and less "hot" to taste. With less carbonation in the taste, you get a slightly sweeter taste and a nice hop backbone but this is not a hop bomb by any means. The three hops are a nice addition to this fine beer.

It sounds like this beer was mainly limited to Belgian supermarkets so I am not sure if it will make it to the U.S. but if it does, be sure to check it out. (1,234 characters)

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last