Duvel Tripel Hop - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

pDev: 10%
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: ggaughan on 12-17-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Tripel Hop Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Duvel Tripel Hop | 750 ml. | 9.5% ABV | 2010 vintage

Brewer: Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale (BSPA)
Glass: Duvel tulip

Hop varietals: Amarillo, Saaz-Saaz, Stygian Golding
Dry Hopping: Stygian Golding

Appearance:
Even with a careful pour, bubbles exploded from the bottom of glass and continued to rush towards the top in an incredible torrent. I've never seen anything quite like it. Pure, foamy, snow-white head piles up in a boozy cumulus.

Aroma:
It smells remarkably fresh, floral, and fragrant. Citrus and tropical fruits--orange peal, lime, pineapple--burst forth. There's some barnyard funkiness in the background.

Taste:
It's an effusion of hoppy goodness draped in floral notes. Pineapple, lime, and a touch of black pepper streaks the flavor profile. Sizzling bitter-sweetness towards the end. You get hit hard by the alcohol midway through the glass. Bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Light to medium-bodied but syrupy and sticky at the same time. Carbonation is strong.

Harmony:
The shear amount and balance of hoppy, fruity, and floral flavor is stunning.

Would I get it again?:
No. Well maybe once a year. It's a rich and delightful take on Duvel, but not a staple. Have it once, and revel in it.

Bottled: May 18, 2010
Served: December 19, 2010

Price = $19.99 at Witherspoon Wines

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

750 ml corked and caged bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a cloudy golden color with about an inch and a half frothy white head. Head retention and lacing are both pretty good. Aroma is bananas, oranges, tropical fruit, yeast and spicy and floral hops. It tastes like floral and grassy hops, citrus, peppery spice, yeast, bready malt, and a bit of banana and apple. There's also a lingering bitter hoppy and slightly fruity finish. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's very well carbonated and finishes dry. Drinkability is good, the soft carbonation in this brew makes it do down easy. Alcohol is well hidden. I think this is a pretty good overall brew, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again because of the price. But it's definitely worth buying once if you can find it.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

750ml bottle poured into a goblet. Bottled on May 18, 2010. Best by May 18, 2013. I don't get this. Shouldn't a hop-forward beer be drunk as fresh as possible?

A: Somewhat hazy yellowish-orange body with a big rocky white head that leaves good lacing. I gave Duvel Classic a 5 in this category, so I can't go much lower for this one.

S: Overpowering dank floral hops.

T: The hops haven't faded significantly after seven months. Again, overwhelmingly floral. Almost tea-like. Malt starts out bready and then goes into interesting directions. Rather meaty, in fact. Can't detect any classic Duvel yeast notes. Alcohol definitely sneaks up on you.

M: Light-bodied, big carbonation.

D: This was a bit of a chore to get through, which knocks down its drinkability. Overall, one of the better hoppy Belgians I've had. It doesn't hold a candle to Duvel Classic, though.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pale ale is a pale yellow highlighted by the christmas lights on the other side cloudy and hazy because of the liquid and tiny bubblesthat rise in succession to rocky white foam that leaves rocky white lacing along the side.

S: A hint of alcohol penetrates the nose that is subverted by bananas and oranges and apples and an earthy yeast that provide the base of the famous hops that this beer hopes to become known for. Rise up hops and take your place at the forefront of this glass! You are too timid as of yet!

T: These hops could overthrow the bourgeoisie and the stalinists and america and mass produced lagers and still have enough drive to make you cringe from the bitterness. Mixed with the faint alcohol its a challenge, but an oh so something reward. Some yeast and citrus round it all out.

M: Substantially and appropriately everything. Thin, but teaming with carbonation that shoots down your throat. Dry, dry, dry.

D: I'm mad I can't pay a bunch of money to have this again... so that's something. It's fun and interesting and familiar but original and tasteful.

4.16/5  rDev -1%

Served in a large wine glass. This beer just looks great. The head is as thick and as bright white as can be. It falls, but leaves huge islands of foam, and thick lacing. The beer itself is yellow. The fist glass was crystal clear and bubbling like champagne, the next glass was hazy, but still bubbling.

I haven't had a regular Duvel in a while, so I won't make any comparisons. The aroma is fairly strong, it's yeasty with bitter floral hops and a bit of alcohol. The flavor follows the nose pretty well, though the hops become much more pronounced. Also a fruity character comes through, i'm getting a little strawberry and apple.

Mouthfeel is dry and carbonation is high, it certainly leaves you looking forward to the next sip. I'm not sure if it's an improvement on the original, but it is very good.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

Big, expensive bottle of 9.5% Duvel Triple Hop. Really light in color and I get slightly banana, citrus and booze in the nose. The front is...not much? Meager hops on the back end, with a residual dryness that tickles the sides of the tongue, while still leaving the tiniest sweetness (and I understand it sounds odd to say dryness combined with sweetness).

I hear great things, but I don't really know what there is to like about this beer. I would never drop the coin to get this again. Not a bad beer, but not one I'll be revisiting.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Appearance - This is a very appealing light golden orange in color and full of hazy goodness. The white head came up easy and left cool-looking pits along with the traditional Belgian lacing.

Smell - The big orange and coriander showed some terrific, mature depth that just screamed quality. There's also some very mild white pepper. The beauty of this nose is not a wanderous sense of complexity but is more about the aromatic depth of the ingredients.

Taste - The orange peel gains the upper hand at the taste. It's big and powerful, borderline medicinal, with an overabundance of coriander and pepper.

Mouthfeel - This is full-bodied with some brilliant, boisterous carbonation and a hopping bitter middle. The finish is curt and satisfying.

Drinkability - This is in essence a suped up version of the standard BSPA and is a real heavy-hitter. It should be enjoyed on an empty stomach.

Update – I had the opportunity to try this again on New Year’s Eve weekend 2011 and it seemed to be better than my original tasting. Even then I enjoyed this immensely but now the head was incredible, white as snow and ultra puffy, the nose showed more complexity, and I got some light sweetish grapefruit at the taste that added the missing balance. Overall this went from a really good beer to a great beer and I upped a couple of my ratings a bit.

3.74/5  rDev -11%

Bottle. The presentation is really nice with a cork & cage bottle with foil. Poured into a Duvel tulip (fitting I think) a fairly clear golden color with a big fully white head that slowly recedes leaving lace along the way. Nice belgian yeast esters in the nose along with hops and almost a bite of booze. Medium mouthfeel. Sweet start with fruit type notes starts off but then quickly transitions to a hoppy bitter bite with citrus notes. The booze shows up at the end and makes itself known. Ends pretty dry with a lingering bitterness. Hmm, I'm on the fence on this one, it's nice to see something different but I'm not totally in love with it.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance - Pale golden with a thick consistent white head that leave patchy lacing.

Smell - Floral hops with an apricot and lemon zest tinge.

Taste - Apples, oranges, peaches, lots of fruits going on in this beer. It finishes clean, dry and with a citrus bite.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and carbonated. Bubbly and cleansing.

Drinkability - Wow. Remarkable brew here. So flavorful and so alcoholic. Yet its very undertone. I want more. :D

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a hazy pale yellow color with a big white head. In the aroma, amarillo hops stand out, with a nice mix of yeast and candy sugar. In the taste, dry hops and fresh hops, a pinch of yeast and a small hint of fruit. A small hop bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry fresh hop aftertaste. WOW, Duvel just got better!!

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Duvel Triple Hop is Duvel plus an extra aftertaste of citrus tones. Good amount of spicy character and nice malt body....I can see why novice Duvel drinkers might not necessarily jump into this...however I would highly recommend it, Duvel with a bit extra kick....very nice.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: A murky (especially in the last glass) straw-yellow body capped by a massive and dense white head that fades incredibly slowly and leaves superior lacing.

Aroma: A mix of floral, leafy, and citrusy hops, pepper, Belgian yeast and bready malt. Absolutely brilliant.

Flavor: Up front, a wave of mildly bitter, leafy, and citrusy hops instantly set this apart from usual Duvel. Underneath, the more traditional spicy yeast and solid pale malt body keep everything anchored. There's a little alcohol in the flavor as it warms, but not much. Certainly more hop forward than standard issue Duvel, but still elegantly balanced. Leafy hops and lightly biscuity malt in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and somewhat creamy with lots of sharp carbonation and a dry finish. Just a bare hint of warmth from the alcohol that tends to blend in behind the prickly carbonation.

Drinkability: This drinks criminally fast given the stout alcohol content; I was able to put the big 750 back without an issue.

Verdict: Somewhere between traditional Duvel and a Belgian IPA, Duvel Tripel Hop is a fun diversion. While its premium price point would keep me from buying this regularly, in my eyes it's certainly worth a try for Duvel fans. A world with more Duvel variants is a good thing.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

Live review. This is the 63rd review of this beer on BA. Poured from the corked, caged and gold foil topped bottle that I bought at World Wines & Liquor in Mentor, Ohio last week for $17.99. It came with a little booklet on the back of which is printed the following: Brewed on 18 May 2010. I have to admit that I was very excited to see this bottle in the bottle shop as I had seen an advertisement or maybe I read about it here on BA a while back and was curious. I have had regular Duvel and "Duvel Green" and I liked both of them. The bottle itself is very impressively presented. The gold writing, the small stuck on label that looks at first to be hand written and the gold foil (with "Tripel Hop" written on the foil) is all very well done! Alas, my admiration for the bottle and packaging will NOT be part of my review of the beer! Poured into my gold rimmed Brewery Ommegang Westveteren style goblet.

A Creamy, Meringue (whipped egg) like head over a slightly hazy, translucent straw yellow body with 10 or 12 strings of bubbles rising up from the bottom. Head sticks around for a while (I like that) and clings to the inside fo the glass nicely. Really good look, not unlike classic Duvel. 4.5

S Classic Belgian yeast earthy goodness with citrus notes but not a lot of hops bitterness to my nose. Regardless of the "aggressively hopped" indication on the top of the front label, the smell is of standard Duvel but I really like that smell so my rating will reflect that. 4.0

T I take a sip through the still present head of at least one inch some 4 minutes after pouring to experience the following: Sure enough, the taste extends right from the smell again. Strong citrus notes (lemony more than orange or anything else) with significant Belgian yeast earthiness. It is not until the late 1/3 of the taste that I perceive any hops bitterness and it is the variety that kind of just eases in. I am sure that my palate has been altered by American hammer-you-over-the-head with hops grapefruit bitterness but these hops are the subtle European type. That is not a criticism but a description. There is a strange kind of hollowness (cannot think of a better word right now) between the initial 1/3 of Belgian yeast and citrus bite and the slow onset hops. I don't recall that regular Duvel or even Duvel Green had that. I am not sure that I like that very much. It took me several sips to perceive that but repeated sips confirmed it. This is nothing if not an interesting beer. I will say that it is better than the average for the style but not much more than that. 3.5

M Kind of difficult to describe again but I will try. As stated above, 3 different "feels" to this beer.
1. Citrus bitterness and earthy Belgian yeasts
2. A kind of hollowness as the taste transitions from the above to the below.
3. Slooow onset hops bitterness that is "European" in nature
In my opinion, the feel and taste of this beer are closely related. Overall, I thought the feel was a bit thin. 3.0

D Well I just finished the 1 pint, 9.4 oz bottle and I am surprised to report that it actually was a bit of a struggle to finish it. I think that it was the citrus bitterness the elevated ABV and that slow onset (but moderate) hops bitterness that made it not so easy to drink. It took me 40 minutes to get to that last sip. 2.0

Notes: This was a challenging beer for me to rate. I love Duvel and I recall really enjoying Duvel Green. This fell short of my high expectations. I still really like the packaging for what it is worth!

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Review 2900

Duvel Triple Hop. Special Edition Ale. 750 ml bottle. Complete with lushly illustrated booklet. Saaz, Styrian Goldings, plus Amarillo, the newish tropical-fruity American hop. $20 bottle. I don't usually drop that much on a single beer. But, this is Duvel. And, well, I've heard good things. Brewed on May 18, 2010.

In a Duvel goblet, of course. Bright golden coloration, fierce, incessant carbonation, bubbles rising valiantly to the top, with a typically enormous, bone white, lacy, and lovely head.

Aroma spills out at first pour, and distracted me while describing the appearance. This addition of Amarillo to the usual combo of Saaz and Styrian Golding hops was ingenious. Floral, fragrant, aplomb with many associations found in these hops, the citrus, the spice, the distinctive pungent "cat pee" , well, that one peeks out, but is smothered by the pleasanter feelings. And underneath the pretty floral and fruity emanations, comes the bitterness. Beautiful bitterness.

Taste: Light is the body, and high is the bitter hop flavor. A great cornucopia of hoppy goodness. Fruit, spice, and bitter-tangy. Some pineapple pops up, with a twist of lime, trickle of pepper. Smooth down the throat, and over the palate, with the pleasing hop flavor riding along. Each sip is quenching and bracing, with bitterness. You get the sizzle of the Saaz, the classic feel of the Belgian-y Styrian Golding, the funky twisted nature of the thing, with the tropical fruity American Amarillo bringing that pineapple, mango, banana. Wonderfully hoppy. And, as it ages, it gets better an

This = yum. Me likey long-time. Unfortunately, it won't be returned to, due to the price. Amazing, for what it is. And I love it. Like I already said, = yum + my. Mmmm, mmm, mmm...

3.96/5  rDev -5.7%

Served this 750 mL brown bottle in a Duvel glass naturally. Bottled May 18th 2010. The body was a pale yellow green. The head was a bright white and a puffy island remained.

The smell was of a damp basement. Grapes. Dusty. Lemons appeared late. Well hidden mild alcohol.

The taste had a spicy bite. Damp yeasty flavor. Aspirin-like Amarillo hops character. Saaz spiciness. Bone dry finish.

The mouthfeel was zippy texture and robust carbonation.

Gebrouwen op 18mei2010
In a snifter the beer was a hazy pale yellow color with a thick white head. The head decreased in size rapidly.
Candy sugar aroma, citrus, and floral.
Great taste: earthy, piney hops, some grapefruit. They went well together.
I thought this was a nicely hopped, well-balanced beer.
A bit on the expensive side.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a little bit lighter and more translucent than the original Duvel. The head is massive and is nothing short of a Duvel pour. Tons of lacing and visible carbonation.

S: Grassy and earthy continental hops. The malt is very much there as well. Not that many esters. You get the saaz big time. Lots of citrus and a touch of alcohol I never got in a regular bottle of Duvel.

T: It is more earthy and you do get a little more citrus than the regular version but I keep thinking to myself why. The amarillo in the finish was a nice touch

M: Well carbonated. A little bit thicker than the normal verion.

D: This is a good beer but so is regular Duvel at almost half the price. A nice novelty and a testament to marketing. Glad I bought this for my brother for his birthday and got a glass.

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%

750 mL bottle,

A: Pours a translucent gold, with a poofy white head, thick lace. This is a Duvel beer, looks great.

S: Grass, flowers, lemons, spring fresh crisp clean nose.

T: Saaz really comes out, strong pilsner type flavours. The Amarillo is noticable along with the Goldings, but the Saaz is where it's at. Grass, flowers, green flavour. Super tasty.

M: Medium-bodied, super clean, easy drinking, smooth.

D: Really good beer, would make a great food beer. Clean direct flavours, very well done.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

Attractive caged, corked, gold foiled, and info packeted 750ml bottle.

Appearance: Pours a fairly transparent light golden with a 1.5 finger white crown, ample active carbonation bubbles, medium retention and lace.

Smell: really nice herbal hop (saaz, amarillo and maybe hallertau?) smattering, ginger, black pepper, and green apple over pale malt. Like regular Duvel only a bit more beefed up.

Taste: The 9.5% makes the introduction. Then you are taken on a tour of the pale biscuit malt foundation as well as all of the notes described in the smell.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, medium to light body, with ample carbonation.

Drinkability: Very good despite the abv

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into Duvel tulip.

Looks phenomenal. Just like regular Duvel.

Smells of yeast and rustic bread. Tons of spicy clove like phenols. Some green apples. Leafy/earthy and flowery hop aromas, and a hint of pineapple. Off to a great start.

All the goodness of standard Duvel with a punch of flowery/leafy/earthy hops, and a lasting resinous aftertaste.

Fluffy, crisp, effervescent and fairly dry. This is even a bit more dry than regular Duvel.

A nice hoppy version of Duvel. Not buying again though, due to the price.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Consumed in a tulip glass on November 21, 2010.

Appearance is similar to standard Duvel: clear light yellow with a fine white three finger head. The head fades to a thick skin eventually, but foam sticks to the sides of the glass all the way to the bottom.

Aroma is sweet and hoppier than regular Duvel in the form of citrus and white pepper.

Again, compared to standard Duvel, little has changed; lightly sweet malt is somewhat less intense in relation to the stronger citrus zest and peppery spices. Still has a characteristic clean finish, though there is more noticeable bitterness there now. Carbonation is notable and welcome; keeps the flavor moving right along.

How does it stack up to regular bottled Duvel? I think I prefer the standard issue, though this is an outstanding beer in its own right. If you see it, try it.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

The appearance of the beer is a slightly hazy pale yellow. The head of this beer is very fizzy. The aroma smells of noble hops. Like spicy hops and a belgian yeast smell. The taste has more hops than the usual Duvel. The hops out compete the malt sweetness. The beer has a bit of a lingering belgian yeast flavor. The mouthfeel is light, and I would consider this very drinkable. Even at 9.5% I am not catching any bad harsh alcohol flavors. It is a very well balanced beer.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Fluffy white head sits atop this straw/hazy gold colored beer. Lots of spider web lacing left in the glass.

Aroma was bright and full of candied sugar, light lemon and grass.

Very nice beer. Certainly full of some of the standard Duvel flavors. Candied sugar, some yeast components at the base and then a fresh grassy flavor and more assertive hop finish. Lots of light fruit happening just below the surface. A touch of pear and white grape. Really very interesting an complex enough to keep you exploring every sip.

Light, fresh and bright mouth feel. Tiny carbonation that brings the flavor to life.

Really enjoyed this beer. The $20 bottle price will not allow this to become something I go buy more of, but I really enjoyed it.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Chimay chalice. Very lively pop as the cork comes out. Has a thick creamy off white head that fades slowly leaving a huge amount of lacing. I can already smell the beer. Lots of carbonation with a pale golden color.

First whiff reminds me of a lambic beer in that funky cob web way. Very earthy, leathery notes with some spicy zest mixed in.

What a very interesting beer, while most are using tons of hops to create a bitter hop bomb. While this is a hop bomb it's in a different way. The hops have added new dimensions making it earthy, spicy, zesty, with tobacco, leather and floral flavors. The alcohol warms a bit as it goes down. The aftertaste is lingering and earthy with a dry, slightly soapy finish.

I enjoy this much more than regular Duvel. Wish this was made a regular brew.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Picked up a bottle of this at Citywide Liquors for $11 roughly.

Poured directly into my Duvel Chalice a hazy golden yellow. Sticky white lacing off the sides, with nice foamy head.

Hop bitterness up front, banana and grass on the body. Extremely complex with a tinge of sourness.

Starts wet and sticky, then the dryness hits you smack dab right away. The more you drink, the drier this beer gets. Kinda surprising, but in a good way. Well carbonated, this is just an amped up version of Duvel, which is fantastic. Complex and tasty, one of the more unique Belgians I've had to date. The alcohol is very well masked, kinda hits you later on. The more I drink, the buzz is starting to kick in. If I had to pick one complaint, I would say it could stand to have a bit more fruity notes to its flavor profile.

Great beer, what more did you expect?

Duvel Tripel Hop from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV