Duvel Tripel Hop - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Tripel HopDuvel Tripel Hop

pDev: 10%
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ggaughan on 12-17-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Tripel Hop Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

A well-executed hopping of Duvel, without losing the distinctive characteristics of the base beer. Sweet aroma with a hint of orchard fruit. Lively, prickly carbonation that requires a patient, steady pour to avoid a glass of tight foam. Unlike a Belgian IPA, the Belgian Strong Pale Ale character is prominent, with the hopping complimenting rather than mutating the beer.

Brent, Nov 09, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear orange tinted lemon-yellow with that signature Duvel billowing whipped egg white head that we've all come to love. A huge oily dense pillar of foam appeared as the frothy white mound slowly receded into fuzzy lace.
S: Notes of rich sweet fruits and Belgian spices. Light fruity alcohol notes as well.
T: Huge punch of peppery Belgian spices followed by a wonderful combination of sweet fruit. I pick up notes of sweet golden apples, pears and bananas. The hops are very herbal and earthy but the aftertaste has a touch of grapefruit pith. Tastes just how I expected: a hopped up Duvel.
M: Prickly carbonation froths up in your mouth over a medium-full body. Mouthfeel is creamy and lightly bitter. Alcohol is almost nonexistent on the palate.
D: I think I'd actually prefer this to normal Duvel, but is hard to compare them in price. At $20 a bottle, I'm really glad I pulled the trigger on this, but I don't think I can afford to drink this again. This may be one the best BSDA I've had, but there are comparable ones for half the price.

scottfrie, Nov 09, 2010

This is the king of all beers, the taste is exceptional and the after flavor is citrusy and hoppy... the head is about three fingers and beautiful to look at !!! I think is worth every pennie out of the $22.00 dlls that I paid for it, enjoy it with dry fruit and nuts, of course a good strong chesse will finish it perfectly...

jorgom69, Nov 08, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

A foil-wrapped, corked and caged 750 mL bottle from the Wine Source. Finally!

A: This incarnation of Duvel is a stunningly pale yellow color that has just a little more hue than a pale lager. I forgot has light the Duvel line is. A haze runs through the beer but it is not enough to obscure it. A voluminous head, over 3 fingers on each and every pour, quickly whittled away but left dense patches of lace all around the glass. A beautiful scene.

S: That's a lot of saaz! The crisp hoppiness is earthy with an herbal twang. The vicious bite of amarillo hangs around, adding citrusy floral zest. The strength of the ale can't be hidden under the hops, getting a little too strong at times.

T: After an initial blast of boozy strength, the ale settles in for the long haul. Biscuity malts, pale and light, set the stage for the biting hoppiness that follows. The combination of Saaz, Styrian and Amarillo hops is intoxicatingly powerful, an herbal dose that quickly turns floral. The earthy bite, so familiar from the Duvel line, is much more concentrated and earthy. Amarillo hops add a citrus sharpness that plays nicely off of the Saaz. The ale, bold as it is, still has enough of that Duvel heart to comfort you, even as it takes the beer in a whole new direction.

M: You best love hops. The Saaz and Amarillo flavors are bold, standing out with a earthy, spicy bite and a citrusy twang, respectively. The earthiness leads off and the citrus ends with a bang.

D: The boozy heaviness is the only thing holding this beer back. The hoppy bite, earthy to citric and back again, is worth the price of admission.

akorsak, Oct 30, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Purchased for $19.99 at Julio's, came with a free Duvel tulip. Can't beat that, as while the price is high when you factor in the glass it was more than worth it.

A - Holy cannoli this stuff is the be all end all as far as appearances. This continues to show why people use this as the bar for all others. A golden clear pour with an incredibly fluffy almost three finger head that as it fades leaves big clump lacing. The head never truely goes away, just slowly dimishes into a thick white blanket atop the golden brew.

S - I knock this half a point just because the 9.5% is so potent on the nose. Picking up some great grapey white wine type notes. along with the usual Duvel belgian yeast and brewing spices. Man oh man the pear aroma is so much more intense in this one.

T - Much like the nose this is a more intense and upfront Duvel. Some wonderful white wine flavours along with the great Duvel yeast flavors. The peppery flavors are a bit more intense with this version than the usual Duvel.

M - Much like Duvel, this has a great light crisp mouthfeel which is such a great play on a big ABV strong pale ale. Just exceptional. Really cant ask for anything more.

D - Just crazy. The kick in the pants is the fact that this is waaay over priced. While it is simply amazing, $20 is rather steep for a 750mL, or atleast more than I'd like to pay. That being said, if this was just a bit lower I would be all over it. Just superb.

rudzud, Oct 26, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Picked up a 750ml bottle (caged and corked) for $19.99 at Olive Tree Market here in Ocean Beach, and poured it into a stemmed tulip glass.

Bottled on 5/18/2010

A: Pours a hazy blonde hue with a fat head, big bubbles an fluffy lace.

S: White wine, followed up by that classic Duvel yeast smell, sweet malt, green apples, with a good amount of piney/citrus hop.

T: A lot of citrus & bitter hop, sour apples, woody characteristics, and candy sugars. Slightly boozy but the malts and candy sugars round out the booziness pretty well.

M: Medium bodied but very much on the lighter side of medium bodied, well carbonated with big bubbles, crisp, dry and very smooth.

D: Like all the other Duvel's, very drinkable and especially for the high ABV.

DeanMoriarty, Oct 26, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a corked and caged, 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Brewed: 18 Mei 2010
Best Before: 18 Mei 2013

A: Pours an absolutely perfect, "Duvel-styled", hazy pale-gold with an incredible head on top. Bright-white, thick, creamy, clumpy like freshly whipped meringue. Fantastic retention and so much sticky lace left over, I'm going to have to scrub the glass to get it clean.

S: Much like regular Duvel with more of an herbal hop bite. Aromas of pear, green apple, earthy yeast, and a touch of peach. Slightly peppery hop aroma.

T: See above. Near perfect blend of spicy hops, sweet/tangy fruit, and yeasty goodness. Loses .5 for a tad too much alcohol coming through by the end of the bottle. But, considering that this is 9.5% that's just a minor issue for me.

M: Big, creamy, and thick in the beginning, with a hoppy astringency that asserts itself during the middle, and a finish that stays peppery/spicy for ages. Excellent!

D: Drinks fantastically. Really, my only quibble is with the aforementioned alcohol presence, but that has the common courtesy to wait 'till the end of the bottle before it rears its' head.

GbVDave, Oct 26, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

750 mL bottle split with my friend. My half was poured into my Duvel tulip.

The beer pours a radiant, 100% clear gold color. As with regular Duvel, the head is a giant white frothy mass that leaves gobs of lacing all the way down the glass. Head retention seems to be a little bit off from the standard version, and just keeps it from a perfect appearance score. The aroma on Duvel Triple Hop is incredible. Sweet apples and pears hit me first, with some spicy yeast notes to follow. More spice comes from the Saaz hops, as well as a faint suggestion of citrus from the Amarillo. The hops step it up even more on my palate, as the pale malt sweetness and spicy yeast flavors seem to rush by to make room for the delicate spice and citrus coming from the Saaz and Amarillo hops. It's actually to the point where it's a (slight) detriment to the beer as the hops run roughshod over the remainder of the beer. The beer didn't last long enough in my glass to warm up, but cold it was super crisp and the carbonation was lively and effervescent. This slightly bigger beer doesn't show its 9.5% at all. Another great beer from the people at Brouweriz Duvel Moortgat, though I think I prefer the classic version slightly.

axeman9182, Oct 24, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

A-Pours a brilliant gold color with heaps of rocky white head that reduces to substantial sticky lacing. A bit more translucent than regular Duvel, possibly a byproduct of the dry-hopping process.

S-Hop aromas are present right up front. Floral (Saaz), grassy (Styrian Goldings), and bitter (Amarillo). A really lovely combination that promises good things. There is also a hint of cracked pepper, clove and orange peel, which adds a mouth-watering spicy/sweet component to the nose.

T/M-The flavor is classic Duvel, with a twist. A bit of golden raisin sweetness and fruity notes (pear and apple), cut with traditional Belgian beer spices (coriander, clove, etc.). Duvel is an exceptionally well-balanced beer in its original form. With the addition of extra hops, they have managed to maintain this balance while adding something new and exciting. The hops are more prominent, but appropriate. A simple change that makes a huge difference.

D-The price is too high for what it is, but I was happy with the beer.

DaveHS, Oct 24, 2010

A: Just like it's "baby" brother, this bigger Duvel is clear, bright golden hue, with a massive head that leaves a ton of lacing. Duvel's appearance is what all other beers strive to become. Phenomenal.

S: Aromas of malt and citrus hops, but with a emphasis on malts and that well known pear-like aroma that Duvel is known for.

T: I didn't think it was possible to improve on Duvel, but this is it. Stronger hops, more heavy malt presence that enhances the pear and fruit quality.

M: Slightly creamier and thicker than the original, but still outstanding.

D: Regardless of the 9.5 abv, this one is so easy to drink. One can forget how strong this is because of its drinkability, so this one can probably creep up. Still, this is one of the greatest beers I've had.

irishking1977, Oct 21, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Presentation: It was poured from a dark brown, corked bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle came with a little info booklet, which gives some background on the beer and the three hop varieties used in the beer. The label also has the hops listed as well as the abv (9.5%) and a best before date (11/04/13).

Appearance: The body has a clear golden color on the first two glasses and a pale hazy golden color on the following glasses as the yeast unsettles from the bottom of the bottle. It also has a lot of wonderful champagne like carbonation streaming up to the tall frothy head. This head is white in color and thick. This makes for an excellent long lasting head that clings to the glass and leaves thick sticky lacing behind as I drink.

Smell: in the nose I get the classic Duvel character with notes of fruity (pear/apple) and funky yeast blended with a bigger more complex hop character. There are nice delicate pilsner like floral hops mixed with spicy and herbaceous hop notes. A mild pine like note also comes and goes in the nose. Behind all of this is a noticeable but expected alcoholic presence.

Taste/Palate: Its flavor matches the aroma perfectly and finishes with a solid dry bitterness slowly fading off the tongue. The firm medium body is lifted by the fine and quite active carbonation which helps to cleanse the palate and keep things light.

Notes: I am a big fan of the regular Duvel and this adaptation takes it to a whole new level. I had high expectations and it did not disappoint. I am very happy that I was able to find this at my local beer store and enjoy it for myself.

generallee, Oct 21, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks tenderbranson69 for sharing this with me, enjoyed from a Duvel tulip, what else?

A beautiful pristine golden w/ dancing trail of bubbles rising from the lazer etching in the duvel tulip. Thick foamy soap sud cap of white which shimmers in the light. The smell of light citrus and subtle tropical aromas suggest american hops w/ a belgian strain -lots of herbal aroma w/ lemony notes from the styrian goldings and saaz w/ slightly peppery hint and mild grassy scent w/ a floral odor and mild woody accents. The feel is spicy and tangy with mild sweetness and moderate bitterness w/ moderate alcohol and light acidity. The beer finishes dry w/ mild warming in the finish.

The flavor has delicious meyer lemon and orange rind w/ slight golden plum and pineapple notes - a lot of fruit from the yeast and slight peppery hop taste w/ mild herbal and floral tinges. The malt adds to the sweet edge, but alcohol follows along letting you know it is 9 1/2% strong, but the hops and spicy bitter hop flavors all work well together. the yeast and hops comingle w/ a gentle grassy mildly astringent flavor and a lasting taste of herb and light tropical sweetness carries on into the last taste. Take a world class beer and make it better with the addition of some extra hop complexity. A crazy good beer- Big ale, dry hopped and belgian w/ citrus flavor and aroma and the dry finish is refreshing.

To me this has a lot going on and the Amarillo certainly adds a different dimension and does nothing but help this with extra juice - a Great beer in every way!

Slatetank, Oct 21, 2010

Bottle from Gourmet Haus Staudt. Duvel is one of my favorite beers, so I had high expectations for this.

Appearance: Blond in body, perhaps a shade darker than Duvel, with a slight haze. It's highly effervescent, a gentle pour leaving me with two inches of sticky, clingy head.

Aroma: Herbal, floral hops. A bit of lemon grass, perhaps. This is strikingly floral and botanical, with grassy undertones. Yeast lends a peppery, spicy kick.

Taste & texture: Pear-like esters, spicy white pepper, rather different than the nose; the yeast comes through much more. Floral and grassy hops are nonetheless prominent, along with a little candi sugar sweetness, though this is largely dry. The finish is peppery, dry, floral, and the 9.5% ABV is surprisingly noticeable, even a bit harsh.

I enjoyed this, probably more than anyone else at the tasting I opened the bottle at, but it's simply not as good as regular old Duvel.

largadeer, Oct 21, 2010

I'm a big fan of "normal" Duvel. It is to me what a Bud would be for lots of Americans. I was so excited when the manager of one of my local distributors pointed out the Duvel Tripel Hop. I had intended to buy regular Duvel in fact, but instead leapt at the chance to try this out.

I was taken aback by the price. The bottle was $16.99, but so beautifully packaged I was sure it was worth it. It is more expensive, too, due in part to the increased abv (9.5 vs 8.5).

The Tripel was a bit brighter and more floral in aroma, and hoppier in taste, but it was not necessarily a better beer for the price. The famous head was present of course, and only a very slow and measured pour prevented it from dominating the glass (a Duvel snifter, 'natch). The 9.5 abv was just barely too much for the beer (and normally I like a high abv), and the aftertaste in my mouth was sour. Bubbly carbonation common to Duvel was tingly and sharp, with touches of (am I making this up?) orange and coriander.

I would have to say I like the normal Duvel a little better. I would certainly not buy this beer again unless it were cheaper. I'm not saying it's not worth trying, but for my tastes it was not that superior a drink (to a standard Duvel).

Edits:
On second tasting: as it neared room temp, it took on an almost wine-like quality that the standard Duvel does not.
Maybe I just think so highly of the standard Duvel that I don't understand why this one is so much more expensive?

Greywulfken, Oct 18, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +6%

I missed the launch party at Churchkey for this beer but really wanted to try it. IMO, the bottles of this beer are outrageously overpriced. I was happy I found one for 20$ and split it with the other Matt and our wives. I would get this beer again if it were in the 10 - 15$ range for a big bottle like this other beer I know, its called DUVEL. Otherwise, it was a good beer and a nice novelty.

Beer is yellow with a slight haze, an annoyingly huge head that slowly collapses leaving a ton of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to high. Looks like a Duvel, that is to say it looks good.

Aroma is nice! Its got this floral, fruity, mildly citrus, spice to it. The amarillo and saaz hops are coming through nicely.

This is a very nice beer, light in body, effervescent in the palate, hoppy in the midpalate, bready and yeasty with some minimal malt sweetness at the front with a bittering but not dry finish. I really enjoyed this beer.

drabmuh, Oct 14, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

I have had Duvel once. I was a bit buzzed, it poured more head than I ever needed, and to be blunt I was about as impressed at a 10 year old getting a sweater for Christmas.

Pours much like that Duvel I had before, a HUGE head even with a gentle pour. That head isn't going anywhere. How do the Belgium's or why do they always do this? The head is as thick as any I've ever seen and well, you have to give props. The body is a light straw or light golden color with yeast clearly in the glass and an explosive amount of carbonation shooting up the middle. The lacing, the head retention, the body....wow I hate to say this but for a golden near urine colored beer there is simply no way to do it better or have a rival.

The nose is a boring Belgium beer. Some candy, some hops, some yeast and some spices. That said served in a Delirium glass and it isn't doing much for me in the nose category. Warmer and the nose is really starts to come out. Citrus lemon and orange. Grapefruit hops and some earthy aromas as well. Still a sweet candy malt to finish it.

Drinking this beer the problems with a Belgium are greatly missed. The spicy flavors are subtle in their presence. The lack of malt isn't a problem. The clean finish is wonderful. It comes off as a grape fruit opening and a pear finish though. It's certainly a different experience to say the least. It finishes with a citrus almost lemon but almost orange bitterness. The hops are all over the place. Grape fruit and earth spices are the most noticeable. This is truly fascinating to experience as it warms. The bottom line here is the flavor isn't for me, but it is so close! It's too citrus and lacks the hops and or malt to make it work for me. But wow....it is CLOSE and an absolute must try experience. I have to score this weak because of personal taste but for those who enjoy what's going on here, this may be a legit 5 with many.

The carbonation is plenty. It finishes dry. It has enough body to linger in your glass. At 20 bucks a bottle I want to sip and enjoy a beer. This one's body and mouth feel demand that of the consumer!

The bitter citrus flavors oddly are not my thing. I've never had this issue with any beer. Weird. That said I haven't had any issue drinking it. Cold this thing would be gone in 5 minutes on a hot day.

Bottom line is this is a wonderful belgium and a blah american beer. I didn't expect much from this beer but I wanted to see what they could do with american hops. This beer is an experience I won't forget and that say something even if the ultimate flavors are a bit off putting and the beer isn't my style. Truly must recommend this beer to all who even remotely are interested.

bobhits, Oct 14, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

A: Hazy yellow with an enormous white head that leaves ample lacing all over the glass.

S: Floral, citrus, hops, very large Saaz hop presence.

T: Wonderful taste. I am very impressed with this beer. A huge Saaz hop presence in the taste, accompanied by floral and citrus notes.

M: 9.5% abv is hidden extremely well. Very nice feel. Lingering hop bitterness is very pleasant.

D: I wish I had a keg of this. Highly recommended.

Notes: While this is great beer, it is entirely too expensive.

Huhzubendah, Oct 13, 2010

Duvel but GOODER.
More good.
I do now enjoy Duvel quite well. I recently re-read my review of Duvel from 2005 when i didn't quite get the point; by now I get that beer.
THIS rendition has all the lovely qualities of the original: delicate, subtle flavors, Belgian yeast happiness with lemon overtones. Light flavors with deceptive strength.
This is Duvel with the volume turned up just a bit. This is definitely NOT a Belgian IPA (like the Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, which I love). I think Belgian IPA and I think a marriage of Belgian style with the aggression of American hops. The difference with this beer, I believe, is a sharp increase of Saaz hops.
Perhaps a Belgian Imperial Pilsner? That I could see.
More flavor than the original, with more alcohol and still managing to be just as drinkable...
Yeah. I'm sold.

ommegangpbr, Oct 13, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Duvel Triple Hop looks an awful lot like normal Duvel, which is a very good thing. It is a clear pale golden color with a towering head that stays around almost indefinitely. As ever so slowly fades, it turns into a rocky landscape of foam and leaves cement like lace on the sides of my tulip.

The aroma is similar to Duvel but kicked up a notch. Tons of floral Saaz hops meet the nose right off the bat. They of fragrant and fresh with a spicy grassy aroma. There is also a definite floral orange fruityness in there, as well as some mild clove and pepper. Delicate and cracker like pale malt can also be detected, but it mostly is just helping support the fragrant hop aromas.

The flavor is also close to the original, but with a bit more pizazz. The spice comes through more in the flavor, with a good amount of clove and pepper. Saaz hops are definitely the major player in the flavor as well, but there is a decent amount of the perfumey, citrusy Amarillo in there offering a nice fruity character not present in the normal Duvel. I just wish the Amarillo were a bit more pronounced. The malt is sweet with a nice honey like quality to it. This is a fairly bitter beer, and as it warms some alcohol comes out a bit more than I would like.

The body is on the lighter side of medium with a fairly lively mouthfeel. I would say it is mostly dry, but not overly so. The finish is hoppy, spicy and is wonderful, pretty much just vanishing off my palate.

This is not the most drinkable beer, but considering its strength it does pretty well. It was an enjoyable experience, but I don't think I would be willing to spend another $20 on a bottle of this when normal Duvel is, in my opinion, a better beer

zoso1967, Oct 11, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Brewed on May 18, 2010. Consumed on October 8, 2010. Figured I'd drink the hoppy beer as fresh as possible. . . .

A: Loud pop of the cork releases a tiny bit of gunsmoke. Poured into my 2006 Duvel tulip, the body is glowing yellow with a 2+ finger rocky white head that settles - slowly - to a foamy meringue. Lots of carbonation rising from the etched "D" at the bottom of the glass. Leaves behind foamy splotches of lace on the side of the glass.

S: Immediately on popping the cork I smell hops. Then, after pouring, a nice spice. Putting my nose in the glass I also get some basic grain.

T: First impression is the spiciness. Alcohol heat felt down the gulley on the first sip. Finishes with a nice hop bitterness that fights with the spice for supremacy on the palate. At times the spice prevails, at times the hop bitterness. Let's see what happens as it warms up a bit. . . . I'm also getting a bit of florally hops, beyond just the bitterness. . . . As it warms I'm getting more bitterness instead of spice, though it's still there.

M: Carbonation is amped up, but it's a fine, gentle carbonation, not an aggressive, sharp type. Weight is about medium.

D: Very good. Worth the $20 I paid for the 750 ml? Probably not. But a very nice beer.

Kendo, Oct 09, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

My bottle was brewed in may 2010 and is best by 5/2013...I noticed in the other reviews that the beer is better with age. Though my sample is new, I consider it to be fantastic. I am not a as seasoned a reviewer as most of this beer but I think that I am in love. I am unfamiliar with Duvel for the most part,but this amarrying of a tripel and pale ale is genious. The typical banana sweetness of a tripel paired with a properly distributed amount of hops makes for a great beer. The spicey sweet aromas with the hoppy flavor is great. The brew is seemingly balanced with a in style and possesses a crispness and carbonation that makews it refreshing. The ABV is no joke...but I really appreciate this offering from duvel.

ArrogantDeadGuy, Oct 07, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Picked up earlier in the week, split the 750ml and reviewed from notes. Very beautiful bottle and booklet. Poured into two Duvel tulips, awesome.

A- Beautiful hazy yellow with the massive, frothy Duvel head. Very foamy. Infinite cryptic lacing and the best cloud and ring in the business. Beauty.

S- Bready yeast hints. Some clove and banana esters. Lemony citrus. Nice floral notes. Pear and apple as well. Alcohol here but not too harsh.

T- Starts out hoppy, spicy and yeast. The floral notes from the hops here are very enjoyable compared to the same types of hops used in other beers. The Duvel yeast is great, perfect spice and bread notes. Hops also lend lemon citrus, great earthy grassy hints. Some sourness and even a bit of Brett-like hints, interesting. I also get apple and white grape at points.

MF- Light end dry body. Nice and creamy with a good alcohol warmth. Smooth moderate carbonation and bitterness.

DB- Expensive but awesome. Lots of great hop flavors going on from both American and European hop varieties. The yeast is utilized amazingly in combination. Excellent balance of Euro and American flavors.

cbutova, Oct 04, 2010
4.2/5  rDev 0%

Out of a 750ml corked, caged, and foiled bottle. Pours a hazy golden straw color with a fantastically huge pillowy, meringue, pure white head that sloooowly settles, leaving hunks of lacing everywhere. Primo. The aroma has a nice peppery belgian yeast kick to go along with some green apple, grassy hop, and some fusel alcohol. The taste is of a green apple tartness, clovey and peppery yeast, candi sugar, and hints of grassy and limey hops, more of a european hop profile. There is a nice fruity flavor in the finish. Must say the hops don't really standout. The body is light to moderate with very fizzy carbonation; sweet and spicy throughout with some noticable ABV. This is a very tasty BSPA, very similar to their flagship brew. The ABV is a tad noticable and I wish the hops would be a little stronger but this is very good.

Gmann, Oct 04, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Probably need to have my head examined for paying $20 plus for a 750 ml of this at State Line the other day.

The beer pours a rich, solid gold color with impressive, pillowy head... the beer also shows excellent retention and considerable sticky lacing all around. The nose is likewise impressive, and is probably where this beer shows the greatest difference between the regular duvel bottle version. There is considerable tropical fruit and honey, but it's more than compensated for by the white and black pepper, as well as the spicey sandlewood. The flavor profile replicates the nose on a somewhat lean flavor platform. There is considerable bitterness in the finish (as one would expect), and the finish is definitely on the dry side. Mouthfeel is medium bodied at most, and is actually a bit thin (which I think is fine for the style). Drinkability is quite good, and it's hard to believe this beer has an abv. of 9.5%.

A nice enough beer, no doubt.... but it really isn't all that different from the regular duvel, except for the price. Doubt I want to pay the freight for this beer again.

John_M, Oct 03, 2010

The elusive Duvel Tripel Hop, a beer I hunted to no avail in 2007. Thankfully it's been brewed again, May 18 2010, and I found it for $17.99 at Rozi's in Cleveland. I snatched it up immediately despite the cost, I'd kick myself later if I didn't. Besides, it's only 2x the cost of standard Duvel, and should be a worthwhile treat.

The bottle comes with a small booklet describing the three hops used in this special edition (Amarillo in addition to the Saaz and Styrian Golding used in classic Duvel). It doesn't state this explicitly, but I suspect this is standard Duvel that is simply dry hopped with Amarillo. At least that seems the likeliest scenario.

The beer pours with a perfect head, looking like standard Duvel to my eyes. Clear golden color, SRM of about 3, with a huge pillowy dry foam and tons of lacing.

It has the distinctive Duvel aroma, plus a little additional hoppiness (go figure). The extra hops seem more floral and less spicy than I usually get from Amarillo, so maybe this was dry hopped with more than just that hop.

It tastes nice but a little hot. The alcohol is more noticeable than in usual Duvel, at least based on memory of the last time I'd had it. The hops have a "Belgian" feel to them, not as strong as a Belgian IPA but definitely more present than in the average Belgian SPA. Some moderate bitterness in the aftertaste, and a lingering ethanol burn.

The body is on the thicker side for the style but still matches the flavors OK. Drinkability is kept in check mainly by the apparent ABV, you know this is gonna hit you when you're sipping it.

TurdFurgison, Oct 03, 2010