Duvel Single - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel SingleDuvel Single

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 10-15-2008)
2.45/5  rDev -37%

Review is of "Duvel Green" on draft at Paddy Long's in Chicago. Pretty sure this is it.

A: pours a golden color that seems to lighten as it sits. Lots of carbonation. One finger of frothy head that remains on the surface for the entire drink. Cloudy lacing remains on my glass.

S: hops, malt, some lemon and bright fruit too. Predominantly hoppy though.

T: I'm definitely a Duvel (red bottle) fan, but this left me disappointed. Hoppy bitterness right up front amidst the fizzy carbonation. Hints of the lemon I smelled show up mid-drink, but I can't help but describe the finish as "soapy" like the previous reviewer. Duvel from the red bottle is miles ahead of this brew.

M: hello carbonation! Light-bodied and almost watery, but with the sting of CO2 bubbles.

D: probably very high if I were into this beer, given how light it is, but I can barely see myself finishing this glass.

brystmar, Jan 31, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

ricecracker420, Jan 31, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

rmcnamee, May 15, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

Was at Ginger Man in NY where they have Duvel on tap. My GF who doesn't like beer normally, but likes Duvel ordered a Duvel. He asked Green or bottle.. Huh? He said he doesn't recommend green so she got the bottle. Can never go wrong with Duvel. Anyway, later he brought a sample of Duvel Green to taste and I know I had an IPA on my mouth and she a Duvel on hers, but my only impression of Green was, well, unremarkable. You expect DUVEL and get, eh. Want a light beer that doesn't taste like crap, this is for you.

ders, Jun 05, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass

appearance was a pale, golden straw colour with a huge white cap head that took a while to dissolve

smell was of hay, grass, hops

taste was somewhat muted when compared to regular Duvel, almost like they took a regular Duvel and just added water

mouthfeel was solid, decent amount of carbonation (less than a regular DUVEL)

in terms of drinkability, i couldnt see drinking more than the one i purchased at the bar only because i found the beer to be unappealing.

i likely won't be tryign this again as I just wasnt impressed with this beverage.

keithmurray, Mar 11, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -31.9%

On tap

Pours a hazy golden hue with a frothy white head. Earthy hops with some banana bread and clove on the nose._

Taste is slightly similar with a spicy phenolic presence up front. Subtle Belgian yeast flavors delivered in a clean,  crisp and smooth fashion. Some bubble gum after taste. Hop presence provides a nice and smooth balance.

A bit hoppy for a Belgian which is nice

A good introduction to Belgian styles for someone not so familiar

jtierney89, Dec 09, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

maryd837, Jul 07, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -25.4%

A: Looks good, like a paler version of Duvel golden. Very bright, though a few shades lighter pale straw color. Bone white head not quite the usual froth but good, and decent retention.

S: Malt comes through, cereal grains, and a hint of spice.

T: Flabby and underdeveloped in my opinion. It comes off more like a slightly spicy pilsner than a belgian strong golden (maybe thats what they were going for but I doubt it). I think this beer was a bad idea in general. Why take a great recipe and then just decide to use the exact same recipe to make a new beer except for one thing... don't finish the recipe. Its like a chef suddenly deciding to start making a dish they were known for only leaving out the final few steps which made it complete. If you want to make a belgian single I get it... but use a new recipe, find a new creative way to do it. Don't give us 3/4 of a product already on the market dressed up in a new skirt. This notion is what this Duvel green feels like to me. Get your head on straight Duvel Moortgot !

M: light prickle

Howlader, Jul 20, 2014

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013

beernads, May 24, 2013

RobertColianni, Aug 18, 2013

I am a big fan of regular Duvel, and this beer seemed to me a pale imitation of my familiar favorite. I was a little disappointed with it.

Appearance was a hazy straw yellow, but without the towering fluffy head I associate with bottled Duvel. Aroma is light and vaguely biscuity, but lacks the assertive spiciness of the original. Flavor is inoffensive, but extremely mild, and lacks much of substance. Sort of reminded me of "light" beer. Mouthfeel was a touch thin. I'd forgo this one - go for the original.

I tried this on-tap at the BXL Beglian Cafe in midtown Manhattan.

BeerBelcher, Nov 16, 2009

sneaks2210, Nov 15, 2012

t0rin0, Sep 08, 2012

Cam1991, Sep 19, 2012

s4s, May 30, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -21.6%

This was a rare find at RFD in D.C. I was told this ale was only fermented once compared to the classic Duvel (3x), so I had to try it.

Appearance - cloudy, straw colored ale served in a Duvel glass

Smell - Like unripe fruit (specifically an unripe banana peel).

Taste - Strange. Very little of the pleasant yeast taste found in the classic version. Tart like a Granny Smith apple with little effervescence.

Mouthfeel - light and (very) crisp.

Drinkability - So-so. The taste of this ale is so unlike anything else I've ever tasted that I didn't even finish it. With that said, if you find this extremely limited beer on tap at your swilling establishment, give it a shot. It's unlike anything you've ever had.

smanders, Dec 07, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at Monks, it was served in a Duvel Green tulip. It is a pale, straw color with a very sticky 3 finger white head. The only scent I could detect was some spiciness, cloves?. The flavor was thin and disapointing. My wife thought it tasted like Miller Lite. There were hints of spiciness, but honestly it was bland. It is light in body and highly carbonated. I would avoid this one, IMO it is an overated brew.

bonkers, Jan 15, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

Served on-draught into improper glassware at a bar in St. Paul, Minnesota. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were high as I enjoy the regular Duvel.

A: Pours a two finger head of bad thickness, no cream, and bad retention. Colour is a semitransparent yellow.

Sm: Light cream, full barley, a handful of hops, and a light grainy wheat touch.

T: Slightly creamy, with a fairly full barley foundation. No alcohol comes through. Fairly complex. The crisp barley is pleasant. Balanced and well built. On draught, it has depth. I imagine this is best bottle-conditioned.

Mf: Slightly coarse but wet. Moderately suitable for the flavour and style.

Dr: It's a touch straw-laden for my tastes. Very drinkable for the ABV, but it's just nothing special.

kojevergas, Dec 18, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

8 oz pour into the Duvel Green short tulip. $6.95 for the pour.

A: Served with a finger of bright white tight knit foamy head. Decent retention and as the head recedes, lace begins to coat the glass in sheets of sea foam. (Lacing doesn't stick throughout the remainder of the beer.) The body is a light yellow color and brilliantly clear. Whether or not it's because of the green lettered logo on the glass, there is a definite green tinge to the body.

S: The nose has some sweet malts of hay and some sweaty yeast. Without any distinguishing character, the nose fails to impress me.

T: Taste follows the nose closely. Again, unremarkable. Grassy and lemony hops, maybe lime.

M: The mouthfeel is the most striking aspect of this brew. By far. Fine carbonation, well structured and very sturdy. Finishes clean and dry.

D: I wouldn't pay for this one again. Even if it was reasonably priced, it would be overpriced. Sorry Moortgat. The Duvel Draft was unimpressive and yet very expensive. That's a bad combination.

FeDUBBELFIST, Jun 02, 2010