Duvel Single - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 10-15-2008

2.51/5  rDev -36%

Review is of "Duvel Green" on draft at Paddy Long's in Chicago. Pretty sure this is it.

A: pours a golden color that seems to lighten as it sits. Lots of carbonation. One finger of frothy head that remains on the surface for the entire drink. Cloudy lacing remains on my glass.

S: hops, malt, some lemon and bright fruit too. Predominantly hoppy though.

T: I'm definitely a Duvel (red bottle) fan, but this left me disappointed. Hoppy bitterness right up front amidst the fizzy carbonation. Hints of the lemon I smelled show up mid-drink, but I can't help but describe the finish as "soapy" like the previous reviewer. Duvel from the red bottle is miles ahead of this brew.

M: hello carbonation! Light-bodied and almost watery, but with the sting of CO2 bubbles.

D: probably very high if I were into this beer, given how light it is, but I can barely see myself finishing this glass. (888 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -33.2%

Was at Ginger Man in NY where they have Duvel on tap. My GF who doesn't like beer normally, but likes Duvel ordered a Duvel. He asked Green or bottle.. Huh? He said he doesn't recommend green so she got the bottle. Can never go wrong with Duvel. Anyway, later he brought a sample of Duvel Green to taste and I know I had an IPA on my mouth and she a Duvel on hers, but my only impression of Green was, well, unremarkable. You expect DUVEL and get, eh. Want a light beer that doesn't taste like crap, this is for you. (516 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -32.4%

On tap

Pours a hazy golden hue with a frothy white head. Earthy hops with some banana bread and clove on the nose._

Taste is slightly similar with a spicy phenolic presence up front. Subtle Belgian yeast flavors delivered in a clean,  crisp and smooth fashion. Some bubble gum after taste. Hop presence provides a nice and smooth balance.

A bit hoppy for a Belgian which is nice

A good introduction to Belgian styles for someone not so familiar (450 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -31.6%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass

appearance was a pale, golden straw colour with a huge white cap head that took a while to dissolve

smell was of hay, grass, hops

taste was somewhat muted when compared to regular Duvel, almost like they took a regular Duvel and just added water

mouthfeel was solid, decent amount of carbonation (less than a regular DUVEL)

in terms of drinkability, i couldnt see drinking more than the one i purchased at the bar only because i found the beer to be unappealing.

i likely won't be tryign this again as I just wasnt impressed with this beverage. (580 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -24.5%

A: Looks good, like a paler version of Duvel golden. Very bright, though a few shades lighter pale straw color. Bone white head not quite the usual froth but good, and decent retention.

S: Malt comes through, cereal grains, and a hint of spice.

T: Flabby and underdeveloped in my opinion. It comes off more like a slightly spicy pilsner than a belgian strong golden (maybe thats what they were going for but I doubt it). I think this beer was a bad idea in general. Why take a great recipe and then just decide to use the exact same recipe to make a new beer except for one thing... don't finish the recipe. Its like a chef suddenly deciding to start making a dish they were known for only leaving out the final few steps which made it complete. If you want to make a belgian single I get it... but use a new recipe, find a new creative way to do it. Don't give us 3/4 of a product already on the market dressed up in a new skirt. This notion is what this Duvel green feels like to me. Get your head on straight Duvel Moortgot !

M: light prickle

D: Its drinkable but I'll never order one (1,092 characters)

I am a big fan of regular Duvel, and this beer seemed to me a pale imitation of my familiar favorite. I was a little disappointed with it.

Appearance was a hazy straw yellow, but without the towering fluffy head I associate with bottled Duvel. Aroma is light and vaguely biscuity, but lacks the assertive spiciness of the original. Flavor is inoffensive, but extremely mild, and lacks much of substance. Sort of reminded me of "light" beer. Mouthfeel was a touch thin. I'd forgo this one - go for the original.

I tried this on-tap at the BXL Beglian Cafe in midtown Manhattan. (578 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

This was a rare find at RFD in D.C. I was told this ale was only fermented once compared to the classic Duvel (3x), so I had to try it.

Appearance - cloudy, straw colored ale served in a Duvel glass

Smell - Like unripe fruit (specifically an unripe banana peel).

Taste - Strange. Very little of the pleasant yeast taste found in the classic version. Tart like a Granny Smith apple with little effervescence.

Mouthfeel - light and (very) crisp.

Drinkability - So-so. The taste of this ale is so unlike anything else I've ever tasted that I didn't even finish it. With that said, if you find this extremely limited beer on tap at your swilling establishment, give it a shot. It's unlike anything you've ever had. (728 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at Monks, it was served in a Duvel Green tulip. It is a pale, straw color with a very sticky 3 finger white head. The only scent I could detect was some spiciness, cloves?. The flavor was thin and disapointing. My wife thought it tasted like Miller Lite. There were hints of spiciness, but honestly it was bland. It is light in body and highly carbonated. I would avoid this one, IMO it is an overated brew. (425 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -19.9%

Served on-draught into improper glassware at a bar in St. Paul, Minnesota. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were high as I enjoy the regular Duvel.

A: Pours a two finger head of bad thickness, no cream, and bad retention. Colour is a semitransparent yellow.

Sm: Light cream, full barley, a handful of hops, and a light grainy wheat touch.

T: Slightly creamy, with a fairly full barley foundation. No alcohol comes through. Fairly complex. The crisp barley is pleasant. Balanced and well built. On draught, it has depth. I imagine this is best bottle-conditioned.

Mf: Slightly coarse but wet. Moderately suitable for the flavour and style.

Dr: It's a touch straw-laden for my tastes. Very drinkable for the ABV, but it's just nothing special. (752 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -18.1%

8 oz pour into the Duvel Green short tulip. $6.95 for the pour.

A: Served with a finger of bright white tight knit foamy head. Decent retention and as the head recedes, lace begins to coat the glass in sheets of sea foam. (Lacing doesn't stick throughout the remainder of the beer.) The body is a light yellow color and brilliantly clear. Whether or not it's because of the green lettered logo on the glass, there is a definite green tinge to the body.

S: The nose has some sweet malts of hay and some sweaty yeast. Without any distinguishing character, the nose fails to impress me.

T: Taste follows the nose closely. Again, unremarkable. Grassy and lemony hops, maybe lime.

M: The mouthfeel is the most striking aspect of this brew. By far. Fine carbonation, well structured and very sturdy. Finishes clean and dry.

D: I wouldn't pay for this one again. Even if it was reasonably priced, it would be overpriced. Sorry Moortgat. The Duvel Draft was unimpressive and yet very expensive. That's a bad combination. (1,021 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

Sampled and reviewed in an 'All-Bar-One' while in Birmingham. For those that don't know, All-Bar-One is a chain of up market wine-lager bars that are dotted around britians major cities.

The Draught Green Duvel came in its own badged tulip shaped glass and it looked fine apart from no head. What little head there was after the pour had turned into a thin wisp by the time the beer was brought to me, so no huge head on this version at all. The body was a clear, light golden colour, not as effervescent or aromatic as the normal Duvel, or even the bottled Green Duvel, which I first tried in the tasting area at the back of what is now BeerMania in Brussels.

Taken on its own merits, it was a pleasant blonde/pale drink of beer, but knowing its big brother so well I was expecting a little more in the body and mouthfeel. Would I have another? Yes. (853 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

Maybe not a pale ale, per se, but rather, a Belgian Hefe-Blonde? Eagerly anticipated on draught at our local, Independent, my wife & I sampled it during the Fluff Festival. Underwhelming. I expected so much for a relatively rare & anticipated beer, especially from Duvel. Perhaps this is an attempt to win over the summer/hefe beer crowd who like lemon wedges & dancing ponies. The pour was a bright yellow with full white, fluffy head that left some good lace, with an aroma of crackery yeast & lemon-pepper. The flavor was a bit of a Hefe-Blond mix, not horrible if that's what you expect, but simplistic I thought. Yeasty with some spice & lemon, the drinkability was good, nice smooth & crisp. Definitely better for a nice summer day rather than fall evening. All in all, I'd rather save a couple bucks & have an Allagash white. (832 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%

@ Redbones, Somerville MA last night. $6.50 25cl

Large, Duvel-worthy white head that eventually clumped into a foam Pangaea and petered out to a spider web skim. Clear gold color.

Musty, earthy, slightly fruity aroma-makes me wanna mow some lawn. Taste is a similar grass cutting inspiration sweet malt with a little bit of floral stickiness. Mouthfeel lacked the Duvel delicateness and came across more as mineral water. (423 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -12.8%

The ultimate BPA I guess. Very popular around the bar I work, but it is not my favorite.

Pours a nice golden color with a thick white head.

Nose is of belgian malts and subtle banana. Some clove.

Taste is of tropical fruit and subtle belgian malts. Light bodied and easy to drink. Nothing that blows me away, but an ok beer. I would never order this for myself, but I know alot of people who like it. (405 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

On tap at The Old Monk in Dallas. Has a huge, resilient white head that slowly breaks into large chunks. Clear gold in color. Smells, malty, yeasty, spicy and phenolic. Bubblegum notes come through upon a second take. Tastes of apricot and apples, with an afterthought of malt. Dry and light to medium bodied. Feels empty, comparatively speaking, like it needs something else involved, but I can't quite put a finger on it. Needs some balls. (441 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

After hearing my friend say that this beer was solid, I figured I would venture out to try it. I really enjoy Duvel, so I had no doubt this would be stellar. Well, I am never listening to my friend again.

A: Pours an extremely pale clear yellow with a spritzy white head. I had to ask the bartender if she had accidentally poured me Bud Light, but she assured me she did not. Very clear and very meh.

S: Smells watery, sugary, and adjunct-y. Some decent hints of spices in there, but the scent is really muted. Not much going on.

T: Very, very light and grainy. I guess I am used to regular Duvel because this tastes like Duvel mixed with water. There was just not much going on. Very grainy with more residual sweetness than I would have liked. Hints of spices too, but nothing noteworthy.

Overall, Duvel remains a top notch beer, but Duvel Draft is mediocre at best. (872 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%

Ugh. Another Belgian. And not Duvel. Just a drinkable pale ale without a solid hop character that features ye olde Belgian yeast. Le boring.

But duvel is a big name, a bug brewery, and they paid for me to have a free glass. So I'll do it.

But as far as I'm concerned I'm drinking bud with different yeast.

Ok fine it's better built. The head stays around a little. It's clearish but still copperish. It smells like a sweet estery yeast. Citrus notes. Belgian blah blah blah. Taste is hops clean then sweet yeast blah blah.

I won another free drink. This is going well! (572 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Had this on-tap at The Local Option in Chicago. Poured into a green Duvel glass.

This pours, looks and smells almost exactly like a Duvel, which for me is a great thing. It had a nice great big white head and the cling to the glass was awesome. Overall if you placed this beer beside a Duvel it would be difficult to tell the two apart.
However those are where the simalarities end. The taste of this beer reminds me of what a Duvel light tastes like. Even though the ABV is only off by 2% the taste to seems considerably more. There was also no carbonation activity present after the pour, something that Duvel is known for. As a stand alone beer this would be a good offering but I am handicapped by the fact that this is under the Duvel name and because of that I automatically assume some stuff about the beer. It is an unfair comparison but it happens. Overall a good beer but if I want a Duvel I'll just reach for the original. (935 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

A: a nice, vibrant straw color with that classic duvel billowing head, which leaves a perfect Brussels lace as you sip.

S: Mild belgian yeast and spices, particularly coriander. Slight hint of sweetness

T: Very light at first, washing over the mouth and leaving a slight bite on the end. Some, but only some, of the nose makes its way to the mouth.

M: Nice and light with strong carbonation

D: Good in hot weather, or when out in the sun. (442 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

On tap at Apex PDX Spring Fling, day of the living Saisons/Farmhouse March 2012.

Quintessential Duvel head, billowing and broken, over clear deep gold body, numerous trails of bubbles rising up side of glass. Fairly hop forward in the nose, light malt touch. Taste is more hoppy than floral, clean malt bill, though taste isn't as assertive as 'regular' Duvel. Medium-light mouthfeel, good effervescence. Glad I was able to try this, but my preference runs toward Big Brother Duvel, IMO one of the world's best beers. (518 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at 72 hours of Belgium at Max's. A beer I had been looking forward to.

The beer pours a very light gold color with fair at best head retention and lacing. Don't get a lot on the nose either, just some light honey and spice. On the palate, the flavors are nice, albeit a bit lighter then I was expecting. There is sort of light straw or grass flavor, coupled with the light honey and spice. The beer has a light mouthfeel and drinkability is high.

This is a nice beer, but I confess I was expecting a bit more from the folks at Duvel. This is a solid beer, but really is nothing to get very excited about. The bottled, higher abv. version, is vastly superior IMHO.

Note from 11/11/11. Now called duvel single. No change otherwise; beer tastes exactly the same as before.... good, but nothing extraordinary. (816 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -7.9%

A different version of one of my all-time favorite beers? Yes, please.

Appearance - A light straw colored pour with a nice rocky head. The head wasn't the huge, incredible pillow of the "regular" Duvel, but it was still nice. The lacing was good, but also did not live up to the high standards of the brand.

Smell - Not overwhelming at all. Pretty mellow, some definite bread with a lot of that Belgian yeast. Some spice as well. More mellow than expected.

Taste - Good and crisp. It's got a nice bread taste, and the yeast shows up for sure. There's a real graininess in the taste that isn't doing it for me.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly and disappointingly thin. I love the Duvel mouthfeel with it's prickly carbonation. This just wasn't even close. Not bad, but not very good. Such a shame.

Drinkability - Goes down easy, so no complaints. No hint of the abv.

Why bother? It's worth trying, but the far more widely available variety is significantly better. Just disappointing all around. Still, it's nice and quite drinkable. (1,033 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a Duvel tulip at Northdown.

Appearance: My Duvel single arrives in a 25 cL Duvel branded tulip with gold lettering. The beer itself has a pale golden color, mostly transparent and missing any real yeast particulate. The trademark white monster head is present, although it does not last as long.

Smell: Crackery malt provides the base aroma, and cracked pepper and spicy yeast add some zest. Modest white grape and honey smell. There is a light grassy hop character as well.

Taste: There is a mild sweetness up front despite having a crackery malt flavor. Honey and white grape add some gently sweet fruit notes. Soft spicy yeast, coriander, and white pepper step in during the middle of the sip, and the end of the sip lingers on a grassy hop note.

Mouthfeel: The body is a little bit dry, in stark contrast to the regular Duvel. Full carbonation helps the flavors pop a little bit, and this has a clean, medium feel.

Overall: To me, this beer strips away what Duvel is. Lacking the huge dryness and yeast character, this is simply a step down. My guess is that this was created in order to appeal to more of the mainstream market. Having this on tap is a ruse to trip up newcomers to the craft beer scene - order the regular Duvel. (1,256 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A bit of a light and unremarkable Belgium ale, drinkable but at moments it feels like it is lowering standards to be more appealing to the mainstream, which may not be a bad thing up to some extent.

Presentation: 16oz draft serving at a local establishment. No description on the menu or any note on the chalkboards, and the bartender has difficulties clarifying that this is a Duvel draft, different from the bottled Duvel, which they also offer in this place specialized exclusively on Belgium beers. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Lightly hazy straw pour with a nice frothy head, good retention, and nice lacing with a consistent surface memory.

S - Lightly malty and a faint spicy and yeasty touch.

T - Light zesty hops, with a small fruity and grassy touch.

M - Light body with generous carbonation and a crisp finish.

D - Quaffable, but a bit bland. Works well as a refresher but it is not particularly enticing.

Notes: I am not particularly fond of its bigger brother but I can enjoy one now and then, and understand rather well its status and the complexities it offers. This? Feels like an unremarkable watered down version... I´m sure it can probably feel wonderful as a light Belgium option under hot weather. (1,227 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Good beer but not nearly as good as a normal Duvel. This beer tastes a Duvel robbed of much of its complexity and depth of character. It's a light, refreshing version of Duvel that I enjoyed, but it's not something that I would seek out. The wide distribution and relatively cheap price of Duvel are pretty incredible for such a world class beer. I appreciate the brewery's attempt to make a light version, but the magic of the original just isn't there for me. This beer pours a clear bright yellow with a decent head. The aroma is yeasty and malty. There's a grassy note to it. The flavor is bright and adds in some apple cider flavor and light Belgian spicing. Mouthfeel is lively. Drinkability is good. (706 characters)

Duvel Single from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV