Duvel Single - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel SingleDuvel Single

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 10-15-2008)
2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass

appearance was a pale, golden straw colour with a huge white cap head that took a while to dissolve

smell was of hay, grass, hops

taste was somewhat muted when compared to regular Duvel, almost like they took a regular Duvel and just added water

mouthfeel was solid, decent amount of carbonation (less than a regular DUVEL)

in terms of drinkability, i couldnt see drinking more than the one i purchased at the bar only because i found the beer to be unappealing.

i likely won't be tryign this again as I just wasnt impressed with this beverage.

3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

@ Redbones, Somerville MA last night. $6.50 25cl

Large, Duvel-worthy white head that eventually clumped into a foam Pangaea and petered out to a spider web skim. Clear gold color.

Musty, earthy, slightly fruity aroma-makes me wanna mow some lawn. Taste is a similar grass cutting inspiration sweet malt with a little bit of floral stickiness. Mouthfeel lacked the Duvel delicateness and came across more as mineral water.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured a clear yellow with 2 finger white head. Some nice lacing was left behind after every sip.

Smell was of straw and spices. Very light aroma.

Taste was good. Spice notes of clove and orange peel with an earthiness and some good malt flavor.

Mouthfeel felt thinner that the regular Duvel and the flavor was less intense. Drinkability is alright, but the alcohol and spice notes get a little aggressive as it warms.

Duvel draft has a clear golden body with a large, white head that has good retention and lacing.

The aroma has some sweet malt, a good dose of hops and some fruity aromas.

Duvel Draft reminds me quite a bit of Duvel, but I wouldn't say that it is exactly a lighter or smaller version. Even if it is, I don't think that is exactly what it tastes like. A touch of apple, some pale sweet malts and grains are present, just as in a Duvel, but the hops are more crisp and powerful in this beer. I'd say the hops are the strongest flavor in fact. The finish is delightfully dry.

Pretty light and well carbonated with a dry finish.

Duvel Draft is pretty drinkable, but the places where I encounter it seem to attach a hefty price tag to it (~8 bucks a tulip), which is a drawback.

On-tap at 512 Kitchen & Cocktails. Served in its own Duvel Draft glass. On to the beer:

It looks just like a Duvel. Big, fluffy, dense sexy head served on top this shimmering golden colored beer. Outstanding head retention and lacing. The aroma....yum. It's got some pears, cinnamon, and dry notes of leather and blanket. It doesn't resemble much of the triple fermented Duvel from the bottle.

A very dry beer. Pears are the sweet tasting note found in this beer, but for the most part, oddball notes of leather, blanket, and aspirin bitterenss are found in this beer. Perhaps the big difference is the carbonation; the draft version is not very carbonated. Medium bodied, alcohol is hidden, and it's drinkable (but don't rush it).

I figured Duvel Draft would be lighter, but not taste so much different. This is closer to an Orval than an original Duvel, but I'm not complaining.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Very similar to regular Duvel golden ale out of the bottle-- just a little lighter all around. Lighter in color, smaller head, not as much carbonation, not as much alcohol by volume, not quite as much hop character.

however, Duvel Green (as I like to call it) is still a great beer, and is quite drinkabile, perhaps even more drinkable than standard Duvel white-label.

certainly worth a try, but only if you've had "original" Duvel first.

Appearance: Clear, modestly-hued yellow body served up in the miniature, kid brother-version of the standard Duvel glass sans the etching in the bottom of the glass. 2 finger-high, fluffed white head. Tons of splotchy lace on the way down.

Smell: Displays a very delicate maltiness, with only understated hints of crisp grains and simple honey. Modest note of fruit. Small zip of spicy hop character.

Taste: A touch of mildly sweet, light maltiness with an equally light touch of honey and grains. Slight undercurrent of fruitiness hinting at juiced apples and white grapes. Spicy hops with a complimentary bitterness to balance. Finishes drying and nicely crisp.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-high carbonation.

Drinkability: Simply a lighter version of the classic Duvel in all aspects, from the flavor, to the body, to the alcohol, to even the small-sized glassware. Which isn't a bad thing, really. Sometimes a Whopper Jr. instead of a Whopper will do just fine.

2.45/5  rDev -37%

Review is of "Duvel Green" on draft at Paddy Long's in Chicago. Pretty sure this is it.

A: pours a golden color that seems to lighten as it sits. Lots of carbonation. One finger of frothy head that remains on the surface for the entire drink. Cloudy lacing remains on my glass.

S: hops, malt, some lemon and bright fruit too. Predominantly hoppy though.

T: I'm definitely a Duvel (red bottle) fan, but this left me disappointed. Hoppy bitterness right up front amidst the fizzy carbonation. Hints of the lemon I smelled show up mid-drink, but I can't help but describe the finish as "soapy" like the previous reviewer. Duvel from the red bottle is miles ahead of this brew.

M: hello carbonation! Light-bodied and almost watery, but with the sting of CO2 bubbles.

D: probably very high if I were into this beer, given how light it is, but I can barely see myself finishing this glass.

3.08/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at Monks, it was served in a Duvel Green tulip. It is a pale, straw color with a very sticky 3 finger white head. The only scent I could detect was some spiciness, cloves?. The flavor was thin and disapointing. My wife thought it tasted like Miller Lite. There were hints of spiciness, but honestly it was bland. It is light in body and highly carbonated. I would avoid this one, IMO it is an overated brew.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

On tap at BXL East on 51st and 2nd, NYC. Poured into Duvel Green tulip.

Appearance: Pours a pale, translucent yellow with a frothy 2 inch head that settles slowly, with stray bubbles rising up in the middle. Lacing looks like a kitchen sponge, forming what I wrote in my notes as "a landscape," and I wasn't drunk at the time.

Smell: Citrus, Belgian yeast and mild funk, with a lot of ester character (primarily banana).

Taste: The first thing I notice is the bright carbonation, minimal hoppiness, and somewhat soapy, lemon flavor. Tastes non-alcoholic; 6.8% ABV could not be more masked. As I make my way through the beer, the taste is yeasty with dominant notes of orange and lemon and a somewhat malty finish. As the beer warms, the esters get a bit more profound, with the slightest hint of banana coming out. The flavor never gets anywhere near as warm and defined as the scent.

If the question is "Why drink Duvel Green instead of normal Duvel?" the answer is certainly not to be found in the taste. It's like Duvel Lite, but too "Lite". Pleasant, but underwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Juicy and creamy. Very light and rather carbonated but not overboard. For what this beer is supposed to be, the mouthfeel is perfect.

Drinkability: Like the mouthfeel, excellent. This beer defines refreshment from a beer, and again the alcohol is utterly masked. The answer to my aforementioned question might be found in the beer's feel and drinkability.

---

Duvel Green puts me a bit at a loss. On the one hand, as a beer to throw back at a restaurant while you eat or socialize, it's kind of perfect; beautiful mouthfeel and the epitome of drinkability. On the other hand, if I'm completely honest, I just would never order a beer this light on flavor. Perhaps that's simply personal preference, though.

I suspect that Duvel Green shines when you pair it with good, deep-flavored food. I stopped in at BXL on my way to Grand Central for a couple afternoon beers, and Duvel Green's flavor just isn't big or good enough to serve that purpose (for me, anyway).

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Just had this today on tap at the brewhouse in santa barbara - man it was wonderful! I had never had it before, and didn't notice in any reviews of it the fact that it has a noticeable brett character - but the one I had did, and it's awesome! Has most of the qualities I love about Duvel - the crisp pilsner malt character, the light/dryness, fresh crispness, 'appley' qualities, and nice big foamy mousse...but with the addition of the funky, brett character, that put it over the top. Totally awesome, like a farmhouse Duvel! I will drink 1 or 2 on tap each time I go there until it's gone...wonderful beer.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap at the Sierra Grille in Northampton MA. I was also told that this ale was only fermented once and that they were one of the only bars in the area to get it.

A - Served in a Duvel Green glass. Cloudy blond color with a heavenly white head.

S - Fruit, Specifially Banana, Yeast.

T - A subtle yeast flavor and an almost sour fruity taste. A little spiciness which I love about belgian beers. Very pleasant.

M - Very light, crisp, and refreshing.

D - I made it through this one pretty quickly. I was told it was an attempt by Duvel to make a begginer belgian which is not quite as strong as their traditional brew. I thought it was a nice subtle belgium style beer which doesn't overpower but still provides those classic belgian flavours.

3.05/5  rDev -21.6%

This was a rare find at RFD in D.C. I was told this ale was only fermented once compared to the classic Duvel (3x), so I had to try it.

Appearance - cloudy, straw colored ale served in a Duvel glass

Smell - Like unripe fruit (specifically an unripe banana peel).

Taste - Strange. Very little of the pleasant yeast taste found in the classic version. Tart like a Granny Smith apple with little effervescence.

Mouthfeel - light and (very) crisp.

Drinkability - So-so. The taste of this ale is so unlike anything else I've ever tasted that I didn't even finish it. With that said, if you find this extremely limited beer on tap at your swilling establishment, give it a shot. It's unlike anything you've ever had.

Served in a Duvel Green snifter at Map Room 10/31/09.

A: Served a completely clear, pale straw gold. 2 1/2 fingers of pure white, soap sudsy head that left tons of clingy lace.

S: Toasted malt and restrained spiciness. Touch of mild fruitiness (green apples and pears)

T: See above. In the taste, spices are more prominent as is the dry toasted malt.

M: Prickly and peppery. Dry and spicy. Hints of fruity tang. Mild sweetness, as well.

D: Ver good, but it's no regular Duvel!

I am a big fan of regular Duvel, and this beer seemed to me a pale imitation of my familiar favorite. I was a little disappointed with it.

Appearance was a hazy straw yellow, but without the towering fluffy head I associate with bottled Duvel. Aroma is light and vaguely biscuity, but lacks the assertive spiciness of the original. Flavor is inoffensive, but extremely mild, and lacks much of substance. Sort of reminded me of "light" beer. Mouthfeel was a touch thin. I'd forgo this one - go for the original.

I tried this on-tap at the BXL Beglian Cafe in midtown Manhattan.

3.3/5  rDev -15.2%

Maybe not a pale ale, per se, but rather, a Belgian Hefe-Blonde? Eagerly anticipated on draught at our local, Independent, my wife & I sampled it during the Fluff Festival. Underwhelming. I expected so much for a relatively rare & anticipated beer, especially from Duvel. Perhaps this is an attempt to win over the summer/hefe beer crowd who like lemon wedges & dancing ponies. The pour was a bright yellow with full white, fluffy head that left some good lace, with an aroma of crackery yeast & lemon-pepper. The flavor was a bit of a Hefe-Blond mix, not horrible if that's what you expect, but simplistic I thought. Yeasty with some spice & lemon, the drinkability was good, nice smooth & crisp. Definitely better for a nice summer day rather than fall evening. All in all, I'd rather save a couple bucks & have an Allagash white.

3.85/5  rDev -1%

On tap at Redbones in Somerville for $6.50. Served in the proper glass. Huge fluffy white head. To start, two things I notice different from regular Duvel: first is the much lighter yellow color of the body, and second is that it does not seem to be as carbonated. Smell was yeasty and spicy. Tasted like a normal Duvel also. Crisp and sharp on the palate too. The abv is a bit lower, which is what the brewery was presumably going for. It is actually noticeable, which not a bad thing. If they are trying to make an even smoother-to-drink Duvel, they have succeeded. It went well with a plate of BBQ food.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap @ Horseshoe Pub in Hudson, MA. It was a couple weeks ago and I'm looking through my notes, so I hope I can remember.

A: Brilliantly crystal clear with pale yellow golden color. Light but thick and frothy head that takes its time disappearing.

N: SImilar to a lager, crisp and clean with light toasted malts and some yeasty and crisp aromas, reminiscent of a nice Marzen. A slightly sour aroma is also detected.

T: Taste is also Marzen like with lots of toasty malts and crisp taste, as well as a slight fruity and slight sour taste. Some more Belgian yeast flavors (the fruit especially) and a slight lager taste I can't put my finger on. A slightly sweet malt taste also comes through, and it's very crisp and refreshing.

M: Light mouth with good carbonation.

F: Finishes slightly dry and almost disappears from the palate completely. A light banana taste seems to poke it head out at the finish as well, and a touch more Belgian yeast to finish it off.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Very good lacing on this one. Light golden. Citrus grains hops and spices in the nose. Belgian spice and yeast dominant in the taste. Grains and hops are nicely balanced. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. Very drinkable. Pretty much a lighter version of duvel. Hopefully I can find this one in bottle form in the future for when I'm going Belgian crazy.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

My 200th Review! Had on-tap at L'Enfant Cafe in Washington, DC.

A: Gorgeous radiant gold with a large head that leaves lacing in the neck region of the Duvel glass. Duvel was always, for me, the brewer of quintessential Belgian blonde ales.

S: Belgian yeasts with cloves and white/black European peppercorn spiciness. Phenols also hit the nose.

T: Light biscuity taste with a subdued peppercorn spiciness, cloves, coriander, some faint citrus peels and banana.

M: Light carbonation hits the palate followed by a smooth, slightly watery maltiness. Crisp and a bit dry.

D: Very fresh and flavorful Belgian blonde in a textbook example of the style. Excellent job, Duvel.

3.58/5  rDev -8%

A: a nice, vibrant straw color with that classic duvel billowing head, which leaves a perfect Brussels lace as you sip.

S: Mild belgian yeast and spices, particularly coriander. Slight hint of sweetness

T: Very light at first, washing over the mouth and leaving a slight bite on the end. Some, but only some, of the nose makes its way to the mouth.

M: Nice and light with strong carbonation

D: Good in hot weather, or when out in the sun.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Had this served in the proper glass at Armsby Abbey. The light, bright gold colored beer was topped with a light foamy head.. Some nice sticky lacing remained as I enjoyed the beer.

The aroma was fantastic. Fresh & bright, full of spice.

The spice notes certainly carry over to the flavor and are joined by some light fruit and some candied sugar. Bright, fresh and crisp. The ABV is very well hidden. Scary hidden. I have to look again to ensure I read the 6.8% correctly. Nice light citrus notes compliment the yeasty spice and depth.

Fairly light and crisp mouth feel.

Highly drinkable and again, you should probably watch out for the 6.8% ABV.

I would like to try this next to the standard Duvel to really note the difference.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap at Brasserie Beck. Served in a Duvel tulip with a green logo.

A: Golden with a big head. Similar to regular Duvel.

S: Pears, hops, and yeast.

T: Pleasantly bitter. Not quite as complex or fruity as its big brother.

M: Light and bubbly.

D: Not quite as interesting as regular Duvel, but easier to put down. Give it a try if you're a fan of Belgian ales.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

Sampled and reviewed in an 'All-Bar-One' while in Birmingham. For those that don't know, All-Bar-One is a chain of up market wine-lager bars that are dotted around britians major cities.

The Draught Green Duvel came in its own badged tulip shaped glass and it looked fine apart from no head. What little head there was after the pour had turned into a thin wisp by the time the beer was brought to me, so no huge head on this version at all. The body was a clear, light golden colour, not as effervescent or aromatic as the normal Duvel, or even the bottled Green Duvel, which I first tried in the tasting area at the back of what is now BeerMania in Brussels.

Taken on its own merits, it was a pleasant blonde/pale drink of beer, but knowing its big brother so well I was expecting a little more in the body and mouthfeel. Would I have another? Yes.

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%

A different version of one of my all-time favorite beers? Yes, please.

Appearance - A light straw colored pour with a nice rocky head. The head wasn't the huge, incredible pillow of the "regular" Duvel, but it was still nice. The lacing was good, but also did not live up to the high standards of the brand.

Smell - Not overwhelming at all. Pretty mellow, some definite bread with a lot of that Belgian yeast. Some spice as well. More mellow than expected.

Taste - Good and crisp. It's got a nice bread taste, and the yeast shows up for sure. There's a real graininess in the taste that isn't doing it for me.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly and disappointingly thin. I love the Duvel mouthfeel with it's prickly carbonation. This just wasn't even close. Not bad, but not very good. Such a shame.

Drinkability - Goes down easy, so no complaints. No hint of the abv.

Why bother? It's worth trying, but the far more widely available variety is significantly better. Just disappointing all around. Still, it's nice and quite drinkable.

Duvel Single from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV