Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,686 | Hads: 7,374
3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Served in a Duvel glass. The beer pours a fizzy straw yellow color with a billowing white head. I get big lemon and lime notes with a dose of sugar and spice in the nose. The flavor is a bit lighter with with citrus and spice. Dry and crisp flavor. This beer is truly classic.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

What can I say about this beer that hasn't already been said?

Pours a clear golden color with a thick white head that seemed to stop just short of the top of the glass. Maybe I had some residue or something in my glass, but I turned my back on the glass for a minute, turned back around and the head had grown aggressively and was rising about 2.5 inches above the rim of the glass.

Smell is crisp and clean with a hint of hops and that familiar Belgian sweetness. Taste has a noticeable sweetness with a touch of hops and spice. Mouthfeel has definite carbonation and finishes very clean.

A very good beer, but there are many other Belgian's that I feel are much better.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light gold color with a huge fluffy white head that lasts and lasts feed by lots of rising bubbles. Tons of lace every where a very nice looking beer.

Aroma is nice light fruity, apple and banana most noticable on top of nice bready malt. Light spicey pepper and grassy hops sneaking into the mix also.Very nice and inviting.

Taste is where it falls short. Kind of, the overpowering carbonation that distracts from the wonderful flavors reminds me of Corsendonk's Brown Ale, not quite as bad though. Taste coming thru the fizz is nice bready malt, fruit banana's dominating again, finishes with light pepper and grassy hops. Will admit by the time I finished the last of the 750ml the carbonation had almost died down to acceptable levels. Don't think a beer should have to sit for an hour to breath though.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp but thecarbonation makes it less the good not bad really but definatly not good.

Drinkability is the same as taste and mouthfeel marked down for the fizz.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Clear gold, ridiculously huge white head. Took almost ten minutes to get the head to settle enough. Aroma of yeast, bread and touch of banana and spice. Little sweet followed by funky Belgian yeast finish. Little lingering bitterness. A very solid Belgian golden, but just not really my thing.

Reviewed from notes
A - Pours soft yellow with a froamy white head

S - Smells citrus and spice with yeastiness.

T - Citrus and spice with yeasty, bready malt. Much like it smells. Slight tartness, like Granny Smith apples maybe.

M: Thin, crisp carbonation.

D: Drinkable standard Belgian. Decent while not great.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured into a tulip glass. Produced a fizzy white head, 1/2 finger but it seems to be sticking around nicely. Color is straw yellow, very clear with noticeable carbonation bubbles floating to the surface.

Aroma is of bubblegum, coriander, pepper, lemon rind, yeast and a light fruit, maybe pear and the faintest smell of banana. Slightly dry as well.

The mouthfeel is light and delicate with medium carbonation but a bit harsh going down.

Bubblegum carries over from the aroma, along with coriander and a dryness that reminds me of wine. Tart grape is definitely present and followed throughout the pallete. Finishes tart, slightly sweet, bitter and faintly harsh yet clean with little to no lingering flavor except the occasional bubblegum and tart apple. The flavors marry much better as it warms to room temperature, easing the bit of harshness to a muted state.

It's dry. leaves me wanting more to quench my thirst yet no amount satisfies. This is a style of beer that i can respect but don't favor all that much.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased four hours ago and it got mixed up on the drive home; the yeast is well distributed, I probably should have waited at least a day or two to let it settle before opening. I used a Chimay goblet. Exp date Jan 2010.

Pale and pretty much see-through hay colour. High fluffy white head started at three fingers and never went below one or two. Effervescent carbonation, fast rising tiny bubbles. Smell of yeast, hops plus, sour dough, over ripe fruit, maybe peach or banana. A full, chewy mouth feel but with sharp acidity. The taste had me going: cinammon, thyme, more over-ripe fruit but the bitterness has an edge that is sharp and abrupt. I thought the finish was disappointing, not what I anticipated on opening. it reminded me of banana peel. There was some spice in the aftertaste but again with a lot of fermenting fruit sourness.

The 8.1 per cent alcohol was plainly evident and blew me away. I wondered if this was opened prematurely and just needed to mature. I'm curious to put one of these away and see what happens to it by next year.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottle Inspection: Best before 09 2008 (enjoyed 04 2006) pouring directions “pour unhurriedly “and details on the back, glass suggestion, web site to get the proper glass, 8.5%.

Aroma: Classic Belgian, almost a Unibroue yeast smell, aromatic malt, white pepper spice

Appearance: Many tiny carbonation streams feed a full white chunky head. Lace hangs over the downward edge in big soapy rings. Glass is a pale gold

Flavor: Aroma broadcasts the flavor pretty accurately. Clean light malt, crisp hops, Belgian yeast, and pepper. No alcohol noted which might be why some call this the Devil!

Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation at almost champagne level, light body, lingering finish

Overall Impression: I first tried this about 3 years ago just as I was getting into BA, and I was disappointed; too much bite, just too funky. Now I find it to be much more enjoyable. I like the Belgian aspects, but the carbonation level is just a bit annoying to me. Even though I’m not wowed, I respect the craftsmanship and enjoyed the stubby little bottle (which will see many future homebrews). I think this is a bit over rated, but a solid beer worth trying.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Decadent and fancy looking but not necessarily the top for me. Taste wise, it's a great belgian. Nice light color, enough carbonation but not too much, but taste was nothing to shout about for me. Great though for celebrations.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Very pretty good color but too much carbonation. The aroma tells the tale of what it was suppose to taste. Nice beer, but didn't fall in love with it.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

A: Crystal clear light yellow with very full bubbly head very highly carbonated(3/3)
S: Malty nose with sweet citrusy notes (10/12)
T: Super raisiny, full malt character with burnt sugar finish (14/20)
M: Very wet mouth feel, a little dry on finish(4/5)
O: I wasn’t a big fan of this beer the first time I had it, but it’s growing on me. Although the raisin dominates, there is more going on behind the scenes. The nose especially is complex and satisfying. (7/10)

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured out a light golden color,,man is this stuff carbonated.Major head and i poured it slowly,,unbelievable amount of carbonation coming up the glass.Smell is sweet,,nothing outstanding.Taste is remarkably light but pleasant considering its alcohol content.Nice mouthfeel.Overall a nice beer,ill have to get a true tulip and re-review.Major lacing thruout the glass still present as i finish the beer.

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%

It was like finding the Holy Grail when I finally saw this available. (Note that I couldn't find a real Duvel Glass for this so you may have to void certain things I saw like the nose)

Appearance: WOW! HEAD GALORE! Tons of effervencense comes up through a beautiful hazy straw color.

Smell: I smell grain, there's probably something else there but that's all i'm picking up.

Taste: It tasted like sourdough bread almost.

Mouthfeel: Best creamy head ever. The beer itself is actually kinda thick and smooth. I get a little tiny bit of a grainy bite but not much.

Drinkability: I could easily drink 4 of these and be retarded but I would feel retarded because why would I spend that kind of money unless I bought it outside of a bar. I would hope that I would be able to appreciate it well enough after 2. Further I'd probably cherish this too much to drink it more once a month.

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Received a liter bottle of Duvel for Christmas and could not believe I had yet to review this world-famous brew! Here goes... .

Poured into a chilled La Trappe goblet.

Appearance 4.5: Pours out a brilliant, light golden color. Nice 1" head faded slowly into a 1/4" that stuck around the entire session. Good lacing and lots and lots of little champagne-type bubbles all over the place. Just an amazing looking beer in the glass.

Smell 3.5: Very subdued nose. I detect yeast, some malt and a certain very slight hop scent. Kind of a letdown in this category.

Taste 3.75: Front is almost completely void of any taste. I do detect a slight hint of malt, but that's about it. Middle is where a pleasant and warming maltiness seeps in along with a nice feel of alcohol. Finish is slightly sweet and there is a nice taste of light Pilsner malt along with a very light hoppiness. Aftertaste was of medium length and featured more malt and a slight taste of yeast.

Mouthfeel 3.75: The mondo-carbonation made this beer very enjoyable. It certainly concealed many of the beer's defects.

Overall 4.0: Great beer, but I found it a bit off in several vital categories. Smell was far too subdued for the style and the taste was too bland and generic. I was hoping for something more "Belgian"...i.e. a big hit of malt or hops or spicy yeast. Instead, I am left thinking that Duvel is the lager-drinker's Belgian ale. Not that this is bad. It's just that -to me-- Duvel is a bit "dialed down" for the international market. Again, just my opinion and this is not to say that I would not buy Duvel again, I would. Certainly recommended if you have not had it before.

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours very light golden, with the infamous Duvel towering white head. Sediment floats about in a strange vapor-like form. Just the head by itself is more complex than most beers, sits on top the whole time, slowly getting all awesome and chunky looking and leaving good lacing. Smell is strong of yeast, lemon, pear. Not a fan of the pilsner malt used, I'm not really a fan of pils in general and gives it the scent a bit of a macro vibe. Tartness hits your mouth right away followed by many tastes, peppery Belgian yeast, apple, white grape, warming alcohol finish. Definitely alot of complexity here. Pretty good mouthfeel, but I have to knock it down to a 3.5. There is a little too much carbonation and alcohol presence for me, but I suppose that is understandable for the style. Feels very heavy too with a very dry finish. I like the complexity and I can understand why people love this beer, maybe I'm not a huge fan of the style. I had Duvel Draft (aka Duvel Green) and preferred that because of the toned down carbonation and alcohol taste.

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%

12oz single bottle into a tulip style glass, fairly fresh bottle also.

A- Bright golden that has some yellow highlights here and there. A steady pour yielded over an inch of fluffy white foam that kept rising, over the rim of the glass actually. some lace and nice looking.

S- A lot of Belgian yeast with some spices in the mix. Not the boldest scents coming from this which is surprising. Some faint fruit off in the distance.

T- Improves upon the smell with more fruits coming through including banana and some apple and pears working well with each other. Belgian yeast blast through with some light hops sneaking through. Some freshly squeezed lemon thrown in as well.

M- A large step below medium bodied with a ton of carbonation which you can tell is there just by looking at it while it is heavy on the tounge. With some warming Duvel gets smoother and is easier to pick up on the tastes.

D- I was not blown away by this but Duvel certainly is worthy of it's place within this style, of which I buy a lot of replica's of which do not compare. A bit high in alcohol which is O.K. by me but a tad to much carbonation.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

A healthy golden with beautiful white fluffy foamy head. Champagne-like bubbles continuesly rising. Lacing all over the glass. The body looks almost exactly like Delirium Tremens.

Yeasty earthy nose.

Duvel has a bready taste. The yeast is very present. I suppose it is as yeasty and earthy tasting as it smells. Kind of more relaxed and mellower than Delirium.

Very easy going down, and deceptive (concerning the alcohol content). I liked it, but there are other pale Belgian strong ales I would choose first.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Hazy pale yellow with a full white head and good carbonation throughout.

Spicy hop aroma (Saaz and Styrian Goldings) with a light fruitiness.

Fruity flavors dominate (orange zest, pears) and alcohol is evident as it warms.

Medium bodied but a very light impression for the strength. Also, very effervescent with a smooth and dry finish.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

From an 11.2oz bottle good til January 2010.

Pours a clear yellow with tons of head and lots of lacing. Not typically a fan of the pale yellow look, but this one had an amazing head and great retention. At a point, it looked like I had scooped out some whip cream and put it on top.

Smell is fairly sweet with a sharp citrus edge. Bit yeasty.

Strong alcohol taste that is accompanied by the citrus elements and a slight fruit presence, finishes with a pleasant sourness. Carbonation was a bit much for my mouth to handle though.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Duvel is legendary...the name, and especially its appearance. Beautiful thick Belgian head, and a strong yeasty smell. Extremely strong stuff that will knock you on your ass if you have too many. Too spicy and yeasty to drink many of them anyway, but great to get that big bottle every now and then to enjoy a truly renowned beer.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Bought a single at the NSLC.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy peachy orange/yellow colour in an over sized wine glass. Huge fluffy, bone white head with amazing retention.

Aroma: Rich malts with tons of spicyness and loads of citrus. Quite a complex aroma, a little too complex for this intermediate nose.

Taste: Very complex flavours here. Managed to pick up on caramel. candied fruit, maybe some coriander. Yeasty and smokey, hard to get a handle on the taste.

Mouthfeel: Lots of body, a delight with a very warm alcohol finish.

Final Statement: Although I respect Belgians a lot, I'm still not a huge fan of them. I see their strong points, and will savour one here and there, but I'm still a die hard English style ale kind of guy. Duvel is the best Belgian I have had though, I highly recommend this one.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured an effervescent straw yellow with a huge, rich, long-lasting head. Aroma was dry malt, musty hops, and a good bit of Belgian phenolics. Great beer to look at and smell. Decent amount of alcohol in the nose as well. Light-to-medium body, which is pretty remarkable considering its alcohol content. Flavor had alcohol up front, some malt sweetness (though it was pretty dry), and a bunch of hop flavor. Not as much Belgian funkiness as some, but you'd definitely know where this one came from. Maybe some fruit in the taste. Had a bit of creamy smoothness in the mouthfeel that was quite pleasant. Also, very little fusels/harshness. Drinkability was probably as good as it could be considering the puch it packs.

Overall, a very nice brew and a good gateway beer for someone who is looking to branch out into Belgians.

$10.49/Four Pack
Dan's Liquor
Plover, Wisconsin

Appearance - Make sure you pour this beer as directed. It has a pale golden shimmer highlighted by a fantastic array of dancing carbonation. The head is a perfect white that stays forever. It's so firm you'll think is a meringue.

Smell - It has a refreshingly smooth aroma. A subtle sweetness captures this sense and begs to taste.

Taste - The first mouthful is unexpectedly awkward. After a few sips it fits exactly where I want it to, and is very hard to put it down. It starts off sweet and finishes bitter.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation creating the action upon the pour comes back to haunt it causing a coarseness on the tongue. However, the feeling it offers down the back of my throat is smooth and sultry.

~ While I'll enjoy the 4 pack I purchased for $10.50 from Dan's Liquor I can't see myself pitching in another dimer and some change to the Central European brewery.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

From the stubby into the classic Duvel tulip.

A - Mountainous soapy head caps a murky amber. Great looking.

S - Cloves, apple and toffee.

T - Cloves, honey, sour apple. Dry. The warmth from the alcohol content is ever present but very drinkable all the same.

M - High in carbonation, thin bodied. Dry.

O - Not a massive fan of this classic but I will say that it's got the typical belgian yeast grunt with a touch of booziness. Good, not great.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Ap. Very light pale golden color with a fantastic head and lacing that stays for the whole session.
Sm. Very different from what I've been having. Spice, maybe yeast and alcohol.
Ta. Follows the smell, spice, tangy, bitter.
Mf. Nice carbonation, light in the mouth.
Dr. Easy, crisp, clean, delightful.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV