1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,779 | Reviews: 2,550 | Show All Ratings:
rdilauro

Connecticut

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The pour was a very light golden tan and the head kept coming and coming and coming. The aroma was super, hint of spicy hops and lots of cirtrus. I also notice that the color almost reminded me of a wheat beer.

The taste was full, dry but there was no question that there was a lot of citrus and fruit going on here almost to the point where the finish was almost sweet.

Honestly, this brew for me started out much nicer then it finished and that is why I could not be that kind in my rating of this one

06-23-2011 22:29:44 | More by rdilauro
mactrail

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Briary and stickery. Really dry. Fairly tart, but mostly it's devoid of any malt sweetness. Maybe they have a special sugar-eating bacteria. Slight fruity taste is interesting and pleasant along with the yeasty Belgian flavor. Looks nice with classic lacing all around the tulip glass.

Rather sharp and austere like a Belgian Pilsener. On tap at Cueva on Adams Avenue in San Diego.

11-04-2011 06:15:25 | More by mactrail
Jeffo

Netherlands

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

I can't believe how many times I've had this beer but still haven't reviewed it. Plenty of people have done it before me I guess, so there's nothing lost in my procrastinating.

From a bottle into a La Chouffe glass
Best before November 2014

APPEARANCE: Pours a huge, four finger, loose looking, fluffy, bright white head with good retention. Slightly hazy, straw yellow in color with medium levels of carbonation. Head fades to a foam cap and leaves some chunky lacing down the sides of the glass. A good wisp remains and leaves some nice lacing the whole way. Head is a little thin for me, but this is good looking and fits the style.

SMELL: Pale malts and green fruits, like apples and pears. Nice, spicy yeast notes and a light touch of floral hops. A nice aroma, but not quite as forthcoming as I remembered.

TASTE: Pale malts and lots of green apples and pears. Nice floral hop bitterness at the swallow with a big, bold aftertaste of spicy yeast, clove and pepper, and a good floral bitterness. A touch of alcohol as well. Very flavorful especially after the swallow.

PALATE: Thinner body and high levels of carbonation. Bubbly and light on the palate, goes down quite airy and finishes slightly dry on the palate. I understand this is the style, but this is too thin, bubbly and airy for my palate. Others in the style have agreed with me more.

OVERALL: This is a well made, interesting and flavorful beer that I've had often. While the palate makes this tough for me to drink in mass quantities, the flavor is enojoyable enough for me to re-visit it from time to time. A solid brew for sure.

07-09-2012 14:58:09 | More by Jeffo
claspada

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy straw color with a foamy whipped egg white head that persists well and thoroughly laces the chalice

Aromas begin with lemon and yeasty funk that dominate but there is a subtle candy sugar/honey sweetness that emerges as it warms.

The tastes begin with the same yeast driven tangy lemon and sourish apple flavors which is then greeted by a sweet element likely from some candy sugar additions. Crackery pilsner makes emerge more as it warms with some light grassy Saaz hops that are a nice complement.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. Finish is mainly light and effervescent with warming alcohol emerging more as it warms.

Overall while this is a classic example of the style, it is also a forgettable one. A bit too yeasty and one-dimentional that really doesn't invite you to consume more. The hop and alcohol add a slightly biting finish. Maybe just not my cup of tea.

09-20-2012 19:35:20 | More by claspada
jackndan

3.58/5  rDev -16%

Absolutely beautiful beer. Hazy, golden yellow with a classic dense thick white head. A full inch and a quarter over the rim of the glass without any spill. Duvel has a very pronounced, fruity aroma, lemons and pears. The first bottle I had, I did not realize that there was some yeast in the bottle (although I love the yeast). The beer is very refreshing, and very fruity. Somewhat dry finish, very pleasant. For a beer with this amount of alcohol, I do not get the alcohol warmth from other high octane beers.Looks great, smells good, very drinkable, but to me it misses the essence of a good beer. Great for its style, but it ain’t my style. Addendum: more than a slight hangover the next morning.

04-19-2002 19:48:44 | More by jackndan
ADR

3.58/5  rDev -16%

A second bottle-fermentation, so charged up, foamy medium-bubbled head, misty champagne color and bubbly upcharge. Astringent aroma with a malt background. Light vinous flavors and swallows with a lot of carbonation. There's a slight hoppy cut to the initial flavor and in the mid-mouth feel. There's a lot of sparkling wine-like flavor. It is interesting. A modern classic, finely brewed -- but not for my normal tastes. Tart and bready at the same time. But I found it to have a higher than expected drinkability. This brew is beautiful in a Duvel glass, there's that central geyser of carbonation charging up from the center and a head as rocky as a bowl of popcorn

04-24-2002 08:22:48 | More by ADR
JustinBathurst

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -16%

This beer was recommended to me by a friend whose beer tastes I trust quite a bit. What I discovered was that this particular kind of beer is not for me. Quite a lovely appearance, especially in a nice duvel abbey glass, and not bad just before dessert (but of course after a meal, good lord not on an empty stomach).

Everything seemed to agree with me until I actually tasted it--far too full of a spirits-like aftertaste for me. Not my thing, but pretty interesting nonetheless.

11-29-2003 05:02:07 | More by JustinBathurst
daliandragon

3.58/5  rDev -16%

I've been looking forward to this for a while. I finally worked my way through the entire World Beer section at the local megamart here in Incheon and I've been saving this for last as motivation to get me through the Korean and American macros. It's the most expensive individual beer in the store but I've got a feeling it's worth it, I've heard a lot of positive reviews of this beer.
Pours a pleasant cloudy golden color with a solid, lasting puffy, foamy,head. I smell fresh citrus, herbs and alcohol, strangely reminiscent of champagne.
Mouthfeel is crisp and satisying but a little heavier than I expected. The taste is dry and not as flavorful as i expected except for the alcohol, which is pronounced.
This is a good beer but not exactly to my taste. The alcohol is a bit higher than I generally prefer to taste, although it's still a quality bevo. I'll have to give it another shot a different time but right now I would rank it among my least favorite Belgians.

09-28-2005 16:21:24 | More by daliandragon
hero27

3.58/5  rDev -16%

750ml bottle. Best before 07/11/06 stamped on the side. 8.5% abv.

Chunky white head..hazy straw color. Head retention is damn near ridiculous..and thick enough to eat with a spoon. Some small yeasties float aimlessly in the glass. Belgian yeast and robust spices take up the majority of the aroma. The flavor has a distinct bready quality to it, with accompanying orange peel, spices, lemon, and yeast.
Carbonation a bit too lively for my taste, not quite as smooth as I remembered this being.
This may be a brew that could reasonably claim to be the champagne of beers.. it's a classic Belgian ale that has been around forever and isn't going anywhere.

Thanks go to mynie for the bottle.

06-01-2006 02:46:07 | More by hero27
strangemusic

British Columbia (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -16%

Pale, straw gold with a chunky, large snow-white head (gorgeous!) and a very characteristically Belgian aroma of strong orange, banana and yeast on the nose but nothing too special. These flavours persist in the sip with a dominance of banana and yeastiness (fairly aggressive) with a medicinal background and aftertaste which I was not fond of at all. The mouthfeel is soft and dry and quite nice, and the drinkability is really excellent, it's light and refreshing and doesn't feel like 8.5% at all. I may re-review this one as I am feeling a bit sick and that might be affecting my perception of the taste... It's a nice beer, it seems, in all areas except for the taste, especially the aftertaste.

02-04-2009 23:04:12 | More by strangemusic
Mangus

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this fine ale with dinner tonight: pork chops, sweet potatos, sauerkraut, and apples.

Appearance- frothy white head that reared up as I poured ( I know the bottle says "pour slowly", I didn't) and settled down to a thin foamy hat. Color is a golden-piss-yellow.

Smell - fruity, slight hoppiness, citrusy, and a bit skunky that reminds me of Heineken and Grolsch.

Taste - smooth, fruity at the front with a slight hop bitterness at the back end. Slight effervescent mouthfeel - tiny bubbles dancing and dying in my mouth. Has a mild bitter aftertaste that I'm not too thrilled about.

Nice beer no doubt, however, with the plethora of choices we have, I won't be scrambling for this.

01-03-2004 01:20:44 | More by Mangus
williamherbert

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Look is a bright straw-yellow color. Massive puffy head. Lots of tiny bubbles. Transparently clear. Looks frosty. Ice cream float head. Frosty lace.

Spicy Belgian ale semll mixed with a lagery aroma. Golden ale definitely present. Slightly sweet.

Sour and spicy taste like a typical Belgian Ale. Tastes like a sweet lager but with sour spices. The prototypical Belgian Ale.

Feels fizzy and sour. Bubbly. Leaves a sour film. Turns creamy at the end. A bit dry like white wine. It's a good, spicy drink. Bubbly and fizzy. Sour and pretty good.

01-15-2008 01:52:34 | More by williamherbert
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured in to a Duvel tulip ... of course.

A - Pale yellow in colour with a lot of thick, bubbly white head and also a lot of visible carbonation.

S - Some light bitter hops up front with bready malts. Typical nose for a Beldian Pale Ale.

T - Some bitter hops up front and sweet bready malts: well balanced. An ever-so-slight spice taste with some bitterness in the finish.

M - Light body, heavily carbonated.

D - A solid beer. I am happy that I bought this but would not seek it out in the future.

06-11-2010 21:49:17 | More by TheSevenDuffs
jgurley

3.55/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aggressive pour yields a massive white head with beautiful lace. Opaque luminous gold color. Smell is slightly vinous, malty, yeasty. Taste is sour white grape, booze, a little hop bitterness. Refreshing medium mouthfeel. A little bubbly. Sticky bitter finish.

07-08-2011 22:36:42 | More by jgurley
AtrumAnimus

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

The Duvel is probably my least favorite beer from this fine Belgian brewery. The hoppiness is excellent but he finish is rough. It is also lacking in body. I prefer a more rich beer like the meredsous 10 or 8. This is still drinkable but I won't be stocking it in my fridge on a regular basis.

12-27-2002 11:54:02 | More by AtrumAnimus
NJpadreFan

Duvel

Re-reviewed 12-17-08
(Originally reviewed 11-14-03)

A- Bright cloudy orange with a thick billowy head. Good chunky lacing down the glass.
S- Sweet light lemon with hints of toasted grains and hay/straw.
T- Tart lemon and orange rind with a mild hay/straw grain malt.
M- Slightly tart with a citric bite. Sugary sweet with a sour dry finish.

Overall- Worthy of a pint or 2. Nothing spectacular here.

(I re-reviewed this beer so any fellow BA'ers won't question my "connoisseur" status.)
:) sarcasm.

11-14-2003 22:11:34 | More by NJpadreFan
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a pale straw yellow with a mountainous fluffy white head. Chunks of lace left in it’s wake.
Aroma is kind of grainy, kind of yeasty.
Flavor is kind of lemony, kind of apple, sweet/tart,
A crisp refreshing brew. The alcohol kind of sneaks up on you, the 8.5 isn’t real noticed until you about finish the bottle.

10-02-2004 08:28:07 | More by Padron4KM
OatherS

Kansas

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

The short stubby bottle has a white label with a nice crested bottle cap.

Appearance: Poured just a tad too quickly and the head is MASSIVE. Effervescent, champagne like quality. The head is very slow to fade. Laces nicely. Very transparent golden color. Awesome.

Smell: Not very strong aroma. Somewhat of a fruity odor, with a slight alcohol smell as well.

Taste: Very nice smooth almost liquor type flavor. The strong alcohol percentange taste is there but it is not over powering.

Mouthfeel: Not quite as bubbly as I thought from the head and bubbly appearance. Nice and smooth.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipping beer, drink this one slowly.

06-13-2005 01:29:02 | More by OatherS
pirates

South Africa

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

A - pours a yellow color with a good head that last all the way.

S - Spicy and somewhat citrus.

T - This is where the citrus characteristics of this beer comes through. Tastes of orange/lemon rind. A very rich flavor of citrus that lingers.

M - Very high carbonation. A tad too fizzy for my liking.

D - Carbonation makes this beer difficult to consume too many.

I have mixed feelings about this beer. This beer did not blow me away however, credit must be given where due. This is an exceptionally well constructed and balanced beer, but just not to my liking.

02-10-2008 18:59:10 | More by pirates
elgiacomo

Georgia

Dec 28, 2009

330ml bottle poured into Duvel glass. Yellow in color with a huge, frothy, rocky white head that seems to last forever. All sorts of sticky lacing, a very attractive beer.

Aroma is belgian yeast, and fruity, pears, green apples, some banana, some spice.

Flavor is fruity and yeasty with some spice, smooth going down, somewhat lively carbonation.

Not my favorite style, but still a very nice beer.

01-11-2010 05:18:40 | More by elgiacomo
phideltashaggy

Tennessee

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A-Amber in color. The head and lacing was dense and slightly off-white.

S-For lack of a better word, "acidic." Not terribly strong, but kinda weird,but not necessarily in a bad way.

T-Easily the spiciest beer I've ever tasted.

MF-The spice with the carbonation tingled the tongue a little, with a slight alcohol finish that lets you know that this is a high-gravity beer.

D-Fairly drinkable. By no means hard to drink, but I don't see myself drinking multiple in a row.

Overall-An interesting beer that I see myself drinking again. Highly recommended, if for no other reason than to try something different.

07-30-2010 00:40:05 | More by phideltashaggy
divineaudio

bomber into a tulip

a - pours a light hazy yellow with a big three finger, fluffy white head. retention is excellent - head falls to a thin cap and stays all the way to the bottom of the glass. also leaves tons of sticky alce.

s - slightly toasty and grassy. lots of pungency present from the saaz hops which is not really a good thing to my nose.

t - lightly toasted bread balanced by light hop bitterness and lots of spicy notes.

m - medium bodied and chewy. high co2 content.

o - pretty good but not great. definitely not a session beer at 8.5%. certainly not deserving of it's reputation.

08-02-2011 06:24:30 | More by divineaudio
RussBecker1

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.

A-Just as advertised. A Belgian golden ale with a lot of carbonation and a thick white head. The body is not much to behold however as it pours a clear fizzy yellow. Not that I was expecting a deep complex look, but the golden ale is what it is and nothing more.

S-Belgian yeasts are very apparent which are inherently complex. A touch of sweetness, mainly a light honey, cuts between the harsher animalistic undertones. Aside from the yeast, the malts are very apparent, but they are neither overpowering nor all that complimentary.

M-Much creamier than I would have thought. Creates a nice coating that makes the beer feel much denser and more complex than perhaps it really is.

T-Classically Belgian with malts and yeast cascading over one another. They blend nicely, but the flavors rush off the palate too quickly for my taste as the aftertaste is rather bland and mysteriously non existent.

O- Admittedly, Duvel was good but it did not sit as well with my palate than clearly it has with the majority of other drinkers. It was fine, but perhaps a good number of the complexities were lost on my palate leaving me disappointed overall.

09-17-2012 13:41:27 | More by RussBecker1
blatantdream

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light yellow with a fluffy white head. Retention is high with apparent bold lacing.

Aroma of soft malts, banana esters, perfumy spices.

Spiced estery flavors with a golden malt flavor and yeasty top notes on the tongue. Medium bitterness that carries a slight bite.

The light body is a bit drying with a smooth tongue-feel but the high carbonation tends to lift those flavors off the tongue.

Overall golden pale ale that is trying to be somewhat complex but still maintains the style in a straight forward manner.

09-21-2012 03:03:00 | More by blatantdream
Rifugium

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Where and when I first had this is lost forever in time. My last tasting was on tap at the Irish Pol, Philly, PA.

Straw yellow pour, clear and pale, a finger or two of foamy white head that recedes to a thin layer of bubbles; decent lacing. Pale malts in the nose, fruit esters, yeast, leafy hops. Similar taste, brready malts, Belgian yeast, apples, pears, light citrus twinge, grassy, leafy, bitter and can lean towards metallic. Medium body, medium carbonation, somewhat drying, and a boozy kick. Pretty standard fare here, often seen served in awkwardly large signature glasses with terrible artwork.

11-01-2012 05:41:45 | More by Rifugium