Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,677 | Hads: 7,330
3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

Decadent and fancy looking but not necessarily the top for me. Taste wise, it's a great belgian. Nice light color, enough carbonation but not too much, but taste was nothing to shout about for me. Great though for celebrations. (230 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Very pretty good color but too much carbonation. The aroma tells the tale of what it was suppose to taste. Nice beer, but didn't fall in love with it. (150 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Crystal clear light yellow with very full bubbly head very highly carbonated(3/3)
S: Malty nose with sweet citrusy notes (10/12)
T: Super raisiny, full malt character with burnt sugar finish (14/20)
M: Very wet mouth feel, a little dry on finish(4/5)
O: I wasn’t a big fan of this beer the first time I had it, but it’s growing on me. Although the raisin dominates, there is more going on behind the scenes. The nose especially is complex and satisfying. (7/10)
38/50 (477 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured out a light golden color,,man is this stuff carbonated.Major head and i poured it slowly,,unbelievable amount of carbonation coming up the glass.Smell is sweet,,nothing outstanding.Taste is remarkably light but pleasant considering its alcohol content.Nice mouthfeel.Overall a nice beer,ill have to get a true tulip and re-review.Major lacing thruout the glass still present as i finish the beer. (403 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11.7%

It was like finding the Holy Grail when I finally saw this available. (Note that I couldn't find a real Duvel Glass for this so you may have to void certain things I saw like the nose)

Appearance: WOW! HEAD GALORE! Tons of effervencense comes up through a beautiful hazy straw color.

Smell: I smell grain, there's probably something else there but that's all i'm picking up.

Taste: It tasted like sourdough bread almost.

Mouthfeel: Best creamy head ever. The beer itself is actually kinda thick and smooth. I get a little tiny bit of a grainy bite but not much.

Drinkability: I could easily drink 4 of these and be retarded but I would feel retarded because why would I spend that kind of money unless I bought it outside of a bar. I would hope that I would be able to appreciate it well enough after 2. Further I'd probably cherish this too much to drink it more once a month. (892 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Received a liter bottle of Duvel for Christmas and could not believe I had yet to review this world-famous brew! Here goes... .

Poured into a chilled La Trappe goblet.

Appearance 4.5: Pours out a brilliant, light golden color. Nice 1" head faded slowly into a 1/4" that stuck around the entire session. Good lacing and lots and lots of little champagne-type bubbles all over the place. Just an amazing looking beer in the glass.

Smell 3.5: Very subdued nose. I detect yeast, some malt and a certain very slight hop scent. Kind of a letdown in this category.

Taste 3.75: Front is almost completely void of any taste. I do detect a slight hint of malt, but that's about it. Middle is where a pleasant and warming maltiness seeps in along with a nice feel of alcohol. Finish is slightly sweet and there is a nice taste of light Pilsner malt along with a very light hoppiness. Aftertaste was of medium length and featured more malt and a slight taste of yeast.

Mouthfeel 3.75: The mondo-carbonation made this beer very enjoyable. It certainly concealed many of the beer's defects.

Overall 4.0: Great beer, but I found it a bit off in several vital categories. Smell was far too subdued for the style and the taste was too bland and generic. I was hoping for something more "Belgian"...i.e. a big hit of malt or hops or spicy yeast. Instead, I am left thinking that Duvel is the lager-drinker's Belgian ale. Not that this is bad. It's just that -to me-- Duvel is a bit "dialed down" for the international market. Again, just my opinion and this is not to say that I would not buy Duvel again, I would. Certainly recommended if you have not had it before. (1,656 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11.7%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours very light golden, with the infamous Duvel towering white head. Sediment floats about in a strange vapor-like form. Just the head by itself is more complex than most beers, sits on top the whole time, slowly getting all awesome and chunky looking and leaving good lacing. Smell is strong of yeast, lemon, pear. Not a fan of the pilsner malt used, I'm not really a fan of pils in general and gives it the scent a bit of a macro vibe. Tartness hits your mouth right away followed by many tastes, peppery Belgian yeast, apple, white grape, warming alcohol finish. Definitely alot of complexity here. Pretty good mouthfeel, but I have to knock it down to a 3.5. There is a little too much carbonation and alcohol presence for me, but I suppose that is understandable for the style. Feels very heavy too with a very dry finish. I like the complexity and I can understand why people love this beer, maybe I'm not a huge fan of the style. I had Duvel Draft (aka Duvel Green) and preferred that because of the toned down carbonation and alcohol taste. (1,065 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11.7%

12oz single bottle into a tulip style glass, fairly fresh bottle also.

A- Bright golden that has some yellow highlights here and there. A steady pour yielded over an inch of fluffy white foam that kept rising, over the rim of the glass actually. some lace and nice looking.

S- A lot of Belgian yeast with some spices in the mix. Not the boldest scents coming from this which is surprising. Some faint fruit off in the distance.

T- Improves upon the smell with more fruits coming through including banana and some apple and pears working well with each other. Belgian yeast blast through with some light hops sneaking through. Some freshly squeezed lemon thrown in as well.

M- A large step below medium bodied with a ton of carbonation which you can tell is there just by looking at it while it is heavy on the tounge. With some warming Duvel gets smoother and is easier to pick up on the tastes.

D- I was not blown away by this but Duvel certainly is worthy of it's place within this style, of which I buy a lot of replica's of which do not compare. A bit high in alcohol which is O.K. by me but a tad to much carbonation. (1,127 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

A healthy golden with beautiful white fluffy foamy head. Champagne-like bubbles continuesly rising. Lacing all over the glass. The body looks almost exactly like Delirium Tremens.

Yeasty earthy nose.

Duvel has a bready taste. The yeast is very present. I suppose it is as yeasty and earthy tasting as it smells. Kind of more relaxed and mellower than Delirium.

Very easy going down, and deceptive (concerning the alcohol content). I liked it, but there are other pale Belgian strong ales I would choose first. (519 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

Hazy pale yellow with a full white head and good carbonation throughout.

Spicy hop aroma (Saaz and Styrian Goldings) with a light fruitiness.

Fruity flavors dominate (orange zest, pears) and alcohol is evident as it warms.

Medium bodied but a very light impression for the strength. Also, very effervescent with a smooth and dry finish. (342 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

From an 11.2oz bottle good til January 2010.

Pours a clear yellow with tons of head and lots of lacing. Not typically a fan of the pale yellow look, but this one had an amazing head and great retention. At a point, it looked like I had scooped out some whip cream and put it on top.

Smell is fairly sweet with a sharp citrus edge. Bit yeasty.

Strong alcohol taste that is accompanied by the citrus elements and a slight fruit presence, finishes with a pleasant sourness. Carbonation was a bit much for my mouth to handle though. (531 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

Duvel is legendary...the name, and especially its appearance. Beautiful thick Belgian head, and a strong yeasty smell. Extremely strong stuff that will knock you on your ass if you have too many. Too spicy and yeasty to drink many of them anyway, but great to get that big bottle every now and then to enjoy a truly renowned beer. (330 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

Bought a single at the NSLC.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy peachy orange/yellow colour in an over sized wine glass. Huge fluffy, bone white head with amazing retention.

Aroma: Rich malts with tons of spicyness and loads of citrus. Quite a complex aroma, a little too complex for this intermediate nose.

Taste: Very complex flavours here. Managed to pick up on caramel. candied fruit, maybe some coriander. Yeasty and smokey, hard to get a handle on the taste.

Mouthfeel: Lots of body, a delight with a very warm alcohol finish.

Final Statement: Although I respect Belgians a lot, I'm still not a huge fan of them. I see their strong points, and will savour one here and there, but I'm still a die hard English style ale kind of guy. Duvel is the best Belgian I have had though, I highly recommend this one. (821 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured an effervescent straw yellow with a huge, rich, long-lasting head. Aroma was dry malt, musty hops, and a good bit of Belgian phenolics. Great beer to look at and smell. Decent amount of alcohol in the nose as well. Light-to-medium body, which is pretty remarkable considering its alcohol content. Flavor had alcohol up front, some malt sweetness (though it was pretty dry), and a bunch of hop flavor. Not as much Belgian funkiness as some, but you'd definitely know where this one came from. Maybe some fruit in the taste. Had a bit of creamy smoothness in the mouthfeel that was quite pleasant. Also, very little fusels/harshness. Drinkability was probably as good as it could be considering the puch it packs.

Overall, a very nice brew and a good gateway beer for someone who is looking to branch out into Belgians. (827 characters)

$10.49/Four Pack
Dan's Liquor
Plover, Wisconsin

Appearance - Make sure you pour this beer as directed. It has a pale golden shimmer highlighted by a fantastic array of dancing carbonation. The head is a perfect white that stays forever. It's so firm you'll think is a meringue.

Smell - It has a refreshingly smooth aroma. A subtle sweetness captures this sense and begs to taste.

Taste - The first mouthful is unexpectedly awkward. After a few sips it fits exactly where I want it to, and is very hard to put it down. It starts off sweet and finishes bitter.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation creating the action upon the pour comes back to haunt it causing a coarseness on the tongue. However, the feeling it offers down the back of my throat is smooth and sultry.

~ While I'll enjoy the 4 pack I purchased for $10.50 from Dan's Liquor I can't see myself pitching in another dimer and some change to the Central European brewery. (942 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

From the stubby into the classic Duvel tulip.

A - Mountainous soapy head caps a murky amber. Great looking.

S - Cloves, apple and toffee.

T - Cloves, honey, sour apple. Dry. The warmth from the alcohol content is ever present but very drinkable all the same.

M - High in carbonation, thin bodied. Dry.

O - Not a massive fan of this classic but I will say that it's got the typical belgian yeast grunt with a touch of booziness. Good, not great. (449 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

Ap. Very light pale golden color with a fantastic head and lacing that stays for the whole session.
Sm. Very different from what I've been having. Spice, maybe yeast and alcohol.
Ta. Follows the smell, spice, tangy, bitter.
Mf. Nice carbonation, light in the mouth.
Dr. Easy, crisp, clean, delightful. (301 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

I was limited to pint glasses for this one, which perhaps wasn't the best container. I poured the contents of this tiny bottle slowly enough where I didn't expect 2/3 of the glass to fill up with foam. It fizzed like a soft drink, and the fluffy, bubbly head took its time to settle, clinging to the sides of the glass and leaving a small cloud settling on the pale, transparent yellowish liquid beneath. I added more beer and once again, the head rocketed up. I waited a good 5-7 minutes, hoping that with time I could eventually empty the entire 11.2 oz bottle into the glass, but eventually I ran out of patience and decided to deal with the foam mustache I'd be receiving.

The smell, which shot out of the bottle as soon as I popped the cap, was a wet, malty, biscuity, and phenolic/band-aid odor.

The first sip (foam mustache included, although the foam was so light and fluffy that it was easy to get through to the liquid beneath) was very malty with piney, somewhat bitter hops and just a splash of banana, and a slight creaminess in the body. The alcohol was barely noticeable, amazingly enough considering the 8.5% ABV. A bit too much malt for my taste, but I could still appreciate the moderate complexity of this beverage.

I had Duvel once before and I remember not particularly enjoying it. I'm still not overwhelmed by it, but it's definitely palatable and very easy to drink. I'm not so sure about paying $3 for a 11.2 oz. bottle, though, but then the liquor store where I picked it up isn't known for reasonable prices (I also paid $10.99 for a Chimay Blue).

I'll grab this one again, preferably in a 4- or 6-pack if it's available. (1,660 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

A 330ml bottle dated best before November 2015 and poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: The beer poured a slightly hazy golden straw yellow colour with maybe just under a two finger creamy white head that dissipated slowly leaving nice stringy lacing.

Aroma: Main aromas of citrus lemon and banana with slight funk followed by some lighter grassy and flowery smells.

Taste: Starts with bitter, tart and slightly sour citrus lemon, pear and apple followed by banana and honey sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with high carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: Overall this was not a bad beer. But if I was to compare to others in this style, off the top of my head I do prefer both Delirium Tremens and La Chouffe before Duvel and unfortunately for Duvel, both of them are as widely available in Hong Kong. (828 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%

Well, in all my years I have never poured anything like THIS before. Half the pilsner is a very light, very clear, gold color and the other half is the head. Half the pilsner is head I said! I do not know how to grade this. I am at a loss for any analysis. I am just going to have to take a stab at looks. The smell is great. Smell of very fresh hops in something that promises to be potent. As I TRY to pour the rest of the beer, here we go again. Head out the yin-yang. Am I ever going to DRINK this beer? Finally, the taste. Not impressed. Very weak. Can taste the massive carbonation as if it was campaign, not beer. No aftertaste at all. Very fresh. Very, very drinkable, but drink a domestic light if you want a buzz. Verdict: Try at your own risk. (754 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%

A- Pours a golden color with lost of bubbles

S-smells of bannas and yeast

T-Hoppy maltiness with some citrus notes

M-Lots of carbonation and light bodied

D-Very clean,fresh taste...but it also had alittle too much yeast flavor and was alittle off for me. Might have just been a bad bottle.Still was a good beer but felt it to be too hyped for what it tasted like. (367 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Wasn't what I expected after seeing the alcohol content on the bottle. I was expecting something more along the lines of Leffe. Has a citrus smell and is a refreshing pale yellow to amber colour. Taste reminds me of an English ale as there's a slight hoppy bitterness as well as banana notes. There's also a smoky deeper notes reminiscent of whiskey. Effervescent refreshing mouth feel, that makes for a surprisingly easy drink, goes down like a regular beer so be warned! (472 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Four pack gift set w/ glass given to me for Christmas. Pretty sure this was bought fresh at CostCo & not from under the spotlights at Stop & Shop. Best Before: 05 2013

Glass that came with the set is defective(lopsided base, just like my last one), but I'll chance it just for the review.

Insane crown of stiff snow. Bubbly nucleation point checking in. Gold staw-colored, with just a twinge of haze. Sediment mostly stays in the bottle. Blobs of lace erratically stain the glass.

Smells of fresh mixed bitter greens & lemon upfront. With doughy yeast, crusty Italian bread, white peppercorns, sea salt & just a touch of malt sweetness bringing up the rear.

Taste upfront has a sweet, buttery chardonnay/doughy yeast combo(that doesn't come through as much if your hesitating friend only takes a small sip. So no hesitating!). Fantastic herbals & soft shallot-y onion sweetness. A little salt too. Finish is all crusty/doughy yeast, dry & eager to continue drinking.

Carbonation starts of strong, but dies off quickly. Body has a wheat-y feel. Alcohol isn't well hidden.

A classic, but in a blind tasting, I doubt I'd give this good of a score. The subtleties in the hop profile just get lost under all the super fresh American beers available drowning my senses. (1,269 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -12.4%

For all of the A+ and A ratings this one seemed a little overhyped to me after my tasting. The head and continuous carbonation truly was amazing. Almost too amazing as I poured slowly into a tilted pint glass, but had to wait after 6 oz poured as the head was already 3 to 4 fingers thick and near the top of the glass. The appearance was slightly murky somewhere between a pilsner and a wheat. The flavor was good, not great, and the high alcohol content was well disguised. For the high price tag, I was expecting a little more spectacular beer, but its still a decent beer worth a sampling. It is very drinkable and if I weren't such a lightweight, I could probably have a 2nd or 3rd..however 1 is enough for me to feel it. (726 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass ( should probably get a tulip shaped glass to truly appreciate the complexity's of this beer ).

This is my first Duvel and have never had a beer quite like it.

Even though I gently poured it into my tilted glass the foam head quickly filled my pilsner glass 2/3 full of effervescent fluffy white foam, which was very slow to dissipate.

Duvel is medium to light golden color with lots of tiny bubbles that don't quit.

Smell is of hay,yeast, and fruit.

Taste is of hay, yeast, slight fruitiness, pepper and malt with a touch of bitter. I can taste the alcohol ( not to mention feel it ) but not so much that it is unpleasant.

Duvel kind of reminds me of drinking champagne with all the bubbles and the higher alcohol content but is most definitely beer with a unique taste that is hard to pin down. I think I will have to keep sampling these from time to time to get a better feel for them.

I bought a 4 pack of these at Corral liquor in Granite City IL for 7.99

This is my first post on a beer forum, and I'm not hip to all the Lingo, but I do enjoy Beer and trying new things and have been using this site to pick new beers to try, so hopefully I will eventually get better at my evaluations. Cheers Bigdaddy (1,282 characters)

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV