Duvel | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Reviews: 2,741 | Ratings: 7,628
3.86/5  rDev -9.8%

A shorty 330ml freshness dated bottle poures a HUGE, solid foam head. Great care needs to be taken to slowly pour this beer so as to not over-develop the head. The head lasts forever, leaving lacy traces all over the glass with chunks of foam in the center of the beer. I chose to pour the yeast, giving a slightly turbid, pale golden color.

The nose initially gives a sharp, bitter aroma that mellows to a citrusy, lemon and corianter scent. The taste is more muted than the aroma with pale malty sweetness noted in the mouth, followed by hoppy bitterness down the throat that lingers on-and-on. The mouthfeel is light to moderate.

This is an eminently drinkable beer, especially to perk-up the taste buds before the evening meal. The 8.5% alcohol is well hidden in this smooth, very drinkable ale.

3.86/5  rDev -9.8%

A - poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass. It pours a cloudy pale yellow color. The beer has a creamy head that leaves huge globs of lacing.

S - sap, pine, oranges, spice and warm alcohol

T - sweet malt that turns piny and spicy

M - high carbonation and dry

D - taste similar to champagne. This is something to sip and enjoy though the bitter pine taste seems too strong.

3.86/5  rDev -9.8%

What a nice looking beer, huge white head that doesnt disappear, a yellowish hazy colour with tons of carbonation

Smells fruity, bready/yeasty and winey.

Tastes of bananas/fruit, sort of winey and sweet like candy sugar with some alcohol and hops in the aftertaste.

A nice bubbly aftertaste, but overall I think this beer is a bit overated compared to other belgian beers.

3.86/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass (all I had at the time).

A: Pours a very pretty golden yellow, almost totally clear. There is lots of carbonation, and a huge white head.

S: Belgian yeast, a little sweet/fruity, Pilsner malts.

T: Sour and a little acetic at first but fades into nice crisp, light, fruity yeast flavor with the pilsner malts. It is a bit minerally. Better as warms, less off flavors, but mineral flavor increases.

M: Light as expected. Not much aftertaste at all, and finishes pretty dry. Only a bit of alcohol presence.

O: Man, this just didn't do it for me. The malt aroma just reminds me of cheap beer and I just couldn't get over it. It did get a little better as it warmed up some (or as I got used to it) but didn't meet my expectations. But I'll try it again and see if I have a different experience.

3.86/5  rDev -9.8%

A - Beautiful beer. Big bubbly head, slightly opaque yellow body with beautiful streams of bubbles rising rising throughout, nice textured lacing.
S - Smells of sweet citrus , grape, almost like champagne.
T - Citrus and grape taste, with a sour aftertaste that builds as you drink.
M - Strong carbonation has a tingly effect in the mouth, rather than a sudden bite. Feels good.
D - As I was drinking, I couldn't help but think of the similarities to champagne. That said, it's definitely an enjoyable beer that I'll come back to.

3.86/5  rDev -9.8%

"best enjoyed chilled with discerning friends or good-looking strangers." Love it. 11/08 freshness date

A: Pours a straw color with a massive frothy head. The head subsides in its monstrousity fairly quickly, yet sustains with good volume and tons of lacing.

S: Aromas of Belgian yeast, citrus, and lots of spicy notes including clove and pepper.

T: Somewhat tart with prominent a lemon flavor. Also features some bready and yeast flavors with an alcohol foundation.

M: Medium bodied with an abrasive carbonation. It seems the carbonation takes much from my ability to taste all of this beers flavors.

D: I hate the mouthfeel, but ignoring that, this is a wonderful Belgian.

3.86/5  rDev -9.8%

First Duvel I have ever had. Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into the duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a very yellow, almost piss-like semi-clear color. Huge head from a moderate pour. Very nice lacing down the glass and head retention is amazing. Still had a head throught the session. Pillowy fluffy head.

Smell: A little challanged on the nose. Slight malty and banana peel aromas. A faint lemony rubbery aroma.

Taste: Very nice. Tastes like a nice strong pale ale but with that european feel to it. Packed with flavor in such a light colored beer. Alcohol comes through a little bit but its contained through the malty finish. Nice bitter hops on the initial attack.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated. A lot of tiny bubbles. Medium viscosity with a nice creamy aftertaste that coats the palate, yet refreshing.

Drinkabilty: Great sesssion beer if you can handle a couple of these. Strong but not too strong. Overall very refreshing and tasty. Great to accompany grilled meats and veggies.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Very interesting beer. This one poured a pale yellow color with a really nice frothy white head that left little specks of lace down the glass. The smell was quite unique, with a slightly bitter apple scent and a grainyness to it as well. The taste was quite dry like champagne but with better flavor. The apple scent came out slightly in the flavor but I mostly detected a peppery spice which was very nicely paired with the bubbly mouthfeel. This is definanlty not a beer that I could drink all of the time, but I think it would pair well with many meals and would convert some wine and champagne lovers to beer as well.

02-02-2010

Alright...Duvel has been one of my biggest disappointments so far in my reviewing of beers. Definitely the biggest ratio of widely respected-to-I didn't think it was that great. I originally gave it a 3.6, which isn't a terrible review but is considerably less than average. Glassware choice may have been an issue. I don't remember what I used but I didn't have anything appropriate at the time. This time around I'm using a Maudite tulip, which is very similar in design to the proper Duvel tulip. I'm really hoping I was wrong last time, maybe it was an off bottle.

Pours almost clear and light golden yellow in colour. Decent airy, slightly rocky head which fades to the thinnest patchy covering. Some lacing though.

Smells like a ton of yeast, some light lemon and hops, a little grain and sweetness. Mostly smells of yeast. There isn't a lot of smell coming off it.

Astringent/acidic, slight hops, yeast, grain. It almost feels like it's going to upset my stomach; like it's part vinegar or something. It has a very strange quality to it. Dry finish. Pretty smooth for 8.5%, I'm not feeling it at all. I'll up the score to 4.0. There's something about this that's a bit indescribable.

This has one of the most prickly, lively mouthfeels I've ever experienced in a beer. It actually kind of reminds me of San Pellegrino (yes, the sparkling mineral water). That isn't an insult though, I love the feel of San Pellegrino. But it's weird at the same time, I don't quite know what to make of it.

So I think I can see how a lot of people are into this. For me it's a little uninteresting though. It's definitely not bad, I just wouldn't put it in the same category as the best beers I've had. I would gladly drink Duvel if it were free but won't be buying this again.

Old Review (05-26-2009):

Huge head (maybe I poured a little too quickly), settling down to a decent layer of foam that stuck around until the end. Really light color; I was expecting it to be a little darker but it's a murky, pale golden yellow. Not a bad looking beer. A little bit of lacing. 3.5

The smell is acidic, metalic, mildly spicy, a little yeasty. It doesn't smell bad but doesn't really smell good; pretty neutral. 3.5

I was expecting more taste than this, it's a little bland. It doesn't taste bad it just doesn't taste like much for my taste. Kind of like a light tasting white beer. Mostly tastes like the smell; an acidic bite, mild spice flavour, thin tasting though not bad tasting. 3.5

The mouthfeel is nice, thicker than the taste would leave you expecting. Good carbonation. 4.0

I don't know if I just had a bad bottle or what. I bought this today after reading all these great reviews but can't say I feel the same way. I definitely didn't think it was bad, I just really wasn't blown away at all. I do remember having this last year once and feeling the same way about it, mostly indifferent. I kind of feel like I'm missing out...what am I missing here? 4.0

3.85/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Huge white head with a lot of bubbles rising to the top, other than that, a bright golden color (looks like a pilsner). Leaves a ton of lace on the side of the glass.

S: Faint hops, malt, yeast with floral and citrus (still reminds me of a pilsner)

T: Complex spices with a little alcohol burn. Hops, malt and citrus are present with a good amount of banana flavors.

D: Good for how high the alcohol content is, but it is still very noticable. Don't drink this too fast.

I like this beer a lot, but Belgian strong pale ales are not my favorite. As I have noted, this reminds of a pilsner but with more alcohol. Duvel is one of the best example of a Belgian strong pale ale though.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

My rating is based on the warning that you'd better let this stuff set for at least 5-10 minutes after pouring, or you'll burn out your nostrils with a biting gas, and your throat as well.

Pour it slowly- as the bottle say, "Pour Unhurriedly."

A= nearly clear-yellow, immediate massive head at least equal to the fluid. The head gradually settles, forming chunky thick islands of foam that look like half-melted marshmallows.

S= nice, inviting, florals, evidence of the hops-bitters, slight reminder of lemonade, some bubblegum scent after it's been sitting for 10 or more minutes. Very Belgian-Ale typical. Whiffs of strong alcohol.

T= a little watery for my taste, and yet it rates so highly. Lots of sour-bitter hops, florals, typical trademark Belgian flavor, evidence of its 8.5%ABV alcohol on the tongue.

M= a bit more alcohol-burn than I like, and aftertaste more reminiscent of wine-sour than hops-bitters. A little more watery and lacking balanced flavor and bouquet than I'd like, afterwards.

D= as far as alcohol, not very drinkable in quantity, and for my own personal tastes, there are many other Belgian's that I'd prefer if I were going to knock off a quantity of 8.5%ABV beers.

I've had this in Belgium, where I noted a malt scent and slight sweet hints in the nose, possibly a taste of cardamom, and how it seemed to change character in the taste as it sat, over time.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

A: poured a pale straw yellow with a finger of bubbly white head that left great sticky lacing on the glass.

S: lite belgian yeast aroma with slight citrus and spice notes that also had faint booze notes.

T: apples, belgian yeast, and cloves strike first on the palate with apices and citrus accents. It also had some booze punching through the flavor.

M: duvel was light bodied with a good amount of carbonation that had a slight sweet but citrusy crisp finish.

D: duvel drank very good and has been a go to beer when there is not a big variety of beer at certain liquor stores but has always been a tasty beer for me.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Sampled multiple times. About time to review it. Poured a off straw colored yellow with light hues of amber. Head retention was ample and remained throughout the tasting. Decent lacing as well.

The smell has a strong indication of Belgium quality. Some light malt with a touch caramel. More noticeable is the spices and fruity esters. Definite cloves and cinnamon as well as some bananas and a bit of pears as well.

The taste has a good malt backing with a basic taste but the real flavor is noticed in the spice, yeast and fruity esters. The spice has some good biscuit flavor that reminds me of an apple pie. The fruitiness accentuates this but has more of a banana taste. This becomes more noticeable in the aftertaste. And the yeast has a smoothness to it that is not overly alcohol even with a high ABV.

The body is med to high. Very easy to drink with low phenol flavors. Overall a good example of a Belgium is pretty widely distributed.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

Purchased as a gift package which included three 330 ml bottles and a deep and wide tulip glass, perfect for this and just about any Belgian. 8.5% abv. Golden yellow appearance with a mushroom cloud head which was whipped cream thick and snow white. Be paitent while pouring or the head will consume the entire glass. Very faint citrusy aroma. Taste was again light with only a hint of citrus which quickly fades in the finish. Mild mouthfeel. Lace drapes the glass from start to finish. An easy drinking Belgian and one I'd recommend for both the newly initiated to the style or seasoned fan.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours light and clear yellow from the bottle. Nice foam head that lasts long.

Smell: very strong hop aromas. Some flowery scent.

Taste: a bit sour with a bitter end. Highly carbonated.

Mouthfeel: medium body.

Overall: Good Belgium ale. I liked it.

Comments:the beer was poured into a snifter glass.not a Duvel glass.
Yeast residue in bottle.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

A very drinkable beer. Very servicable to a 'novice' like myself, this beer was both clean and fresh. I was not impressed with the smell of the beer but the full rich taste more than made up for the SLIGHT offensiveness caused by the aroma. The book is definitely better than the cover here, and there is no reason to doubt this beer on your next purchase if you like ales or goldens or Belgian's of any kind. Truly a beer for all seasons and not disappointing in the least.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I've had this classic many a time before, but haven't yet reviewed it somehow (though I could swear I remember reviewing it in Holland). "Best before: 09/2015." 11.2 fl oz brown glass "snub" design glass with iconic label art and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local Colorado beer store and served into a Duvel stem-tulip in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high. Props to Duvel for the pouring instructions - "Pour Unhurriedly." 8.5% ABV confirmed per the label.

Served chilled. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a four finger wide head of white colour. Disappointingly thin and airy. No real creaminess. Not as fluffy or soft as it should be. Head retention is good - about 5-6 minutes. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a translucent clear pale gold of above average vibrance. Has some yellow and copper hues. Very clean; no floating yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it's an appealing, classic appearance for a Belgian golden ale.

Sm: Starches, Belgian golden malts, clean crisp barley, floral hop character, and Belgian pale malts. Hints of vitamin-y biscuity yeast character. Sweetness seems perfect based on the aroma. Has a kiss of candi character and a faint trace of peppercorn. There's also a vague fruitiness - perhaps from the hops? As best I can tell, it's crisp ripe apple. The distinctly Belgian character of the yeast - the light fruitiness, the spiciness - is what really elevates the aroma for me.

No alcohol is detectable - a feat at 8.5%. If I smelled it blind, I'd guess it was maybe 5%. Wow.

It's an inviting, alive aroma of moderate strength.

T: Light starchiness is present, and doesn't work too well in this flavour profile. The bulk of the body is comprised of Belgian golden malts. Hop character is predominantly floral, with a kiss of fruitiness in there too - crisp apples and pears. The yeast is lightly biscuity and spicy, and definitely feels like a Belgian strain. Clean crisp barley lends it some added depth of flavour. Light clove and grassiness also make an appearance. Quite estery. Duration and intensity of flavour are average for the style.

What's amazing here is how well the beer hides its ABV; I'd never guess this was 8.5%. Dangerously downable stuff.

It's also very well balanced, and boasts some impressibe subtlety. Decent complexity. It could be more intricate and nuanced.

Mf: Could be softer. It's nicely smooth and dry, and is well-carbonated. Aptly medium-bodied, with perfect thickness given the flavour profile. Very good presence on the palate; it's almost fleetingly light - which greatly aids drinkability. Not as crisp or ripe as many beers in the style; it's a bit more subdued. Effervescent. The texture complements the taste well, but isn't quite ideal. There's room for improvement.

Not oily, gushed, harsh, hot, boozy, astringent, or rough.

Dr: Extremely drinkable - especially for the ABV. Every time I drink it, I'm shocked how quickly it disappears from my glass. Undoubtedly a classic beer in a demanding style, Duvel remains one of the beers you have to try if you're an enthusiast. It's one of the best in its class and is absolutely a style-defining beer, but I don't know that it's the best Belgian golden ale out there. Still, I could happily kill 12 of these in a night without getting tired of it and definitely plan on picking it up again in the future. I can see why it's in the top 100, but I don't know that it's amongst the best 100 beers I've had personally. What sets it apart for me isn't the taste necessarily, but more its incredibly light feel and dangerous drinkability. This is the definition of easy drinking.

Probably the best widely available beer in the world, period.

B+

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into a tulip glass I just got in the mail from BeerGeekShop.com
Poured a golden hazy straw with massive billowy stark white head. It looks like a beer should. The head on this beer left me in awe. Leaves chunky lacing as the head retreats.
Smells of fruity and sour, is reminiscent of a saison or a weak gueuze. This sour does not really translate into the taste of this beer, only a slight tartness on the back end.
This beer tastes balances grain and fruit pretty well. The grain from the malt is what strikes the palate first with a bread ike characteristic then the fruit makes itself apparent as the beer creeps back. The fruit tastes like a bitter and sour green apple, maybe even the tart twang of a white grape. Nice dry finish.
Lively beer in the mouth. High carbonation, very light, with a dry finish
I enjoyed this beer, but I think it is better suited for an earlier time of day. I picture it best to be enjoyed in the early afternoon overlooking some rolling hills in the countryside. The light grain character to it makes it refreshing like a good Pilsener. The malt and the hop are very balanced, in accordance to the style. They are so well balanced in fact, initially it was hard to discern where one ended and one began.
This is a nice refreshing beer to have, but not entirely sessionable, a little too much carbonation and at 8.1%, I don't think you want to be drinking these all day, or the Duvel in you might come out.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

Had this beer on tap in a pub in Utrecht. The beer had a nice golden yellow color, with a three finger thick fluffy bright-white head, that stayed there during the drinking.

Smell: fruity, spicy, alcoholic, and some smell I couldn't define, a bit like sour sewer water.

Taste: a mixture of apple cider and champagne, fresh taste! A bit sour-bitter hoppy after taste. Spicy and some hints of alcohol

Mouthfeel: thin and smooth. Medium high carbonation
Overall a nice refreshing beer. Not my favourite because of the smell, but will never refuse one.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

Served in 20oz stemless red wine glass.

A - Yellow, just bordering on orange. Crystal clear, tons of carbonation. The most delicate looking head I've ever seen, pillowy and white, thick and longlasting. Beautiful.

S - clean spice, light malt sweetness. Somewhat subdued, but pleasant.

T - The first sip explodes in the mouth, overwhelming me... very bold profile. Sweetness is quite low and it has a very dry finish. I'm finding it hard to describe the distinct flavours... also has a bit of an alcohol note.

M - Almost champagne like. Sprtizy, light and dry.

D - While the dryness keeps things refreshing, I find it mutes the overall flavour.

This is a good beer, but not my favourite Belgian. Gets better as it warms up.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Bright translucent yellow with a fluffy white head that doesn't go away. It looks very inviting, crisp, I'm half expecting the head to turn into a hand and start waving at me.

S - subtle pepper, moderate amount of lemon and orange peel, tons of yeasty yeast,

T - stale lemon juice, lemon & orange peel, clove, tons of fruity & sweet yeast, banana bread.

M - Crisp, lively, bubbly carbonation, well done.

O - The yeast character really takes over, which isn't really my bag, but the citrus character and solid mouthfeel are keeping me interested.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

Duvel is a slightly opaque but very sparkly straw-colored ale with a huge, fluffy, rocky white head. The aroma is of dough, moist towels, citrus and a slight banana/clove. It's silky smooth and medium bodied. Many things are lurking in this unique flavor. Vanilla, black pepper and perhaps apple peel. It's a classic for a reason!
(rated Mar 22, 2007)

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Duvel pours a cloudy yellow with hints of orange and an incredibly massive foamy head. I was pouring slowly and the head simply erupted. Looks nice in the glass...almost the same as on the bottle...and it's not going anywhere. The smell has a spicy peppery hint to it along with a nice pale malt profile. Hints of alcohol and floral hops come through in the nose.

The first taste is wonderfully smooth with a nice malt profile and hints of peppery spice. There are some light citrus tones as well...and as I drink some nice lacing begins to build up on my glass. Hops balance out the brew well. The yeast seems to impart a sort of outdoor/earthy flavor on my tounge as well. Overall good flavor on this one.

The mouthfeel is good, but there is a bit too much carbonation for me here. Seems a little too fizzy going down. Otherwise it is very smooth. Drinkability is good as well and I could see myself having a few of these.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Bottle. Maybe a little too much hype. Pours clear gold with the big white, fluffy head. Aroma is yeasty and sweet with sugar. Taste is the same, kind of like a tripel. Very rich and strong flavors, maybe too much. Its really good, but I don't really want it again.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Got this in a "big" 25-ounce(ish) bottle.

Nice, pillow-y head (solid . . . and seemingly eternal). The appearance (pale golden yellow) and smell are very attractive. The mouthfeel is very light, as is the flavor . . . sweet up front and progressively more bitter at the finish.

I was really surprised by this . . . not really excited by the prospect of a Belgian beer (was a gift). I'd buy this in the future (should I see it).

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV