Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,178 | Reviews: 2,704
3.81/5  rDev -10.4%

I poured unhurriedly as the 11.2 oz. bottle suggests, and was rewarded with a beautiful clear straw colored body topped with a rich foamy white head.

Yeast and malt on the nose, lovely.

Mostly yeast on the tongue as well, with maybe a light sour apple in the background.

Crisp and bubbly, it finishes clean.

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%

As I continue to try more Belgian Ales, I finally broke down and bought this one. Poured into a snifter from a 11.2 oz. bottle, which took almost 10 minutes to pour, due to the huge head it created. The beer poured a clear almost white color, settling to a light gold in the glass. Huge thick creamy white head, that very slowly dissipated, with thick spots of lace on the glass. The aroma is slightly fruity. The flavor is not as complex as expected, but still interesting. Fruity flavor, I'm assuming from the yeast, along with a slight hop presence. Light mouthfeel, along with a not-so-smooth finish. The beer had a slight hop-harshness at the end, but still this is a very drinkable Belgian. I can see why it is so popular. Overall, this fullfilled my expectations, and I wouldnt mind having this again very soon.

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Crystal clear yellow with big white head. Carbonation is incredibly low.
S: Yeasty with some critus, maybe lemon, notes on the background.
T: The citrus on the smell can be tasted as well but there's some spiciness too.
M: Light but with a heavy end to it.
O: I've had a lot of Duvels before this one and I do think they were better than this one. I'm afraid this Duvel didn't get very well with the cellar.

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%

This is my second beer that I'm having in honor of fellow BA and Mexico's Beerfly guide, Pepeton. It was his birthday last week. I first had Stone's Double Bastard for his birthday, but I had to cut out most of his birthday greetings from my review because it was too long. Now I'm going to match his Duvel review.

I got the little 330ml/11.2 oz. crazy looking bottle. It's a very unique bottle. I wouldn't even know what to call the shape of the bottle. It has a big bottom and then goes into 2 humps that connects to the small straight neck of the bottle. Can I call it a Penguin bottle? You have to see the bottle for yourself. If you lived in a beer barn all of your life, then you wouldn't know that Duvel is Flemish for Devil. It just has a plain simple front label with the word "Duvel" in big red letters and the Duvel coat of arms above it. No big 12 foot red devil ruling over the 12th level of hell with a pitchfork in hand, just a simple plain white label. The back white label has pouring instructions, information about the beer, US Government warning, and a small black box in the bottom left hand corner that has a best before date and a number that has to meaning to the consumer below that. Mine was best before May 2009.

Appearance: I didn't have the Duvel glass they have pictured on their website or label, so the closest glass I had to that was a Corsendonk Christmas Ale goblet. Worked out just fine. The beer was a hazy golden light lemon yellow or you can say it was a healthy urine yellow. Either way is fine. It had one of the best head of foam that I've seen on a beer. As soon as you pour it, this big fluffy white cloud of foam just rises up so fast that you have to stop pouring half way or it will just overflow the glass. It had excellent retention that left behind 2 tons of white foamy rings and white lace. Sometimes there is more white lace around your glass then beer in your glass. Like the bottle, the head of foam rising up is another thing you need to see for yourself to appreciate from this beer.

Smell: It had an aroma of just cloves, pepper, a hint of yeast, splash of alcohol, and some Belgian fruits in the background. It was more peppery than anything else. Still good, just a bit too peppery.

Taste: It tasted like the Devil himself was dancing on my tongue while wearing his red hot clogs! It really didn't taste like that, but I just had to put it down. It tasted like they really subdued the devil inside this beer. He tried to retaliate at the end, but no problem, they got him a second time. What I'm trying to say is that this beer had strong peppery hops with it's alcohol friend in the beginning, but as soon as it emerged, it was subdued by cloves, yeast, a pinch of toasted malts, and some Belgian fruits. The peppery hops/alcohol tried to come out again, but to no avail. It was already too weak from being conquered by the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: I would have to say that it's in the medium bodied range with an aftertaste of pepper, a smidge of your common bitter hops, and a slight taste of candy sugar in the background.

Drinkability: The back label told me to enjoy this perfection of a beer. Is this beer perfection? Not really. Is it good? Yes! Would I buy it again? Yes, because of the cool funky bottle and to see the massive head of foam just rise up from out of nowhere.

Happy Birthday Pepeton! I Hope you enjoyed my 2 reviews that I had in honor of your birthday! If you're reading this, please send him a birthday beermail. He will appreciate it very much.

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%

Best before 03/2014. Poured into oversized tulip glass.

A - Giant pillowy white rocky head. Hazy golden with many CO2 bubbles releasing from solution.

S - Spicy and wonderful fruity yeast esters are exceedingly complex. Lemony hops. Touch of soft alcohol. Delicate toasty malt otherwise no other malt smells coming through. A little bit of tartness. No Brett characteristics.

T - Green apple skin, candy sugar doesn't leave a syrupy sweet cloying flavor. Alcohol shines through, could mellow with some aging.

M - Light to medium bodied. Moderate to high carbonation makes for a crisp finish. Dry finish with alcohol warming but not as much as the 8.5% would believe you to think.

O - My Second Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Very nice yeast characteristics. Not hop forward like APA, really its own beast. Well enjoyed

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%

Review Number 50!!! A little milestone for me. :)
A= amazing! It's a nice golden color that's completely clear when you look through the glass. The head is not to be messed with. Pour it right the first time or you will have to deal with too much or too little head the whole way through because this one lasts all the way. Its clear white like snow and chunky too Big bubbles that kinda look like soap bubbles. Awesome lacing on the glass as well.
S= I picked up booze in the beginning followed by a very tart apple smell to it with some citrus hops deep in there.
T= A little boozy when it's cold but as it warms up a little the apple tartness takes over nicely with some hoppy bitterness to it as well and last is a citrus bite
M= Light smooth and clean all the way. No stickiness or anything here.
D= decent. For some reason I just don't think i enjoyed the taste of this one as much as everyone else so that would defer me a little bit. Also the price is very high so I prolly couldn't afford to drink to many and last but not least the booze would take me down quickly.

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a stubby little brown bottle into an oversized wine glass. Poured slightly cloudy that looked wavy and actually really freakin cool(poured it wrong?) Large fluff/foamy brilliant white head that didnt last all that long but looked great. Was hard for me to get the aroma, light fruit, grape? Tasted slight alchohol, white grapes, like a good champagne to me. Lots of carbonation and light feel that gets slighty heavier and warming and dry at the end. I tend to compare this too delirium tremens, very similar however crisper and less fruit flavor going on here. I feel like you could pour this as an alternative to a good champagne and most wouldnt know the difference. Definitely a drinkable beer but the ABV would keep me having only a few spaced out. Ill most likely get the proper duvel glassware and get this again.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Served in a Duvel glass. The beer pours a fizzy straw yellow color with a billowing white head. I get big lemon and lime notes with a dose of sugar and spice in the nose. The flavor is a bit lighter with with citrus and spice. Dry and crisp flavor. This beer is truly classic.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

What can I say about this beer that hasn't already been said?

Pours a clear golden color with a thick white head that seemed to stop just short of the top of the glass. Maybe I had some residue or something in my glass, but I turned my back on the glass for a minute, turned back around and the head had grown aggressively and was rising about 2.5 inches above the rim of the glass.

Smell is crisp and clean with a hint of hops and that familiar Belgian sweetness. Taste has a noticeable sweetness with a touch of hops and spice. Mouthfeel has definite carbonation and finishes very clean.

A very good beer, but there are many other Belgian's that I feel are much better.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light gold color with a huge fluffy white head that lasts and lasts feed by lots of rising bubbles. Tons of lace every where a very nice looking beer.

Aroma is nice light fruity, apple and banana most noticable on top of nice bready malt. Light spicey pepper and grassy hops sneaking into the mix also.Very nice and inviting.

Taste is where it falls short. Kind of, the overpowering carbonation that distracts from the wonderful flavors reminds me of Corsendonk's Brown Ale, not quite as bad though. Taste coming thru the fizz is nice bready malt, fruit banana's dominating again, finishes with light pepper and grassy hops. Will admit by the time I finished the last of the 750ml the carbonation had almost died down to acceptable levels. Don't think a beer should have to sit for an hour to breath though.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp but thecarbonation makes it less the good not bad really but definatly not good.

Drinkability is the same as taste and mouthfeel marked down for the fizz.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Clear gold, ridiculously huge white head. Took almost ten minutes to get the head to settle enough. Aroma of yeast, bread and touch of banana and spice. Little sweet followed by funky Belgian yeast finish. Little lingering bitterness. A very solid Belgian golden, but just not really my thing.

Reviewed from notes
A - Pours soft yellow with a froamy white head

S - Smells citrus and spice with yeastiness.

T - Citrus and spice with yeasty, bready malt. Much like it smells. Slight tartness, like Granny Smith apples maybe.

M: Thin, crisp carbonation.

D: Drinkable standard Belgian. Decent while not great.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a tulip glass. Produced a fizzy white head, 1/2 finger but it seems to be sticking around nicely. Color is straw yellow, very clear with noticeable carbonation bubbles floating to the surface.

Aroma is of bubblegum, coriander, pepper, lemon rind, yeast and a light fruit, maybe pear and the faintest smell of banana. Slightly dry as well.

The mouthfeel is light and delicate with medium carbonation but a bit harsh going down.

Bubblegum carries over from the aroma, along with coriander and a dryness that reminds me of wine. Tart grape is definitely present and followed throughout the pallete. Finishes tart, slightly sweet, bitter and faintly harsh yet clean with little to no lingering flavor except the occasional bubblegum and tart apple. The flavors marry much better as it warms to room temperature, easing the bit of harshness to a muted state.

It's dry. leaves me wanting more to quench my thirst yet no amount satisfies. This is a style of beer that i can respect but don't favor all that much.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased four hours ago and it got mixed up on the drive home; the yeast is well distributed, I probably should have waited at least a day or two to let it settle before opening. I used a Chimay goblet. Exp date Jan 2010.

Pale and pretty much see-through hay colour. High fluffy white head started at three fingers and never went below one or two. Effervescent carbonation, fast rising tiny bubbles. Smell of yeast, hops plus, sour dough, over ripe fruit, maybe peach or banana. A full, chewy mouth feel but with sharp acidity. The taste had me going: cinammon, thyme, more over-ripe fruit but the bitterness has an edge that is sharp and abrupt. I thought the finish was disappointing, not what I anticipated on opening. it reminded me of banana peel. There was some spice in the aftertaste but again with a lot of fermenting fruit sourness.

The 8.1 per cent alcohol was plainly evident and blew me away. I wondered if this was opened prematurely and just needed to mature. I'm curious to put one of these away and see what happens to it by next year.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle Inspection: Best before 09 2008 (enjoyed 04 2006) pouring directions “pour unhurriedly “and details on the back, glass suggestion, web site to get the proper glass, 8.5%.

Aroma: Classic Belgian, almost a Unibroue yeast smell, aromatic malt, white pepper spice

Appearance: Many tiny carbonation streams feed a full white chunky head. Lace hangs over the downward edge in big soapy rings. Glass is a pale gold

Flavor: Aroma broadcasts the flavor pretty accurately. Clean light malt, crisp hops, Belgian yeast, and pepper. No alcohol noted which might be why some call this the Devil!

Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation at almost champagne level, light body, lingering finish

Overall Impression: I first tried this about 3 years ago just as I was getting into BA, and I was disappointed; too much bite, just too funky. Now I find it to be much more enjoyable. I like the Belgian aspects, but the carbonation level is just a bit annoying to me. Even though I’m not wowed, I respect the craftsmanship and enjoyed the stubby little bottle (which will see many future homebrews). I think this is a bit over rated, but a solid beer worth trying.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Decadent and fancy looking but not necessarily the top for me. Taste wise, it's a great belgian. Nice light color, enough carbonation but not too much, but taste was nothing to shout about for me. Great though for celebrations.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Crystal clear light yellow with very full bubbly head very highly carbonated(3/3)
S: Malty nose with sweet citrusy notes (10/12)
T: Super raisiny, full malt character with burnt sugar finish (14/20)
M: Very wet mouth feel, a little dry on finish(4/5)
O: I wasn’t a big fan of this beer the first time I had it, but it’s growing on me. Although the raisin dominates, there is more going on behind the scenes. The nose especially is complex and satisfying. (7/10)
38/50

3.79/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured out a light golden color,,man is this stuff carbonated.Major head and i poured it slowly,,unbelievable amount of carbonation coming up the glass.Smell is sweet,,nothing outstanding.Taste is remarkably light but pleasant considering its alcohol content.Nice mouthfeel.Overall a nice beer,ill have to get a true tulip and re-review.Major lacing thruout the glass still present as i finish the beer.

3.79/5  rDev -10.8%

It was like finding the Holy Grail when I finally saw this available. (Note that I couldn't find a real Duvel Glass for this so you may have to void certain things I saw like the nose)

Appearance: WOW! HEAD GALORE! Tons of effervencense comes up through a beautiful hazy straw color.

Smell: I smell grain, there's probably something else there but that's all i'm picking up.

Taste: It tasted like sourdough bread almost.

Mouthfeel: Best creamy head ever. The beer itself is actually kinda thick and smooth. I get a little tiny bit of a grainy bite but not much.

Drinkability: I could easily drink 4 of these and be retarded but I would feel retarded because why would I spend that kind of money unless I bought it outside of a bar. I would hope that I would be able to appreciate it well enough after 2. Further I'd probably cherish this too much to drink it more once a month.

3.79/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Received a liter bottle of Duvel for Christmas and could not believe I had yet to review this world-famous brew! Here goes... .

Poured into a chilled La Trappe goblet.

Appearance 4.5: Pours out a brilliant, light golden color. Nice 1" head faded slowly into a 1/4" that stuck around the entire session. Good lacing and lots and lots of little champagne-type bubbles all over the place. Just an amazing looking beer in the glass.

Smell 3.5: Very subdued nose. I detect yeast, some malt and a certain very slight hop scent. Kind of a letdown in this category.

Taste 3.75: Front is almost completely void of any taste. I do detect a slight hint of malt, but that's about it. Middle is where a pleasant and warming maltiness seeps in along with a nice feel of alcohol. Finish is slightly sweet and there is a nice taste of light Pilsner malt along with a very light hoppiness. Aftertaste was of medium length and featured more malt and a slight taste of yeast.

Mouthfeel 3.75: The mondo-carbonation made this beer very enjoyable. It certainly concealed many of the beer's defects.

Overall 4.0: Great beer, but I found it a bit off in several vital categories. Smell was far too subdued for the style and the taste was too bland and generic. I was hoping for something more "Belgian"...i.e. a big hit of malt or hops or spicy yeast. Instead, I am left thinking that Duvel is the lager-drinker's Belgian ale. Not that this is bad. It's just that -to me-- Duvel is a bit "dialed down" for the international market. Again, just my opinion and this is not to say that I would not buy Duvel again, I would. Certainly recommended if you have not had it before.

3.79/5  rDev -10.8%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours very light golden, with the infamous Duvel towering white head. Sediment floats about in a strange vapor-like form. Just the head by itself is more complex than most beers, sits on top the whole time, slowly getting all awesome and chunky looking and leaving good lacing. Smell is strong of yeast, lemon, pear. Not a fan of the pilsner malt used, I'm not really a fan of pils in general and gives it the scent a bit of a macro vibe. Tartness hits your mouth right away followed by many tastes, peppery Belgian yeast, apple, white grape, warming alcohol finish. Definitely alot of complexity here. Pretty good mouthfeel, but I have to knock it down to a 3.5. There is a little too much carbonation and alcohol presence for me, but I suppose that is understandable for the style. Feels very heavy too with a very dry finish. I like the complexity and I can understand why people love this beer, maybe I'm not a huge fan of the style. I had Duvel Draft (aka Duvel Green) and preferred that because of the toned down carbonation and alcohol taste.

3.79/5  rDev -10.8%

12oz single bottle into a tulip style glass, fairly fresh bottle also.

A- Bright golden that has some yellow highlights here and there. A steady pour yielded over an inch of fluffy white foam that kept rising, over the rim of the glass actually. some lace and nice looking.

S- A lot of Belgian yeast with some spices in the mix. Not the boldest scents coming from this which is surprising. Some faint fruit off in the distance.

T- Improves upon the smell with more fruits coming through including banana and some apple and pears working well with each other. Belgian yeast blast through with some light hops sneaking through. Some freshly squeezed lemon thrown in as well.

M- A large step below medium bodied with a ton of carbonation which you can tell is there just by looking at it while it is heavy on the tounge. With some warming Duvel gets smoother and is easier to pick up on the tastes.

D- I was not blown away by this but Duvel certainly is worthy of it's place within this style, of which I buy a lot of replica's of which do not compare. A bit high in alcohol which is O.K. by me but a tad to much carbonation.

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

A healthy golden with beautiful white fluffy foamy head. Champagne-like bubbles continuesly rising. Lacing all over the glass. The body looks almost exactly like Delirium Tremens.

Yeasty earthy nose.

Duvel has a bready taste. The yeast is very present. I suppose it is as yeasty and earthy tasting as it smells. Kind of more relaxed and mellower than Delirium.

Very easy going down, and deceptive (concerning the alcohol content). I liked it, but there are other pale Belgian strong ales I would choose first.

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

Hazy pale yellow with a full white head and good carbonation throughout.

Spicy hop aroma (Saaz and Styrian Goldings) with a light fruitiness.

Fruity flavors dominate (orange zest, pears) and alcohol is evident as it warms.

Medium bodied but a very light impression for the strength. Also, very effervescent with a smooth and dry finish.

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

From an 11.2oz bottle good til January 2010.

Pours a clear yellow with tons of head and lots of lacing. Not typically a fan of the pale yellow look, but this one had an amazing head and great retention. At a point, it looked like I had scooped out some whip cream and put it on top.

Smell is fairly sweet with a sharp citrus edge. Bit yeasty.

Strong alcohol taste that is accompanied by the citrus elements and a slight fruit presence, finishes with a pleasant sourness. Carbonation was a bit much for my mouth to handle though.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV