Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,700 | Hads: 7,443
3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

If you wait for the head to disappear on this brew before drinking it you may want to take out a life insurance policy because you'll be waiting awhile. Hazy/cloudy straw yellow coloe. White as snow head. Great lacing.

Smell is sort of average to my nose. Fruity with a definite green apple characteristic. Certainly has that Belgain yeatiness to it as well as the smell of good old alcohol.

For such a strong beer it tasted quite nice. Big malts up front followed by a certain yeastiness. Hop prevalent in the middle and in the aftertaste. Alcohol warms up the palate and tongue in the finish along with a nice dryness. Oh, and as others have mention, watch out for the kick.

Considering how fizzy it was upon pouring, I thought it would be a lot more like champagne that beer. Thankfully it was not.

Certainly a well brewed beer and it lends to my ongoing joke about why the German's occupying Belgium probably got fat and lazy drinking this and others given the high ABV. Not a beer that everyone while enjoy, but a neat experience none-the-less.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

25.4oz bottle, Duvel tulip, best before 11/27/13.

Sunshine pilsener yellow is the color of this vaunted tipple. The head is pure and white as wind driven snow and certainly rivals the best I've ever seen for longevity and pure volume clinging to the glass.

Gentle grainy pale malt, alcohol perfume, slightly funky and minty yeast, and faint herbal hop.

Yeast and herbal hop pick up, I find things rather minty and sweeter than the nose betrayed, honeyed pale malt. A bitterness struggles to be crisp, but it's too sweet in my opinion. I even taste a bit of skunk, but I don't see how this could be light struck; put it down to my taste buds interpretation of the yeast and hops. Wait, band-aid?

At first it was refreshing, but the body feels increasingly heavy as the carbonation fades too quickly.

This falls short for me. BSPA is a style I've been liking more and more lately, but this gold standard falls short for me. It looks amazing though.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Purchased at the LCBO for $3.65/330ml bottle. Served at 8deg C in a challis.

A- Opened with a mighty pop and a TON of head.

S- Bready yeasty yummy good blend.

T- Way overpowered by the carbonation. WAY too young to drink now.

M- Way too carbonated. Hints of yeast and mild malts are not even close to being combined yet.

O- Not bad but needs time for sure in the cellar. Will revise my rating in a couple of years.

Food Pairing

This very young effort pairs well with... Sushi. Like pizza, sushi is adaptable and ready for your own touches.... I tried spicy tuna homemade rolls.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

Watch out when you pour this baby...there is even a warning on the bottle. The head explodes into something similar to what the picture shows above. Very foamy and long lasting. I like a small creamy head and this just was a little too much, so the next few I poured with great care and very little head was produced.

A very vibrant golden color reminicent of...believe it or not...Schlitz. The smell and flavor are far from the Schlitz though. Fruity with a small touch of spice. Reminds me of apple juice. The beer goes down very smooth. Some say you can't tell that there is an alcohol content above 8% but I can taste it. The taste isn't biting like the taste you find with high gravity malt liquors though...more of an acidic apple juice flavor without the acid bite if that makes much sense?

I was expecting great things with this beer, but I didn't quite receive them. It is just a very good easy drinking beer, but not outstanding. Very well ballanced I might add too. I enjoyed it, but for the price, I wouldn't buy it again. Watch the alcohol content, it will sneek up on you.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

I like the Duvel, but I don't love it. The appearance is excellent, gold and clean, and it pours nicely.

The alcohol is less than apparent, with a yeasty almost skunked - bad batch? - nose. Taste is sweet at the start, a bit more bitter towards the back, overall pleasant. Still, there wasn't anything about this beer that really hooked; it's good across the board, but great in few. At least by my taste.

Looking for a clean drinking Belgian Pale with some octane? Go for it. Just keep your expectations reasonable.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

I poured unhurriedly as the 11.2 oz. bottle suggests, and was rewarded with a beautiful clear straw colored body topped with a rich foamy white head.

Yeast and malt on the nose, lovely.

Mostly yeast on the tongue as well, with maybe a light sour apple in the background.

Crisp and bubbly, it finishes clean.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

As I continue to try more Belgian Ales, I finally broke down and bought this one. Poured into a snifter from a 11.2 oz. bottle, which took almost 10 minutes to pour, due to the huge head it created. The beer poured a clear almost white color, settling to a light gold in the glass. Huge thick creamy white head, that very slowly dissipated, with thick spots of lace on the glass. The aroma is slightly fruity. The flavor is not as complex as expected, but still interesting. Fruity flavor, I'm assuming from the yeast, along with a slight hop presence. Light mouthfeel, along with a not-so-smooth finish. The beer had a slight hop-harshness at the end, but still this is a very drinkable Belgian. I can see why it is so popular. Overall, this fullfilled my expectations, and I wouldnt mind having this again very soon.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Crystal clear yellow with big white head. Carbonation is incredibly low.
S: Yeasty with some critus, maybe lemon, notes on the background.
T: The citrus on the smell can be tasted as well but there's some spiciness too.
M: Light but with a heavy end to it.
O: I've had a lot of Duvels before this one and I do think they were better than this one. I'm afraid this Duvel didn't get very well with the cellar.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

This is my second beer that I'm having in honor of fellow BA and Mexico's Beerfly guide, Pepeton. It was his birthday last week. I first had Stone's Double Bastard for his birthday, but I had to cut out most of his birthday greetings from my review because it was too long. Now I'm going to match his Duvel review.

I got the little 330ml/11.2 oz. crazy looking bottle. It's a very unique bottle. I wouldn't even know what to call the shape of the bottle. It has a big bottom and then goes into 2 humps that connects to the small straight neck of the bottle. Can I call it a Penguin bottle? You have to see the bottle for yourself. If you lived in a beer barn all of your life, then you wouldn't know that Duvel is Flemish for Devil. It just has a plain simple front label with the word "Duvel" in big red letters and the Duvel coat of arms above it. No big 12 foot red devil ruling over the 12th level of hell with a pitchfork in hand, just a simple plain white label. The back white label has pouring instructions, information about the beer, US Government warning, and a small black box in the bottom left hand corner that has a best before date and a number that has to meaning to the consumer below that. Mine was best before May 2009.

Appearance: I didn't have the Duvel glass they have pictured on their website or label, so the closest glass I had to that was a Corsendonk Christmas Ale goblet. Worked out just fine. The beer was a hazy golden light lemon yellow or you can say it was a healthy urine yellow. Either way is fine. It had one of the best head of foam that I've seen on a beer. As soon as you pour it, this big fluffy white cloud of foam just rises up so fast that you have to stop pouring half way or it will just overflow the glass. It had excellent retention that left behind 2 tons of white foamy rings and white lace. Sometimes there is more white lace around your glass then beer in your glass. Like the bottle, the head of foam rising up is another thing you need to see for yourself to appreciate from this beer.

Smell: It had an aroma of just cloves, pepper, a hint of yeast, splash of alcohol, and some Belgian fruits in the background. It was more peppery than anything else. Still good, just a bit too peppery.

Taste: It tasted like the Devil himself was dancing on my tongue while wearing his red hot clogs! It really didn't taste like that, but I just had to put it down. It tasted like they really subdued the devil inside this beer. He tried to retaliate at the end, but no problem, they got him a second time. What I'm trying to say is that this beer had strong peppery hops with it's alcohol friend in the beginning, but as soon as it emerged, it was subdued by cloves, yeast, a pinch of toasted malts, and some Belgian fruits. The peppery hops/alcohol tried to come out again, but to no avail. It was already too weak from being conquered by the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: I would have to say that it's in the medium bodied range with an aftertaste of pepper, a smidge of your common bitter hops, and a slight taste of candy sugar in the background.

Drinkability: The back label told me to enjoy this perfection of a beer. Is this beer perfection? Not really. Is it good? Yes! Would I buy it again? Yes, because of the cool funky bottle and to see the massive head of foam just rise up from out of nowhere.

Happy Birthday Pepeton! I Hope you enjoyed my 2 reviews that I had in honor of your birthday! If you're reading this, please send him a birthday beermail. He will appreciate it very much.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

Best before 03/2014. Poured into oversized tulip glass.

A - Giant pillowy white rocky head. Hazy golden with many CO2 bubbles releasing from solution.

S - Spicy and wonderful fruity yeast esters are exceedingly complex. Lemony hops. Touch of soft alcohol. Delicate toasty malt otherwise no other malt smells coming through. A little bit of tartness. No Brett characteristics.

T - Green apple skin, candy sugar doesn't leave a syrupy sweet cloying flavor. Alcohol shines through, could mellow with some aging.

M - Light to medium bodied. Moderate to high carbonation makes for a crisp finish. Dry finish with alcohol warming but not as much as the 8.5% would believe you to think.

O - My Second Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Very nice yeast characteristics. Not hop forward like APA, really its own beast. Well enjoyed

3.81/5  rDev -11%

Review Number 50!!! A little milestone for me. :)
A= amazing! It's a nice golden color that's completely clear when you look through the glass. The head is not to be messed with. Pour it right the first time or you will have to deal with too much or too little head the whole way through because this one lasts all the way. Its clear white like snow and chunky too Big bubbles that kinda look like soap bubbles. Awesome lacing on the glass as well.
S= I picked up booze in the beginning followed by a very tart apple smell to it with some citrus hops deep in there.
T= A little boozy when it's cold but as it warms up a little the apple tartness takes over nicely with some hoppy bitterness to it as well and last is a citrus bite
M= Light smooth and clean all the way. No stickiness or anything here.
D= decent. For some reason I just don't think i enjoyed the taste of this one as much as everyone else so that would defer me a little bit. Also the price is very high so I prolly couldn't afford to drink to many and last but not least the booze would take me down quickly.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a stubby little brown bottle into an oversized wine glass. Poured slightly cloudy that looked wavy and actually really freakin cool(poured it wrong?) Large fluff/foamy brilliant white head that didnt last all that long but looked great. Was hard for me to get the aroma, light fruit, grape? Tasted slight alchohol, white grapes, like a good champagne to me. Lots of carbonation and light feel that gets slighty heavier and warming and dry at the end. I tend to compare this too delirium tremens, very similar however crisper and less fruit flavor going on here. I feel like you could pour this as an alternative to a good champagne and most wouldnt know the difference. Definitely a drinkable beer but the ABV would keep me having only a few spaced out. Ill most likely get the proper duvel glassware and get this again.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Served in a Duvel glass. The beer pours a fizzy straw yellow color with a billowing white head. I get big lemon and lime notes with a dose of sugar and spice in the nose. The flavor is a bit lighter with with citrus and spice. Dry and crisp flavor. This beer is truly classic.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

What can I say about this beer that hasn't already been said?

Pours a clear golden color with a thick white head that seemed to stop just short of the top of the glass. Maybe I had some residue or something in my glass, but I turned my back on the glass for a minute, turned back around and the head had grown aggressively and was rising about 2.5 inches above the rim of the glass.

Smell is crisp and clean with a hint of hops and that familiar Belgian sweetness. Taste has a noticeable sweetness with a touch of hops and spice. Mouthfeel has definite carbonation and finishes very clean.

A very good beer, but there are many other Belgian's that I feel are much better.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light gold color with a huge fluffy white head that lasts and lasts feed by lots of rising bubbles. Tons of lace every where a very nice looking beer.

Aroma is nice light fruity, apple and banana most noticable on top of nice bready malt. Light spicey pepper and grassy hops sneaking into the mix also.Very nice and inviting.

Taste is where it falls short. Kind of, the overpowering carbonation that distracts from the wonderful flavors reminds me of Corsendonk's Brown Ale, not quite as bad though. Taste coming thru the fizz is nice bready malt, fruit banana's dominating again, finishes with light pepper and grassy hops. Will admit by the time I finished the last of the 750ml the carbonation had almost died down to acceptable levels. Don't think a beer should have to sit for an hour to breath though.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp but thecarbonation makes it less the good not bad really but definatly not good.

Drinkability is the same as taste and mouthfeel marked down for the fizz.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Clear gold, ridiculously huge white head. Took almost ten minutes to get the head to settle enough. Aroma of yeast, bread and touch of banana and spice. Little sweet followed by funky Belgian yeast finish. Little lingering bitterness. A very solid Belgian golden, but just not really my thing.

Reviewed from notes
A - Pours soft yellow with a froamy white head

S - Smells citrus and spice with yeastiness.

T - Citrus and spice with yeasty, bready malt. Much like it smells. Slight tartness, like Granny Smith apples maybe.

M: Thin, crisp carbonation.

D: Drinkable standard Belgian. Decent while not great.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured into a tulip glass. Produced a fizzy white head, 1/2 finger but it seems to be sticking around nicely. Color is straw yellow, very clear with noticeable carbonation bubbles floating to the surface.

Aroma is of bubblegum, coriander, pepper, lemon rind, yeast and a light fruit, maybe pear and the faintest smell of banana. Slightly dry as well.

The mouthfeel is light and delicate with medium carbonation but a bit harsh going down.

Bubblegum carries over from the aroma, along with coriander and a dryness that reminds me of wine. Tart grape is definitely present and followed throughout the pallete. Finishes tart, slightly sweet, bitter and faintly harsh yet clean with little to no lingering flavor except the occasional bubblegum and tart apple. The flavors marry much better as it warms to room temperature, easing the bit of harshness to a muted state.

It's dry. leaves me wanting more to quench my thirst yet no amount satisfies. This is a style of beer that i can respect but don't favor all that much.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased four hours ago and it got mixed up on the drive home; the yeast is well distributed, I probably should have waited at least a day or two to let it settle before opening. I used a Chimay goblet. Exp date Jan 2010.

Pale and pretty much see-through hay colour. High fluffy white head started at three fingers and never went below one or two. Effervescent carbonation, fast rising tiny bubbles. Smell of yeast, hops plus, sour dough, over ripe fruit, maybe peach or banana. A full, chewy mouth feel but with sharp acidity. The taste had me going: cinammon, thyme, more over-ripe fruit but the bitterness has an edge that is sharp and abrupt. I thought the finish was disappointing, not what I anticipated on opening. it reminded me of banana peel. There was some spice in the aftertaste but again with a lot of fermenting fruit sourness.

The 8.1 per cent alcohol was plainly evident and blew me away. I wondered if this was opened prematurely and just needed to mature. I'm curious to put one of these away and see what happens to it by next year.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottle Inspection: Best before 09 2008 (enjoyed 04 2006) pouring directions “pour unhurriedly “and details on the back, glass suggestion, web site to get the proper glass, 8.5%.

Aroma: Classic Belgian, almost a Unibroue yeast smell, aromatic malt, white pepper spice

Appearance: Many tiny carbonation streams feed a full white chunky head. Lace hangs over the downward edge in big soapy rings. Glass is a pale gold

Flavor: Aroma broadcasts the flavor pretty accurately. Clean light malt, crisp hops, Belgian yeast, and pepper. No alcohol noted which might be why some call this the Devil!

Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation at almost champagne level, light body, lingering finish

Overall Impression: I first tried this about 3 years ago just as I was getting into BA, and I was disappointed; too much bite, just too funky. Now I find it to be much more enjoyable. I like the Belgian aspects, but the carbonation level is just a bit annoying to me. Even though I’m not wowed, I respect the craftsmanship and enjoyed the stubby little bottle (which will see many future homebrews). I think this is a bit over rated, but a solid beer worth trying.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Decadent and fancy looking but not necessarily the top for me. Taste wise, it's a great belgian. Nice light color, enough carbonation but not too much, but taste was nothing to shout about for me. Great though for celebrations.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Very pretty good color but too much carbonation. The aroma tells the tale of what it was suppose to taste. Nice beer, but didn't fall in love with it.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

A: Crystal clear light yellow with very full bubbly head very highly carbonated(3/3)
S: Malty nose with sweet citrusy notes (10/12)
T: Super raisiny, full malt character with burnt sugar finish (14/20)
M: Very wet mouth feel, a little dry on finish(4/5)
O: I wasn’t a big fan of this beer the first time I had it, but it’s growing on me. Although the raisin dominates, there is more going on behind the scenes. The nose especially is complex and satisfying. (7/10)

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured out a light golden color,,man is this stuff carbonated.Major head and i poured it slowly,,unbelievable amount of carbonation coming up the glass.Smell is sweet,,nothing outstanding.Taste is remarkably light but pleasant considering its alcohol content.Nice mouthfeel.Overall a nice beer,ill have to get a true tulip and re-review.Major lacing thruout the glass still present as i finish the beer.

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%

It was like finding the Holy Grail when I finally saw this available. (Note that I couldn't find a real Duvel Glass for this so you may have to void certain things I saw like the nose)

Appearance: WOW! HEAD GALORE! Tons of effervencense comes up through a beautiful hazy straw color.

Smell: I smell grain, there's probably something else there but that's all i'm picking up.

Taste: It tasted like sourdough bread almost.

Mouthfeel: Best creamy head ever. The beer itself is actually kinda thick and smooth. I get a little tiny bit of a grainy bite but not much.

Drinkability: I could easily drink 4 of these and be retarded but I would feel retarded because why would I spend that kind of money unless I bought it outside of a bar. I would hope that I would be able to appreciate it well enough after 2. Further I'd probably cherish this too much to drink it more once a month.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV