Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,698 | Hads: 7,432
1.62/5  rDev -62.1%

750 mL

A: Looks good, crystal clear with a HUGE head that sticks all over the glass. Lots of bubbles and a very very light yellow color.

S: Spicy and I dont know light? I smell corny but I think a lot of people would get pissy at me but hey fuckem. I smell a spicy coors light, and I swirled and warmed the beer to no end.

T: Meh. I think I just dont like the mouthfeel, but that caried over into the taste. Like drinking air that has spicyness. Not a real fan. The taste has very limited hop presence with a ... no wait no malt prescence because it was so carbonated I couldnt taste a damn thing...

M: Light, dry did I say light? For being so alcholic it doesnt carry over into a unique taste or mouthfeel. Just like an extremly fizzy beer with very few good qualities. Carbonation waaay to high, and I know its a Belgian, which apparently gives it supernatural qualities, but Im calling it saying I think what they did to this beer sucked.

D: I struggled and struggled to finish my 750 mL, but ended up tossing the rest. If you want a quick buzz go for it. But a good beer? Try DFH or stone. Because all I tasted here was hype. Belgian beers can make some crazy good brews, but this was not one of them.

1.86/5  rDev -56.5%

I have heard Duvel mentioned many times since I started visiting this site so when I saw it in the store for the first time I couldn't resist trying it.
The bottle had a best before of November 2005. Seems like a long shelf-life, maybe thats the norm for this style.
It is a pale yellow lemony colour and is cloudy with a very large frothy head that just wont go away. You supposed to drink this through a straw or something?
The smell was active and yeasty with a hint of skunk.
The taste is not for me, I would compare it to a wheat beer which I am also not crazy about.
This beer tastes like what I imagine a beer tasting like in the middle of the brew process.
A real struggle to finish the bottle.

1.86/5  rDev -56.5%

Recalling the massive head this beer pours I poured about as carefully as humanly possible into my snifter. Either this beer is old or I am pretty good at this. Tall white head built from somewhat larger bubbles over a pale and honestly pretty yellow body. The head being kept by multiple streams of bubbles racing to the top. There is a haziness to the body I can only assume comes from yeast.

The nose is dominated by a dry fruity yeast aroma. Mixed in with the yeast are hops but I can't tell which aromas are which here.

Citrus flavors finishing with a dry yeasty finish. Some cloves and a few others spices here as well. There are certainly some flavors here I cannot place, but they are subtle and frankly nothing here excites me what so ever. Where I find Duvel Triple Hop rather exciting, the regular is simply bland and lacking to me.

A very dry and high abv drink here that isn't refreshing. The carbonation requires one to drink slowly or burp uncontrollably.

Medium-thick bodied, but the just insane amount of carbonation on the tongue makes this beer feel very different. Unlike some beers that become creamy form that carbonation this one becomes drier as a result.

1.88/5  rDev -56.1%

A: Hazy, straw yellow with good head retention and thick bonewhite foam.

S: I got really bad aromas with this one, im thinking minnows, bait shop, old water.

T: Had a nice light estery quality with a hint of banana, but predominantly the alcohol is what stood out.

M: Had a soapy wash to it, but as mentioned the burn of the alcohol was most noticed in the mouthfeel.

D: Wouldnt go back, especially for the size and the harshness.

1.96/5  rDev -54.2%

11.26.2011 – Duvel Belgian Golden Ale. ABV: 8.5

Appearance: Bottle says to pour gently, so I started with a gentle pour. But I wasn’t getting any head, so I finish a little more aggressively. Still not much head. Nothing like the picture on the back of the bottle. About a half inch. Maybe the bottle was too cold right out of the fridge? Color is yellow-gold. A little cloudy. Grade: 3

Smell: Not great, a little stale. Reminds me a lot of a Miller High Life. Hoping that taste will not disappoint. I really want to like this beer given it’s “world class” status and all. Grade: 2

Taste: Champagne. Tasteless suds. Strange hoppiness, a little stale tasting. Lots of lemon. Some lilac, especially in the aftertaste. No malt. Grade: 2.5

Mouth: Bubbly as hell. Yes, hell-like is a good way to describe it. Perhaps this is where the “Duvel” name comes from. If I drink slowly, it fills my mouth with soapy suds. If I drink fast, it burns my throat and then fills my belly with soapy suds. (At this point I am wishing I was drinking a Miller High Life.) Grade: 1

Overall: Very disappointed. The smell is a turn off. The taste is a mix of weird and underwhelming. And the mouth is simply unbearable. In the name of non-abuse toward alcohol I will not dump it, but I may try to turn it into the bottom half of a black and tan in hopes of finding a redeeming use for this stuff. (That could be disaster, but it can’t be worse.) I have had Belgian whites and Belgian tripels before, and have liked both, but this particular beer is just not my style. It reminds me of everything I dislike about Pilsner Urquell multiplied by two. I have three more of these, so I may re-review when I am in a forgiving mood. Grade: 1

Served: 33cl Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. (Still love the glass.)

2.06/5  rDev -51.9%

Puchased a 1 pint 9.4oz bottle from Costco.

Golden pale color, white head that reamains throught the pour and while drinking. Smell seems off.

Dont understand the bid deal, skunky like most European beers...nothing special.

Good news....gave me a nice buzz.

2.1/5  rDev -50.9%

Bottle must have been shaken from the car ride home. Foam everywhere and huge pieces of yeast were in the head. I will be revisiting this one eventually.

2.19/5  rDev -48.8%

Assuming I didn't get a bad batch or a bottle from a case left outside for a week in summer, I expected more. To the nose and tongue this beer lacked the Belgian flavors of other golden ales and tasted very much like a high gravity, slightly more flavorful corona. I seriously considered finding a lime. I might try again in the future, but for now I can't say I like it at all.

2.24/5  rDev -47.7%

Well I was really looking forward to trying this beer after all the great reviews....I can say my taste is for sure different that a lot of folks on this site.

First appearance is pretty good with that awesome head that just keeps coming, but the color just seems to be too light and clear, something else is going on here.

Smell, is this an old adjunct of some kind or what?

Taste, is thin, but seems to hide the high abv very well, but again it tastes like an American adjunct to me.

Drink, one is enough, I have 3 more to go and I will finish them somehow, maybe I will become enlightened as to why this beer is supposed to be so great...

2.32/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clearish straw yelow with the trademark Duvel head. The foam lasts quite a while and leaves copious lacing. Smells of citrus and pear, with a bit of hop character and slight alcohol. Heavily (too) sweet. Citrus and other light fruits are again present in the taste, but the hops come forward to add some bitterness. The sweetness is still rather overstated. Some spice, and big alcohol. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky. Not really a fan of this one at all; the ever-present sweet pear taste combined with the alcohol just aren't appealing. I've had this many, many times; it was a cheap nachtwinkel beer in BE that did the job. As a proper beer though, it's bad enough that I sometimes seriously consider pouring it.

2.32/5  rDev -45.8%

I first want to say...Sorry Keith...I tried to like this beer, I really did. I know it is one of your favorites. Anyway, here is my review.

Purchased last night because my buddy KeefD swears by the Belgian beers. I realize that he loves this style. However, I just can't get around the funk taste of them. Don't get me wrong, wonderful look and great mouthfeel but for a Russian Imperial Stout lover, just can't get past the "feels like I am sucking on a field of really weird wildflowers" taste. I realize that Belgium beers use different yeasts than American beers which is all good but just not for me. Great head and lacing.

As far as for saying this is one of the "god of beers"....yeah, I don't think so. As far as for being a "god of cute little wildflowers that tickle your nose beers"...this is more like it. Just my 2.7 cents worth. Take it or leave it...your choice.

As for future Belgium beers, will I be trying them....of course I will. It is all part of the BA adventure. Someday, it is my hope that I will find a "famous" Belgium beer that I do like. In the mean time, I will continue to love my Stouts, Porters, and IPAs.

The next adventure awaits...later.

2.32/5  rDev -45.8%

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that this is the most overrated beer on beeradvocate.com. I’d never had Duvel before–I didn’t realize it was a Belgian. It has to be one of the worst Belgians I’ve ever tasted. It struck me immediately as skunkorama–a la Beck’s.

It did taste quite a bit better when drunk later while eating--with some spicy shrimp and grits. They tended to mask the skunk. Generally, I'd rather not have to worry about masking unpleasant flavors in my beer.

Generally I’m pretty much in agreement with beeradvocate.

2.36/5  rDev -44.9%

I really feel bad saying this, but this beer kinda sucked. The flavor of it was pretty disgusting... tasted almost like a bad witbier. Something about this just turned me off completely. I'm highly dissapointed, given that this is such a "classic" beer. Well... cheers, anways.

2.47/5  rDev -42.3%

Phoosh, off goes the cap with a blast. Pouring it slowly was not enough to tame this wild head. The head literally GROWS before your eyes, forming a peak of meringue so thick, you can float a half dollar on it. The beer itself is highly carbonated. It actually formed whirlpools of spiral bubbles in my glass. The color is crystal clear straw golden. Aroma is typical Weihenstephan Weizen yeast, with that banana/clove tang. Pretty typical in the aroma department. The taste is also pretty typical bavarian wheat, but with a warming punch of alcohol. No lambic aroma or taste. Has a sweetness in the back of the throat for the finish, and not much for hop flavor. Fumes of alcohol warm the nostrils after a hearty gulp. Aside from the wonderful head, I don't know why this beer earns such stellar reviews. It may be a Belgian-style strong pale ale, but it tastes like a typical bavarian wheat, and not even a good one at that. In my opinion, it tastes like a "DoppleWeizen". I had a hard time finishing just one bottle, and would not buy another in the future.

2.6/5  rDev -39.3%

Maybe I have too many good local microbreweries with plenty of Belgians to choose from but I was utterly disappointed with this beer. I prefer a sweet Beligian, so maybe if you enjoy a tasteless, flavorless, non-descript Belgian ale, then this is definitely the beer for you. If you don't have local Belgians try Urthel before you try this. This beer is really WAY overrated on this website.

2.65/5  rDev -38.1%

Pours foam like a Hefe. The Head sticks around for a while.
The first sip was fruity, Lots of CO2. In the next sip I only tasted the sweetness of the 8.5%.
Not really a beer. Too much alcohol. Very hard to drink. Makes you sleepy due to the high ABV.
Overrated and overpriced.
I rather drink a Spaten Optimator if I want a bock beer.

2.68/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The second time was not impressed with taste. I like a fresh taste at end of the beer.

appearance: foamy head, pale straw, golden shine with chunky lacing

smell: sour

taste: a bit metallic , the after taste is like draining cleaner

mouthfeel: s a bit sharp, an alcohol burn lasting 5 seconds.

overall: The first time I tried I like the taste better. The second time was not impressed. It is probably not my style of beer. I like the lage or wheat beers better then this one. It save me money too!

2.68/5  rDev -37.4%

appearance: super foamy head, pale straw, golden shine in light, slight haze, chunky lacing

smell: very clean, almost metallic, faint aroma of hot dogs, slight sour

taste: a bit metallic, im still getting a little bit of hot dog/bologna from somewhere, leaves an alcoholic linger, sweet that turns sour quick

mouthfeel: turns creamy, finish is a bit sharp, slight alcohol burn, highly carbed belgian

overall: not super impressed, usually a fan of belgians, this is a bit less complex than i wanted, strong alcohol/metal taste without much hop or malt character

2.7/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a snifter...

A-Pours a very faint hazy yellow with a massive 3 finger soapy white head that dissipates to about half a head with spotty lacing...

S-Smells like bubbles, very unfamiliar combination of aromas coming off this one but smells like lemon grass and bread with a lot of yeast, slightly fruity i would say...

T-Again like bubbles and grass very faint fruit and a bit like champagne very smooth and slightly dry...not much to my liking

M-Light body with medium carbonation, bitter dry lemon grass and bubbles...

O-Didn't really care for this one, very light, dry and smooth but lacks and any wow factor, tasted like bubbles and a light champagne...it's not a horrible beer i just didn't have the buds for this one i guess...

2.7/5  rDev -36.9%

Bought this in a box of 3 750ml bottles. Been eying it for a while and wanted to give it a try. Bottle conditioned and as this is the 3rd of the 3, all have been slightly different -this the most funky of the bunch. Pours dark gold, thick head fades fairly quickly. Aroma has a slightly stale moldy essence. There is a twang to it, like budweiser with corriander dryhopped. And that is exactly it -an upscale, and expensive bud that has gone bad. I dont mind a little skunk in a green bottle lager, but this was intentional and went horribly wrong. They tried to "high end" this and screwed up when it could have been a decent (and drinkable) mile golden ale. Like a homebrew experiment that failed. Never again.

2.7/5  rDev -36.9%

Must say was looking forward to trying my first Duval and cracked it open, from previous reviews was expecting a huge head but it wasn't there at all. There was plenty of carbonation in the beer, so I don't think it was bum bottle.
The initial taste is quite a wallop to the taste buds, but initially I thought someone had mixed sparkling wine into my beer, a very sweet fruity bite with a bitter aftertaste.
Just didnt do it for me.
Has a nice colour and good aroma when you waft it, but overall just too fruity for me.
An overrated and pretty expensive beer. Won't be giving this one another chance unless someone pours me one.

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%

Im not a Belgian drinker at all but i wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

:Poured into a white wine glass.

Poured a golden color with an extremely full white head which suprised me. The smell was mildly fruity. Very mild. I didnt care for the taste at all. It tasted of over fermented apples. It freaked me out because I thought it was bad but my dad said it was delicious when I made him taste. It was alot more full in body then I expected but it was hard to get over the disctracting taste. I wouldnt drink this on the regular, maybe I need to work my way up to it in the Belgian world.

2.78/5  rDev -35%

We had our neighborhood world beer tasting soiree last night and we tried the Duvel Belgian Golden Ale. The beer poured a straw yellow with a large foamy white head that laces. The smell includes alcohol, cracker, light grass. The taste carries belgium malt and lemon grass zing power the taste. The mouthfeel is big bodied with massive carbonation. The alcohol content make this a tough beer.

2.79/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The color of this beer is a cloudy medium yellow. The aroma you get is a herb and spice smell and is kind of strong. Tasting this beer it is spicy and the finish of this beer is quite dry.

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%

This beer looked very good going into the glass. It had a great white head on it. The aroma was very noticable. This was the first time I have ever experienced a Belgian Strong Ale. I guess I just don't care for the sour aftertase which I believe is typical of the style. I am sure it is a great beer it's class. It is just not for me.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV