Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,676 | Hads: 7,326
2.32/5  rDev -45.9%

I first want to say...Sorry Keith...I tried to like this beer, I really did. I know it is one of your favorites. Anyway, here is my review.

Purchased last night because my buddy KeefD swears by the Belgian beers. I realize that he loves this style. However, I just can't get around the funk taste of them. Don't get me wrong, wonderful look and great mouthfeel but for a Russian Imperial Stout lover, just can't get past the "feels like I am sucking on a field of really weird wildflowers" taste. I realize that Belgium beers use different yeasts than American beers which is all good but just not for me. Great head and lacing.

As far as for saying this is one of the "god of beers"....yeah, I don't think so. As far as for being a "god of cute little wildflowers that tickle your nose beers"...this is more like it. Just my 2.7 cents worth. Take it or leave it...your choice.

As for future Belgium beers, will I be trying them....of course I will. It is all part of the BA adventure. Someday, it is my hope that I will find a "famous" Belgium beer that I do like. In the mean time, I will continue to love my Stouts, Porters, and IPAs.

The next adventure awaits...later. (1,177 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -45.9%

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that this is the most overrated beer on beeradvocate.com. I’d never had Duvel before–I didn’t realize it was a Belgian. It has to be one of the worst Belgians I’ve ever tasted. It struck me immediately as skunkorama–a la Beck’s.

It did taste quite a bit better when drunk later while eating--with some spicy shrimp and grits. They tended to mask the skunk. Generally, I'd rather not have to worry about masking unpleasant flavors in my beer.

Generally I’m pretty much in agreement with beeradvocate. (556 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -45%

I really feel bad saying this, but this beer kinda sucked. The flavor of it was pretty disgusting... tasted almost like a bad witbier. Something about this just turned me off completely. I'm highly dissapointed, given that this is such a "classic" beer. Well... cheers, anways. (277 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -42.4%

Phoosh, off goes the cap with a blast. Pouring it slowly was not enough to tame this wild head. The head literally GROWS before your eyes, forming a peak of meringue so thick, you can float a half dollar on it. The beer itself is highly carbonated. It actually formed whirlpools of spiral bubbles in my glass. The color is crystal clear straw golden. Aroma is typical Weihenstephan Weizen yeast, with that banana/clove tang. Pretty typical in the aroma department. The taste is also pretty typical bavarian wheat, but with a warming punch of alcohol. No lambic aroma or taste. Has a sweetness in the back of the throat for the finish, and not much for hop flavor. Fumes of alcohol warm the nostrils after a hearty gulp. Aside from the wonderful head, I don't know why this beer earns such stellar reviews. It may be a Belgian-style strong pale ale, but it tastes like a typical bavarian wheat, and not even a good one at that. In my opinion, it tastes like a "DoppleWeizen". I had a hard time finishing just one bottle, and would not buy another in the future. (1,060 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -39.4%

Maybe I have too many good local microbreweries with plenty of Belgians to choose from but I was utterly disappointed with this beer. I prefer a sweet Beligian, so maybe if you enjoy a tasteless, flavorless, non-descript Belgian ale, then this is definitely the beer for you. If you don't have local Belgians try Urthel before you try this. This beer is really WAY overrated on this website. (391 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -38.2%

Pours foam like a Hefe. The Head sticks around for a while.
The first sip was fruity, Lots of CO2. In the next sip I only tasted the sweetness of the 8.5%.
Not really a beer. Too much alcohol. Very hard to drink. Makes you sleepy due to the high ABV.
Overrated and overpriced.
I rather drink a Spaten Optimator if I want a bock beer. (333 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The second time was not impressed with taste. I like a fresh taste at end of the beer.

appearance: foamy head, pale straw, golden shine with chunky lacing

smell: sour

taste: a bit metallic , the after taste is like draining cleaner

mouthfeel: s a bit sharp, an alcohol burn lasting 5 seconds.

overall: The first time I tried I like the taste better. The second time was not impressed. It is probably not my style of beer. I like the lage or wheat beers better then this one. It save me money too! (502 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -37.5%

appearance: super foamy head, pale straw, golden shine in light, slight haze, chunky lacing

smell: very clean, almost metallic, faint aroma of hot dogs, slight sour

taste: a bit metallic, im still getting a little bit of hot dog/bologna from somewhere, leaves an alcoholic linger, sweet that turns sour quick

mouthfeel: turns creamy, finish is a bit sharp, slight alcohol burn, highly carbed belgian

overall: not super impressed, usually a fan of belgians, this is a bit less complex than i wanted, strong alcohol/metal taste without much hop or malt character (564 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a snifter...

A-Pours a very faint hazy yellow with a massive 3 finger soapy white head that dissipates to about half a head with spotty lacing...

S-Smells like bubbles, very unfamiliar combination of aromas coming off this one but smells like lemon grass and bread with a lot of yeast, slightly fruity i would say...

T-Again like bubbles and grass very faint fruit and a bit like champagne very smooth and slightly dry...not much to my liking

M-Light body with medium carbonation, bitter dry lemon grass and bubbles...

O-Didn't really care for this one, very light, dry and smooth but lacks and any wow factor, tasted like bubbles and a light champagne...it's not a horrible beer i just didn't have the buds for this one i guess... (770 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -37.1%

Bought this in a box of 3 750ml bottles. Been eying it for a while and wanted to give it a try. Bottle conditioned and as this is the 3rd of the 3, all have been slightly different -this the most funky of the bunch. Pours dark gold, thick head fades fairly quickly. Aroma has a slightly stale moldy essence. There is a twang to it, like budweiser with corriander dryhopped. And that is exactly it -an upscale, and expensive bud that has gone bad. I dont mind a little skunk in a green bottle lager, but this was intentional and went horribly wrong. They tried to "high end" this and screwed up when it could have been a decent (and drinkable) mile golden ale. Like a homebrew experiment that failed. Never again. (712 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -37.1%

Must say was looking forward to trying my first Duval and cracked it open, from previous reviews was expecting a huge head but it wasn't there at all. There was plenty of carbonation in the beer, so I don't think it was bum bottle.
The initial taste is quite a wallop to the taste buds, but initially I thought someone had mixed sparkling wine into my beer, a very sweet fruity bite with a bitter aftertaste.
Just didnt do it for me.
Has a nice colour and good aroma when you waft it, but overall just too fruity for me.
An overrated and pretty expensive beer. Won't be giving this one another chance unless someone pours me one. (630 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -35.9%

Im not a Belgian drinker at all but i wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

:Poured into a white wine glass.

Poured a golden color with an extremely full white head which suprised me. The smell was mildly fruity. Very mild. I didnt care for the taste at all. It tasted of over fermented apples. It freaked me out because I thought it was bad but my dad said it was delicious when I made him taste. It was alot more full in body then I expected but it was hard to get over the disctracting taste. I wouldnt drink this on the regular, maybe I need to work my way up to it in the Belgian world. (598 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -35.2%

We had our neighborhood world beer tasting soiree last night and we tried the Duvel Belgian Golden Ale. The beer poured a straw yellow with a large foamy white head that laces. The smell includes alcohol, cracker, light grass. The taste carries belgium malt and lemon grass zing power the taste. The mouthfeel is big bodied with massive carbonation. The alcohol content make this a tough beer. (393 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -35%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The color of this beer is a cloudy medium yellow. The aroma you get is a herb and spice smell and is kind of strong. Tasting this beer it is spicy and the finish of this beer is quite dry. (188 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -34.7%

This beer looked very good going into the glass. It had a great white head on it. The aroma was very noticable. This was the first time I have ever experienced a Belgian Strong Ale. I guess I just don't care for the sour aftertase which I believe is typical of the style. I am sure it is a great beer it's class. It is just not for me. (335 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -34.7%

Poured this beer into a 50 degree Duvel glass. The beer was very pretty with a most gorgeous thick creamy white head that made little burgs in the glass. Beer had a slightlty sour smell. High alcohol made for a rather sweet brew I thought with a slight burn after but not bad. I know this beer is revered by many and I think everyone should try it, but it is just not my cup of beer. Will not buy again. (403 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -34.5%

Was excited to try this beer after drinking Chimay.

This poured a lovely pale with nice white head that would not go away. Lacing stayed for ever. Very nice. Lots of bubbles. Lots!

Smell. Strong yeast, bread, biscutty smell.

taste... well.. I could tell this was good quality stuff but I just do not like this type of beer I guess. Very yeasty and just not pleasant to drink. I did not like it. I guess I just don't like this type.

Very strong beer so be careful!! (471 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -33.8%

A heavy blonde beer you can find everywhere in Belgium or in France. Classical smell fot that kind of beer. In fact I must admit that subtlety is not his first quality. In my opinion it is has a conventional aspect. Okay to drink but overestimated in my opinion. (262 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -33.3%

Appearance and aroma similar to what a lot of guys on here have already said, but I wasn't crazy about the taste. Had a more experienced beer drinking buddy over and he said it might have been exposed to too much light. I will definitely try this again in the future, but as of now, I'm not crazy about it. (306 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -33.1%

appearance - i do as the bottle instructs(how i pour all my beers anyway), slowly pour about one ounce and have to stop because my glass almost foams over. takes about 3 minutes for the foam to go down so i can pour another once. color is almost water like with a small tint of yellow. so far it looks and pours just like a coors light. its very ironic how it recieved so many high marks for appearance while the same people would probably slam identical appearing beers such as coors light.

smell - like mainstream american crap beer, but with a slightly more sweet presence that lets you know it will probably taste better.

taste - it didnt taste much better. its like a slightly improved coors light, with a sweeter, fruity taste that becomes sour as soon as you swallow. not much depth or complexity at all. not much else to say, very disappointing.

mouthfeel - extreme carbonation makes for a thin, sour, unpleasant mouthfeel.

drinkability - i was all exited to try this one but i failed to finish my 11.2 oz bottle. for reasons listed above. tastes like something id drink out of a keg at a party. (1,115 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -33.1%

750 ml purchased from Cost Plus. Drink before date on label, with a cask-top. Had a nice pop, should be very fresh.

A - Pale, yellow pour with firm body, lots of dsh-soap colored head, with bits of clumpy proteins.

S - Apple, pears, ester, and almond immediately fills the nostril with delight.

T - Notes of anjou pear, ester, with little taste of pepper, and an earthy-hoppy finish.

M - Moderate-heavy carbonation, light note of alcohol on finish, and moderately sour. Almost feels like it should be classed as a lager based on color and carbonation (but not abv content).

D - Recommend drinking in small quantities as an appertif or with a fruit-based dessert.

As much as I enjoy Belgians, and especially golden ales (see Delirium and Damnation), I really did not care for this one due to the moderate sourness and earthy finish. :( (842 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -33.1%

I'll be honest. I know it's considered the defining beer of the style, but I've just never cared that much for Duvel. It's the light lager of Belgian ales, even down to that lightly sulfury aroma. It's clear and pretty with a billowing head, high carbonation and light body, little flavor but a slightly sweet graininess. An easy drinking 8.5% but so boring. If I'm going to have this much alcohol, I'd prefer to get flavor along with it. (443 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I bought this beer liking the way it looked on the shelf. It pours into a glass very nicely with a good bit of head. The aroma is a fruity taste with a kind of bitter finish. Overall it was a good beer but way over my price range for the taste even tho it has a fancy looking bottle. (283 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -32.4%

Rich golden with lasting white head served in the trappist glass. Smell is yeasty a bit with a corn like malt aroma. It is highly carbonated, refreshing simple and drinkable with a slightly spiced yeast character. The alchohol is well hidden for 8.5%. Decent. (259 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -32.4%

Wow, this beer is rated pretty high on this site...Sorry, didn't really care for it. Got a taste of apple and plum, but the conditioning was way to harsh for me. This is one of those times where I tend to differ with the crowd. I do understand this style, but I don't care for this one... (288 characters)

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV