Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
caustin90

12-07-2011 04:40:30 | More by AlaskanYoung
SmokeyP

Arizona

2.05/5  rDev -51.9%

Puchased a 1 pint 9.4oz bottle from Costco.

Golden pale color, white head that reamains throught the pour and while drinking. Smell seems off.

Dont understand the bid deal, skunky like most European beers...nothing special.

Good news....gave me a nice buzz.

SmokeyP

06-16-2013 23:56:25 | More by SmokeyP
troppoveloce

Washington

2.18/5  rDev -48.8%

Assuming I didn't get a bad batch or a bottle from a case left outside for a week in summer, I expected more. To the nose and tongue this beer lacked the Belgian flavors of other golden ales and tasted very much like a high gravity, slightly more flavorful corona. I seriously considered finding a lime. I might try again in the future, but for now I can't say I like it at all.

12-23-2013 23:36:31 | More by troppoveloce
swede96

2.2/5  rDev -48.4%

Well I was really looking forward to trying this beer after all the great reviews....I can say my taste is for sure different that a lot of folks on this site.

First appearance is pretty good with that awesome head that just keeps coming, but the color just seems to be too light and clear, something else is going on here.

Smell, is this an old adjunct of some kind or what?

Taste, is thin, but seems to hide the high abv very well, but again it tastes like an American adjunct to me.

Drink, one is enough, I have 3 more to go and I will finish them somehow, maybe I will become enlightened as to why this beer is supposed to be so great...

12-23-2010 20:57:53 | More by swede96

10-26-2012 02:27:42 | More by swungomonkey
philipquarles

Connecticut

2.28/5  rDev -46.5%

Pours a clearish straw yelow with the trademark Duvel head. The foam lasts quite a while and leaves copious lacing. Smells of citrus and pear, with a bit of hop character and slight alcohol. Heavily (too) sweet. Citrus and other light fruits are again present in the taste, but the hops come forward to add some bitterness. The sweetness is still rather overstated. Some spice, and big alcohol. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky. Not really a fan of this one at all; the ever-present sweet pear taste combined with the alcohol just aren't appealing. I've had this many, many times; it was a cheap nachtwinkel beer in BE that did the job. As a proper beer though, it's bad enough that I sometimes seriously consider pouring it.

08-06-2008 17:48:42 | More by philipquarles
santoslhalper

2.3/5  rDev -46%

I really feel bad saying this, but this beer kinda sucked. The flavor of it was pretty disgusting... tasted almost like a bad witbier. Something about this just turned me off completely. I'm highly dissapointed, given that this is such a "classic" beer. Well... cheers, anways.

01-28-2005 04:10:39 | More by santoslhalper
schellsbeer

2.3/5  rDev -46%

I first want to say...Sorry Keith...I tried to like this beer, I really did. I know it is one of your favorites. Anyway, here is my review.

Purchased last night because my buddy KeefD swears by the Belgian beers. I realize that he loves this style. However, I just can't get around the funk taste of them. Don't get me wrong, wonderful look and great mouthfeel but for a Russian Imperial Stout lover, just can't get past the "feels like I am sucking on a field of really weird wildflowers" taste. I realize that Belgium beers use different yeasts than American beers which is all good but just not for me. Great head and lacing.

As far as for saying this is one of the "god of beers"....yeah, I don't think so. As far as for being a "god of cute little wildflowers that tickle your nose beers"...this is more like it. Just my 2.7 cents worth. Take it or leave it...your choice.

As for future Belgium beers, will I be trying them....of course I will. It is all part of the BA adventure. Someday, it is my hope that I will find a "famous" Belgium beer that I do like. In the mean time, I will continue to love my Stouts, Porters, and IPAs.

The next adventure awaits...later.

03-15-2009 14:52:32 | More by schellsbeer
glenviewjeff

2.3/5  rDev -46%

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that this is the most overrated beer on beeradvocate.com. I’d never had Duvel before–I didn’t realize it was a Belgian. It has to be one of the worst Belgians I’ve ever tasted. It struck me immediately as skunkorama–a la Beck’s.

It did taste quite a bit better when drunk later while eating--with some spicy shrimp and grits. They tended to mask the skunk. Generally, I'd rather not have to worry about masking unpleasant flavors in my beer.

Generally I’m pretty much in agreement with beeradvocate.

04-30-2013 22:48:10 | More by glenviewjeff
Mitchster

2.42/5  rDev -43.2%

Phoosh, off goes the cap with a blast. Pouring it slowly was not enough to tame this wild head. The head literally GROWS before your eyes, forming a peak of meringue so thick, you can float a half dollar on it. The beer itself is highly carbonated. It actually formed whirlpools of spiral bubbles in my glass. The color is crystal clear straw golden. Aroma is typical Weihenstephan Weizen yeast, with that banana/clove tang. Pretty typical in the aroma department. The taste is also pretty typical bavarian wheat, but with a warming punch of alcohol. No lambic aroma or taste. Has a sweetness in the back of the throat for the finish, and not much for hop flavor. Fumes of alcohol warm the nostrils after a hearty gulp. Aside from the wonderful head, I don't know why this beer earns such stellar reviews. It may be a Belgian-style strong pale ale, but it tastes like a typical bavarian wheat, and not even a good one at that. In my opinion, it tastes like a "DoppleWeizen". I had a hard time finishing just one bottle, and would not buy another in the future.

01-09-2003 16:08:37 | More by Mitchster