Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

pDev: 12%
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
1.83/5  rDev -56.9%

Recalling the massive head this beer pours I poured about as carefully as humanly possible into my snifter. Either this beer is old or I am pretty good at this. Tall white head built from somewhat larger bubbles over a pale and honestly pretty yellow body. The head being kept by multiple streams of bubbles racing to the top. There is a haziness to the body I can only assume comes from yeast.

The nose is dominated by a dry fruity yeast aroma. Mixed in with the yeast are hops but I can't tell which aromas are which here.

Citrus flavors finishing with a dry yeasty finish. Some cloves and a few others spices here as well. There are certainly some flavors here I cannot place, but they are subtle and frankly nothing here excites me what so ever. Where I find Duvel Triple Hop rather exciting, the regular is simply bland and lacking to me.

A very dry and high abv drink here that isn't refreshing. The carbonation requires one to drink slowly or burp uncontrollably.

Medium-thick bodied, but the just insane amount of carbonation on the tongue makes this beer feel very different. Unlike some beers that become creamy form that carbonation this one becomes drier as a result.

bobhits, Mar 09, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -55.3%

A: Hazy, straw yellow with good head retention and thick bonewhite foam.

S: I got really bad aromas with this one, im thinking minnows, bait shop, old water.

T: Had a nice light estery quality with a hint of banana, but predominantly the alcohol is what stood out.

M: Had a soapy wash to it, but as mentioned the burn of the alcohol was most noticed in the mouthfeel.

D: Wouldnt go back, especially for the size and the harshness.

BasementBer, May 22, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -53.4%

11.26.2011 – Duvel Belgian Golden Ale. ABV: 8.5

Appearance: Bottle says to pour gently, so I started with a gentle pour. But I wasn’t getting any head, so I finish a little more aggressively. Still not much head. Nothing like the picture on the back of the bottle. About a half inch. Maybe the bottle was too cold right out of the fridge? Color is yellow-gold. A little cloudy. Grade: 3

Smell: Not great, a little stale. Reminds me a lot of a Miller High Life. Hoping that taste will not disappoint. I really want to like this beer given it’s “world class” status and all. Grade: 2

Taste: Champagne. Tasteless suds. Strange hoppiness, a little stale tasting. Lots of lemon. Some lilac, especially in the aftertaste. No malt. Grade: 2.5

Mouth: Bubbly as hell. Yes, hell-like is a good way to describe it. Perhaps this is where the “Duvel” name comes from. If I drink slowly, it fills my mouth with soapy suds. If I drink fast, it burns my throat and then fills my belly with soapy suds. (At this point I am wishing I was drinking a Miller High Life.) Grade: 1

Overall: Very disappointed. The smell is a turn off. The taste is a mix of weird and underwhelming. And the mouth is simply unbearable. In the name of non-abuse toward alcohol I will not dump it, but I may try to turn it into the bottom half of a black and tan in hopes of finding a redeeming use for this stuff. (That could be disaster, but it can’t be worse.) I have had Belgian whites and Belgian tripels before, and have liked both, but this particular beer is just not my style. It reminds me of everything I dislike about Pilsner Urquell multiplied by two. I have three more of these, so I may re-review when I am in a forgiving mood. Grade: 1

Served: 33cl Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. (Still love the glass.)

Haufniensis, Nov 27, 2011

Kal, Dec 24, 2013

garyford, Feb 15, 2012

AlaskanYoung, Dec 07, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -51.8%

Puchased a 1 pint 9.4oz bottle from Costco.

Golden pale color, white head that reamains throught the pour and while drinking. Smell seems off.

Dont understand the bid deal, skunky like most European beers...nothing special.

Good news....gave me a nice buzz.

SmokeyP

SmokeyP, Jun 17, 2013
2.18/5  rDev -48.7%

Assuming I didn't get a bad batch or a bottle from a case left outside for a week in summer, I expected more. To the nose and tongue this beer lacked the Belgian flavors of other golden ales and tasted very much like a high gravity, slightly more flavorful corona. I seriously considered finding a lime. I might try again in the future, but for now I can't say I like it at all.

troppoveloce, Dec 23, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -48.2%

Well I was really looking forward to trying this beer after all the great reviews....I can say my taste is for sure different that a lot of folks on this site.

First appearance is pretty good with that awesome head that just keeps coming, but the color just seems to be too light and clear, something else is going on here.

Smell, is this an old adjunct of some kind or what?

Taste, is thin, but seems to hide the high abv very well, but again it tastes like an American adjunct to me.

Drink, one is enough, I have 3 more to go and I will finish them somehow, maybe I will become enlightened as to why this beer is supposed to be so great...

swede96, Dec 23, 2010

WckdVbz, Aug 12, 2014

Metal4Breakfast, Mar 12, 2012

Stinger80OH, Jul 22, 2012

Joaco, Mar 27, 2012

swungomonkey, Oct 26, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clearish straw yelow with the trademark Duvel head. The foam lasts quite a while and leaves copious lacing. Smells of citrus and pear, with a bit of hop character and slight alcohol. Heavily (too) sweet. Citrus and other light fruits are again present in the taste, but the hops come forward to add some bitterness. The sweetness is still rather overstated. Some spice, and big alcohol. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky. Not really a fan of this one at all; the ever-present sweet pear taste combined with the alcohol just aren't appealing. I've had this many, many times; it was a cheap nachtwinkel beer in BE that did the job. As a proper beer though, it's bad enough that I sometimes seriously consider pouring it.

philipquarles, Aug 06, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -45.9%

I really feel bad saying this, but this beer kinda sucked. The flavor of it was pretty disgusting... tasted almost like a bad witbier. Something about this just turned me off completely. I'm highly dissapointed, given that this is such a "classic" beer. Well... cheers, anways.

santoslhalper, Jan 28, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -45.9%

I first want to say...Sorry Keith...I tried to like this beer, I really did. I know it is one of your favorites. Anyway, here is my review.

Purchased last night because my buddy KeefD swears by the Belgian beers. I realize that he loves this style. However, I just can't get around the funk taste of them. Don't get me wrong, wonderful look and great mouthfeel but for a Russian Imperial Stout lover, just can't get past the "feels like I am sucking on a field of really weird wildflowers" taste. I realize that Belgium beers use different yeasts than American beers which is all good but just not for me. Great head and lacing.

As far as for saying this is one of the "god of beers"....yeah, I don't think so. As far as for being a "god of cute little wildflowers that tickle your nose beers"...this is more like it. Just my 2.7 cents worth. Take it or leave it...your choice.

As for future Belgium beers, will I be trying them....of course I will. It is all part of the BA adventure. Someday, it is my hope that I will find a "famous" Belgium beer that I do like. In the mean time, I will continue to love my Stouts, Porters, and IPAs.

The next adventure awaits...later.

schellsbeer, Mar 15, 2009