Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,686 | Hads: 7,378
4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

best before date 10/08. 330 ml bottle pored into a snifter. pores a light gold color with a massive white fluffy head that never goes away. leaves great lacing.

aroma is spicey, yeasty, lemony, bready and malty.

the taste has just the perfect amount of spiceness to it. lightly malted, riped fruits, floral hops and yeast.

big thick bubbly mouthfeel. goes down clean and smooth.

a fine easy drinkable belgian ale this is. one of my favorites.

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Excelent beer. Nice presentation, clear and golden in color, with a nice head. The aroma is mesmerizing, lures you to drink the beer, very alcoholic with malt tones, spices.

Heavy carbonation, very crispy, you can feel the bubbles in the top of your tongue. Medium smooth body, some smoothness coming from the carbonation. Spices Warming alchohol at the end of the beer. Very easy to drink, you just feel the need for another sip.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A--Pours a massive volcanic head, better measured in hands than fingers, that's pure fluffy white with lots of loose bubbly sheeting leaving cotton candy lacy all down the glass as the head won't quit through the tasting. Body is pure tawny, a little more brown than a pilsner and clear as stained glass with a nice bubble thread percolating from the bottom "D" in the glass. This beer seems alive.

S--Tons of yeast, smells like dough, like a proof starter for a fancy breadloaf. I also caught some lemon astringency that clarified and stung the yeast, followed by some fresh hoppy bark that cut into my nosehairs. Strap in, kiddies.

T--Doesn't disappoint. This is like beer that goes to 11. Every aspect--the yeast, the malt, and the hops--is on overdrive, and somehow doesn't compete or crowd out. Everything compliments, and there is nothing but pure fermented grain coming through here. The yeast really assaults you at first with that Belgian glory of musty citrus, and the backend of the hops smacks you with dry like a cold wet fish you can't get off the line. To push the metaphor, this puppy don't let you off the hook. Malt vertebrae keep everything from teetering wildly off course.

M&D--I hate carbonation. I like a beer that tastes like a door after you remove the hinges--a thudding flatness. But the devil won me over, as the bubbles make it more champagne-like than astringent. Absolutely refreshing and absolutely drop you on the floor potent at the same time. Not many beers can say that--this is a creeper not to be trifled with, and more or less embodies this website's injunction to "respect beer." Good God does damnation taste fine.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

DATE REVIEWED: June 26, 2014... GLASSWARE: Duvel snifter... OCCASION: NBA Draft Day 2014--Cavs take Wiggins and intend to keep him...APPEARANCE: two-tiered head--rocky, mountainous atop bubbly,, crystal white that occupies half the glass; slightly opaque golden body with a wellspring of bubbles centering the glass; lacing is appealing... AROMA: brilliant pilsner introduction; fragrant floral, perfumed hops; some suggestions of pepper...desirable... PALATE: quick, aggressively smooth with a solid, lingering finish--a bit dry and mouth-watering... TASTE: honey and hops are warming--nectar of the gods! a bit sweet, like a Riesling--but oh so rewarding... OVERALLL: only three sips are needed to bring the tingle, not unlike your team drafting first overall for the third time in four years; as its name suggests, sadistically drinkable, tempting with crisp, clean flavor, then punishing with cruel, powerful alcoholic hammers...the steep price--literally and figuratively--is unfortunately warranted.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance briliant golden yellow huge white head that stuck around for a while. I think the appearance was one of this beers strongest points. Smell I smell Sazz as well as some english hops also had some yeasty notes as well. Taste nice cookie/breadlike backbone followed by a wallop of spicy hops and alcohol. Mouthfeel mediem body and high carbonation. Drinkability a great before dinner beer.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

crisp yellow with a picturesque head that rises and falls at will. what should beer look like? this. aromas of sweet and spicy malts and notable yeast, only hinting at traditional belgian odors. champagne in the mouth -- crisp carbonation and a dry finish. drink quickly and enjoy the carefree nature of the beer, or sip slowly and discover the hints of fruitiness, floral elements, and spices. drinkable, addictive, and never hints at its abv (until it hits your constitution, of course).

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Bright gold, cloudy. A thick and creamy head with great head retention.

S: Strong yeast, sweet malts, pepper, spices, and lemons.

T: Sweet, fruity flavors. Fairly hoppy but not overly bitter. Pale malts that ballance the hops. Some mild pine and citrus notes.

M: Smooth texture, lively on the tongue.

This is one of those memorable beers. Once you have had a Duvel you will remember it.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a stubby into a snifter. Pours clear golden with a ridiculous white frothy heading that lasts to the very end. A nice fruity smell with different smells of malts and hops.A very sweet taste alot like an apple,an awesome juicy taste.This beer is like drinking champagne truly the best beer I've had. Was very aggravated when I first opened this brew as it exploded all over my hands. Like someone played a trick on me and put it into a paint shaker.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

I don't know why I put off this beer for so long. I feel like a massive idiot now.

Upon cracking the bottle and pouring, I got a 3 finger off-white head in a tulip glass. The beer itself is pale straw color and crystal clear, with streams of bubbles running from the bottom of the glass.
The bubbles making up the head are very uniform in size. Nifty.

I smell malt and sour green apple, mostly.

It tastes tart, fresh, and dry, and is very effervescent. Fresh flavors like straw, with fruity additions like bubblegum and pear. Snappy alcohol at the finish that does not feel hot. Delicious and never overbearing. Duvel is very smooth in the mouth. I will be coming back to this one for sure.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a clear pint glass. If I drank this from a Duvel tulip glass, would it garner a higher score? Best before 01/2012? If true, why hurry?

A-Pours a pale clear, golden yellow. Looks a lot like a pilsner. A three finger bright white head ensued. Heavy, stick lace. I have never seen a beer produce such profuse lace. A gorgeous appearing beer.

S-Aroma was the weakest characteristic to me. Present were fruity, yeasty, sweet candy and malty notes.

T-Tantalizing. Bohemian hops and pilsner malts predominate producing an amazingly crisp, clean, and refreshing beer that is sweet like pears with a zesty lemon twang, and a very slight, pleasantly so, clove like yeast taste. Surprisingly, I can't taste the alcohol. I like this better as the temperature rises above the brewer's recommended 40-50 degree Fahrenheit.

M-Very smooth for 8.5% ABV. Carbonation level is perfect. Light like a pilsner, but full flavored like an ale. The Moortgat Family hit a home run with this, if they can appreciate the metaphor from the great American pastime.

D-Amazingly so, for a beer with 8.5% ABV. I only believe this because of the label and the beginning of a buzz.

This is a world class, extraordinary beer. Wish I had a good-looking stranger to enjoy this with, as the label suggests, but then I would need more than one 750ml bottle.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Duvel pours the typical bright, clear yellow-gold color of many belgians, but the head, if possible, stands out from the rest. It is huge (3 inches high) white and fluffy as fresh snow, and has ridiculous retention time. The lacing is thick and foamy as well, and leaves no part of the glass untouched. The head is still here 5 minutes later, even after drinking, and I have it all over my nose.

Speaking of the nose, it's quite a thing to behold as well. Ripe apple, pear, and banana with some spicy yeast and buttery pilsner malt comprise the aroma, all melding together in a strong yet tame awesome aromatic adventure. Alliteration aside, this thing smells nice.

On the tongue, Duvel has elements similar to the nose like the ripe pears and apples, but a bit of citrus thrown in for good measure as well. Banana lingers in there too, accompanied by some buttery-cracker like malt flavor (the pilsner malts, according to the label), all backed up by some zesty, spicy yeast flavor and a bit of dry hoppiness. This beer is complex, flavorful, but mellow and extremely enjoyable.

If you need a second opinion, my roommate just walked in and took a sip, said "That's the fucking SHIT!" then walked out, only to return and steal more a few moments later. This beer is strangely addicting; I've never been the biggest fan of Belgians (I'd rather have a fresh American IPA), but this is by far and away my favorite and I can't put it down.

The mouthfeel is perfect. I know Miller High-Life claims it, but this is the real champagne of beers. Light, zesty carbonation over top of a buttery smooth medium bodied beer creates the perfect crisp and smooth drinking experience.

I've heard the hype. I have friends studying abroad in Belgium who drink this like its water, and now I know why. Belgians aren't my favorite type of beers, but this is the best of the Belgian Strong Pale Ale category and the best Belgian I've had period. Truly complex and packed with tons of flavor and good-looks, this beer remains so drinkable that I'm almost done with the bomber after pouring it only ~ten minutes ago. The only downside is the alcohol, which I'm starting to feel. Still, this is the highest rating I've given out to a beer to date, and it blows my mind that it goes to a Belgian. But Duvel certainly deserves it.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a bottle into a stemless red wine glass -- I don't own a proper tulip, but thought a big red wine glass would at least keep the aroma in my snout while drinking this gem!

When poured, the bubbles just keep rising in a very elegant and champagne-like style. And the head that appears is simply striking and it doesn't go away. It's like a beautiful cloud of goodness atop a glass of heaven.

The smell is complex and pleasant. There are certainly some lemony scents, but along with the citrus tones are spices (I don't know, maybe ginger or coriander??) and just a little bit of alcohol along with some sweet contrasts to the citrus bite. It's wonderful.

The taste is a continuation of the aroma. Bubbly, spicy, tiny amounts of the hops, it's a beer you could almost chew. The heavy carbonation acts as a way to diffuse the enjoyment all around the mouth. There is a little hint of alcohol, just in case you've forgotten it's 8.5% ABV. The alcohol content (for me, at least) makes this a beer to truly enjoy, but in proper quantities. Session this beer and pay the price! But the taste makes me want to session.

Overall this is truly a world-class brew, and I consider it lucky that my local drive through in a town of 17,000 people carries it! My wife (who's become a bit of an enthusiast quickly!) proclaims it to be the best beer she's ever tasted, and I tend to agree.

Try this one, you'll not be sad for it!

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Bottle with a "best before" date of 09 2011 poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

A- Even a conservative pour left a 2+ finger, pillowy, white head. This head never fully drops and leaves wonderful sticky spots oon the side of the glass. The body is a clean, golden color with pleanty of heavy carbonation rushing toward the surface.

S- Duvel's aroma has always reminded me green apple. There's a pleasant mustiness, a hint of alcohol, and mix of spices (maybe a touch of black pepper in there).

T- More of that great combination of fruit and spice suggested by the aroma. There's more green apple and pepper along with a touch of alcohol. It finishes clean and dry.

M- It leaves a very dry feel in the mouth. There's a good prick on the tongue that I'd attribute to a combination of hopping, high carbonation levels, and relatively high ABV.

D- This beer is just so good. Whenever I drink this beer, I feel like reaching for another. Drinker beware: The alcohol can easily sneak up on you.

Overall: There are very few beers that I associate with the "face" of a style. Duvel is what I think of when somebody mentions a Belgian Strong Pale (or Golden) Ale. Everything I drink in that category, I find myself comparing to this beer. It's hard for me to think of a way to improve this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Tried at Onion Creek bar/grill in Houston, TX. Poured this into a tulip Duvel glass. YOU better try this beer you Belgian lover you. Read no further if you haven't tried this yet and go get one.

Appearance: beautiful, it pours one of the thickest heads I've seen, half the beer takes up more than half the glass on a decent pour. Lace is there.

Taste: Fruit hops that accompany the poignant smells. Creamy champagne with a balanced sweet spice that warms the mouth. I taste a mix of lemon and apple/pear. Although the color is fairly light, don't let this trick you. It is a mouthfeel with moving carbonation and little alcohol tones that lies behind the boldness of the beer that is disguised by the lighter color.

Drink it.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Well my batting order for trying the Belgians went Chimay, Corsendonk, and then Duvel and this was my favorite beer for a very long time. NEver got around to reviewing it till now.

750 ML bottle ppured into my Duvel tulip.

A - A 5 by far, especially because this is one of those brews that has its own look. It's a pale golden color with tons of carbonation feeding a HUGE head of pure white foam. Over all the time I've been drinking this I've perfected the pour that is desctibed on the bottle and illustrated by video on their website. A pale golden color up to the middle of the letters in Duvel and then a bubbly white head filling the rest of the tulip. Truly a marvelous sight. The most lacing I've ever seen in a beer.

S - The pilsner malt comes through in the smell along with some granny smith apple and an alcohol kick. The yeast is prevelent throughout as well.

T - One of the best balanced beers I've ever had. It seems like the malt sweetness, yeasty taste and slight hoppiness all take turns on this one. The alcohol provides a grand finale of warming at the end. Definitely a unique and wonderful taste.

M - A ton of champagne bubbles tickle the tongue. They make the warming feel even better.

D - I want more every time I take a swallow.

Notes: An old favorite. both sentimentally and tastewise. Glad I finally picked up a bottle for review. I forgot just how good and unique this beer is and I now remember why my avatar and desktop both feature Duvel pics. A truly great Belgian strong pale ale and A great change of pace for me from all the hop bombs and stouts I've been into lately. I love this beer. One thing I will say though is that I've never drank this beer without proper glassware and I don't know if it would be quite the same without it.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Have had this more times than I can remember. Always a go-to-beer for good occasions. Four pack of 11.2 oz brown stubby bottles poured into my Duvel tulip glass.
A good pour lends itself to a heavy tall standing head trying to climb out of the glass, very sticky foam clings as it slowly settles down into small mounds of froth. Color is pale light gold.
Smell is bready, pepper, banana, malt sweetness, maybe some grassy hops.. not sure (nose has been congested for over a month, damn seasonal allergies!) Taste is amazing, everything the smell would entice and more. Clean pale malt, crisp sparkling carbonation, juicy, warming alcohol, whatever it is! It's effin great.

If I were a rich man, this would replace my Budweiser nights.. But alas, craft brews are a once/twice/thrice a week thing in my circumstance which I begrudgingly accept. Despite 8.5% abv, I would drink this all night. An all around great beer which I always return to.

Anyone who says they don't like beer.. hand them a bottle of Duvel, we'll have converts for sure! Truth!

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer is the reason I'm here on beer advocate. It showed me there were incredible beers out there that I needed to find. I drank guinness like a fish before trying this beer, happy and content in my ignorant bliss. Now I rarely will go to the neighborhood bar, and my fridge looks like a liquor store of fine beers.

First as you pour this beer you must be careful not to have the head explode all over place. It rises like an atomic mushroom cloud, a yeast explosion that ends up like meringue filling the top third of your glass.

The smell to me is apples, green sour apples. Lemons come up a little but it smells alive and fresh.

The first sip is like super carbonated and dry but still has alot of body. It fills your mouth with the carbonation but after you swallow it's that famous AHHHH from every Coke commercial. It's not heavy, little or no alcohol bite, but it can sneak up on you. It starts to warm you up and you sense that you better slow down a bit and sip.

You can drink this very easily if you don't believe me google the "Duvel challenge". It's light and fresh but it will kick your ass if you over-endulge.

I think Duvel gets a slightly bad rap because it is becoming more available. Just because my local grocery store carries it doesn't mean it's suddenly bad. I'm sure Point Beer is rare in Belgium. Maybe they'll make a trade...

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Probably one of the best beers in the world, this foamy, golden Belgian Ale is meticulously crafted and not allowed to leave the brewery until ready. The distinctive large white head and the mouth-watering smell of spices on the nose rewards the drinker with a burst of spice on the tongue that one will never forget. Again, the drinkability does not belie the fact that it is a high gravity brew, so be prepared to savor the experience responsibly.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: good clarity (no floating yeast) with a light golden colour. The head is white, huge, full and creamy. Excellent retention followed by lots of beautiful lacings.
Aroma: very nice sweet malts aroma, spices and fruits (mainly citrus).
Taste: confirms the aroma with sweet malts, spices, herbal hops, citrus and alcohol presence.
Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy, high carbonation and a full body. Warming, well disguised high alcoholic strength.
Finish: lingering mixture of sweet and bitter aftertaste.

Overall: fantastic beer. One of the top ten beers of the world.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured into a Duvel glass. Pours a nice pale color with a gigantic, white, frothy head. Lacing is very good and continues throughout, as does a bit of the crown.

Smells of of sweet honey, fruit juice and malts; almost candy like.

Very crisp and smooth for both mouthfeel and flavor. Almost has a champaign-like quality. Hints of fruit juice and, again, a candy-like malt flavor. Hops are there, but are balanced so well, it is hard to tell where one flavor ends and another begins. Alcohol is masked and balanced extremely well.

I could drink this one all night...not before I lost my senses so I'll keep it to one or two so I could enjoy every second.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 0.33l bottle into a small stemmed pokal glass.

Appearance: Pale, straw colored and translucent. Rather large, fizzy head that grows rather large if you don't watch it. Large numbers of carbonation bubbles.

Smell: Has a sweet, almost apple juice like scent with definite bready under tones. Smells pretty tasty.

Taste: Wow!! It has a nice sweet taste to it that complements its bitter, hoppy aftertaste. This beer hides its alcohol content like none i've ever tasted.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, almost watery with little noticeable carbonation. Very pleasant.

Drinkability: Great! I would definitely drink this one again if I saw it!

Poured into a Duvel Tulip from a 750mL bottle

A: What can I say, this beer is impossible to pour without creating a huge head. Lacing is great and body is a perfect cloudy golden yellow.

S: Strong Belgian spiciness from the yeast, and a slight fruitiness. Smell is pretty clean, and of course more complex than I can describe.

T: Nicely yeast spice, slight sweetness, long aftertaste and hop bitterness, all really wonderful and hard to describe. I would usually describe other beers a 'like Duvel', in this case it doesn't make sense.

M: Filling with a heavy carbonation, but not harsh on the tongue. Full feeling and a really clean finish.

D: Great drinkability, a clean finishing beer with no harsh lingering flavors.

I have forgotten how good this beer was, since it is so widely available, but this has reminded me its not something to overlook.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Served in a Duvel-branded tulip glass, poured 'unhurriedly' from a 750 ml bottle

A - Like champagne; a beautiful golden color with delicate bubbling and a thick, indestructible head. I've never seen a head stay this thick this long.

S - Light, slightly Yuzu-like citrus, mostly hops and yeast

T - If refreshing had a specific taste, it would be this. A strong hoppy start mellowing into a clean pale ale taste, like a bitter citrus, before its amazingly clean finish. 'Kick ass' is the only appropriate description i can think of.

M - Screw That miller high life crap. THIS is the champagne of beers. The fizz is strong but pleasant, and the logic defying head adds a dimension of smoothness to its bite.

D - Absolutely dangerous. I don't taste the alcohol much, but the 8.5% goes right to your head. i could probably drink this 24/7, but I'd never be coherent again for the rest of my life. Best to stick to one or two drinks worth.

At first, I was skeptical of the high praise this beer has gotten, and I don't remember exactly enjoying it when I first tried it, but now that my tastes in beer have grown considerably, I can say that this one deserves all the hyperbole it gets. If you like beer, you owe it to yourself to try this one at least once. You won't regret it.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Still my favorite mass produced beer out there, I love the way you get that dry hopped essence and flavor without any bitterness or hoppiness. The slight sweetness makes it a perfect stand-alone beer but I also think it has merit as a great dinner beer. Definitely in my top 20 and as most of you have, I've enjoyed hundreds to thousands.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

This is one of the best five beers that I've had.

Pours beautifully, smells deep and rich, like a clean and tasty version of walking into an underground cellar. I can't remember a beer that I enjoyed more in terms of flavor, it's a cornucopia of complexity, but it's not so strong as to be offensive. This is a beer I could drink all night, if it weren't for the price tag.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV