Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Sean9689

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle poured into Duvel (what else?) tulip glass.

A - Pours a mirky golden blond with two fingers-worth of white frothy head. It sticks around long after the initial pour with about a fingers-worth on top of the body of the beer acting as the cap. There's some sticky white lacing along the sides of the glass after a quick swirl. A very nice looking beer.

S - Classic funky sweetness, pineapples, cloves, yeast, other tropical fruits. Reminds me a bit of a Hefe in some ways but a little more yeasty and some more malty sweetness.

T - Yeasty funk, slightly bitter, a nice malty finish that's slightly sweet yet also slightly bitter...hmm. Seems like it should be so straight forward on the palate, but it really isn't at all. The 8.5% is hidden really really well, very impressive.

M - Light to medium bodied, smooth and crisp, dry finish.

D - A wonderful beer that tricks you into thinking it's straight forward and dull but in reality, it's complex and wonderful. The alcohol is hidden so well that there's no way I'd guess it's 8.5%. Recommend.

04-15-2010 21:57:03 | More by Sean9689
delicious

Vermont

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 330mL shorty into a dedicated Duvel glass.

Bubbles erupt like a volcano from the pit of the glass, erecting a scaffold of spongy head that is tenacious in its longevity. The bottle advises to “Pour unhurriedly,” and even while heeding this warning, the head soon reaches the top of the glass. The body is a golden yellow, made slightly cloudy by the yeast. As it is consumed, the bitter tasting head laces the glass like clinging stockings on a curvy, tulip shaped leg.
The aroma is floral and bitter with a citric acid bite, and completely fills the nose as the glass is tilted for a sip. Some coriander is noticeable.
The beer feels full in the mouth as flowery bitterness dances a stimulating and erotic tap-ensemble on the tongue. The bitterness is multi-faceted and complicated; it feels like much more then one glass is needed to fully understand it.
This beer is visually fascinating and has a spectacularly complicated nose and flavor, but I'm just not sure if I LIKE it! Maybe I'm just not ready, or maybe I'm not in the proper mood. This beer will have to be revisited for further conclusions to be drawn.

11-22-2005 23:31:52 | More by delicious
CampusCrew

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Would have been higher but it's not my style. Overall very solid Tripel and one of the best ever.

appearance: golden and cloudy. decent head rentention. like a beituiful beer sundae

smell: fruit, slight hops

taste: was a great real belgian golden ale, good, and no overpowering for how strong it was, fruits and spicy tatste couldn't indentify exactly but very tasty

mouthfeel: rich and high carbonation

drinkability: I was pleasantly suprised, it's not overrated, smooth and easy for how stong the ABV is.

06-03-2009 04:22:16 | More by CampusCrew
Hoagie1973

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Heard a lot about this beer, so my expectations were very high.

Poured a light lemon-yellow color. I poured "unhurriedly" like the label said and still had to back off a bit due to the enourmous fluffy white head. Let it settle for a second, but the head didn't really reduce, it just transformed into this amazing rocky, chunky, clumpy, uneven, crater-like creation. The thick clumpy lacing was akin to dish suds or bubble bath (I mean that in a good way). Lumpy head stuck around till the very end, leaving a foamy clump in the bottom of the glass.

Smelled slightly spicy, with yeast, peppery clove, and a moderate fruitiness.

Flavor of light malt up front, all the elements of the nose in the middle including a pear-like fruitiness, with alcohol and a hop bitter in the finish that remained in the aftertaste. Pausing for a minute or two between sips revealed a residual flavor reminiscent of white wine/champagne.

Mouthfeel was smooth, yet mantained a crisp bite.

Definitely a top notch beer.

06-29-2008 21:46:53 | More by Hoagie1973
lhaqq

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Pours with a light transparent gold with tons of carbonation and a resultant generous white head with great retention.
S: Grains and some light sweet fruit. Reminds me a lot of a champagne/white wine aroma.
T: Similar to the smell with some noticeable alcohol. Apple is a lot more noticeable too. Has a light molasses-like finish.
M: Drinking it right away, the bubbles dance in your mouth. Decarbonates relatively quickly, though, and becomes pretty smooth with a bit of a kick from the alcohol.
D: Despite picking up on the alcohol flavor, it masks the 8.5% well. Definitely will have it again.

11-06-2008 05:55:43 | More by lhaqq
Haydn-Juby

Quebec (Canada)

Served from a 330ml bottle to a tulip

A: Golden straw color. Two finger head of pillowy sudsy foam. Nice lacing.

S: Sweet doughy malts followed up by a mild hop and spice aroma.

T: Honey, apple, maybe a little bit of cloves. Very nice pilsner malt character as well. Bitterness is mild. Alcohol is masked exceptionally well making it very drinkable. In some ways its not dissimilar to white wine.

M: Very carbonated with a champagne like character I like so much in this style of beer, or almost any Belgian for that matter. Very dry and clean drinking.

O: First time I tried this beer was about 5-6 months ago and I wasn't really to impressed with it. I'm happy I went back and tried it again. I feel as though my palate has progressed because now I rather enjoy this beer. Personally it wasn't astounding for me but it was enjoyable and I would probably pick it up on occasion.

04-07-2013 20:12:09 | More by Haydn-Juby
wd40

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Had this in a Duvel tulip glass. I love the foam this beer produces and the way it lingers. It's like having a puffy cloud above the beer that enhances the whole experience. Duvel has a champange-like richness to it that the carbonation enhances into by making it creamy and frothy. A really special beer that stands out among other beers within its style due to its complex rich, chewy texture balanced by a subtle biterness of Saaz and Styrian Golding hops. It's delicious.

07-19-2009 01:57:48 | More by wd40
Agold

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into, what else, a duvel tulip, with a bright golden color and a beautiful white billowy head with sticky lacing all the way down the side of the glass. The aroma is light and pleasant with Belgian fruitiness. The flavor is light and crisp, with esters, fruityness, a bit of spice and the faintest hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel is great and light, with lots of refreshing carbonation. I really enjoy drinking this beer. It is one that I should always keep on hand. So light, refreshing, complex and well priced.

03-01-2011 06:50:43 | More by Agold
CaptMurdock

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a corked 22 oz. bottle into a Victory tulip.

Look: This is one of the best looking pours I've ever had. A perfectly white fluffy head takes up almost half of my glass and laces in a spectacular way. I found myself accusing the label of lying because there is no way a bottle conditioned beer can look this clear. The amber hue is absolutely perfect!

Smell: The aroma was a bit livelier than I'm used to with this style. There was a warming sensation of sweetness and the slightest hint of citrus. Nothing overpowering but as you tip the glass the aroma certainly lets you know that it is there.

Taste: I'm really having a tough time with this because if I picked up this bottle without ever hearing all the praise I would absolutely be raving about it. Unfortunately I had always heard that Duvel was the Gold Standard for a Belgian Strong so I held of trying it for so long. Although it was a brilliantly crafted brew it really didn't change the way I looked at the style. Up front the huge head complimented the warmth of the alcohol perfectly. The warmth gave way to some hops and sweetness and the whole thing finished quite dry. These are all the things I look for in a Belgian Strong. Although Duvel did it well I'm not sure it was the best.

Feel: Great carbonation intertwined with the warming sensation of the alcohol really make the mouth feel exceptional. Thin yet heavy. Very well done.

Drinkability: I put a two glass limit here simply because of the ABV. I could see myself going through a few 22 oz if I had no where to be.

01-04-2010 20:13:43 | More by CaptMurdock
Crosling

Colorado

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

I had read that the pour was crucial and to be honest, I fucked it up a little. The head exploded and now stands before me, appearing like a mountain sitting almost 3 inches above the glass. We will be referring to him as Mount Duvel. He is slowly subsidding and turning quite ugly, developing lumps and hairy mumps. The ground beneath Mount Duvel is sinking and Mount Duvel is gaining more strength and more power. Do I dare put my nose near this thing?

As I put my nose near the glass, I hear a monumental explosion. Suddenly, chunks of bubble gum, lemon drops, pears and peppers come spewing out.

Without warning Mount Duvel destructs and the tasting begins.

The flavor is surely not overwhemling but still has its many strongpoints. Very spicy and peppery with some pineapple, green apples and pear. The finish is well hopped but somewhat lacking only leaving a banana/clove spicyness and then quickly it scampers away. The high carbonation definately affects the mouthfeel.

Very good beer though.

03-31-2004 07:20:38 | More by Crosling
Rezzin

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Frothy white head. Golden straw colored with a million tiny bubbles racing to the top.

S - Spicy, sweet, yeastie and a little fruity. I really have a hard time describing the smell of Belgians.

T - First sip is has a spicy sweetness up front. I'd try and pick out the fruit tastes but I just can't so I'll leave it at that. In the middle there's a nice sweet maltiness and some hop bitterness to round things out nicely. I've had other Belgians that were just over the top in that yeastie profile - this one isn't. Everything seems to be balanced.

M - It's like a champagne. That's the best I can describe it. Refreshing with a somewhat tart and crisp finish. Not overly dry - just right on the mouthfeel. I actually think it's probably one of the better 'light' beers I've tried in respect to mouthfeel.

D - Each Belgian I try gets better and better with this one being the best. It could be I've grown accustomed to the taste or I just keep picking better beers. I'd like to think with this one, the latter holds true. Careful with this one - it doesn't have the heavy feeling of a 8.5% ABV beer. You could easily get hammered on this one without even knowing it. I'd definitely buy this again.

03-22-2006 06:36:06 | More by Rezzin
denjen

Bought at/Price: Woodman's / $5.99 750 ml
Dennis: Duvel, translation: Devil, is one of the best examples of a belgian triple ale you'll probably ever have. Incredibly carbonated, the taste at first delivers a flash of tart yeasts and deep candied fruits...that is assuming you'll be able to pour a full glass on the first attempt. At 8.5% after a few sips you won't be feeling any pain, but the alcohol never takes over the simple tastes that are blended so well.
Jen: I would have to say that the second time around with this brew is better (or maybe it is the sudden heat wave that makes it so refreshing). It is light and bubbly, with a bit of tartness at the end. It is smooth with an almost creaminess to it. This brew is well crafted and quite easy to drink, but be careful, it is 8.5%!

05-27-2006 23:10:21 | More by denjen
Photo of

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Duvel poured into duvel glass, go figure

Crystal clear, huge fluffy pillow for a head that settles to a rocky centimeter, leaving plenty of lacing behind.

Apple peel. Candied orange. Very fruity in general to begin with. As the beer warms I get notes of gingerbread, toffee and straw.

The apple is again prominent, but both sweet and sour apple notes. This beer is extremely balanced, with a tangy dry finish. Long after I've swallowed I can taste sweet biscuits.

Delicious beer. Must try. It's beers like this that make Belgium famous for beer.

01-22-2012 09:41:39 | More by
brianlg

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

750ml bottle. Pours a sunny yellow color with thick head. Very nice appearance, even though I do not own a tulip glass. Duvel smells very sweet, citrusy, and nutty. On the taste I definitely tastes nuts, and fruit. It is very sweet as the smell indicates. It has a medium mouthfeel I would say, and it goes down very well. I really enjoy this beer, but I would have trouble drinking a lot of this in one sitting. But I have nothing but good things to say about this beer. It is definitely highly praised for a reason.

03-18-2009 23:52:44 | More by brianlg
snaotheus

Washington

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Bright golden color, not very cloudy, surprisingly large head and exceptionally strong lacing (it never faded, it was still on the glass in the morning). Nice hops background, slightly yeasty taste, and a sunny feeling in the mouth. I could drink a few of these if they were available.

11-27-2008 19:44:31 | More by snaotheus
thirtysixbelow

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

a - golden yellow color with a slight haze and a 2 finger white head. Watching the carbonation in this beer is amazing. Good lacing.

s - citrus, apple, yeast

t - citrus flavor with a slight spiciness. Some good hops to finish it off. Very well balanced.

m - the most carbonated beer I have ever had, it is alive!

d - A very interesting beer. The appearance of this beer is top notch. It looks so delicious. Great balanced taste.

01-28-2008 05:10:20 | More by thirtysixbelow
bennetj17

Arizona

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Got this one at BJ's brewhouse in Tucson. Served from the bottle in a tulip glass, this thing had massive carbonation and foam. The bubbles in this thing were huge. Very golden in color and very clear. Smell was lightly fruity and quite spicy. Flavors were not overpowering and it tasted somewhat fruity with hints of sour apple and citrus fruits, with a bit of the spiciness detected earlier in the aroma. There is a well rounded bitter finish to balance it out nicely. Mouthfeel is greatly carbonated, crisp, and not overly thin. The higher alcohol content is artfully masked. A very refreshing beer, with a good kick to it and nice balanced flavors...

01-09-2006 04:57:06 | More by bennetj17
gotbeer

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

The appearance is cloudy, with an obviously thick head. This is not a beer you need to pour aggressively to get an acceptable head. The smell is great with a slight hint of hops. I'm not sure what it is about this beer that is different- be it the bohemian hops or the belgian yeast? Either way, the flavor is great. Excellent balance of hops and malt. Incredible fruit flavor. Very good beer. This is the classic example of a Belgian strong pale ale.

02-27-2005 00:30:25 | More by gotbeer
rwrk42

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Pour: Nice white foam heaf and slightly cloudy head at first pour but settles very quickly.

Smell: Light fruit and faint spice with a mild hop aroma.

Taste: Very smooth, clean & crisp. Nice faint fruit flavor with some bitterness from the hops. Slight alcohol taste but very drinkable.

Highly recommend this one

12-10-2011 00:51:37 | More by rwrk42
jbaker67

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a cloudy, golden color into a Duvel glass leaving a thick, bubbly, white long lasting head. Notes of pear, apple, yeast, biscuit. Lots of carbonation, bubbles throughout. Flavors of sour apple, pear, yeast, biscuit. Not too boozy in the mouth given the 8.5%ABV but notice it in the throat after a few minutes.

01-11-2014 12:58:38 | More by jbaker67
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

I finally got my hands on a bottle of Delerium Tremens and tried it last night, really enjoyed it. Then I noticed that Duvel is king of the BSPA category, a full 10 spots above DT. Duvel? Really, Duvel??? The stuff I see at the grocery store all the time and have always discounted because it's so widespread? Sheesh, how long have I been walking right past this stuff and not given it due respect?! Right under my nose this whole time??! OH THE INJUSTICE, HOW IT HURTS!!

So I drove down this evening to the grocery store at the bottom of the hill and picked up a 750mL bottle for $9.99. Best before Nov.19.2012. Remove the crown, twist, POP, into my favorite tulip it goes.

First pour, although less than moderately rigorous, gives a giant frothy 4" of white head atop a tiny 1" of effervescent mostly-clear pale yellow brew. I carefully feed it a little more and the foam rises a full 1" above the lip of the glass without falling. This is going to take a while.

At first the smell is big skunk. Crap. Maybe I should have pulled a bottle from the back of the open-faced beer cooler (this one was front and center, and I doubt this gets much circulation). But the skunk gradually fades a bit and a mix of other things starts to emerge.

On the tongue the robust carbonation is very bright but not harsh. Feel is moderately thin, not much body, so it's the carbo that is keeping it from being watery. Taste is a bit sour with overly-ripe lemon rind, significant (but not over-powering) skunk, mellow rounded cinnamon and clove spices enhanced by a bit of alcohol.

Overall I'm seriously underwhelmed, especially given all the anticipation. I strongly suspect that this is a semi-bad bottle, especially because 10 minutes after finishing it the skunk is still lingering on my palate. Certainly will get another from a different source and update this review if warranted. :/

---

Update 27th October 2010:

Got another bottle from a different store (and pulled it from the back of the shelf where it was out of the light). Best by 14/02/13. Appearance and feel are the same. A little skunk in the nose and taste but not as much as I remember from last time and it fades almost completely. This is totally different from last time. The sourness is gone, it's a much nicer rounded Belgian Pale Ale... light honey, warm cinnamon and clove, a little citrus hop. Similar to before in substance, but overall much nicer this time around. Changed as follows. Smell: 3.0 to 4.0, Taste: 3.0 to 4.5, Drink: 3.5 to 4.0.

09-08-2010 02:07:03 | More by BeerNinja007
greenmonstah

New Hampshire

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Gorgeous as ever, the crystal clear yellow liquid is topped by a minimum of three fingers of frothy fine white foam. Bubbles cascade from the base of the glass in an endless stream

S - White bread, spritz of lemon rind, banana esters, stonefruit, Belgian yeast and some pepper.

T - Peppery and a bit tart. Bread and some citrus, plus nectarine and banana. Similar to the nose, but more yeast and spice.

M - Light and as-crisp-as-can-be. Sharp and stings the tongue a little in just the right way. Mellows out and rounds in the finish and is very pleasant.

O - A wonderful beer -- the classic light Belgian pale with lots of kick. Really fantastic.

08-12-2012 20:23:36 | More by greenmonstah
bulletrain76

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

33cl bottle from systembolaget. Pale yellow with a crystal clear body if you pour it right. Champagne carbonation trails and a big white head that leaves a lasting layer of foam. Very pilsener like aroma, with saaz and pale malt, but an amazing tart citrus and pear character blends in too. Fruity sweet and tart all the same, with yeast and alcohol following. Elegant hop balance keeps it from being cloying. The body is suprisingly light and delicate for a beer this strong. I'm suprised at how easily it goes down. Very enjoyable and displays plenty of unique character compared to other belgians I've had.

05-11-2009 22:47:27 | More by bulletrain76
jzm2500

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Cloudy, pale yellow, thick white head.

S/T/M- Smell was uninteresting..yeast and malt. It was not much indicative of the flavor, which is wonderful. Was hit with a sweet and bready malt followed by a mildly tart yeast..alcohol warms things up here. There is a hint of banana or similar. Finish was sweet..caramel or similar is noted here. There is a very faint bitterness in the mix at the end as well. Mouthfeel is moderately thick, carbonation lends a pleasant creaminess to the feel.

D- This beer is made for sipping.

Love this brew. I was surprised by the taste compared to the nose.

07-29-2010 13:45:26 | More by jzm2500
fido

Mexico

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Duvel pours a clear yellow color, very cloudy, Excellent foamy head and very good lacing; Smell is spicy and citrus; Taste is citrus and fruits; Mouthfeel is dry, a little bit of carbonation; Drinkability is good.

Alcohol is evident but a very good choice for a session beer.

¡Salud!