Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

pDev: 12%
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked up a corked bottle at Trader Joe's for dinner last night. Poured into two Duvel tulip glasses. Huge white head, all the way up the side of the glass. Looks like a washing machine overflowing. Tons of lacing too. Extremely bright yellow color. Smell was very floral. Duvel tastes unlike any other beer out there. Tons of bubbles really attack your throat. Light and hoppy, heavy and smooth at the same time. You can find yourself drinking this quite easily, but also you can feel that this beer is no joke and certainly has some substance to it and has a bit of alcohol backbone. This is one of the first Belgian beers I have ever had, and will always be one of the best. Also, a great beer to use to introduce anyone to Belgian brews, because I don't think anyone could find fault with this beer.

morebeergood, Dec 15, 2008

Jan 1, 2009

One of several New Year's Beers I tasted. Golden color, yeasty and carbonated, heady. Poured into Stella glass. Overall a very good beer, but not great for me. I preferred the Leffe Blonde over this one - to each his/her own I guess. A bit pricey and have enjoyed several others for less.

OzarkElmo, Jan 07, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Iconic, reliable, and tasty Belgium Golden Ale. A standard...

Presentation: 330 ml brow capped bottle. White background label with name of the brew in large fonts, seal and signature alongside perfunctory legal notes. Back label offers a brief narrative of ingredients, history, serving, storing, and socializing instructions. Notes best by date (08 2012), and shows Alc. by Vol. (8.5%) Served in a tulip glass.

A - Lightly hazy straw to pale gold pour with a nice frothy head, good retention, and nice lacing with a consistent surface memory.

S - Spicy and yeasty nose, with a light sweet touch. Feels very fresh...

T - Rich fruity and spicy yeast sense, fresh again, with a light tart touch, almost apple tartness.

M - Light body with generous carbonation and a crisp finish.

D - Too quaffable... Alcohol is integrated beautifully, and for something that goes down with such ease it is important not to forget that this is a 8.5% brew.

Notes: For my liking it is nothing spectacular, but I think it has to do more so with my feel towards Belgian Strong Pale Ales for which I am not particularly passionate. Having said that this remains top quality and reliable, and I have never seen a complaint trying to reach my lips when having this one.

Daniellobo, May 23, 2010
4.14/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Beautiful golden straw color with tons of creamy head that pretty much sticks around for the duration. Nice wispy lacing. Gorgeous beer.

S - Nose is peppery and mildly phenolic. There's also a little straw and woodsy pine. Just a hint of lemon and honey as the beer warms. Smell is pretty tame overall though.

T - Immediately tart and refreshing, with a little citrusy tang. As the beer settles a bit a mild tropical fruit profile emerges with papaya, guava and pineapple making appearances. There's honey at the center and a little pepper on the finish. Very tasty and not even a hint of the relatively big ABV.

M - mouthfeel is not too dry, actually much wetter/sweeter than I was expecting and it sort of coats your palate for a long finish. Good, prickly Belgian style carbonation that mellows out nicely before it becomes abrasive.

Overall, there is a reason this beer is the gold standard for the style. I had Russian River's Damnation the other day and Duvel blows it out of the water.

Mongrel, Jun 07, 2014
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured in a chilled pint glass...

Appearance - Duval pours with a crazy amount of head, almost 1/2 the glass. Nice white cloudy head, with a lot of air pockets. has a hazy light gold colour. took awhile for the head to disappear and left behind some nice lacing.

Smell - my first smell was that of a citrus base, with a nose full of aromas. this is a clean smelling beer that leads me to want to drink! .

Taste - a very nice tasting beer, offers a lot to the pallet. i found a slight tasting of alcohol, but the pleasant amount, you would have no idea this was 8.5%! Little bitterness at the end, which adds to the overall beer value.

Mouthfeel - what an explosion in my mouth! The beer comes alive during the mouthfeel, the carbonation dances off the tip of your tongue! very smooth beer still and the citrus nodes are present.

Drinkability - I've had this beer in the past but not on a review scale. I enjoyed this beer very much, this is my highest rated beer to date and i know why. It brings so much of what a beer is met to be to the table!

Swedes21, Oct 07, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a champagne yellow with a big billowy white head. very nice lacing and retention. Smells strongly of grass, lemon citrus, and yeast. The smell makes me weary that it will be overly-hoppy.

My fears are allayed upon the first sip. Clove, bannana, apple, and pear come through in a very soft and clean wave. The taste just seems to ebb away to a subtly dry finish. If it wasn't for the 8.5% ABV, you could drink this all night. Can't emphisize enough how clean and finished this beer is.

yankeeheel, Nov 14, 2003
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer pours a golden yellow. It is slightly cloudy. The head is thick and white. It fades slowly leaving lots of laces. The aroma is a little hard to explain. This beer as a spicy aroma. I detect pepper, cloves, and a slightly malty sweet aroma. I detect very little in the way of hops. This beer has a strong spicy flavor. It has a sweet malty taste also. It is slightly hoppy. The 8.5% alcohol is hidden very well in the flavor. This beer is crisp and smooth. It might be just a little overcarbonated, but not so much that it detracts form the flavor. This beer leaves a spicy aftertaste. I think that this beer might make a decent session beer, but with an ABV of 8.5%, you might have a little trouble drinking it all night. Ultimately, I think this beer was great. Try it if you see it.

OStrungT, Sep 25, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle (courtesy of BA infi) into my La Fin Du Monde tulip.

Pours a hazy golden hue with a ridiculously fat white head that lingers for a good long while after the initial pour and leaves a great amount of lacing. Translucent and full of smallish bubbles, it looks almost like a hefeweizen. That's always a good thing in my book. Smell is full of subdued yeast and malts, along with some spiciness and citrus. Very familiar scent that's more than welcome.

Sweet malty kick to start things off, followed by the citrus-y esters and a bit of wheaty banana as well. Hops show up at the end with some light bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste. Alcohol is definitely present, as the warmth bookends the flavor experience. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with a just-right amount of carbonation. Body is well-balanced. Finishes somewhat dry, but pleasingly so.

Drinkability is very good. The alcohol, while present, is never overpowering and serves to complement the rest of the flavor profile. A sipper to be sure, but it's quite tasty and you'll definitely enjoy drinking it. Crisp and refreshing, a fine example of craft brew.

r0nyn, Sep 01, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

A- Poured a nice gold with a white foamy head that clumped interestingly. Plenty of CO2 that kept the head strong the whole way through.
S- A blast of super-fresh yeasty bread. Hint of citrus and lemon. Pretty full and intense.
T- Bread, then light malts. Alcohol comes through at the end. Very fresh taste. Quality of the taste is like a leather couch- that may or may not mean something to you.
M- Very fluffy and carbonated, tingles the tongue.
O- Very drinkable and enjoyable beer, even with the high alcohol. Looking forward to enjoying more where this came from.

yisseroff, Mar 29, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

25oz bottle poured unhurriedly into a Duvel tulip.

Wow, bottle conditioning shows here. Huge ass head, white fluffy cloud pillowtops chillin. A light golden color with a crazy amount of lacing.

In the nose, pale sweet, funk, earthy hops and more sweet malts. Very non-chalant, balanced, subtle brew of perfection. Taste follows the nose. Nothing really stands out here, just a slightly funky, mildly hopped, highly drinkable classic elegant beer. Belgian yeast & hops stand out most, but nothing over the top. Light body (4/10) and well carbonated, light & crisp & refreshing.

This seems to be the epitome of the style, but all in all - nothing spectacular for me (personal taste). Easily downed the 25oz bottle & hides the alcohol really well. Picked up at Total Wine & More for $8.99, might do again someday.

hoptualBrew, Oct 11, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Even though I could have tried a Duvel since October, when NC popped the cap, I always held this one in higher regard and wanted to wait until a special occassion. Last Saturday night was that unnamed special occassion.

Unfortunately, this was given to me to pour in a 20 oz. pint-type glass. Lots and lots of head, some due to my bad pouring. This one just typifies a very good Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Perfectly balanced with hops and malts, not hot at all (very smooth). Nice mouthfeel and easy to drink. I've enjoyed others by this style even better, but in my opinion, this one should be the standard of high quality..

Backer2004, Jul 30, 2006

330ml bottle poured into tulip glass. Best before date: May 2012

Pours a brilliant clear golden color right up to the bottom, when the yeast is introduced to the glass, adding a slight haze. The tiniest of bubbles work their way up the glass to greet the larger than lift white head.

Sweet fruity accents greet the nose, hinting at apples and complimented by a yeasty spiciness unlike any other.

First taste is a whole boat load of flavors on the palate. Lots of sweetness from the malt but well balanced by a slightly earthy character before the spice makes it way through. Peppery and clove-like spice make a strong showing before another round of a candy sweetness lead you to the finish. Noble hops contribute a musty herbal note to this finish, helping round out the beer. Medicinal phenols and warming alcohol notes may be a bit too much but they don't take that much away from the beer.

With so much going on at 8.5% abv, this has a surprisingly lighter feel than one would expect. Quite a strong carbonation seems to be a bit too much. Overall Duvel sets a high standard for the style and certainly one that shouldn't be missed.

Kinsman, Apr 23, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Yikes! My first review of Duvel. I have to start out by saying that I've enjoyed this beer before, I just haven't got around to putting words to paper about it.

Duvel is one beautiful beer that is stunning in its simplicity. The head that is created by pouring Duvel in its own special glass is incredible and I don't know of any other beer that puts on quite the same display. The head is voluminous, taking up at least two thirds of the glass. I stop pouring and slowly resume the pour and the incredibly fluffy, delicate head (as delicate as a spider web) pushes itself up like tiny mountain range. Once the head slowly -- ever so slowy -- starts to fall it leaves behind sticky, spider web-like structures of beer foam along the sides of the glass.

The aroma is just as delicate as the appearance (pretty much to a fault), with just the softest, slightest hint of spicy hops laced with spun sugar. The mouthfeel is soft, soft like the finest pilsner. The flavor of this beer is of sweet, honeyish malt, balanced just perfectly by subtle hops and its own minerally dryness. Perilously drinkable, Duvel is despite its demonic name, an exceptionally delicate and pure brew. Although seemingly not quite as spicy and hoppy as I recall from years ago, this is still an exceptionally well crafted ale.

marcobrau, May 15, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance -- Poured into a Duvel Tulip glass. Very nice cloudy, dark golden yellow. Two finger, fluffy white head. Respectable lacing. I like how the engraved "D" in the bottom of this special glass causes the carbonation to rise from that point only. Very hard-core appearance.

Smell -- Quite complex. Very fruity. I'm getting faint whiffs of apples and maybe pears. Spicy.

Taste -- Fruity but not overly. Almost tastes like champagne. There's more going on here than I can describe.

Mouthfeel -- Light and dry. Nice carbonation. Very pleasant.

Drinkability -- I like this beer a lot and will most definitely seek it out again . . . I've got the special glass now. It's a little more on the pricey side, but that's pretty typical for a good Belgian. Very pleasant and enjoyable. Highly recommended.

ClearDog, Dec 18, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

I poured a portion of a 750 ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: bright gold, steady stream of carbonation emanates from the stem, rocky white 3-finger head falls into a stable cap, very good lacing.

S: slightly herbal, slightly earthy Belgian funk, dry malt, there is a floral/honey note, apricot.

T: dried apples, apricots, lemon, sweetbread; the middle releases some green apples, floral accents, white pepper, and a flash of alcohol; the finish features grassy hops, and white pepper, and is long lasting and very dry.

M: medium weight, a tiny bit hot, moderate carbonation.

D: in my mind this is a prototype for the style, and while not my favorite, it is very good.

Erish, Aug 11, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Look: Pale golden color, massive fluffy head with excellent retention & lacing

Smell: Apple, Belgian yeast, alcohol

Taste: Up Front: Strong bite, hops. Finish: Spicy, bready, and fruity

Mouthfeel: Super clean and highly carbonated, with a very dry finish

Drinkability: One of the few Belgians you can pound, not that you'd want to

Overall Impression: It's a CLASSIC Belgian Pale Ale. Need I say more?

BeerGodz, Mar 20, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

So here, we have this wonderful brew. No believe it or not, with over 800 reviews I had never done one for this. I was shocked when I noticed this, but to be honest it had been a long time since I had last had a bottle, so I knew I was going to have to pick up another one to be able to review it properly, which is just what I did on the way home last night. Got this 750 ml bottle and took it right out of the cooler section, put it on ice and brought t it home. Served it at around 50 degrees and poured it into a Rodenbach chalice all night to finish this one off.

Appearance - Poured an extremely vibrant and bright straw colored yellow. Very clear, I mean very clear, one of the clearest beers I have seen. An absolutely enormous amount of carbonation on this one. In fact, when I popped the cork it damn near woke up my son. This was a seriously well-carbonated beverage if I have ever seen one. A huge white head, pretty much immeasurable formed across the top and spilled over the sides of the glass coating everything in huge frothy bubbles. This would not fade at all, and I mean at all. There was just a huge pillow like layer of foam across the top of this throughout the session, and it must have literally took close to seven pours before I could fit the whole bottle into glasses. It just would not give up. Huge side glass presentation, leaving sticky blobs of foam pretty much everywhere throughout the glass. The carbonation bubbles were streaming up from the bottom of the glass so quickly and in such abundance, if I did not know better I would have thought it was champagne. Overall, I was very impressed with the look of this one, I could see why people rave about it!

Smell - The aroma was very light and airy, and to be honest much fruitier then I thought it would be, which came as a bit of a shock at first. I had expected a strong grainy Belgian pale, but this was quite nice and light. Waves of light fruit and light grain came over me all at once. Hints of light pear aromas, mixed in with apples were now commonplace. A nice light alcohol smell mixing in and giving it a little bit of depth and letting you know this was quite a bit bigger then you thought it was. Very light cereal and earthy grains coming on now, and just a touch of something sour sitting off in the background, not too strong, just maybe a hint of grapes. Not bad overall, and much lighter then I would have thought.

Taste - The flavored followed along the taste perfectly. A wonderfully light mixture of soft bright fruit flavors that was layered on top of a light alcohol warming with ample amounts of fresh light grains thrown in. Hints of pears and apples were more then abundant here and were really showing off how well this was put together. A nice light cereal grain was the backbone, blended seamlessly with the yeast and a nice light grassy flavor. Some hints at a light sour grape were near the end of it. The finish was very quick and clean, but very dry. It was a weird champagne like dry if you know what I mean, just kinda leaving it all out there.

Mouthfeel - The feel on this was superb as well. Really one of the lightest, and definitely one of the most highly carbonated beverages I have ever had. A very nice blend of flavors really hid the alcohol well and I could have just kept on going with this one as it was just effortless.

Drinkability - As for a nice strong Belgian, this was about as sessionable as you can get. Light flavors were abundant here, really being very bright and expressive and allowing it to be refreshing at the same time that you could be exploratory with the flavors. Really quite well put together and I would have definitely had another when I was done.

Overall, I thought this was outstanding. Now is it worth the hype and the high rating, hard to say. Something does not get such a high ranking after almost 1200 reviews without having something going for it. Are there better ales out there, sure there are, but this is a classic, and will always be. If you are looking to introduce someone to the style this would work perfectly.

mikesgroove, Feb 21, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

A true masterpiece of brewing; it's brewed on a large scale, and available allmost everywhere, and it's relatively low priced (at least where i live), yet it holds the depth and quality of excellent micro brewing.

A: Pale golden, straw colour. Carefully poured in a wide glass it's very clear, and witness the beautifull bubbling. This beer foams like there's no tomorrow, and the head lasts, thick and fluffy. Beautifull.
S: fresh hops, bread and fruits. A bit of spice, cloves actually, and a lot of floral notes.
T: A good hop taste, with fresh yeast and citrus-fruits, malts, maybe even some pepper.
F: The loads of bubbles are refreshing, and the finish is long and gives a warm feeling. Brilliant.
D: The alcohol is allmost completely masked by the wide range of flavours.

When i first tasted it in the 80s, I was defenately impressed with it, and I still am today.

RuudJH, Apr 27, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a golden straw yellow, huge head and silky sticky lacing, lively carbonation, good looking glass to.

Spicy esters in the nose, some hay, a delicate malt aroma as well. Flavor of grassy hops, alcohol and has a very dry finish. Well balanced, nicely crafted.

Extremely quafable, at over 8% avb, a dangerous ale.

bloberglawp, Aug 29, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

The beer poured into the glass a brilliant clear gold with a thick, dense white head, Te head retained well, and when it did recede it left a chunky lace on the side of the glass. A stream of champagne bubbles rise from the bottom, a testament to the carbonation of the bottle conditioned beer. I detect characters form the yeast in the nose. A doughy hint followed by apples, pears. There is a hint of citrus and just a touch of spice (pepper). The flavor has more of the spiciness up front followed quickly by more of the apple/pear character and topped by grapefruit and orange. Bright slightly slick mouth feel and surprisingly drinkable despite the high alcohol content.

carln26, Mar 13, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

A- poured into a goblet, a clean yellow, not cloudy at all...thick white head

S- smell was good, somewhat like a champagne

T- like a good champagne would be the best i could describe it or relate to it

M- nice, clean, crisp

D- very drinkable, no problems knocking it back

Overall, it was good beer, i would buy again to mix things up but it didnt blow it me away, but nonetheless a good beer, cheers

Pballa4lyfe, Oct 08, 2010

330ml bottle into its Duvel tulip

A- A light clear golden, the colour of a lager. A quite huge and pastry head shows a decent retention and leaves lacing on the glass

S- Sweetness from the malts is balanced by yeast, and then there is pepper and alcohol. Sweet and spicy but still delicate

T- The malt flavour is nicely backed up by some fruity (citrus, apple) and spicy alcoholic notes from the esters. Hops are clearly detectable at times and their bitterness is nice balancing to the malt sweetness. The end is drier and maybe a bit more bitter. Very nice

M- This is what i love with this beer. The crispness is quite strong for the style but still delicate, and gives this beer a refreshing character that is not to be found easily in other strong ales. Clean but still enough complex

D- Clean, fresh, a really pleasant beer. Extremely drinkable given its ABV

This is an excellent and flawless beer. As complex as a good belgian strong ale is but yet refreshing with a very nice crispy character. I just can't see why so many people put this in the same league with the world's best

Cozzatoad, Feb 25, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from 750ml bottle into oversized snifter.

A - I probably didn't pour this correctly, because in the snifter I got a massive head, maybe six inches or so that took forever to die down. Nice and pillowy, with exceptional lacing and a nice patch still floating in the middle. Hazy bright yellow in color.

S - The main aroma is phenolic; plastic-like or something like the coating on a pill. Some spicy hops in the background, with myriad of spices, notably white pepper.

T - Faint malt to begin with, but then the brew unleashes it's full medicinal flavor. It's not terribly unpleasant, but it is a little overbearing. The finish yeilds a trace of hops providing ample bitterness, with a touch of citrus. Phenols return in the aftertaste, following slight, and pleasant, alcohol burn.

M - Moderately carbonated, but very slick. Seems a little out of balance to me, as if carbonation and slickness are busy competing. Surprisingly full bodied considering the color.

D - The beer gets better after the initial phenol shock on the taste buds which makes me think the more one drinks, the more one could drink. I definitely wouldn't have a problem kicking these back, but I wonder how long I could endure the medicinal flavor before I felt like I was chewing band-aids. It seems highly drinkable, but I'm only guessing.

I had Duvel once before, but regretfully I was fairly intoxicated when I got to it. The one thing I remember was it's phenolic character and that still stands out to me upon soberly revisiting this ale tonight. A good brew no doubt, but at least slightly overrated. Tastes a lot like Ommegang's Hennepin to me, only less complex.

PatrickJR, May 07, 2008

33 cl. bottle.
Has a clear straw hue with a huge white head; nice lacing. Classic Belgian spice, pepper smell. Light bodied with lively carbonation. Has a peppery, lemongrass, spicy , slightly sweet taste.
Highly refreshing. A great summer beer , but the ABV 's probably a little high for pounding.

beerceller99, Apr 23, 2005

Poured into goblet

A: Poured a little cloudy and kind of a light orange color. Wonderful fingers worth of head that settles to a good layer of head with wonderful lacing front start to finish. Just a fantastic looking beer.

S: Smell is very sour with a mix of yeast, malt and a little tart fruit.

T: A wild mix of flavors here....There is a lot of tangy flavors here, mix of various citrus mixed with little sweet malt, a lot of yeast and a nice touch of hoppy bitterness. Good balance of flavors, sweet, bitter and tart.

M: Pretty lively carbonation that makes it crisp yet the ABV smooths everything out. Finish is on the dry side.

O: This is a fantastic beer worthy of a try... Fantasic mix over everything you would ever want in a beer... A must try.

mralphabet, Dec 03, 2012