Follow our progress ...

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Reviews: 2,771 | Ratings: 7,702
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A: A pale gold color with a fluffy white head and lacing down the glass. Crazy carbonation bubbles inside the beer.

S: Clove spice, hop, belgian yeast, funk, some biscuity malt aromas, a little alcohol and some fruity esters. Lots to appreciate in this aromatic beer.

T: The beer is very fruity to start and has sweet biscuity malt flavor up front also. There is a little bit of clove or coriander spice. Then the peppery alcohol warmth and hop flavors kick in along with the yeast funkiness. The finish is on the bitter side with the hop, clove, and peppery alcohol still on the tongue as the mouth dries.

M: very spicy and highly carbonated. Leaves the mouth semi-dry. Very refreshing for such a strong beer.

D: One of the best. Delicious, looks great, smells awesome, can drink a ton of it.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 330 mL stubby in to a Duvel tulip.

A- Pours a semi-transparent straw yellow with the most beautiful craggy white head I've ever seen on a beer. The head sticks around until the beer is gone. Also, there are tons of tiny bubbles are shooting up towards the top. This looks amazing.

S- The smell is pure sex. Mostly Belgian yeast, but there's so much more: apples, pears, bananas, citrus, clove, sweetness, sourness, hops. It's all there.

T- Everything mentioned in the smell applies to the taste. There's just little nip from the alcohol at the end, but I find that to be a positive thing.

M- The body is pretty light, but tons of carbonation fill your mouth with lively bubbles. Finishes clean and crisp.

O- This beer is just awesome, and extremely drinkable.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance and smell are great. Nice head that stays and a VERY nice yellow with small but constant bubbles.

champagne taste but still a very crisp and clean taste. I dont see a white ale getting better, to be honest.

A VERY drinkable beer that I would like to drink many more if not for the near $7 a bottle price. Beautiful. I think I have to have a bottle or two of this alwys read for drinking.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Saw the price and the rating and took the plunge. Great beer that looks like Snoopy's root beer on Bon Voyage charlie brown. HUGE head, which i enjoy. Smells refreshing, almost like Sprite. This brew tastes heavenly and will having you craving another sip, and the mouth on this is delectable. Overall a definitive Belgium brew which others should strive for.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

What else can I say that everyone hasnt already? Poured from 750 mL bottle, best buy 11/09. Pops like a bottle of chamapne, pours a golden yellow with massive head, thick, rocky, and left large amounts of lace. Smell is of sour citrus, some alcohol, and other fruits, I swear I detect some banana and at times reminds me of a hefe. Taste is superb, thats the only way to describe. High carbonation and an almost creamy feel to it. This might be the best beer I've every had so I dont have too many words to describe it other than that. Only a 4 for drinkability as it does pack a punch to it so a couple glasses of this and I couldnt handle any more.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

It started as I seen the bottle, it was the only one left sitting on the counter as it seemed it was destined for me to cherish for the night. As I poured I was curious as one of the most noticable details was the foamy top that reminded me of such south american beers I had before. It poured a rich golden blonde with a sweet aroma and luscious fruity essence that was one of the main attractions I had hoped for. The taste was rather clean and crisp with a warm spice of after taste. The ABV of 8.5% was cleary masked in the flavor though it later help in keeping warm. This is a keeper, if you have a chance to spot the black label give this a try.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Holy crap this beer is delicious.

When poured into the trademark tulip glass that came with the package deal, I'll have to admit that I don't particularly care for the 50/50 mix. Aside from that, this beer is delicious.

I was talking to my girlfried at the time I took my first sip, and I just paused in mid-sentence to admire the delicious-ness of Duvel. Naturally, I got yelled at for ignoring her for beer.. But it was worth it.

Appearance: 4
Smell: 4.5
Taste: 5
Mouthfeel: 5
Drinkability: 4.5

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color with a tall white fluffy head. As the head slowly recedes it leaves some very cool lacing on my glass. The beer is no as transparent as I expected. The smell is wonderful, it smells of sweet grain. The taste is of lemon-citrus, yeast with bits of hops and wheat. The 8.5% is hidden quite well. Mouthfeel is perfect, light, crisp and refreshing without being watery. Drinkability is great, but at 8.5% ABV, I don't think I'll let myself have more than one glass at a time.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A ~ This beer pours a very nice golden color, POUR THIS BEER SLOW!!! The head on this beer is ridiculous, on a moderate pour I got a 16 oz glass over half full of the white foam. Once it sits it shrinks down to a one or two inch head that looks lightly like whipped cream.

S ~ Smells very fruity and citrusy, definitely some wheat and yeast in there.

T ~ Some apple... maybe pear, some hop bitterness lasts for a little while after each sip. Very good flavor.

M ~ Very carbonated, especially when first served and chilled, less noticeable once the beer warms a little.

Overall a good beer, definitely happy with the purchase... wish they gave you a full 12 oz instead of 11.2, but its not the end of the world. Will buy again.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A slow pour produces a large foamy head. The beer is a beautiful golden color with continuous carbonation. The aroma is unique and yeasty with a sweet fruitiness and hints of tobacco. The beer lightly dances on the palate due to the high carbonation. The alcohol comes through along with some spice. The finish is dry and lasting. A very good and drinkable beer.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Duvel means devil. This is a great great beer.

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip (0.33L bottle with no date). Beer is hazy and yellow, forms a thick aggressive white head that slowly falls away leaving a complicated net of lacing all over the glass. Good head retention.

Sweet fruit, esters, some yeast, some alcohol, some wheat like aromas, smells amazing.

A little sweet, medium to low bodied. A slight wheaty aftertaste but its not disturbing. Nice fruit flavors. Drinkability insanely high. I love this beer. Mouthfeel has great connectivity and overall one of the best IMO. I love this beer.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Served out of a bottle into a chalice.

Much to my surprise, immediately after opening the bottle overflowed, but once poured into the glass had a nice strong 1+ cm head that lasted for the whole 20-30 minute drinking session. The beer was a bit clearer than I had expected but had a wonderful nose, that was inviting me to enjoy it. It poured wonderfully over the palate with a fruity and spicy finish. The beer continued to fizz in my mouth. Overall a stelar beer, one I would buy more often if not for the cost.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

One of my favorites so excuse me while I gush...

Pour a hazy, bright pale gold. Head grows enormously and deliciously during the pour. Pure white with lots and lots of lace. Smell is floral and lemony. Very complex aromas. Light hops, light malt. Hints of apple and yeasty spice.

Sweet nectar...tastes bitter up front fading to light sweetness. Crisp sweet apple flavors. Light and smooth with a bit of warming from the alcohol. Light bodied with a nice hoppy aftertaste. Very complex and very strong and tasty ale.

A true king of beers but incredibly drinkable even with the strong ABV. If only I could afford to drink it on a regular basis, I certainly would.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

I poured unhurriedly as the bottle suggested but still ended up with a massive four finger white frothy head. The body is a hazy golden yellow with active carbonation. The smell is sweet and fruity with a hint of alcohol. The taste is excellent. Citric, spicy and a little tart but perfectly balanced. The finish is dry. Mouthfeel is crisp and light yet it has a slightly creamy texture. Drinkability for this high of an ABV is simply outstanding. Only the effect of the alcohol will slow you down because it is well hidden in the taste. Overall, this is an outstanding beer. By far the best Belgian that I have had yet. It is similar to champagne in some ways but far, far better. If you need a beverage to celebrate with, use Duvel.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Cloudy pale yellow with a meringue-like white head. Great lacing and even better retention when poured in the Duvel glass. Nose features aromas of herbal hops, yeast, mild spice, fruit and maybe a touch of candy sugar. Taste is complex, round, and quite enjoyable. The yeast character never strays far, while notes of passion fruit, apricot, sweet malt, candy sugar and spice lead to a zesty hop kick on the finish. Effervescent mouthfeel lends itself well to this beer's overall characteristics. Incredibly drinkable for an 8.5% ale, Duvel is something else. Truly a favorite, this is the beer that morphed me into a Belgian ale fan. Wonderful stuff and a must-try. I can't believe it took me so long to review this one....

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Golden hue with a slight haziness from the yeast, the white head is magical in its fluffy nature, a soft pour can easily produce three fingers in height of a pillow head. This is an outstanding looking beverage, even more so if you serve it in the Duvel glass. The nose is lemon, pepper, spice, yeast, and sweet malt. The bouquet is delicate but alluring. The flavors on the palate are remarkable with a wonderful blend of citrusy grapefruit and lemon, pepper, intermediate hints of sweetness and full-blown hoppy bitterness. The beer finishes dry yet fruity and spicy. Good acidity. There is a creaminess and liveliness produced by the massive carbonation on the tongue. This is more than beer, it is magic in a bottle. Obviously the high alcohol content makes this a devil of a drink, mainly because you can’t detect it, and, well, it is so damn pleasant to quaff it is impossible to be satisfied with one glass. It’s like champagne but far more sophisticated. Duvel is flawless. It is worth every penny. I’d say this is my favorite beer all-time.

In Omaha four-packs run $12.00, however in Kansas City they run $8.00, a good buy!

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

I can't believe this is my first time enjoying a Duvel.

Chubby bottle poured into a Duvel tulip (what else??)

A- This is the best looking beer I have ever seen. An incredible massive head emerges from a slow pour, as directed on the back of the bottle. This head might be 3 inches. Deep rich golden color, carbonation bubbles flowing through the middle of the beer, rising quickly and fast.

S- Smell was of citrus zest (mostly lemon)- floral hops and yeast. Alcohol is also noted in the nose.

T- Taste is as balanced as possibly imaginable, with the 8.5 % abv well hidden, but prevalent to those who are not ready for it. A peppery spice mixed in with citrus flavors, hops, and biscuit.

M- Mouthfeel was crisp and carbonated- thirst quenching at times.

D- This is to be sipped and enjoyed. A couple of these in a sitting would be appropriate, but one must beware of the consequences.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance – When poured this beer has a hazy pale yellow color with orange tinges. The head is generous and frothy making interesting formations at the top of the glass. Very thick lacing is everywhere as this goes down.

Smell – This beer smells quite good. Lemons are very present along with some orange peel, pepper, and strong yeast. I really like what I smell here but it could use a little more punch.

Taste – The taste of this beer is remarkable. It leads with a spicy yeast flavor which quickly transforms into a bombardment of citrus. There is a slight hoppy bitterness as well with traces of alcohol. This beer makes you want to savor every drop.

Mouthfeel – This beer almost has a light creaminess to it. Good body anyways. The carbonation is high but does not bite hard. There is a touch of dryness to finish as well. Cant complain at all.

Drinkability –This beer hides it’s 8.1% ABV so damn well its scary. I can drink this effortlessly. Perfect drinkability.

Duvel is just plain outstanding. It has excellent flavors, balance, and smoothness like no other. Right up there in my favorites.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

On the pour, it foamed up with a great white head, that left lacing on the glass as it dissipated. The very nice soft golden color reminded me of ripened wheat fields, and the bubbles that continued to fizz after the pour made it a great drink to look at, let alone drink. The aroma ascending from the delightful little bubbles was very nice, a bright floral zesty scent.

I expected to have my mouth knocked around a bit with the alcohol content of 8.5, but it was exceedingly drinkable! I was surprised! The flavor is sunny, with a zest that holds some citrus notes (to my palate anyway) and leaves a mild and rather lingering (though not unpleasant aftertaste).

This beer was recommended to by by a little shop owner who thought it was great fun to tease me about American macros! He was great though, and this is the first of a long line of recommendations the nice gentleman gave me. Expect more!

from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
ABV: 8.50 %

From: Bottle, 11oz

A golden god. This beer is sooo good. You cannot believe it's 8.5% ABV because of the color and smooth finish of this beer. A pale ale that has the punch of an imperial IPA. Great beer, will absolutely buy this again.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Its not easy to make a review for a beer that has almost no faults, its simply a world classic. By far one of the best beers I have ever tried (not that many at this point) The foam is exceptional. Fruity and complex in a clean, delicate way. I will have a few more in the future...

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer is easily in my top 5 beers of all time (so far) and my #1 BSPA. Had this bottled and on tap, both equally enjoyable
A: Massive white, frothy head that poured beautifully into the snifter
S: very fragrant, I noticed a yeasty, fruity melody which is the best memory of the beer I have
T: Is this really an 8.5% beer? I could not notice the alcohol at ALL. Earthy, spicy, fruity, yeasty
MF: perfect body for the style
D: This beer is soo good I could drink this all year long

Unfortunately, this is one of my favorite beers and it happens to be expensive for a college student, however every time I'm in town with my parents, I'm ordering a Duvel.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

poured into my chimay chalice.
pours, light, bolden and clear, full two inches of soft foamy head, with carbonation rising in an unending stream from the bottom.
smells of bread, bannana, yeast, malt, and alcohol.
taste is bannans, ripe fruit, figs, bread, yeast, malt, hops, and citrus notes.
smooth in the mouth, still highly carbonated, slight boozey feel, . this beer is nearly flawless imo. without a doubt the best looking beer i have ever seen, best head retention, good lacing. This is what all other beers , of any style, should strive for.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

WOW! I poured this into a Duvel glass. It pours a gold color with an amazing, almost overwhelming head with high carbonation. It smelled floral with a tinge of alcohol. The taste was like biting into a lightly sugared, spiked green apple. It was very refreshing and unique. I ordered another and let others taste it and everyone was simply amazed at the unique flavor. This is a beer unto itself. The taste of alcohol does become apparent, otherwise it would be endlessly drinkable.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bought a bottle here in Montreal for 3,65$

Look: golden color and about 4 fingers of white head

Smell: Lemon and some hops

Taste: Citrus with some light hops. Goes down really easily. No alcohol burn at all. Really refreshing.

Feels: Citrus, lots of carbonation, refreshing.

So overeall would I recommed it ? For sure ! What a beer !

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV