Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,662 | Hads: 7,251
4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 0.33l bottle into a small stemmed pokal glass.

Appearance: Pale, straw colored and translucent. Rather large, fizzy head that grows rather large if you don't watch it. Large numbers of carbonation bubbles.

Smell: Has a sweet, almost apple juice like scent with definite bready under tones. Smells pretty tasty.

Taste: Wow!! It has a nice sweet taste to it that complements its bitter, hoppy aftertaste. This beer hides its alcohol content like none i've ever tasted.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, almost watery with little noticeable carbonation. Very pleasant.

Drinkability: Great! I would definitely drink this one again if I saw it! (643 characters)

Poured into a Duvel Tulip from a 750mL bottle

A: What can I say, this beer is impossible to pour without creating a huge head. Lacing is great and body is a perfect cloudy golden yellow.

S: Strong Belgian spiciness from the yeast, and a slight fruitiness. Smell is pretty clean, and of course more complex than I can describe.

T: Nicely yeast spice, slight sweetness, long aftertaste and hop bitterness, all really wonderful and hard to describe. I would usually describe other beers a 'like Duvel', in this case it doesn't make sense.

M: Filling with a heavy carbonation, but not harsh on the tongue. Full feeling and a really clean finish.

D: Great drinkability, a clean finishing beer with no harsh lingering flavors.

I have forgotten how good this beer was, since it is so widely available, but this has reminded me its not something to overlook. (856 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

Served in a Duvel-branded tulip glass, poured 'unhurriedly' from a 750 ml bottle

A - Like champagne; a beautiful golden color with delicate bubbling and a thick, indestructible head. I've never seen a head stay this thick this long.

S - Light, slightly Yuzu-like citrus, mostly hops and yeast

T - If refreshing had a specific taste, it would be this. A strong hoppy start mellowing into a clean pale ale taste, like a bitter citrus, before its amazingly clean finish. 'Kick ass' is the only appropriate description i can think of.

M - Screw That miller high life crap. THIS is the champagne of beers. The fizz is strong but pleasant, and the logic defying head adds a dimension of smoothness to its bite.

D - Absolutely dangerous. I don't taste the alcohol much, but the 8.5% goes right to your head. i could probably drink this 24/7, but I'd never be coherent again for the rest of my life. Best to stick to one or two drinks worth.

At first, I was skeptical of the high praise this beer has gotten, and I don't remember exactly enjoying it when I first tried it, but now that my tastes in beer have grown considerably, I can say that this one deserves all the hyperbole it gets. If you like beer, you owe it to yourself to try this one at least once. You won't regret it. (1,280 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

This is one of the best five beers that I've had.

Pours beautifully, smells deep and rich, like a clean and tasty version of walking into an underground cellar. I can't remember a beer that I enjoyed more in terms of flavor, it's a cornucopia of complexity, but it's not so strong as to be offensive. This is a beer I could drink all night, if it weren't for the price tag. (374 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.7%

Bought a four pack of this from my local liquor store. Poured one of the stubby 11.2 oz bottles into a glass. A light, pillowy two finger head formed at the top with good retention. The foam creates a lacings after each sip. The brew was a straw yellow to golden color. Aroma is filled with sweet fruity notes. There is also a touch of yeasty smell, that balances well with the sweetness. The flavor is explosive, with fruit flavor coming upfront. Green apple is the taste that comes to mind when I sip this. The yeast is also here, giving a slight sour taste near the end of each sip. Mouthfeel is very crisp from the intense carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good. The only thing to stop me from drinking a lot of these is that the alcohol sneaks up on you, as it is hidden well.

Overall, a simply great beer. The best I have had of its style and just simply delicious. A must try. (887 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This rating is for a good batch of Duvel. Note: for anyone saying it has a lemon taste to it, that is a BAD BATCH. It is NOT supposed to taste sour, AT ALL. If it hasn't gone bad, Duvel is the best beer in the world. PERIOD. But is not supposed to taste sour to the slightest degree. And this is a big problem with a lot of premium European beers sold in the US, at least in the flyover states. (394 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional beer. Fruity, tart and looks amazing in the glass. Fruitiness includes; Citrus and Banana. Very well carbonated. A special beer, perfect for relaxing whilst watching sport or wth friends. (199 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

The bottle and accompanying tulip-shaped glass it is served with is a show-stopper immediately in any bar. People will look at you and know you are well-versed in beers... but that is the least of concern, to you the drinker.
The beer must be poured slowly, as the head gives rise quickly and without hesitation... patience is rewarded. The smell is light, but not mysterious. One can definitely detect a slight hint of weight, and also several fruits. An apple maybe, but definitely a little lemon rind. Very carbonated, and light in the mouth; combined with the taste it is fun to drink, but be careful. At 8.5%, the fun can get ahold of you quick...
An exquisite beer to say the least. (690 characters)

750 ml bottle "good until 2/2009" poured into a Duvel glass

I figured it is time I review this beer since it was my introduction to the art of Belgian beer craft. Since I first tried it I have tasted many more Belgians (with many more to go)....

Gorgeous yellow-golden color, clear (bottle stored upright, yeast only came out in the last pour); giant actively rising massive foamy white head, recedes slowly leaving big chunks up and down the glass, with a perfect coat of lace.

Aroma is beguiling; there is fruitiness, citrus, pilsener maltiness...super-active carbonation foams in the mouth early after the pour, later calms down some.

The flavor carries through with a dancing array of complex, transforming flavors...refreshing like a pilsener, yet ale-like fruity sweetness and pleasing bitterness dance across the tongue. Every sip brings something new; no aspect of the character dominates, the pilsener/Belgian ale kaleidoscope of flavors makes this both a refreshing, delicious beer and one that can be contemplated. (1,038 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

This is my first review on BA.

Presentation: Big 750 ml bottle with cork.

Appearance: Very light yellow.

Aroma: Lemon and herbal aroma.

Taste: Spicy and sweet. Perfectly balanced, a bit dry. reminds me of champagne.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and with heavy foam.

Drinkability: This beer is the most drinkable beer I have tasted. (326 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: Deep golden color. It has a head that goes on for days. Excellent lacing.

Smell: This is a Belgian ale at its finest. Great hop character and a hint of malty sweetness at the back of your olfactory nerves.

Taste: My tongue came out of my mouth and gave me a hug. Hoppy but not overpowering. Sweet but not too sweet. This beer is a shining example of fantastic balance.

Mouthfeel: Excellent carbination and it has a great warming effect as it goes down the gullet.

Drinkability: Two words: Great BEER. (520 characters)

330mL bottle poured into a Duvel tulip

A - A nice golden color with a large amount of head. Leaves behind great lacing.

S - This has a great smell, a little bit of lemon, spice and some yeasty bread.

T - This is everything I was expecting and more. A crisp array of fruits with a little bit of spice, the alcohol was hidden very well. This tastes better as it starts to warm up a bit.

M - A good amount of carbonation and a medium body that adds up to a great experience. Feels really good all the way down.

D - For the high ABV, this goes down without a hitch. If it weren't for the price, I would drink a lot more of these in one sitting. (645 characters)

Package: 750ml corked bottle, Black Label, labeled 8.5% ABV

Cost: $6.99

Presentation: Duvel glass at ~45º

Appearance: Rich yellow color. Cloudy. Moussy head lasts forever. Extremely fine bubbles. Strong lace as beer is finished.

Smell: Citrus, apple, pear, and hops. Mustiness. Marks off for slight alcohol bite.

Taste: More integrated than the aroma. Creaminess, yeast, and malty sweetness moderate the hops, fruit and alcohol. Vinous quality appears as beer warms. Spice notes are well-incorporated. Elegant. Dry palate-cleansing finish. Ready for more!

Mouthfeel: Warm. Carbonation plays across the palate. Mouthfilling.

Drinkability: Very quaffable despite relatively high ABV.

The Real Deal! Duvel was my introduction to great beer. I read an article about the 10 best beers in the world. Duvel was #1, so on my first trip to Europe, I couldn’t wait to try it. I remember sitting in Brussels' Grand Place with my father. They came out with that lovely golden brew with a beautiful head of foam. We were amazed by how good this was! I have seen this reaction from many people to whom I’ve introduced this masterpiece. At Belgo in London. one friend mentioned liking Pawel Kwak, so we each agreed to order the other’s favorite. Needless to say, after that round, we both ordered Duvel. It is the perfect “food” beer, especially for highly-spiced or “sweet” cuisines like Indian, Thai, or Szechuan. My only quibble is I think the “white label” is better than the “black label” version despite protestations from the importer that they are the same. The “white” seems smoother and less carbonated. Winstonian says that the “white” is lower in alcohol, but I have no corroboration. More amazing is that this is no “boutique” beer. In fact, it is practically the Benelux Budweiser, and is still made by the family-owned brewery. I admire the Unibroues of the world, but this is the original and still champ; le vrai roi des bieres!

Backwash: Often someone on the forum asks which beer would you drink if it were your “desert island” beer. Well, I can’t think of a better one: refreshing, complex, satisfying, and devilishly drinkable. Appropriate in almost every circumstance. I’ve seen a novelty item, which enclosed a cigarette and match in a glass tube, marked “break glass in case of emergency.” Well, this is the beer I would want in that (bigger) tube. (2,523 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

my 100th review i saved for this gem ; pours a clear light golden color w/ a huge fluffy white head which lasts forever, lots of lacing that covers the entire wall of my snifter ; a very clean smell, low yeasty by-product aroma, mostly spicy hops and a pilsen-like malt smell, faint alcoholic undertone as well ; wow, an incredible, crisp malt flavor perfectly balanced w/ the hops, a faint fruity flavor underneath, kinda like a pilsner on steroids w/ a lower hop rate, hides the alcohol well ; a nice light-med body actually, slightly dry w/ a creamy texture, very interesting ; much better than most other belgians i've tried, i can see why this is one of the most sought after beers it's an extremely well drinking brew, i wish i had this on-tap in my house... (764 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: Used a Duvel Tulip glass and poured according to directions, so it came out a beautiful golden color with an amazing thick, creamy white head that lasted to the last sip

Smell: Wonderful fruity smell with pear notes

Taste: Light but packed with flavor. Somewhat fruity with a light malty taste

Mouthfeel: High carbonation, but with fine bubbles and a dry finish, so it is similar to champagne or asti.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day and go for more. If it was cheaper, I would always have it in my fridge

It is obvious why this is so high on the top beers list. Nothing needs improvement. Almost a perfect beer for me. (645 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

A classic in every right. An intricately crafted, perfectly-balanced, golden yellow champagne of a beer under a lacy mountain of foam that dances perilously close to an avalanche when poured. With sweet fruit and spice, this beer packs a warm alcoholic kick in the arse without a threatening taste or mouthfeel. Smooth and beautiful. (333 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours gold with perfect head. I just just look at it and be happy enough.

Smeels mildly sweet, alcohol is there with slight yeasty tones.

Taste: I say goddamn!! Some fruit, some yeast, some alcohol, all perfect.

Feels light and crisp, invites more than a few drinks.

This is about as good as a beer can be. I understand why Michael Jackson (beer God) loved this brew. Some things are just that good and words don't do it justice. This devil is just that. (458 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

I love this beer. It goes down smooth . It does have a fruity taste to it snd it somewhat dry. Always pours with a 2-3 finger head.Also is a cloudy amber color which I love.It is a great beer to come home to at the end of a hard day. It is a costly one but if it is in your budget, definetly worth buying. (305 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Stright out of the bottle this beer is heven.

A- Great light hazy kinda straw color. With a head that last for hours.

S- Malty aroma with hints of hops and yeast.

T- Sugary sweet malt with just an after taste of hops with a yeasty finish.

M- Smooth with a dry finish, and plenty of carbination.

D- I love Belgin style beers and this one more then fits the bill. Great for a summer afternoon.

Wavz (415 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Duvel. It's hard to believe it has been a 15 year on and off relationship and I'm just now getting around to reviewing you. We were first introduced when my friends and I had met a Belgian guy over the internet in '95 or '96. Dom was his name he came to Canada with all sorts of magical beers.

We were young and we lived in the poorest province in Canada. But the odd thing was we had the fastest residential internet feed on the continent. It was strange times and we were meeting lots of stranger people. The majority of our beer was, unfortunately, quite terrible. Despite this we knew there was better to be had.. Michael Jackson's pocket book on beer promised as much. And while our friends drank local versions of Labatt and Molson products we had moved on, past the imports and into the then exciting Upper Canada microbrewery. When Duvel arrived by way of our strange traveler it was a bit like handing a laptop to a neanderthal. We recognized it was far superior - but didn't understand how it worked, how it was created nor why we liked it so much.

That magic however was short lived. Dom was just as young as we were and he only had a backpack to hold his beer and clothes. He shortly returned to his life and us to ours. When you are young interests can be fleeting and intermixed with dozens of others. And even though Duvel was out of sight, it was not out of mind. There was potential there that none of us would forget.

It was Duvel that kicked open the door to the world that Michael Jackson wrote about. A world of great beers, great understanding and great friends. And for that reason it will always remain in my mind as the best beer. (1,659 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Served from 330 mL bottle. Color poured a pale yellow with a good amount of head. The smell was that of fruit, with a bit of alcohol to it. The taste is fairly dry, almost like brut champagne, and the alcohol is somewhat detectable, but not overwhelming. The mouthfeel is fairly carbonated, with hints of alcohol. As for drinkability, I could drink these as long as I could hold out :) I had heard many good things about Duvel, and having tried it I have to say I heartily agree! Along with its darker cousin Maredsous, this is certainly one of my favorite Belgians! (566 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

A - Pours an interesting lime gold, is extremely heady, easy 3 finger head with whispy lacing. Head is very solid like a Snow White hockey puck.
S - Hops, pilsner, lime, alcohol and sweetness.
T - Slight hops with a bit of a pilsner taste, strong on the alcohol with an interestingly enough tequila wang. Limey, very interesting and delicious.
O - A one of a kind beer, will be a repeat buyer.
V - Quite expensive at 15 dollars a four pack. (444 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

The cork flew right out of my hand with a literally deafening pop sound. My right ear is still ringing and I think the neighbors called the police. This amazing beer pours a pale, hazy yellow with a huge white head that loves to hang out and tease you. I smell a very pleasant fruitiness, mostly lemon. The mouthfeel is very crisp from the high carbonation, but it's a most enjoyable carbonation. To simply state the complexity of taste: sweet, fruity, spicy(mostly on the finish), simply amazing. This beer defines what high drinkability is. 8.5% ABV? You would never have a clue of that high level without the label on the bottle stating it. Not to sound repetitive, but this beer can definitely be dangerous. I'm going to struggle to limit myself to one 750mL bottle. (770 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

A - The puring process alone is an experience considering that the head refuses to recede...the color i would say is a clear gold

S - smells like malt and hops perfectly blended together but I get the image of bread while smelling it

T - the taste is wonderful...perfect Belgian style taste....the blend of hops and malt give off a taste that isnt too bitter or disgustingly sweet but just right I'd say with a lingering taste of honey

M - a great full body with carbonation

D - very easy to drink...light with a lingering taste of honey and malt, it gives a perfect endgame and leaves you wanting more

Im definatley a fan of this....the lasting tastes of malty hops and honey just fuels the desire for more. I even questioned if this even had alcohol in it....you can hardly taste it or feel it....a perfect beer with dinner and Im absolutely going to be drinking this in the future (889 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

date on the bottle is 2014.

Bright slightly hazy straw yellow body. i would almost swear its an AAL. Except for the head. Big thick white bubbly.

The smell is just amazing. Full of spicy peppery Belgian yeast. Banana and pear come to mind. Floral notes as well. Now this is how a Belgian Pale should smell.

I can see why Michael Jackson and this site rated this so highly. Everything is so balanced, yet every flavor is pronounced. The yeast feels spicy and floral. The main fruit flavors are pear and banana. It feels like like theres some biscuit malt in there somewhere as well.

So drinkable for 8.5%. full-bodied, and decently carbonated.

What a damn fine beer. (672 characters)

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV