Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,178 | Reviews: 2,704
4.31/5  rDev +1.4%

I love Duvel. It has a crisp, balanced character I don't find too often in Belgian beers. Its appearance is unparalleled.. the first time i properly poured one i was astounded (and still am every time!) This is an utterly sophisticated drink that could appeal even to those who don't drink beer. Highly reccomended: I'll leave detailed descriptions to those who are better at that sort of thing.

Also: I use my Duvel tulip religiously for a variety of beers. I got this 750ml on sale for $5.99 and it was a joy to employ the tulip for its intended brew!

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into a standard pint glass, because I don't have a tulip. Looks pale gold, and becomes cloudy when I pour the yeast. Huge, very strange head of very light foam (starting to see why the glass may be important) that leaves almost no lace. Smells of clove and bananas. Tastes of spicy clove, banana, and yeast. Be careful when drinking, because this is a pretty refreshing beer (especially on a warm summer's eve) where the ABV is barely noticible-this isn't called the Devil for nothing.

Despite the lack of a proper glass, I found this to be quite a good beer, although one that may take a bit of getting used to. I may re-review this one when I have that tulip.
---
3-6-2005:

Still don't have that tulip, but I decided to re-review this one. I'm glad I did. My palate has apparently grown up since I first reviewed Duvel, and I now consider it to be one of the best beers in the world. I still wish I had a tulip, but I don't think it matters, and it certainly didn't affect the taste of the beer, nor the drinkability. The aftertaste is a bit too dry for my liking, and the smell is a touch weak, but other than that, this is one good brew.

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

When I poured this I thought I did a terrible job, and maybe I did, but the picture on the bottle shows a lot of head there as well, so I guess that's normal. As for the beer itself, it was about as smooth as anything 8% that I've had. Tastes a lot like Maredsous, another one I liked. The beer just kind of floated its way down into my stomach. I finished it without even noticing my progress, I think that says something about a beer. Oh yeah and I wasn't drunk either, so it must have been the Duvel.

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%

Watch out when you pour this baby...there is even a warning on the bottle. The head explodes into something similar to what the picture shows above. Very foamy and long lasting. I like a small creamy head and this just was a little too much, so the next few I poured with great care and very little head was produced.

A very vibrant golden color reminicent of...believe it or not...Schlitz. The smell and flavor are far from the Schlitz though. Fruity with a small touch of spice. Reminds me of apple juice. The beer goes down very smooth. Some say you can't tell that there is an alcohol content above 8% but I can taste it. The taste isn't biting like the taste you find with high gravity malt liquors though...more of an acidic apple juice flavor without the acid bite if that makes much sense?

I was expecting great things with this beer, but I didn't quite receive them. It is just a very good easy drinking beer, but not outstanding. Very well ballanced I might add too. I enjoyed it, but for the price, I wouldn't buy it again. Watch the alcohol content, it will sneek up on you.

4.26/5  rDev +0.2%

I feel as comfortable sipping this beer by day as I do by night. The most beautiful foamy head I've ever seen, and it lasts forever in the Duvel glass, sitting atop a gold so intense it almost glows. Fragrant fruity spiciness, sweet yet crisp and clean.

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

Yeah! now here's a REAL Belgian! There are many imitators out there, but there's nothing like the real thing.
Light gold body looks much like champaign. Big airy white head. Smell is peppery spice with fruit notes, particularly apple. Tastes as you'd expect from the smell. Spicy, with many complex fruity notes. Light malt throughout. Mouthfeel is amazing. Looks so carbonated and harsh in the glass but man is it smooth! So unexpected. Not like champaign, this beer has tiny light smooth bubbles, and is not fizzy at all. It goes down so easy. Big time refreshment here. This 750 ml bottle is too damn small. 8.5 abv is hidden mad well so watch your back! Especially since this brew is so easy drinking.

Notes: make sure you consume out of the proper glass (oversized wine glass or tulip). It makes a shit load of a difference. Also, if you're in the beer store, try to pick up a bottle that has the best before date arriving within a year or so rather than one that has 3 years left. A fresher bottle just does not deliver the same great aroma and flavor of a slightly aged one. A year makes a huge difference with this brew IMO.

Notes II: holy bejesus! The devil is kickin my ass here!

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

The appearance is cloudy, with an obviously thick head. This is not a beer you need to pour aggressively to get an acceptable head. The smell is great with a slight hint of hops. I'm not sure what it is about this beer that is different- be it the bohemian hops or the belgian yeast? Either way, the flavor is great. Excellent balance of hops and malt. Incredible fruit flavor. Very good beer. This is the classic example of a Belgian strong pale ale.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Short stumpy 330 ml brown bottle, 8.1% alcohol, best before 05 / 2007.
Have to use a tulip glass to get the full effect of the pour. Slightly hazy pale yellow-gold color, with massive amount of carbonation, bubbles just kept coming, full chunky white head, nice lace trail. No strong smells, light citrus, some coriander, typical lager smells. Flavour is also quite light, more tangy citrus and some spice, touch of weiss yeast finish. Nice finish of balancing hops. Smooth finish, its not until the beer hits your stomach that you feel the warmth from the high alcohol content. Perfect for a cold day.

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%

Presentation: 750ml caged corked.

Appearance: light hazy straw color. Small bone white head with good retention. Effervescent, lots of bubbling in the glass.

Smell: Sweet malt, slight phenol, very light green apple, and a slight sourness

Taste: very effervescent, light phenols, lots of fruitiness, with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: light body, dry, a little astringent, and sour. I don't remember this beer being this tart, maybe it was a bad bottle.

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The Belgians have a wonderful reputation of brewing the most complex, sensory-stimulating beers in the world. The have mastered the art of blending the basic ingredients with only the finest adjuncts the world has ever seen.
Duvel is a prime example of this gift.
Long known as one of the best that Belgium has to offer, Duvel makes a point to demonstrate what a good beer should taste like every time you open the bottle.
Pouring a golden orange colour, it resembles a cross between a strong ale and a pilsner. Beautiful head perches atop the beer, thick and frothy.
The sences are overwhelmed with the aroma of sugars, grapefruit, apples, pepper, and other spices. Almost like walking into a bakery.
The taste is spicey with strong fruity flavors, a spicey kick and a sweet finish.
This is a beer you really want your sences at their peek for. A fantastic Belgian in every way.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: Sunny yellow color and a fluffy head.
Smell: Hops, malt, and that unique Belgian freshness.
Taste: A little lighter than I expected but still very good. This may be the most balanced Belgian I've ever had.An excellent taste overall.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and well carbonated.
Drinkability: Not a bad session brew if you can tolerate the 8.5 ABV.

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

At first I thought this beer was all hype. I couldn't have been more wrong. Wow, what a great beer. I am beginning to love Belgian Strong Pale Ales. It pours a cloudy lemon yellow color and has a thick white head that leaves a ton of lace in my glass. It has a fruity, yeasty aroma and a very yeasty fruity flavor. Very well balanced and definitely world. If only it was a bit cheaper. I could go broke drinking this bier.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

I stumbled--luckily--onto a 4-pack (330 ml) with Duvel tulip at the local craft outlet (Mug & Chalice, Chesterfield, VA).

Pours as advertised. Cloudy yellow, large foamy suds-like head that stayed put. Column of bubbles erupted from the "etched-D" at the bottom of the glass until I consumed the whole thing. Tres cool.

This smelled very much like the Hennepin from the Moortgat-operated Ommegang. Yeasty, floral, citrus-rind.

The taste was immediately malty and hoppy: is that what bittersweet means? This alternates between tasting like a lager, an ale, a saison...I can't keep up.

The mouthfeel was not as full and creamy as I had hoped, given the size of the head on this drink. But it was consistent from start to finish. Perhaps the hops asserted themselves too early, but then the malt comes through. This beer gives you everything at once and it is up to your brain to figure it out.

Now, given the 8.5% abv, this should have some alcohol kick. I tasted none of it. I felt it around the 11th ounce. This beer is scarily easy to drink. I will not consume this if I have to drive because I don't think I could limit myself to one or two.

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%

Got the four-pack-with-glass, a great idea in my book. This beer is simply beautiful with the proper pour, which I was nervous about trying, but it was surprisingly easy. Looks like it should--beautiful almost-cloudy golden, with gorgeous big bubbles in the carbonation and a soft, pillowy, cloudlike head. Smells like a Czech Pils, which was scary, but the nose changes when the head is disturbed (like in drinking). Hops, citrus? Orange rind.

What a mouthfeel! Lively and smooth, exactly how it should be. Tastes good, not too many specifics that I can pinpoint, but generally floral, mild orange, hops, and some light esthers. Damn I love this glass. Just beautiful all the way through; amazing lacing and the head is determined.

3.74/5  rDev -12%

(330 ml bottle, white label, "best before 09 2007")

Ah... this is my first "evil" beer. Duvel may be a mass produced beer, but this beer is still proof that a big brewery can still be considered a "craft" brewery. This beer might not be everyone's cup of tea, and I myself probably wouldn't make this beer a regular habit, but this is definitely a must try for anyone who considers themselves a serious beer drinker.

Duvel pours a deceptive gold color, to which the uninitiated might confuse it with a standard fizzy yellow beer. When poured in the Duvel glass, the head is gargantuan, and a flurry of bubbles are visible within the golden liquid. The foam retains extremely well and leaves some nice sticky lace. The aroma had some light sweetness, spiciness, and yeastiness to it. As it warmed, the smell become increasingly more spicy. The bubbly mouthfeel hits the tongue and "stings" it slightly, and combined with the alcoholic warmth this beer feels a bit "hot." The flavor has some light sweetness and fruitiness, but the main flavor includes a huge spicy and peppery flavor. The alcohol does show up a bit in the flavor as well. The overall flavor combined with the hops make the finish drying and bitter. In the aftertaste, the dryness/bitterness linger on with a green apple-like fruitiness accompanying it. Further on (about 5 minutes later), a herbal/tea like aftertaste arrived. I was tasting this beer well after I finished off the glass. The beer concludes with a nice warming sensation.

This is a beautiful looking brew with a unique taste that is surprisingly easy to drink. I didn't know what to think of it at first, but the taste grew on me (I would say it improved as the beer grew warmer). A classic.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

From a 750mL bottle. $7.49 at the grocer.

Pours a golden color with a massive, and yes, I do mean massive white head that simply will not go away, and leaves a nice lacing on the glass. A slight fruity, golden raisin with slight spice and lemon aroma. The taste is of multiple fruits (but not overbearing or overpowering) with some citrus and bannanas, and a great balance of spicy hops and a wonderful bitterness. It fills the mouth perfectly, without being too heavy; you can <barely> feel the extent of the alcohol as you swallow- you really get the perfect amount of bite in this. Even though in terms of alcohol I've definitely hit my limit, I desperately want another one IMMEDIATELY.

Overall, one of the most perfect beers I've ever had. Really, it's so fantastic, that I can't explain strongly enough how wonderful it is. There's really very little that I can complain about with this one.

Also, as a 'side- tip,' make sure that you get some of the yeast from the bottle in your glass. It really does enhance the flavor wonderfully in this one.

2.36/5  rDev -44.5%

I really feel bad saying this, but this beer kinda sucked. The flavor of it was pretty disgusting... tasted almost like a bad witbier. Something about this just turned me off completely. I'm highly dissapointed, given that this is such a "classic" beer. Well... cheers, anways.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Pours a lovely orange/gold with a large, sudsy head.

Aroma is full of sweet fruits, mostly apple, yeast and brief alcohol notes.

Absolutely delicious, medium bodied with plenty of soft carbonation. Belgian yeast flavors show up along with a sour sweetness and a bit of an apple-fruity taste. The alcohol is felt if not really tasted, and a bit of Chardonnay or champagne flavors flash in the finish.

Delicious Belgian pale, quickly becoming a preferred style.

Poured in a Duvel glass, clear with a slight haze, true blond in color, four inch head that laced the glass, and plenty of centro-carbonation action. The yeast at the bottom of the bottle is not evident in the Duvel glass.
Smell is similar to a light nutty wheat malt with light/medium flowery and spruce lemon/lime hops.
The taste is a sweet solid, moderate, and nutty wheat malt; moderate herbal, spruce, grapefruit, and lemon/lime hops; a light doughy and nutty yeast; and a sweet finish with hints of white wine or champagne, butterscotch, and possibly vanilla.
The mouthfeel is a light/medium body, dry texture, soft/lively carbonation, with a slightly metallic finish.
The drinkability is great for this type of beer some of the sweetness will limit this from being any type of session beer.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Very impressive head. Rocky white and all sizes of bubbles. Great retention and lace, good carbonation. Body is a cloudy sun-yellow.
Strong fruits and sugar make up the clean and pure nose of this brew.
Taste is massively sweet and spiced applepie and pear, yet somehow it does not seem unbalanced at all. Aftertaste could linger abit longer but still very good. Alcohol comes through mostly up front and lends it's warmth to the drinker.
Very good mouthfeel, full and with substance but not soo much as to enter the realm of stouts and porters.
Yes I want another but mind the abv, it will kick your ass if not respected.

-Oelergud

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

I have awoken late at night, from a terrible nightmare, in the past. I dreamt that Duvel could no longer be imported to the US. WOW, what an awful dream, just plain awful. This beer is almost indescribable. It seduces you with fruity and spicy aromas and flavors, yet every drink begs another, until the 4 pack that you bought is gone. And, of course you're incapacitated on the floor from the 8.5 ABV. Think of a heavy bodied beer, how it tastes/feels, then somehow make it as easy to drink as iced tea. Amazing, but be careful, your wallet and your liver do pay the price!

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%

Drank this after sharing some Kwak at a Christmas party, what a difference! Pours a hazy straw color with a big puff of pure white head. Enticing aromas of fresh bread, yeasty must, cloves, banana, and cotton candy. Oohh baby, this is good! Doughy malts, yeast, clove and pepper, banana, yellow raisens, and rock candy. Sweet without tasting sugary. Quite complex and warming, alcohol not obvious. Light to medium bodied with a tight, bubbly mouthfeel. Very well done, it makes the Kwak look like an amature offering. More please!

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

The Devil,huh ? Well come on in.This belgian poured a bright clear gold with a wonderfully foamy head that left heavy lacing all the way down,The champagne -like carbonation was a definite plus.This looked just beautiful sitting there in my goblet.Both aroma and flavor were subtley citrucy and spicy with slight hints of clove and banana.Overall, full bodied and extremely smooth.This one is definitely a keeper.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Happy Christmas to me. I found a 750 ml bottle of this for sale at Eagle River Liquors in Fulton, Illinois, right in time for Christmas Eve dinner. Ho ho ho.

Sunshine colored. Cloudy. Pretty, blank white head. Very nice.

It smells like candy fruit, only not in the too-sweet icky way that candy fruit can smell. This is old, like grandma's candy jar. Fizzy yeast that tickle the nose. Nice

Bit hit of fruity yeast upfront. Nice. Followed by a really juicy citrus BANG that is from either the malt or the hop--I can't tell. There is a really nice alcohol dryness at the end.

The mouthfeel is what takes the cake. It's like I'm tasting the stars. Or wait--that's a bit of a trite simile. It's umm, like, what that kid whose stomach exploded from mixing coke and pop rocks must have felt like before the horrible pain of an exploding organ kicked in. Fabulous.

Despite the high alcohol content, I should have no problem finishing off this bottle.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

12/22/04- Purchased at Piazza's Market in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- Small stubby 11.2 oz bottle with no freshness date. Poured into my Duvel glass.

Appearance- Cloudy golden coloring, huge foamy at first, then creamy head, above average lacing throughout.

Smell- Mostly some sweet fruit scents. Maybe a tad bit of alcohol. A nice mouthwatering smell.

Taste- Very sweet and sugary fruitiness. Some bitter hops and a light tinge of medicinal alcohol.

Mouthfeel- This is one damn carbonated beer. Way to much for me. Took me about an hour to suck down this bottle, which was good because the taste came out a bit more as the carbonation went down.

Drinkability- If I let this one sit for an hour before drinking it would have been better. The carbonation is about the only drawback in this beer for me. Otherwise it would be one of my top 10 probably. Very tasty.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV