Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

A pleasant beer in every sense: interesting bottle, light hazy color, nice head. Pleasant taste not overpowering. Found it a bit creamy and sweet and not overly dry, but higher than average alcohol does affect mouthfeel. perhaps it was my batch or the chemistry changes depending on storage and age. Nice with food and would have another anytime.

Sammy, Dec 05, 2003

t0rin0, Sep 08, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

A - Pours a clear pale gold color with a HUGE 1.5 to 2 inch head that fades to about 1 inch. Super perfect pillowy head and nice ring lacing. Probably the best head I have seen on a beer thus far in my beer drinking adventure.

S - Nice spices, peppercorns, subtle fruits, sweet malt.

T - Mainly sweet malts, very little bitterness, mild spices. Some subtle apple fruit taste shows through. A dry champagne like essence is present as well.

M - Perfect amount of carbonation made for small bubbles rising in my glass over the life span of this beer (which wasn't very long). Dry and crisp like champagne.

D - This is one of the best beers I have ever had. I have tried other beers in this same style but this is by far the best of the bunch. A remarkable beer that I will come back to for life.

UCLABrewN84, Jul 07, 2010

djrn2, Nov 14, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

G: Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Quite pale and golden. Very nice white head and lacing.

S: Good smell of Belgian yeast a long with the tiniest bit of sourness and a little bit of dry sweetness.

T: Some hops with a good dose of Belgian yeast and pale malts. Slight sweetness and a tad bit of spice.

M: Very crisp. Fairly light mouthfeel, with a small alcohol bite.

D: Exceedingly drinkable--this will be a standby during the summer months.

Thorpe429, Apr 28, 2009

zestar, Jun 13, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

nmann08, Dec 14, 2011

acurtis, Jan 13, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and poured into a tulip glass with a three finger high bright white head that has excellent retention properties. A moderate amount of carbonation is visible.
S: The smell isn't that strong, but there are notes of citrusy and floral hops in the nose along with some hints of fruit, spices and yeast.
T: The taste is similar to the aroma but is much stronger and has flavors of apples, bananas, pears, spices and yeast. There's a sight amount of bitterness in the finish. Some alcohol is noticeable, but it doesn't detract from the taste.
M: It feels light-bodied, crisp and very highly carbonated on the palate. There's also a significant amount of dryness.
D: The beer is very easy to drink because the alcohol is well hidden.

metter98, Jul 22, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy straw color with a foamy whipped egg white head that persists well and thoroughly laces the chalice

Smell: Lemon and yeasty funk dominate but there is a subtle candi sugar aroma underneath

Taste: Starts with a tangy lemon and green apple flavor that is soon joined by a vaguely funky/vaguely sweet element; after the swallow, the bitter grassy Saaz hops hit their stride and persist well into the finish

Mouthfeel: Light and effervescent with warming alcohol on the way down the gullet

Drinkability: Not my favorite among the Belgians but I respect it for what it is; always welcome when available

brentk56, Dec 09, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +15%

Effervescent Spanish doubloon gold beneath a massive alabaster head of frothily creamy foam. I don't have a Duvel glass, but I do have a flared-top snifter that is almost identical other than the decal. The cap retains a melty, bubbly, 'scoop of mousse' look as it falls and leaves a wonderful array of abstract patterned lace on all available surfaces. As I knew it would be, this is one gorgeous beer.

The nose is no slouch either. It's immensely golden fruity (apples and pears) with more than a little musky hoppiness and an equal amount of spicy yeastiness. BSPAs are similar to my favorite Belgian style (tripels) and this one is the equal of all but the very best of those. A wee whiff of alcohol adds strength of purpose.

At long last, the great Duvel has come into contact with my taste buds and I have to say that it's everything that I'd hoped it would be. It's amazing how such an aggressively flavored beer can be so light in the mouth, so gentle, so dreamily drinkable. I think that Brouwerij Duvel has it wrong when they recommend drinking this fine ale at 40-50 degrees. I started my bottle out at 50 and the flavor is becoming deeper and more complex as it warms.

The flavor profile is a nearly perfect combination of sweet and snappy pears, lemon zest and peppery-clovey yeast. Just when I think that one member of that trio is most dominant, the others catch up and overtake it. I'm stunned at how compulsively drinkable this beer is; my hand keeps reaching for the glass instead of recording my impressions. As with all great high ABV beer, alcohol is noticed on the palate, but is such an integral part of the whole that eliminating it would make for a lesser flavor experience.

There's too much flavor, too much underlying sweetness and too much glorious hoppy bitterness for the finish to be considered clean, but then I've always though that clean finishes were overrated. The final few ounces (which have come much sooner in this review than usual) are even more chock full of flavor and even more peppery, more tartly fruity, more noble hoppy and more delicious.

How do they make the body/mouthfeel so cumulus cloud light and airy, yet substantial enough to keep the beer in contact with the taste buds for so long? I got used to highly carbonated Belgian beer a while ago and now wouldn't have it any other way. This stuff is pure pleasure in the mouth and the angelic mouthfeel is a big reason why it's disappearing so devilishly fast.

I had a pretty good idea that I would like Duvel when I finally got around to trying it. I didn't realize, however, just how truly special it is. I don't know if 'it's a style unto itself' as the brewery claims, but it's certainly the best BSPA that I've ever had the pleasure to consume and is the new gold standard by which all others will now be judged.

BuckeyeNation, Aug 14, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Golden ale with one very nice head that stayed on top of brew for a few minutes. Quite refreshing with the right amount of spice. Alcohol taste is not too distinct. I could drink this one very often. I find a ressemblance in the malts to the one Unibroue use for their beers.

Phyl21ca, Sep 29, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Everytime I open a bottle I am always asking, "Now why is this not the best beer in the world?" There are few beers that single-handedly define the style ideally. Duvel does it as well as any other beer.

A careful pour is needed as the beer's head fills the chalice at about twice the pace of the liquid itself. Medium straw and with brilliant clarity. The carbonation contiunes to build a head that is shows great stability, longevity and airiness. The beer leaves impressive lacing thoughout the session.

Moderate, yet complex aromas of fruity pears along with sharp acrid scents of under-rippened berries and apples. Softer pilsner malts soon find the olfactories, giving a firm malty base for the esters, acidity, and spices. Noble hops give a perfume and lemongrass note that again gives complexity while balancing the malts. Spiced with subtle white pepper and zesty alcohols, this beer takes on a ligtly vineous, berry-like, citrusy, lightly tart taste. Again the hop flavor perplexes the taste with a light earthiness that complements the fruits with vibrant lemmon counterparts.

The beer is as dry in the body as a beer can be without getting chalky or powdery. Acidity cleanses the palate very well. The beer expands wonderfully in the mouth with its abundance of controlled carbonation, yet evaporates with a cotton-candy like whimsy. Alcohols accentuate the carbonation and accompany the spiciness into the finish. Effortless to drink and dangerously smooth.

The beer is basically ideal!

BEERchitect, Jun 11, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

So here, we have this wonderful brew. No believe it or not, with over 800 reviews I had never done one for this. I was shocked when I noticed this, but to be honest it had been a long time since I had last had a bottle, so I knew I was going to have to pick up another one to be able to review it properly, which is just what I did on the way home last night. Got this 750 ml bottle and took it right out of the cooler section, put it on ice and brought t it home. Served it at around 50 degrees and poured it into a Rodenbach chalice all night to finish this one off.

Appearance - Poured an extremely vibrant and bright straw colored yellow. Very clear, I mean very clear, one of the clearest beers I have seen. An absolutely enormous amount of carbonation on this one. In fact, when I popped the cork it damn near woke up my son. This was a seriously well-carbonated beverage if I have ever seen one. A huge white head, pretty much immeasurable formed across the top and spilled over the sides of the glass coating everything in huge frothy bubbles. This would not fade at all, and I mean at all. There was just a huge pillow like layer of foam across the top of this throughout the session, and it must have literally took close to seven pours before I could fit the whole bottle into glasses. It just would not give up. Huge side glass presentation, leaving sticky blobs of foam pretty much everywhere throughout the glass. The carbonation bubbles were streaming up from the bottom of the glass so quickly and in such abundance, if I did not know better I would have thought it was champagne. Overall, I was very impressed with the look of this one, I could see why people rave about it!

Smell - The aroma was very light and airy, and to be honest much fruitier then I thought it would be, which came as a bit of a shock at first. I had expected a strong grainy Belgian pale, but this was quite nice and light. Waves of light fruit and light grain came over me all at once. Hints of light pear aromas, mixed in with apples were now commonplace. A nice light alcohol smell mixing in and giving it a little bit of depth and letting you know this was quite a bit bigger then you thought it was. Very light cereal and earthy grains coming on now, and just a touch of something sour sitting off in the background, not too strong, just maybe a hint of grapes. Not bad overall, and much lighter then I would have thought.

Taste - The flavored followed along the taste perfectly. A wonderfully light mixture of soft bright fruit flavors that was layered on top of a light alcohol warming with ample amounts of fresh light grains thrown in. Hints of pears and apples were more then abundant here and were really showing off how well this was put together. A nice light cereal grain was the backbone, blended seamlessly with the yeast and a nice light grassy flavor. Some hints at a light sour grape were near the end of it. The finish was very quick and clean, but very dry. It was a weird champagne like dry if you know what I mean, just kinda leaving it all out there.

Mouthfeel - The feel on this was superb as well. Really one of the lightest, and definitely one of the most highly carbonated beverages I have ever had. A very nice blend of flavors really hid the alcohol well and I could have just kept on going with this one as it was just effortless.

Drinkability - As for a nice strong Belgian, this was about as sessionable as you can get. Light flavors were abundant here, really being very bright and expressive and allowing it to be refreshing at the same time that you could be exploratory with the flavors. Really quite well put together and I would have definitely had another when I was done.

Overall, I thought this was outstanding. Now is it worth the hype and the high rating, hard to say. Something does not get such a high ranking after almost 1200 reviews without having something going for it. Are there better ales out there, sure there are, but this is a classic, and will always be. If you are looking to introduce someone to the style this would work perfectly.

mikesgroove, Feb 21, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Texasfan549, Nov 17, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

kjkinsey, Dec 04, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

Another one of those beers that I tried along time ago that I figured was worth a revisit. Here she goes...

A: The pour is very pale yellow/straw in color with an initially huge white head that slowly dies down to a thin layer.

S: Smells sweet and apple juice-like with a lot of yeast contributions. Some slight banana and spice notes going on, along with pears and perhaps some grassy hops.

T: The flavor is similarly sweet with lots of apples and pears with hints of banana and orange zest. Bread and a slight candi sugar note in terms of the malt character. Maybe a bit of skunk to go along with some grassy hops.

M: The body is medium with a moderate to high carbonation and a surprisingly dry finish.

D: Definitely different from what I remember. Not really worse or better, just different. Still not my favorite beer.

womencantsail, Jan 18, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

ygtbsm94, Jan 10, 2012

GRG1313, Feb 09, 2013

spycow, Jan 10, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very large white foam head with long retention on a clear bright golden body. Aroma of Belgian yeast, coriander, herbal hops, lemon custard, musty malts. Flavors provide an excellent Belgian experience with nice yeast presence, very herbal hop flavors, tart citrus, some pine resin and a little more alcohol presence than I feel us typical of the style. Medium body and moderate to high carbonation with a dry finish. As stated above, the Belgian character is excellent with this one being very complex and yet still nicely drinkable. I am surprised I have gone this long without having tried this one.

kylehay2004, Apr 12, 2013

jaydoc, Nov 16, 2013
3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a tall, airy, cloud white head. Notable head retention and tons of fine, sticky lacing throughout.

Smell: Delicate malts with soft touches of clover honey. Mild floral and spice notes, along with fruity hints of pineapple and banana-flavored bubblegum. Lightly boozy, but it's a classy booziness, mind you.

Taste: Soft pale maltiness with a light honey sweetness. Splash of dessert wine. Bits of banana, chewing gum, and ripe pineapple. Slight sour yeastiness. Light floral and spicy Noble hop character and bitterness. Peppery alcohol, particularly on the otherwise drying, fruity finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Moderate carbonation. Very slight stickiness throughout.

Drinkability: Rather drinkable despite the 8.5% ABV. A respectable stalwart member of the classic Belgians.

ChainGangGuy, Nov 27, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

The first time I had this beer I really didn't care for it. I guess my beer senses just weren't ready for something like this yet. The beer seemed to taste like metal or blood each time I took a sip, don;t know why but it kind of sucked at the time.

After trying this again a year or so later I found that this beer is a gem. It's just about as much of a Classic as Chimay or St. Bernardus.

The beer pours out with a bright yellow hazy color with a big foamy head on it. This beer is a lively one. The aromas of Belgian Yeast and some funk with booze mixed together. Some intense hops are on the nose too. The taste is quite bitter and it stings the tongue with lots of needle like sensations on every sip. This beer is really worth trying, every now and then you need to let the Devil loose!

Green Devil Beer Cocktail:
1 Bottle of Duvel
1oz of Bluecoat Gin
1oz of Absinthe

Knapp85, Apr 07, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

What a real nice pour, a straw color with a huge rocky head that sticks very nice to my glass,aroma is spicey and very yeasty.The taste is fruity with definent yeast flavors and some very spicey notes,a truley enjoyable complex beer.A world classic Iam glad I finally got the chance to try this beer.

oberon, Aug 11, 2003