Microbrew Invitational

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Reviews: 2,756 | Ratings: 7,667
4.75/5  rDev +11%

pale, hazy, awesome/huge white head. leaves the coolest lacing as you drink it.

smells like bread, hops, fruit, pepper.

tastes as smells with a great taste on the palate.

mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, warming.

very drinkable.dangerous as hell. no wonder they call it the devil!

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Poured into my Duvel glass. My first Duvel in these glasses.

A - Huge fluffy white head, huge head. Loads of little bubbles spiraling out of the bottom of the glass. Body is luscious, golden, crisp, slightly cloudy delight.

S - Slightly hoppy, slightly yeasty (good yeasty). Little malt but fresh clean smell.

T - Balanced, clean, flavourful and awesome.Slightly citrusy at first, then pale malt flavours and then a clean hoppy after taste.

M - Carbonated, clean, aftertaste develops different flavours.

D - For 8.1% ABV, amazingly drinkable. Could get massively pissed.

About time I had this beer.

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%

The colour is bright, cloudy gold and there is a thick, creamy head, that slowly dissolves.

There is a very floral aroma with tones of hops and a slight citrus note. The taste is full of a pleasant hop bitterness. There is also a mellow malt taste that settles down into a warming alcohol aftertaste. The beer also has a floral freshness that compliments the general complexity of the taste.

It's interesting that this beer is so fresh, yet so complex. It really makes for a brew that you can relax and channel out with.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

First off, thanks to the previous reviewer for saying that it smelled of sourdough, that was the word I was trying to think of for the past few minutes to describe the taste/smell (had massive writer's block).

Appearance: Cloudy golden yellow. Similar in appearance to a good heffeweizen.

Smell: Citrus, sourdough, a very clean smell that just fits the style like a glove.

Taste: Where to begin... there's just so much going on in each sip that it's hard to pick a beginning point. I guess what really hit me first was a sharp lemony taste that transitioned smoothly into a bready sourdough taste. Sharp hops are noticeable throughout with just a tiny almost hidden note of honey or brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: smooth, bubbly, refreshing.

Drinkability: The alcohol is so well hidden it ends up sneaking up on you. It's so delicious that you're drunk before you really realize it. That's both a good and a bad thing depending on whether or not you want to get smashed.

Food pairing: chili, porterhouse steak, seafood, good cheese. Rule of thumb: if it goes well with sourdough, or if you like the dish with a twist of lemon, this beer will compliment it nicely.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

My first review so I might as well start with one of the best! Bought the 4 pack with the coveted Duvel tulip glass, lovely. Watched a goofy video on how to properly pour this stuff, doesn't really seem to matter though it pours perfect everytime!
The initial appearance is fantastic, with a huge foamy head that lingers for several minutes, and beautiful copper orange that has a unique glow... it may be radioactive!
The smell is an exceptional mix of yeast and grain of some sort, it just smells damn good!
The first taste seems to tickle the tongue and invites you to really keep it in your mouth with a clean, crisp finish, you just keep wanting more! Perfect Belgium.
Overall this is one, if not the #1 most drinkable beer I have ever had. Can't wait for the next chance to try this again.
Cheers!!

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Awesome head, immaculate white and pale yellow cloudy colour, with a torrent of bubbles that helps mantain the huge head for what feels like ages. Yeasty aromas, very Belgian.
A well worked taste, not very light and the alcohol is there but you nearly do not feel it, which leaves a memorable mouthfeel, you have to try it.

An awesome beer for 1,89 € here, quite worth it.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

When I poured this I thought I did a terrible job, and maybe I did, but the picture on the bottle shows a lot of head there as well, so I guess that's normal. As for the beer itself, it was about as smooth as anything 8% that I've had. Tastes a lot like Maredsous, another one I liked. The beer just kind of floated its way down into my stomach. I finished it without even noticing my progress, I think that says something about a beer. Oh yeah and I wasn't drunk either, so it must have been the Duvel.

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

Sweet malty goodness. I first had this beer in Maarssen the Netherlands at a bar. Poured golden with a white large pure white head that lasted forever.

The taste is of sweet malt, pears, and fruity sweetness. just a hint of hops.

The mouthfeel has alot of body but the beer is well balanced. I get excited everytime this beer is spoke of. This beer will always have a place in my heart.

Definately a must for someone experiencing belgians for the first time.

A truely remarkable beer!

If only I could buy this beer often. Simply put, one of the best beers I've ever had, if not the one. Citrus aromas, with a complex sweet and citrus taste. Carbonation and alcohol mouthfeel, a very heavy beer (which is what one should expect when drinking a strong pale ale, right). I could drink this forever...

4.16/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a goblet.

A: Light gold with a very frothy head which laces all the way down. Not what I expected from a beer the same color as Miller Lite.

S: Somewhat dirty/metallic smell, other than that it smells like wheat and malts.

T: Exceptional taste. It's light and lager-ish, but with a great balance of carbonation and a good alcohol taste as well. Surprisingly good.

M: The light, airy tastes are complemented by the fizzy, thin mouthfeel.

D: Fairly sessionable, but it will catch up with you quickly.

3.46/5  rDev -19.2%

33cl 2005 bottle. Effervescent, pale/golden in color, with a large white pillow like head. Aroma of spices, clove, bananas, pineapples, and some earthy/mustiness. Flavor dances across your tong with pepper, spices and some metallic hints. Very dry bitterness and a little alcohol warming on the way down.

This beer poured perfectly clear until the end of the bottle when the yeast was roused. A perfect decant was not possible as the head was literally rising out of the glass! Hazy yellow-gold body with an orange-cast topped by a dense, rocky bright-white head that holds extremely well - buoyed by a tight-beaded effervescent carbonation - and leaves some exceptional
lace. Aroma is quite fragrant: fruity, yeasty, candy sweet and malty, lightly peppery with a touch of spicy hops. The body is light/medium with an extremely fine and highly effervescent carbonation that is pillowy soft and velvety smooth in the mouth.
The flavor is surprisingly full and rich, starting with a candyish malty sweetness, becoming dryish in the middle with some earthy and lightly spicy hop flavors, and finishing long and malty with some more distinct Saaz notes and touches of bitterness. The alcohol is amazingly well hidden. Impressively balanced with a fresh hop presence and bitterness that dances amongst such sweet malt character. Amazing. As Michael Jackson notes, Duvel is equally impressive served chilled, or as it warms toward cellar temperature. This makes it quite drinkable, and enjoyable, as a glass can be savored over a period of time. One of my favorite beers in the world, and absolutely recommended.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Nice thin head with a golden body.

Aroma is a bit musty with a hint of lime.

The carbination combined with the twang of the alcohol scream champange but the secondary flavors say otherwise. The alcohol is subtle with an applesauce hint which is masked by a wheaty bitterness and wonderful amount of alcohol. A unique balanced beer that I would love to discover in the back of my fridge.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Served in tulip glass.

Pours a cloudy, pale gold. Very noticeable carbonation. Snow-white head with ridiculous stickiness and outrageous retention. It isn't going anywhere.

Aromas of green apples, flambéed bananas, spices and yeast are prominent.

Very crisp pale malt flavor balanced superbly with a mild bitterness and a very pleasant carbonation. Alcohol is very elusive. Finishes quite dry with notes of clove and fruits.

Mouthfeel is just fantastic. Very clean and very smooth, with a medium-yet-lively body.

Drinkability is off the charts for me. Almost too delicious. But not quite.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - Very light gold

Smell - Lot's of aroma - yeast and malts

Taste - Extremely light, yet complex with a lingering flavor

Mouth Feel - Crisp and smooth

Drinkability - Lot's of aroma hits the nose with champagne-like carbonation, then crisp and light like a Pilsner yet complex like an ale with lingering flavors and a dry rather than sweet finish. So, there are a lot of things going on when you sip on this beer - Amazing!

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Long been my favorite beer. High ABV but not overwhelming. Soft mouthfeel due to fine carbonation. Nice, consistent taste, not overstated. Dangerous because it is one of the few high ABV Belgians you can drink multiplies of without getting tired of it.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Probably one of the best beers in the world, this foamy, golden Belgian Ale is meticulously crafted and not allowed to leave the brewery until ready. The distinctive large white head and the mouth-watering smell of spices on the nose rewards the drinker with a burst of spice on the tongue that one will never forget. Again, the drinkability does not belie the fact that it is a high gravity brew, so be prepared to savor the experience responsibly.

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

A pint for $8.95 was purchased for me in Massachusetts on my birthday (a little pricey if you ask me). Nice looking offering, corked, with and an interesting write up about the brewery and how to serve the beverage was printed on the bottle.
Poured into a glass it was yellow with noticable hazeyness. Poured like it was champaigne, with tons of bubles and a rediculously thick white head that stayed on the glass and looked like a solid substance when I was done. I could tell this was going to be a good beer.
The smell was fruity/citrus with alcohol. MINOR hints of hops broke through at times.
Taste was very complex with alcohol taking over at the end. Almost too complex of a taste to describe. Very pleasing however.
Tingley mouthfeel that smooths out and goes down easy. This drink is very strong but very enjoyable. Clearly a well brewed beer.

I am a big Ommegang fan, so I figured I might as well try the flagship beer of the fairly new parent company.

Served from the fridge, into a standard pint glass (OK, so I was too lazy to retrieve better glassware on the top shelf)

A: Impressive right out of the gate. Golden yellow, tight, white head that hung around for a bit. Nice.

S: Spicy, with a hint of the alcohol beneath the surface.

T: Again, the best description is a pepper/spicy flavor up front, followed by a mellowing, alcohol burn.

M: A bit sharp at first, but not too thin and it has a nice finish.

D: I like this offering, but it does have a bit of a kick. Don't see me drinking these all night, mind you, but very enjoyable after dinner, or by the pool.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 333 ml bottle into a large goblet

Appearance: cloudy golden color, weiss like. Nice carbonation and an icredible meringue like head. I poured it so carefully and my first bottle is more than half head which goes down eventually, but remains throughout the glass. Insane lacing as well.

Smell: I get a slight citrus, maybe pear also.

Taste: Call me crazy, but I almost taste a hint of banana and the pear I smelled. Being 8.5 abv I would never guess. For me the alcohol is almost undetectable.

Mouthfeel: The beer feels wonderful on the palate. It has a medium but very smooth feel. I like the carbonation lasting the whole glass.

Drinkability: I would Definitely have Duvel again.

Comments: Mostly sticking to American pale ales, this was different for me. And I loved every minute of it. I wish I would have tried this beer years ago. I know for most people this is a pretty mainstream beer, but if you haven't tried it or are looking for a change... This one won me over.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured 330ml stubby into belgian tulip glass

Color is nice golden straw with giant fluffy head.

Aroma is very light: Clove, some yeasty hops, bananas.

Taste is great; starts banana bread, moves into some great hoppy bitterness and finishes with a hint of spicy peppermint!

Mouthfeel is dangerously smooth (For 8.5% holy crap!) with crisp carbonation, almost like a nice yeasty prosecco.

I could drink this beer rain or shine.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750 Bottle split between two Duvel tulips with jessethehutt.

Glowing golden with a huge head. Clumpy globs of lacing on the glass like fake snow on a window. Could be mistaken for an adjunct lager once the head dissipates.

Initial smell is candied green apple, followed by yeast and spice.

A little Belgian funky yeast, followed by slight hop bitterness and black pepper. Finishes clean and dry with a little alcohol bitterness.

Highly carbonated and lively on the tongue.

Could drink this beer all day and night until the 8.5% abv puts me out. Off the charts.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
ABV: 8.50 %

From: Bottle, 11oz

A golden god. This beer is sooo good. You cannot believe it's 8.5% ABV because of the color and smooth finish of this beer. A pale ale that has the punch of an imperial IPA. Great beer, will absolutely buy this again.

4.76/5  rDev +11.2%

Oh man. I'm a poor college student and this is an expensive beer. As I journeyed to the specialty beer shop trying to find a pack of these, I pondered at how much food money I'd be slappin' to get this. A few minutes and a decidedly slimmer wallet later, I had the Devil. Would it be worth it?

Just after pouring this cloudy liquid gold into a snifter, I realized...it was.

A--A golden yellow with that foamy white head you get by following the directions on the bottle. Thought it was just the condensation on the glass at first, but actually soft and cloudy.

S--Sweet and fruity, with a savory base, but if I had to pick a "low point" this would be it. Mind you that low point is still fantastic.

T--First sip told the whole story. This is what they serve for breakfast in Shangri-La. Sweet, crunchy, to a lingering fruity (apply?) aftertaste.

M--As it goes into your mouth, clouds of tiny bubbles rush around and leave a creamy, smooth and somehow still light and refreshing tingle. A bit of alcohol fumes just tickle the sinus cavities and remind you that you are communing with Beelzebub.

D--This is scary. I put down two of these heady brews at way too much a pop and was still ready for the other two. It's taking a lot of willpower to save the others for another good night.

All things considered, I'm still relatively new at the beer tasting game. However, I've found my high point. This is what the rest are going to get compared to, and I don't see how its going to be surpassed any time soon.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into Duvel Tulip.

Great yellow, clear, color that produces a thick white head. Head slowly goes down, but it's a beast.

First taste that hit me was the alcohol. Not sure why...so I let this warm to room temp...much better.

Smells a little fruity, yeast and a little sweet overall.

Tastes of citrus and fruit in general. Some yeast and a little tart. Nice and crisp.

Medium mouthful, lots of carbonation.

Worthy of trying again, think I just got started off on the wrong foot with this brew.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV