Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,662 | Hads: 7,251
4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Yes Yes Yes. Duval was a wise choise for me tonight. I love this stuff. I wasn't sure if paying 2.49 for a little 11 oz bottle would be worth it, but I was wrong. It poured out crisp and pale gold. formed a huge champange head that stayed floating till I was almost done. the smell was fruity and floral with a little bread dough. Taste was awsome. Sharp hops and sweet on the tounge. If it didn't taste so good I could easily chug these little guys down one by one.
Awsome beer. going to buy the 4 pack next time. (516 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

I drank this at a "The Belgian Beer Diaspora" beer tasting hosted by the late Michael Jackson at the National Geographic. The tasting involved pairing a number of Belgian beer styles with a Belgian and American interpretation of the style.

These are my tasting notes:

This beer had a huge white head. Champagne mouthfeel, very carbonated tasting. I'm not a huge fan of "champgney" beers. (389 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured into a goblet, it's a beautiful straw gold ale with a rocky foam head that shows no signs of dissipating two minutes after the pour. It's a simply gorgeous sight on a hot day! Tiny bubbles are constantly rising to the surface and contributing to the aroma... speaking of which...

The aroma is a heavenly concoction of pears, apples, and spicy citrus with a touch of grain. Beervana, I say. I really hate to give it two fives out of the gate, but I can't find fault anywhere so far.

The flavor is, again, near flawless. It's a dry beer on the finish, but up front is a load of sweet flavors from the yeast - apples and pears mostly, with a touch of spice perhaps. There's a little grainy malt, but the finish is a quick flurry of noble hops. It's marvelous. 8.5% ABV? You would never know, there isn't a hint of alcohol here.

Mouthfeel may well be the only place that I'll mark this beer down. It's just slightly too prickly for my tastes, though it remains quite creamy and delicious. I would give it a 4, but for the style it's not overcarbonated, so I'll compromise at 4.5.

As far as drinkability, I could quaff this stuff all day. Maybe it's just the heat, but this hits the spot. I simply can't fault it for anything here.

Ok, I don't mean to seem a sucker, but this beer is almost impossible to fault. It's creamy, delicious, and aromatic beyond belief. I'll be having many more bottles of this stuff in the future... (1,437 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

What a kick ass beer. Beautiful creamy head with lots of power. Smooth going down. Careful pouring this creature into your glass. So many people end up with a glass of foam.

Beautiful beer in appearance and flavor. Small bottles are just a tease. Make sure you get the larger bottles with the champagne style cork. (316 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured it into a tulip glass.

This beer formed a wonderful, thick, fully cloud-like head that simply hung around FOREVER with some of the most amazing lacing I've ever seen. Great yellowish gold color with a slight haze but great clarity otherwise.

The nose is very sweet and aromatic, zesty lemon peels and yeast. Very pleasing.

The taste of this beer is also very refreshing. Its got a nice little bite at the beginning, almost like Pilsner Urquell, but sweeter and a bit more yeasty. Nice rounding out at the end with some hops notes.

The mouthfeel is nice, a bit dry with a good amount of carbonation.

This beer is very refreshing and easy on the taste buds. One of the greatest ever produced! (703 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

Hazy pale yellow with a full white head and good carbonation throughout.

Spicy hop aroma (Saaz and Styrian Goldings) with a light fruitiness.

Fruity flavors dominate (orange zest, pears) and alcohol is evident as it warms.

Medium bodied but a very light impression for the strength. Also, very effervescent with a smooth and dry finish. (342 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bottle into my Duvel glass, a very strong golden color with a large white frothy head. The head lasted quite some time and all around the glass. Smells a little fruity, some spice. A good scent, not too strong. Tastes good, better as it gets warmer for sure. A nice fruity taste with the light bite a wine may have, a little malt and spice. Mouthfeel is extremely smooth and easy to drink. Overall, I really enjoy this and would recommend to anyone. It was recommended to me and I love it. Out of a glass, let it sit a bit after being chilled. (552 characters)

I agree with the bros: 5/5. Perhaps the best beer ever made.

Heavy on the alcohol, yet light, yet satisfying. An unlikely contradiction that is so true you have to taste it. Simple ingredients with deep complexity. Epic head. If poured correctly, the last sip of beer will be all foam. And it'll get you buzzed in a hurry. (323 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Pale golden straw color. Huge head that leaves good fluffy lacing. Carbonation and color remind me of champagne.

S: Inviting. Belgian yeast, spicy, bannana and some other fruits i can't identify.

T: Fantastic. Typical belgian taste but so well done. Spicy, tangy and fruity. Bannana and pear with some white grapes on finish. Some spicy hops throughout. Alcohol very well concealed, dry finish.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Clean and dry finish. Again, champagne like.

O: Wonderful belgian strong pale. Great strong flavors with a perfect crisp mouthfeel. You will want to drink glass after glass, a must try. (619 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: Golden in hue, almost sparkling with a strong and persistent fluffy white head. Stong lacing that seems to leave a ring as the level drops sip after sip.

Smell: Rich and yeasty with mild scents of hay and alfalfa. Mildly sweet and refreshing.

Taste: Mellow immediately with tastes of the aforementioned yeast. Moments later hints of pepper and medium hoppy bitterness present themselves. Mild undertones of an undetermined sweet fruit. Perhaps banana?

Mouthfeel: Strong and immediate, the flavors fill the mouth and the strong carbonation makes the front of the tounge tingle.

Drinkability: I find this to be more of a sipper than a slugger, due in fact to the strength of the brew and the delicate nature overall. More of a "treat" beer for me. (769 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +5.1%

This is without question a beer like few others. It would not matter even if you didn't enjoy its taste--though I could hardly imagine such a thing. To simply view it in Duvel glassware is enough to realize you are experiencing something special. The foam is not merely substantial, but astonishing. Pure, snowy, creamy soft white foam that does not quit! It is beautiful to behold. The bottle itself reminds you “to pour unhurriedly.” It doesn't matter, because no matter what you do this thing is going to rise.

How does it taste? Very good. Extremely good. It is hard to describe. There are no overwhelming characteristics outside of the head. It is well carbonated, and pleasantly drinkable. At the same time, it is ever so slightly sweet yet an assertive bitterness just sneaks in and then quickly dissipates. It is strongly reminiscent in appearance and somewhat taste to a filtered hefeweizen. Yet, it's taste is much more assertive, spicy and mildly bitter. It is clean and refreshing, yet more complex and sophisticated and could easily be served with nearly any cuisine. The name Duvel is Flemish and means devil and the devil is certainly in the details of this beer.

This is an excellent beer. Highly potent, but drinkable nevertheless. It will sneak up on you. Enjoy. (1,289 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -4.2%

Aroma: Fruity with a bit of Pils malt in the background. Fruit aromas remind me of peaches and orange. No hops detected. There is a sweet creamy note to the aroma, the overall effect almost reminds me of a orange creamsicle. Fairly subtle alcohol in the background.

Appearance: Extremely clear straw gold. Beautiful billowing head that never fades much. Classic Duvel appearance.

Flavor: Fruity notes and crisp carbonation dominate at first leading into some malty sweetness and a bitter dry finish. Finishes with a bit of warming alcohol but pretty smooth considering it's such a big beer. As in the aroma, the esters are not the same as I remember from past bottles. I'm getting a lot of flavors that remind me more of Maredsous beers, not the Duvel of my memory/imagination.

Mouthfeel: Very highly carbonated and dry. Refreshing when cold. Great.

Overall: I've experienced a fair amount of inconsistency in this beer over the last couple years and this particular one adds to the puzzle. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it but it's not the same or as good as some other bottles I've had. As mentioned above, reminds me very much of Maredsous in it's yeast character and it also seems a bit sweeter than I remember. Still quite enjoyable and a style all it's own. (1,276 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

330 ml bottle w/ a best "before date" of 06-2010.
this ale pours a hazy translucent yellowish gold with a head firm as Cool Whip(tm). The foam took a while to dissipate and left Brussels Lace from top to bottom well after I was completely finished. The smell offered a myriad of fruits and mellow peppercorns w/ a presence of the 8.5% ABV. The taste was smooth and clean and reminded me of white gum balls. Has some characteristics of a witbier less the telltale suspensions and allows the alcohol to surface again in the aftertaste.
I would certainly drink more than one of these but it wouldn't take many to sense inebriation rapidly approaching. This is a very good Belgian pale. (683 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured the beer from a large pint bottle into a glass. Duvel has a somewhat hazy amber color with a thick snow white head that hangs on forever. Maybe it is because I am inexperienced but I cannot put my finger on the aromas coming off the beer, it definitely is not unpleasant. Wow! this beer tastes great and is well balanced but complex, not to grainy and not to hoppy, with a touch of carbonation. Also, the finish is very smooth, no hoppy or alcohol aftertaste just very very clean. This is the best beer I have ever tasted!! Drinkability is high but this is a beer you do not throw down like you would a Bud Light, but drink slowly and enjoy. Definitely a world class beer! Also, checkout the cool Duvel website. (718 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

Though 'Belgian-challenged' on availability in our area, it's great to savor a brew that lives up to it's acclaim. Poured a beautiful cloudy subtle golden with an awesome white, creamy head that didn't diminish. Just an excellent flavor. A well balanced blend of malts and flavors. Exceptional mouthfeel and drinkability, with a super clean finish. I shared the four-pack with my wife and enjoyed watching her response to a relative quality brew. A newfound favorite for both of us. (482 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

Bottle directly into a Duvel tulip.

A: Blonde straw appearance with huge foamy head.

S: Slight fruit and bread aroma.

T: Nice light well balanced flavor.

M: Medium body with lots of carbonation.

D: Extremely drinkable...with warning that you don't feel the ABV until much too late! (287 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -1.9%

When somebody describes a beer in anything...this is the one I will think of.

Consumed with a stemmed pint glass.

Appearance - Perfect light color with a think almost chewable yeasty head.

Smell - Powerful yeast hoppy smell.

Taste - A true beer taste - hoppy, yeasty, wheat - all crisp - all good.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and fizzy.

Drinkability - Beer as it should be defined in the dictionary. It's light color, heavy head, great yeasty/hoppy crisp taste are all the combination as beer is seen or imagined in any literature. (527 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours crystal clear golden yellow. Nice foamy head that did its job and stuck around until the end. Surprised at how transparent it was considering its bottle conditioned.

Smells of yeasty spiciness and a bit of sweetness. Wasn't picking up much of anything interesting or out of the ordinary really. Slight hop aroma in there as well.

Taste and mouthfeel were almost akin to champagne at times, sweet and on the drier side of things. Highly carbonated with lots of bubbles that bombarded the tongue adding some acidity, but not in a bad way. Move over High-Life.

Very balanced. There's a slight warm alcohol splash somewhere in the middle of each sip, but its kicked off the palate quickly with some hop bitterness and more of that yeasty spiciness. Almost too drinkable for a beer of this ABV. (799 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +1.6%

Served in a wine goblet, reminiscent of the duvel tulip glass, but bigger. Consumed on September 10, 2012 with a "drink by" date of April 30th, 2014. Gorgeous presentation, truly a clear golden beer, living up to their claim of looking like a rich pilsner.

Smell: green apples and pepper yeast.

Taste: crisp big smack of zesty citrus at the start--this beer hits you big--with a thick, bitter honey in the middle, and then a lingering sour tangerine rind at the end. Lots of layers, yet still clean and crisp. Only hint of its actual 8.5 ABV is in the "tangerine honey" middle.

Mouthfeel: literally like champagne. I'm honestly a little thrown off here...this beer really feels like high quality champagne...the assault of tiny bubbles on the tongue and mouth are strong...they really sizzle on the tongue. Mouthfeel is a much bigger part of this beer than most others...the best word I can come up with is "zesty".

Overall: This is a wonderful enigma of a beer...bold, crisp, and refreshing at the front end, yet layered in complexity with plenty of alcohol for anyone. Fantastic beer...stands at the front of the line in its class. (1,137 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +2.8%

This is my first review, so take it as you will!

Dumped this into a poor man's 20oz. Guinness Imperial tumbler. Really need to get sufficient glassware for my new hobby.

Appearance: Poured carefully (as the bottle advertises) and still watched it launch to the top of my glass like a mad scientist's explosive experiment. Half an hour later a quarter-inch of the head is still there, giving me a mustache with every sip. I've only tried about a hundred beers, and this is a beautiful as it gets.

Smell: Takes a couple of whiffs, but I pick up nudges of pine and lemon. Reminds me of the rampant summer shandies that are infesting the local bars about this time of year.

Taste: Head has honey that quickly transitions to an enjoyably bitter aftertaste. Drinking brings a deep fruity feel at the kickoff with a malty answer at halftime. Expected it to finish bitter like the head (especially after warming up in the glass) but I get instead a pleasant, balanced lingering taste instead. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Thick and fizzy, but not soda-fountain fizzy. I still feel it like a lip-balm.

Drinkability: I'd drink these all day if it had a lower alcohol content. Delicious, but not perfect - by the end of a 750 you will get used to the amazing flavor this beer has. (1,274 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -47.8%

Well I was really looking forward to trying this beer after all the great reviews....I can say my taste is for sure different that a lot of folks on this site.

First appearance is pretty good with that awesome head that just keeps coming, but the color just seems to be too light and clear, something else is going on here.

Smell, is this an old adjunct of some kind or what?

Taste, is thin, but seems to hide the high abv very well, but again it tastes like an American adjunct to me.

Drink, one is enough, I have 3 more to go and I will finish them somehow, maybe I will become enlightened as to why this beer is supposed to be so great... (645 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

A ~ This beer pours a very nice golden color, POUR THIS BEER SLOW!!! The head on this beer is ridiculous, on a moderate pour I got a 16 oz glass over half full of the white foam. Once it sits it shrinks down to a one or two inch head that looks lightly like whipped cream.

S ~ Smells very fruity and citrusy, definitely some wheat and yeast in there.

T ~ Some apple... maybe pear, some hop bitterness lasts for a little while after each sip. Very good flavor.

M ~ Very carbonated, especially when first served and chilled, less noticeable once the beer warms a little.

Overall a good beer, definitely happy with the purchase... wish they gave you a full 12 oz instead of 11.2, but its not the end of the world. Will buy again. (730 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Duvel pours a beautiful hazy yellow with almost 3 fingers of fluffy white head. Smells of apples, bananas, and whole wheat bread. The taste is smooth and dry, with hints of fruit, spice and cracker. Very little hop bitterness..if any. Just a fantastic mouthfeel, it's like what a good champagne wished it could be. Light bodied, highly carbonated, very light sweetness, dry.

I had never tried this beer before and although it's not my usual hop-bomb type of brew, I decided to delve in with a 4 pack anyway. The first bottle I thought was just OK...By the last of the 4 pack I begrudgingly came to this realization...this is one of th finest easy drinking, alcohol hiding, delicious beers I have ever had. It will now be a staple in my fridge, and would most likely choose this beer over the many IPA's I drink on a regular basis. Advice...drink this bad boy nice and cold. (874 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a Pint Glass. I'll get a Duvel Glass soon.

Appearance:
Pouring this beer for the first time was amazing. The whole glass turned into a thick head. And I when say thick I mean like cool whip thick. It looked wonderful and gave me an immediate appetite. The head was long lasting, slow to fade, and laced the glass perfectly.
The lace was about 1/8" over the beer through out my entire sample. It did not fade, break up or go away. I covered my beer and the edges of the glass was something to admire.

The beer had a rich gold color with the color deepening as it neared the center. My notes say, "Translucent beauty."
A light carbonation bubbled through the entire beer and just made it look like what I imagine a beer is suppose to look like. For that reason I gave it a 5. Even in the wrong glass it was picture perfect.

Smell:
Fruity, maybe banana. My notes are sparse here. I have written, "Didn't smell bad, didn't smell great. Smell is subtle and light." I think that's why I have it a lower rating. I just couldn't smell much.

Taste:
Sharp! Bitter! Spicy! Yum! That's what I wrote and thats what I like. A crisp light burn follows from the carbonation which gives it a great aftertaste. I did not taste any sort of alchohol after taste. The flavors of this beer float in your mouth long after you drank it and it's a very pleasant feel in deed.

Mouthfeel:
I want to point out that this beer got better as I let it warm. That is, it started great and finished better. With that in mind, it was smooth through and through.

Drinkability:
I was going to give this a 4 for drinkiablity. It was a great beer that I could probably drink at anytime, but I didn't want to over rate. Then my girlfriend came along and she doesn't drink beer at all because it tastes "like beer". Maybe it was the note book, or maybe it was my crazed look, but she picked it up and said "Let me try a good beer." She tried it and said, "This is fantastic." This is the first beer my GF LIKES. That merits .5 doesn't it? So drinkability is a 4.5

Price: Reasonably priced the quality of beer. Buy yourself the four pack with the Duvel glass so you can drink this right. If you still not convinced accept the next one offered, you won't regret it. (2,262 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%

An 11.2 oz. bottle poured into a snifter at a very unhurried pace (a must!).

A - A medium golden color that blends very well with the thick, foamy, epic head. It is very carbonated, and something about the rush of bubbles makes me love this beer even more. Quite hazy as well.

S - If I can place this scent, which I'm not 100% confident in doing, it would be that of Lychees, more than likely from the yeast. It smells remarkably like a certain Alsace wine "Gewurztraminer" (try it, you'll like it). There's also a cracked wheat smell worked in there.

T&M - It tastes considerably lighter than its heavy apperance, and when worked around the mouth becomes a medium heaviness and develops a slightly chewy texture. As it's swashed around, it moves from tart to smooth, depending on the position in the mouth and this makes an enjoyable oral expierience. As tart as it gets, it is never overpowering, and always balanced but at the forefront. It never assults the palette as the slight fruity texture mellows it out. On the back, you never taste the alcohol going down, and for an 8.5% beer: marvelous. It seems to have just the right amount of carbonation to finish it off smoothly.

D - I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. It's accessible, interesting to the palette, and a perfect after dinner drink. I haven't found anything that would go well with this meal-wise (though I know nothing of Belgian food) as it always seems to steal the show, but working it in as a meal finisher is a must.
This beer, however, commands respect--for a number of reasons. First and foremost is the price, 10.99 for four 11.2 oz bottles. I try to keep a four pack in the house, but at the rate they keep disapearing I might reserve it just for special occasions. Second, it's not a beer that you can drink a few at a time. It's layers command you to savor it and to drink one takes a bit. Well worth it though. Finally, it's 8.5% alcohol, and packs more of a punch than you'd think.

Final verdict - Well, let me start by saying I have a fairly heavy moustache (pssh to those who trim!) and there has not been one time drinking this beer that I've not sucked the stray beer out of it. I enjoy and respect this beer, and it's finally nice to find something truly good in a local grocery store (hannafords). Bottom line? buy this beer. (2,329 characters)

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV