Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,686 | Hads: 7,373
4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

330 ml (11.2 oz)bottle drank from Tulip shaped Duvel Glass at around 50 degrees F.

A - When I opened the bottle immediately began burst with energy. Poured mildly cloudy, light amber color but clear after settling. This beer is very carbonated and pour perfectly into the glass with 2" white foamy head. Head lasted about five minutes remained throughout leaving rings, very dense and frothy.

S - Smells like perfection. Smells almost fruity with a hint of grainy punch. The aroma is complex but simply extraordinary. The aroma creates yearnig for what is to come.

T - Complimentary taste preluded by its smell. Light but strong at the same time. Hidden complexities in this brew. One of the best in creating warming feeling throughout. Slightly lingering aftertaste makes you yearn for more.

M - Velvety and smooth complex feel for such a light looking beer. Head creates feeling of carbonation but smooth from lips to the belly.

D - Excellent all around beer. Fulfilling in every way. One of those beers that you can enjoy anytime.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Absolutely beautiful beer. Hazy, golden yellow with a classic dense thick white head. A full inch and a quarter over the rim of the glass without any spill. Duvel has a very pronounced, fruity aroma, lemons and pears. The first bottle I had, I did not realize that there was some yeast in the bottle (although I love the yeast). The beer is very refreshing, and very fruity. Somewhat dry finish, very pleasant.

4.46/5  rDev +4.2%

Embarrassingly enough I've had a Duvel tulip for a while and never tried the brew it was intended for, and when I tasted it it was totally different than any conception I've had since I had the glass. Went to the beer/liquor store in TN (weird separated law) and got the big bottle.

I popped the cork and the head came out slightly and made a small mess. The brew was exited to get out for sure. On the pour it had a massive head even with a gentle pour. Thats one impressive head I must say.

The smell was good, citrus, banana.. and a slight hint of the ABV but not too bad.

The taste was good as well, just light, and a little like the smell with the citrus, and banana. I didn't detect much of the alcohol content, and was totally expecting to. Was surprised for sure. I think this could be a dangerous brew ;0)

Loved drinking it.. and will definatley not go as long again without it.

Heh, if it wasn't for the glass i probably would not have tried it..

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is so big and so good and so fizzy, effervescent, balanced and malty and clear and spot on...

I'm going to sound like an arse when I tell this story... This was the first Belgian beer I ever had. It was 1996, I was broke, working in production and living in the 'hood of Venice Beach, CA. My buddies and I used to frequent a fancy schmancy restaurant right off of Abbot Kinney called Hal's. Clearly my buddies and I could not afford to eat or drink at Hal's, but the rich cougars could and they bought us young guys beers if we would talk to them. We were young, of course we wanted free Belgian 8.5% beer from cougars.

Yes, I'm an ass.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into a generic tulip. Appears a deep gold with a huge, frothy head. This head just doesn't quit! Leaves a decent amount of lacing as it slowly dissipates. Smells of citrus, pepper, and a bit of dough. Taste is a amped up version of the smell, with the peppery citrus filling the bill, and the bready taste following on the finish. Mouthfeel is wonderful. Not too thick, just luxurious. Way too drinkable. Glad I don't have more, or work would be difficult tomorrow!

I agree with the bros: 5/5. Perhaps the best beer ever made.

Heavy on the alcohol, yet light, yet satisfying. An unlikely contradiction that is so true you have to taste it. Simple ingredients with deep complexity. Epic head. If poured correctly, the last sip of beer will be all foam. And it'll get you buzzed in a hurry.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

330ml bottle poured very slowly "unhurried", into a tulip. Best by date of 09 2013.

A: The head is the stuff of legend. Massive 3 finger white, creamy, though lumpy head. Slowly dissipates into about 1/2 finger, and never goes less than that. Easy to bring back some also, with a slow swirl of the glass. The color of the beer is a beautiful golden, dull lemon color. Slightly hazy, about perfect. Awesome lacing down the sides.

S: Everything seems very present. Yeast is strongest, but I also smell a lot of citrus, mostly lemon. Biscuit last. There is a lot going on, it is very complex. Slightly sweet too.

T: This is my first time trying this, after reading about it on this site. I am absolutely amazed, one of the best tasting beers I have ever had. Citrus comes through pretty strong. More than just lemon, some grapefruit and others. A hit (not a mistype) of alcohol in the middle, with biscuit and yeast. Very nice indeed. Still more going on at the finish, I must say, this is amazing. I get toasted malts, light hops, and more...it all blends very well.

M: Good amount of carbonation, dances on the tongue. Solid medium bodied. The aftertaste, I think, is helped with the light coating this beer leaves on the the tongue. The taste just lingers, and it is quite enjoyable.

O: Absolutely wonderful. This beer became even better after it warmed up a touch. I don't believe it has taken me this long to try Duvel, but I am really glad I did. So complex, yet extremely drinkable. Great tingle in the mouth, with a wonderful taste. Truly a great beer.

3.32/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance: Light goldenrod color. Beer has a large, white foamy head, very high in protein.

Aroma & Taste: Sharp smell and taste to it, acidic. Beer has an average length of finish and contains slight grapefruit and herbal notes. Also has a slight spice to it along with some bitter hops.

2.79/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The color of this beer is a cloudy medium yellow. The aroma you get is a herb and spice smell and is kind of strong. Tasting this beer it is spicy and the finish of this beer is quite dry.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer is gold in color, and has lots of foam when poured. It has a light spring smell to it, with hints of lemon and grass scents. It has a spice and fruity taste, its a good combination.

4.88/5  rDev +14%

They don't make 'em much better than this.
Packs a punch too.
This ain't no ..."sit at the bar and down a 6 pack while watching a football game "... beer.
Is a beer to be savored.
Looks fantastic when poured correctly in a Duvel glass.
Have yet to see it on tap...
So...I wont call it the best beer ever ...but even in a bottle...it's in my top 3 I've ever had...

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Belgian is my favorite nationality of beer and this was definetely one I can put high in the rankings. As soon as it comes out of the bottle you know you have something special. A massive, everlasting, frothy head looms up over the sparkling, hazy yellow beer and leaves behind very heavy lacing on the glass.

The aroma is very malty with a pleasant smell of hay. The yeast aroma is the most dominant though with notes of leather and sweat (doesn't sound to appetizing but in this case it's great!).

An tongue pleasing sweetness caries from beginning to end and complinments the excellent mouthfeel. A nice fizziness with a hint of astringency show up here.

Overall, you must try this beer no matter what your preference. It truly is an excellent beer.

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

The beer pours excellently into a tulip glass forming one of the thickest, non-nitro heads I've ever seen. The lacing lasts for the entire drinking experience. The liquid just slightly cloudy with dozens of minature bubbles running up in columns of greatness. Duvel smells like a light crispy beer with hints of orange and sweet malts. It tastes fresh and balanced, but no single ingredient stands out. The 8.5% alcohol content is hidden in the flavor, making it dangerous or awesome depending on the circumstances In my mouth the beer is crisp and light with slightly heavy carbonation, but this does not ruin the drinking experience making for a great beer anytime, anyplace.

The Public House in Boston hands out stickers that say "Why not Duvel?" and I second that thought.

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%

Once again desperate for a respite from the local swill, I purchased a couple bottles at a French supermarket in the Chinese city of Hangzhou. Belgian Pale Ales have since become one of my favorite styles.

Appearance – Pours a hazy yellowish-orange. The head is massive and frothy. I had to wait several minutes for head reduction and even then with substantial lacing.

Smell – Lemon scents, yeast, perhaps a bit of grass. Pleasant overall but not overtly noticeable.

Taste – An excellent ale. You are hit at once by strong hints of spice and citrus that reappear more subtly as you progress. Some hop bitterness is noticeable but I really couldn't taste the alcohol until I had nearly finished the second bottle.

Drinkability –Perhaps a bit too drinkable for an ABV of 8.5%. The alcohol is masked well, need to be careful.

Duvel is outstanding. Great flavor, smoothness, and balance. I place it in my top 5

[ serving type: bottle ]

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip glass - Large head that slowly disaptes and reveals how little beer was in the bottle. Malty aroma with hints of citrus and lagery hops. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light but not at all watery. Smooth flavor consisting of malt, fruity sweetness. Fairly good beer but I think Chimay does this type of ale better.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

This is a really nice beer. It is actually one of my personal favorites. It pours a medium goldish color and starts off with a two finger head which very slowly goes down.

The smell is great; citrus (especially orange), hoppy. Very nice.

The taste has a fairly strong hop flavor to it; to me the bitterness of it is very minimal and there is a nice balance of carbonation. It has a strong citrus taste to me. It is almost like a really nice champagne.

Overall I would give this a 4.5 out 5. It is really complex and big tasting. You have to give it a couple of sips to really get a lot of the complexity out of it.

I would recommend it to anyone.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Slightly hazy, light gold. Famous Duvel head, tons of lace, thick to the end.

S - Delicate aroma, apple skin. Clean sweet malt.

T - More apple coming through in the taste. Some nice malt sweetness. Juicy in the middle with some alcohol warmth.

M - Medium carbonation. Medium body, and super creamy. Finishes with some spice.

D - Goes down easy, but at 8.5% it comes on quick. I usually limit myself to one of these.

I enjoy the fruit notes and clean malt, love the creamy mouthfeel.

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%

A Duvel poured properly into a large goblet looks absolutely amazing - Clean, bright goldenrod color swirled with smokey looking yeast, with a thick white layer of foam made up of large champagne size bubbles and fine spongy head. There is a crisp, wet bite with fruit, strawberry and light coppery bitterness. A little pricey but very worth the cost.

This is my favorite beer in the whole world! From the minute you open it you know it is different - huge carbonation (if you are not careful it will explode when you open it). You then have to carefully pour it into a glass or it will overhead and spill out the top. You then look at it and it will be a golden color bubbling up much like champagne.

Then the real fun comes with the taste. It is a perfect tasting beer with a bit of citrus flavor and goes down so smooth. Just remember with the large head you will get a beer mustache!

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%

I have never previously had the privilege of enjoying this infamous beer. When I saw a 4-pack gift set with the bulbous stemmed Duvel glass, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to take some home for a review.
Served at around 52-54 degrees F into the Duvel glass listening to Devendra Banhart's "Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon".
Cloudy, in some lights it shown a light gold, but mainly radiated a very very light yellow (almost off-white). Do I even need to describe the head? I mean, this pure white extremely pillowy behemoth towered several inches in length right up to the top of my glass, and was continuously fed by a stream of bubbles coming from an embossed "D" from the center of the bottom of the glass. I recommend even just chewing on a good wad of the foam for a tasty experience. The lacing was consistent, and there was still dried-up blocks of foam at the top of my glass when I finished the beer.
The mellow smell was that of very rich, almost roasted, malt. But I also noticed little bit of wheat alongside it in there.
It took me a good few minutes to specifically sort out the flavor going on here. But I decided:
It tastes mildly of sweet malt and also of soft, flowery hops right away off the bit. As the sip concludes, the malt gets a little richer, but mainly those hops come out to play and also get bit more bitter. There is a nod of wheat throughout the sip as well and is left on it's own for a brief after-taste. On more acute level, the whole of the sip gets just a little bit pleasantly sour as it goes on. Finally, an alcohol taste finishes the story, but really only amounts to just a tiny warming... at most, it kicks up a slight pinch in the back of your throat, but that is my only real discrepancy... quite awesome really, considering the 8.5% ABV and all. It's also quite amazing how none of said flavors really overpower any of the others, and everything is true to a pale style of beer by being very mellow.
Light, borderline medium, bodied... it starts off in the mouth very crisp like a refreshing pilsner. As your sip continues, it gets a bit chewy (this may be the first beer I have had where I can adequately pick out that adjective), especially if you get a sip with a bunch of that magnificent foam. It's pretty modestly carbonated as well, which says a lot considering that epic devil of a head that a bottle summoned. Also true to the style, there is nothing really harsh going on in the mouthfeel either, as this beer is only slightly sticky, yet hardly dry in any places at all.
This beer is drinkable is fuck. My only concern is how well some of the subtle perfections might be coaxed, should this beer be poured into the "improper" glassware".
Overall, this beer really is not over-rated.

2.68/5  rDev -37.4%

appearance: super foamy head, pale straw, golden shine in light, slight haze, chunky lacing

smell: very clean, almost metallic, faint aroma of hot dogs, slight sour

taste: a bit metallic, im still getting a little bit of hot dog/bologna from somewhere, leaves an alcoholic linger, sweet that turns sour quick

mouthfeel: turns creamy, finish is a bit sharp, slight alcohol burn, highly carbed belgian

overall: not super impressed, usually a fan of belgians, this is a bit less complex than i wanted, strong alcohol/metal taste without much hop or malt character

4.16/5  rDev -2.8%

Great Belgian ale. Lovely strong citrus, pear and lemon flavour packs a punch. Light golden to the eye with a lovely fluffy cloud like head. Great with battered fish, light pasta dish or a rare steak

3.71/5  rDev -13.3%

Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip glass this beers appearance is highly impressive.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a super frothy white head that lingers for the duration.

The aroma screams spices. Not much fruity aroma detected at all.

The flavors are malty and citrusy. Honey, lemon, and a hint of pepper that warms the beer well with each drink.

The mouthfeel is robust and definitely not shy with a lingering spicy taste.

A very strong beer not intended for session drinking but a good choice for a belgian ale nonetheless.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Yes Yes Yes. Duval was a wise choise for me tonight. I love this stuff. I wasn't sure if paying 2.49 for a little 11 oz bottle would be worth it, but I was wrong. It poured out crisp and pale gold. formed a huge champange head that stayed floating till I was almost done. the smell was fruity and floral with a little bread dough. Taste was awsome. Sharp hops and sweet on the tounge. If it didn't taste so good I could easily chug these little guys down one by one.
Awsome beer. going to buy the 4 pack next time.

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

I drank this at a "The Belgian Beer Diaspora" beer tasting hosted by the late Michael Jackson at the National Geographic. The tasting involved pairing a number of Belgian beer styles with a Belgian and American interpretation of the style.

These are my tasting notes:

This beer had a huge white head. Champagne mouthfeel, very carbonated tasting. I'm not a huge fan of "champgney" beers.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV