Duvel | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Reviews: 2,745 | Ratings: 7,633
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Nice thin head with a golden body.

Aroma is a bit musty with a hint of lime.

The carbination combined with the twang of the alcohol scream champange but the secondary flavors say otherwise. The alcohol is subtle with an applesauce hint which is masked by a wheaty bitterness and wonderful amount of alcohol. A unique balanced beer that I would love to discover in the back of my fridge.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Served in tulip glass.

Pours a cloudy, pale gold. Very noticeable carbonation. Snow-white head with ridiculous stickiness and outrageous retention. It isn't going anywhere.

Aromas of green apples, flambéed bananas, spices and yeast are prominent.

Very crisp pale malt flavor balanced superbly with a mild bitterness and a very pleasant carbonation. Alcohol is very elusive. Finishes quite dry with notes of clove and fruits.

Mouthfeel is just fantastic. Very clean and very smooth, with a medium-yet-lively body.

Drinkability is off the charts for me. Almost too delicious. But not quite.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - Very light gold

Smell - Lot's of aroma - yeast and malts

Taste - Extremely light, yet complex with a lingering flavor

Mouth Feel - Crisp and smooth

Drinkability - Lot's of aroma hits the nose with champagne-like carbonation, then crisp and light like a Pilsner yet complex like an ale with lingering flavors and a dry rather than sweet finish. So, there are a lot of things going on when you sip on this beer - Amazing!

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Long been my favorite beer. High ABV but not overwhelming. Soft mouthfeel due to fine carbonation. Nice, consistent taste, not overstated. Dangerous because it is one of the few high ABV Belgians you can drink multiplies of without getting tired of it.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Probably one of the best beers in the world, this foamy, golden Belgian Ale is meticulously crafted and not allowed to leave the brewery until ready. The distinctive large white head and the mouth-watering smell of spices on the nose rewards the drinker with a burst of spice on the tongue that one will never forget. Again, the drinkability does not belie the fact that it is a high gravity brew, so be prepared to savor the experience responsibly.

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

A pint for $8.95 was purchased for me in Massachusetts on my birthday (a little pricey if you ask me). Nice looking offering, corked, with and an interesting write up about the brewery and how to serve the beverage was printed on the bottle.
Poured into a glass it was yellow with noticable hazeyness. Poured like it was champaigne, with tons of bubles and a rediculously thick white head that stayed on the glass and looked like a solid substance when I was done. I could tell this was going to be a good beer.
The smell was fruity/citrus with alcohol. MINOR hints of hops broke through at times.
Taste was very complex with alcohol taking over at the end. Almost too complex of a taste to describe. Very pleasing however.
Tingley mouthfeel that smooths out and goes down easy. This drink is very strong but very enjoyable. Clearly a well brewed beer.

I am a big Ommegang fan, so I figured I might as well try the flagship beer of the fairly new parent company.

Served from the fridge, into a standard pint glass (OK, so I was too lazy to retrieve better glassware on the top shelf)

A: Impressive right out of the gate. Golden yellow, tight, white head that hung around for a bit. Nice.

S: Spicy, with a hint of the alcohol beneath the surface.

T: Again, the best description is a pepper/spicy flavor up front, followed by a mellowing, alcohol burn.

M: A bit sharp at first, but not too thin and it has a nice finish.

D: I like this offering, but it does have a bit of a kick. Don't see me drinking these all night, mind you, but very enjoyable after dinner, or by the pool.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 333 ml bottle into a large goblet

Appearance: cloudy golden color, weiss like. Nice carbonation and an icredible meringue like head. I poured it so carefully and my first bottle is more than half head which goes down eventually, but remains throughout the glass. Insane lacing as well.

Smell: I get a slight citrus, maybe pear also.

Taste: Call me crazy, but I almost taste a hint of banana and the pear I smelled. Being 8.5 abv I would never guess. For me the alcohol is almost undetectable.

Mouthfeel: The beer feels wonderful on the palate. It has a medium but very smooth feel. I like the carbonation lasting the whole glass.

Drinkability: I would Definitely have Duvel again.

Comments: Mostly sticking to American pale ales, this was different for me. And I loved every minute of it. I wish I would have tried this beer years ago. I know for most people this is a pretty mainstream beer, but if you haven't tried it or are looking for a change... This one won me over.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured 330ml stubby into belgian tulip glass

Color is nice golden straw with giant fluffy head.

Aroma is very light: Clove, some yeasty hops, bananas.

Taste is great; starts banana bread, moves into some great hoppy bitterness and finishes with a hint of spicy peppermint!

Mouthfeel is dangerously smooth (For 8.5% holy crap!) with crisp carbonation, almost like a nice yeasty prosecco.

I could drink this beer rain or shine.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750 Bottle split between two Duvel tulips with jessethehutt.

Glowing golden with a huge head. Clumpy globs of lacing on the glass like fake snow on a window. Could be mistaken for an adjunct lager once the head dissipates.

Initial smell is candied green apple, followed by yeast and spice.

A little Belgian funky yeast, followed by slight hop bitterness and black pepper. Finishes clean and dry with a little alcohol bitterness.

Highly carbonated and lively on the tongue.

Could drink this beer all day and night until the 8.5% abv puts me out. Off the charts.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
ABV: 8.50 %

From: Bottle, 11oz

A golden god. This beer is sooo good. You cannot believe it's 8.5% ABV because of the color and smooth finish of this beer. A pale ale that has the punch of an imperial IPA. Great beer, will absolutely buy this again.

4.76/5  rDev +11.2%

Oh man. I'm a poor college student and this is an expensive beer. As I journeyed to the specialty beer shop trying to find a pack of these, I pondered at how much food money I'd be slappin' to get this. A few minutes and a decidedly slimmer wallet later, I had the Devil. Would it be worth it?

Just after pouring this cloudy liquid gold into a snifter, I realized...it was.

A--A golden yellow with that foamy white head you get by following the directions on the bottle. Thought it was just the condensation on the glass at first, but actually soft and cloudy.

S--Sweet and fruity, with a savory base, but if I had to pick a "low point" this would be it. Mind you that low point is still fantastic.

T--First sip told the whole story. This is what they serve for breakfast in Shangri-La. Sweet, crunchy, to a lingering fruity (apply?) aftertaste.

M--As it goes into your mouth, clouds of tiny bubbles rush around and leave a creamy, smooth and somehow still light and refreshing tingle. A bit of alcohol fumes just tickle the sinus cavities and remind you that you are communing with Beelzebub.

D--This is scary. I put down two of these heady brews at way too much a pop and was still ready for the other two. It's taking a lot of willpower to save the others for another good night.

All things considered, I'm still relatively new at the beer tasting game. However, I've found my high point. This is what the rest are going to get compared to, and I don't see how its going to be surpassed any time soon.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into Duvel Tulip.

Great yellow, clear, color that produces a thick white head. Head slowly goes down, but it's a beast.

First taste that hit me was the alcohol. Not sure why...so I let this warm to room temp...much better.

Smells a little fruity, yeast and a little sweet overall.

Tastes of citrus and fruit in general. Some yeast and a little tart. Nice and crisp.

Medium mouthful, lots of carbonation.

Worthy of trying again, think I just got started off on the wrong foot with this brew.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

L - Pours a pale yellow, with a large fluffy head that had great retention. Took me a while to pour this one.

S - I found it to have a very sweet smell, Sugar and honey where prominent with crisp fruitiness to it.

T - A mixture of wheat and fruits where at the forefront of the taste with a sharp hops finish and I picked up a hint of liquorish.

M&D - A very good sipping beer, but after one sip you will want another one straight after. Surprisingly refreshing for its percentage.

Overall a good beer that it always a joy to have.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Duvel is a top of the line beer to anyone with nose and palate. When you dive you nose into the generous amount of head you can smell a wonderul world of cloves and banana. In my opinion what makes duvel world class, is the beautiful balance of the two all across your palate from beginning to finnish.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Top notch, world class beer; as close to perfection as you can get. Light, fresh, with ample carbonation and a pleasant taste. The 8.5% ABV is undetectable.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into Tulip glass. Golden color with 2 finger head that shrank to 1/2 finger but stuck around.

As others noted, high alcohol content was well hidden, and I didn't realize it was so high until I had halfway finished glass and was starting to feel really nice and mellow.

I'm not one for describing the different tastes, other than to say this beer reminds me somewhat of Fin Du Monde, which I love.

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%

I am sure glad I finally got around to trying this one. This is my definite favorite in its style.

The beer rushes to life as you unleash it from the bottle. Once slowly poured, it shows a thick dense head with a golden orange colored body.

The nose is very fruity. Most prevalent to my sniffer was an aroma of lemon,banana and spice.

The fruit comes alive on your tongue with agressive hops and carbonation. Very velvety on the tongue. Excellent finish. I enjoyed this one with a sharp cheddar and it was a nice combination. I can't wait to try this one on tap. Truly a special ale.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Serving type: 750ml bottle corked and caged. Served in tulip glass.

Appearance: slightly hazy golden yellow. Huge fluffy billowing head with soapy sticky lacing.

Smell: Spice, ground pepper. Fruity, yeasty, sweet, sweet malt aromas.

Taste: Sweet and fruity up front. Wham! sweet and fruity turns to bold and phenolic, which fades into spicy hops and alcohol. The alchol is present, yet pleasant and very much wanted.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth. Streaming effervescent carbonation is crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability/Overall: So light and crisp that you forget about the high ABV. Easy to drink and a pleasure to enjoy! A devil of a treat!

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Clear golden color w/ ~3 fingers of light head that sticks around and adheres well to the glass. Bubbles continue to rise along the side throughout the session. Word of caution...pour slowly. When I had this at a restaurant in Cooperstown, NY, the waitress was a bit rushed in the pour as wasted several ounces...it was tragic.
S: Very nice hop aromas, slightly sweet. A nice "prequel" of the taste to come.
T: This is what pale beer should taste like...nectar of the gods. Perfect blend of hops, barley, malt & yeast. The bottle conditioning gives a slight boost to the flavor.
M: High carbonation gives a moderate tingling; good aftertaste and an enjoyable experience.
D: Very drinkable and always enjoyable. I first had this many years ago in Switzerland, then again 2 years ago in Cooperstown. It has only been in the last year that I've been able to find it here in Omaha. But since my first tasting, I have thoroughly enjoyed this beer and look forward to each and every bottle.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Lovely golden pour with an enormous creamy white head. Head retention would have been better if the bar had the proper glass, but still impressive. Lot's of lacing.
S: Apple notes with hop overtones.
T: Lovely, balanced combination of bitter and mild sweetness.
M: Very good, but a little thin at the end.
D: A very drinkable beer. Goes down a bit too easily considering the alcohol content.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Just starting to try Belgians.

A = Bright straw color. Well carbonated. Towering fluffy white head.

S = Yeast. Faint alcohol & hops.

T = Smooth and crisp. Mild hops, fruit. Yeasty.

M&D =Very light for the high ABV. I drink mostly heavy American beers so it's a treat to find something strong with such a light feel just in time for spring.

This beer is so well balanced I can see why it's a standard. Time to get a sixer and branch out.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Catching up on some notes from the last couple weeks...

A - Pours a light golden color, with a slight, but retaining white head. Very nicce lacing. Cloudy. Carbonation is obvious.

S - Maybe a strange way to describe it, but it smells very clean. Not soapy, but clean. A little fruity, maybe apricot.

T - Sweet, not pungent. Some awesome flavors...Belgian goodness. Still a bit of fruit, not sure if it's apricot. Strangely enough, I'm picking up a bit of cucumber. Very pleasing.

M - Highly carbonated. Very interesting. Crisp.

O - What a really good beer. Very flavorful, very drinkable. Really enjoyed it.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

I let the bottle sit for 15-20 minutes out of the fridge before opening.

A: Pale yellow, slightly hazy with a huge white fluffy head that doesn't quit. Beautiful lacing. looks more like a fine Pilsner.

S: Gives a light yeasty fragrance like sour bread, sweet with apples and perhaps oranges. Faint spices too along with musty hoppiness.

T: Mildly sweet with a hint of bitterness. Apples and oranges with a slight sour hoppy taste that lingers in your mouth after the dry finish.

M: A fresh, clean crisp carbonation. Creamy and light to medium bodied mouthfeel. the alchohol at 8.1% is perceptible.

D: Seems too drinkable given the high ABV. Certainly an exceptionally quaffable brew - one of my all-time favorite beers.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

Incredible beer. Very hoppy and beautiful. The rich head has to be tamed and must use precaution when poured. I received mine in a gift box with a tulip glass. Smells fruity and delicious. Well done, also the alcohol content is not present by its beautiful texture, not thin yet not thick.

Enjoy!