Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,699 | Hads: 7,436
3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

The apperance was a cloudy gold, a huge head came forth and was there even at the end,more bubbles than a warm champagne cereal hoppy aroma, very hoppy appleish taste, didn't seem as good as I remember although it might have been to cold, because it did seem to get better at the end.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

One of my favorites so excuse me while I gush...

Pour a hazy, bright pale gold. Head grows enormously and deliciously during the pour. Pure white with lots and lots of lace. Smell is floral and lemony. Very complex aromas. Light hops, light malt. Hints of apple and yeasty spice.

Sweet nectar...tastes bitter up front fading to light sweetness. Crisp sweet apple flavors. Light and smooth with a bit of warming from the alcohol. Light bodied with a nice hoppy aftertaste. Very complex and very strong and tasty ale.

A true king of beers but incredibly drinkable even with the strong ABV. If only I could afford to drink it on a regular basis, I certainly would.

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%

Golden ale with one very nice head that stayed on top of brew for a few minutes. Quite refreshing with the right amount of spice. Alcohol taste is not too distinct. I could drink this one very often. I find a ressemblance in the malts to the one Unibroue use for their beers.

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

I had Duvel before and recalled being blown away by it. It was my first gold Belgian strong ale and I considered it my standard to rank all others of this style by.

Everything was right for this bottle to be a great beer experince. Fresh pallet, Thursday night - always a great night for amazing beer experinces, the proper authentic Duvel glass. All the stars were lined up.

The bottle hadn't been in my possession very long, but it must have been rather old. The beer was rather dull and fizzy. There were some interesting flavors, but they were very muted. It was good, very good, but not great. All in all a let down; this particular bottle anyway.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Ugly visuals. In many ways, this doesn't look like beer. Weird cloudy yellow color, with a hint of green. Giant unpleasent bubbles. Smell's quite a bit better, however. Pure citrus all around. Interesting. The taste is much the same, pure fizzy citrusy beer. Hints of lime. But then, I suppose a lot of fruit once fermented could taste limey.

ABV of 8.5% however. By Hercules, that's some powerful stuff! Barely touched the bottle, and I already feel like I've been slugged. Strong pale ale? Damn right, it's strong. Careful with this stuff, but do try it!

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%

I got a taste of bitter orange in my glass. Belgian style sugar does not interfere with the taste, and there is a nice hoppy nose, too. That and a head that can rise above the edge of the glass like a meringue! I wanted my tasting of this beer to never end.

4.16/5  rDev -2.8%

Beer is bright gold and clear, basically looks like a good Pils. This one tries to jump out of the glass as it pours with a lively carbonation that creates a thick white long lasting head. The head is Meringue like in consistency. The beer smells sharp and slightly herbal and fruity, accompanied by a woodiness. Has a lightly sweet taste with a complex herbal aftertaste. Lightly bitter and hoppy. Leaves one with a soft maltiness in the finish. A very light beer that hides its alcoholic strength well.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Well, what could I add to the prolific reviews already well known to those that have tried this amazing brew? Not much, actually. But what I can tell you is that if you enjoy a REALLY smooth, extremely well balanced strong ale that you can quaff down with unparalleled ease, then this is the one Belgian you cannot do without! Pudding like head, cloudy amber strong ale that is spicy, bitter and sweet all at once. Godly smoothness in the mouth, and a nice dry, semi-sweet finish. Liquid ambrosia! Buy or die.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Now Quaffing: Duvel Red

330ml stubby poured into goblet.

Initial pour was a perfectly clear gold with an agressive white head that fills the remainder of the glass. As I swirled the bottle and decanted the yeast sediments (which is my personal preference), liquid gold turned into hazy apricot. Aromas are sweet and spicy--bananas and cloves perhaps and there is some grain in there to hold it all together. The first sip is an arsenal of spicy fruit flavors with a nice bite from the carbonation and alcohol as if the beer is reminding you show respect where its due. Everything becomes extremely balanced and much more mellow as I take a few more sips, which is where the deception begins. This beer is 8.5% ABV, but the devil doesn't show its true identity until the goblet is drained. Very smooth and very drinkable, a must for any belgian lover.

3.67/5  rDev -14.3%

I poured the Duvel into a pint -- my goblets are dirty. Last I checked, the head was four inches. As I type, the beer is consuming itself, cobweb lacing down the side of the glass and a giant marshmallow formation in the center. This reminds me of being 12-years-old and wanting to shave so bad that one day I went into the bathroom while my dad was at work and lathered a can of shaving cream on my face.

I haven't touched the beer yet. I feel so unnecessary.

This would be nice in a flute; more effervescent than champagne. The head needs to be controlled (or paroled). It's like pouring from a tap that's gone haywire. And having to sit around for ten minutes while this thing settles sucks. Straw golden body like an American lager, hazy but a good deal of light comes through -- Los Angeles in June.

All hops on the nose -- spicy, cidery, sharp. Is this a Belgian or a Pilsner?

Tastes like a smoky hefe. Very clean, lagery, with mild gumball from the yeast and some alcoholic exhaust. The strong hop aroma is all but lost on the tongue with only a minor tang that immediately fades out. Sweet and malty (creamy indeed), but where's my Saaz? For a Belgian Strong Pale, not much going on here. A total wash-out.

What the hell? This thing is still bubbling.

Relax, relax.

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a large bright white, rocky and retentive head that lasted to the end. The color is a bright yellow color. It is a little hazy with a good showing of effervescence. Smell is fruity, earthy, and citrus. Taste is sweet, fruity and with a dry peppery finish. It has a great balance of tastes, mouth feel, and a crisp finish. A very distinctive character.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a golden yellow with an out of control head white head that last quite a while. Little bubbles continuously coming up from the bottom of the glass. It has a pleasant aroma of fruit and yeast. You can taste the light fruit and malty flavor it also has a nice little hint of spice. It is very drinkable even with the high content of alcohol. It might be a little pricey for some but I’ll take quality over quantity any day. It's good to have the Devil in your collection.

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

bright sunshine yellow giggled with careless white foam which rolls up and down the sides of my glass...

Cold, it tastes like beer-flavored Champagne.
Warm, it gives off a dense, voluptuous perfume of tangerine syrup and muscat. This is the essence of decomposing aromatic botanicals. A steamy, bubbling sludge of mint greens, pine, orange peel, sage and roses is offset by dusty chalk and stubborn fizz.
This is laughing, pitiless, beautiful beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Yum. This stuff is daRn tasty.

Poured up with a huge, uncontrollable head that stayed with the beer right to the end. The head became creamy and soft. Delightful to look at and drink past. Lace and gobbets of foam stick to the sides of the glass. Wonderfully messy.

Pale, slightly foggy, straw yellow. Smells mildly of cloves/orange with a hint of pepper, spice and yeast. The first mouthful is quite bitter, but settles nicely into yeast, hops and fruit. Feels wonderful in your mouth, carbonated just about right.

Pleasant to drink. I'm going to go find another one.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Sampled from a 33cl bottle at Falstaff in Paris and served with the proper Duvel glass. Hmm....neon Duvel sign in 1st floor window, I wonder who provided the glasses?

I have to say I had no idea what to expect from this beer. I didn't know what style it was, only that it was highly rated and I hadn't had it.

Poured a golden pilsner yellow with a volcanic eruption of head that did not allow you to empty the bottles contents in one effort even using proper form. Tiny streams of bubbles in the beer. The creamy white head was very pillowy and looked much like a fluffy white cloud on a beautiful North Carolina summer day. The head retention was very long (as I was trying to pour the rest of the beer in the glass) and the lacing was quite impressive as well.

The aromas were fairly muted at first, then came alive quite quickly. Scents of fruit, yeast, candied malt, and then hints of spice and hops. Very inticing and a little surprising, I would not expect such candied malt scents from such a light colored beer. If I smelled this blind I would have guessed its color more in the range of a Triple or a caramel color.

The taste was just as surpising as the aromas, but along the same lines. Full and rich the flavor started with candied malt and some sweet fruit. The middle started to become dry and slightly hoppy, but finished very crisp and clean. The alcohol is very well hidden, but you can note its pressence. The alcohol profile complements this beer and I don't think the flavor profile would be complete without it.

The body was light to medium light with amazing effervescences and carbonation that dances on the tongue and tickles the throught. The carbonation is very close to that of a good Brut (dry) champagne. This beer was as good cold as it was when it warmed. It did not last long enough to get to warm, but we were sitting outside and it was 93 at midnight, so it did warm some.

A wonderful beer that I cannot wait to experience again. Cheers!

Light gold color, large head. A full bodied Belgian golden ale. Very malty, slightly toasty and candy sweet. Slightly hoppy. Full flavor. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is malty and sharp. Some alcohol bite present at 8.5%

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

What a real nice pour, a straw color with a huge rocky head that sticks very nice to my glass,aroma is spicey and very yeasty.The taste is fruity with definent yeast flavors and some very spicey notes,a truley enjoyable complex beer.A world classic Iam glad I finally got the chance to try this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a very pale golden color with the biggest fluffy white head I've ever seen. It's mostly spices in both the aroma and the taste. It's highly carbonated and very light in body. Actually very refreshing and quite drinkable. At 8.5%, it's high drinkability might be dangerous.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer must be the very definition of "Belgian ale." It has all of the best qualities of Belgian ales in the most perfect proportions, including the fluffiest God diggidy head I ever saw. It has everything you could possibly want in a Belgian ale, and it's virtually impossible to ask for more. The Belgians can craft better brews, but as meat-and-potatoes belgian ales go, this has to be the best.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Very light colored (yellow) for a BSPA. The head is monstrous even with a conservative pour. I emptied the bottle in my glass, went upstairs to watch the top half of a Mariner’s inning, came back downstairs, and it was still there.

Smell – A complex aroma. I can pick up some fruit, malt, and yeast. Pleasant.

Taste – The light appearance is deceptive. This is a heavy hitter, and it’s not just malt, yeast, and light fruit. You have to wait for it, but there’s nice spicy bitterness and even some evident hops past the crest of the standard BSPA flavors.

Not to go overboard, but this is a good brew. It is fun and complex. I know that it is sold at thousands of grocery stores around the country and I may sound like a bumpkin for belaboring the point, but The Devil is very interesting indeed. I have often dismissed it myself in the past (thinking of it in the 3.0 or 3.5 area), until I actually sat down and took some time with it for the review.

Mouthfeel – Again, this is right on. Well carbonated and smooth.

Drinkability – The bottle didn’t even make it to the end of the review. So what if half the Bud-drinking losers you know have it in their fridge's – it’s great!

Comments – I really developed an appreciation and respect for this beer after taking my time with it. This is well done.

PS: Large amounts of sediment that I'm not supposed to drink - but I do.

Update: A sampling of this in 2004 shows amazing consistancy. After sporting a gorgeous appearance from several different bottles I’m upping this rating by 0.5.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

A wonderful beer. Had this last night for the first time after getting off work around 11:30PM. What a way to end the day! Reminded me of champagne. A very foamy white head, lots of carbonation. Poured a straw color into my Chimay goblet (so I don't have a Duvel glass - sue me!). Scents of sweet fruits and honey. Taste of honey and bananas, and a nice crisp zap of hoppiness that keeps it from being too cloying. Definitely did not notice the high amount of alcohol, so this would probably have led me to dance in the middle of the street if I had a large supply of them on hand. I'll have to get my wine snob old man to drink this as part of my ongoing campaign to get him to respect beer.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

I had a glorious 750mL bottle all to myself several nights ago, and I now have a new favorite. One thing that struck me most about this beer was the perfect level of carbonation-- I can't really explain it, but I want--nay, need!-- to feel it again. The main taste to me was of fruit, specifically apples. Maybe that's just me though...

I was raving to my girlfriend about the beer, and told her i could think of nothing i wanted to do more than sit in a dark, silent room while drinking a bottle of Duvel. she suggested something she could do to me in that room that would improve the experience-- yep, it's still my wildest *beer* fantasy. time to make the 45 minute trip it takes to buy more!

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While not quite as pretty as Orval I think it tastes quite a bit better. With chunky white head, clear straw coloring, and a faint, slightly spicy aroma this beer still presents it's self very well. Very crisp with a slight spiciness and a bit of bitterness. Not as sweet as I expected, and very, very drinkable. I found it a much better beer as it warmed, or it could just be the 750ml bottle of 8.5% goodness warming me...either way its a winner!

3.6/5  rDev -15.9%

Reminds me of champagne almost from start to finish. The fizzy white head quickly recedes down to the top of the slightly hazy honey/straw colored beer. Nose is sweet, a bit fruity, with hints of honey. Flavor is also sweet, with hints of honey and candy. Mouthfeel is crisp, a bit tingly. Average drinkability due to sweetness and carbonation.

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours with a 1” head, Full carbonation and cloudy, yellowish color. Very light in taste, with a bite of hops. Carbonation almost explodes in mouth on first sip. Head remains throughout glass. Strong hop presence. Beer practically floats off the tongue and hops grab onto the sides of cheeks and the flavor lingers there. Excellent amount of lace. As beer warms and settles, hop flavor mellows and the beer seems to thicken up and gains a citrus finish.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV