Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

pDev: 12%
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros

cornucopia, Nov 28, 2011

Joshgonzales79, Nov 28, 2011

jhighlandbrewing, Nov 27, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

duvel bottle into a duvel tulip

A - straw yellow opaque body with carbonation visible. big foamy white head two to three fingers deep. good retention great lacing.

S - crackers, lemon zest, orange peel, bit of pepper and bread malts.

T - spicy yeast with bread crackers pepper lemon zest.

M - maybe too much carbonation but superb clean crisp feel to this. nicely boozy without being too much so.

O - a world class beer no doubt.

celticfutblclub, Nov 27, 2011

akinsja, Nov 27, 2011

Ajlvt, Nov 27, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -53.4%

11.26.2011 – Duvel Belgian Golden Ale. ABV: 8.5

Appearance: Bottle says to pour gently, so I started with a gentle pour. But I wasn’t getting any head, so I finish a little more aggressively. Still not much head. Nothing like the picture on the back of the bottle. About a half inch. Maybe the bottle was too cold right out of the fridge? Color is yellow-gold. A little cloudy. Grade: 3

Smell: Not great, a little stale. Reminds me a lot of a Miller High Life. Hoping that taste will not disappoint. I really want to like this beer given it’s “world class” status and all. Grade: 2

Taste: Champagne. Tasteless suds. Strange hoppiness, a little stale tasting. Lots of lemon. Some lilac, especially in the aftertaste. No malt. Grade: 2.5

Mouth: Bubbly as hell. Yes, hell-like is a good way to describe it. Perhaps this is where the “Duvel” name comes from. If I drink slowly, it fills my mouth with soapy suds. If I drink fast, it burns my throat and then fills my belly with soapy suds. (At this point I am wishing I was drinking a Miller High Life.) Grade: 1

Overall: Very disappointed. The smell is a turn off. The taste is a mix of weird and underwhelming. And the mouth is simply unbearable. In the name of non-abuse toward alcohol I will not dump it, but I may try to turn it into the bottom half of a black and tan in hopes of finding a redeeming use for this stuff. (That could be disaster, but it can’t be worse.) I have had Belgian whites and Belgian tripels before, and have liked both, but this particular beer is just not my style. It reminds me of everything I dislike about Pilsner Urquell multiplied by two. I have three more of these, so I may re-review when I am in a forgiving mood. Grade: 1

Served: 33cl Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. (Still love the glass.)

Haufniensis, Nov 27, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

bkonk10, Nov 27, 2011
4.25/5  rDev 0%

supermeniscus, Nov 27, 2011
4.25/5  rDev 0%

LostHighway, Nov 26, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

For as many times a I have this, that I never did a review. Straw yellow capped by a large foamy white head. Bubbling carbonation. Alcohol, cracker, light grass, an booze waft in the nose. Sweet bodied with crockery goodness. Alcohol says hello. Light bodied yum! Surprising is a good choice for gateway beers for the gmc crowd as my research has proven.

UDbeernut, Nov 26, 2011

mdillon86, Nov 25, 2011

thedoer, Nov 25, 2011

touchmeimsac, Nov 25, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

750mL bottle (best by 4/12/2013) poured into a Duvel tulip. Pours a crystal-clear, slightly greenish pale gold with a blindingly white tower of fluffy white head that leaves chunks of gravity-defying lacing clinging to the sides of the glass. Effervescent carbonation bubbles forth from the laser-etched gothic Duvel "D" at the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is lots of Belgian yeast and crisp clean pale malt. Lemon, spice, and a slightly sour green apple funk.

Taste is sharp, clean, dry and slightly tart. Slightly prickly mouthfeel that cleanses the palate with each sip, really luxurious, just perfect. Nice lemony acidity.

Overall, for me this beer defines the style. Everything about this beer just works.

draheim, Nov 25, 2011