Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured in to a Duvel tulip ... of course.

A - Pale yellow in colour with a lot of thick, bubbly white head and also a lot of visible carbonation.

S - Some light bitter hops up front with bready malts. Typical nose for a Beldian Pale Ale.

T - Some bitter hops up front and sweet bready malts: well balanced. An ever-so-slight spice taste with some bitterness in the finish.

M - Light body, heavily carbonated.

D - A solid beer. I am happy that I bought this but would not seek it out in the future.

06-11-2010 21:49:17 | More by TheSevenDuffs
jlapennas

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Aroma: Fruity with a bit of Pils malt in the background. Fruit aromas remind me of peaches and orange. No hops detected. There is a sweet creamy note to the aroma, the overall effect almost reminds me of a orange creamsicle. Fairly subtle alcohol in the background.

Appearance: Extremely clear straw gold. Beautiful billowing head that never fades much. Classic Duvel appearance.

Flavor: Fruity notes and crisp carbonation dominate at first leading into some malty sweetness and a bitter dry finish. Finishes with a bit of warming alcohol but pretty smooth considering it's such a big beer. As in the aroma, the esters are not the same as I remember from past bottles. I'm getting a lot of flavors that remind me more of Maredsous beers, not the Duvel of my memory/imagination.

Mouthfeel: Very highly carbonated and dry. Refreshing when cold. Great.

Overall: I've experienced a fair amount of inconsistency in this beer over the last couple years and this particular one adds to the puzzle. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it but it's not the same or as good as some other bottles I've had. As mentioned above, reminds me very much of Maredsous in it's yeast character and it also seems a bit sweeter than I remember. Still quite enjoyable and a style all it's own.

06-09-2010 18:13:13 | More by jlapennas
djmichaelk

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A - Hazy golden, the color of straw. Huge pillowy four-finger head that takes its time to recede to a thin cap with big chunks of foam hanging around. Lots of patchy lacing and rings around the glass. Very nice looking beer.

S - Lots of candied fruits, brown sugar, and maybe just a hint of pineapple. While it's light, it's definitely a Belgian ale.

T - This is definitely a better beer at cellar temps. Fridge temps kill the subtlety. Apricot, plum, and figs dominate. Dark sugar and a little malt.

M - You can't review this beer without talking about the carbonation, and those tiny bubbles are definitely one of the best points of this beer. Very champagne-like, and it makes this one of the best-feeling beers on the planet. This is one of the reasons people keep coming back to this one over and over.

D - While it says 8.5%, it certainly doesn't feel like it. Very light and fresh tasting, and I feel like I could drink a case of it without any issue.

Overall - This is THE benchmark for the style, and it shows. This is the beer that others (of the style) strive to reproduce. The absolute best thing I can say about it is that even with the incredible options that I have here in California, I still buy a bottle of this almost every week. Outstanding.

06-07-2010 14:04:01 | More by djmichaelk
Glory

Quebec (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev -4%

I think everyone in here knows Duvel. Well I sure hope so!
This is a classical beer.
Served in a authentic Duvel Glass from a bottle, the appearance is great, a nice golden color toped with a thick creamy like foam. This is my favorite part of this beer.

Then the smell is dominated with a bit of bananas, apricots, a little mineral side as well like limestone.

The taste is nicely balanced between acidity and bitterness, a bit of cereal sweetness, nice powerfull and just right
the carbonation is creamy and velvety. The after taste is a bitt on the alcohol side.

Great beer, great history, great bargain!!!!

Cheers lads
WS

06-06-2010 18:23:43 | More by Glory
appenzeller

Washington

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance is just beautiful. Huge, frothy lingering head. Color is Duvel gold.

This beer smells of cider, flowers, beautiful nose that is slightly pungent but not overpowering.

Taste. Ah, it gets even better. Malts not easiy discernible, sweetness of apple, some acidity tasting of lemon or lime, beautifully balanced with hops. The high ABV of this beer is barely discernible, no wonder it's named "Duvel."

What can you say? Sometimes the hype is justified. First tried this as a poor college kid wandering Europe, not sure how I got my hands on it then but it was a revelation. This beer is the equivalent of a Bordeaux first-growth, a Chateau Margaux of the beer world. In other words, one of the world's great beers. And you can try it for the price of a sandwich.

06-05-2010 07:12:48 | More by appenzeller
seh410

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: The beer itself is a cloudy opaque golden hue. It's topped by a thick, foamy, lacy white head - its so fluffy and white that it looks like meringue, like a beer baked Alaska. The thick head lingers, almost like foam on a cappuccino. It leaves lace on the sides of the glass and floats on the middle like melted whipped cream. It's fantastic looking.

Aroma: You can definitely smell the high alcohol volume → it's gives off a hint of sticky sweetness in the background. On second whiff, it smells thick almost... it has a very rich aroma with hints of banana (?) and citrusy spice

Taste: This is fantastic. Jumped to the top of my list after the first sip. It tastes full and rich and creamy but yet very light and refreshing. It warms in the mouth (that's the high alcohol content showing itself) and tastes of yeast with hints of fruit. SO good.

Mouthfeel: So creamy but also light and fresh. It feels good going down for sure.

Drinkability: Absolutely. I could easily polish off a couple of these (not that I'd want to or should with that 8.5% ABV). I've never come across a beer with this high volume that drinks so well.

06-04-2010 16:59:10 | More by seh410
Daniell

Australia

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

L: forgetting how generous Duvel's head is I overpour, resulting in too much head. Colour is actually very pretty. At first I think hoegaarden but then I realize it's darker than that and kind of more cloudy, especially when it's help up to light and it's kind of golden. The head is excellent too despite my overpour. It just sticks around. And the lacing. It stays there. It just sticks to the glass like a bunch of clouds. This has to be a 5.

S: predominantly citrus. Candied cumquats perhaps? Something herbal/medicinal in there too. Trying another approach after drinking a bit, I'm thinking sour lemons with some dust. Or maybe orange marmalade or even lemonade. Later after eating some beef bake I get some really amazing juicy pineapple. Almost like putting your nose up to a ripe pineapple in a store to check if it is indeed fresh. It even carries some of the circumstantial aromas you get in that sort of scenario, if you know what I mean. Kind of like the earthiness and nuttiness and even the sulfur and sweetness of the pineapple. I also almost get the rubberiness of Orval in there. 5

T: reminds me a bit of Orval but without the bandaids I so dislike. Tropical fruits, sulfur, herbs, bitters. I like the way you gulp it down and it finishes on the bitters, which linger around. They're kind of mild and very balanced though so you end up with a very "wholesome" taste in the mouth afterwards. I think this aspect of the beer is excellent. Later on I also get pineapple in the taste. 5

M: Not that carbonated but I think I released the carbonation earlier. It's certainly not a problem for me. Might revise when I next have it (which should be very soon) 4.5

D: the only thing which would prevent me having about 8 of these is desire to preserve my liver and feeling bad about not appreciating the complexities of the beer as I get drunker and drunker (oh, and the price). 5

I had this one after delirium tremens which is supposedly in the same style (I think they are worlds apart). I did find Duvel markedly better than that beer, particularly as it seemed to keep on giving so that may have influenced my ratings. Definitely a world-class beer though and I will make sure to buy it a bit more often and try the bomber version.

Edit: I recently had it while out and was less blown away by it. Oh well, next time I get the chance to review it I will do so and see if I want to change any scores.

06-04-2010 10:43:00 | More by Daniell
Thiestru

Georgia

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2-oz. bottle into my Duvel snifter.

Appearance: Clear, light golden with a two-and-a-half-finger white head. Amazing retention and lacing. And most interestingly, there's this stream of bubbles constantly rising up from the center of the bottom of the glass. It's like an underwater volcano! I've never seen that in any other beer.

Smell: That archetypical Belgian yeasty smell. Fruity tones, as well.

Taste: Wow, now this is interesting. I'm not sure what to make of this. It tastes dry, kind of bitter, but it's not the hoppy bitterness I'm used to. Alcohol is present, that's for sure, making this a 'warm' beer going down. The fruitiness I detected in the smell is nowhere in the taste. In fact, this is probably the least sweet Belgian-type beer I've ever had. Actually, it's spicy in a slightly lemony way. Very complex.

Mouthfeel: Dry, light-medium body.

Drinkability: This is definitely a sipper. It's too complex to just gulp down. It demands the drinker to take his time and try to pick everything apart. I enjoy doing that, so this is a definite winner.

06-02-2010 22:24:57 | More by Thiestru
Mora2000

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

The beer pours a light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is pilsner malt with some lemon citrus and grassy and spicy hops. The flavor is lemon and oranges with low to medium bitterness, spicy hops and pilsner malt. The beer is very dry. Medium to high carbonation and medium mouthfeel.

06-01-2010 04:36:33 | More by Mora2000
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Duvel poured a yellow color, with a very good sized head. It smelt like typical beer, but strong. It had a very strong hops, and overall beer tast. It was easy to drink, and you would want another afterwards. Overall a very good beer, one that you will never get sick of.

05-31-2010 01:32:21 | More by vette2006c5r
Bouleboubier

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a perfect beer for a pounding headache.

Huge, billowy head that clumps together and sticks to the glass like white caps left behind on the shore on a windy day. Poured in a crisp, clear pale moonlight yellow until I soiled it with the lees, because I do love my x-tra yeast. Juicy and cloudy it did become.

The scent is powerful and provocative. Clove-ish, spicy yeast and a warming, rounded phenolic aroma that assures you pleasure will be had.

When it touches your lips and then your tongue and the inside of your mouth, the warm spiciness boldly propagates. A touch of mellow peachy fruitiness ferries the elixir down your throat. A sense of well-being springs up from the depths while an aftershock of sedation follows soon after.

Yeah, this is good. Maybe not earth-shattering, but it's expertly balanced and a steal at $3.99!

05-29-2010 01:28:16 | More by Bouleboubier
emmasdad

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a crisp, light golden color, with a huge, fluffy white head. Aromas of Belgian yeast, apples, pears. On the palate, this one is very complex, light and refreshing, yet strong and flavorful at the same time. Some peppery spiciness, more apples/pears and some sweet malt. It's easy to see why this one spawned a style of its own.

05-28-2010 03:34:58 | More by emmasdad
Freethyhops

Alabama

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz bottle into a Tremens tulip

a- pours a pale gold with a massive, airy pure white head. ridiculous head retention, bubbles continuously rising fueling the white fluffy mass. the head on this beer is a beautiful thing.

s- heavy floral, almost perfumy hop presence. very nice yeast esters that are reminescent of pears. spicy, peppery with a hint of alcohol

t- a surpising high amount of bitterness balances the soft pale malts. the fruity esters are much more tame than in the aroma. a bit of sweetness leads into a dry finish with the slightest hint of alcohol.

m- very high carbonation level with a light-medium body. very smooth with very little alchohol presence.

d- one of those dangerously drinkable beers. smooth ass hell with an 8.5abv that is no where to be found. not to mention it's very tasty.

05-25-2010 05:37:56 | More by Freethyhops
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Iconic, reliable, and tasty Belgium Golden Ale. A standard...

Presentation: 330 ml brow capped bottle. White background label with name of the brew in large fonts, seal and signature alongside perfunctory legal notes. Back label offers a brief narrative of ingredients, history, serving, storing, and socializing instructions. Notes best by date (08 2012), and shows Alc. by Vol. (8.5%) Served in a tulip glass.

A - Lightly hazy straw to pale gold pour with a nice frothy head, good retention, and nice lacing with a consistent surface memory.

S - Spicy and yeasty nose, with a light sweet touch. Feels very fresh...

T - Rich fruity and spicy yeast sense, fresh again, with a light tart touch, almost apple tartness.

M - Light body with generous carbonation and a crisp finish.

D - Too quaffable... Alcohol is integrated beautifully, and for something that goes down with such ease it is important not to forget that this is a 8.5% brew.

Notes: For my liking it is nothing spectacular, but I think it has to do more so with my feel towards Belgian Strong Pale Ales for which I am not particularly passionate. Having said that this remains top quality and reliable, and I have never seen a complaint trying to reach my lips when having this one.

05-23-2010 16:43:32 | More by Daniellobo
Chizoad

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle poured into pint glasses. Crazy head which eventually faded leaving a mesa in the middle of the glass and lacing all over the glass surface. Beer was pale golden with vague haze.

Fairly decent smell, but mostly hops/malt and something like cloves? I have no idea really. Interesting but not outstanding.

Tasted much as it smelled. A mild bitterness that seemed tastier at first than it did later. Maybe it's the style that I don't have a great appreciation for. I haven't had many of these at all.

Medium body, tending towards thinness. Easy drinker.

05-23-2010 16:22:20 | More by Chizoad
Epicedion

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

750mL bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Beautiful. Pure gold topped with a poofy head. Lacing all the way up the glass. A thin stream of bubbles constantly rises from the nucleation D etched in the bottom of the glass.

S: A lightly sweet, spicy smell with some lemon and grain behind it. Pleasant and soothing.

T: There's sweet citrus up front, which gives way quickly to some spice, followed immediately by more citrus and slightly bitter hops. This beer is perfectly balanced to be refreshing without being overwhelming in any category. It couldn't be better.

M: Smooth, silk with some prickly carbonation. Alcohol but not very dry or astringent. My only complaint here is that it's a little bit thin, but that's mostly bolstered by the carbonation.

D: Complex with no downsides. But be careful, a couple bottles and you'll be sailing.

05-22-2010 03:25:16 | More by Epicedion
BeerResearcher

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Stubby dark brown bottle. Freshness date stamped on label.
Pours a pale golden straw color with a unique multi-sized bubbly head. The lacing looks like a honeycomb, with lots a large airy bubble pockets.
A potent aroma of morning pasture, fresh herbs, daisies with dry malt are upfront. Whiffs of orange zest and hint of pineapple last throughout. A light vodka-like alcohol vapor is noticed.
Bold sweet malty tastes meld well with a multi-layered hop bitterness and bite. Sweet liquidy sugar and tart orange flavors mingle with the edgy citrusy bitterness. A hint of leather and tobacco create some unexpected, yet welcome depth and character. A fine effervesence creates its own one-of-a-kind fizzy body. It sort of reminds me of a Mimosa.
This is a fairly potent brew that looks innocent enough, but is really a wolf in sheep's clothing.

05-22-2010 02:16:51 | More by BeerResearcher
MealInAGlass

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Holy crap this beer is delicious.

When poured into the trademark tulip glass that came with the package deal, I'll have to admit that I don't particularly care for the 50/50 mix. Aside from that, this beer is delicious.

I was talking to my girlfried at the time I took my first sip, and I just paused in mid-sentence to admire the delicious-ness of Duvel. Naturally, I got yelled at for ignoring her for beer.. But it was worth it.

Appearance: 4
Smell: 4.5
Taste: 5
Mouthfeel: 5
Drinkability: 4.5

05-21-2010 04:43:26 | More by MealInAGlass
JamisonM

Arizona

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into Duvel tulip glass

A: huge bright white head with great head retention a wonderful golden color the look of this beer in the duvel glass screams class in every way

S: spice, yeasty, some pepper and lemon very complex

T: spice and esters taste is complex and I have trouble putting it into words its fantastic taste like a dry champagne but don't get me wrong its beer for sure

M: med mouth with high carbonation

D: yea you can drink this all night if you wanted to only the abv would hold you back

overall: extremely well made world class beer they invented the style and they do a damn fine job brewing this, I have never had a bad bottle of this nectar of the gods.

05-19-2010 01:37:20 | More by JamisonM
dobiechief

This was one of my first ventures into the world of real beer, and it is still one of my very favorites. It is absolutely lovely in a glass, with a virtually perfect head. The color is so appealing that you want to take some time appreciating it. The aroma is a bit sweet and citrus-like, as is the flavor. The mouthfeel is among the best out there; rich and inviting. The aftertaste is sweet and pleasant - never detracting from the overall effect.

05-18-2010 20:25:27 | More by dobiechief
grittybrews

Washington

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured a pale straw yellow into a Duvel tulip (surprise!), filling it to the brim with a 50/50 ratio of beer to frothy meringue-like head. This settled down to around a finger, leaving thick patches of extremely tight lacing.

Nice aroma of apple, yeasty spice, banana, and a hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel was light and crisp with ample carbonation. Strongly reminiscent of dry champagne with a nice balance of banana, light biscuit, and mild spice. Long, dry apple finish mixed with a touch of booziness.

While the taste doesn't bowl me over as much as the "heavier" Belgians, the drinkability is off the charts. Light, crisp, and packs a punch while keeping you coming back for more.

05-18-2010 04:48:15 | More by grittybrews
DarrinRasberry

Iowa

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

This is my first review, so take it as you will!

Dumped this into a poor man's 20oz. Guinness Imperial tumbler. Really need to get sufficient glassware for my new hobby.

Appearance: Poured carefully (as the bottle advertises) and still watched it launch to the top of my glass like a mad scientist's explosive experiment. Half an hour later a quarter-inch of the head is still there, giving me a mustache with every sip. I've only tried about a hundred beers, and this is a beautiful as it gets.

Smell: Takes a couple of whiffs, but I pick up nudges of pine and lemon. Reminds me of the rampant summer shandies that are infesting the local bars about this time of year.

Taste: Head has honey that quickly transitions to an enjoyably bitter aftertaste. Drinking brings a deep fruity feel at the kickoff with a malty answer at halftime. Expected it to finish bitter like the head (especially after warming up in the glass) but I get instead a pleasant, balanced lingering taste instead. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Thick and fizzy, but not soda-fountain fizzy. I still feel it like a lip-balm.

Drinkability: I'd drink these all day if it had a lower alcohol content. Delicious, but not perfect - by the end of a 750 you will get used to the amazing flavor this beer has.

05-18-2010 04:34:14 | More by DarrinRasberry
BobZ

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well in 2003 this was my gateway back to beer in general and my introduction to Belgian beers, had my first Duvel in Ghent, Belgium. Had at least ten on that first trip, and probably well over a 100 since then, I guess I might as well review it.

330ml 11.2 Oz. bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip (what else?).

Appearance: Bright yellow with the largest richest head you will ever witness, the head will not dissipate and the lacing is extraordinary. I have found no other beer to approach this one in appearance.

Smell: Hoppy, spicy, complex for pale ale.

Taste: Delicious again a spiciness to it but also a depth in flavor. Perfect hop balance with the perfect amount of bitterness. This is the mother of all Belgian pale ales.

Mouth feel: Excellent carbonation, extremely smooth and well balanced.

Drinkability: Could run with the Duvel for as long as consciousness would allow.

A beer that is a "must have on hand" all year round.

05-16-2010 01:45:32 | More by BobZ
llllDrGONZOllll

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz bottle poured into my Russian River Stemmed glass

A yellow ale with fluffy white soapy looking head. A mix of large and small bubbles cling to one another forming a head that forms a giant mountain of head above the rim. Tons of carbonation bubbles are rushing to the suffice, reminds me of cream soda.

Aromas of pears and fruity yeast com through in the nose the most prominent. A bread like quality is coming through on the sweeter side as the ale warms. Booze and tannins are there as well but not in a offensive way, much more inviting.

The taste is very dry and the carbonation scrubs the pallet. The ale has a nice balance of hop bite with peach and pear bready yeast flavor. The alcohol burn is chased away quickly leaving very little aftertaste. This delicate Belgian is how champagne should taste. A thin body appears even thinner through all of the carbonation making it an easy drinker. You will not find many beers that come in this strong that are this easy to drink.

05-16-2010 00:09:30 | More by llllDrGONZOllll
PintOHops

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Glass - Tulip

A - Mostly clear yellow/gold color with lots of fine bubbles rising to the top. Produced 2-3 fingers of fluffy head, somewhat soapy looking as well. Retention is great, and it left lots of splashy lacing.

S - Very dry & champagne like, I get grape skin, some pear upfront. Beneath the dry champagne like qualities is soft banana & clove, it's mildly spicy with a bit of tangerine peel or orange peel in there somewhere, maybe a bit of pepper.

T - Very very yeasty with soft, delicate banana & clove, unfolding into pair & apple like notes that are intertwined in the yeasty goodness! A bit dry with sour/tart grape notes on the finish, and long musky yeast flavors that linger just a bit. I did notice some alcohol but man is it hidden well! Delicate yet very simple.

M - Soft & smooth with just a touch of carbonation, medium in body.

D - Everything about this beer seemed just so delicate, I thought it was very simple in both taste & smell, which was nice. The drinkability has gotta be pretty damn high on this one, as It tasted like 7% around room temp! I'm not big on the style but I'd have this one again sometime. Definitely recommended. Cheers!

05-15-2010 22:48:45 | More by PintOHops