Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

pDev: 12%
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Liquid gold and not the excreted kind. This is a beautiful looking brew that has a cloud of head that sticks around nearly the entire experience. Lace sticks to the glass as it is consumed, continuing the beauty.

S- Very crisp. Slight apple (slightly sour?) and bready scents. Very clean smelling.

T - Wonderful. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming. Very clean taste, concise. You can taste all parts nearly equally (hops, malt, etc.) Perfectly put together.

M - Light and refreshing, rolls on the tongue similar to champagne.

D - I'd love to drink these all night, they go down that easily. I would pass out eventually.

youngblood, Mar 20, 2009

330 mL bottle poured into a glass.

Thick white head of very large bubbles. Too much head to pour into the glass (probably poured too quickly). Head dissipates very slowly, leaving tons of lacing. Beer color is very pale, and cloudy.

Smells strong and Belgian, with yeast and alcohol coming through.

Taste is a tangy bittersweet mixture, but more sweet than bitter. Almost a slight sour taste. Alcohol comes through on the finish, and more so as I made my way down the glass.

Mouthfeel has a nice carbonation bite to it, more than any other beer I've tried.

Drinkability is moderate. It tastss great, but the highly ABV makes it more of a special occasion beer.

fullsweep, Mar 20, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle. Pours a sunny yellow color with thick head. Very nice appearance, even though I do not own a tulip glass. Duvel smells very sweet, citrusy, and nutty. On the taste I definitely tastes nuts, and fruit. It is very sweet as the smell indicates. It has a medium mouthfeel I would say, and it goes down very well. I really enjoy this beer, but I would have trouble drinking a lot of this in one sitting. But I have nothing but good things to say about this beer. It is definitely highly praised for a reason.

brianlg, Mar 18, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

I poured a 11.3 ounce bottle into a tulip glass. The pouring technique is important due to the incredible head. The appearance is pretty much perfect, if that is possible. The golden color with the thick white head in a tulip glass is wonderful.

The smell is strong and pleasant. The taste is the same. Not the best taste, but very good.

The mouthfeel is also exceptional. The natural carbonation fills your mouth.

This is a very drinkable beer for one or two bottles. The high alcohol content would keep me from drinking too many at once. Overall this is a great beer.

greengorilla, Mar 17, 2009
4.25/5  rDev 0%

Heard nothing but good things about this beer and have been meaning to try it for awhile now. Love the classic stubby bottle. Pours a really nice deeper golden colour with a lovely two finger creamy rocky white head that's there to stay. Amazing retention on this thing with some nice thick, patchy lacing. Smell of banana, citrus and spices with a hint of alcohol. Banana and citrus up front in the taste with some sort of medicinal taste that follows. Finishes off crisp and hoppy, but nothing overwhelming. Mouthfeel is clean, crisp and goes down without a problem. Duvel does a great job at disguising the 8.1% abv making this much more drinkable than expected.

Overall, an excellent beer that is both complex and well balanced. Love the fact that it's available at LCBO's all around here and will definately enjoy another soon.

ludachris, Mar 17, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Small 330ml bottle served in the proper Duvel tulip. First sip took place after fifteen minutes out of the fridge.

A gentle pour results a bright gold body with a gorgeous two-finger-thick foamy white head. Tilting the glass coats it with thick foamy lacing.

The nose is lemony citrus and banana esters, malt, and the expected Belgian funk. Hints of alcohol.

There's so much going on with the first sip. It's sweet yet tangy, with a great balance of citrus and malt. The swallow reveals spices and a yeasty breadiness. Finish is delightfully clean and crisp.

Mouthfeel is creamy and best categorized as light to medium, which works very well with the huge carbonation. Alcohol is perceptible, but well-integrated considering the abv.

Drinkability is outstanding.

Beers like this always serve to remind me that the world of craft beer does not begin and end with huge IPAs and massive stouts. This is the ultimate Belgian Strong Pale, and one not to be missed.

ThirdLap, Mar 16, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -45.9%

I first want to say...Sorry Keith...I tried to like this beer, I really did. I know it is one of your favorites. Anyway, here is my review.

Purchased last night because my buddy KeefD swears by the Belgian beers. I realize that he loves this style. However, I just can't get around the funk taste of them. Don't get me wrong, wonderful look and great mouthfeel but for a Russian Imperial Stout lover, just can't get past the "feels like I am sucking on a field of really weird wildflowers" taste. I realize that Belgium beers use different yeasts than American beers which is all good but just not for me. Great head and lacing.

As far as for saying this is one of the "god of beers"....yeah, I don't think so. As far as for being a "god of cute little wildflowers that tickle your nose beers"...this is more like it. Just my 2.7 cents worth. Take it or leave it...your choice.

As for future Belgium beers, will I be trying them....of course I will. It is all part of the BA adventure. Someday, it is my hope that I will find a "famous" Belgium beer that I do like. In the mean time, I will continue to love my Stouts, Porters, and IPAs.

The next adventure awaits...later.

schellsbeer, Mar 15, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

A: 330 mL brown "stubby" with best before date of 03/2011. On opening, the bottle slowly began to gush foam. The most careful pour I could manage resulted in a 20 oz glass being about half beer and half beautiful white foam with its justifiably famous lacing. Pale gold rather than yellow, with just a bit of haze being the only thing that knocked it to a 4.5.

S: Yeasty, typically Belgian aroma with quite a bit of funk, some fruitiness, and just a hint of alcohol. A little bit of sulphur that faded as time went on.

T: Very yeast-dominated, with substantial fruity esters. The aftertaste is where it really shines, as spiciness and bitterness from the hops come forward with sweet, warming alcohols that manage not to be harsh. If the yeast was just a little more in the background initially it would be perfect.

M: I want to take a bath in this beer. High carbonation means that it's down before you consciously think about it, and then you're left with a warming sensation from the back of the palate all the way into your stomach.

D: Good, given the amount of alcohol. There's a reason the Belgians have a reputation for doing strong ales better than anyone else.

a10t2, Mar 15, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Light yellow, fizzy and champagne like appearance. So much head I can only pour so much into my chalice at a time. Sour green grapes are prevalent in the smell along with some yeastiness and cloves. The most prevalent taste is the sour green grape, but there are some other fruits in there as well. Very sweet and sticky, and as in the appearance, champagne like. Very carbonated and fizzy mouthfeel, but not very heavy at all. Extremely drinkable, doesn't taste this strong at all.

webmanspidey, Mar 15, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured amber hazy hue with a huge rocky white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Aroma was a heavy hop, light yeast and alcohol. Flavor was a heavy hop, light yeast with a moderate alcohol burn with a long duration finish. This is a standout beer

tmoneyba, Mar 14, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

served probably a tad warmer than recommended. best before 07/2011.

A: Does any other beer look this good/unique? beautiful huge rocky head lasts forever and crazy fluffy lacing. my goblet looks like one of those cotton candy makers.

S: yeasty banana bread with lemon zest notes and spices. slight alcohol note as well

T: very balanced with light tangy fruits. very light and refreshing. how do they make a beer like this 8.1%? lovely malt backbone and nice snappy dry finish.

M: wonderfully light and fresh. carbonation helps the beer reach every taste bud in your mouth giving you a wonderful and complex aftertaste. Take a big swig and let it linger a bit.

D: they call this "the devil" for a reason! very drinkable yet wonderfully complex and flavorful. A beer legend and rightfully so.

Notes: This is the third time I've had this, and every time I like it more and more. First time I really wasn't that impressed, but now I'm hooked!

uno99, Mar 14, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Poured from a small Duvel bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. The waitress told me it was a Duvel "bell" glass, but I told her that the BAs call it a tulip. Then she pointed out I was a guy drinking from a tulip. Touche.

A: This beer pours a huge 2-3 finger head that recedes quickly and leaves a nice lacing on the glass. The Duvel etching on the bottom constantly keeps this one with a thin head of bubbles on top of the beer which adds to the smell and taste. The color is a light golden yellow that I associate with lager-style beers and tripels.

S: Really great smells of pears and apples are right up front in the nose of this one for me. The beers aroma gets even more pronounced (in a good way) as it warms up in my glass.

T: One of the best BSPA I've ever had this beer is smooth, sweet, and highly carbonated which makes it a great palate cleanser and is quite refreshing. The only complaint I have for it at all is that its bitterness only slightly overpowers its sweetness and can linger. Not really a huge complaint though. This is one beer I love to let a non-beer friend or two that I'm drinking with try because no one I've ever handed this to has said they didn't like it. The taste of the pears was very evident to me last night as the beer warmed up, but not as much when it was cold. I might let this one sit longer the next time because I really enjoyed it as it warmed up.

M: Extremely carbonated, and almost too much so. I feel this beer has a near perfect weight to it.

D: Could drink it all night. None of the elements are overpowering, and 3-4 of these in a night is not beyond me. I absolutely love it.

thirdeye11, Mar 13, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

If you wait for the head to disappear on this brew before drinking it you may want to take out a life insurance policy because you'll be waiting awhile. Hazy/cloudy straw yellow coloe. White as snow head. Great lacing.

Smell is sort of average to my nose. Fruity with a definite green apple characteristic. Certainly has that Belgain yeatiness to it as well as the smell of good old alcohol.

For such a strong beer it tasted quite nice. Big malts up front followed by a certain yeastiness. Hop prevalent in the middle and in the aftertaste. Alcohol warms up the palate and tongue in the finish along with a nice dryness. Oh, and as others have mention, watch out for the kick.

Considering how fizzy it was upon pouring, I thought it would be a lot more like champagne that beer. Thankfully it was not.

Certainly a well brewed beer and it lends to my ongoing joke about why the German's occupying Belgium probably got fat and lazy drinking this and others given the high ABV. Not a beer that everyone while enjoy, but a neat experience none-the-less.

Shadman, Mar 13, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Stubby Belgian bottle; best by 05/2010. Brewed with Flemish water, French pilsner malt, Scottish yeast and Czech hops. Boiled for 1.5 hours, fermented with ale yeast, lagered for 3-4 weeks at 27° F, bottle-conditioned warm for 10 days, then cold-conditioned for six weeks at 41° F before leaving the brewery. Whew! This brew pours a bright, crystal-clear gold, with lots of beads of carbonation and three inches of beautiful head. I can tease the foam two-fingers above the rim of the glass, and it is as dense as meringue at the top, with fluffy froth below. There is a bit of haze at the end of the pour, and a huge amount of lacing on the glass. Smells sweetish, with subtle esters and traces of noble hops. It's a bit muted at first, but as it warms, it opens up and becomes more aromatic. The flavor has sweet pilsner malts that interplay with fruity alcohol and esters, lots of warming alcohol, flashes of spicy Saaz, and notes of banana and spice. Becomes more and more Belgian toward the end, with lingering hops and malt. Medium-light on the palate, nearly creamy, with a medium finish. Definitely a unique brew; each sip begins and ends like a pilsner, sandwiching spicy/fruity Belgian notes in the middle, making me want to call it a Belgian imperial pilsner. A one-of-a-kind beer that is in a class all its own. Definitely worth revisiting.

mmmbeer, Mar 11, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Ordered this at Spike's last night. Served in a Duvel snifter.

Appearance: HUGE 4-finger, pillowy, white head, piles up on top of a clear, golden body. After five or ten minutes, the head has only decayed a bit (maybe a half inch) around the sides of the glass, leaving a pillar of soapy bubbles standing in the middle. This is straight-up ridiculous. Turbulent carbonation feeds this massive head throughout the sesh. I don't really know what else to say... this beer is one of a kind.

Smell: Banana and clove are the main scents, and are accompanied by orange zest and spice.

Taste: Similar to the taste, but with more citrus and clove. Perfumy hops add to the taste as well. Banana still there. Alcohol kicks in at the end. Finishes sharp, dry and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp, and certainly dry. Certainly warm. Lots of carbonation. I like.

Drinkability: I'd love to have this again, and I'm sure I will. Not the most complex beer out there, but very balanced and fun. Carbonation provides for a lot of excitement in both look and feel. Flavors work well with the alcohol too. I could easily drink several of these.

ThreeWiseMen, Mar 11, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 11.2oz bottle(best before date on bottle: 04 2011) into chalice. Pours light golden, almost champagne colored, with tons of soapy head that fills the glass easily with a careful pour. The sides of the glass are covered in lacing from the head and a string of bubbles rises non stop around the glass. As I poured it I was strangely reminded of Busch beer in the scent. Upon letting it sit I get more banana like scents. Taste is surprisingly mellow with the same banana flavor as I got in the smell and Belgian yeasts. To me this tastes like a watered down tripel in a good way. Very similar in flavor to many of the tripels I've had lately but much smoother and more balanced. I've been slowly backing away from Belgian styles lately but this one makes me want more. A perfect example of a Belgian strong pale. Mouthfeel is a little tangy on the tongue and dry as you drink it but makes you want more as soon as you set the glass down. I have to say this is very drinkable for being 8.5 abv. I could definitely drink several of these despite the high alcohol content. I would strongly recommend this to anyone who hasn't had it.

dakid618, Mar 10, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 750ml caged and corked bottle into a pint glass. The first glass pours a bright and clear golden yellow, the last glass is cloudy with yeast sediment. Every pour results in a thick soapy white head that coats the side of the glass as you drink. The smell at first reminded me of a macro-brew. As it sat odors of yeast, banana, and alcohol are present. The taste is sweet with strong flavors of banana and yeast with little hop flavor. Carbonation is strong, but it is very drinkable. Overall a very good beer.

mjaskula, Mar 09, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Poured into a tulip glass from a nice little bottle. Pours vibrant blond with a towering, foamy white head.

S - Lot of spices; cloves and the like, banana and citrus fruits, wheat and light sugars.

T - Chalky, yeasty frontend that is suddenly livened up by a nice citrus and hop bite. Finish is nice and mellow with some faint spices.

M - Thin bodied, light, good carbonation.

HeyItsChili, Mar 08, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

The color is brilliant blond with a great good body; there's a lot of spices and grapes in the smell; the flavor is complex and very strong, like the smell, with spices and grapes, have bittersweet end; there's a lot of carbonation; i finished very fast; tasty to accompany pastes (although I took it with escalopes).

roddwolff, Mar 08, 2009
4.25/5  rDev 0%

11.2oz stubby bottle poured into the duvel tulip that came with the 4 pack. best by date of 05/2009 on the back of the bottle.

A- this one was a gusher. poured into the glass a bright golden yellow colored body with a foamy white head that wont quit. steady closely packed stream of bubbles come out of the center of the glass. a finger and a half of the head sticks around for the entire experience and leaves its mark on the sides of my glass. cant ask for anything more for this style. beautiful.

S- sweet belgian yeast and a small dose of citrus notes in here as well. kind of lemony. somewhat spicy. i think the spiciness and lemon/citrus notes must be the hops.

T- musty and earthy. i wasnt expecting that. fruity and sweet as well. not as much yeast as i could smell. slight bite from the alcohol and faint hops.

M- very light and highly carbonated. crisp and balanced.

D- easy to finish and worthy of the reputation. a couple of these in a sitting would be a treat. its a shame this beer is often overlooked by me because of harder to find, and often less enjoyable beers. ill try to make it a point to pick this up more often.

jwinship83, Mar 08, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from bottle into Duvel tulip glass.

This beer just looks tastey from the start. It has a great pale orange color and a huge, foamy head that looks like it's been whipped. The head stays from start to finish and has heavy lacing all the way down.

The smell is intense and well balanced with citrus, a little spice, and then yeast.

The taste is also well balanced. A little bit of spice followed by orange and lemon flavors, then yeast.

Very crisp and refreshing in the mouth, with a slight alcohol presence. It finishes just a little dry.

This goes down exceptionally easy, especially considering the ABV. If it wasn't printed on the bottle, I would never believe this to be an 8.5%. Again, the flavor and mouthfeel make this a very refreshing beer.

Vonerichs, Mar 07, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

This is my first review on BA.

Presentation: Big 750 ml bottle with cork.

Appearance: Very light yellow.

Aroma: Lemon and herbal aroma.

Taste: Spicy and sweet. Perfectly balanced, a bit dry. reminds me of champagne.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and with heavy foam.

Drinkability: This beer is the most drinkable beer I have tasted.

Fenrisulfur, Mar 07, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter. 750mL corked bottle.

4.5 A: Slightly hazy diluted piss yellow color. Lots of whippy light head with moderate lacing. Really pretty.

4.0 S: Fresh and earthy. Some spicy pepper and cloves.

4.5 T: Pepper and spice. Yeasty, mild hop bitterness and flavor, rather dry.

4.5 M: Medium body. Very crisp and bubbly. Resembles a pumped up tripel.

4.5 D: This is some tasty shit.

DavoleBomb, Mar 07, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Just starting to try Belgians.

A = Bright straw color. Well carbonated. Towering fluffy white head.

S = Yeast. Faint alcohol & hops.

T = Smooth and crisp. Mild hops, fruit. Yeasty.

M&D =Very light for the high ABV. I drink mostly heavy American beers so it's a treat to find something strong with such a light feel just in time for spring.

This beer is so well balanced I can see why it's a standard. Time to get a sixer and branch out.

johlendorf, Mar 06, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

A very drinkable beer. Very servicable to a 'novice' like myself, this beer was both clean and fresh. I was not impressed with the smell of the beer but the full rich taste more than made up for the SLIGHT offensiveness caused by the aroma. The book is definitely better than the cover here, and there is no reason to doubt this beer on your next purchase if you like ales or goldens or Belgian's of any kind. Truly a beer for all seasons and not disappointing in the least.

Kevuas, Mar 06, 2009