Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured a 11.2oz beer into a Duvel Tulip. This beer is perfection when it comes to its appearance. Duvel poured into its proper glassware pours a golden straw yellow with a big, almost overwhelming white head that leaves huge spots of sticky lacing. The glass replenishes the head always leaving about a half an inch worth of head on the beer at all times. The aroma is slightly yeasty with hints of green apple. The taste is bready satisfaction up front. Green apple esters and almost a peppery flavor come out also. The mouthfeel is light bodied with ample carbonation. This is a highly drinkable beer.

hwwty4, Aug 06, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

This is my spouse's favorite beer. So I've come to enjoy it myself.

Poured into a tulip creates a lively pearly white head. very nice
cloudy golden yellow

Smells yeasty like fresh bread

Very impactful taste. first sweet overtaking by strong abv left with nice full bread like finish

This beer feels similar to champange. Which probably explains my wife's love for it. very carbonated and crisp. however it still manages to end smoothly and fizz out towards the end.

overall very enjoyable. I'll have another. We'll be getting this one on anniversaries now instead of champange THANK GOD ! Hail to the beer gods

Herrbrokt, Aug 06, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clearish straw yelow with the trademark Duvel head. The foam lasts quite a while and leaves copious lacing. Smells of citrus and pear, with a bit of hop character and slight alcohol. Heavily (too) sweet. Citrus and other light fruits are again present in the taste, but the hops come forward to add some bitterness. The sweetness is still rather overstated. Some spice, and big alcohol. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky. Not really a fan of this one at all; the ever-present sweet pear taste combined with the alcohol just aren't appealing. I've had this many, many times; it was a cheap nachtwinkel beer in BE that did the job. As a proper beer though, it's bad enough that I sometimes seriously consider pouring it.

philipquarles, Aug 06, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +15%

Appearance
Towering white head that looks thicker than any head on a beer I've ever seen--like whipped cream! bright yellow body, clear

Smell
Spices, banana, bread; doesn't hit me in the face, but I don't have to strain to get a sense of the beer either

Taste & Mouthfeel
Complex flavors from the nose; mouthfeel is exceptional--finely carbonated and lusciously textured; finishes lemony and bready sweet; it's a strong beer, but goes down easily, so drinkability doesn't really suffer, just sobriety

Overall
Extremely impressive beer and absolutely worthy of the accolades. It's strong in all areas.

JEdmund, Aug 03, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

I finally get around to reviewing this classic.

This hedonistic brew pours a pale yellow with a very full white head that refuses to die down. Being an experienced imbiber of this ale I was careful to pour gently in anticipation of the ever growing billowing white head.

First sniff their is a noticeably peppery spicing with a bit of apple. In addition to the aforementioned there's a wonderful interplay of hay and perfumy hops.

The ample carbonation creates a satiating feel, but remains light and airy making for a dangerous combination with the abv. The grass and hay combine with a lemon citrus for a quick zip of flavor that rounds out to a dry and spiced finish. It is no wonder that it is copied by so many.

Jmamay22, Aug 02, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Duvel pours a golden yellow with a rich frothy head that stays for a long time. Significant lacing is also present. Really a pretty beer.

S- Nothing exceptional in my opinion. Yeasty and delicious.

T- Hints of banana at the beginning followed by malt and some light hops. Excellent balance.

M- Very interesting. A bit rough at first with the high carbonation and alcohol, but it soon mellows out. Quite a pleasing rollercoaster.

D- I wish I had another.

jmmakare, Jul 28, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Even when poured slowly you'll get a massive, fluffy, sticky head, reminiscent of a wheat beer but longer lasting-- you could probably carve your initials in it. Lovely floral aroma which deepens as the beer warms up. Yeasty taste with soft edges and a mild sting as it goes down. You'll get plenty of fruit, too, but the breadiness is most present. Very bubbly but very, very smooth. Frankly, I was expecting something more explosive-- I've found that American takes on Belgian styles are bigger by comparison, generally speaking, and I drink more American than Belgian beer-- but I found this to be a pleasingly subtle experience.

Despite the 8.5%, I didn't find the alcohol to be much of a problem, but I also took my time with it.

gfreed, Jul 27, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +8%

A Poured from "cone top" bottle into clean, clear glass. Front of bottle has the following statement: "Pour Unhurriedly." One should most certainly heed this suggestion. I did not on my first bottle and the 5 to 6 finger head easily poured over the top of my glass while the body of the beer was only one inch at the time. Upon closer inspection the back label even repeats this suggestion to pour slowly. Anyway, classic (albeit abundant) white head with a cloudy yellow body with streams of bubbles from the bottom of the glass.

S Mild hoppy, classic yeasty ale

T Nice, strong ale. Reminded me of a strong blonde ale but more activity in the taste buds than those. Very interesting and challenging.

M moderate to light, some bubbly, carbonation mouthfeel.

D Good. I could have 3 to 4 of these despite its higher alcohol content.

Notes: Watch how fast you pour!!!

adamette, Jul 27, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Crystal clear light golden color with huge white head that sticks around. Actually the head is kind of ridiculous in that you could pretty much sculpt it.

S - Nice yeast smell with some malts and orange and lemon smell.

T - Apple with some pear and malts. Also an alcohol presence. Touch of spice.

M - Light to medium body with medium carbonation

D - It is good but I'd personally rather sit down with a Lucifer

midaszero, Jul 24, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

A fresh 750 mL bottle with best by 2010 stamped on the side.

A - poured a clear golden yellow with much bubbling within and a massive rocky 3" head that retained beautifully and towered over the top of the tulip glass. Excellent islands of lace as well.

S - dear me, this was quite a trip! Fresh hoppy notes mixed with light malts, hints of lemony citrus, and yeast. It wasn't pronounced at first but it did so as it warmed

T - very balanced hoppiness and maltiness, much like a good German pils but with a deeper level of complexity of the Belgians. Hoppy bitterness, floral and citrusy pucker.

M - light bodied and well carbonated. Soothing on the palate

D - extremely drinkable for a 8.5% ale. You nearly don't taste the high alcohol until it warms a bit.

Overall - Wow this is astonishingly drinkable for an 8.5% abv beer. Quite different from what I expected. The pilsener taste was a pleasant surprise. I'd say this could be a white wine substitute. Substantial enough to complement a pizza or an Italian sausage or could very well be paired with some fish or grilled chicken. Swirling the bottle and adding yeast gives it a whole new level of complexity and added cloudiness to the glass. The alcohol will catch up to you so if you bought a 750 mL like I did, please enjoy it with a special someone. As the temperature increases, so does complexity and detectability of the alcohol. I will definitely buy again and see how it ages.

DmanGTR, Jul 22, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours from a 33cl bottle with more than ample head.

Color is that of, I hate to say it, macro lager! Golden yellow, good, but not perfect, clarity, and foamy white head.

Smell is considerably more complex with that unique Belgian yeast strain along with fruit and spice.

Taste is equally enjoyable having complexities that are beyond my simple palate. Banana, fig, spice, and clove? I wish I could give a better evaluation but I'm still developing a vocabulary for the beglians.

Mouthfeel is typically high in carbonation and alcohol. Drinkability suffers as a result of the aformentioned.

Enjoyable and worth a try. This is probably the status quo for belgian strong pale ale so all others can be judged accordingly.

Edit: My 50th review! Milestone

GilGarp, Jul 22, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

750 ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.
Best before 01/2011

Pours a crystal clear golden color with a one finger thick, cloudlike head with great retention that leaves patchy lacing, absolutely gorgeous begging to be drank. Banana, vanilla and some spice aromas blend nicely. Up front banana flavor mix with a lemon hop bitterness that give may to caramel and a creamy vanilla with a hoppy finish and aftertaste. Medium high carbonation, light body, there is a seltzer water clean mouthfeel. Great drinkability, would love another.

scottg, Jul 21, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a golden color with a very thick, frothy head. Carbonation is apparent and lots of lacing. It smells of yeast, hops, with some hops. The taste starts out bitter, medicinal. Then it gives way to some sweet malts and a sort of sauvignon blanck-type flavor. The mouthfeel is interesting--carbonated and crisp but later its almost powdery. This is a drinkable beer but watch out--the ABV will sneak up on you.

theghost3, Jul 21, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

I could hardly believe I hadn't reviewed this beer. Ghar. Anywho, label says best by date of 04/2009.

Served in my Duvel glass, pours a clear light golden color, a massive two inch head, frothy and lasting forever.

The aroma is everything light, springy, zesty, sexy, just a little. The yeasts and funky citric hops, fruity, wonderful. It even smells good through the two inch head, which doesn't happen often.

Sweet, candied, malty, fun beginning, a deliciously spicy hopping, the yeast bangs in, its a cacophony, a symphony. And the body is delightful, light on the tongue, good body, perfectly spritzy carbonation, drying finish.

There is no sense in saying I'm being objective here. I've had this beers dozens of times, loved it every time, and its a favorite. So I know its good, know its a classic, and rightly give it an excellent rating.

objectivemonkey, Jul 19, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For some unknown reason, I've passed this one by at the store or gin mill for the past two years. I reckon it was the color that confused me, but as soon as I saw it was a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, my desire to obtain and consume grew. Obtained a 750ml bottle that had been sitting in my job's pantry for about six months and they were going to throw it away!!! Brought home and forgot about it for a few more months. Finally asked my wife where it was and she told me she put it on the porch in front of the house. With the hot weather, I was not very encouraged about what would come out when corked. However i endeavoroed to persevre and chilled it in a picher full of ice for an hour which may have been a mistake. Almost killed myself when uncorking, 2 seconds after I untwisted the fastener, the cork shot up to the ceiling of my shed and punctured a hole in the insulation.

The head was so large that it filled the entire snifter and had to pour out entirely for the first and hopefully last time in my life. 2nd pour came out with a four finger head, no chunks, small hills of creamy white foamy head.
The color was murky golden with sediments at the bottom of the glass.

S: Not as stong as I would have predictd, yet I chalk that up to being stored incorrectly. For the most part, spices and cloves came first, yeast and could not determine if faint sweentess was estery or candy/gum.

T: A bevy of flavors coming in and out starting with moderate sweet malts, the spicyness following the nose, bitterness coming in third with high ABV ominimpresent.

m - Thick, rich and creamy, heavy carbonated to say the least maintaining a fantastic balance. As it warms, the alcohol becomes more noticiable but not overpowering by any stretch of the imagination.

D-Luscious. This is a heavy weight in my book under the Belgian Strong Pale Ale classification. The complexity is beyond impressive. Much brighter than other BSPA's but not weak in any category. Takes time to pour properly and gets better as it warms up.

Brianmerrilyn, Jul 17, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

11.2oz short bottle, Best Before 11/2010 poured into a pint glass.

A - Clear gold in color with a HUGE bright white head that slowly fades in patches. Carbonation is staying busy!

S - Fruity, maybe apple with a little alcohol noticed.

T - Man that's good. Again the apple presence is slight, with a light malt and alcohol balance. Great taste.

M - The carbonation and head combine for perfection!

D - @ 8.5% alcohol I would normally say only 1 or 2, but I could drink these all day/night. I think I'm in lust.

ectomorph, Jul 16, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is a good beer. i had it while traveling. poured from the bottle nicely into my glass with excellent head and steady carbonation. color was pale yellow. nice smell but less aroma than expected. the taste was good of malts with nice hopped finish. this is a very good beer. not an excellent beer in my opinion. so many on here feel it is near perfection. to each his own.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

giblet, Jul 15, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a Unibroue tulip glass. I don't have the monster Duvel glass, so this one will have to do.

Appearance - Even in a smaller tulip glass this beers head is awesome to behold. Well over three fingers in length, with a creamy, white, cloudy, puffy look to it. Color is of a lite pale gold, almost a straw color.

Smell - Very yeasty with a peppery hop aroma. Very lite neat fruitiness to it as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Once again very yeasty as in the nose, but a clean malt creaminess doesn't let the yeast run away with things. Crisp and extremely refreshing feel to this one. Alcohol is just enough to make it's presence known, but not overpower. Finishes with a nice spicy pepper bite.

Drinkability - This one is a highly seductive sipper. No heaviness to it makes it so easy to consume, but be careful of the abv as you'll have no idea when it starts kicking around in your head. I make it a point to come back to this one often.

ryrust5301, Jul 15, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Nice golden color with a good , full , foamy white head that will last a while. A lot of carbonation , nice tight bubbles.

Aroma is a pleasant , spice smell with a slight sweetness.

I think the taste is very good , very well balanced with the sweetness of the malt , and the slight bitterness of the hops . Lacks some of the kick if you like hoppy beers .

Very drinkable , but watch it because the 8.5 apv will sneak up on you.
A very good , easy drinking beer . A good fall back beer that isn't over priced.

A good all around brew.

chiapete, Jul 14, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

This fine ale poured in a Pilsnery-like fashion, with excellent foamy head. The head retention remains until the last sip, and the foam rings run down the inside of the glass!

The beer smelled amazingly like a Pilsner, even though it's an ale, kind of interesting here. The smell was of (Saaz?) hops, and a bit of fruitedness.

The taste was exquisite. It had hints of citrus, a slight unidentifiable fruitedness, and a nice balancing presence of Budvar like hops. There was a fine malt presence, and a nice spicy/peppery yeast action.

Drinkability: Give me another! It's wet&quenchy, and then fades dry. Intregueing and fantastic. I CAN'T beleive this is 8.5%.

One of the finest Belgian beers available in the USA.

TwinSox33, Jul 13, 2008

Poured into Chimay snifter

A: Rich golden coloring, finger or so of head that did not dissipate. High amounts of carbonation. I was quite frankly mezmorized by looking at this brew.

S: Maybe it is because my nose is a little stopped up but I don't get a strong nose on the beer. I get a little spiciness mostly.

T & M: I am amazed by the taste of this beer considering the high alcohol content. It is simply not there. This is an exquisite tasting beer. There are many different textures. I do get a bit of pilsener, I also get some spiciness as well. This is one complex brew! Mouthfeel is excellent, this is a beer that remains on the palate and does not go away.

D: Highly drinkable despite high alcohol content. I fully understand the praise that is lavished on this fine beer now.

elniko, Jul 12, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a clear golden color with a large one inch bright white head. Great retention and some nice lacing. Runs the legnth of the glass as you drink. It's just too gorgeous to put into words.

Aroma is delicious. Some pale malts, subtle citrus, spices, yeast, maybe a little fruit and a touch of alcohol.

Taste is quite nice. A light fruitiness and spicey yeast up front with a pale malty finish. Light, crisp, refreshing, and not overly complex.

Mouthfeel is Medium bodied with ample carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly high. Nice flavors make this beer easy to consume. Alcohol is moderately high, but does not interrupt the drinking experience.

Goliath, Jul 12, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

Bought at World Market.

750ml bottle
Consumed in a Piraat tasting glass.

Appearance: bright, golden hay, slight haze
Smell: alcohol, light and fresh, citrus
Taste/Mouthfeel: spicy, a bit bitter, fruity in the finish

This is my second time trying Duvel. I might buy it again depending on my mood. I prefer ales with a little more robust flavor and deeper character. Overall, not too bad for the style.

ClavisAurea, Jul 10, 2008

It's all been said:
Clean, highly effervescent, spicy, and extraordinarily well balanced, with a beautiful (everlasting foam) presentation. And yes, you need to be careful with these as they go down waaaayyy to easy, especially on a hot day.
One of my top go to beers all year long, for quality, price, and availability.
If you haven't tried it, do so.

oregone, Jul 08, 2008
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was tasted in a goblet from the 750mL bottle.

The beer pours a light golden with a pillowy white head that holds beautifully and leaves as much lace as possible on the side of the glass. The aroma is full of bready malts, golding hops, and spicy phenols. The taste recounts all of these aromas, a wonderful spiciness from the yeast and hops and meanwhile the malty sweetness and breadiness balances beautifully. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with massive carbonation. Overall, a great beer. East to drink with plenty of flavor. Could pair well with almost any food.

MSchae1017, Jul 08, 2008