Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Wow a great everythig a great beer should be.

A - golden yellow with a nice frothy head at least 1 finger.

S - Bananas, cloves, definate belgian yeast yummy!!!

T - Nice smooth taste bit tart after the drink is swallowed but so nice.

M - tart, warming nice.

D - really nice at $8.00 a bottle for 750ml not bad gicen the smootheness. Will not turn one down.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Reviewed on 8/9/09.

A: Light golden in color, a little hazy, maybe I was a little aggressive in the pour but it was a significant amount of head and it stuck around for a while.

S: Citrus and spice, green apple, musty. That's pretty much it, and it's good. A little yeast aroma to it as well.

T: Very crisp on the mouth, very light. Wonderful flavors of coriander, lemon, clove. Very wonderful.

M: Light bodied, dances on the tongue almost. Very enjoyable.

D: I can't believe I waited so long to try this beer. Whenever I see it I'm going to have to really give it a strong consideration now. Highly drinkable, highly enjoyable.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

330mL bottle poured into a Duvel tulip

A - A nice golden color with a large amount of head. Leaves behind great lacing.

S - This has a great smell, a little bit of lemon, spice and some yeasty bread.

T - This is everything I was expecting and more. A crisp array of fruits with a little bit of spice, the alcohol was hidden very well. This tastes better as it starts to warm up a bit.

M - A good amount of carbonation and a medium body that adds up to a great experience. Feels really good all the way down.

D - For the high ABV, this goes down without a hitch. If it weren't for the price, I would drink a lot more of these in one sitting.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

750ml brown bottle caged and corked. obtained at Shaw's Supermarket in Windham, NH. shared with BA member MrHurmateeowish. served in a Konings hoeven goblet. pours a hazy dark straw color with an inch of off white head that slowly dissipates and leaves a very nice bit of lacing on the glass. scents of malts, pepper, and lemon/citrus fills the nose. tastes of pepper, malts, lemon, sweet apple cider, and a little bit of orange zest. one can't really taste the alcohol which is very good for the 8.5 abv IMO. fairly effervescent. a definite sipper but quite an amazing beer. one of my top favorites.

Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

Rating this beer poses a challenge. A lot of reviews give it A or A+. A lot of others question that saying it's good, but not really a stand out. I have to decide do I want to rate this beer against all others, or do I want to rate it by itself? There are other's beers I would choose first, if foreced to choose, but I would never sit with a glass of Duvel and think I wish I had something else. This is a rather large beer that is incredibly drinkable, the flavores are good but not so strong as to put off novice craft beer drinkers. With that in mind, I think I should review the beer on it's own merit and not in relation to countless others.

A - poured from bottle into a pint glass. It pours a hazy yellow color. It has a huge shaving cream head that coats the glass.

S - spice, piney, peach? orange?, tart but not the lemon zest I expected.

T - light malt start folled by spice. I looks like a pilsner, but it is heavier and not as crisp.

M - high carbonation medium bodied, clean and dry.

D - Spicy with a piney, undertone. It's crisp and refreshing and dangerous due to the unobtrusive high ADV.

Duvel will remain a standard in my cellar for it's drinkability and the pleasent experience of sipping it over dinner on the deck in the cooling fall evening.

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Am I missing something? Everyone thinks this beer is so great, but, I don't get it. There's nothing I would fault this beer for, but there's really nothing particularly notable about it, either. I mean it's a solid beer, but I find myself having nothing to say about. No impulse to exclaim or anything when I drink it. There's nothing even remotely surprising about it. I guess it's pretty easy to drink given its high alcohol content, but really its pretty standard. As I said, I'm not faulting this beer, but I just don't understand how it got an A overall, and an A+ from the brothers. Again, I'm willing to accept the possibility that I'm missing something.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

Served in a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle, with a proper pouring as described on the bottle.
This is my entry into the Belgian beer world, & what a great way to jump in.

Pours with a large, light, fluffy head that dissipates very slowly to leave behind only a pillows of foam. Like clouds in heaven where I might find myself drinking it (which makes me wonder, why name it 'Devil'?). Has a very light yellow color, only slightly hazy from some yeast, and tiny champagne-looking bubbles.

Strength of aroma is mild, but with some effort, is very good. Mostly yeast, bready, hint of lemon, a bit of clove. Hop aroma is barely there, almost non-existent.

Extremely smooth & balanced flavor. At first taste, I thought it would be similar to a pilsner. After a few more, I realized it never had that bitter finish, but stayed a little on the sweeter side instead. Hints of lemon come through, with a bit of very mild hops on the back side. No hits of alcohol on the tongue, despite the 8.5%.

Carbonation was tremendous. Tiny, velvety bubbles similar to champagne. Slightly more thickness than a pilsner, but far less than say a hef.

Overall, I don't know how you could improve the drinkability of this beer. Unbelievably smooth, balanced, and complex. There's also no way of telling from the tatse that this is a big beer.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into a wine goblet.

Appearance: nice golden color with an attractive 1-finger head.

Smell: malt, plenty of it, and spicy hops. Notes of something tangy; almost ... mustard-y. Definitely not something I've encountered before, but I must say it's not a bad thing.

Taste: the taste is much different than I expected, given the aromas I sensed. Plenty of nice malt flavor, but the hops are much gentler and floral in flavor. There's definitely an alcohol bite to it. As it warms, I find that the malt flavor seems more... mature, or sophisticated, than, say, an APA. After I learn more about Belgians, this is one I will definitely have to revisit.

Mouthfeel: very good. There's a sweet spot in these medium-to-slightly-heavy higher alcohol beers where the right level of carbonation just makes them creamy and delicious, and Duvel really hits it.

Drinkability: if I had a big bottle of this stuff or access to it on tap, I could see myself getting into a whole lot of trouble. For an 8.5% beer it just goes down incredibly easily; it's creamy, tasty and just an all-round great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle says best by January 2011. I've had it the better part of a year.

This beer sits a lovely lemony golden in color in the Duvel glass, the stream of bubbles constantly rising to support the huge creamy white head that lasts and lasts to the very end leaving great foamy swaths of curtains on the side of the glass.

The aroma isn't as strong as I expected but is very nice. I pick up some heady alcohol, some bright fruit notes and a clean yeastiness as well as a sweetish candy smell I can't quite place.

The huge flavour is simply exceptional and so well integrated no one thing really stands out, though each takes it's place in turn. There is a noticeable alcohol warmth, inobtrusive, that seems to back up the flavors but also builds a bit as it warms. There is mild clove, a bit of peperiness and mellow fruit, perhaps a bit banana, a bit of tart lemon, pear and apple but also a bit of grainy yeast and hop that tells you this is a beer. Noted as well is a bit of toffy being perhaps the candy aroma I noted in the smell. Slightly bitter, slightly sweet, sightly tart, slightly sour, the flavours roll about the mouth. As it warms the flavours and alcohol meld and become even more balanced and noticeable.

The mouthfeel is also very very good, full bodied but seeming light even so. Creamy and carbonated to perfection, with very fine phalanxes of bubbles prickling across the tongue. The finish finish is as complex as the flavor, seemingly sweet, tart and a bit sour but ultimately is crisp but not overly dry.

Hennepen, a nice Framboise and Duvel have been my introductions to the world of Belgian beers. Some good friends of mine gave my wife and I two Duvel gift sets, the ones with the Duvel glass, for our 25th anniversary this past weekend and I'm looking forward to letting them age a bit like the one I just reviewed. Then again I may not be able to wait! These are simply delicious beers.

3.86/5  rDev -9.2%

A - poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass. It pours a cloudy pale yellow color. The beer has a creamy head that leaves huge globs of lacing.

S - sap, pine, oranges, spice and warm alcohol

T - sweet malt that turns piny and spicy

M - high carbonation and dry

D - taste similar to champagne. This is something to sip and enjoy though the bitter pine taste seems too strong.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Had this accompanying a great dinner at the Mews in Provincetown with my girlfriend. Great beer to accompany great comapny, atmosphere, and food. If only they had better beers to go with the Duvel...

Appearance- Beautiful beer. Served with a Duvel tulip pint (is there any other way?!!) and happily the waitress didn't attempt to pour this one for me but rather let me do the honors. Massive billowing head off a mild pour. Sparkling golden body with lots of active carbonation. Head sticks around for quite awhile before dying down. Very impressive looking beer as always.

Smell- Very tasty smelling nose. Lots of big accents of bread and yeast primarily. The two scents work perfectly together and create an aroma that smells a little something like fresh baked sourdough. Quite nice.

Taste- Much like the nose, huge yeastiness. Lots of yeast, lots of malt, lots of bread, with just a touch of astringent alcohol bite on the way down to dry the palate and keep you drinking. A bit on the sweeter side, but not overpoweringly so by any means, and probably helps to hide the alcohol. Great flavor and a great example of the style.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is very nice with lots of active carbonation, any more and it would be boarding on too much, but I think it's just the right amount. Drinkability is great too for the alcohol content and despite the sweetness. Could have put back a couple of these.

Overall, not my favorite example of the style, but certainly a classic and a great example nonetheless in my opinion. Certainly give it a try if you haven't.

4.66/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a tulip from the bottle.
A - It pours a beautiful strong golden straw color with some haze. The head is about 2 inches and its very dense but chunky at the same time. Retention is ridiculous; at no point does the head fully recede.

S - Smells of some nice pepper and some coriander as well as a slight clove smell. Some sweet fruit like peach is also present. The smell is also very malty and has some hints of nuts and bread.

T - Very bready but sweet malty taste with some nice yeast residue. A slight hint of clove is present on the tongue as well as a very clean and crisp malty and bready taste. Extremely delicious with a slight alcohol sweetness and warmth at the end.

M - Perfect carbonation a great brew!
D - Absolutely refreshing a pleasure to drink.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours with a beautiful light yellow haze and a thick white foam for a head that lingers until the end. Smells of sweet bread/malts. Taste starts off as sweet and sour but ends up dry and "alcoholy." The head makes it a bit thicker, and the carbonation is pretty evident. Pretty good overall, even with an ABV of 8.5%, the alcohol wasn't really that strong compared to others of a similar level.

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

Picked this up at an LCBO in Burlington I believe. Recall it being one of the top 100 beers, so I thought I would give it a whirl.

Appearance: Holy crap does this beer have head. It poured with three fingers of head and made the glass into a lace magnet. The beer itself is a crystal clear yellow gold, that has a certain charm to it. The only downside is the carbonation is massive. I've never seen a beer more carbonated then a soft drink.

Smell: I'm catching some sour apple notes, although not sour in a beer has gone bad way. Also has a nice backing of barley and a malt texture. This beer didn't take any warming to come out, but it's high alcohol content can definitely be sniffed out.

Taste: Well it certainly doesn't mask it's high alcohol content, as it permeates until the end. Starts with a fruity apple and grape taste that shifts to a more malty and bread/yeast taste and ends with a hint of citrus hops. I wouldn't say it's a buffet of flavor but it has a good taste that is not subdued.

Mouthfeel: Unsurprisingly way too carbonated, this causes it to get an almost liquored up soda pop kind of texture. However, it leaves a nice bread aftertaste and transitions decently. It's also worth noting that this beer is so carbonated, in what was not an aggressive pour that I spent a good deal of time sipping at the head before I got to the beer, and I'm not one to want to wait that long for my beer.

Drinkability: Well it does a lot of things right. It is easy on the stomach, but surprisingly it isn't giving me any gas issues given the carbonation. It's refreshing but it's got a bit too strong an alcohol taste for a beer to be that easy a drinker, and is a bit too carbonated for practical drinking for anything but a special occasion. Still, a fairly solid offering.

Final Thoughts: This clearly a beer for the beer enthusiast and not your average drinker. It's good, yes, but I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites. This beer honestly reminds me of champagne, in that yes it is good, but only in small doses. You should try this beer at least once, and this would be a great session ale, if it's alcohol content wasn't so high.

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750 Bottle split between two Duvel tulips with jessethehutt.

Glowing golden with a huge head. Clumpy globs of lacing on the glass like fake snow on a window. Could be mistaken for an adjunct lager once the head dissipates.

Initial smell is candied green apple, followed by yeast and spice.

A little Belgian funky yeast, followed by slight hop bitterness and black pepper. Finishes clean and dry with a little alcohol bitterness.

Highly carbonated and lively on the tongue.

Could drink this beer all day and night until the 8.5% abv puts me out. Off the charts.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from an their 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours a glossy golden yellow with quite a thick, cloud-like head. Easily 2 and a half fingers despite a careful pour. Medium lacing.

S - Lots of fruitiness right off the bat, bready maltiness, and you can definitely catch the alcohol right there on the nose.

T - Quite complex with great threads of fruit, bready yeast, sweet malt and just a touch of proper bitter twisting through it. The fruit is mainly citrus with a bit of tart apricot, yet also some sweet peach. Quite perfectly balanced between all of the flavors going on. That said, perhaps just a bit mellow yet for my taste, but that is not a knock on this most excellent beer. Sometimes mellow is exactly what you want.

M - High carbonation and a dry finish. Some bubbling action like champagne almost. Very nice.

D - Sky high. Too easy to drink as it is so smooth and balanced. The 8.5% is very well hidden even though you do catch in in the aroma. That said, it is best enjoyed as a sipper.

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from 11.2oz bottle into brandy snifter.

Appearance: The most beautiful beer I have ever seen. Golden, with a massive fluffy head that lingers for a while and leaves a lot behind.

Smell: Slightly grassy, with a lot of citrus and fruit (apple?) notes.

Taste: Starts sweet and slightly tart, with a finish of bitter hops, apple-like flavor, and a pretty strong alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light-bodied, with a sharp but pleasant carbonation bite. Pretty dry and very smooth.

Drinkability: A sipper, but oh so wonderful. Probably the best beer to pass my lips so far in my young life.

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%

poured 330cc into a goblet

A- wow, golden in appearance with a white frothy head that sticks around for the whole bear. lots of bubbles running throughout with nice lacing down the glass

S- catching the hops, with a little apricot and can also detect the alcohol

T- the taste totally changed for me about half way through the beer. started a little bitter with the hops and alcohol jumping out but then flipped with a great sweet citrus taste. just the right amount of alcohol stays with the aftertaste

M- thick and rich...the foam & carbonation mix well. love the warmth that hits the tongue and stays all the way down the throat

D- I like to think this is a sipper but I drink them a little faster than I should...i.e. can usually drink more than one. love Belgian Ale and this is one of my all time faves. don't think I will ever go without having a couple in my cellar.

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Tried at Onion Creek bar/grill in Houston, TX. Poured this into a tulip Duvel glass. YOU better try this beer you Belgian lover you. Read no further if you haven't tried this yet and go get one.

Appearance: beautiful, it pours one of the thickest heads I've seen, half the beer takes up more than half the glass on a decent pour. Lace is there.

Taste: Fruit hops that accompany the poignant smells. Creamy champagne with a balanced sweet spice that warms the mouth. I taste a mix of lemon and apple/pear. Although the color is fairly light, don't let this trick you. It is a mouthfeel with moving carbonation and little alcohol tones that lies behind the boldness of the beer that is disguised by the lighter color.

Drink it.

3.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Had this beer on tap in a pub in Utrecht. The beer had a nice golden yellow color, with a three finger thick fluffy bright-white head, that stayed there during the drinking.

Smell: fruity, spicy, alcoholic, and some smell I couldn't define, a bit like sour sewer water.

Taste: a mixture of apple cider and champagne, fresh taste! A bit sour-bitter hoppy after taste. Spicy and some hints of alcohol

Mouthfeel: thin and smooth. Medium high carbonation
Overall a nice refreshing beer. Not my favourite because of the smell, but will never refuse one.

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 750ml corked bottle into my new Duvel Tulip glass. A best by date of 7/11 on the bottle.

After hearing about the much hyped Duvel tulip glass i had to order one and see what the fuss is all about. The glass came today and i headed to Capone's to see what i could find to christen the glass with. As i looked around i saw the Duvel bottle and said, what better to beer to break in my Duvel glass with then the beer itself. I also have never enjoyed a Belgian brew before so needless to say this is a big moment in my beer drinking journey.

Pours a light straw yellow color. Looks like a light apple juice or a light pilsner. Warning: pour this one slowly like the bottle says because the head forms quickly and grows to take up half the glass. The head is pure white and consistency is a bit thicker then beaten egg whites. Almost a cool whip type feel to it. It also hugs the glass all the way down. One of the best lacing beers i have seen.

Smell is very reminiscent of a champagne. Alot of alcohol and fruitiness. Sour apple and spice. Pears and yeast round it out.
The flavor is close to the aroma. This one really drinks more like a champagne. The flavor is alot more complex then one would think based on appearance. This is one of the smoothest beers ever. The flavors are pepper and lemon zest. Sour apple and alcohol.

Mouthfeel is amazing. Light airy,yet creamy and rich. So so easy to drink. In fact, while typing i'm 3/4 of the way through the 750ml bottle. The 8.5% is kicking in and this beer is becoming more enjoyable as it warms to arouns 50 degrees or so.

Needless to say, drinkability is off the charts. This one needs to be savored on special occasions. Im so glad i got to try this one. I know am no longer a virgin to Belgians. This is probably going to open up lots of doors for me and broaden my horizons.
I highly recommend this one!

PS. The tulip glass rules!! It really heightened the whole experience for me.

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

I served it in a Pilsener glass and wow, the head was at least 5 fingers. I should have paid attention to the label "pour slowly". The foam really sticks to the glass like no other beer. It is very light in color but, not golden, more like a hazy yellow which is appealing.

When it comes to taste the first thing noticed is the alcohol. It really packs a punch, it's difficult at first to make out the flavors because of it. The most prominant tastes are that of honey and malt.

I would recommend this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%

Squat bottle poured into a Duvel snifter.

A-Pours a huge, pale-white head, strong retention and rocky as it receded with nice lacing. Beer was a pure golden color, with an ever-minimal haze and a visible carbonation bubble stream (from the etched D at the bottom).

S-Spicy clove, slight black pepper, bready malt with a hint of wet yeast.

T-All the same spiciness of the aroma is transferred directly to the flavor, along with some additional yeast-influenced spices. Some sharp fruitiness mingles with a smooth alcohol character. Hint of vanilla with a slightly creamy semi-sweetness.

M-High carbonation, characteristic of this style of brew. Mouthfeel is medium to medium-heavy. Slight warming after the first sip let me know I was drinking a moderately high ABV brew.

D-So drinkable. Oh so drinkable. Delightfully drinkable, complex and smooth. A classic brew, with good reason.

The absolute best beer in the world as far as i'm concerned. I stated with the ipas, strong/old ales and then the double ipas. Then i started drinking the classic belgiums; singles, doubles, triples and quadruples. And this one was often overlooked. But now it's my by-far favorite. Taste, ballance, hops, bitterness, mouthfeel. There is nothing about this beer that's bad.

I opened a 750 ml bottle of this the other day and forgot about it in my fridge. I used poured it into a glass and it's still fully carbonated.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a beautiful light golden color with a large pillowy white head that has great retention and leaves plenty of lacing.

Aroma exhibits qualities that are fruity, yeasty and spicy. At the end, there is more of a citrusy smell on top of the already present light fruit aromas.

Taste is mostly like the smell. A very dstinguished spicy profile surrounds flavors of lemon, apple and pear, and some light yeast notes can also be detected.

Mouthfeel exhibits a lot of active carbonation and overall very crisp. A classic Belgian ale and all around very refreshing.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV