Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
crzyd12

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

The beer pours excellently into a tulip glass forming one of the thickest, non-nitro heads I've ever seen. The lacing lasts for the entire drinking experience. The liquid just slightly cloudy with dozens of minature bubbles running up in columns of greatness. Duvel smells like a light crispy beer with hints of orange and sweet malts. It tastes fresh and balanced, but no single ingredient stands out. The 8.5% alcohol content is hidden in the flavor, making it dangerous or awesome depending on the circumstances In my mouth the beer is crisp and light with slightly heavy carbonation, but this does not ruin the drinking experience making for a great beer anytime, anyplace.

The Public House in Boston hands out stickers that say "Why not Duvel?" and I second that thought.

01-30-2007 01:55:22 | More by crzyd12
JoeyHotrod

Missouri

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

One of the best beers in the world and for good reason, Duvel is a treasure to behold.

The appearance is golden, much like that of a pilsner with a massive white fluffy head that reaches the very top of my Duvel tulip. This beer is a joy to look at and pretty close to the equivalent of beer sex. Belgian lace is left throughout and the head lasts the entire duration of the glass. Impressive!

The scent has a slight banana feel, but is dominated by spice more than anything with hints of other fruits coming to the forefront as well.

The taste is heaven in a glass. It's as flavorful as they come, with hints of saez hops and an ever so slight hint of bitterness, all this balanced out by just enough malt.

The drinkability and mouthfeel are both well above average and both are quite suitable for a session beer. When I say session... I mean session... this one simply put goes down with ease and could easily be drank over and over again. (scary given the 8.5 percent abv.... an 8.5 that is virtually nonexistent in the taste.

I'm disappointed in myself for waiting this long to review this gem. I'm a long established sucker for Belgian beers and have been since shortly after discovering better beers and this is truly World Class and every way. Quite possibly 'the' prime example of why Belgian Ales are held in such high esteem.

01-29-2007 06:18:49 | More by JoeyHotrod
Hammarby

Sweden

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Golden (cloudy) with a good foamy white head with tones of yellow.
S: Oh my god! Olives, salt, flowers (like walking in to a florist), yeast, citrus, red berries and dried fruits. Pears in syrup. Root beer. This one is full of surprises. Smells like a really good wine, a wheat beer and the snacks that goes with it.
T: Just like the smell, but a distinct, but not disturbing, tone of alcohol. Raisins of muscat grapes. I can't believe I haven't drunk this one much more often.
M: Tiny pricky bubbles below medium body, kind of dry.
Very good taste, wonderful aroma and altoghether an exceptional beer. My only reservation is that I feel the alcohol in my forehead almost immediately. But, oh my god!

01-28-2007 20:27:25 | More by Hammarby
DoubleJ

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Purchased from BevMo at $2.99 for a 330 ml bottle, on to the beer:

Poured slowly into a chalice, it pours a light blonde with a heavy, cloudy body. The head retention is excellent and there's plenty of lacing sticking to the glass as the beer is sipped. An extremely addictive sweet smell of ripe fruits arise from the glass. The taste too is extrememly sweet, but with a big kick of peppers and alcohol to follow. The ladder will slap your tongue around, and the vast carbonation numbed my tongue. AHHH!! My palate can't take that kind of abuse yet! It still has a nice flavor though.

01-28-2007 20:12:11 | More by DoubleJ
david131

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The first beer I indulged in with my new Duvel tulip. It just seemed fitting.

A- One of the coolest looking beers I have seen. It is obvious the glass was made for this beer. The "D" engraving at the bottom of the tulip really does wonders for the carbonation release and head retention. Beautiful clear golden color. Frothy white head that just doesn't want to go anywhere.

S- Fruit, Belgian spices, a little bit of alcohol. Some of that sourness that comes with the Belgian spices or yeast is apparent as well.

T- Sweetness, a massive amount of complexity. A lot more flavor than one would expect from how clean and clear this beer looks.

M- Very light due to the massive amount of carbonation. The alcohol becomes a bit more warming near the end, but is hidden very well overall.

D- Very good. At first I didn't see what all the fuss was about with this beer, but after having tried it a few times, my eyes have been opened. Well worth the money.

01-27-2007 22:35:57 | More by david131
BBM

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

It pours a lovely golden yellow color with a big, foamy white head that stuck around a long time. The aroma was that of some fruits (bananas), Belgian spices, and a hint of alcohol.

The taste is very well balanced, with fruits and spices up front and a big, warming alcohol finish. It is quite bubbly, and almost champagne-like in texture. Still, it's really a solid beer that is worth your money. Drinkability is a touch lower because of the high alcohol and astringent finish. Otherwise, a very good beer.

01-25-2007 14:56:01 | More by BBM
bushwhacker

Alabama

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Though 'Belgian-challenged' on availability in our area, it's great to savor a brew that lives up to it's acclaim. Poured a beautiful cloudy subtle golden with an awesome white, creamy head that didn't diminish. Just an excellent flavor. A well balanced blend of malts and flavors. Exceptional mouthfeel and drinkability, with a super clean finish. I shared the four-pack with my wife and enjoyed watching her response to a relative quality brew. A newfound favorite for both of us.

01-25-2007 02:31:57 | More by bushwhacker
kajerm

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

reviewing a beer this important from memory is dangerous business, but after about three bottles in belgium and a recent 750 in the states, I feel qualified. I'm ready to amend if need be.

poured (very, very carefully) a gorgeous, unfiltered gold with an explosive head. this beer stands up in any glass, but in its native tulip it is stunning. the aroma is pretty complex-- belgian yeast and an unexpected witlike note with a just a bit of sourness. tastes like it smells (fantastic) and hides the alcohol very well, although you'll realize it's there when you're both hammered and thirsty.

it's full and strong on the palate; alcoholic warmth doesn't come through until well into the bottle.

01-24-2007 04:22:15 | More by kajerm
AltBock

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

This is my second beer that I'm having in honor of fellow BA and Mexico's Beerfly guide, Pepeton. It was his birthday last week. I first had Stone's Double Bastard for his birthday, but I had to cut out most of his birthday greetings from my review because it was too long. Now I'm going to match his Duvel review.

I got the little 330ml/11.2 oz. crazy looking bottle. It's a very unique bottle. I wouldn't even know what to call the shape of the bottle. It has a big bottom and then goes into 2 humps that connects to the small straight neck of the bottle. Can I call it a Penguin bottle? You have to see the bottle for yourself. If you lived in a beer barn all of your life, then you wouldn't know that Duvel is Flemish for Devil. It just has a plain simple front label with the word "Duvel" in big red letters and the Duvel coat of arms above it. No big 12 foot red devil ruling over the 12th level of hell with a pitchfork in hand, just a simple plain white label. The back white label has pouring instructions, information about the beer, US Government warning, and a small black box in the bottom left hand corner that has a best before date and a number that has to meaning to the consumer below that. Mine was best before May 2009.

Appearance: I didn't have the Duvel glass they have pictured on their website or label, so the closest glass I had to that was a Corsendonk Christmas Ale goblet. Worked out just fine. The beer was a hazy golden light lemon yellow or you can say it was a healthy urine yellow. Either way is fine. It had one of the best head of foam that I've seen on a beer. As soon as you pour it, this big fluffy white cloud of foam just rises up so fast that you have to stop pouring half way or it will just overflow the glass. It had excellent retention that left behind 2 tons of white foamy rings and white lace. Sometimes there is more white lace around your glass then beer in your glass. Like the bottle, the head of foam rising up is another thing you need to see for yourself to appreciate from this beer.

Smell: It had an aroma of just cloves, pepper, a hint of yeast, splash of alcohol, and some Belgian fruits in the background. It was more peppery than anything else. Still good, just a bit too peppery.

Taste: It tasted like the Devil himself was dancing on my tongue while wearing his red hot clogs! It really didn't taste like that, but I just had to put it down. It tasted like they really subdued the devil inside this beer. He tried to retaliate at the end, but no problem, they got him a second time. What I'm trying to say is that this beer had strong peppery hops with it's alcohol friend in the beginning, but as soon as it emerged, it was subdued by cloves, yeast, a pinch of toasted malts, and some Belgian fruits. The peppery hops/alcohol tried to come out again, but to no avail. It was already too weak from being conquered by the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: I would have to say that it's in the medium bodied range with an aftertaste of pepper, a smidge of your common bitter hops, and a slight taste of candy sugar in the background.

Drinkability: The back label told me to enjoy this perfection of a beer. Is this beer perfection? Not really. Is it good? Yes! Would I buy it again? Yes, because of the cool funky bottle and to see the massive head of foam just rise up from out of nowhere.

Happy Birthday Pepeton! I Hope you enjoyed my 2 reviews that I had in honor of your birthday! If you're reading this, please send him a birthday beermail. He will appreciate it very much.

01-21-2007 20:21:18 | More by AltBock
moonman00

Mexico

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

I thank to good that this beer is available at a local supermarket.

It pours a beautiful golden color, with a lot of nice white head.

Smells malty and spicy somewhat fruity.

Tastes malty with pepper and pears and a little bitterness.

Nice body, fair carbonization makes me ask for more and more.

01-17-2007 17:29:51 | More by moonman00
cowace2

Oklahoma

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

I call this the most beautiful beer in the world. The way this beer looks in the glass is the way every macro brew beer commerical out there tries to get their beers to look on TV.

Golden color is gorgeous, topped by the legendary enormo-head. I told my wife I had topped it with whipped cream and she believed me.

Smell is good, but not earth shattering. Light fruits and malt. Alcohol is apparent which I don't like.

One of the better tasting golden beers around. I'm a stout man, so I'm always skeptical of beer I can see through. This doesn't disappoint. Wonderful mix of fruits and malts. Bit of alcohol present at the end. Very clean with a delightful aftertaste (how many times does that happen).

Maybe a bit light and fizzy in the mouth for my tastes.

I've been drinking this beer a long time, and I've taken to calling it the "Budweiser Select" of Belgian ales. Bold Taste, Clean Finish. Expect Everything.

But for real, in this case.

01-17-2007 03:07:15 | More by cowace2
joeskirkie

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

I poured unhurriedly as the 11.2 oz. bottle suggests, and was rewarded with a beautiful clear straw colored body topped with a rich foamy white head.

Yeast and malt on the nose, lovely.

Mostly yeast on the tongue as well, with maybe a light sour apple in the background.

Crisp and bubbly, it finishes clean.

01-13-2007 02:08:14 | More by joeskirkie
rarevos

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured unhurriedly from bomber into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a translucent golden-yellow with huge white head. Etching in the bottom of the glass causes carbonation to shoot up the center of the glass in a torrent; the head is consequently higher in the center than at the edges. My wife and I call it "the Duvel button."

S: Light grain up front with crisp apple, clove, pepper, and a hint of estery banana.

T/M: Sweet, light malt up front. Nicely estery with some clove, pepper, banana and crisp, dry apple. Finish is lightly bitter with a touch of warming alcohol. Mouthfeel is light, crisp, nicely carbonated. Not overly fizzy for such an active beer in the glass.

D: Insert standard line about high drinkability despite high abv here: ___. A classic, and an always enjoyable beer.

01-11-2007 00:33:40 | More by rarevos
BeerBelcher

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer is to be admired - widely available and still widely praised. Duvel taught me that beer had texture in addition to taste and aroma, and is a wonderful thing to behold.

This beer pours a pale yellow with secondary fermantation providing plenty of cloud-like head (it towered 1 1/2" over the rim of my Chimay glass). Smell is slightly sweet and very aromatic. The taste is yeasty, spicy (cloves?), and wonderful. Mouthfeel of this beer is unique; it is so soft and smooth. Duvel is an awesome drinking experience.

01-09-2007 12:26:46 | More by BeerBelcher
edskirk3

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

I have a Duvel bottle (which I am so saving) but not a Duvel glass. But I do have a cognac glass, so that'll do. A very careful pour yields a glorious golden ale with a long-lasting, tightly beaded white head that actually keeps growing if you let the glass sit there.

My nose detects pale malt, pear rind, and yeast. Not alcohol.

The taste is crisp and clean. I get fruit (apples, pears) and yeast mostly. Hop bitterness at the end. And warming of alcohol after that. Everything is crisp and clean and dry. I don't know what Miller High Life is smoking, but this is the champagne of beers, right here in my cognac glass.

01-09-2007 04:15:10 | More by edskirk3
brdc

Wisconsin

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330 cc bottle from the gift pack.
Poured into the Duvel glass that comes in the packet, even slowly as recommended, generates a beautiful, foamy white head that lasts a very long time, eventually leaving a thick lacing. Interestingly, which I had never noticed before, is the "geyser" that the previous reviewer mentioned that keeps the carbonation flowing from the middle of the glass.
The beer itself is a very nice, golden color, and smells lightly of bananas, clove, alcohol, hops and earth.
Taste is very good and well balanced, with some hops, light malt and bananas again with an underlying alcohol warmth.
Medium body and very easy to drink for such a high alcohol content.

01-08-2007 23:53:11 | More by brdc
Kendo

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Poured -- unhurriedly, as the label recommends -- from a 33 cl bottle that said it was best before 06/2009 into the proper Duvel glass. The result? A pale yellow body with a HUGE, 2.5 finger pure white -- I mean PURE white -- head. A geyser of carbonation gushed to the surface from dead-center in the bottom of the glass, fortifying the head with further bubbles. The head sat and sat and sat, diminishing in size only minutely until I started drinking -- at which point sticky, marshmallow-like clumps grabbed the side of the glass. A sight to behold all around.

S: Spicy (peppery) and fruity (green apples?) in the nose, with a hint of clove, but also a musky, almost-skunked scent. Clove smell was more noticeable as it warmed.

T: Nice balance of lemony bitterness, peppery spice and clovey yeast. A citrusy, lemon peel bitterness lingers long after each sip. At times that aftertaste reminds me of some German-style pilsners I've had; it coats the mouth with a semi-dry feeling.

M: Light in body, well-carbonated. The effervescence leaves it generally dry and clean, but at times I find the carbonation leaves it a little too fizzy for my taste.

D: Excellent. Very drinkable all around, especially for a beer of this strength, alcohol-wise.

01-08-2007 15:13:09 | More by Kendo
jim102864

Connecticut

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

Purchased as a gift package which included three 330 ml bottles and a deep and wide tulip glass, perfect for this and just about any Belgian. 8.5% abv. Golden yellow appearance with a mushroom cloud head which was whipped cream thick and snow white. Be paitent while pouring or the head will consume the entire glass. Very faint citrusy aroma. Taste was again light with only a hint of citrus which quickly fades in the finish. Mild mouthfeel. Lace drapes the glass from start to finish. An easy drinking Belgian and one I'd recommend for both the newly initiated to the style or seasoned fan.

01-07-2007 16:26:34 | More by jim102864
bluegrassbrew

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

750ml with cork and cage. Pours an inviting light, cloudy golden color with a huge snow white head. Smells nicely of fruit; bannanas, oranges, as well as alcohol. Tastes much bolder than I would have thought. Spice from the alcohol, earthy hops, some bannana. Less fruit forward than say La Fin du Monde but definetly bolder, for what its worth. One of the best looking brews I've seen. Not my favorite in this style, but still very good. I'd never turn it down.

01-03-2007 02:31:40 | More by bluegrassbrew
adammills

3.38/5  rDev -20.5%

This was more than just a little bit of a downer. I pours a lovely straw golden like a pils with a titanic head. Bready and sweet in the nose, slight hint of hops. Here is where it went down hill. Sweet malt taste, but suprisingly uncomplex. I drank it at 55 degrees and even as it warmed it seemed very two dimentional. Drinks pretty easy, but was too sweet for my taste. This is not by any means my first Belgian so I had a feel for what I was getting into, but...I might just have to try this one agian.

01-01-2007 23:21:08 | More by adammills
BoozySmurf

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks to Jessica & Toni for the gift pack. Merry Christmas to me. I poured a chilled bottle into my duvel chalice unhurriedly as instructed, but this baby was a foaming beast. The meringue-like head, eventually, settled and after two pours the bottle was empty. Clumps of foam stuck to the glass as the head rescinded into the golden liquid. Appearance was slightly hazy from the yeast, and very effervescent. I guess that's why the bottle made an audible "pop" when I opened it. Aroma was malty, sugary sweet with peppery hop notes and lightly phenolic. Taste was on the sweet side as well, but there was enough bitterness for balance. Malty, yeasty, and the alcohol was barely noticeable. Mouthfeel was medium-bodied and amply bosomed, er I mean carbonated. Drinkability was very good. I had two bottles to toast the new year in style.

01-01-2007 20:17:19 | More by BoozySmurf
FtownThrowDown

3.68/5  rDev -13.4%

Appropriately poured into my Duvel chalice.
First off, without taking my first drink, visually this is the best looking beer I've ever poured!
Half the glass is huge, frothy, rocky head. The bottle pours perfectly into the glass, no room to spare. The carbonation being released from the inscribe "D" on the bottom of the glass leaves a steady stream of beautiful bubbles constantly rising to the top of the beer. Nice!
Smell is yeasty with some alcohol and lemony zest. The mouthfeel is really smooth considering the carbonation that is prevalent. This is a really easy drinking, enjoyable beer. This is a very sessionable beer due to the taste and smoothnesss, but be careful it packs a punch and after a few of these you'll definitely be feeling it. This has been a very pleasant surprise and something I'll revisit quite often.

01-01-2007 19:36:09 | More by FtownThrowDown
Gmann

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured out of a 750 ml caged and corked bottle. The color was a hazy straw color with an insane white puffy head that left fantastic lacing as it dissipated. The smell is juicy, a bit sweet. However the taste is not overly sweet. There is a bit of a sweet maltiness to it, a bit of champagne, then it end dry with a little twang of bitterness. The mouthfeel is full bodied with fizzy carbonation. This beer has great balance and is scarily drinkable. Has always been a favorite of mine since I first tried it.

01-01-2007 02:00:44 | More by Gmann
bluejacket74

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Served in a snifter, the beer pours a clear golden color with a large puffy white head. Head retention and lacing are both excellent. It smells like yeast and spices, and also like pears. It tastes the same way to me, but with more sweetness, spicyness and fruityness to the taste. The mouthfeel is light/medium, with a lot of carbonation, almost too much. Drinkability is good, but not great because of the very high carbonation. Overall this is a pretty good beer, but I don't know if I could drink it all the time.

12-30-2006 02:38:42 | More by bluejacket74
kenito799

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

750 ml bottle "good until 2/2009" poured into a Duvel glass

I figured it is time I review this beer since it was my introduction to the art of Belgian beer craft. Since I first tried it I have tasted many more Belgians (with many more to go)....

Gorgeous yellow-golden color, clear (bottle stored upright, yeast only came out in the last pour); giant actively rising massive foamy white head, recedes slowly leaving big chunks up and down the glass, with a perfect coat of lace.

Aroma is beguiling; there is fruitiness, citrus, pilsener maltiness...super-active carbonation foams in the mouth early after the pour, later calms down some.

The flavor carries through with a dancing array of complex, transforming flavors...refreshing like a pilsener, yet ale-like fruity sweetness and pleasing bitterness dance across the tongue. Every sip brings something new; no aspect of the character dominates, the pilsener/Belgian ale kaleidoscope of flavors makes this both a refreshing, delicious beer and one that can be contemplated.

12-29-2006 18:24:41 | More by kenito799