Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
SargeC

Japan

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Hazy, pale yellow. Dense white head with flowing carbonation.

Smell: Citrus peel, yeast.

Taste: Hints of citrus. Alcohol starts the initial bite that builds to a finish that is sparked by hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Firm texture. Head has excellent staying power.

Drinkability: Very satisfying. The drinkability can make this beer a troublemaker. A classic.

11-05-2007 02:57:43 | More by SargeC
lowbrau68

New Hampshire

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Stubby bottle poured into an "official" Duvel glass.

A: Golden, hazy. ENORMOUS fluffy head that lasts throughout. Interestingly, a partial "D" shaped mound formed above the already impressive head over the D-shaped nucleation site

S: Notes of honey, pear, subtle spice, with slight malt and alcohol aroma.

T: Citrus and pear with a slightly sour flavor. Very mild hops character and though the alcohol is subtle, masked by the malt, it is a part of the flavor profile of this beer. There is a slight spicy hops flavor at the finish but finishes clean. Light mouthfeel. The flavors of this beer seem to intensify as it warms, much more noticeably than other beers, but it remains refreshing throughout, despite it's relatively strong AVB.

Overall, I don't think beer gets much better than this. I don't think anyone does drinkable-and-complex better than the Belgians, and I don't think any Belgian beer exemplifies this better than Duvel.

11-02-2007 21:46:06 | More by lowbrau68
biggmike

Mississippi

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured a golden color with big fluffy white head that hung around forever. Had a hoppy citrus aroma to it, but also a hint of malt. The taste was wonderful; starts off fruity, but finishes bitter. Nicely balance. Lacing was good. Mouthfeel was almost champagne like. Hides the alcohol pretty well in the taste. Good stuff.

10-24-2007 09:09:18 | More by biggmike
BigJTrucker

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a bright clear yellow with a ginormous, very thick head and well defined lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Smell is slightly of spice and orange peel. Slightly sour taste, some european style hop flavor as well. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy, slightly dry on the finish. Fairly drinkable. I'm increadibly impressed by the head retention. In the small wine glass i poured it into, there remained a good solid 1/2 inch of foam by the time i finished the glass. Very nice indeed.

10-24-2007 04:34:30 | More by BigJTrucker
Trueant1

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

pours a 3 finger thick white billowing head.
looks great

Smells of sweet bavarian hops. Delecate lemons and pineapple abound.

Tastes great! Sweet lemons and nice overall malt characetistics.
Some bitterness on the middle of the palate.

Moutfeel is watery thin and dry. Champaigne bubbles. But the taste is unique and intense. Leaving a bitter afterbite.

This is a good session beer. I love the lemmony tastes...kinkda like tart lemonaide.

10-20-2007 23:01:46 | More by Trueant1
brendan13

Australia

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Pours into a snifter a pale golden with a big fluffy inch or so of white head that hangs around for a fair while. Little spots of lacing.
S - Belgian yeastiness & spicy phenols. Really not much else.
T - Along the same lines as the smell but with a musty, earthy sort of touch. A pretty dry finish.
M - Medium bodied with a bit of a carbonation bite on the back of the tongue.
D - Not something to session but a nice beer. It MAY be the "original" Belgian Strong Pale Ale but it's not the best.

10-20-2007 08:38:17 | More by brendan13
scottyshades

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer is easily in my top 5 beers of all time (so far) and my #1 BSPA. Had this bottled and on tap, both equally enjoyable
A: Massive white, frothy head that poured beautifully into the snifter
S: very fragrant, I noticed a yeasty, fruity melody which is the best memory of the beer I have
T: Is this really an 8.5% beer? I could not notice the alcohol at ALL. Earthy, spicy, fruity, yeasty
MF: perfect body for the style
D: This beer is soo good I could drink this all year long

Unfortunately, this is one of my favorite beers and it happens to be expensive for a college student, however every time I'm in town with my parents, I'm ordering a Duvel.

10-17-2007 02:58:01 | More by scottyshades
champ103

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Huge white head with a lot of bubbles rising to the top, other than that, a bright golden color (looks like a pilsner). Leaves a ton of lace on the side of the glass.

S: Faint hops, malt, yeast with floral and citrus (still reminds me of a pilsner)

T: Complex spices with a little alcohol burn. Hops, malt and citrus are present with a good amount of banana flavors.

D: Good for how high the alcohol content is, but it is still very noticable. Don't drink this too fast.

I like this beer a lot, but Belgian strong pale ales are not my favorite. As I have noted, this reminds of a pilsner but with more alcohol. Duvel is one of the best example of a Belgian strong pale ale though.

10-16-2007 20:48:25 | More by champ103
Patrick999

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

750 ML bottle of Duvel....I admit, I didn't get the pour right until the last pour. Even though I "poured unhurriedly" into my Duvel tulip, the beer I poured was almost all head. As I said, I didn't get it right until the end. I don't think there's a tougher beer out there to pour correctly....but once I did so, it's a solid 5 in appearance. Liquid right at the level of the "Duvel" lettering, head the rest of the way up.

Smell - big, phenolic aromas, a little cotton candy. Spicy too...Duvel always strikes me as a fairly odd, distinctive-smelling beer. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Taste - that Belgian candi sugar taste, some sour mash, and a fair bit of spiciness. Mouthfeel not as sharp with carbonation as you might think, given the enormous head - goes down with ease.

Drinkability, forget about it. In my opinion, every BSPA worth its salt should score a solid 4.5 or above in drinkability, but this sets the standard. You could, if so inclined, drink this until you pass out. It's a dangerous beer - feels way too light and fluffy for 8.5%. Incredible.

10-13-2007 22:25:11 | More by Patrick999
Poser

Alabama

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a light golden yellow topped with a thick, foamy head. The top is solid white, thick, frothy and never seems to completely go away. The appearance is just exceptional. Smell is a little more subtle than I would have expected but there are definitely some spices and sweet malts present. Goes down very smooth and creamy with a layered taste that you can't quite explain the first time. There's some sweet malts, some bitterness, even a hint of earthy texture.

If I was stuck on a deserted island with nothing but an infinite supply of Duvel, I would consider myself lucky.

10-13-2007 01:21:54 | More by Poser
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Acquired from grub courtesy of the Birthday Club 2, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a bright yellow color with a large foamy white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of bananas, light malts, Belgian yeast, some spice and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a strong sourness and flavors of Belgian yeast and spices. There’s a mild hops presence and a thin malt character. The after-taste is slightly bitter as there isn’t very much sweetness throughout the taste to counteract the sourness and bitterness.

M: Very crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean and very dry finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easy, not too filling, nice kick, good representation of style, I had tried this beer at a tasting once long ago and didn’t like it very much, however, that was before I had tried many Belgian beers. I liked many Belgian beers that I tried since then and realized that I may not have given this beer a fair shot, thus I was anxious to give this beer another try. However, I was disappointed again. I realize now that I simply don’t like this beer as much as I appreciate its craftmanship.

10-11-2007 04:57:00 | More by TheManiacalOne
kwakwhore

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Beautiful clear, gold color with an ample white head which leaves a huge amount of lacing on the glass.
Apples, pears, hay, in the aroma.
Some apple like flavors, candy sweetness along with some mildly bitter hops, a bit of spice. very pleasant and easy to drink.
Mouthfeel is pleasantly carbonated.
Very drinkable for 8.5% but one of these is enough for me if I still have to drive home.

10-10-2007 04:39:11 | More by kwakwhore
redneckchugger

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

poured into my chimay chalice.
pours, light, bolden and clear, full two inches of soft foamy head, with carbonation rising in an unending stream from the bottom.
smells of bread, bannana, yeast, malt, and alcohol.
taste is bannans, ripe fruit, figs, bread, yeast, malt, hops, and citrus notes.
smooth in the mouth, still highly carbonated, slight boozey feel, . this beer is nearly flawless imo. without a doubt the best looking beer i have ever seen, best head retention, good lacing. This is what all other beers , of any style, should strive for.

10-10-2007 00:40:18 | More by redneckchugger
MMAJYK

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Beautiful golden yellow with 3 fingers of lace that sticks around for the duration of the beer.

S- Light but lively. A real wake-up for the taste you are about to endure.

T- Excellent flavor! Full flavor that does not go overboard. Would never suspect this from an 8.5% beer!

M- Tingly and overly refreshing! Lace sticks around in your mouth and on the glass.

D- For an 8.5%, it is very drinkable. This clean tasting belgian is one of the most drinkable beers I have had to date! Anyone from the novice, to the expert will be quite impressed with this beer.

I will have to say this is one of my favorite beers of all time. I urge EVERYONE to try this beer and give it your own rating.

10-08-2007 15:13:31 | More by MMAJYK
Rainintheface

4.43/5  rDev +4%

11.2 oz bottle. Date: 01/2010

A: clear, pale gold with amazing foamy, cratered white head with fantastic retention. highly carbonated. foam clings to the glass, what a sight

S: faint hops, grassy, floral hints. a little sweet

T: malt up front, some hop bitterness a little spicy, i think it's pepper i detect

M: foam on the top lip - like a kid with chocolate milk. light body with high carbonation, making it quite crisp. slightly dry finish

D: awesomely drinkable. I"m glad I picked up the 4 pack

I waited a long time to buy this, for some unknown reason. It certainly lives up to it's hype.

10-07-2007 19:46:50 | More by Rainintheface
sirpsycho

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

From bottle into glass, best before date 4/2009. Nice golden color. Head was frothy and full. Taste was kinda spicy, hoppy, citrusy, carbonated. Not what I was expecting after hearing about this from so many people. Thought I was going to be blown away, but then again, maybe it's just not not my favorite style of beer.

10-06-2007 11:28:42 | More by sirpsycho
goschool

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: The pour is a cloudy light golden color with a couple fingers of foamy white head that gets smaller, but never fades.

Smell: This is the classic (This is going to be a recurring theme) Belgian strong pale ale nose. Fruity esters bring pears and gala apples. Behind that is a musky hoppiness, followed by a touch of pepper. Unfortunately, the aroma isn't doesn't quite pack the punch I had hoped for.

Taste: Whatever the nose lacks in intensity, the flavor profile makes up for. Again, the fruity esters bring pear and apples up front, followed by pepper, and hops in the mid-palate, and some funk-the-funk Belgian yeast before a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: This brew is medium-bodied and dry with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: This is the classic BSPA. It's fundamentally stunning and dangerously drinkable.

10-06-2007 07:27:45 | More by goschool
marcpal

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a Duvel chalice glass..

A: Very light coloring, ridiculously large pillow on top that I have rarely seen on any other beer. Added a lot to the experience of the beer.

S: Spicey aroma to the beer, nothing overwhelming.

T: Spice is much stronger in the taste than in the smell. The back-taste after swallow leaves a whole different flavor and great taste for this beer. I tend to notice the alcohol on the back end but not in a bad way, and not as strong as is.

M: Very very smooth and dominated by the residual head that sticks throughout.

D: Again, noticed the alcohol but still a beer that is much too drinkable for its 8.5%

09-29-2007 14:59:24 | More by marcpal
jar2574

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Lovely white frothy head that dissapears only very slowly. The head explodes as you pour the beer. Light yellow color, plenty of carbonation. Bubbly lacing clings to the sides on the way down.

Smell -- hops, a light scent, but inviting.

The taste is smooth, buttery, hops and slight bitterness. But it's very well balanced with maltiness and a touch of spices. The mouthfeel is wonderful and this is very easy to drink. It would make a great session beer. The alcohol is extremely well hidden, so watch out!

09-29-2007 00:02:38 | More by jar2574
pwoods

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

330ml stubby brown bottle from Party Source poured into an oversized wine glass. Best by 3/2010.

A: Big ass pillowy head. Nice retention throughout and very strong lacing. Poured very slowly resulting in a perfectly clear golden color.

S: Juicy acidic fruits along with some floral hops. In the back of my mind I keep thinking witbier. Slight presence of alcohol.

T/M: First taste makes me think witbier, too. Has a strange tasting bitterness to it that leads to the alcohol and big medicinal phenols. Citrus twist at the end for a dry finish. Higher carbonation makes it pretty light on the palate.

D: Has a very different taste than what I was expecting. It's not bad but not something I'll get often. Easy to drink and refreshing, though.

09-25-2007 20:12:55 | More by pwoods
bradley194

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

This is a really nice beer. It is actually one of my personal favorites. It pours a medium goldish color and starts off with a two finger head which very slowly goes down.

The smell is great; citrus (especially orange), hoppy. Very nice.

The taste has a fairly strong hop flavor to it; to me the bitterness of it is very minimal and there is a nice balance of carbonation. It has a strong citrus taste to me. It is almost like a really nice champagne.

Overall I would give this a 4.5 out 5. It is really complex and big tasting. You have to give it a couple of sips to really get a lot of the complexity out of it.

I would recommend it to anyone.

09-24-2007 04:30:30 | More by bradley194
Overlord

3.4/5  rDev -20.2%

Despite the many glowing reviews, this is one of my least favorite Belgian beers.

Pours a glowing yellow with a big white head. The taste is ... strange. Bone dry, some interesting spices, a bit of yeast with a malty backbone. Upon repeating sipping, the spicy yeastiness didn't really agree with me.

Overly carbonated.

09-23-2007 06:18:12 | More by Overlord
PittBeerGirl

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Poured into my Chimay chalice; Unfortunately it only held 9 or so of my 11.2 oz of Duvel. Without the last two ounces this brew was pretty transparent and just looked like another tripel so I drank just enough to get the rest of the bottle in the glass and the last 2 oz. really made a difference in appearance and mouthfeel. I'm going to have to get myself a Duvel tulip glass.

A-Very cloudy translucent pale golden yellow body that pours with 2 fingers but eventually fades to a wonderful 1 finger smooth and creamy white head. Lots of lacing is left behind in the glass. A volcano of tiny bubbles constantly rises to the top the whole time. Cloudiness is uniform but yeast sediment can be seen constantly stirring with the bubbles.

S- This brew has a great smell but it doesn't show as much promise as every other characteristic. The smell is rather light. What dominates the nose is a combination of spicy yeast and spicy hops with a hint of hop bitterness. What I would expect from a good saison but it doesn't highlight the complexity of this brew.

T- A wonderful balance of citrus, peppery spice, pear, spicy yeast, and a bready yeast sweetness upfront. The finish is much more dry and clean cut with a bouquet of bittering and refreshing hops making their presence along with a peppery spiciness and the slightest presence of an alcohol acidity/warmth. What lingers is a magnificent combination of yeast, spiciness, and just a touch of bitterness and sweetness.

M- Amazing. Medium carbonation and light body. Texture is delicate and velvety-very smooth and creamy. The mouthfeel even lingers with the taste. excellent.

D- Well after the initial pour and throughout this review I only have one sip or two left of the Duvel. 11.2 ounces was certainly not enough of this brew. This is an excellent example of a BSPA (my favorite style) and one I will purchase again and again. The ABV is almost undetectable and this is one that's complexity will have you sipping and sipping again.

09-13-2007 04:13:39 | More by PittBeerGirl
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

This one erupted into my glass like a volcano,massive,rocky,pillow like head that was gorgeous,what a sight,with lots of sticky lacing.The color was a hazy cloudy yellow with sparkling like bubbles,made for a perfect beer picture.
The aroma is fruity and citrus with some peppery to it and a little kinda like brandy.
It goes down creamy and the spice flavors hit you half way with a dryness and some bitterness towards the end.
Full body to this one with the feel of the spices with the pepper to it.
This is an excellant beer,just sit down and relax and enjoy,the flavors all blend in just superb with just the right touch of spices and bitterness and that creamy feel to it.The 8.1% alcohol,hell man,you can't even tell.Duvel is a little on the pricey side but worth every penny.Do give this one a try,well worth it...excellant!!

09-13-2007 02:36:05 | More by GrimmReaper
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

wow, 1010 review as of this writing. How often does that happen in my beers reviewed list? I have had this often enough but have strayed into other areas. I decided to have a go for the football weekend and shared a bottle with my brother. Perfect as always. With all the other descriptions on flavors I'll pass and just note that once again I find the easy to get (for me) and in my backyard is damn good. In this case the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.

09-10-2007 21:10:56 | More by barleywinebrewer