Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Deconstructionis

West Virginia

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%

This is a hard beer to pin down. I'm not a huge fan of Belgian ales but then this is not really typical of Belgian ales

. It's way fruitier and more estery than I usually like but yet it somehow works, but just barely.

It's a hazy yellow with the most monstrous head ever. Huge and the word I usually use --persistent-- doesn't begin to do it justice. I think if you left it alone it would be perpetual; the beer would evaporate eventually but the head would simply petrify and be discovered by 23rd Century archeologists.

The aroma is yeasty and fruity with something else I can't describe in the background-- maybe rye bread or some spice. It is also very volatile for some reason; even with the huge head, you get a lot of vapors.

Tthe taste is extremely tart, fruity and on the verge of being cloying but it somehow finished very clean with just a hint of the bitter hops. It's not like the Trappist Ales and Lambics but there is noticeable alcohol warmth. Again, when /i describe the beer, there are alot of individual characteristics that are not usually to my liking, but for some reason I do like this.

The body is medium and it's to the dry side despite the sweetness, if that makes sense. The mouth feel is bubbles; it has extremely intense carbonation-- maybe more than any beer I've ever had including American macros. It is almost overwhelming and if you drink too much it feels as though it might come out your nose before you can swallow.

I'd label this more interesting and unique than drinkable. It's good but I doubt I'd ever be inclined to drink more than half a 750 and even that's pushing it.

09-20-2006 20:57:21 | More by Deconstructionis
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.25/5  rDev 0%

I have had and reviewed this before, but I felt that this was such a classic and my palate has changed so much since then, I should revisit it.
It poured into the proper glassware a cloudy pale yellow with a big snow white foamy head that stayed around for several minutes. Thick sticky lacing clung like webs to the sides of the glass. Constant streams of CO2 bubbles travel upward fueling the foamy cap. Nice look ale, this.
Smell is fruit, hops, and alcohol and in that order. Almost reminds me of a toned down tripel.
Taste is more of the smell, with a semi-dryness to it countered by an appearance of cooked fruit. This is a little better than I remember it being, or rather, I am enjoying it more this time around.
I'll certainly buy Duvel again.
*I poured this from a 330mL bottle with a best by date of 03 2007.

09-15-2006 23:28:08 | More by SilentSabre
Osiris9588

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a pale golden color from a brown, 330ml bottle with a freshness date of 03/09. The carbonation results in a cyclone of spouting up through the center.

The white fluffy head takes up half of the tulip, it's creamy and stiff and I think would stick around forever if I didn't eventually take a sip. A merengue dome solidifies a good half inch abouve the rim. The foam around the edges eventually recedes, but a puffy, marshmallow plateau remains in the center. The immense lacing clings to all contours of the glass in an intricate spider web pattern.

The fragrant aroma consists of citrus, apple, honey, clove, yeast and malt. Flavors of lemon, orange, apple, pear, candied malt, clove, caramel, subtle hobs, and warming alcohol. The mouth is light and vibrant with ample carbonation, yet complex. Plenty of citrus dancing on the front, mellowing into a mid section of malt and spice, then finishing with a touch of hop, a citrus aftershock, alcohol, and a refined touch of syrup sticking sweetly to the lips.

This ale is highly drinkable.I could always have four pack of Duvel on hand, like Joe Six Pack keeps a sixer of Bud.

09-15-2006 18:23:26 | More by Osiris9588
MurphyMacManus

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750mL bottle into snifter

Appearance: golden/ blonde with 2 inches of fluffy white foam. In short, eye candy.

Smell: Saaz hop spiciness and some pale malt, with the malt coming through more as it warms.

Taste: Slightly sweet and dry at once, again with the Saaz hop spiciness and mild fruitiness from the ale yeast.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light in body, which disguises the alcohol very well. Carbonation tickles.

Drinkability: I've learned the hard way that I have to be careful with this one. It looks like a Pilsener, but drinking it like a Pilsener is a bad idea. A sipping beer.

09-15-2006 03:58:37 | More by MurphyMacManus
bigdeuce

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

This is, without a doubt, the greatest looking beer of all time!! It looks as if someone put cool whip in yer brew. Great creamy head, never goes away with some nice fruit esthers. Lacing all the way down the glass. Smooth beer and highly drinkable as the alcohol is undetectable. Feels remarkable on the palate. I highly recommend this one and it is resonably priced.

09-14-2006 04:03:01 | More by bigdeuce
BlindPig

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

This is a truly good beer and usually is a style I don't like.
It pours with a huge white head that fills up about half the Duvel tulip glass. Is a golden color that is very light cloudy (probably from the yeast). The head has great head retention that ends up going into what looks like a crumbled up white silk sheet just truly beautiful lacing.
The nose is filled with bananas and other light fruits and maybe a hint of lemon. Has some sweet malts and European hops.
The mouth has these fruits all over it. Also some light grains and maybe some bread also. Theres sweetness in the taste and aftertaste. As warms you do get a very light warming in back from alcohol.
Is thin/medium body with medium carbonation. Crisp and maybe a bit sticky.
This is a very good brew. Great for a nice hot day. Could drink this on a regular basis.

09-12-2006 03:22:36 | More by BlindPig
Nesued

South Carolina

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Short stout brown bottle. Freshness date on the back label showing "month/year" with a batch number below.

Appearance - Clear pale/golden color. Pour was complex, and even with the "warning label" regarding the relaxed pour, I over filled twice! Wow amd I out ofpractice!! The head, good god the head! Big, white and looks like a well-whipped marangue.

Smell - Yeast, yeast and more yeast (and malt)! There is a peppery spicy bite to the smell that barely comes thru the yeast presence.

Taste - Now that I've written the "Appearance" and "Smell" sections, the head has finally decreased low enough to enjoy! Very creamy presentation (due to the carbonation) with a crisp presence. I would have expected this to last for days due to amount of carbonation feeding the sip, but it cleared well with little after taste. A majority of what I tasted was a excellent yeast-based and malt-based balance with a bit of a spice finish.

Mouthfeel - wow, the depth is so pronounced. This is as close to perfect of a balance as I've had in recent memory. This is a dense beer, but not heavy at all. The density does not feel totally due to the carbonation present at pour. This is all taste, not air.

Drinkability - This is one of my top 5 beers. Please pass me another, and another. Not at the same time however, this 8.5% adv will knock you on your arse!

09-12-2006 00:08:11 | More by Nesued
bonbright7

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

I have been passing Duvel on the shelf for a while since I had it in France last Summer. Tonight, I saw a fresh case being put up in the Whole Foods, so I lifted one out for my cart.

I chilled it down in the fridge and then poured the golden ale into my 50cl glass to a great looking head. The first smell was very yeasty and tart. I couldn't put it down as I was looking for more variants in the flavor.

I was rewarded with all kinds flavors as the ale settled down and I was thinking how this reminded me of Ommegang Witte, Hennepin,
and a few Hefewiesen kind of beers.

09-09-2006 02:21:35 | More by bonbright7
clemtig76

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

Picked up a 4 pack at Alpine Beverage in Helen, GA on a recent visit. Pours a beautiful bright gold color with a head that just won't quit. Even with a relaxed pour, the head just billows up thick, creamy, rocky and just will not go away. Nice thick lacing clings to the glass. Very complex aroma of fruit, citrus, yeast and spice. Taste is well balanced and complex. Hinds of fruit, peppery yeast and just the right amount of bitteness to balance the malt sweetness. A true classic and one to savor!

09-07-2006 18:02:07 | More by clemtig76
beakerboy

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Part of Liquor Barn's ultimate brew crew- Aug '06 Belgian Ales

A: Pale gold color with champagne bubbles and a mountainous white head.

S: The aroma of ripe fruit dominates

T: Some floral hop bitterness on top of ripe fruit.

M: Lots of carbonation with medium body

D: A very good belgian ale of any style.

09-06-2006 00:15:11 | More by beakerboy
jasonjlewis

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Great head, good retention. But damn, this beer goes a little too crazy with the carbonation.

Smell is strong, almost watered down liquor like at first. The hops come through on the nose.

Taste: smooth, balanced. I can taste a little bit of darker malts in the mix. Caramel malts?

Mouthfeel: crisp

Drinkability: easy to drink sessionable beer. Too bad it costs a shitload. It's not really worth the price IMO

09-05-2006 05:23:18 | More by jasonjlewis
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured a hazy, extremely pale, straw-like yellow with tiny bubbles flowing up the side of the glass. An absolutely ridiculous head - huge, fluffy, rocky, like a huge cloud floating on my beer. Terrific lacing as well. Smells of yeast, cloves, spiciness, white grapes. Taste is extremely crisp. Touches of yeast, bready, clove, some bananas, spices. It starts off rather sweet and evolves into a very tart and semi-dry finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied but feels very light, champagne-like carbonation - tons of tiny little bubbles. This beer, in many ways, does remind me of a fine glass of champagne. Maybe Bud, with their moniker "Champagne of Beers" could use a lesson or two from the Belgians. This is the true "Champagne of Beers."

09-04-2006 01:18:34 | More by Doomcifer
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured the 11.2oz. bottle to a goblet.

A: Enorrmous chunky/fluffy white head, with great retention - almost 3 fingers high - there are very few beers that come close to this kind of rockiness. A hazy straw-colored golden with copious amounts of tiny carbonation.

S: Lots of clove, spiciness. Also, some lightly herbal grass & wheat.

T: Mild fruits, orange. A bit of banana ester. Some wonderful clove & spices. A beautiful beer with expressive malt and yeast. Initially slightly sweet, but evolves to a hint of sourness then a dry finish. Alcohol is well-masked.

M: Clean & crisp with a slight prickle, evidently due to the constant streams of carbonation! Medium body but with a nice, lighter mouthfeel.

D: A delicious drink, seems too easy to not stop at one. "Devilishly" sneaky big ABV. A personal favorite which I recommend highly. If 'drinkable' is found in the dictionary, there's a picture of Duvel next to it, which is kinda scary when the ABV is 8.5%.

09-01-2006 23:39:42 | More by msubulldog25
BlackAngus

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance is fantastic...crystal clear pale yellow, HUGE rocky, meringue-like head that lasts forever.

Smell is spicey, floral, fruity.

Taste is actually something of a letdown. I get a distinct cidery flavor I can only guess is the Belgian candi sugar. Otherwise, a crisp, sweet, citrusey flavor.

Mouthfeel is light, with champagne-like carbonation. Very dry on the finish.

Drinkable, definitely drinkable.

08-31-2006 01:57:50 | More by BlackAngus
mmcave

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

This beer has a lovely lushes head that rises to the top off its glass. The effervescence is comparable to Champagne. The sent is of citrous, cloves, pleasant mild alcohol vapors and so much more. The taste is wonderful. If you allow it to wander to the tip of your tongue it will over power your taste with it's wonderful carbonation. It's delicious, it only makes me want more ( in fact I am about to go to the store and buy another four pack). This beer is amazing, both refreshing and delicious, but one must be careful, on an empty stomach it will pack quite a wallop. Thank you Duvel

08-29-2006 01:36:27 | More by mmcave
DaveFL1976

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

I'd had Duvel quite a few times in the US, and then quite a few more times when I went on holiday in Belgium. Belgium's a great place. You can pick up a 4-pack of Duvel in any gas station. In any deli. In any food establishment in the country. It's just great.
The beer itself is my benchmark for Belgian Ales. Beautiful golden body. Fluffy white head. Sweet, malty nose. Sweet, sugar-like taste with that fantastic bite at the end thanks to the high alcohol content and the yeast strain. Mouthfeel is light and welcoming, and drinkability is scary good.

08-23-2006 20:22:36 | More by DaveFL1976
HoustonTX

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Duvel take 2.

Pours a nice pale yellow. Rapid moving carbonation streams emit upwards. Massive white head retains excellently. Smell of light pears, malt sweetness, and spice. Taste upfront is tangy and crisp. Maltyness upfront with a solid spicy hop backbone. Low profile florals. Fruits are there, but only come in lightly. This beer fits the Belgian Pale Ale category perfectly. Duvel is crisp and light on the palate, and is dangerously drinkable.
Duvel is one of the best, much respect goes out to this beer. Definitely recommended.

08-23-2006 00:46:57 | More by HoustonTX
janubio

Spain

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Very biig foamy head that last long. Very pale yellow color. It smells very sugary, with hints of coriander and clove. Flowers and prunes too.
Citric flavor, with spices, coriander and fruits in the mouth. Citrusy, bready and flowery. Very complex you keep discovering things as you drink.

08-22-2006 21:24:14 | More by janubio
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev 0%

pours bright yellow with a big fluffy head. it actually overflowed my tulip glass just a little as i was pouring. after a couple minutes the head drops, but it leaves lots of heavy meringue-like lace.

aroma is great. spicy. clove. orange peel.

taste is nice. noticeable alcohol presence, but not overpowering. slight bitterness. spicy, with noticeable clove and a little pepper. nice dry finish. some alcohol warmth on the way down. nice malty presence that comes through more as it warms.

mouthfeel is good. doesn't feel like it's over 8%, other than the warmth in the finish. nice and dry.

drinkability is good. as i said above, it's dry and hides the alcohol fairly well, which leads to a nice, drinkable beer.

08-22-2006 02:32:34 | More by grub
zebedee

United Kingdom (England)

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

At 2 quid a bottle, this stuffs dearer than petrol, so here’s hoping it doesn't taste like it too! Admittedly, I've already had this before, but the glassware left something to be desired. I still haven't got me tulip glasses yet, but anyway, I digress.

A - Poured into a large bowl type goblet, which I guess, is just a big wine glass. A pale straw coloured liquid flowed from the stubby bottle, filling the glass and producing a 3cm head of fluffy, almost pillow like froth. Actually, 30 seconds or so after pouring, the head increased somewhat in size, fed from a constant upward stream of fine bubbles, until it was teetering over the brim. A marvellous sight indeed. All I need now is a flake (cliché). Plenty of lacing left on the glass as it slowly emptied.

S - Spicy, citrus. I picked up a strong alcohol smell initially, but as the beer warmed/oxidised it faded. Cloves, cardamoms, faint cinnamon lemons and tangerines. Not overpowering in the least. Very pleasant indeed.

T - The first sip, after fighting my way through the deep sumptuous head was dominated by alcohol. It kind of reminded me a bit of gold label and special brew from my formative years on various parks and bus stops. Not good. However, subsequent sips produced a more satisfying result. The alcohol taste diminished, leaving a faintly sweet citrus and clove taste, with a hint of freshly baked farmhouse bread. This stuff must be wholesome.

M - I wasn't hoping for something chewy here, and I didn't get it. Quite a light mouth feel, subtly carbonated. In fact, I feel the light mouth feel of this complements the taste nicely. Nice residual coating after the beer descends the gullet.

D - The price and the alcohol content are prohibitive for me, being the piss poor lightweight I am. However, I don't think I'd want to session on this. It seems too good to just knock back without savouring every drop. Besides, Belgian beer, in quantity, has the tendency to put me on my arse, so there.

I'm not too sure if I scored this beer in excess of its worth, as I haven't reviewed that many beers, or tasted that many of this particular style. However, even Carling swilling philistine friends of mine have been impressed with this, so maybe it deserves its score.

08-21-2006 23:50:49 | More by zebedee
Absumaster

Netherlands

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Duvel is just a style on it's own and although I was somewhat sceptical before reviewing it, I have to agree with a lot of people.

Color is bright yellow golden and it has a extremely stable head and a lot of carbonation.
Smell is odd, sulfuric with bananas and the alcohol is present.
Taste is dry and bitter like a good lager, but with more malt and alcohol in it. There was also a kind of greenish taste, but this is probably the DMS. I also have some associations with hay or straw. Could this be the malt or the hop?
Duvel is very drinkable, but hits you in the head after 3 glasses and even then I don't feel like quiting. Body is pretty empty.

08-19-2006 16:59:55 | More by Absumaster
scoobybrew

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

I poured this beer into a tulip glass. The color is a clear light gold and it has an incredibly frothy head with great retention. Looking at this beer, it says, "Drink me!” The aroma is primarily malty, with some noticeable yeast fruitiness. There are hints of hops in the aroma, but it's mostly dominated by the malt and yeast. As it warms up a bit, the alcoholic content is noticeable in the aroma. Upon tasting, as with the aroma, the malt and citrus-like yeast character are out front with a very light hop accents on the finish. As it warms up, the alcoholic strength is more evident. It has a medium-light body with high carbonation.

This is fine Belgian golden ale and a good example of the style. This is probably not my favorite within the style, but very good none-the-less.

08-19-2006 13:52:53 | More by scoobybrew
Regenpak

Netherlands

3.13/5  rDev -26.4%

Fortunately for me this beer is still available in its "real" 33 cl bottle and not in the boring "euro" 30 cl bottles. It is such a well-known special beer here in the Netherlands that the shape of the bottle is referred to as "Duvelflesje" (Duvel bottle) even though there are many more beers bottled in it.

Poured in its own wide chalice it creates a thick head that slowly settles. The color is yellow with lots of bubbles. The smell, like the taste has a certain bitterness in it that reminds me of pilsner beer. This is the reason I shied away from it for years but lately I learned to appreciate it more. Oh, you live and learn!

08-18-2006 16:51:35 | More by Regenpak
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Effervescent Spanish doubloon gold beneath a massive alabaster head of frothily creamy foam. I don't have a Duvel glass, but I do have a flared-top snifter that is almost identical other than the decal. The cap retains a melty, bubbly, 'scoop of mousse' look as it falls and leaves a wonderful array of abstract patterned lace on all available surfaces. As I knew it would be, this is one gorgeous beer.

The nose is no slouch either. It's immensely golden fruity (apples and pears) with more than a little musky hoppiness and an equal amount of spicy yeastiness. BSPAs are similar to my favorite Belgian style (tripels) and this one is the equal of all but the very best of those. A wee whiff of alcohol adds strength of purpose.

At long last, the great Duvel has come into contact with my taste buds and I have to say that it's everything that I'd hoped it would be. It's amazing how such an aggressively flavored beer can be so light in the mouth, so gentle, so dreamily drinkable. I think that Brouwerij Duvel has it wrong when they recommend drinking this fine ale at 40-50 degrees. I started my bottle out at 50 and the flavor is becoming deeper and more complex as it warms.

The flavor profile is a nearly perfect combination of sweet and snappy pears, lemon zest and peppery-clovey yeast. Just when I think that one member of that trio is most dominant, the others catch up and overtake it. I'm stunned at how compulsively drinkable this beer is; my hand keeps reaching for the glass instead of recording my impressions. As with all great high ABV beer, alcohol is noticed on the palate, but is such an integral part of the whole that eliminating it would make for a lesser flavor experience.

There's too much flavor, too much underlying sweetness and too much glorious hoppy bitterness for the finish to be considered clean, but then I've always though that clean finishes were overrated. The final few ounces (which have come much sooner in this review than usual) are even more chock full of flavor and even more peppery, more tartly fruity, more noble hoppy and more delicious.

How do they make the body/mouthfeel so cumulus cloud light and airy, yet substantial enough to keep the beer in contact with the taste buds for so long? I got used to highly carbonated Belgian beer a while ago and now wouldn't have it any other way. This stuff is pure pleasure in the mouth and the angelic mouthfeel is a big reason why it's disappearing so devilishly fast.

I had a pretty good idea that I would like Duvel when I finally got around to trying it. I didn't realize, however, just how truly special it is. I don't know if 'it's a style unto itself' as the brewery claims, but it's certainly the best BSPA that I've ever had the pleasure to consume and is the new gold standard by which all others will now be judged.

08-14-2006 15:27:04 | More by BuckeyeNation
mjc410

Vermont

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from the 75 cL bottle into a La Moneuse tulip. Easily generates a gargantuan head, just as tall as the liquid volume. Color is bright golden like a pils, but appears thicker. Very rapid bubble rising, and lots of lacing.

Smells of spicy noble hops (again, like a pils), yeast, candi, and alcohol. A nice odor.

Very grainy, bitter finish, preceded by a floral hop note. This is truly like a Belgo-fied double pils. A wonderful, spicy alcoholic taste.

Mouthfeel is medium thick, and very highly carbonated. A delight.

Overall, a good drinker, and a wonderful revisit.

08-13-2006 02:32:18 | More by mjc410