Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
maddogruss

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

I heard raves about this beer and it definitely defended its reputation.

A: Poured a light gold body with a very thick white head with excellent retention. The head of this beer stays with the beer from start to finish with excellent lacing.

S: A sweet malty smell that was quite enticing.

T: A nice and sweet malty taste. Don't really taste the alcohol at first, but it seemed to settle to the bottle of the glass as I got a decent sized mouthful of it later. Still, tasted very good.

M: Nice and light and pretty refreshing for a high ABV beer.

D: Definitely a good, drinkable beer. Smooth, great tasting, and very refreshing. The gulp of alcohol I got later on in the beer was not too tasty, but other than that one sip, it was an excellent beer.

08-22-2007 14:53:15 | More by maddogruss
illidurit

4.43/5  rDev +4%

I realized I hadn't drank any Duvel since getting a Duvel glass, so I thought I'd revisit this classic properly.

The 'perfect pour' according to Duvel's website comprises liquid halfway up the lettering and head from there to the rim of the glass. I manage this feat effortlessly, confirming the spot-on engineering of the trusty tulip. The beer is clear pale gold and the head is a bright dense white. The head is so perfect in this glass that even though it's about 3 inches high, the liquid slips right underneath as you tip the glass, saving my nose and upper lip from an embarrassing beerstache.

Smell is appley, flowery, yeasty and sweet. Banana phenols and hints of spice and pear.

Taste is of green apple and soft mellow fruits, citrus twang, wheaty malty background with floral and herbal hops. Phenols and spiciness are in the flavor as well as the smell.

Really rich and creamy. Full carbonation and body, beautifully smooth. Very easy to drink.

08-18-2007 01:40:42 | More by illidurit
John_M

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into an oversize Duvel tulip glass, this beer pours a solid gold color with very impressive carbonation action (bottle conditioning is quite apparent). The beer has very good head retention and impressive lacing. This is a very impressive looking beer. The beer has a beautiful nose, with a lovely marriage of sweet belgium malt, spice and refreshing bitterness. The beer has a really fine mouthfeel, with an expansive, mouthfilling presence. The flavor profile is very nice, if not hugely impressive. Good, if somewhat understated, flavors of apple and melon. The beer has some moderate sweetness, with just enough bitterness to keep it all in check. The beer has a nice clean finish, with the 8.5% abv. well disguised. The beer is surprisingly drinkable.

Been a while since I had this beer. I had forgotten just how good it is.

08-15-2007 13:57:44 | More by John_M
BucBasil

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: Poured into the Duvel Tulip from the stubby bottle. "Pour Unhurriedly" the label told me, before explaining how I should prepare this precious brew. I followed the instructions, and what resulted was a full four-finger perfectly white, sparkley head that went right to the edge of the tulip. This magnificenthead sat atop a pure golden liquid. And when I say "pure gold" that's what I mean. A jet stream of bubbles risies from the middle of the bottom of the glass, due to the "D" etching in the glass. Fantastic.

Smell: Delicate honey sweetness. Crisp apples and clean alcohol finish out the nose. Very inviting, very clean and refreshing. There is a bit of hop twang somewhere in the mix there.

Taste: Creamy honey gives way to a light fruity taste, then finishes clean with a hint of spice and hop. As good of a taste as I could ask for, progressing through each new taste slowly, allowing its complexity to shine through. Mouthfeel is very crisp, and can become excessively so (biting) at times, revealing this beers only weakness in my eyes. However that fact says a lot about the quality of this beer, and the mouthfeel is still lightyears ahead of most beers out there right now.

Drinkability: This beer is ridiculously drinkable, making its 8.5% ABV that much more dangerous. I could go all day drinking this stuff, and I think that's why it's called the Devil. Duvel translates to "Devil."

Notes: Duvel is about as perfect a beer that I can think of. I often use it as a reference when reviewing other beers, and I think it exemplifies what a fine golden ale can be. Everything progresses naturally from pour to last sip, and creates a total sensory experience that must be experienced to believe. Also, this beer is incredibly available. I have found this beer at most stores I've been to, from ABC to several local liquor stores. If they don't have it, request it. I guarantee you won't be disappointed by this world class beer: a heavenly brew with a devilish smile.

08-11-2007 21:01:16 | More by BucBasil
enfield249

3.05/5  rDev -28.4%

A - Pours with a clear golden color. 3 fingers of white head. that lasts a good while.

S - I get some fruit and flower smells off this beer.

T - The flavor it self isn't bad at all. Flowers, some fruit.

M - This is a super dry beer. It feels like, not tastes, a dry red wine. The same kind of astringency. Kind of chalk like in the back of my mouth, and some decent alcohol flavor.

D - I'm underwhelmed by this beer. It's not bad, per se, but it is not my favorite. Like the French Canadians say "I think, maybe, not so good."

08-10-2007 00:06:03 | More by enfield249
cyrenaica

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

I had this beer on August 7, 2007 at 'Smokeless Joe' in Toronto. The beer was poured into a tulip and was a beautiful golden colour with a huge loose rocky white head that lasted longer than the beer. The aroma was hints of malt and some spice. The mouthfeel was light but with heavy heavy carbonation. The taste was slightly citrusy with a bitter aftertaste.

08-08-2007 02:05:04 | More by cyrenaica
BDIMike

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

I would call Duvel one of the best widely available beers in America. In my mind, it has the ultimate appearance of a beer. It has a look that makes you badly want to drink it. Once you do, there is no disappointment in any part of this beer. Great beer!

08-05-2007 02:35:40 | More by BDIMike
leviathan85

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

Picked up a bottle in a mixed 6er, pured into a large wine glass.

A: Great pour with a huge white head tat floated on top of the beer and billowed up over the rim of the glass.

S: Light fruits (def. some apple) and hints of yeast and hops.

T: Nothing wrong here, subtle and complex. But just not my cup of tea. Like a complex champaigne.

M: Very carbonated. Smooth.

D: Highly drinkable; alcohol isn't noticable. But at 8.5 abv this drinkability doesn'y get you anywhere really.

Overall a solid belgian ale. I would probably have this again paired with a steak or some lobster. But to relax and enjoy a high abv beer on its own; i can think of a number of different offerings that I'd prefer. When I want a beer I want to feel like I'm having a beer and this one just doesn't do it for me.

08-04-2007 06:56:47 | More by leviathan85
mnj21655

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

330 mL bottle best before 06 2009 poured into a Duvel tulip

Poured a pale straw-gold color with more than 2 fingers of pillowy, white head that never fully dissipates and great lacing. Great aroma, spicy and yeasty with hints of wheat. Taste is malts upfront followed by some spices and hops with a bit of fruits mixed in (pears and apples). Good mouthfeel, moderate carbonation and body. Drinkability is great as well. This stuff looks and tastes great and hides is 8.5% exceptionally well.

08-01-2007 23:08:24 | More by mnj21655
maltysfalcon

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a beautiful golden color with ample creamy froth. Flowery hops on the nose give it great aromatic character. Fuller in body than it looks, this is really well-balanced between a delicate bitterness and light malt flavors. The alcohol is prevalent but in-check. Well-done ale.

08-01-2007 01:49:41 | More by maltysfalcon
neenerzig

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversized wineglass. This beer was 90% head when poured. A very fluffy white and foamy head at that. Took a long time to settle before I could pour the rest of it in the glass. Even after having about 2-3 minutes to settle after first being poured the head was still over an inch thick. The beer itself is a nice cloudy light to medium golden color. the beer has very excellent lacing indeed. Has a fairly malty aroma along with some lemon and apple perhaps along with some spice. The taste is malty and sweet upfront with some fruit hints. Apple, banana, and citrus are present, followed by a trace of hops. It has crisp and frothy medium bodied mouthfeel. Moderate to heavy carbonation. Very easy to drink in the manner that great beer should be. This is one of the best Belgian beers I have ever had.

Eric

07-28-2007 05:08:46 | More by neenerzig
brewone

New Hampshire

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Nice floral note right off the bat. Slightly sweet with just a touch of hop aroma. Also a slight phenolic spice aroma
Thick white rocky head. The beer itself is nice pale gold color and crystal clear. Beautiful lace left on the glass through the end of the beer.
Flavor - slight bitterness noticeable along with a phenolic spicyness. Slight malt sweetness and flavor. Nice light malt and mild hop aftertaste. Taste some florally continental hops used. Saaz?
Light body with clean spicy finish. Slight alcohol warmth.
Very nice drinkable ale. I wanted another before the first was done. The aftertaste is very pleasant. I love the spicy floral hop flavor and aroma. Leaves me wanting more.

07-27-2007 23:50:26 | More by brewone
Halcyondays

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

330 mL bottle, poured into its own glass, a Duvel tulip,

A: Golden yellow, with a thick, white, billowing head, almost looks like a cumulonimbus cloud, excellent lacing all-around.

S: Spices, some lemon/orange, somewhat medicinal.

T: Lemon and other citrus upfront, pears, yeast esters, with a hoppy finish that is quite understated, from the Bohemian hops which are mentioned on the label.

M: Smooth, dry, spritzy, creamy, and phenolic.

D: Very good for an 8% beer, a classic of its style, Duvel is a great beer, quite simple really, but quite delicious.

07-23-2007 03:01:55 | More by Halcyondays
TechMyst

2.9/5  rDev -31.9%

Wow, this beer is rated pretty high on this site...Sorry, didn't really care for it. Got a taste of apple and plum, but the conditioning was way to harsh for me. This is one of those times where I tend to differ with the crowd. I do understand this style, but I don't care for this one...

07-22-2007 17:42:11 | More by TechMyst
entheogen

Alberta (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

I don't know why I put off this beer for so long. I feel like a massive idiot now.

Upon cracking the bottle and pouring, I got a 3 finger off-white head in a tulip glass. The beer itself is pale straw color and crystal clear, with streams of bubbles running from the bottom of the glass.
The bubbles making up the head are very uniform in size. Nifty.

I smell malt and sour green apple, mostly.

It tastes tart, fresh, and dry, and is very effervescent. Fresh flavors like straw, with fruity additions like bubblegum and pear. Snappy alcohol at the finish that does not feel hot. Delicious and never overbearing. Duvel is very smooth in the mouth. I will be coming back to this one for sure.

07-22-2007 01:38:06 | More by entheogen
saintwarrick

South Carolina

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

At long last I get a chance to sample this well-known and widely-available (except where I have lived) brew. It's hyped up so it has much to live up to. Perfect look to this beer in my tulip glass, pale golden straw color with a big fluffy and carbonated head - perfect 10. Aroma is fruity with some green apples. Taste is awesome, crisp and fruity like champagne, and this beer is evil (named after the devil and all), slipping in the alcohol, which is unnoticeable. Refreshing but a sipper.

This is one brew that lived up to the hype. Mmmmm, evil beer.

07-19-2007 06:25:09 | More by saintwarrick
bunnyhustle

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

What else can I say that everyone hasnt already? Poured from 750 mL bottle, best buy 11/09. Pops like a bottle of chamapne, pours a golden yellow with massive head, thick, rocky, and left large amounts of lace. Smell is of sour citrus, some alcohol, and other fruits, I swear I detect some banana and at times reminds me of a hefe. Taste is superb, thats the only way to describe. High carbonation and an almost creamy feel to it. This might be the best beer I've every had so I dont have too many words to describe it other than that. Only a 4 for drinkability as it does pack a punch to it so a couple glasses of this and I couldnt handle any more.

07-19-2007 05:01:07 | More by bunnyhustle
TheDragonTony

330 ml Bottle says it is best before January 2010. Opening the bottle I could feel the pressure release and even with a gentle pour I got 3/4 of a glass full of head, cloudy white head that would be absolutely wonderful if it wasn't dominating my glass completely.

Appearance: Wonderfully golden and clear with exceptional carbonation bubbles flowing freely up my glass, and the aforementioned beautiful white head.

Smell: Yeast and some hops are present, but mostly I smell apples and pears.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Silky smooth and very creamy. The active carbonation makes this ambrosia quite crisp as well. Hop bitterness up front, very fruity in the middle with spicy malt and esters as well. Finishes with a nice dry note.

Note: This is easily one of the best beers that I've ever had. Beyond that if the name (Devil) is anything to go by it is a compelling reason for me to sin more. Hmm... maybe I will take the label's advice and try to drink the rest of this four pack with "good-looking strangers."

07-19-2007 03:37:21 | More by TheDragonTony
evilbeefchan

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from tall 750ml bottle with cork/wire cage into large wine glass.

Pours golden, building up a thick foam with stiff peaks. Not sure if it was the glass, but did have the strings of bubbles stringing from the bottom to the top much like champagne.

Light residual lacing, thick wet foam dissapears after a minute

Beautiful transparent gold color, scent of Jasmine and Chrysanthemums

Initial hint of bitterness followed with light malty flavor. Hints of spice; pepper/cloves, very crisp.

Dry finish, bitterness that follows through the throat. May be 8.5% but is smooth throughout.

07-18-2007 21:48:11 | More by evilbeefchan
Night

Pours pure gold with strains of cloudy yeast here and there. Massive white angel-food-cake head billows up and lives forever; an iceberg of cream sits in the middle with big bubbly arcs all over the glass. Aroma reveals rich and sweet bread / dough malts, fruit and musty yeasts, and distant hop spiciness. Cream and flowers throughout. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and sharply effervescent with a dry quality. Flavor is well-matched to the nose with the addition of a considerable sourdough malt quality; notes of lemon and pepper from the hops. Aftertaste is primarily sour and tingly. In the end dry and a touch warm.

07-18-2007 04:36:41 | More by Night
irishkyle21

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

One of the most attractive beers in the world. The head rises over top of the glass and the bubbles never seem to slow down. A soft thick head that never quits. Huge blobs of lacing on the glass. Has a clear golden color that becomes rather hazy when the sediment makes its way in.

I do not have a great nose but this beer is powerfully fragrant with some floral hops, yeasty spiciness, just a touch of horse barn and alcohol.

A strong but delicate beer on the mouth not overwhelming but very complex. Slightly sweet and creamy with some bitterness, notes of light floral hops, a bit of sweet malt and a nice yeasty tang. Smooth all the way down a real treat from a country that knows there beer.

07-16-2007 06:17:28 | More by irishkyle21
umustdrink

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Served in a Duvel tulip (duh)

A - Pale light yellow color, slightly hazy. The legendary Duvel head! Thick and creamy and as tall as you want it, lasting forever. The wonderful head leaves behind strong lacing. I'd give it a 5.5 if I could.

S - Rich, creamy bubblegum yeast, sour cherries, earthy wheat stalks and some spicy peppery spices. Alcohol is slightly detectable.

T - Taste starts fizzy and thick, then the yeast takes over; bready and creamy and thick on the mouth with a bite, but different than a hop or carbonation bite. There's a short cherry-like sourness in there just before the finish, which is a thick yeastiness.

M - Medium to thick consistency with very slightly elevated carbonation.

D - Overall a solid beer. I'm glad I bought 4 of them.

07-16-2007 00:48:12 | More by umustdrink
BrewSomerville

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

Aroma: Lemon, clove, banana, orange peel. A very yeasty aroma.

Looks: Bright yellow/golden colour. It is fairly clear considering the natural conditioning in the bottle. Huge, gigantic, fast rising head. Head is very white. Good head retention, & good lacing.

Taste: Lemon, pepper, clove, banana, orange peel... it tastes just like it smells. There is some sort of malt flavour here as well, but it is hard to describe & it definately takes back seat to all of the yeasty flavours.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. The carbonation is crisp, prickly, & plentiful. It has a drying effect on your mouth.

Overall, I like it very much. It is a spicy, yeasty, yummy Beer. I will have some more in the near future.

07-15-2007 02:09:42 | More by BrewSomerville
edchicma

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a cloudy lemon with a billowy, pillow head. Smell was grassy with some wheat-like notes...subtle malt undertones. Taste was tart, snappy with a desert-dry finish. Dry, refreshing quality in mouthfeel, surprisingly hiding the 8.5 abv. Drinkability was good...not a guzzler due to dryness..a good choice for a leisurely summer's afternoon.

07-11-2007 12:10:44 | More by edchicma
goochpunch

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours out a bright golden body with tons of carbonation and the quintessential Duvel head: thick, fluffy, full. Forms a volcano-like plateau in the middle and leaves huge, chunky lacing on the glass. Smells of pale malts, bread, (saaz?) hops, white pepper, and yeasty, spicy phenols. Flavor starts off with bright maltiness; bringing lots of bread and honey. There is some crisp apple in the middle. Finishes abundantly spicy: spicy alcohol, spicy phenols, and spicy (and grassy) hops. Finishes dry with a nice finishing bitterness. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light for the abv and the carbonation wakes the palate with each sip. Wonderful beer that I haven't had in far too long.

07-09-2007 02:54:25 | More by goochpunch