Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
btighe428

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

This is my first beer review since becoming interested in beer outside the American macro scene. A tough beer to pour, it says "pour unhurriedly" right on the bottle and they mean it! You have to lay your glass nearly sideways and pour very slowly when starting to pour to avoid a huge head build up. Taste is good, and clean, with a little bite at the finish. Tastes fairly simliar to a pinsler except with loads and loads of flavor. A hint of fruit, and maybe a breath of peach are present too. I would like to try again!

07-31-2006 07:04:52 | More by btighe428
Backer2004

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Even though I could have tried a Duvel since October, when NC popped the cap, I always held this one in higher regard and wanted to wait until a special occassion. Last Saturday night was that unnamed special occassion.

Unfortunately, this was given to me to pour in a 20 oz. pint-type glass. Lots and lots of head, some due to my bad pouring. This one just typifies a very good Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Perfectly balanced with hops and malts, not hot at all (very smooth). Nice mouthfeel and easy to drink. I've enjoyed others by this style even better, but in my opinion, this one should be the standard of high quality..

07-30-2006 22:50:13 | More by Backer2004
instrumentality

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

I was limited to pint glasses for this one, which perhaps wasn't the best container. I poured the contents of this tiny bottle slowly enough where I didn't expect 2/3 of the glass to fill up with foam. It fizzed like a soft drink, and the fluffy, bubbly head took its time to settle, clinging to the sides of the glass and leaving a small cloud settling on the pale, transparent yellowish liquid beneath. I added more beer and once again, the head rocketed up. I waited a good 5-7 minutes, hoping that with time I could eventually empty the entire 11.2 oz bottle into the glass, but eventually I ran out of patience and decided to deal with the foam mustache I'd be receiving.

The smell, which shot out of the bottle as soon as I popped the cap, was a wet, malty, biscuity, and phenolic/band-aid odor.

The first sip (foam mustache included, although the foam was so light and fluffy that it was easy to get through to the liquid beneath) was very malty with piney, somewhat bitter hops and just a splash of banana, and a slight creaminess in the body. The alcohol was barely noticeable, amazingly enough considering the 8.5% ABV. A bit too much malt for my taste, but I could still appreciate the moderate complexity of this beverage.

I had Duvel once before and I remember not particularly enjoying it. I'm still not overwhelmed by it, but it's definitely palatable and very easy to drink. I'm not so sure about paying $3 for a 11.2 oz. bottle, though, but then the liquor store where I picked it up isn't known for reasonable prices (I also paid $10.99 for a Chimay Blue).

I'll grab this one again, preferably in a 4- or 6-pack if it's available.

07-29-2006 23:26:12 | More by instrumentality
Estarrio

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a pale blonde color. The head is white, frosty, persevering and reminiscent of a white water rafting experience. They are not kidding when they tell you to pour unhurriedly!

The aroma is subtly sweet, floral, and fruity with a slightly citrus feel. The esters mix well with candied sugar, doughy yeast and acidic citrus notes.

Taste is sweet at first of light fruit, champagne and coriander. This quickly mixes with a contrast of equal warm alcohol and slightly bitter hops. The aftertaste is a pleasant mix of all the flavors combined. Lots of esters, candied sugar and earthy yeast qualities throughout.

This light bodied, well-carbonated brew is a pleasure to sip.

This is one of the defining Belgian strong pale ales and it is easy to see why.

07-27-2006 02:27:17 | More by Estarrio
dfried

Clear yellow straw-like color, giant frothy and oily white head. It looks very much like a pilsner minus the head. The aroma is very sweet and a little fruity from the malt and candy sugar, with a little citrus-like character from the spicy hops. The taste is of a nice thick syrupy Belgian, but sweeter. A lot of esters in the flavor some tart apricot, almost cherry like, and then even some white grapes. Hops are there, mainly for balancing though, they just add a little tangy-ness to the mouthfeel, which is pretty light and tingly. Dangerously drinkable at 8.5%.

I do recognize this as a landmark beer, and respect it for that. And I think it's really good, but I feel like some gush over it a little more than it deserves.

07-24-2006 13:49:24 | More by dfried
TheFeintingGoat

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

An 11.2 oz. bottle poured into a snifter at a very unhurried pace (a must!).

A - A medium golden color that blends very well with the thick, foamy, epic head. It is very carbonated, and something about the rush of bubbles makes me love this beer even more. Quite hazy as well.

S - If I can place this scent, which I'm not 100% confident in doing, it would be that of Lychees, more than likely from the yeast. It smells remarkably like a certain Alsace wine "Gewurztraminer" (try it, you'll like it). There's also a cracked wheat smell worked in there.

T&M - It tastes considerably lighter than its heavy apperance, and when worked around the mouth becomes a medium heaviness and develops a slightly chewy texture. As it's swashed around, it moves from tart to smooth, depending on the position in the mouth and this makes an enjoyable oral expierience. As tart as it gets, it is never overpowering, and always balanced but at the forefront. It never assults the palette as the slight fruity texture mellows it out. On the back, you never taste the alcohol going down, and for an 8.5% beer: marvelous. It seems to have just the right amount of carbonation to finish it off smoothly.

D - I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. It's accessible, interesting to the palette, and a perfect after dinner drink. I haven't found anything that would go well with this meal-wise (though I know nothing of Belgian food) as it always seems to steal the show, but working it in as a meal finisher is a must.
This beer, however, commands respect--for a number of reasons. First and foremost is the price, 10.99 for four 11.2 oz bottles. I try to keep a four pack in the house, but at the rate they keep disapearing I might reserve it just for special occasions. Second, it's not a beer that you can drink a few at a time. It's layers command you to savor it and to drink one takes a bit. Well worth it though. Finally, it's 8.5% alcohol, and packs more of a punch than you'd think.

Final verdict - Well, let me start by saying I have a fairly heavy moustache (pssh to those who trim!) and there has not been one time drinking this beer that I've not sucked the stray beer out of it. I enjoy and respect this beer, and it's finally nice to find something truly good in a local grocery store (hannafords). Bottom line? buy this beer.

07-19-2006 02:43:59 | More by TheFeintingGoat
RJLarse

Washington

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

I picked up a couple of bottles of Duvel at a grocery store to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a tulip.

Pours a pale yellow/gold color and is slightly hazy. A HUGE foamy head forms, and can barely be contained by the glass. Advice on the label is sound, “pour unhurriedly.” The head is very resilient and produces heavy, sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is sweet. There are strong floral aromas and soft fruit scents. It smells like melons, cantaloupe, honey dew, bananas and some aromatic sweet spices.

The taste has a malted grain presence, but the fruit flavors are also prevalent. There is a mild hop finish, and a bit of an alcohol bite. The flavors are reasonably well balanced.

The mouth feel is crisp, dry and smooth. The beer is significantly carbonated.

This is a drinkable beer, but the ABV dictates moderation. Not a particularly session-able brew in my opinion, but a very full flavored, and well balanced strong ale.

07-17-2006 00:13:43 | More by RJLarse
supercolter

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a fantastic beer. The appearance is bright golden, with a billowing and I do mean billowing head. Very oily lacing made its way down the glass. The smell is just like the taste. A hint of alcohol, a lot of orange peel and lemon, with some sour malt. Excellent. Mouthfeel was very good as well still very carbonated but not enough to inhibit its drinkability.

07-15-2006 02:33:11 | More by supercolter
gonzo138

Arizona

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

A- light and golden with a beatiful gigantic foamy head
S-nice and sweet, a little fruity as well
T- light crisp,slightly bitter with an alcoholic bite
M- very carbonated, tingles the palate a little
D- goes down easily, smooth taste for a strong ale

07-14-2006 10:34:19 | More by gonzo138
EvilKeith

Alabama

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Note: Pour this one as directed on the bottle, unhurriedly.

Poured a hazy pale golden straw color with a meringue-like white two fingers of head. Lacing is quite generous and obscenely thick, I love it! Effervescence is just shy of champange.
What can I say that has not been said time and time again. Truly the quintessential example of the Belgian Strong Pale Ale. All others are trying to achieve what Duvel has already done.
Exquisite! Outstanding and highly reccomended!

07-12-2006 01:51:14 | More by EvilKeith
andrewm190

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

wow. I love this beer. the appearance is light, golden color.
The smell is the only aspect of this beer that i find marginal. Its not a bad smell, but there is nothing distinctive that i can pinpoint in it, nor does there seem to be much variety in what i smell. the smell is, as i have rated it, average and comparable to many othere beers.
The taste is amazing, generally i like my beer the darker the better, however, this beer will certainly be on my short list for awesome beers. the taste is clean and even refreshing, despite the high alcohol content, it is in no way overwhelming. there are hints of apple, and the aftertaste leaves you inclined to take another sip. the mouthfeel is terrific. this is extremely drinkable and one could easily find himself ordering one after another.
i had tried this beer once before in scotland, and i remember it as haveing a more intense alcohol presence. i wonder if, like guiness, they alter their recipe slightly based on the market they are selling to, or perhaps there were other factors like food or serving type that contributed to my discrepency.

07-10-2006 03:24:31 | More by andrewm190
Photo of

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

The appearance was a light straw/pale gold color, with streams of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The head was huge and it stuck around for a long time. Classic lacing as I finished the beer. The smell had a lot in it, some malt, phenol/medicinal tones, eucalyptus (sp?), and clove. Taste was equally complex, with the malt hitting you first, then some apples and sort of a medicinal taste, finally finishing with bitterness and pepper. Mouthfeel was warmth from the alcohol, tingling from the carb, and a dry finish. Very easy to drink despite ABV. An excellent beer.

07-08-2006 20:29:32 | More by
Gregorious

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%

750cl bottle into chalice

A - Clear golden color, small bit of ivory foam fizzing at the top...

S - Maybe my nose was just clogged up but I didn't smell much at all. Hints of lemon and yeast.

T - Crisp, clean. Taste of lemons and yeast.

M - Great, extremely refreshing.

D - Goes down easy... Would go great with some chicken or fish during a summer bbq.

Hmm...I didnt seem to like this beer as much as my friends or even as much as I thought I would. I suspect that maybe the bottel was mistreated at some point...
I plan to drink again and review again :)

07-06-2006 03:51:27 | More by Gregorious
kimcgolf

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Very good beer. Poured from bomber into oversized wine glass. Probably the best appearance I’ve ever seen. Started out clear golden with a thick white pillowy head with excellent lacing. As the bottle progressed, the appearance turned more hazy amber, still with the same head. Fruity aroma was prevalent from the beginning. Taste seemed a mixture of the fruit and also a hint of spice, possibly clove. The 8.5% alcohol was very discreet; present but not tasted. A great finish topped off a very pleasant drinking experience.

07-06-2006 00:56:38 | More by kimcgolf
hunteraw

China

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Since I reviewed La Fin du Monde last night, I thought now would be a good time to review this other heavyweight of the style.

Appearance: Big rocky white head, golden color, clear... exceptional head retention. Stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom of my chalice (no Duvel tulip yet). Amazing lace. Hard to imagine how a beer could look better.

Smell: Citrus, spice, and that trademark Belgian yeast scent. A hint of alcohol. Mouth is watering.

Taste: Sweet malt at the tip of the tongue, but only briefly before the bitterness takes over, with a Saaz spiciness. Slightly yeasty. Drier than La Fin du Monde, I think, and I'd say the alcohol is better hidden (granted, this is 0.5% less ABV). Some cloves and an apple finish.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, silky, but extremely carbonated. Almost want to let it sit for a while so I can taste more of the beer and less prickly CO2. Finishes very well on a dry alcohol note.

Drinkability: I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't like this. This could be a fine introduction to the world of good beer. One complaint: too much carbonation - I had to drink it slower than I wanted to ;) In the battle of the Belgian Strong Pale Ales, in my opinion Duvel wins, but it's tough to compare. While classified in the same style, La Fin du Monde is fruitier and has more body, while Duvel is dryer, more approachable, and looks better in the glass.

07-05-2006 23:36:12 | More by hunteraw
deuschbag

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

best before date 10/08. 330 ml bottle pored into a snifter. pores a light gold color with a massive white fluffy head that never goes away. leaves great lacing.

aroma is spicey, yeasty, lemony, bready and malty.

the taste has just the perfect amount of spiceness to it. lightly malted, riped fruits, floral hops and yeast.

big thick bubbly mouthfeel. goes down clean and smooth.

a fine easy drinkable belgian ale this is. one of my favorites.

07-04-2006 23:44:27 | More by deuschbag
mattcrill

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle inspection: stubby 11.2 oz. bottle with proper serving temp, glassware suggestion, and instructions on the proper pour. Cool.

Aroma: Belgian yeasty funk, ripe bananas, fresh pears, and a hint of some wheat bread.

Appearance: A cloudy pale yellow pour with a super-thick and sudsy cavernous white head.

Flavor: Fresh melon, white grapes, a hint of chardonnay, some green apple, and more pear. Champagne-like qualities abound here. It is quite flowery, wheaty, and a touch yeasty at times.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy and light-bodied.

Overall impression: Very good. I get why this is classic but it doesn't blow my doors off. The alcohol is well hidden but the carbonation is a bit powerful at times. Still, one to hold as a gold standard. Worth trying on the road to beer advocacy. Recommended.

07-02-2006 17:23:53 | More by mattcrill
MiScusi

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Well, it's been too long of wait before I've been able to try this beer. First thing you notice is, as a pale/golden ale, it's about as pale as you can get. Very light yellow with as huge of a bubbly white head as you want. The smell is fruity and of alcohol and the taste is the exact same. I would describe it as a mini-champagne.

07-02-2006 07:50:53 | More by MiScusi
Higravity

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Proper glassware but they served it a bone chilling temps. I let the bottle sit unopened as I worked through two other beers, finally it had warmed up some. As always this is a beautiful pour, golden clear with a head that filled the glass out. The head takes a minute to settle and the smell is of spicey hops topped back with a malt ester wind that carries the idea of alcohol. The glass is starting to be laced as I take the first sip. Truly an artful construction of a golden ale with high ester yeast. Slightly fruity and sweet with a spice zing from the hops and alcohol make a play on the tongue. Finishes very clean with a nice full yet light body. Very drinkable just be warned on the near 9%.

06-26-2006 13:59:39 | More by Higravity
rsyberg01

4.93/5  rDev +16%

Serving- 11.2 oz. stubby bottle. Best before date 10-2008

Appearance - Poured into my duvel tulip a glowing pale copper hue. Meringue like head that you can literally scoop out with your fingers and it holds its shape. Good lacing, sticky stuff this is. 50/50 beer to head ratio, perfect.

Smell - Somewhat floral with a very slight hint of hop. Could hardly smell any alcohol, though a bit was there. Spicy and a little fruity as well, just the distinctive Duvel scent.

Taste - Once it hits my tongue I can already taste the spice, not overpowering and not undetectable, the perfect balance. The hops come in next, and this Belgian Strong stands right up and shows you what its got. Nice hop bite in the finish, perfect for a Belgian Strong.

Mouthfeel - Floods the mouth and hugs the corners yet finishes clean and smooth. Crisp and extremely refreshing.

Drinkability - If I had to bring one beer to a deserted island for the rest of my life, it would be Duvel, hands down.

06-25-2006 08:06:50 | More by rsyberg01
zeff80

Missouri

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours out a clear, golden yellow with a huge head. It was highly carbonated, too. It smelled of alcohol, corn and grass. The taste was spicy and hoppy. I also detected a clove or vanilla flavor. The mouthfeel was creamy. It is highly drinkable, except for the 8.5% ABV.

06-23-2006 12:45:11 | More by zeff80
boblog

Oklahoma

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

I have had this beer about three times each time in a large bottle with champagne like cork. The carbonation like the cork is very similar to champagne. The beer has a nice white head and beautiful golden color. The smell has hints of citrus. The taste is clean crisp and has a slight warm taste from the high ABV. Good classic Belgian strong pale ale.

06-23-2006 01:27:24 | More by boblog
errantnight

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Just a fantastic brew all around.

Pours a beautiful golden hue with immense, frothy head. Sweet fruits and earthy yeast aromas abound as the baby takes her sweet time settling down. Tons of lacing. I left the yeast behind, so nice and clear.

Tastes like a dream. Slightly sweet maltiness abounds, and the finish is crisp and dry. The carbonation is definitely a factor here, it's almost like a drinking sparkling wine. Not for the beer drinker who takes two or three swallows every time they raise their glass. But at 8.5%... does anyone need to? There's just a hint of acid, maybe some lemon/orange zest... but the musty, earthy yeast notes (which are mild) keep things in balance whenever the hoppy bitter notes don't. Just amazingly well balanced with an incredible finish.

Dangerously sessionable, I'm not as high on the uber-carbonation as some, but it certainly isn't a bother, and it helps define this extraordinary brew.

A special occasion brew, sure, but for the strength and availability (at least in Boston), I could see this substituting for wine in a lot of dinners.

We'll be carrying this at Cafe D soon, fer sure.

06-22-2006 12:25:48 | More by errantnight
Franchise

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a highly carbonated bubbly golden body with a strong thick white head. The aroma is floural, sweet candy, musty, golden raisins, citrus lemon, with grassy fresh notes. This is a very complex nose that just gets your senses ready for a taste. The taste is tart upfront, crisp, fresh with a sour/bitter tanginess in the back of the throat. The alcohal is warming but not overpowering, this is a classic belgian pale ale very nice.

06-16-2006 14:54:13 | More by Franchise
b33rb3lly

4.86/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was my first experience with Duvel and I have to tell you, this may be one of the best ales I have ever had! I know, pretty strong statement. From the aroma as soon as you start to pour all the way to the last drop, this is a winner from the word go. I was lucky enough to get a free Duvel glass and it really seems to make a difference with this beer. At 8.5% and $12.00 for a 4-pack, this is a "special occasion" drink. I plan on always having at least a 4-pack or two on hand for when I really want a world class ale/beer.

06-09-2006 18:37:44 | More by b33rb3lly