Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +4%

11.2 oz bottle. Date: 01/2010

A: clear, pale gold with amazing foamy, cratered white head with fantastic retention. highly carbonated. foam clings to the glass, what a sight

S: faint hops, grassy, floral hints. a little sweet

T: malt up front, some hop bitterness a little spicy, i think it's pepper i detect

M: foam on the top lip - like a kid with chocolate milk. light body with high carbonation, making it quite crisp. slightly dry finish

D: awesomely drinkable. I"m glad I picked up the 4 pack

I waited a long time to buy this, for some unknown reason. It certainly lives up to it's hype.

Rainintheface, Oct 07, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

From bottle into glass, best before date 4/2009. Nice golden color. Head was frothy and full. Taste was kinda spicy, hoppy, citrusy, carbonated. Not what I was expecting after hearing about this from so many people. Thought I was going to be blown away, but then again, maybe it's just not not my favorite style of beer.

sirpsycho, Oct 06, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: The pour is a cloudy light golden color with a couple fingers of foamy white head that gets smaller, but never fades.

Smell: This is the classic (This is going to be a recurring theme) Belgian strong pale ale nose. Fruity esters bring pears and gala apples. Behind that is a musky hoppiness, followed by a touch of pepper. Unfortunately, the aroma isn't doesn't quite pack the punch I had hoped for.

Taste: Whatever the nose lacks in intensity, the flavor profile makes up for. Again, the fruity esters bring pear and apples up front, followed by pepper, and hops in the mid-palate, and some funk-the-funk Belgian yeast before a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: This brew is medium-bodied and dry with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: This is the classic BSPA. It's fundamentally stunning and dangerously drinkable.

goschool, Oct 06, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a Duvel chalice glass..

A: Very light coloring, ridiculously large pillow on top that I have rarely seen on any other beer. Added a lot to the experience of the beer.

S: Spicey aroma to the beer, nothing overwhelming.

T: Spice is much stronger in the taste than in the smell. The back-taste after swallow leaves a whole different flavor and great taste for this beer. I tend to notice the alcohol on the back end but not in a bad way, and not as strong as is.

M: Very very smooth and dominated by the residual head that sticks throughout.

D: Again, noticed the alcohol but still a beer that is much too drinkable for its 8.5%

marcpal, Sep 29, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Lovely white frothy head that dissapears only very slowly. The head explodes as you pour the beer. Light yellow color, plenty of carbonation. Bubbly lacing clings to the sides on the way down.

Smell -- hops, a light scent, but inviting.

The taste is smooth, buttery, hops and slight bitterness. But it's very well balanced with maltiness and a touch of spices. The mouthfeel is wonderful and this is very easy to drink. It would make a great session beer. The alcohol is extremely well hidden, so watch out!

jar2574, Sep 29, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

330ml stubby brown bottle from Party Source poured into an oversized wine glass. Best by 3/2010.

A: Big ass pillowy head. Nice retention throughout and very strong lacing. Poured very slowly resulting in a perfectly clear golden color.

S: Juicy acidic fruits along with some floral hops. In the back of my mind I keep thinking witbier. Slight presence of alcohol.

T/M: First taste makes me think witbier, too. Has a strange tasting bitterness to it that leads to the alcohol and big medicinal phenols. Citrus twist at the end for a dry finish. Higher carbonation makes it pretty light on the palate.

D: Has a very different taste than what I was expecting. It's not bad but not something I'll get often. Easy to drink and refreshing, though.

pwoods, Sep 25, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

This is a really nice beer. It is actually one of my personal favorites. It pours a medium goldish color and starts off with a two finger head which very slowly goes down.

The smell is great; citrus (especially orange), hoppy. Very nice.

The taste has a fairly strong hop flavor to it; to me the bitterness of it is very minimal and there is a nice balance of carbonation. It has a strong citrus taste to me. It is almost like a really nice champagne.

Overall I would give this a 4.5 out 5. It is really complex and big tasting. You have to give it a couple of sips to really get a lot of the complexity out of it.

I would recommend it to anyone.

bradley194, Sep 24, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Despite the many glowing reviews, this is one of my least favorite Belgian beers.

Pours a glowing yellow with a big white head. The taste is ... strange. Bone dry, some interesting spices, a bit of yeast with a malty backbone. Upon repeating sipping, the spicy yeastiness didn't really agree with me.

Overly carbonated.

Overlord, Sep 23, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +15%

Poured into my Chimay chalice; Unfortunately it only held 9 or so of my 11.2 oz of Duvel. Without the last two ounces this brew was pretty transparent and just looked like another tripel so I drank just enough to get the rest of the bottle in the glass and the last 2 oz. really made a difference in appearance and mouthfeel. I'm going to have to get myself a Duvel tulip glass.

A-Very cloudy translucent pale golden yellow body that pours with 2 fingers but eventually fades to a wonderful 1 finger smooth and creamy white head. Lots of lacing is left behind in the glass. A volcano of tiny bubbles constantly rises to the top the whole time. Cloudiness is uniform but yeast sediment can be seen constantly stirring with the bubbles.

S- This brew has a great smell but it doesn't show as much promise as every other characteristic. The smell is rather light. What dominates the nose is a combination of spicy yeast and spicy hops with a hint of hop bitterness. What I would expect from a good saison but it doesn't highlight the complexity of this brew.

T- A wonderful balance of citrus, peppery spice, pear, spicy yeast, and a bready yeast sweetness upfront. The finish is much more dry and clean cut with a bouquet of bittering and refreshing hops making their presence along with a peppery spiciness and the slightest presence of an alcohol acidity/warmth. What lingers is a magnificent combination of yeast, spiciness, and just a touch of bitterness and sweetness.

M- Amazing. Medium carbonation and light body. Texture is delicate and velvety-very smooth and creamy. The mouthfeel even lingers with the taste. excellent.

D- Well after the initial pour and throughout this review I only have one sip or two left of the Duvel. 11.2 ounces was certainly not enough of this brew. This is an excellent example of a BSPA (my favorite style) and one I will purchase again and again. The ABV is almost undetectable and this is one that's complexity will have you sipping and sipping again.

PittBeerGirl, Sep 13, 2007
4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

This one erupted into my glass like a volcano,massive,rocky,pillow like head that was gorgeous,what a sight,with lots of sticky lacing.The color was a hazy cloudy yellow with sparkling like bubbles,made for a perfect beer picture.
The aroma is fruity and citrus with some peppery to it and a little kinda like brandy.
It goes down creamy and the spice flavors hit you half way with a dryness and some bitterness towards the end.
Full body to this one with the feel of the spices with the pepper to it.
This is an excellant beer,just sit down and relax and enjoy,the flavors all blend in just superb with just the right touch of spices and bitterness and that creamy feel to it.The 8.1% alcohol,hell man,you can't even tell.Duvel is a little on the pricey side but worth every penny.Do give this one a try,well worth it...excellant!!

GrimmReaper, Sep 13, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

wow, 1010 review as of this writing. How often does that happen in my beers reviewed list? I have had this often enough but have strayed into other areas. I decided to have a go for the football weekend and shared a bottle with my brother. Perfect as always. With all the other descriptions on flavors I'll pass and just note that once again I find the easy to get (for me) and in my backyard is damn good. In this case the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.

barleywinebrewer, Sep 10, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was suprised to see I hadn't reviewed Duvel when I checked the Best of BA list the other day. I thought I had better get round to it.

All the best superlatives have been used by other BA drinkers and I don't want to copy anyone. So this is just an amble type of ramble. Needless to say, I think this is a fantastic beer and have scored it accordingly.

I started drinking Belgian beers on a regular basis back in 1993 and I have always thought Duvel to be a great beer and a leader within the stronger Pale Ales produced in Belgium.

I have two Duvel glasses and there are always some bottles in my garage waiting to be cooled and drunk. My local supermarket (Morrisons) has Duvel on offer at £4.00 for three .33 litre bottles, that's about $8.00 at todays exchange rate.

Being a member of the CAMRA Investors club means I have a few shares of the Duvel Moortgat brewery (part share of $67,000) and have had the pleasure of visiting the said brewery in 2005.

A very drinkable beer, one that I hope never changes its top quality ingrediants and I have put my money where my belly is too!

BlackHaddock, Sep 07, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Cloudy orange hue with an absolutely massive whipped cream head that goes on for miles. Breathtaking to look at in a duvel glass (imagine that!)

S- Smells of belgian yeast, sweet grains and some slight indistinct fruits.

T- Taste is rediculously well balanced. Sweet, slightly grainy and yeasty flavor followed by the slightest hint of alcohol.

M- Slightly thin and extremely carbonated.

D- Very drinkable for an 8.5 percent abv brew however I find it somewhat of a sipper.

Lothore, Sep 07, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

11.2 oz stubby bottle poured into New Belgium Chalice

A - Wow, I ever-so-carefully poured this beer into my chalice. Seeing that the head was rapidly rising I stopped about halfway through the bottle. After a few seconds of looking at BA.com, I turn back and the head is billowing out of the goblet and onto my desk. I've had Duvel and other Belgian Strong Pale Ales many times and never seen this happen.

Ok, the head has settled a bit and left amazing lacing and an intense rockiness that remains at about 1 inch throughout. Body color is light, golden straw and somewhat clear. Head is eggshell white. A beautiful beer once it is reigned in.

S - A floral bouquet of light hops and well-presented spice to match. Flavors complement each other incredibly well. Light citrus and pepper come to mind. Alcohol is well hidden.

T - Smooth, slight lemony citrus kick things off with a bit of malty sweetness to boot. Belgian spices come to play in the form of pepper and perhaps coriander. Alcohol becomes more present as this beer warms, but its spiciness never contrasts with the other flavors, it only complements them. A real joy to drink with its subtle complexity that combines to form a delicious whole.

M - Moderate carbonation adds a lively punch to an otherwise light, smooth and somewhat creamy beer. Aftertaste leaves much flavor to be admired, but little in the way of a drying bitterness.

D - A classic beer that I have enjoyed many times but never reviewed. Although it has always been tasty, this beer really shines when you are actually thinking about the flavors and how they complement one another. A must-try and the definitive Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

gmcfarre, Sep 06, 2007

This beer poured perfectly clear until the end of the bottle when the yeast was roused. A perfect decant was not possible as the head was literally rising out of the glass! Hazy yellow-gold body with an orange-cast topped by a dense, rocky bright-white head that holds extremely well - buoyed by a tight-beaded effervescent carbonation - and leaves some exceptional
lace. Aroma is quite fragrant: fruity, yeasty, candy sweet and malty, lightly peppery with a touch of spicy hops. The body is light/medium with an extremely fine and highly effervescent carbonation that is pillowy soft and velvety smooth in the mouth.
The flavor is surprisingly full and rich, starting with a candyish malty sweetness, becoming dryish in the middle with some earthy and lightly spicy hop flavors, and finishing long and malty with some more distinct Saaz notes and touches of bitterness. The alcohol is amazingly well hidden. Impressively balanced with a fresh hop presence and bitterness that dances amongst such sweet malt character. Amazing. As Michael Jackson notes, Duvel is equally impressive served chilled, or as it warms toward cellar temperature. This makes it quite drinkable, and enjoyable, as a glass can be savored over a period of time. One of my favorite beers in the world, and absolutely recommended.

Maracuja, Sep 01, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured a 330 ml bottle into a mug.

A: Pours a clear, bright, and light gold with a massive head that intially takes up more space than the liquid (five fingers or more). The head is sticky and leaves curtains of lace down the inside of the glass.

S: A complex and pleasant aroma. I can pick up some fruit, malt, and yeast.

T: Combines both sweetness and spiciness. The sweetness has fruity hints of pears and Jonathan apples, with a dollop of honey. The spiciness is influenced by a white pepper flavor that complements the breadiness. Very enjoyable.

M: Smooth and refreshing, sweet and sharp, and complex and balanced.

D: Spot on. Carbonated and smooth. Kicks a little--while being very refreshing. No lingering bitter aftertaste and no overwhelming sweetness. .
Comment: I have passed this beer over in the past…but no more. It belongs among the best of the class and I will keep it in my private stash for special occasions (think Thursdays).

dnichols, Aug 30, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased four hours ago and it got mixed up on the drive home; the yeast is well distributed, I probably should have waited at least a day or two to let it settle before opening. I used a Chimay goblet. Exp date Jan 2010.

Pale and pretty much see-through hay colour. High fluffy white head started at three fingers and never went below one or two. Effervescent carbonation, fast rising tiny bubbles. Smell of yeast, hops plus, sour dough, over ripe fruit, maybe peach or banana. A full, chewy mouth feel but with sharp acidity. The taste had me going: cinammon, thyme, more over-ripe fruit but the bitterness has an edge that is sharp and abrupt. I thought the finish was disappointing, not what I anticipated on opening. it reminded me of banana peel. There was some spice in the aftertaste but again with a lot of fermenting fruit sourness.

The 8.1 per cent alcohol was plainly evident and blew me away. I wondered if this was opened prematurely and just needed to mature. I'm curious to put one of these away and see what happens to it by next year.

ThatWineGuy, Aug 29, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer has an enormous following, and it definitely does not dissapoint. Even though I carefully poured this beer, a frothy, full head still formed, nearly going over the glass, most likely caused by the high amount of carbonation.

The alcohol is definitely there, I have to limit myself to one bottle at a time.

Plenty of flavor, an excellent beer.

mdup8819, Aug 25, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

I heard raves about this beer and it definitely defended its reputation.

A: Poured a light gold body with a very thick white head with excellent retention. The head of this beer stays with the beer from start to finish with excellent lacing.

S: A sweet malty smell that was quite enticing.

T: A nice and sweet malty taste. Don't really taste the alcohol at first, but it seemed to settle to the bottle of the glass as I got a decent sized mouthful of it later. Still, tasted very good.

M: Nice and light and pretty refreshing for a high ABV beer.

D: Definitely a good, drinkable beer. Smooth, great tasting, and very refreshing. The gulp of alcohol I got later on in the beer was not too tasty, but other than that one sip, it was an excellent beer.

maddogruss, Aug 22, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +4%

I realized I hadn't drank any Duvel since getting a Duvel glass, so I thought I'd revisit this classic properly.

The 'perfect pour' according to Duvel's website comprises liquid halfway up the lettering and head from there to the rim of the glass. I manage this feat effortlessly, confirming the spot-on engineering of the trusty tulip. The beer is clear pale gold and the head is a bright dense white. The head is so perfect in this glass that even though it's about 3 inches high, the liquid slips right underneath as you tip the glass, saving my nose and upper lip from an embarrassing beerstache.

Smell is appley, flowery, yeasty and sweet. Banana phenols and hints of spice and pear.

Taste is of green apple and soft mellow fruits, citrus twang, wheaty malty background with floral and herbal hops. Phenols and spiciness are in the flavor as well as the smell.

Really rich and creamy. Full carbonation and body, beautifully smooth. Very easy to drink.

illidurit, Aug 18, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into an oversize Duvel tulip glass, this beer pours a solid gold color with very impressive carbonation action (bottle conditioning is quite apparent). The beer has very good head retention and impressive lacing. This is a very impressive looking beer. The beer has a beautiful nose, with a lovely marriage of sweet belgium malt, spice and refreshing bitterness. The beer has a really fine mouthfeel, with an expansive, mouthfilling presence. The flavor profile is very nice, if not hugely impressive. Good, if somewhat understated, flavors of apple and melon. The beer has some moderate sweetness, with just enough bitterness to keep it all in check. The beer has a nice clean finish, with the 8.5% abv. well disguised. The beer is surprisingly drinkable.

Been a while since I had this beer. I had forgotten just how good it is.

John_M, Aug 15, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: Poured into the Duvel Tulip from the stubby bottle. "Pour Unhurriedly" the label told me, before explaining how I should prepare this precious brew. I followed the instructions, and what resulted was a full four-finger perfectly white, sparkley head that went right to the edge of the tulip. This magnificenthead sat atop a pure golden liquid. And when I say "pure gold" that's what I mean. A jet stream of bubbles risies from the middle of the bottom of the glass, due to the "D" etching in the glass. Fantastic.

Smell: Delicate honey sweetness. Crisp apples and clean alcohol finish out the nose. Very inviting, very clean and refreshing. There is a bit of hop twang somewhere in the mix there.

Taste: Creamy honey gives way to a light fruity taste, then finishes clean with a hint of spice and hop. As good of a taste as I could ask for, progressing through each new taste slowly, allowing its complexity to shine through. Mouthfeel is very crisp, and can become excessively so (biting) at times, revealing this beers only weakness in my eyes. However that fact says a lot about the quality of this beer, and the mouthfeel is still lightyears ahead of most beers out there right now.

Drinkability: This beer is ridiculously drinkable, making its 8.5% ABV that much more dangerous. I could go all day drinking this stuff, and I think that's why it's called the Devil. Duvel translates to "Devil."

Notes: Duvel is about as perfect a beer that I can think of. I often use it as a reference when reviewing other beers, and I think it exemplifies what a fine golden ale can be. Everything progresses naturally from pour to last sip, and creates a total sensory experience that must be experienced to believe. Also, this beer is incredibly available. I have found this beer at most stores I've been to, from ABC to several local liquor stores. If they don't have it, request it. I guarantee you won't be disappointed by this world class beer: a heavenly brew with a devilish smile.

BucBasil, Aug 11, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -28.4%

A - Pours with a clear golden color. 3 fingers of white head. that lasts a good while.

S - I get some fruit and flower smells off this beer.

T - The flavor it self isn't bad at all. Flowers, some fruit.

M - This is a super dry beer. It feels like, not tastes, a dry red wine. The same kind of astringency. Kind of chalk like in the back of my mouth, and some decent alcohol flavor.

D - I'm underwhelmed by this beer. It's not bad, per se, but it is not my favorite. Like the French Canadians say "I think, maybe, not so good."

enfield249, Aug 10, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

I had this beer on August 7, 2007 at 'Smokeless Joe' in Toronto. The beer was poured into a tulip and was a beautiful golden colour with a huge loose rocky white head that lasted longer than the beer. The aroma was hints of malt and some spice. The mouthfeel was light but with heavy heavy carbonation. The taste was slightly citrusy with a bitter aftertaste.

cyrenaica, Aug 08, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

I would call Duvel one of the best widely available beers in America. In my mind, it has the ultimate appearance of a beer. It has a look that makes you badly want to drink it. Once you do, there is no disappointment in any part of this beer. Great beer!

BDIMike, Aug 05, 2007