Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

This pours a straw yellow with a huge fluffy head. Fantastic lacing is evident and highly carbonated judging by the constant beading.

The nose is of pears with a bit of alcohol evident.

Pear/apple continues on the palate. The alcoholic warmth is there but well integrated.

This is incredibly drinkable but the high ABV makes it very dangerous.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my (of course) Duvel tulip glass.

A: A light yellow straw color with a thick one finger white head. Minimal lacing as it streaks down the glass back into the beer fairly quickly.

S: Spicy yeasty with hints of sweet fruit and a bit of pepper. Slight hops detected.

T: Malty sweet wtih fruit flavors of banana, apple, melon coupled with the spicy yeasty flavor of clove and maybe some cinnamon. I even get some peppery spicyness. Finish is long as the sweetness gets overcome by the drying hops flavor. Nice!

M: Medium but coating. Not over the top, but it sits and feels good in the mouth. Slight alcohol taste, but it is very welcomed. Crisp and clean.

D: High, the 750 went down very nicely. A nice drinking easy going Belgian Pale.

Overall another very good classic Belgian beer that deserves the praise and great scores. An excellent beer that is readily available. I enjoyed it and will probably keep a bottle or 2 on hand when I want a break from those uber American hop bombs.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Alright, I'm finally using my Duvel tulip for its intended purpose.

A- Beautiful light gold with a big white head. The legendary head is tempered somewhat by my wetting the glass before pouring, but it is still substantial.

S- Lots of yeasty aromas and a lemony tartness are prominent. I don't know why, but I kind of expected this to smell sweet. Instead, it seems to have a saison-like dryness. Not that I'm complaining; it's very good.

T- The flavor actually starts off somewhat sweet before segueing into grainy malt. The tartness that was hinted at in the smell shows up, too, although it's not too strong. The finish is tart and fairly dry with only a touch of bitterness. Very refreshing.

M- Light to medium body with plenty of carbonation, although not too much.

D- Very good. I never would have guessed that this beer was 8.5% alcohol. I could easily have a couple of these.

Overall a very good beer, worthy of its status as a "benchmark" BSPA. Although I can't say that it's my favorite of the style, it's still a great example and one that every beer-lover should try eventually. Plus, without it, we wouldn't have those sweet Duvel glasses. Anyway, definitely recommended.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked up a corked bottle at Trader Joe's for dinner last night. Poured into two Duvel tulip glasses. Huge white head, all the way up the side of the glass. Looks like a washing machine overflowing. Tons of lacing too. Extremely bright yellow color. Smell was very floral. Duvel tastes unlike any other beer out there. Tons of bubbles really attack your throat. Light and hoppy, heavy and smooth at the same time. You can find yourself drinking this quite easily, but also you can feel that this beer is no joke and certainly has some substance to it and has a bit of alcohol backbone. This is one of the first Belgian beers I have ever had, and will always be one of the best. Also, a great beer to use to introduce anyone to Belgian brews, because I don't think anyone could find fault with this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a incredible pale amber color with an extremely frothy white head. Head also has great lacing. The aroma has a complex equation of hops, citrus and malt. The taste is so frecken delicious that this stuff should be banned. Has a great amount of carbonation that tickels the tounge. Is a light bodied beer that packs a punch at a whoping 8.5%. reat drinability. I think i found my new desert island beer.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

Carefully poured from the stubby 11.2 oz bottle into a Duvel branded glass. The label says best by 04/2010.

Appearance: The appearance of this beer is absolutely perfect. With a very careful pour (I have tried a number of times) I easily get a full, gorgeous head each time. It laces nicely around the glass, and most of the head will remain for the duration of the beer, supported by a never-ending supply of carbonation from the bottom. The color is a golden, pale yellow, with visible cloudiness from the yeast.

Smell: This is when you truly start to wonder if this is champagne. The smell is very crisp, with a mild aroma of green apples and a little bit of alcohol in the background. The alcohol is not as noticeable as I would expect out of an 8.5% ABV.

Taste: The pale malt is what I notice first, with the yeast gradually working its way in. The middle brings a mild taste of apples and some sweetness to the front. There is a subtle taste of the hops that is barely present. I don't notice the alcohol until the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel: This is one incredibly smooth beer. The bubbles dancing on your tongue allow you to feel the crisp carbonation, while the combination of alcohol, yeast, pale malt and just a hint of hops is light and refreshing.

Drinkability: Since each sip is crisp with flavor and carbonation, at the end of each sip, my mouth is asking for another. It's tough to argue.

I worked my way through 3 very enjoyable bottles dissecting this one; overall it is a very well put together beer. I took off a point for taste, simply because I prefer a different type, but I may revisit this later. It is tough to argue with someone who says this is a perfect example of a Strong Pale Ale.

3.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Duvel is a slightly opaque but very sparkly straw-colored ale with a huge, fluffy, rocky white head. The aroma is of dough, moist towels, citrus and a slight banana/clove. It's silky smooth and medium bodied. Many things are lurking in this unique flavor. Vanilla, black pepper and perhaps apple peel. It's a classic for a reason!
(rated Mar 22, 2007)

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased from store, served chilled in tulip glass (12/11/08)
A - poured a light golden, slightly cloudy. Good, solid head from first sip to last.
S - smell of crisp apples, clean, I get subtle hints of flowers, not overwhelming
T - Great flavor, full of fruit, 8.5%abv is quite deceitful, definitely would sneak up on you.
M - coates the palate, a bit creamy.
D - crisp aftertaste, great drinkability as all of my favorite Belgians.
Overall, great beer.

Note on glassware: I tasted this a few months ago in a standard pint glass. Tulip glass made a distinct difference in aroma and taste (as it should for this ale)

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Apperance - Sweet golden color with a foamy dense head. Intricate almost spider web-like lacing as well.

Nose - Cologne, spice, musk, green apple and faint pineapple and bubblegum. Really nice.

Taste - Spicy with an almost muscat wine flavor and a lingering prickliness and bitterness. A journey.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability - Both are good

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%

Review Number 50!!! A little milestone for me. :)
A= amazing! It's a nice golden color that's completely clear when you look through the glass. The head is not to be messed with. Pour it right the first time or you will have to deal with too much or too little head the whole way through because this one lasts all the way. Its clear white like snow and chunky too Big bubbles that kinda look like soap bubbles. Awesome lacing on the glass as well.
S= I picked up booze in the beginning followed by a very tart apple smell to it with some citrus hops deep in there.
T= A little boozy when it's cold but as it warms up a little the apple tartness takes over nicely with some hoppy bitterness to it as well and last is a citrus bite
M= Light smooth and clean all the way. No stickiness or anything here.
D= decent. For some reason I just don't think i enjoyed the taste of this one as much as everyone else so that would defer me a little bit. Also the price is very high so I prolly couldn't afford to drink to many and last but not least the booze would take me down quickly.

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

Drinkability - a very enjoyable beer. However, I prefer strong beers to have strong, complex and pronounced flavours. This is, in part, to slow down the high octane drinking.

On a personal note, I prefer a Tripel style Belgian like the Canadian made La Fin Du Monde.

This beer is light tasting and too many could easily be consumed in what might turn into a messy and violent session. It's not my favorite, but it is an excellent beer.

Appearance - a pale, clear, straw-like yellow. The fine champagne carbonation provides a fluffy rocky-tipped head with excellent retention and makes the beer look very inviting. Nice lacing along the way.

Smell - very mild aromatic qualities. A clean aroma with sweet, hoppy, perfumy, grassy, floral, citrusy aromas. It basically smells like a good average ale with no outstanding odours.

Taste - similar to what you smell. The mild flavours are very well balanced. It starts hoppy but the bitterness is mild. The finish is dry and the volatiles from the alcohol are slightly noticeable. Mild but complex "belgium-like" notes are detected after the finish. This beer is widely considered as the "standard" for the style.

Mouthfeel - ultra-light from the high carbonation while smooth and watery. A slightly course finish from the alcohol which quickly dissipates.

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Bottle. Maybe a little too much hype. Pours clear gold with the big white, fluffy head. Aroma is yeasty and sweet with sugar. Taste is the same, kind of like a tripel. Very rich and strong flavors, maybe too much. Its really good, but I don't really want it again.

4.11/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a limoncello gold, with nearly constant carb. The real highlight in this girl's look though is the ridiculously frothy head, cavernous, and leaving suds all over the glass's sides. The nose is nice and citrusy, with hints of wet wood and pepper.

This beer has some sparkling viscosity upon touching your lips, and then becomes incredibly light, going down very smooth. Flavors are predominantly yeasty, sour dough, citrus, and just an overall tart flavor. No note dominates more than the other, and it has just a general "beer" flavor to it.

The alcohol is incredibly masked on this one, as I'd be sure I was drinking something more along the lines of the 5.5-6 range. Though after a few sips you do begin to get a nice warming feeling. While decorated and well constructed, the flavor isn't my favorite, perhaps a bit too tart.

4.71/5  rDev +10.8%

this beer is the best of the best

Appearance: Is wonderful...nice big white head with a gold body

Smell: some hops...malts and also some yeast and some citrus notes

Taste: superb ..nice and light but not to light its just wonderful...and aftertaste leaves you wanting more and more i should of picked up a couple of these bad boys

Mouthfeel: is not thin at all full of flavor and also aftertaste is great nothing bitter

Drinkability: is very very high too high for a 8.5% hah

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a nice slightly hazy golden color with a huge foamy white head. Very carbonated almost champagne like but not overpowering if poured correctly. Aroma of light crisp fruits and spice. Flavor consists of apple, pear, and light raisin as well as a nice alcohol presence. A great tasting belgian strong ale.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from 12oz stubby into my Duvel chalice.

Appearance: Nice light gold in color, pretty thick head, decent lacing.

Smell: Citrus hops, a bit of apples in the front, and a nice ester backdrop. The alcohol is hidden nicely, yet still stands tall in the nose.

Taste: Grainy, lemony-zest, accompanied by a floral uprising of excellent hop presence. This one is a tad spicy, good fruit boastfullness, along the lines almost of a Champagne.

Mouthfeel: Pretty damn carbonted, this one feels like it's burning a hole in my tongue. My Duvel chalice displays the bubbles excellently with this beer, you really don't appreciate your Duvel chalice until you pour this in it.

Drinkability: At 8.50 ABV, this is like drinking water, an excellent balance of hops and overall satisfaction, I can easily polish alot of these off yet at such a high ABV, it feels like your drinking a lite beer. This is a classic beer that I'm glad I finally tried and look forward to having again in the future!

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

SAQ de Val-d'Or

A - It pours a hazy clear golden with a good head, good lacing too

S - Fruit (banana, apple, bit of plum), strong belgian yeast, alcohol is definitly present

T - Well-balanced hop-malt-alcohol level for the style, spicy & sour in final

MF - Very carbonnated, sharp & fizzy, sour on the tongue

D - Really a fabulous beverage, one of my favorite for sure

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into my Duvel Tulip glass.

Appearance is light golden in color with approx. 3 inch pure white head. Very nice. Lacing appeared down the glass until the very last sip. Thick foam in the center of the lacing.

Smell is apple, like a tart granny smith.

Taste is pure goodness. Orange, corriander and biscuits. Amazing.

Mouthfeel was good. Seemed very carbonated to me but went down very, very smoothly.

This is my favorite Belgian beer. One for me is just fine.

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Poured this from a bottle into a snifter. It pours a cloudy golden appearance when held to the light. Streams of carbonation can be seen. The head is white and a good 3 inches with a slow decrease.

The aroma includes notes of yeast, apples, and bananas that are mild compared to the overall scent of champagne.

The taste is reasonably similar to the nose. It is quite complex and blends very nicely with the mouthfeel. A mild hoppiness is noted along with some spice, although the apple and banana seems to linger.

The mouthfeel is quite carbonated but smooth with a medium body. Overall, I think this beer is quite drinkable although I'm afraid to see what happens if I had several of them, because of the alcohol content. It is quite good and I will enjoy this again in the future.

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

I have to say right off the bat that my bottle of Duvel exploded when I CAREFULLY popped the cap - I am left with literally half a bottle and am kind of hacked off about that. Otherwise....

A: Pale, straw yellow color that is cloudy and has light effervesence. BIG head - my glass has been 80% head the entire time - that seems to have a delicious life of it's own. As the liquid in the glass is consumed, the lacing from the head holds it's territory on the glass. Nice!

S: Strangely, this does not smell like beer. It smells like a mix of champange and pop.

T: The taste is incredible. It's a light-sweet, banana...banana bread, but not as bready as banana bread. It's faintly bready, but it's sweeter than breadier. It's damn delicious.

M: Smooth, milky, creamy. This beer definitely packs some carbonation and I'm not sure how it's not prickling the heck out of my tongue but it's not.

D: This is now (I say this way too oft) my favorite beer. It's damn delicious, light enough to be drinkable yet isn't forgettable. It packs a nice alcohol punch but on the down-low...it's so effortless. My absolute favorite of favorites....

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

This is one fantastic looking beer. Hazy yellow body with just a few yeast particles that escaped from the pour. Dvuel boasts a huge, solid white head that is thick and rocky, leaving a tower of foam on top of the ring that settles onto the body. Retention is fantastic, the head sticks around during the entire drinking of this beer. Lacing isn't so much lacing as walls of chunky foam on the sides of your glass. A great looking beer.

Sweet sugary aroma combined with some ripe fruits. Apple and banana come to mind. Banana is probably the strongest fruit aroma. A little bit of alcohol. Overall, Duvel actually smells a little bit like champagne.

Taste is similar to the aroma, but I think better. Lots of sugary sweetness with some fruit flavors. I taste apple, pear and banana. Unlike the aroma, the banana isn't dominant. A good, bready, pilsner malt flavor rounds things out nicely. Just a touch of alcohol and a lot of dryness toward the finish. Duvel is full-flavored and complex, while remaining balanced; it is a great example of a Belgian Pale Ale, if not the best example.

Medium bodied with a somewhat slick feel on the tongue, but a with dry finish. A ton of active carbonation that suits this beer very well.

This beer has pretty good drinkability. I probably prefer to sip rather than down it, but it is well balanced and worth spending a little bit of time enjoying. As beer goes, it tastes a little bit like a very dry champagne, but the sweet grape flavors are replaced by sweet malt and yeast characteristics.

3.71/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I've been having a lot of stouts lately that haven't had too much head, so I've been pouring my beers pretty hard. Anyways, I decided to do this while pouring this beer....big mistake! This beer is so heady, that I wasn't even sure it even had beer in it. LOL. Anyways, let me get serious with this review.

A: Big and frothy looking head along with a rich golden color.

S: A mix of apple cider and banana aroma followed by subtle Belgian spices.

T: Again, a strong apple cider influence along with some sort of citrus fruity character.

M: A light to medium body that leaves your mouth refreshed and rejuvenated; lower carbonation than expected.

D: Good with no hints of alcohol; a good beer to enjoy after a long day.

Overall: A good beer, not mind-blowing for me. It's definitely worth a try if you get a chance.

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a tall, airy, cloud white head. Notable head retention and tons of fine, sticky lacing throughout.

Smell: Delicate malts with soft touches of clover honey. Mild floral and spice notes, along with fruity hints of pineapple and banana-flavored bubblegum. Lightly boozy, but it's a classy booziness, mind you.

Taste: Soft pale maltiness with a light honey sweetness. Splash of dessert wine. Bits of banana, chewing gum, and ripe pineapple. Slight sour yeastiness. Light floral and spicy Noble hop character and bitterness. Peppery alcohol, particularly on the otherwise drying, fruity finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Moderate carbonation. Very slight stickiness throughout.

Drinkability: Rather drinkable despite the 8.5% ABV. A respectable stalwart member of the classic Belgians.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Bright golden color, not very cloudy, surprisingly large head and exceptionally strong lacing (it never faded, it was still on the glass in the morning). Nice hops background, slightly yeasty taste, and a sunny feeling in the mouth. I could drink a few of these if they were available.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the best Belgians. The head is simply gigantic and it is a Belgian Strong Pale that lives up to the color part of that name. It's a light yellow beer, and the head is sterile white in color. It's also an entirely wonderful head. It's like the most aggressive bubble bath in the world. There are large and small bubbles that pile atop one another and take ages to settle away. The smell is all Belgian. It's earthy and spicy and perfectly blended with the alcohol. The flavor is tart and earthy, like eating a sour apple while sitting in hay. The good folks at Duvel make phenomenal beer. God bless the Flemish.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV