Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Served in a snifter

A - A beautiful wine/champagne color with a long lasting head.

S - Some notes of citrus along with a "fizzy" type fragrance.

T - An experience that tastes just like you believe it will based on smell. I noted a mellow citrus flavor which blended in to the overall presentation of he beer in my mouth.

M - Agree with the poster below. A champagne experience.

D - I'd seen many people mention this beer on the site. I was in a store and notice some additional glassware with purchase of a Four-Pack of Duvel. I figured this would be the time to try. I'm glad I did... and can't wait to have a few with friends.

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Served in a Duvel-branded tulip glass, poured 'unhurriedly' from a 750 ml bottle

A - Like champagne; a beautiful golden color with delicate bubbling and a thick, indestructible head. I've never seen a head stay this thick this long.

S - Light, slightly Yuzu-like citrus, mostly hops and yeast

T - If refreshing had a specific taste, it would be this. A strong hoppy start mellowing into a clean pale ale taste, like a bitter citrus, before its amazingly clean finish. 'Kick ass' is the only appropriate description i can think of.

M - Screw That miller high life crap. THIS is the champagne of beers. The fizz is strong but pleasant, and the logic defying head adds a dimension of smoothness to its bite.

D - Absolutely dangerous. I don't taste the alcohol much, but the 8.5% goes right to your head. i could probably drink this 24/7, but I'd never be coherent again for the rest of my life. Best to stick to one or two drinks worth.

At first, I was skeptical of the high praise this beer has gotten, and I don't remember exactly enjoying it when I first tried it, but now that my tastes in beer have grown considerably, I can say that this one deserves all the hyperbole it gets. If you like beer, you owe it to yourself to try this one at least once. You won't regret it.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

There's something to be said for any beer that inspires 100s of imiitators. Duvel is such a beer. Served from the classic caged corked big bottle into the stamped tulip glass, the amazing rocky head iis truly a sight to behold, and an important lesson for BA wannabes who think that the less head is better. Brilliant quite clear orange in color, with orange peel and coriander up-front, and a pretty significant alcohol aftertaste. Having tasted Duvel in the corked cage, 330ml and on cask, I must advocate for the big bottle, the bottle conditioning sets it apart from its brethren. For anyone looking towards gaining an appreciation for Belgium's weighty contribution to the world of brewing, this beer is an absolute must. Looking forward to cracking my stash open in about 6 months. The scary part is despite the high ABV, this is a very drinkable brew-very tasty! Unquestionably one of the world's great beers.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

Drank from my no name goblet.

A: Very nice and translucent golden color with a very strong pure white head that lasts for days.

S: Powerful, to say the least. Cloves, pepper are dominating. Nice usual wheat flavor there. Malty sweetness hiding there too with some apple peel.

T: Nice crisp taste. Pepper is strong, cloves being somewhat more hidden than in the smell. Wheat is stronger too. Yeast is there, as well as a nice and subtle hop bitterness. Very nice malt sweetness to end it. Alcohol is very well hidden.

M: Light, but still carbonation is high, giving the brew a nice crisp feel. Not watery at all, creamy-like feel to it too. Nice warmth at the end too.

D: High, nothing is overpowerful here, making it easy to drink. Alcohol might slow you down, but that's bout it.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Deep golden color. It has a head that goes on for days. Excellent lacing.

Smell: This is a Belgian ale at its finest. Great hop character and a hint of malty sweetness at the back of your olfactory nerves.

Taste: My tongue came out of my mouth and gave me a hug. Hoppy but not overpowering. Sweet but not too sweet. This beer is a shining example of fantastic balance.

Mouthfeel: Excellent carbination and it has a great warming effect as it goes down the gullet.

Drinkability: Two words: Great BEER.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Clear and lemon-drop yellow. Active carbonation, absolutely ridiculous pure white head, like a snow peaked mountain in the Alps. Head eventually settles into a volcanic looking, mold-like, holding pattern. I'm ok with that.

S: Clean yeast, watered down apple and white grape fruit juice, ultra-light hopping.

T: Slightly soured apple, grape, and pear juice with a sharp yeast funk, touch of alcohol and a soft wash of hops.

M: Wickedly crisp and prickly.

D: Refreshing and delicious, a subtly complex beer. For a beer with a medium caliber abv, very drinkable.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is the one (and i consider it a belgian style golden ale if there is such a thing) to judge the others by. in my opinion, it looks just about perfect. hazy golden straw color with a fluffy, pillowy, white head that never goes away, and leaves gorgeous lacing on the glass. apples and pears in the nose as well as a touch of musty hoppiness, lemon zest, candi sugar and some clove/pepper yeastiness. everything the nose hints at comes together in an extremly well balanced way that is light and full in body at the same time and carrying a pleasant bitterness in the finish. too easy to drink and amazing for a beer that is produced in such quantity. the cream of the crop. the only beers that will give this one a run for the money in my opinion are russian river's golden ale (damnation? I always get them mixed up) and surprisingly, brooklyn's local1. both of which i believe are modeled after this beer. quality.

3.92/5  rDev -8%

A= Warning: pour this beer slow, a fast pour will produce a large amount of foam. When poured slowly into a glass it produces a moderately foamy head. Transparent gold color with a decent amount of carbonation.

S= Not incredibly heavy. Hints of citrus and malt sweetness.

T= Initially very crisp, eventually becoming slightly bitter again with notes of citrus. Finishes clean, leaving a some bitterness behind.

M/D= Excites the taste buds with a smooth medium bodied feel. Very drinkable, could hit you faster than you would think because of the 8.5% ABV.

Notes: All in all a very crisp and refreshing beer. Alcohol is hidden well but still warms the throat upon drinking. The overall taste may have been a bit lacking in have a pronounced flavor, but nevertheless Duvel is well balanced.

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

Huge white 2 1/2 finger head. Pale, golden body with lots of carbonation coming to the top. Great head retention and nice lacing

Smells of light sweet malt. Faint hint of alcohol, also some fruit and slight spice

Taste is light, mostly sweet malt. A little fruity with an after taste of alcohol.

Balance of carbonation is great. Head is semi creamy, body not too watery.

Over all drink ability is good. Nice flavors, would buy again. Not my favorite in this style but still a great beer

4.66/5  rDev +9.4%

I have never previously had the privilege of enjoying this infamous beer. When I saw a 4-pack gift set with the bulbous stemmed Duvel glass, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to take some home for a review.
Served at around 52-54 degrees F into the Duvel glass listening to Devendra Banhart's "Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon".
Cloudy, in some lights it shown a light gold, but mainly radiated a very very light yellow (almost off-white). Do I even need to describe the head? I mean, this pure white extremely pillowy behemoth towered several inches in length right up to the top of my glass, and was continuously fed by a stream of bubbles coming from an embossed "D" from the center of the bottom of the glass. I recommend even just chewing on a good wad of the foam for a tasty experience. The lacing was consistent, and there was still dried-up blocks of foam at the top of my glass when I finished the beer.
The mellow smell was that of very rich, almost roasted, malt. But I also noticed little bit of wheat alongside it in there.
It took me a good few minutes to specifically sort out the flavor going on here. But I decided:
It tastes mildly of sweet malt and also of soft, flowery hops right away off the bit. As the sip concludes, the malt gets a little richer, but mainly those hops come out to play and also get bit more bitter. There is a nod of wheat throughout the sip as well and is left on it's own for a brief after-taste. On more acute level, the whole of the sip gets just a little bit pleasantly sour as it goes on. Finally, an alcohol taste finishes the story, but really only amounts to just a tiny warming... at most, it kicks up a slight pinch in the back of your throat, but that is my only real discrepancy... quite awesome really, considering the 8.5% ABV and all. It's also quite amazing how none of said flavors really overpower any of the others, and everything is true to a pale style of beer by being very mellow.
Light, borderline medium, bodied... it starts off in the mouth very crisp like a refreshing pilsner. As your sip continues, it gets a bit chewy (this may be the first beer I have had where I can adequately pick out that adjective), especially if you get a sip with a bunch of that magnificent foam. It's pretty modestly carbonated as well, which says a lot considering that epic devil of a head that a bottle summoned. Also true to the style, there is nothing really harsh going on in the mouthfeel either, as this beer is only slightly sticky, yet hardly dry in any places at all.
This beer is drinkable is fuck. My only concern is how well some of the subtle perfections might be coaxed, should this beer be poured into the "improper" glassware".
Overall, this beer really is not over-rated.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Pours a clear straw gold with a nice dissipating head and moderate lacing. Smells a little skunky with some malt and spice. Flavors are a bit complex and blend pretty well, definitely a bitter aftertaste. Pretty light mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This beer is much more impressive when considering the 8.5% abv. Overall a solid beer, and it's always a plus that you can find it at any local convenient store if your are in Belgium.. but if I'm there I'm drinking something else.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

a - Light brown, nice foamy head. Too much foam, really. I do like the way it slims down into a little foam nugget with each glass, though. [Note: this is from my early fast pours]

s - Good but almost a little skunky until the head drops by 2/3. Then I finally get the spices and malts. Nice job hiding the alcohol notes - probably from the large head. I'm ranking this on its dropped-head smell.

t - Nice, complex malty and sour. Spices up front. Slightly bitter aftertaste pushes you to your next sip. No warming hits or rubbing alcohol notes for an 8.5% ABV.

m - A little malty but overall pretty thin

d - Given that I have to wait about ten minutes for the head to drop and can only pour a 1/3 full glass at a time, I have to factor that into the score. Taste-wise it's above average. Solid alcohol masking.

Not sure that I'm seeing the A+ that it gets here but let's see how my scores add up. I think it has to get a boost for masking its 8.5% pretty well even if it isn't top notch in other departments.

UPDATE: Wow. This is the first beer I've experienced where pouring style actually makes a considerable difference. I poured my third glass slow and easy and it really cuts down on the head while quite noticeably ramping up the carbonation. Pour it normally (1/2 tilted, 1/2 90-degree angle) and it foams up and tastes very flat. Pour it as directed and it's as bubbly as champagne. Very interesting. I think I prefer it somewhere in the middle.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from bottle into.. you guessed it, my Duvel glass.

What used to be my old go to beer, this bottle has been in my fridge for over a year easy, from the last case I bought probably two years ago. Four finger white pillowy head that slowly fades down to a transparent golden body. Messy lacing with gobs of the massive head still clinging to the glass. Nose is a Duvel.. heh, smells as good as it always does, pilsner malts, belgian yeast, light hops. Taste is just that, slightly sweet and grassy, very carbonated, greatly balanced. This is the standard I judge other Belgian Strong Pale's by. This brew helped get my alcohol tolance where it is today. :) So one doesn't even phase me anymore. Nice.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: This beer poured a golden straw color with a very foamy looking white head. Lacing was present throughout.

Smell: Had a nice yeast funk smell with hints of lemon and candied sugar.

Taste: Had a nice citrus flavor with a tart/sour green apple flavor. A nice hint of hops as well is evident in the finish as is the 8.5% alcohol.

Mouthfeel: A nice and light body with medium high carbonation.

Overall: WOW. This is a damn good beer. Very drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In a chalice, 45F:

Looks great, solid head with legs over a opaque golden color. Farm smell hit me right after uncorking, which quickly dissipated and left behind some pleasant bready yeast and lemon. Tastes similar with pleasant - but not very strong - hoppy finish. Fine bubbled carbonation, and surprisingly velvety. Highly, highly drinkable, I'd gladly put away a few.

Overall: Refreshing quad that's well priced and quite attainable. Definitely worth keeping one around in case the mood strikes.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

this is my first duvel ever. ommegang chalice. says best before 04 2011.

a- looks heavily carbonated. bubbly white head on top of a semi-opaque gold liquid. the bubbles are extremely active. As it slows down the head gets smoother, creamier.

s- tart citrus of lemon, orange zest, a little banana sweetness. bready malts. overhanging slight smell of an over light-exposed beer, but it could be my imagination.

t- banana up front with a strong lemon juice sourness. bready in the middle and through the finish with a little fruit sweetness. Nothing incredibly complex here, but not bad either. The sourness comes on a bit too strong for me.

m- creamy, but with near champange like levels of carbonation. this is fairly pleasing.

d- this beer is just a tad bit too tart for my liking. some of what it's got is good, but I can't really get all that into it. maybe just not my thing. It's not bad, just not what I'd usually choose to drink.

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Mea culpa, being rather new to the field of beer and without all the requisite glassware, this Duvel was poured into a standard 16 oz. pint glass. This, of course, did not work as a full four finger-high head of foam with a look and consistency of white meringue hit the rim before I was even done pouring, so I let it sit for a few minutes and got the other 3 oz. or so in there. It really is a thing of beauty, a nice gold though opaque for me as I found out about the yeast all too late, and superb lacing, leaving bands down the glass.

S - Slightly sweet but with a pretty strong malt note as if to signal you're about to drink a big beer. I don't think I'd have been confident enough in the banana note to mention it without seeing the other citations of it on here so it's here but I wouldn't call it in the forefront. Rather nice.

T - I've gotta say it's slightly tart, and I can't pick much out in particular except the alcohol hitting the back of the throat on the finish, a byproduct of the above-average ABV. It's rather dry, like a champagne almost. Finish is very clean (dry) with no bitterness to speak of, just that slight alcohol tinge that I'd wager you'll notice less and less as you drink it, but if you're used to lower ABVs I'd say it'll be detectable but likely not a show-stopper for you. As soon as it was gone I felt myself wanting one more sip.

M - Carbonation seems just a bit weak to me, maybe just because I'm expecting a ton with this massive head. Body would be fairly full and creamy, partly because you'll likely have quite a bit of foam with every sip. Hits a sweet spot in cellaring temperature, and then seems to get progressively heavier as it warms (or as you imbibe the 8.5% ABV).

D - I have to say, I like this beer quite a bit, but the high ABV will likely knock you on your butt before you can really have a "session" with these. I'm a relative novice to beer and this could well be a "gateway beer" out of macros and into beer nirvana. I will say that I sampled two other beers today and about 2/3 of the way through the Duvel I would say drunk is a pretty appropriate term at the moment.

For those in Louisville or Lexington, Liquor Barn sells these as singles for a dollar, as opposed to the $3 or $4 you'd normally pay or $6 in bars like O'Sheas or Nachtbar. At a buck it's probably one of the best beer values around.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

The white foam whipped to a fine consistency across the surface, a maelstrom of tiny bubbles, cloudy dark straw yellow, yet allowing for visibility of the streaming beads. Focused penetrating power to the nose, lemon and white grapefruit citrus, onion skin, apple, pear and pomegranate fruit, fresh yeast yet to ferment, light mixed baking spices, hoppy without seeming caught in the "hops versus malts" dichotomy. Medium-bodied, with the firmness to appear denser and larger. The ginger, clove more evident here, teams up nicely with the lemon, grapefruit citrus. The carbonation nudges more than pushes. Apple, apricot, cherry fruit, more snap than juice. Allusion to honey, grain to granola flavors. While well-paced, there's also a creaminess to absorb any bumps in the road. Pulls it off without any noticeable effort.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours with an excellent head with an off balance pure white head that looks like clouds or something I would want to fall asleep on. Body is a cloudy yellow color with carbonation throughout.

Citrus, almost exclusivley lemon. Farm smells, but appealing and a bready finish.

Lemon flavor, with a malt backbone. Very bready finish that is very pleasant.

Creamy, well carbonated and very pleasant.

Very drinkable, I really enjoyed this beer, and I could drink lots of this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a nice golden color with a very frothy head. this beer, more than any other I've had, gives develops the most head while pouring.. to the point of almost overflowing.. I don't know if its just me or what..
Aroma is sort of light.. its nice but a bit too light.
Taste is delicious. Very champagne like, a bit bit fruity. Sweetness is not syrupy. Its a bit citrusy, and definitely fruity. Sort of dry, like champagne.
Mouth is very bubbly and, again, has a dry champange feel to it.
Overall its very tasty and very easy to drink.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured into Duvel Tulip.

Great yellow, clear, color that produces a thick white head. Head slowly goes down, but it's a beast.

First taste that hit me was the alcohol. Not sure why...so I let this warm to room temp...much better.

Smells a little fruity, yeast and a little sweet overall.

Tastes of citrus and fruit in general. Some yeast and a little tart. Nice and crisp.

Medium mouthful, lots of carbonation.

Worthy of trying again, think I just got started off on the wrong foot with this brew.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a pale golden yellow. The head is very dense, pillowy and clings to the sides of the glass very well. The head on this one gives it a 5/5 for looks.

Smell is citusy and spicey at the same time. Very classic belgian strong ale. A lot of hops in the nose thankfully.

The taste is both sour and citusy. There is some slight spice from the hops and the malt is very sweet and sugary. I admit that this style is not one of my favourites, but Duvel is the defining beer of the style. Not a lot of alcohol at all, while the yeast is quite pronounced.

The mouthfeel is pretty thin with a medium carbonation.

Good drinkability for the ABV and overall.

Duvel is a little overhyped IMHO. This is a very classic pale Belgian strong ale and is what is to be expected and not a lot more.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If I could have each finger on my right hand represent a Belgian beer that I could take to my grave, I'd probably let this one be my pinky drinkey.

A: In case you forget how the beer is supposed to be presented, refer to the box. Detailed instructions on how to pour. Once poured a nice highly carbonated foamy head atop the the color was a bright gold.

S: I smell apples, airy citrus, alcohol, and some spice of life.

T: Tastes race out with the apples/lemons/fruit flavors of the beer, midway we get warm spice, and in the end are pelted with stones of crispness.

M: Medium, starts fuller and ends with high carbonation.

D: Easily drinkable for most anyone, you could pass this one off to anyone. The high ABV would prevent me from lining these guys up

The true Champagne of Beers.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

L: Pours a really pale and almost clear straw yellow with a large but airy white head that takes a long time to fade but laces the glass nicely all the way down.
S: Smells of sweet toasted malts, hints of fruity yeast aromas, and a touch of earthy hops at the end of it.
T: Tastes of very sweet toasted malts, then flavors of citrus, apples, then a sharp bitter earthy hop bite.
M: Very smooth, nice amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable. I had no idea when I was drinking it that there was 8.5% abv, I would have guess 5% while I was drinking it. Really nice job on disguising that and since all the flavors blended well, it's definitely worth it.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Huge foam pour which starts to look like a layer of cool whip as it sits. Nice clear pale yellow color.

Smells of citrus, pinapple and green apple characteristics.

Tastes great with a creamy feel followed by a sharp bite at the swallow. Each sip is accompanied by foamy goodness which makes for a unique drinking experience. Major lacing all over the snifter.

Awesome beer that is highly recommended!

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV