Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +4%

330ml bottle Best before 01/2009

Poured into a Duvel glass. Had this many times and was my first Belgian. Still impressed by the look of this beer. Deceptively pale, explosive carbonation in every part of the glass; not just the middle or up the sides, everywhere. Three-finger head after a perfect pour that is stiff on top and rocky. Bright white in color. Smells kinda like a tripel with light spicy hops and winey, light fruity smells. Also somewhat phenolic. Taste the crisp and light spicy hop profile and the sweeter pale malts. Lighter mouthfeel and extremely bubbly. Slightly drying with a pleasant bitterness. Laces the glass from the highest point of the head all the way down. Very drinkable for the style and an excellent, easily-found Belgian. Would drink daily if I could and still have a soft spot for the beer that turned me on to Belgians.

vwcraig, Feb 11, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into my Duvel tulip glass.
A - Pale golden yellow, slightly hazy with a huge two inches of fluffy, rich white head.
S - Spicy yeast, stone fruits such as apricot and nectarine, just a touch nutty.
T - Sweet and tangy citrus, and fruity flavors with rich, sweet malt notes.
M - Dry and clean with moderate amounts of carbonation.
D - A really refreshing golden ale, considering it's strength. I drink this beer often, usually with a smile on my face. Classic.

ClockworkOrange, Feb 09, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

This one's been sitting in my fridge for a while now, and I figured what better reason to crack it open than, well, for no reason at all!

APPEARANCE: A wonderful golden color that is barely hazy. A huge, rock-solid white head sits on top and shows no signs of going anywhere anytime soon. Let it be known that I should've heeded the warning on the label and poured this much more unhurriedly.

SMELL: First hit is of strong yeast, but some light fruits begin to shine (apricots, peach) as well as a hint of citrus. I took a few extra whiffs of this one, and with each one, I cannot help but think that this is the quintessential aroma of a BSPA.

TASTE: So complex! The fruity tones really shine in the taste and even morph themselves a bit from the smell. Now some darker fruits such as raisins and figs can be tasted. Playing backup is a surprisingly pronounced hop presence as well as a bready yeastiness. The alcohol is nearly undetectable.

MOUTHFEEL: Smooth and easy. Carbonation may be a tad high for my tastes though.

DRINKABILITY: If going by the "how empty is my glass by the time I get to this section" test, this one has to rate pretty darn high. And with the 8.5% ABV, look out! Two or more of these (and believe me, I could), and you'll be well on your way to a great night.

So perhaps there was a reason for me to pull this one out of the fridge tonight. And that is because Duvel is that good a beer; how you could you not drink it!

jmalex, Feb 09, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle.

Appearance--Wow. That's some impressive, tight, foamy head! Excellent retention. Beer is a slightly hazy golden color.

Smell--Spicy and aromatic.

Taste/Mouthfeel--A very complex and tasty brew. Hoppy notes and a distinct spiciness. Floral flavors all over. Perfect carbonation, slightly dry mouthfeel.

Drinkability--Even at 8.5% this goes down very easily.

arnulfooxblood, Feb 06, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 750ml into a 500ml goblet

Appearance - Pours a Bud colored pale golden with a thick two finger clunky head. Retention is very good. Lacing could be a little better.

Smell - Very lager like, with hints of bannanna. A little bite from the alchohol is present, but understated.

Taste - Very dry with a nice spicyness. Hot alchohol hits the tongue, and fades down the throat. Slightly cloying with the diacetyl crispness of a lager. Although an ale, it seems more lagerish to me. *edit* As it warms some more fruity esters can be found.

Mouthfeel - Thick creamy explosion happens as soon as the beer hits your tongue. Very typical for this style.

Drinkability - I'll be all Duveled out after this 750. Tasty, and easy drinking. But just not as complex as I would like. Now, the Maredsous 10...

Bobikel, Feb 05, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +4%

This is a damned fine beer!

Looks fantastic in my duvel glass, beautiful rocky head that lasted nearly the entire glass. Lacing very prevalent. Nothing at all I would change.

Smell's a little weak, lots of fruit and alcohol. Nothing really grabs me tho.

Taste is fantastic, but slightly lacking in complexity. I was expecting a little more, I must admit. Either way, it tastes great... apples and citrus mostly, alcohol comes throught at the end but not overwhelming. Nice warming of the tummy on this cold winter night.

It's got a great body and perfect amount of carbonation. Leaves a slight hoppy finish.

I don't know if I'd drink more than 2 of these in a sitting, but they're awfully easy to put down, and at the price I found it, it can't be beat.

I'll make sure to pick up a couple more bottles next time I go to the store!

SaucyA, Feb 03, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Between the price of the beer and purchasing the "Duvel" Tulip Glass, I spent a nice chunk of change. I went to the Duvel website and watched the video on how to pour this beer. I did it right, my glass looks just like the one in the picture, half liquid/half foamy head. I admired my pour, then drank...
ooof-ah, I spent that much money on skunk beer?
wait, lemme sip slower, I'm gulping this stuff.
ok, that's better. I don't smell or taste fruit, I smell yeast/wheat and taste a hint of champagne with an alcohol bite then a hint of wheat.
bubbles, lots of bubbles, I burped loudly then held one back and let it out of my nose, I got that wheat smell in my nose again.
ok, am I ashamed of myself for dropping the money on this beer? no way, overall it ain't bad beer, I like the bottle, the glass, the foam in my nose, and the high abv buzz factor I have right now as I enjoy my 3rd of 4 bottles, I thought it would be good to write the review now as after my 4th, I might ramble on and on and...
ooops, my bad!
this is a good beer, worth the price and I think anyone who likes Belgian beers should give it a try.

JoeyBeerBelly, Feb 03, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

It's been a while since I had this one...

Poured into my Duvel glass. Pours a bright gold color, a bit cloudy, and with a huge head.

Beer smells spicy, dusty, and floral. The aromas are quite strong.

This starts with a crisp green apple flavor, and then settles into a big creamy mouthfeel. On the finish, there is a hint of bitterness that really helps balance this out nicely. Beer actually tastes quite light for an 8.5% ABV ale.

Mouthfeel is excellent, great round feeling,and with perfect carbonation.

Drinkability is really good, this goes down really easy. Amazingly crisp and refreshing beer.

flexabull, Feb 03, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a very light straw color with white chunky head with some big bubbles that doesn't go away soon. Smells a bit yeasty with some sweet spiciness. Tastes very sweet with some alcohol vapor making the mouth feel very weird, but still very good. Mouthfeel is very heavy without any carbonation burn. All in all, it's very drinkable and very tasty.

Kulrak, Feb 02, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

a: champagne-color, only with a little haze, very nice head that slowly dissipates decent thickness, leaves a lot of lacing on glass
s: spicy banana odors, very clean & impressive
t: yeast, citrus with warm but hidden alcohol finish. very good balance of malts & hops
m: smooth, crisp mouthfeel with light to medium body which belie the 8.5% abv, good carbonation
d: very smooth & almost looks, smells, tastes, & acts like a nice sparkling wine. i've had a few of these over time & it's always interesting how the palate evolves -- not as great as i remember the 1st few times, but always great to return to.

belgbeerdrinker, Feb 02, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Came with a tulip glass. While pouring I found the foam to rise extremely fast causing me to wonder if perhaps I was pouring it wrong. The head actually dissipated quickly and left a very nice lacing. I did notice that when I first poured the beer was very clear-looking especially for a high alcohol one. After pouring though, the color came to a very nice golden color.

The smell was very good. It gave a very good but not overwhelming hoppy smell. The smell revealed something vaguely underneath waiting to show itself.

Very surprisingly the taste waiting to come forth was something similar to a lightly sweet berry taste. Much of the alcohol though held the berry foretaste from coming through completely. There were also hints of other tastes like bananas and orange but very light.

My glass of Duvel really had a nice light feel to it. Not too much but definitely not a flaccid feel.

Honestly, this is probably not a beer I would buy a lot of at a bar (the price at Lassiter's Tavern in Atlanta for this was $7USD a bottle!). I would definitely buy this one occasionally from a good beer store. If someone had this at their house and offered it freely, I'd happily drink it though.

hseritt, Jan 30, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

The beer pours excellently into a tulip glass forming one of the thickest, non-nitro heads I've ever seen. The lacing lasts for the entire drinking experience. The liquid just slightly cloudy with dozens of minature bubbles running up in columns of greatness. Duvel smells like a light crispy beer with hints of orange and sweet malts. It tastes fresh and balanced, but no single ingredient stands out. The 8.5% alcohol content is hidden in the flavor, making it dangerous or awesome depending on the circumstances In my mouth the beer is crisp and light with slightly heavy carbonation, but this does not ruin the drinking experience making for a great beer anytime, anyplace.

The Public House in Boston hands out stickers that say "Why not Duvel?" and I second that thought.

crzyd12, Jan 30, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

One of the best beers in the world and for good reason, Duvel is a treasure to behold.

The appearance is golden, much like that of a pilsner with a massive white fluffy head that reaches the very top of my Duvel tulip. This beer is a joy to look at and pretty close to the equivalent of beer sex. Belgian lace is left throughout and the head lasts the entire duration of the glass. Impressive!

The scent has a slight banana feel, but is dominated by spice more than anything with hints of other fruits coming to the forefront as well.

The taste is heaven in a glass. It's as flavorful as they come, with hints of saez hops and an ever so slight hint of bitterness, all this balanced out by just enough malt.

The drinkability and mouthfeel are both well above average and both are quite suitable for a session beer. When I say session... I mean session... this one simply put goes down with ease and could easily be drank over and over again. (scary given the 8.5 percent abv.... an 8.5 that is virtually nonexistent in the taste.

I'm disappointed in myself for waiting this long to review this gem. I'm a long established sucker for Belgian beers and have been since shortly after discovering better beers and this is truly World Class and every way. Quite possibly 'the' prime example of why Belgian Ales are held in such high esteem.

JoeyHotrod, Jan 29, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Golden (cloudy) with a good foamy white head with tones of yellow.
S: Oh my god! Olives, salt, flowers (like walking in to a florist), yeast, citrus, red berries and dried fruits. Pears in syrup. Root beer. This one is full of surprises. Smells like a really good wine, a wheat beer and the snacks that goes with it.
T: Just like the smell, but a distinct, but not disturbing, tone of alcohol. Raisins of muscat grapes. I can't believe I haven't drunk this one much more often.
M: Tiny pricky bubbles below medium body, kind of dry.
Very good taste, wonderful aroma and altoghether an exceptional beer. My only reservation is that I feel the alcohol in my forehead almost immediately. But, oh my god!

Hammarby, Jan 28, 2007

Purchased from BevMo at $2.99 for a 330 ml bottle, on to the beer:

Poured slowly into a chalice, it pours a light blonde with a heavy, cloudy body. The head retention is excellent and there's plenty of lacing sticking to the glass as the beer is sipped. An extremely addictive sweet smell of ripe fruits arise from the glass. The taste too is extrememly sweet, but with a big kick of peppers and alcohol to follow. The ladder will slap your tongue around, and the vast carbonation numbed my tongue. AHHH!! My palate can't take that kind of abuse yet! It still has a nice flavor though.

DoubleJ, Jan 28, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The first beer I indulged in with my new Duvel tulip. It just seemed fitting.

A- One of the coolest looking beers I have seen. It is obvious the glass was made for this beer. The "D" engraving at the bottom of the tulip really does wonders for the carbonation release and head retention. Beautiful clear golden color. Frothy white head that just doesn't want to go anywhere.

S- Fruit, Belgian spices, a little bit of alcohol. Some of that sourness that comes with the Belgian spices or yeast is apparent as well.

T- Sweetness, a massive amount of complexity. A lot more flavor than one would expect from how clean and clear this beer looks.

M- Very light due to the massive amount of carbonation. The alcohol becomes a bit more warming near the end, but is hidden very well overall.

D- Very good. At first I didn't see what all the fuss was about with this beer, but after having tried it a few times, my eyes have been opened. Well worth the money.

david131, Jan 27, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

It pours a lovely golden yellow color with a big, foamy white head that stuck around a long time. The aroma was that of some fruits (bananas), Belgian spices, and a hint of alcohol.

The taste is very well balanced, with fruits and spices up front and a big, warming alcohol finish. It is quite bubbly, and almost champagne-like in texture. Still, it's really a solid beer that is worth your money. Drinkability is a touch lower because of the high alcohol and astringent finish. Otherwise, a very good beer.

BBM, Jan 25, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Though 'Belgian-challenged' on availability in our area, it's great to savor a brew that lives up to it's acclaim. Poured a beautiful cloudy subtle golden with an awesome white, creamy head that didn't diminish. Just an excellent flavor. A well balanced blend of malts and flavors. Exceptional mouthfeel and drinkability, with a super clean finish. I shared the four-pack with my wife and enjoyed watching her response to a relative quality brew. A newfound favorite for both of us.

bushwhacker, Jan 25, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

reviewing a beer this important from memory is dangerous business, but after about three bottles in belgium and a recent 750 in the states, I feel qualified. I'm ready to amend if need be.

poured (very, very carefully) a gorgeous, unfiltered gold with an explosive head. this beer stands up in any glass, but in its native tulip it is stunning. the aroma is pretty complex-- belgian yeast and an unexpected witlike note with a just a bit of sourness. tastes like it smells (fantastic) and hides the alcohol very well, although you'll realize it's there when you're both hammered and thirsty.

it's full and strong on the palate; alcoholic warmth doesn't come through until well into the bottle.

kajerm, Jan 24, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

This is my second beer that I'm having in honor of fellow BA and Mexico's Beerfly guide, Pepeton. It was his birthday last week. I first had Stone's Double Bastard for his birthday, but I had to cut out most of his birthday greetings from my review because it was too long. Now I'm going to match his Duvel review.

I got the little 330ml/11.2 oz. crazy looking bottle. It's a very unique bottle. I wouldn't even know what to call the shape of the bottle. It has a big bottom and then goes into 2 humps that connects to the small straight neck of the bottle. Can I call it a Penguin bottle? You have to see the bottle for yourself. If you lived in a beer barn all of your life, then you wouldn't know that Duvel is Flemish for Devil. It just has a plain simple front label with the word "Duvel" in big red letters and the Duvel coat of arms above it. No big 12 foot red devil ruling over the 12th level of hell with a pitchfork in hand, just a simple plain white label. The back white label has pouring instructions, information about the beer, US Government warning, and a small black box in the bottom left hand corner that has a best before date and a number that has to meaning to the consumer below that. Mine was best before May 2009.

Appearance: I didn't have the Duvel glass they have pictured on their website or label, so the closest glass I had to that was a Corsendonk Christmas Ale goblet. Worked out just fine. The beer was a hazy golden light lemon yellow or you can say it was a healthy urine yellow. Either way is fine. It had one of the best head of foam that I've seen on a beer. As soon as you pour it, this big fluffy white cloud of foam just rises up so fast that you have to stop pouring half way or it will just overflow the glass. It had excellent retention that left behind 2 tons of white foamy rings and white lace. Sometimes there is more white lace around your glass then beer in your glass. Like the bottle, the head of foam rising up is another thing you need to see for yourself to appreciate from this beer.

Smell: It had an aroma of just cloves, pepper, a hint of yeast, splash of alcohol, and some Belgian fruits in the background. It was more peppery than anything else. Still good, just a bit too peppery.

Taste: It tasted like the Devil himself was dancing on my tongue while wearing his red hot clogs! It really didn't taste like that, but I just had to put it down. It tasted like they really subdued the devil inside this beer. He tried to retaliate at the end, but no problem, they got him a second time. What I'm trying to say is that this beer had strong peppery hops with it's alcohol friend in the beginning, but as soon as it emerged, it was subdued by cloves, yeast, a pinch of toasted malts, and some Belgian fruits. The peppery hops/alcohol tried to come out again, but to no avail. It was already too weak from being conquered by the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: I would have to say that it's in the medium bodied range with an aftertaste of pepper, a smidge of your common bitter hops, and a slight taste of candy sugar in the background.

Drinkability: The back label told me to enjoy this perfection of a beer. Is this beer perfection? Not really. Is it good? Yes! Would I buy it again? Yes, because of the cool funky bottle and to see the massive head of foam just rise up from out of nowhere.

Happy Birthday Pepeton! I Hope you enjoyed my 2 reviews that I had in honor of your birthday! If you're reading this, please send him a birthday beermail. He will appreciate it very much.

AltBock, Jan 21, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

I thank to good that this beer is available at a local supermarket.

It pours a beautiful golden color, with a lot of nice white head.

Smells malty and spicy somewhat fruity.

Tastes malty with pepper and pears and a little bitterness.

Nice body, fair carbonization makes me ask for more and more.

moonman00, Jan 17, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

I call this the most beautiful beer in the world. The way this beer looks in the glass is the way every macro brew beer commerical out there tries to get their beers to look on TV.

Golden color is gorgeous, topped by the legendary enormo-head. I told my wife I had topped it with whipped cream and she believed me.

Smell is good, but not earth shattering. Light fruits and malt. Alcohol is apparent which I don't like.

One of the better tasting golden beers around. I'm a stout man, so I'm always skeptical of beer I can see through. This doesn't disappoint. Wonderful mix of fruits and malts. Bit of alcohol present at the end. Very clean with a delightful aftertaste (how many times does that happen).

Maybe a bit light and fizzy in the mouth for my tastes.

I've been drinking this beer a long time, and I've taken to calling it the "Budweiser Select" of Belgian ales. Bold Taste, Clean Finish. Expect Everything.

But for real, in this case.

cowace2, Jan 17, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

I poured unhurriedly as the 11.2 oz. bottle suggests, and was rewarded with a beautiful clear straw colored body topped with a rich foamy white head.

Yeast and malt on the nose, lovely.

Mostly yeast on the tongue as well, with maybe a light sour apple in the background.

Crisp and bubbly, it finishes clean.

joeskirkie, Jan 13, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured unhurriedly from bomber into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a translucent golden-yellow with huge white head. Etching in the bottom of the glass causes carbonation to shoot up the center of the glass in a torrent; the head is consequently higher in the center than at the edges. My wife and I call it "the Duvel button."

S: Light grain up front with crisp apple, clove, pepper, and a hint of estery banana.

T/M: Sweet, light malt up front. Nicely estery with some clove, pepper, banana and crisp, dry apple. Finish is lightly bitter with a touch of warming alcohol. Mouthfeel is light, crisp, nicely carbonated. Not overly fizzy for such an active beer in the glass.

D: Insert standard line about high drinkability despite high abv here: ___. A classic, and an always enjoyable beer.

rarevos, Jan 11, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

This beer is to be admired - widely available and still widely praised. Duvel taught me that beer had texture in addition to taste and aroma, and is a wonderful thing to behold.

This beer pours a pale yellow with secondary fermantation providing plenty of cloud-like head (it towered 1 1/2" over the rim of my Chimay glass). Smell is slightly sweet and very aromatic. The taste is yeasty, spicy (cloves?), and wonderful. Mouthfeel of this beer is unique; it is so soft and smooth. Duvel is an awesome drinking experience.

BeerBelcher, Jan 09, 2007