Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

pDev: 12%
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

I had a second Duvel quite a while after my first one and this time I tried it Oosters.
Duvel pours out with a thick lasting head. Emanating from the mouth of the Duvel Tulip
glass was a nice aromatic yeasty, spicey smell which translates to a nice wheat and yeast
tasting beer with a clear dash of spices which probably includes corriander. I could really
appreciate it this time as compared to the first time when I had it. The taste was
satisfyingly strong with a closed to full body mouth feel. Carbonation was average and the
8.5 ABV felt surprisingly drinkable. The finish was slightly dry and the after taste seems
to be more on wheat and spices. It was sad that the after taste was not as strong and not
really lasting on the pellate. The first time I had the Duvel, I felt that it was
slightly bitter and the alcohol seems to kick in fast. Duvel was my first strong Belgian
ale and perhaps back then I had not developed the correct form of appreciation for this
kind of beer; now I have. The Duvel is definitely a good to great beer.

basica, Jun 21, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Pale clear gold color with head. No, let me rephrase. HEAD!!!! Down in front! It's like an orange on a toothpick. The smell is lemon zest and sweet malt. The taste has a malt front, notes of pears and apricots, and then a...now take this the right way...pleasant soapiness to it. Seriously, it tastes like soap smells but in a good way. The finish has a nice refreshing hop bite. Definitely the best of the style. The mouthfeel is silky with a nice carbonation (no wonder) to break the whole thing up nicely. The drinkability is everything a hot day demands and a balanced beer offers. Someone open me another one.

roblowther, Jun 19, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +8.2%

This is a fantasticly drinkable beer, with one problem: the foam is big and durable. If you pour this too quickly, you'll have a huge head to deal with.

For a pale ale, this is amazingly smooth: not bitter or overly hoppy. The smooth malt is in perfect balance with the hops.

Definitely a favorite.

Bugsey, Jun 18, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a nice hazy gloden color with a huge fluffy head that stands up out of the glass. It has the aroma of light fruit, pear-ish. In the taste, it is bold, a liitle sweet, a fruit presence, a nice dry finish, with a small hop presence. I wish I could get this on tap, I could drink it all day long. It is just a great beer.

OWSLEY069, Jun 17, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

As I continue to try more Belgian Ales, I finally broke down and bought this one. Poured into a snifter from a 11.2 oz. bottle, which took almost 10 minutes to pour, due to the huge head it created. The beer poured a clear almost white color, settling to a light gold in the glass. Huge thick creamy white head, that very slowly dissipated, with thick spots of lace on the glass. The aroma is slightly fruity. The flavor is not as complex as expected, but still interesting. Fruity flavor, I'm assuming from the yeast, along with a slight hop presence. Light mouthfeel, along with a not-so-smooth finish. The beer had a slight hop-harshness at the end, but still this is a very drinkable Belgian. I can see why it is so popular. Overall, this fullfilled my expectations, and I wouldnt mind having this again very soon.

beeragent, Jun 14, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bottle from Marty's Liquors in Allston, MA.

A: Medium gold color. Visibly effervescent. Belgian lacing. Gigantic moussy, craggy white head with great stand.

S: An outstanding aroma comes off this beer. Wonderful pear and orange fruity ester nose. Perfumy hop aromas compliment. Alcohol aromas are soft and perfumy. Malt character just peeks through. Peppery phenols also just peek through.

T: Malt flavor is pretty strong and adds good backbone. Fruity esters are strong - citrus and a little pear. Sweet alcohol flavor present. Light phenolic character weak. Dry bitter finish. Very complex.

MF: Medium though seems lighter because of high carbonation. Some alcohol warmth.

D: Excellent. A fully realized beer that is delicious and easy drinking.

Nipitato, Jun 11, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Maybe I'm being a little harsh here but this was my personal experience with this beer.

11.2oz bottle poured slowly into oversized wine glass (the glass was sitting upside down in a cupboard for some time, I gave it a smell test and seemed clear but for some reason I feel that this beer was contaminated in some way by the glass, I'll rinse out next time for sure)

Head forms almost as soon as the beer hits the glass, the end result is three fingers of pure white pillowy head coupled with a clear yellow for the beer itself. It seemed a little too clean and a little to bland for my taste but I only say so because of by preference for darker beer, the head was beautiful though...

Smell is quite nice and complex. Upfront is the yeast and malt which impart a sweet cookie-like aroma to the beer, later on with a bit of agitation get some faint floral aromas from the hops.

Bubbles hit right away and a little too overpowering for my tastes as it made it a little harder to get my finger on a specific taste. My gut tells me sweet biscuts upfront, malty flavor in the middle with a little fruit, bananna and apple on the tail end with a hit of hazelnut, still no easy task with the carbonation that hits upfront.

The longer I drink this the more it seems like I'm drinking milk, take that for what it's worth I guess. Not a bad or good feeling, it's just lingering.

All in all a very drinkable beer, but I think I would like to give it another go for a deeper appreciation.

bluemoonswoon, Jun 09, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance- Nice pale golden color, great pillowy white head sits nicely on top.

Smell- Very clean aroma, slightly floral with sweet fruit citrus at the end. Good yeast smell too.

Taste- Nice citrus up front with a complex finish, floral notes hit at the end as does the hops. Very well balenced beer. You can tell they-ve been making this one for a long time. Great example of a Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

Mouthfeel- lots of bubbles, delivers the flavor well. Gets better as it warms up.

Drinkablility- dangerously drinkable, thank god this is $3.50/bottle or else I'd be stocking up. Damn, if I only lived in Belguim....

Cascadia, Jun 09, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Ah, Duvel. This is one of the best beers on the planet. Poured this liquid gold from 11.5 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. The appearance is nothing short of spectacular: golden liquid with huge pillowy head, nearly spilling from the top of the glass. Smell is of foural hops.

The taste is unlike anything else. A sharp bitterness is immediately apparent, I can only assume comes from the hops, though I don't know what kind is used.

The mouthfeel is one of the best I've ever had. Sharp carbonation seems to scrub every are of your mouth. Even after witnessing the huge head, the level of carbonation is surprising.

This is a very drinkable beer, although the high abv begs for a limited quantity.

ztprez, May 31, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

Almost clear as it poured from the bottle with tons of carbonation and a head that took up half the glass--I was pouring from a stubby 330 ml bottle and couldn't fit it all into a pint glass the head was so thick. The color was golden, very pale, and clear in the glass. The smell was sweet and alcoholic, it reminded me of La Fin du Monde, though the flavor was not as strong. Taste was sweet, light, somewhat yeasty, and alcoholic. All very mild; nothing overpowering. Crisp, clean mouthfeel. I suppose this is a good beer, but it doesn't seem like anything special to me.

PhiloPsych, May 28, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Served in 20oz stemless red wine glass.

A - Yellow, just bordering on orange. Crystal clear, tons of carbonation. The most delicate looking head I've ever seen, pillowy and white, thick and longlasting. Beautiful.

S - clean spice, light malt sweetness. Somewhat subdued, but pleasant.

T - The first sip explodes in the mouth, overwhelming me... very bold profile. Sweetness is quite low and it has a very dry finish. I'm finding it hard to describe the distinct flavours... also has a bit of an alcohol note.

M - Almost champagne like. Sprtizy, light and dry.

D - While the dryness keeps things refreshing, I find it mutes the overall flavour.

This is a good beer, but not my favourite Belgian. Gets better as it warms up.

markaberrant, May 26, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a 330ml into my Duvel tulip. Bottle marked "enjoy by 05 2009". A huge white head formed leaving behind lots of lace. The inscribed "D" on the bottom of the glass provides a constant stream of carbonation release throughout. What a cool freaking glass.

A: The color is a pale golden hue, it looks almost like a macro lager. Very clear as my careful pouring left all the yeast in the bottle.

S: Lots of yeast, some alcohol as well as some light fruit.

T: Some light pepper as well as the light fruits. A very nice balance between the sweetness, the slightly bitter hops and the pale malts. Warming alcohol at the end, but not nearly as much as one would expect with the 8.5%.

M: Not as syrupy as some other Belgian pales that I've tried. It has an exceptional mouthfeel: medium bodied, great carbonation, creamy yet smooth and at the same time crisp and clean.

D: A very drinkable and refreshing beer for all the alcohol is packs. Probably the best Belgian Strong Pale Ale that I've had. It's very enjoyable; crisp, clean, smooth and quite tasty.

willjschmidt, May 24, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

poured into chalice from bottle.

A- Golden yellow with a beautiful white foam head that stays big thru the sample.

S- A sweet candy and yeasty smell that has a light booze aroma underneath.

T- The sweet malt taste is paired nicely with the cloves. The alcohol burn is more noticable after several sips.

M- Creamy and sweet.

D- A very enjoyable beer. I have had this beer before, but I have never slowed my drinking down to enjoy the nuances of this ale. The alcohol (8.5) came on early, but it let me slowup and enjoy the changes that occur as the beer warms.

mobud, May 21, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Best before 07/2009 date on 11.2 oz bottle. Highly carbonated – light spritz when opened – but nothing messy.

Rocky foam over pale straw-gold, bubbles, lacing as foam slowly recedes.
Aroma is just fantastic, pils malt with a tantalizing phenolic spice. The phenolics are quite evident during the first taste. The finish is dry, with noticeable alcohol. In the mouth, there is a thin lightness, the digestible character of Belgian brews that I’ve read about.

I am drinking it unpaired with food, but on a full stomach. Its malty and spicy aroma and crisp flavor work well all by itself, but I don’t think I’ll drink another right now. The merits of the beer would be lost on me. The bottle tells me it is 8.5% alcohol, and I am noticing it after only 3-4 oz.

pweis909, May 21, 2007
4.25/5  rDev 0%

FINALLY got this one, after seeing it sitting on the shelf every day, mocking me with it's way-too-expensive price tag. But I took the dive and got it, and I'll do it again. Pours an incredible, fluffy, foamy head over a nice light straw color. Foam seems to never go away. Great lacing too. Nose is great, nice spices and a good bit of hops too. Taste is excellent. Fruit all over the place, pears, apples, some lemons and oranges too. A nice hit of hops at the end. Very tasty. Feel is medium to full bodied, good carbonation. A really excellent beer, one I'll go back to again for sure.

soupyman10, May 19, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel glass.

A: golden appearance that pours 50/50 liquid and foam. I rated this 5 on appearance because this beer has the best head on a beer that I've seen. It is rocky and tightly beaded, leaving a lace as it slowly recedes. Also has clarity.

S: spicy aroma with a hint of hops.

T: has a spiced pear flavor, moving into a light malt taste mixed with some bitterness and ending with a bitter aftertaste. The spicy/light pear flavor tends to dominate the rest with the bitterness complementing it.

M: very light for a heavy beer, well-carbonated and effervescent.

D: way too drinkable if there is such a thing. This beer is so easily consumed that you can easily reach for more. Make sure you are at home or with a DD.

joeysmokedporter, May 19, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Beer pours a pale/white color with a generous head of foam. Aroma is one of fruit, especially apple, mixed in with spice. The taste is somewhat subdued with hints of apple and spice melting away into an aftertaste that is somewhat smooth and thin. It's somewhat smooth and drinkable when it gets to the back of the throat that is.

Overall, pretty well balanced for such a strong beer. For some reason, I feel the mouthfeel falls flat.

Brad007, May 18, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

This light golden brew pours wonderfully into a tulip glass. I would steer towards the tulip as this beer produces a massive thin bubbled head. It will stick around for a while, giving you a chance to admire the color and the aroma.

The taste is not overwhelmingly of alcohol, even with it's 6%+ ABV. It feels nice on the tongue, with moderate carbonation. If you drink this from the bottle, you get a much different feel than if you drink from a glass after a proper pour to release the gas.

An easy to drink, higher alcohol, beer, Duvel seems to be easy to find. A bonus!

TPSReports, May 14, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip glass - Large head that slowly disaptes and reveals how little beer was in the bottle. Malty aroma with hints of citrus and lagery hops. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light but not at all watery. Smooth flavor consisting of malt, fruity sweetness. Fairly good beer but I think Chimay does this type of ale better.

rm0312, May 12, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

$10.49/Four Pack
Dan's Liquor
Plover, Wisconsin

Appearance - Make sure you pour this beer as directed. It has a pale golden shimmer highlighted by a fantastic array of dancing carbonation. The head is a perfect white that stays forever. It's so firm you'll think is a meringue.

Smell - It has a refreshingly smooth aroma. A subtle sweetness captures this sense and begs to taste.

Taste - The first mouthful is unexpectedly awkward. After a few sips it fits exactly where I want it to, and is very hard to put it down. It starts off sweet and finishes bitter.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation creating the action upon the pour comes back to haunt it causing a coarseness on the tongue. However, the feeling it offers down the back of my throat is smooth and sultry.

~ While I'll enjoy the 4 pack I purchased for $10.50 from Dan's Liquor I can't see myself pitching in another dimer and some change to the Central European brewery.

cdkrenz, May 09, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +3.5%

Huge fluffy white head that sticks around as the beer is consumed. Wonderful golden color ale with plenty of C02 bubbles shooting up to the surface.

The aroma is of wheat and spices initially. As the beer warms some more citrus notes become apparent and maybe some banana.

The taste is very complex. Initially taste strongly of wheat, but as the beer lingers on the tongue it becomes tart and spicy. Alcohol sweetness is also present. I would not mind having this beer anytime.

icemonkey908, May 07, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: 11oz bottle in (what else?) a Duvel tulip glass!

ASIDE: Props to the Moortgat family who, on the reverse of the bottle's label, give proper pouring advice, temperature recommendation (40-50F) and this lovely suggestion to "...enjoy with discerning friends or good looking strangers"!!!

Opened with a PFFT, and initially poured (s-l-o-w-l-y) with an almost steak on the grill like sizzle sound, crisp, lite, full of vitality. Strong yeast up front, spicy with soft clove, a trace of coriander, excuse of white pepper, sweet alcohol, summer straw. With some air citrus fruits like grapefruit & pineapple are detectable. The nose continues to grow & bloom. This is nice just taking time to savor the developing bouquet. More time and the malts roar back, strong straw & hay are present as well as some apple cider hues.

Head is downright insane - easily 3 fingers (even pouring s-l-o-w-l-y) of super thick, sticky, tight, pearl white foam that looked like a winter mountainscape of sculpted peaks. Lacing is staccato & curtain like.

The body is a slightly hazed, lemon kissed pale golden hue, a nice parade of bubbles rising from the beveled D in the glass bottom. Much love went into making this a sensory treat.

Mmmmm...light, crisp, clean. The yeast play with the grapefruit qualities, a pleasing, cider dry, almost sour bite....nice. Malts are bready, dry crusts off artisan loaves, slight straw/hay accent. Its a bittersweet dryness with a soft crunch on the palate. There is a lot going on, a very complex ale. Its not requiring me to be a sipper, but definitely demands, or commands the respect of, some pacing...which is fine with me. I like it when a beer sets the pace, not I. Where am I going in a hurry anyway?

The clove & coriander take a more assertive stance on the palate, dancing atop a floor of those summer fields malts which have flattened to a bittersweet composite. Hops come alive, and the whole dance company sings farewell in a deep, sad voice, leaving in a bitter aria with an encore of an aftertaste that grows with warmth and heat (very nicely in the background until this point), coating the mouth & teeth in a fuzzed, sticky, chewy residue, almost like it wants you to be sad its gone.

Bravo to Duvel. An incredibly complex beer. This was very enjoyable, and there were no dead spots from pour to gulp. This is a beer I could see revisiting again & again, to try to learn more, to enjoy again, to fall siren to its amazing simple song. An outstanding beer. I am fast becoming a Belgian Strong Pale Ale fan. Highly recommended, dare I say almost "required" drinking to grasp the genre.

BuckSpin, May 06, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

From Fresh Direct

A-Golden clear with a huge soapy head, lots of lace with a steady stream of bubbles keeping the head alive. Gorgeous, this is what a beer should look like. I would like to confuse some American macro drinker with the colour.

S-Candy sugar, followed by a perfume like alchohol. There is also some hints of clove, pepper, slight banana and faint sour yeast.

T-A little more bitter than the smell. Still the first sip hits you with some sweetness then you get a bitter follow through and plenty of that spice on the end. The aftertaste leaves those spices with black pepper being the dominant flavour. The alcohol pervades the taste and is a presence.

M-Creamy with a lovely ammount of carbonation. Almost the perfect motuhfeel for a beer of any style.

D-The alcohol is perhaps a little too much in the forefront which hurts the overall drinkability. This however is a masterful beer that is in my rotation. Plus fresh direct delivery is a good thing.

sleazo, May 04, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Crystal clear very light golden yellow color. Creamy pure white head of over two inches took over ten minutes to settle down. Carbonation is jubilant enough to obscure vision through the glass. Lacing clumps are huge and pillow like.

Aroma smacks with spices and very crisp light fruit scents. Apple blends with a light white pepper in the major smell. Earthy malt has a hay like quality. Overall light and fruity on the nose.

Crisp grapes abound with a light peppery apple finish. A slight secondary flavor of earthy grass develops in the back of the mouth. There is an faint light hops bitterness, but it dies quickly to the sweetness.

Clings with a carbonation burst to all the surfaces. Light on the tongue but sturdy enough to retain the flavors.

A great beer in the style. This one would work excellent when paired with lox. A must try for anyone who is looking towards the style, and a solid hit for anyone with a taste for beer.

RedChrome, May 02, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Clear golden color w/ ~3 fingers of light head that sticks around and adheres well to the glass. Bubbles continue to rise along the side throughout the session. Word of caution...pour slowly. When I had this at a restaurant in Cooperstown, NY, the waitress was a bit rushed in the pour as wasted several ounces...it was tragic.
S: Very nice hop aromas, slightly sweet. A nice "prequel" of the taste to come.
T: This is what pale beer should taste like...nectar of the gods. Perfect blend of hops, barley, malt & yeast. The bottle conditioning gives a slight boost to the flavor.
M: High carbonation gives a moderate tingling; good aftertaste and an enjoyable experience.
D: Very drinkable and always enjoyable. I first had this many years ago in Switzerland, then again 2 years ago in Cooperstown. It has only been in the last year that I've been able to find it here in Omaha. But since my first tasting, I have thoroughly enjoyed this beer and look forward to each and every bottle.

mbutter1997, Apr 29, 2007