Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served from a unique 330ml brown stubby bottle into an over-sized wine glass. BB 05 2010.

A- Murky golden/yellow color and one of the nicest heads ive ever seen on a beer. Very fluffy white head remains and leaves excellent lace mainly in part due to very good retention.

S- Lots of spice and yeast, fairly fruity as well, with mineral aromas characteristic of a pilsner, interesting.

T- Very tasty!! Flavors of fruits up front, green apples, pears, some citrus and lemom. Flavors of yeast and clove caress the tongue, followed by spicy hops midway resembling Saaz hops. Bitter dry finish is surprisingly spicy. Alcohol is hidden, but not unnoticeable.

M- Magnificent! Very smooth with incredibly good carbonation. Effervescent.

D- Fairly good considering the ABV.

Overall I will be grabbing more of this for sure. Awsome beer and one of my favorites. Good for special occasions, just take it easy because the alcohol can creep up on you. Recommended.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Nice gold color with a nice thick head with plenty of lacing.

some spices accompany fruit and malt is also present.

Malty is the first thought that comes to mind, but as you get to the end, it smooths out nicely. I would say the carbonation makes it seems there is more alcohol than what you actually taste.. Great finish.

The malt and alcohol come to the tongue first, followed by the carbonation. Tough to swallow with the first sip, but becomes great as you drink.

I believe I will be drinking another and buying more in the future.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

yes, this baby is available in china, in the better restaurants and bars. in some specialty stores, you can even get two-packs that include a complimentary duvel glass.

and that's how i came to review it here, with a proper glass to pour into...

lovely gold color, with two inches of foamy, creamy head which barely even shrinks, leaving behind lots of lacing. one of the more beautiful sights to behold on this earth.

nose is flowery, fruity (pear? apple?), and spicy, with some malt background and yeastiness.

pale malts and prominent hops dominate the first sip, but give way to other complexities as you continue. the zestiness of the hops seems to prepare one for the sweet fruit notes that follow, but once again give way to the clean finish thanks to the pleasant bitterness. the high alcohol is not really all that subtle however.

very smooth, a slight astringency probably from the noticeably high alcoholic content. carbonation is lively but not overdone.

all in all, a great experience.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: The best looking beer, gold with streams of bubbles, huge head and good lacing.

Smell: Grapes, very wine-like.

Taste: Sugary, again very wine-like. I let it warm up for 30 minutes and a few bready flavors came through.

Drinkability: Not bad but not particularly memorable. Maybe I got a bad 4-pack?

This beer ended up disappointing me. When I had it several years ago, it seemed to be quite good, but for some reason this time around reminds me way too much of a high gravity malt liquor. I don't taste Belgian yeast notes, I don't taste a good mix of malty flavors. It looks absolutely perfect, but that's the best thing about it.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured a 330ml Duvel Belgian Golden Ale from bottle into a Duvel glass. Picture perfect 2 1/2 finger meringue-like foamy white head and a concentrated stream of bubbles emitting from the bottom of the glass. The color was hazy gold and there were nice lacings clinging to the glass.

The beer had a floral and fruit aroma with a hint of spice. There was a characteristic yeasty nose typical to the belgian style beer.

The taste was crisp and clean, medium to light bodied with a slight bitterness balance by sweetness. This is an excellent Belgian beer.

This is the best beer I've ever tried in my entire life.
I first tried it about 9 years ago on an Irish Pub in Buenos Aires. I instantly fell in love. I friend of mine told me, one of his friends was always reluctant to try this beer, every time his uncle was offering him one. He uncle always said to him "You have to try a Duvel, you have to try a Duvel", and this guys was always negative about giving Duvel a try. So finally at a wedding, his uncle brought one for him to his table and he said "Here you go, now try it". And this guys said to my friend, that that was a magical moment in his life. The moment he tried it, everything around him changed to a better color almost with a background magical music like the ones you see on fantasy movies. That was life changing for him, and since that day; Duvel became his favorite beer.

When my friend told me that story, I remember that that was pretty much how I felt about 9 years ago at that Irish pub in Buenos Aires.

Since then, Duvel became 'my beer' and I wasn't able to find another beer that taste as good as Duvel. I tried many beers, including Trappist Westvleteren 12, which is ranked #1 here in BA.
I like many other ones, and even though I can say La Fin Du Monde is my #2 favorite beer on earth, no other beer came even close to my mouth's soul as Duvel.

The only not positive think I can say about the bottle of Duvel (1 Pint 9.4 fl. oz. / 750 ml) is: it has too much foam when you first open it and you first serve it. You have to wait to your second glass until the foam 'calmed'.

A total pleasure to me is a cold Duvel with salty peanuts. Highly recommended.

Appearance: handsome label
Smell: like an expensive perfume without being perfume
Taste: like Duvel. No other way to describe it. It's unique.
Drinkability: Drink with a lot of respect.

My absolute favorite beer of all time. There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said about Duvel (it's complex fruity taste, accompanying hoppiness and perfect mouthfeel are legendary) so I'll just reinorce the mass consensus that this is a brew that must be in one's repertoire if one is to consider themselves a beer lover. It's remarkably drinkable for a 9% ABV, so watch out not to treat it lightly; and with its distinctive taste and massive head it really separates itself from the pack. There's no doubt in my mind that Duvel is the greatest-tasting readily available beer on the planet, and if you've never had one, you're in for a treat. There's no greater pleasure for me than when I go to the local English Pub with a friend and introduce them to Duvel.

p.s. A word of advice: pour with the utmost care and only ever in a proper Duvel tulip glass, otherwise you'll literally be overwhelmed by the head.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

first time my duvel glass has contained duvel!

superfoamy. lots of suds and they are well reinforced from below, so there's nowhere to go. good lacing on the glass wall. the beer itself is quite light in color, and brilliantly clear. as a consequence the head is totally white

the aroma is clean and pilsy, with a definite but not overpowering yeasty effect. some hop character lends a slight lemon zest. caradamom

light in mouthfeel, and hot. very hot, actually. bitter and not at all sweet (that's not a criticism). pilsymalt-forward, hot and hoppy (interesting how these seem to unify into a single characteristic) finish and spicy/yeasty in between

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a snifter from a 330mL bottle best before Jan 2010. Canadian Duvel appears to be 8.1% abv. Appearance is a warm, orangeish yellow with lots of streaming bubbles under a large, soapy white head with lots of lace. Superb look!

Smell is candied fruit, apples, low amount of yeast (refreshing as a big Unibroue drinker!).

Mouthfeel is perfect. Smooth, with good carbonation. Taste was a bit light at first so I let it warm for the while. Sweet taste hits the tongue first, followed by lots of dryness, citrus finish with noticeable spice. Clean and crisp. Not as complex but just as tasty as others in the style. Low alcohol in the finish. Abv is very manageable and tasty.

Just a fantastic example of the style as many have noted. Always a classic.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours perfectly clear blond with a soapy white head the laces along the sides of the glass. Smell sweet, candied, lightly fruity and a very little spice. Starts out sweet as it transitions to a little bitter followed by a malty and fruity hop finish. Magic in the mouth with a soft tickle of carbonation and smoooth taste. Insane drinkable, this cannot be alcoholic. A delight to drink.

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

my 100th review i saved for this gem ; pours a clear light golden color w/ a huge fluffy white head which lasts forever, lots of lacing that covers the entire wall of my snifter ; a very clean smell, low yeasty by-product aroma, mostly spicy hops and a pilsen-like malt smell, faint alcoholic undertone as well ; wow, an incredible, crisp malt flavor perfectly balanced w/ the hops, a faint fruity flavor underneath, kinda like a pilsner on steroids w/ a lower hop rate, hides the alcohol well ; a nice light-med body actually, slightly dry w/ a creamy texture, very interesting ; much better than most other belgians i've tried, i can see why this is one of the most sought after beers it's an extremely well drinking brew, i wish i had this on-tap in my house...

4.43/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a single of this at the local liquor store at the same time that I grabbed a Trappist Rochefort 8. Been saving them for a while.

This thing poured wonderfully. Beautiful pale golden with the most amazing head that I have ever seen on a beer. It looked like meringue, it was so thick. Nice carbonation as well.

Nice pungent smell of yeast and hops. I knew this was going to be a good beer.

Nice clean taste of hops and yeast, just what I expected from the beer. This beer actually followed up a Trappist Rochefort 8 and in my opinion, blew it out of the water. There was absolutely no comparison. Wonderful beer that I will definitely be having again.

The high ABV didn't really bother me either. It just added to the experience. Great beer.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Great clarity, golden yellow with a booming, foamy white head and tons of sticky lacing.

Clean, sweet scent with mild yeast notes and some grain.

Medium to full bodied with a fresh, crisp grain bill and subdued hops. Moderate carbonation, refreshing, and slightly cloying. Fruity ester, hint of sour and earthy yeast. Long, strong finish that is delicate and sweet.

Strong and tasty, a real treat.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured this into an official Duvel chalice.

Light gold color with an amazing head that looked very similar to a bubble bath. Of course lacing was all over the place. The smell was light. Very fruity, with apples most notable. There were also notes of corn. The taste was very citrusy - grapefruit was pretty prominent. The mouthfeel was amazing! A blast of carbonation that left me invigorated, which is a first for me to say about a beer. An all-around amazing beer, and very warming to boot. The day after I had one of these, I went to the store and bought a four-pack with a chalice included. One of my favorites.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

poured from bottle into a tulip glass. Even with a gentle pour it still produced a massive thick head with great retention. There was nearly 2 fingers upon finishing the glass. Lots of tiny bubbles and a very pale color - like champagne.

nice smell, slightly sweet, yeasty, fruity.

very dry. with hints of citrus and pepper. slightly bitter acidic after taste.

very easy to drink. I keep pouring more just to look at it - one the best looking beers around - and great taste to match.

nice contrast with the mouthfeel - thick creamy head against nice light champagne-like body.

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours a crystal clear bright golden color. Huge white head that last as long as the Beatles. Nice chunky white lace. This beer is eye candy.
Smells a bit buttery and yeasty.
This beer is a bit buttery and acidic for my taste. The flavors are more intense than I was expecting. Lot's of lemon zest and pepper.
Mouthfeel is perfect and keeps me drinking a beer that I really do not like. Very active carbonation and light bodied for a beer this size.
Belgians are hit or miss with me and this one is a miss. I think I was kind of expecting a Belgian session beer and this is not that. I still think it deserves all of the accolades that it's received.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a light straw gold with a massive head in the tulip glass. Almost looked like water coming out of the bottle. Lots of soapy foam and nice lacing.
Smell is fruity and floral yeasty hops.
Taste is very complex fruits, apricot, slight banana, apple and spice. Some floral character as well.
Feels just too carbonated for my taste. This hurts the drinkability for me as it's too filling due to the carbonation.
Well crafted and complex, deserves to be in the top 100.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Enjoyed at Bricco in Akron.

A: What an amazing head on this beer. Cottony and big. It tickled my upper lip during the drink and lingered though the entire glass. Beautiful lace. The color was a very light gold.

S: Apple skins, pectin, raisins. Warm yeasty Italian bread. Strong aroma without being pungent.

T: There is that apple again. The nose will give you every hint of what this beer will taste like. Think of everything an IPA should be with a kick of fruity sweetness.

M: Champaign bubbly and light/medium body. Very crisp and would be perfect for a summer's day.

D: A real joy to drink. Up there with La Fin Du Monde and slowly making Belgian Strong Pale Ale's the drinks for me. I almost considered a 5.0 for this one.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent beer, I first enjoyed Duvel when on vacation by the beach, and a friend and I traded beers and samples throughout the week. Duvel pours nicely, providing a nice, rich white head atop a light golden body. The flavor was clean and crisp, and its dense carbonation reminded me of champagne. Though its taste was decidedly pale ale, it was somewhat sweeter than most pale ales I've encountered. It finished very nicely, with a very slight hoppy aftertaste that I enjoyed. I was very impressed with it overall. It wasn't a beer of which I would have several in a row, but it was a brew I can easily enjoy by itself or with another immediately afterward. Well worth trying and should not disappoint. Great for enjoying after dinner on a warm day.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Currently drinking this in my Duvel tulip glass, purchased this beer from the Bevmo in Redlands for about three dollars a few days ago

Poured into glass like the directions on the back of the bottle said and I ended up with a head that was over three inches, white and soapy, and left large amounts of lacing on the entire glass, stuck around almost the entire time, color was golden yellow with a shiny tint

Smell was nice and full of sugar, lots of fruit, apples, raisins, a small amount of citrus, sweet Belgian yeast, and finally caramel

Taste was a nice balance between hops and malt, sweet but bitter at the same time, crisp start mellows into a nice sugary and smooth finish, the mild dryness is what separates this from a lot of other Belgian pales, it has a nice bite to it at the end that you keeps you coming back for more

Could drink a lot of this one, very light and easy to drink, but the eight and a half percent would get me eventually, nice Belgian and it is definitely one of the classics, now I can say I have it and can recommend to friends

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

lately i have been boning up on my belgian classics. the bottle is about 2 years from its best before date.

a: gorgeous and copious fluffy head sits atop beautifully cloudy golden body; great retention; lace everewhere

s: smells sweet and spicy w/ nice estir yeast presence; very fruity and very aromatic

t: first nice and fruity with pears and apple follwed by a dryness that was not present during the smel in a great way; good bitterness

m: nice and creamy; good carbonation; nice and crisp

d: a very well balanced belgian beer with perfect interplay between bitter and sweet; great spice presence; a delicious brew that i could drink all day

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance:
The beer pours clear with an ample white head. The retention is completely ridiculous and the lacing is superb as well.

Smell:
The nose is a little soapy and earthy with a touch of light malt sweetness. There's a little tinge of funk to the scent as well.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The beer drinks crisp and dry and comes across rather light for a beer of its size. There's hints of nutmeg throughout and there's a mild sweetness from the malts. A good amount of earthy character also makes the bulk of the beer. The yeast lends a decent tart edge.

Drinkability:
As far as Belgian beers and drinkability go it's pretty hard to argue against a Duvel. Tasty and light although it is relatively strong.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance- Beer pours a hazy opaque yellow color with a massive head. The head is easily the most noticeable part of this beer, its an off white color with traces of brown and it just wont go down.

Smell- Very fruity in the nose, hints of banana, nutmeg, and very subtle hopping, despite the high abv. its not noticeable in the nose.

Taste- For such a heavy abv. its surprisingly light, initial taste is fairly sweet which quickly transforms to a juicy middle with big flavors of perfectly ripe fruit, mango in nature. At the end the alcohol takes over and finishes out. Overall a delicious, well balanced brew.

Mouthfeel- A big creamy beer flavor that really fills the entire palate.

Drinkability- A big beer with big, hard to describe flavors. I really liked it but it truly is huge and not one to have multiples of.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Devil pours into the wide mouth goblet with an immense head that is soft and billowy. It is a lovely golden color to light yellow hue with a drink by date on the bottle. The aroma is yeasty and clean. The taste is smooth yet it feels as though each drink cleanses the palate for the next one to arrive. It is a tad spicy with a sweet finish. In the mouth it is light and hangs on with a mild carbonation. I would buy a 4 pack of this one even though the price can be challenging but you get what you pay for. Drink It.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Hazy, pale yellow. Dense white head with flowing carbonation.

Smell: Citrus peel, yeast.

Taste: Hints of citrus. Alcohol starts the initial bite that builds to a finish that is sparked by hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Firm texture. Head has excellent staying power.

Drinkability: Very satisfying. The drinkability can make this beer a troublemaker. A classic.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV