Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

750 ml corked bottle. Best before 9/08
Pours an straw-golden yelllow with an unbelievably immense head. The brew is moderately cloudy in appearance due to the bottle fermentation, but through the yeast I can see millions of little bubbles struggle their way to join their brethren at the surface. Maybe the most beautiful head I have ever seen on any beer.

Initial spicy saaz hop aroma... very pils-esque (not a positive feature in my mind, but that is just my personal preference of course). This is followed by a huge yeasty backbone. Lots of citrusy lemon zest. Malt is easily identifiable in this brew as well, although it takes back seat to the other aromas.

Perhaps it is the intense carbonation in this brew, but I have a hard time discerning any strong independant flavours. Lots of yeast, but other than that, somewhat boring. Perhaps a bit of doughy breadiness. Kinda disappointed here. It's not bad by any means.... I just don't see what is so spectacular about it.

This brew is way too highly carbonated in my opinion. Carbonation destroys the flavour in this case, and makes the mouthfeel too tight and dry. While the overall thickness of the beer is about right, the total mouthfeel is only average.

I have mixed feelings regarding the drinkability. For one, the 8.5% abv is nowhere to be found in this light crisp beverage. On the other hand, the carbonation is so extreme that it kinda ruins this brew for me. So I will leave it at this... while I think this brew is different, and I respect that, it is not for me. I doubt I'll be dropping $8 for a 750ml again any time soon.

nickss, Apr 12, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

WOW! I poured this into a Duvel glass. It pours a gold color with an amazing, almost overwhelming head with high carbonation. It smelled floral with a tinge of alcohol. The taste was like biting into a lightly sugared, spiked green apple. It was very refreshing and unique. I ordered another and let others taste it and everyone was simply amazed at the unique flavor. This is a beer unto itself. The taste of alcohol does become apparent, otherwise it would be endlessly drinkable.

jwc215, Apr 12, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel goblet.

Visually...just amazing! Even though I poured it slowly, the head just kept growing! Very white, very fluffy. Like shaving cream on top of the beer [and it lasted until it the beer was finished]. Tons of carbonation can be seen. Pale yellow.

Aroma comes flying at you...many different things...lots of citrus [lemons, orange]. Spicy. Very nice.

The taste is wonderful. Light, creamy. Again, alot going on here: pears, spiciness, pineapple, citrus, etc. Light hops. Quite complex.

The mouthfeel is nicely balance and cleansing. Overall, a very refreshing, crisp and wonderful pale ale. Very impressive. Amazingly, I didn't taste the 8.5% ABV, but I defnitely feel it. While I would like to, I certainly couldn't drink too many of these in a night. It did go well with my stuff salmon.

atigerlife, Apr 10, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Ahhh...Duvel. A fan favew of mine. Pours hazy yellow with a head that lives forever, smells a bit sweet and yeasty. Taste is a very powerful yeasty, hoppy flavors with a bit of alcohol kick. Mouthfeel is really nice and finishes up slightly bitter. A nice sipping beer after dinner.

Manosbeeroffate, Apr 08, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +8%

Fluffy rocky head. Thick lacing. Golden pale color. Beautiful brew.

Sweet apple smell, slight pale malt with Belgian yeast and alcohol smells.

Smooth crisp taste. Belgian yeast taste with alcohol warming and nice carbonation tingle.

This is a great beer. I hope I come across this again often.

timtheenchanta, Apr 03, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into my brand-new authentic Duvel goblet. Light golden color with a MASSIVE foamy head (fills half the goblet) that stays around forever & clings to the sides of the glass. Tons of bubbles rise to the top, especially a pillar of carbonation in the middle where the stem meets the bottom of the glass. Aroma is very sweet with hints of fruit. Taste is surprisingly dry considering the aroma. There is some initial sweetness followed by a dry, white wine type of bitterness. There is a sharp, spicy bite of yeast, hops, and alcohol in the swallow, but nothing overwhelming. Medium mouthfeel that tingles on the tongue from all the carbonation. All in all, pretty good stuff!! Not quite on the level of say, Delerium Tremens, but not a bad 2nd choice, either. Well worth the price.

CJfromPhilly, Apr 01, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV Duvel, 11.2 oz stubby:

There ain’t much more inviting than a Duvel Tulip full of Duvel. Classic, shimmering crystal clear gold under a three finger head that is Duvel. This seems to me to be the standard of the BSPA category…appetizing, subtly sweet, yeasty, crisp, silky, and refreshing. A pepper-like quality sneaks in, along with some citrus…and the 8.5% ABV is nowhere to be seen. Dangerously drinkable, yet so very simple that I sometimes forget what a great beer this really is; I’m glad I took the time to remind myself.

Cheers…

markman, Apr 01, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a clear straw, then clouded by the yeast pour. Forms a dense head that fills the glass, then settles to hills of foam that retain very well and leave a thin sticky film on the glass. Abundance of tiny carbonation bubbles racing to the top. Heavy belgian phenolic aroma like bananas and lemons, with a mild medicinal note. Noble hops and a pale malt background round out the nose. Whiff of ester as it warms. First sip is sweet pale malt, with zesty citrus and light fruity phenols gently washing over the palate. Mild yeast bite in the aftertaste, with a snap of well-attentuated alcohol that is subdued by a faint hop bitterness for a nearly perfect balance of flavor. The carbonation is high, but not overdone; the light/medium body and results in a lively yet extra smooth mouthfeel. The phenols linger in the finish but fade and the drinkability remains high considering the ABV. Nearly perfect execution of style, very sexy.

PBRstreetgang, Apr 01, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Belgian Strong Pale Ales are not one of my favorite styles, but Ido like the Duvel. Appearance is wuite nice: fluffy head and a great golden color. Aroma is heavy on the yeast and quite earthy. Very refreshing, but very carbonated. Too carbonated for my liking. However, this beer is a great example of the style.

doubleipa, Mar 31, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -12%

A healthy golden with beautiful white fluffy foamy head. Champagne-like bubbles continuesly rising. Lacing all over the glass. The body looks almost exactly like Delirium Tremens.

Yeasty earthy nose.

Duvel has a bready taste. The yeast is very present. I suppose it is as yeasty and earthy tasting as it smells. Kind of more relaxed and mellower than Delirium.

Very easy going down, and deceptive (concerning the alcohol content). I liked it, but there are other pale Belgian strong ales I would choose first.

chOAKbarrell, Mar 30, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a corked 750 ml bottle, Duvel has a brilliant gold color with a huge pillowy head that wouldn't go away. Every time I scooped some of the head out, it just kept coming back. Aroma was sweet and winey, almost champagne-like. The beer was quite sweet but had a dry finish with a slight herbal hoppiness. Duvel was smooth on the palate and had excellent balance between the sweetness and dryness. This beer is incredibly drinkable for the strength. In my opinion, this is the "Champagne of Beers". Excellent!

rodrot, Mar 25, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

Best before 10/08, poured from a 33cl bottle
Poured into my Bornem chalice ever so carefully. Appearance is gorgeous: thick lucious head, bubbly as hell, excellent retention, never seen anything like this. Crystal clear (this is bottle cond.??)
Aromas are estery, alcoholic, dried fruits are detected. Akin to any tripel or belgian pale I've smelled. Incredible carbonation tickles the tongue. Sweetness about with a little sour bite. This brew is struggling to hide the alcohol as it is ever so apparent. As a result, the drinkability suffers; I will definitely enjoy this bottle, but I don't think I could have anymore. Hops are nowhere to be seen. This is simply a mouthful of overcarbonated alcohol. Though I suppose that's what the devil would be if he was a beer.

dreadnatty08, Mar 24, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Appearance - Welcoming warm golden, very white headed, full of gas. Looks most appealing in its wide mouthed tulip glass (which also helps pouring) Slow pour means dead slow. If anything is off balance in this beer it is that it's on the over gassed side.

Smell - Sweet and yeasty, the thing I like least about this beer.

Taste - The gas hides the strength to a degree, it does not take much in the mouth to get good flavour. The beer is sweet but not fruity, slightly but not excessively yeasty, the aftertaste lingers beautifully, a wee bottle can be made to go a long way.

Mouthfeel - The beer bubbles in the mouth, once you get used to its high fizz its so easy to get comfortable with.

Drinkability - One to be slow sipped any other drink that night would taste inferior! The 8.5% alcohol tastes good, too often strong beers taste too strong.

I like it served a lot colder than is recommended, the cold takes a shade of the gas out. The small 11.2oz bottles are more fizzy than the large. The gas balance is better at 34F in the small bottles than the larger ones.

StevenGu3, Mar 22, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Frothy white head. Golden straw colored with a million tiny bubbles racing to the top.

S - Spicy, sweet, yeastie and a little fruity. I really have a hard time describing the smell of Belgians.

T - First sip is has a spicy sweetness up front. I'd try and pick out the fruit tastes but I just can't so I'll leave it at that. In the middle there's a nice sweet maltiness and some hop bitterness to round things out nicely. I've had other Belgians that were just over the top in that yeastie profile - this one isn't. Everything seems to be balanced.

M - It's like a champagne. That's the best I can describe it. Refreshing with a somewhat tart and crisp finish. Not overly dry - just right on the mouthfeel. I actually think it's probably one of the better 'light' beers I've tried in respect to mouthfeel.

D - Each Belgian I try gets better and better with this one being the best. It could be I've grown accustomed to the taste or I just keep picking better beers. I'd like to think with this one, the latter holds true. Careful with this one - it doesn't have the heavy feeling of a 8.5% ABV beer. You could easily get hammered on this one without even knowing it. I'd definitely buy this again.

Rezzin, Mar 22, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

Best before 12/2005, cellared for a few years as an experiment.

Appearance - starts to foam up at the uncap, almost coming out of the bottle but not quite. Pours a straw color, lightly hazed, and lots of white foam. Leaves rings of lace as it recedes, it definitely hasn't gone flat in storage.

Aroma - lightly crackery, sweet, and little else. Very faint odor, there's very little here at all.

Taste - mellowed sweetness, almost like an imperial pilsner flavor, but the Belgian candi sugar keeps it in the ballpark style-wise. As it warms, more of the Belgian sweetness comes through. Nothing fancy on the finish, perhaps a glimmer of hops. Some warm breathy alcohol, pretty decent on the whole.

Mouthfeel - vapor from the alcohol fills the mouth, very well-carbonated as you might expect. Well done.

Drinkability - good beer, not really worth cellaring though. It keeps great, but it doesn't turn into anything special. Still, right tasty and a highly sessionable brew for 8.5 abv.

brewdlyhooked13, Mar 22, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

I am drinking a 750 mL C&C bottle poured into a Chimay goblet. The ale is slightly chilled, as I only put it in the fridge 30 minutes ago.

Appearance: The ale pours a crystal clear, brilliant yellow color. There is no sign of any sediment in the ale. The ale pours with an intense deep head that keeps going and going and going... The result of this head is an incredible ring of lace around the glass.

Smell: The ale has a slightly sweet candied aroma to it. There are also peppercorns in the nose.

Taste: The ale has a light sweet candied sugar taste to it. Beyond the sugars, I pick up some spices that remind me of a good tripel: peppercorn being the taste on the forefront.

Mouthfeel: The ale's hyper-carbonation provides a welcome cleansing taste with every sip.

Drinkability: This ale is a winner. The candied flavors work well in warm or cold weather and the sweetness of the ale really hits the spot.

akorsak, Mar 20, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass ( should probably get a tulip shaped glass to truly appreciate the complexity's of this beer ).

This is my first Duvel and have never had a beer quite like it.

Even though I gently poured it into my tilted glass the foam head quickly filled my pilsner glass 2/3 full of effervescent fluffy white foam, which was very slow to dissipate.

Duvel is medium to light golden color with lots of tiny bubbles that don't quit.

Smell is of hay,yeast, and fruit.

Taste is of hay, yeast, slight fruitiness, pepper and malt with a touch of bitter. I can taste the alcohol ( not to mention feel it ) but not so much that it is unpleasant.

Duvel kind of reminds me of drinking champagne with all the bubbles and the higher alcohol content but is most definitely beer with a unique taste that is hard to pin down. I think I will have to keep sampling these from time to time to get a better feel for them.

I bought a 4 pack of these at Corral liquor in Granite City IL for 7.99

This is my first post on a beer forum, and I'm not hip to all the Lingo, but I do enjoy Beer and trying new things and have been using this site to pick new beers to try, so hopefully I will eventually get better at my evaluations. Cheers Bigdaddy

bigdaddyv10, Mar 20, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

11.2 fl oz bottle with a best before date of 6/08. Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a beautiful fluffy white head, great longevity and equally great lace. Nice yeasty aromas, slightly orange citrus. Slight wheat malt and yeast flavors with fair amont of hop presence. Alcohol is well hidden. Slightly citric and peppery. A beautiful example of the style. A true classic and one for ll the others to be judged by.

sabrills70, Mar 18, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Finally time to review one of my absolute favorite beers. Poured ever so slowly from a 11.2 ounce bottle into my Duvel tulip (is there really another way?). This is hands down the most beautiful looking beer I have ever seen. Straw colored with the most breathtaking stormcloud of white towering foam. If poured correctly you should have roughly half beer and half head in your glass. The head retention is pretty amazing and the lacing extensive. Really a site to behold. The smell is hay, pepper, and lemon zest. Taste is light, crisp at first. Taste of rich spices like coriander and pepper, a little lemon, and some nice buttery malts. Aftertaste is that wonderful spice flavor followed by a nice glowing warming sensation in your belly and body. This must be what it feels like to give your spirit a bath. Alcohol feeling is present and strong, but not so abundant in the taste. Still a quaffer and a sipper...take her real easy. Drinkability suffers slightly because of the high alcohol. Overall, one of my top ten favorite beers and one that never dissapoints.

Bleedingshrimp, Mar 17, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

The bottle and accompanying tulip-shaped glass it is served with is a show-stopper immediately in any bar. People will look at you and know you are well-versed in beers... but that is the least of concern, to you the drinker.
The beer must be poured slowly, as the head gives rise quickly and without hesitation... patience is rewarded. The smell is light, but not mysterious. One can definitely detect a slight hint of weight, and also several fruits. An apple maybe, but definitely a little lemon rind. Very carbonated, and light in the mouth; combined with the taste it is fun to drink, but be careful. At 8.5%, the fun can get ahold of you quick...
An exquisite beer to say the least.

dieselboy914, Mar 15, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

I have no idea why I havent reviewed this yet. Pale yellow color, with a hue white head (if poured into the right glassware). The smeel is grassy and yeasty. Malts are not a huge factore, but the yeasty esters (nearly hefe-like... spicy) and grassy hop flavors are quite complex. Mouthfeel has decent carbonation. Overall, this is a nice beer to unwind with.

zjungleist, Mar 15, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Duvel comes by its legendary status deservedly — a first-class example of its genre from start to finish.

It poured from the bottle into my snifter with a large, three-finger head that sat perched over a golden, straw-coloured beer with some cloudiness. The head had considerable retention, and remained till the end, leaving a sticky lace on the glass.

The smell was yeasty with fruity esters and a hint of malt — very inviting, though maybe not as complex as my favourite Belgian pale ale, Fin du Monde.

This is a pleasant, well-balanced experience despite its classification as a "big" Belgian beer. It hides its 8.1% ABV (that's what the bottle said — I know it differs from the info up top) well and goes down smooth. I personally favour a bit more carbonation than Duvel offers and marked its drinkability down only slightly because of what I perceive as a bit of a dry, astringent aftertaste.

vanrassel, Mar 14, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Any review of Duvel would be incomplete without first singing the praises of the head on this beer. The head on a glass of Duvel is massive, tremendous, and a joy to behold. It sits commandingly atop the clear golden beer and takes up nearly 2/3rds of the glass. The lacing is the best I’ve seen. It just may bring tears to your eyes. In all seriousness however, the thick, meringue-like head on this beer is just the icing on a very tasty cake.

The smell overflows from the glass. I was initial concerned by a mild skunk tang, but that is soon left behind by a wonderfully sweet floral smell, along with the Belgian yeast that's typical of these kinds of beers. The smell gets sweeter as the beer warms, eventually leaving a nectar scent in the glass.

The taste is light malts with a mild bitterness, with hops, yeast, and mild alcohol present. There's a lesser wonderful spicy clove taste and a fine tartness to round it off. Finishes dry, warming, and crisp. The 8.5%abv is cunningly hidden, and the sheer drinkability of this beer means if you have a steady supply at hand you could be in trouble.

Drinking a Duvel is delightful. I strongly recommend you seek one out.
It's just a fantastic beer and one that I can't wait to try again.

kkipple, Mar 07, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Kinda a rauchbier aroma, but less pronounced, though still unexpected. Some maltiness. Pale golden in color. The head rioted in my glass. After calling in the authorities it settled down somewhat, but continued to stand around leering at me. Malt profile with some tickling alcohol and pear notes. Mild spice, but much less than many Belgian Strong Ales. Much ado about nothing it seems.

Jredner, Mar 06, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -32.4%

appearance - i do as the bottle instructs(how i pour all my beers anyway), slowly pour about one ounce and have to stop because my glass almost foams over. takes about 3 minutes for the foam to go down so i can pour another once. color is almost water like with a small tint of yellow. so far it looks and pours just like a coors light. its very ironic how it recieved so many high marks for appearance while the same people would probably slam identical appearing beers such as coors light.

smell - like mainstream american crap beer, but with a slightly more sweet presence that lets you know it will probably taste better.

taste - it didnt taste much better. its like a slightly improved coors light, with a sweeter, fruity taste that becomes sour as soon as you swallow. not much depth or complexity at all. not much else to say, very disappointing.

mouthfeel - extreme carbonation makes for a thin, sour, unpleasant mouthfeel.

drinkability - i was all exited to try this one but i failed to finish my 11.2 oz bottle. for reasons listed above. tastes like something id drink out of a keg at a party.

Optimat0r, Mar 02, 2006