Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle. Looks fantastic, pale yellow (almost like champagne) with a reasonable creamy head that retains well and plenty of lacing. Aroma is subtle - sweet, spicy with hints of honey. Taste is very well balanced starting sweet and finishing slightly bitter. Alcohol is well hidden and hardly noticable. Could drink a lot more of these if only I could afford to the ridiculous prices you need to pay over here.

hefevice, Mar 29, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Golden straw yellow. The very generous foam head lasts forever. High carbonation (bubbles).

Smell: A mix of cereal and stereotypical beer smell. An excellent reference smell.

Taste: Very sweet and sour. I don't believe is so high in alcohol. (Ok, it got some alcohol in the back, but it is not that bad.)

Mouthfeel: A very good typical mouthfeel for a beer. Not much to complaint here. :)

Drinkability: Here's a good way to get loaded fast with quality beer.

Barraclou, Mar 27, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured out of a 750 into an oversize wine class. Best before 10-10-05. served at 55. Once the cork budged, i watched it rise on it's own the other 9/10 of the way out of the bottle, until it went *BANG* and shot up, hit my ceiling, and rebounded with enough force to hit me kind of hard. Awesome!

Appearance is a nice light yellow, lots of bubbles. a Giant foamy head that makes noises. i poured a littel vigourously to get this head and it sort of leaked out of my glass. no worries.

aroma. not much here. a little bit of yeast, some alcohol, just a smidgeon though. couldn't realy detect much here.

taste is really interesting, in a hard-to-define kind of way. it's tart and bitter at first. tastes like lettuce that has started to bolt just a little bit. this settles down into something of a sweetness, but, not quite. other than faint green apple, and of course bitterness, i can't really pick out anything else, or even detect that there are any other flavours present. Oh yeah, alcohol is pretty present, as well.

mouthfeel is spritzy, lots of carbonation, pretty nice. feels like the beer is whole in your mouth, as in, beer with a good sized head. id' imagine this is probably the case. drinkability is good, though, it's going to take some time to polish off 750 ml.

Good beer, I'd say. Nothing to go nuts over, though.

trancefishy, Mar 26, 2005
4.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 330ml into a tulip.

Mellow gold with a white head that is tall and rocky. As it recedes, a formation resembling Uluru/Ayer's Rock grows in the center of the foam. Where's my didgeridoo?

Tastes dry overall, with some green apple notes coming through before a dry finish that's almost tart.

I found the mouthfeel to be a bit off. Lighter than expected with a bit too much carbonation. I could see where others would like this as it is like champagne in its own way.

Despite the high abv, this is a damn drinkable beer that goes well with a lot of different foods.

ypsifly, Mar 23, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Tasted from the little stubby 330ml bottle.
Poured into a Duvel tulip glass, none too aggressively, yet still a bright white effusive head nearly foams over the top before I have half the bottle in there. Amazing. It really is a thing of beauty. The beer has a pale lemony straw cast to it, and a little tornado of carbonation swirling in the center. The head lasts forever, yielding a rocky, clumpy lace.
The smell of pine and pears at first. Hint of grapefruit and granny smith apples. A whiff of alcohol.
The first taste is apples and oranges, herbal bitterness, and subtle malt in the center. The citric fruit and gentle bitter hops are hand in hand throughout. It has a bitter but fruity finish. I'm not sure how that happens, but that's the only way I can describe it. An unexpected and perfect flavor combination. Fabulous.
A soft, silky mouthfeel and everpresent fizz make for an absurdly drinkable brew, despite the 8.5%.

horndecker, Mar 21, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Came in a 33cl short stubby brown bottle with freshness date 09/2007. At first it looks harmless but its alcohol content (8.5%) makes you have to respect it aswell as watch how much you consume of it. Quite an exceptional beer overall and very easy to drink I found. Very well rounded beautiful golden colored body and its rich complexity makes this a top notch beer that I would recommend to all!

GreatLeo, Mar 18, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a chalice.
I liked this beer but from the rating and the reviews I was expecting a bit more impact from the experience. If it wasn't for all the hype there wouldn't have been much that was memorable about this beer aside from the price. I suppose this beer just isn't my style. I wasn't wowed by Rare Vos either which is very similar to this but findable for about half the price.
Extremely drinkable at 8.5%... vitually undetectable. Very mild in taste. An attractive pale ale. Dry, but not as crisp as I'd like.
Easy to drink and accessable but not "World Class" in my mind. Either I have more to learn or others are too easily impressed.

ommegangpbr, Mar 15, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

I bought this Duvel 750 for $8 bucks. It poured an awesome straw gold with a very impressive 4 finger head off pure white fluff. Lots of carbonating bubbles, much clear than an Abbey style ale.

Smell: That pillowy white head does a good job at trapping the estery aroma, which consists mostly of pear notes, some spices are detectable too.

Taste: Damn, this is a great beer! A wonderful spiced belgian ale, pears are the fruit notes in this one. This is the 'Belgian Strong Golden'. The carbonation in this brew helps enhance the dry finish.

Mouthfeel: on the light to medium body level, it is very bubbly, a good palette scrubber.

Drinkability: This is one you could drink all night, but at 8.5% you'd best be careful of the beer goggles that the Devil will subvert your vision with, you'll probably wake up next to another type of 'devil'!

HogHill, Mar 13, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

The beer poured into the glass a brilliant clear gold with a thick, dense white head, Te head retained well, and when it did recede it left a chunky lace on the side of the glass. A stream of champagne bubbles rise from the bottom, a testament to the carbonation of the bottle conditioned beer. I detect characters form the yeast in the nose. A doughy hint followed by apples, pears. There is a hint of citrus and just a touch of spice (pepper). The flavor has more of the spiciness up front followed quickly by more of the apple/pear character and topped by grapefruit and orange. Bright slightly slick mouth feel and surprisingly drinkable despite the high alcohol content.

carln26, Mar 13, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Presentation: 11.2 oz short bottle. ABV and some beer facts on the label. Pouring instructions and best by date on the back (01 2007).

Appearance: Wow - I poured this into a Duvel tulip that I got with the four pack. Beautiful frothy white head that fills the glass. Head is slightly chunky and stays. Slightly bubbly with a slight cloudiness and a bright golden color. This goes far beyond lacing. Absolutely beautiful!

Smell: Fruity, yeasty, and just a hint of hops. The yeast profile is very noticable in the aroma.

Taste: Once again, wow .. hard to believe this is 8.5 % ABV. Taste is very complex, and surprisingly full-bodied given the color. Taste is both fruity and peppery, with a strong yeast flavor. Just enough hops to add a slight bitterness. There is far more going on than I can adequately describe.

Overall impressions: This is a thing of beauty in all aspects. Next time you see it pick up the four pack with the tulip glass - it makes for an amazing presentation. This beer is incredibly drinkable, yet complex at the same time. One of my favorite beers to date.

rowew, Mar 11, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

What can be said about a near perfect beer? Near Perfect for starters. I enjoyed this feast of brew while eating some Latin food. A great pairing.

Appearence: good, beautiful golden yellow. A bit cloudy though
Smell: nice and fruity with a bit of yest.
Taste: a wonderfully creamy belgian flavor. More to come on this.
Mouthfeel: normally I don't put much stock in this, but it had a nice creamy champagne feel.
Drinkability: all day. A bit potent, but very drinkable.

NiceGuyMike, Mar 11, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +15%

Ordered from a local english/american pub/resturant in Rolla, Mo. I asked to open and pour the beer. The going on 40ish gal behind the bar removed the cap and sat the unpoured bottle beside a Duvel glass and bluntly stated: "you can't take the bottle from the premises" and ignored me not offering a menu or any further service.

Looking for a special brew for the 100th review I was looking forward to a great experience, so much for the atmosphere. Pouring the beer a perfect head formed while the obnoxious person behind the bar complained about the music and swore. A great nose arose that could only have came from Belgium. I knew its taste would peak my appetite and when a male owner/cook came to the bar I thought I would be offered a menue. At least no one was smoking and I was going to appreciate the fine aroma. Looking around the bar I saw nothing to advertise the presence of this awsome tasting import only Budweiser, Millers, and Killians decorated my surroundings. A second waitress/owner sat at the bar and lit a cigarette. I warmed the Duval tulip glass with my hands trying to drive its temperature to a minumim of 40°F from the near 30° it was served at. Finally as the last few sip went down I obtained ideal temperature range. A constant fountain of beads eminating from the center of the stemed glass built a marshmallow sized island with a finger thick layer of foam around it. This head was so persistant that I considered asking for a doggie bottle to take it home. But feeling ignorned and unwanted I did not take a chance on the employees/owners having a sense of humor. Great beer.. wrong place to drink.

At last finishing an unending banter with another employee the waitress/barmaid returned taking the bottle and glass and asked for "five dollars" without a please or thankyou.

karst, Mar 09, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

I love Duvel. It has a crisp, balanced character I don't find too often in Belgian beers. Its appearance is unparalleled.. the first time i properly poured one i was astounded (and still am every time!) This is an utterly sophisticated drink that could appeal even to those who don't drink beer. Highly reccomended: I'll leave detailed descriptions to those who are better at that sort of thing.

Also: I use my Duvel tulip religiously for a variety of beers. I got this 750ml on sale for $5.99 and it was a joy to employ the tulip for its intended brew!

MarkBlackout, Mar 09, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass, because I don't have a tulip. Looks pale gold, and becomes cloudy when I pour the yeast. Huge, very strange head of very light foam (starting to see why the glass may be important) that leaves almost no lace. Smells of clove and bananas. Tastes of spicy clove, banana, and yeast. Be careful when drinking, because this is a pretty refreshing beer (especially on a warm summer's eve) where the ABV is barely noticible-this isn't called the Devil for nothing.

Despite the lack of a proper glass, I found this to be quite a good beer, although one that may take a bit of getting used to. I may re-review this one when I have that tulip.
---
3-6-2005:

Still don't have that tulip, but I decided to re-review this one. I'm glad I did. My palate has apparently grown up since I first reviewed Duvel, and I now consider it to be one of the best beers in the world. I still wish I had a tulip, but I don't think it matters, and it certainly didn't affect the taste of the beer, nor the drinkability. The aftertaste is a bit too dry for my liking, and the smell is a touch weak, but other than that, this is one good brew.

skybluewater, Mar 07, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

When I poured this I thought I did a terrible job, and maybe I did, but the picture on the bottle shows a lot of head there as well, so I guess that's normal. As for the beer itself, it was about as smooth as anything 8% that I've had. Tastes a lot like Maredsous, another one I liked. The beer just kind of floated its way down into my stomach. I finished it without even noticing my progress, I think that says something about a beer. Oh yeah and I wasn't drunk either, so it must have been the Duvel.

vwahaszee, Mar 05, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Watch out when you pour this baby...there is even a warning on the bottle. The head explodes into something similar to what the picture shows above. Very foamy and long lasting. I like a small creamy head and this just was a little too much, so the next few I poured with great care and very little head was produced.

A very vibrant golden color reminicent of...believe it or not...Schlitz. The smell and flavor are far from the Schlitz though. Fruity with a small touch of spice. Reminds me of apple juice. The beer goes down very smooth. Some say you can't tell that there is an alcohol content above 8% but I can taste it. The taste isn't biting like the taste you find with high gravity malt liquors though...more of an acidic apple juice flavor without the acid bite if that makes much sense?

I was expecting great things with this beer, but I didn't quite receive them. It is just a very good easy drinking beer, but not outstanding. Very well ballanced I might add too. I enjoyed it, but for the price, I wouldn't buy it again. Watch the alcohol content, it will sneek up on you.

dren, Mar 02, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

I feel as comfortable sipping this beer by day as I do by night. The most beautiful foamy head I've ever seen, and it lasts forever in the Duvel glass, sitting atop a gold so intense it almost glows. Fragrant fruity spiciness, sweet yet crisp and clean.

droomyster, Mar 02, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Yeah! now here's a REAL Belgian! There are many imitators out there, but there's nothing like the real thing.
Light gold body looks much like champaign. Big airy white head. Smell is peppery spice with fruit notes, particularly apple. Tastes as you'd expect from the smell. Spicy, with many complex fruity notes. Light malt throughout. Mouthfeel is amazing. Looks so carbonated and harsh in the glass but man is it smooth! So unexpected. Not like champaign, this beer has tiny light smooth bubbles, and is not fizzy at all. It goes down so easy. Big time refreshment here. This 750 ml bottle is too damn small. 8.5 abv is hidden mad well so watch your back! Especially since this brew is so easy drinking.

Notes: make sure you consume out of the proper glass (oversized wine glass or tulip). It makes a shit load of a difference. Also, if you're in the beer store, try to pick up a bottle that has the best before date arriving within a year or so rather than one that has 3 years left. A fresher bottle just does not deliver the same great aroma and flavor of a slightly aged one. A year makes a huge difference with this brew IMO.

Notes II: holy bejesus! The devil is kickin my ass here!

palma, Feb 28, 2005
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

The appearance is cloudy, with an obviously thick head. This is not a beer you need to pour aggressively to get an acceptable head. The smell is great with a slight hint of hops. I'm not sure what it is about this beer that is different- be it the bohemian hops or the belgian yeast? Either way, the flavor is great. Excellent balance of hops and malt. Incredible fruit flavor. Very good beer. This is the classic example of a Belgian strong pale ale.

gotbeer, Feb 27, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Short stumpy 330 ml brown bottle, 8.1% alcohol, best before 05 / 2007.
Have to use a tulip glass to get the full effect of the pour. Slightly hazy pale yellow-gold color, with massive amount of carbonation, bubbles just kept coming, full chunky white head, nice lace trail. No strong smells, light citrus, some coriander, typical lager smells. Flavour is also quite light, more tangy citrus and some spice, touch of weiss yeast finish. Nice finish of balancing hops. Smooth finish, its not until the beer hits your stomach that you feel the warmth from the high alcohol content. Perfect for a cold day.

BigBry, Feb 26, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

Presentation: 750ml caged corked.

Appearance: light hazy straw color. Small bone white head with good retention. Effervescent, lots of bubbling in the glass.

Smell: Sweet malt, slight phenol, very light green apple, and a slight sourness

Taste: very effervescent, light phenols, lots of fruitiness, with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: light body, dry, a little astringent, and sour. I don't remember this beer being this tart, maybe it was a bad bottle.

dauss, Feb 16, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The Belgians have a wonderful reputation of brewing the most complex, sensory-stimulating beers in the world. The have mastered the art of blending the basic ingredients with only the finest adjuncts the world has ever seen.
Duvel is a prime example of this gift.
Long known as one of the best that Belgium has to offer, Duvel makes a point to demonstrate what a good beer should taste like every time you open the bottle.
Pouring a golden orange colour, it resembles a cross between a strong ale and a pilsner. Beautiful head perches atop the beer, thick and frothy.
The sences are overwhelmed with the aroma of sugars, grapefruit, apples, pepper, and other spices. Almost like walking into a bakery.
The taste is spicey with strong fruity flavors, a spicey kick and a sweet finish.
This is a beer you really want your sences at their peek for. A fantastic Belgian in every way.

CBFanWish, Feb 08, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Sunny yellow color and a fluffy head.
Smell: Hops, malt, and that unique Belgian freshness.
Taste: A little lighter than I expected but still very good. This may be the most balanced Belgian I've ever had.An excellent taste overall.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and well carbonated.
Drinkability: Not a bad session brew if you can tolerate the 8.5 ABV.

jvajda, Feb 06, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +15%

At first I thought this beer was all hype. I couldn't have been more wrong. Wow, what a great beer. I am beginning to love Belgian Strong Pale Ales. It pours a cloudy lemon yellow color and has a thick white head that leaves a ton of lace in my glass. It has a fruity, yeasty aroma and a very yeasty fruity flavor. Very well balanced and definitely world. If only it was a bit cheaper. I could go broke drinking this bier.

RushLimbmalt, Jan 31, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

I stumbled--luckily--onto a 4-pack (330 ml) with Duvel tulip at the local craft outlet (Mug & Chalice, Chesterfield, VA).

Pours as advertised. Cloudy yellow, large foamy suds-like head that stayed put. Column of bubbles erupted from the "etched-D" at the bottom of the glass until I consumed the whole thing. Tres cool.

This smelled very much like the Hennepin from the Moortgat-operated Ommegang. Yeasty, floral, citrus-rind.

The taste was immediately malty and hoppy: is that what bittersweet means? This alternates between tasting like a lager, an ale, a saison...I can't keep up.

The mouthfeel was not as full and creamy as I had hoped, given the size of the head on this drink. But it was consistent from start to finish. Perhaps the hops asserted themselves too early, but then the malt comes through. This beer gives you everything at once and it is up to your brain to figure it out.

Now, given the 8.5% abv, this should have some alcohol kick. I tasted none of it. I felt it around the 11th ounce. This beer is scarily easy to drink. I will not consume this if I have to drive because I don't think I could limit myself to one or two.

pentathlete, Jan 30, 2005