Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev -4%

I was a bit dissapointed by this one.

Pours a light yellow, exactly as a macro lager. Big white head and good lacing, though.

Aroma was faint, Belgian no doubt, reminded me a Gueuze. Sweet, hops in the end.

Taste is nice, good actually. Very balanced. No hint of alcohol. It's 8.5 ABV were very well hidden.

Mouthfeel was, well, refreshing. Way too refreshing for an ale with this level of alcohol.

Drinkability is dangerously high. A beer to be careful with.

¡Salud!

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

Best before 03 2009

HUGE fluffy white head full of soft champagne bubbles, the kind of head you can overflow out of the top of the glass and make a swirl on the top and it keeps its shape. Rich hazy golden color. One fine looking beer.

Rich nose with banana and nilla wafers. Hoppy profile with a rich sweet malt body and gentle but busy carbonation. Richness and hoppiness are well balanced. Alcohol is tastefully presented, and easy to palate. Slightly warming. Is this the predecessor to American Double Pilsners?

This is a beautiful beer and it's relatively easy to find, and I often overlook it. Dangerously drinkable. Cheers.

If only I could buy this beer often. Simply put, one of the best beers I've ever had, if not the one. Citrus aromas, with a complex sweet and citrus taste. Carbonation and alcohol mouthfeel, a very heavy beer (which is what one should expect when drinking a strong pale ale, right). I could drink this forever...

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

This was a gift from a friend. It was the squat 11.2 oz bottle.

Pours easily into my DeGroen's goblet. It's a nice light yellow color, slightly hazy, with a big fluffy white head of foam. There is lacing all the way down the glass. Carbonation appears medium.

Aroma is lemon citrusy/yeasty, very clean and inviting. A little bubble gum in the background adds to the complexity. Maybe a hint of alcohol and noble hops as it warms.

First sip is on the sweet side, but it's quickly overtaken by lemon citrus. Very refreshing and clean, with a yeasty bite. Hop bitterness is fairly low, and hop flavor very low. Very well balanced beer. There is a sweetness there, but it's still a crisp beer. Aftertaste is citrusy and yeasty, very pleasant.

Mouthfeel is medium, with a fairly active level of carbonation, which zings across my tongue. The beer is crisp and clean, but my lips are slightly sticky from sweetness. Cool! Warmth comes through at the very end.

This would be a great beer to introduce neophytes to Belgian beers. It's definitely Belgian, but not overwhelming in any way. Its very well made, well balanced and crisp, with enough ABV to please anyone. It also has a nice "yeastiness" which is typical to many Belgian beers. I really like this beer, and would drink one anytime.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

From the traditional squatty Duvel bottle into a snifter.

A - light golden color, mostly clear. Head is huge, rocky and puffy, bright white like talcum powder. Lacing and head retention are good.

S - lots of fruity esters and alcohol. Spice, black peppercorn. Lots of tropical fruit aromas like pineapple, cherries. Alcohol very noticeable. No hop aroma.

T - taste a lot like the smell. Bubblegum, fruit, spice, slight bitterness but this beer is on the sweeter side. Nice, clean Belgian/pilsner malt profile of dry grainyness. Light hop flavor of noble spice, Hallertau it seems. Yum, classic Belgian flavor.

M - thin bodied, carbonation average to slightly above. Lots of alcohol warming.

D - very tasty, a classic. Alcohol content and cost makes it a little prohibitive to drink a ton.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

330ml bottle into a brandy snifter.

The appaearance of this beer is extremely impressive. Pours a clear light gold, with lots of bubbles quicly rising to the top. With a smooth pour the head absolutely explodes in the snifter. It keeps rising even after you've stopped pouring! Impossible retention. Head is extremely airy and fluffy. Lacing is extremely thick and sticky, I haven't seen anything like it.

Sharp fruit aromas stand out, some alcohol in the background. Slightly spicy and sweet. Very clean.

Sharp bittersweet taste with pear and apple-like flavors. Some alcohol mixed with light phenolic flavors.

High carbonation and light-medium body. Crisp and dry finish, very refreshing. The 8%ABV is hidden nicely.

Duvel means Devil. Only gets smoother as it warms. This is an extremely delightful beer. Definitely top of the beer food chain. Try this one, and you won't be dissapointed. This one was reasonably fresh, as it still has two and a half years before its "best by" date (April 2009). Should be good fresh or aged.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: poured slightly opaque , lighter golden color , massive frothy white head that lasted the whole way through.

Smell: candied fruit , pear , yellow apple , slight yeast and tinge of alcohol.

Taste: very tasty and smooth , pear and yellow apple fruitiness , nicely balanced maltiness , slight bit of tart twang from the yeast , and a nice edge of hop bitterness to the finish.

Mouthfeel: smooth , very effervescent , with a chapagne like dryness to the finish.

Drinkability: An exellent belgian pale ale , very well balanced , flavorful , and elegant. With a nice alcohol kick to boot! Great beer!

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

I decided to give this one one another try. I didn't think too much of this brew before and I'm thinking I might have drank it too cold and in the wrong glass (Straight out of the fridge and in a Pilsener glass) This time I let it sit a while, and drinking out of an oversized wine glass.

I poured this one nice and slowly as I remember the crazy head this gave off last time I tried it, It poured a translucent yellow with a head that remains on top ever so slightly. The smell had some banana clove notes almost like a Hefe Weizen, but at the same time had the signature smells of a belgian ale (that nice fruity aroma that I can't quite describe, but almost all belgians except lambics have it).

At first taste, it tasted as i remember, but as it warmed slightly, the flavor became quite enjoyable. Sweet banana clove and a very delicate aroma of prunes made its way through the palate, coming to an exceptionally clean finish. For a 8.5% ABV this is remarkably smooth and quite easy to drink.

Much better than I remembered it to be. I'll be sure to keep a bunch of these in the fridge over the winter, it warms you up nicely.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Gently hazed champagne body with a soft, stiff, enormous, airy, white head with great retention.

Smell: Fresh apples; tart and musty yeast; spicy alcohol; light, sweet malts; and piquant, herbal hops. It smells nice but it doesn't have the depth that I expect from the style.

Taste: Brilliantly spicy from a chord of alcohol, hops, and yeast. Light and mellow at first, then piquant and zesty as you swallow and bittersweet in the finish. Fruity, vinous, bitter, earthy, and paradoxically bold yet light.

Mouthfeel: Airy, soft, chewable, and sticky. Slightly syrupy.

Drinkability: This is good stuff, completely enjoyable and respectable.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Once again desperate for a respite from the local swill, I purchased a couple bottles at a French supermarket in the Chinese city of Hangzhou. Belgian Pale Ales have since become one of my favorite styles.

Appearance – Pours a hazy yellowish-orange. The head is massive and frothy. I had to wait several minutes for head reduction and even then with substantial lacing.

Smell – Lemon scents, yeast, perhaps a bit of grass. Pleasant overall but not overtly noticeable.

Taste – An excellent ale. You are hit at once by strong hints of spice and citrus that reappear more subtly as you progress. Some hop bitterness is noticeable but I really couldn't taste the alcohol until I had nearly finished the second bottle.

Drinkability –Perhaps a bit too drinkable for an ABV of 8.5%. The alcohol is masked well, need to be careful.

Duvel is outstanding. Great flavor, smoothness, and balance. I place it in my top 5

[ serving type: bottle ]

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

How is it that I haven't reviewed this beer yet?

Pours a beautiful light gold. Super clear and massive head and vigorous carbonation bubbles make this beer quite beautiful.

Smell is bubblegum, pepper, marshmallows, cloves, and lemon rind. Very little hops detectable.

Taste begins on the sweet side with bubblegum flavors segueing into peppercorns and lemon rind.

Mouthfeel is like a fluffy cloud of beer in my mouth.

Very drinkable and food friendly.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours into the Duvel glass with a huge meringue-like head. Carbonation is awesome with the stream of bubbles from the center of the glass. So very smooth with just a touch of the alcohol content showing through. Smells great, so convenient to bury your nose in that glass and savour the aroma as you have another sip. A totally enjoyable experience.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

appearance: pours into a wine glass with massive carbination, yet the heads fades quickly enough, which works out ok. The beer is a very light yellow color, with some haze. The carbination continues throughout the glass.

smell: yeah i should probably get a Duvel glass, yet I'm not at home anyways. Still the smell is pretty mild by any standard. I do get hints of pears, and bit of that crisp bone dryness. Just kinda weak to merit a higher score.

taste: now that's a beer. The crisp dryness is the key here, with flavors of peaches and pears added by the yeast, but in a restrained amount. Tasting about as dry as a beer can get, I'm tasting the bitterness of the hops, and it seems almost like there is pepper in here.(I have no idea if there is or not)

mouthfeel: So light, so smooth, so great. Really typifies how a Belgian Strong Pale beer should be, deseptive. Hence Duvel.

drinkability: yeah, this one goes down good, really a fantatic drinker that sort of demands quick drinking. Yes you savor it, but it's pretty hard to go slow on it. This beer is worthy of the respect it gets. A must try, and a must re-buy.

1.58/5  rDev -62.8%

750 mL

A: Looks good, crystal clear with a HUGE head that sticks all over the glass. Lots of bubbles and a very very light yellow color.

S: Spicy and I dont know light? I smell corny but I think a lot of people would get pissy at me but hey fuckem. I smell a spicy coors light, and I swirled and warmed the beer to no end.

T: Meh. I think I just dont like the mouthfeel, but that caried over into the taste. Like drinking air that has spicyness. Not a real fan. The taste has very limited hop presence with a ... no wait no malt prescence because it was so carbonated I couldnt taste a damn thing...

M: Light, dry did I say light? For being so alcholic it doesnt carry over into a unique taste or mouthfeel. Just like an extremly fizzy beer with very few good qualities. Carbonation waaay to high, and I know its a Belgian, which apparently gives it supernatural qualities, but Im calling it saying I think what they did to this beer sucked.

D: I struggled and struggled to finish my 750 mL, but ended up tossing the rest. If you want a quick buzz go for it. But a good beer? Try DFH or stone. Because all I tasted here was hype. Belgian beers can make some crazy good brews, but this was not one of them.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours out a nice light clear golden with a nice foamy white head that rests on top.

Smell. Nice light spices, fruitier than i remember, some bananas, apples and fresh peahes. sweet and nice.

Taste. Dry and peppery. Light fruit flavors- some apple and spices- just a touch of clove. High carbonation and high alcohol gives it a nice bite on my tongue. Good yeast character. Aftertaste is just slightly tart, and has more pepper characteristics.

Mouthfeel. Tons of carbonation, just the slightest sip will fill my mouth from that carbonation. Body is about medium and behind the carbonation it seems a little slick.

Overall, just an excellent beer. Honestly i'm not into it being so dry, but it is still great. I have mentioned the alcohol in some places, but i do think it does cover the alc content quite nicely. I would love to have this again and again, but personally i'm a la fin du monde fan (sweeter).

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Very malt dominant aroma. Belgian pils and lots of it. Fermentation aromas include honey and lots of fruit (apples and peaches) and also a spicy component that I pick up as peppery.

Huge pillowy white head that really fills the oversized tulip Duvel glass. Pale golden colored and clear with lots of inviting rising carbonation bubbles.

Flavor is very malt dominant. It's a full flavored of malt, mostly belgian pils flavors. Hop bitterness is pretty high but there's very little hop flavor or aroma. I get more of the honey flavor effect and nice yeasty-estery effect that is both like bread and fruity. There's a lot of complexity in the flavor but it's all so well blended that it is also really straight-forward tasting.

Body is mediud. Carbonation level is a little biting that adds to the bittering effect. Not at all alcoholic in the mouthfeel but it has a warming effect in the stomach.

A great beer. It's strong and complex enough that you could sip and savor it. But it's brewed to hide the strength so you could also drink it as a thirst quencher. One of my favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Best looking beer...ever.
Pours a light golden color (think pilsner) with a head that's as thick an unending as possible. Leave it sitting for more than a minute and it'll solidify into a legitimate beer merangue. Carbonation never stops and the lacing is unparalelled.
Smell is actually of a slightly sour and spicy malt. Again, my first though was "pilsner!" though I know well that it's not.
The taste is fruity, yeasty, and malty all at the same time. It has a lot of the characteristics of a belgian ale, but crossed with a german malt flavor. The yeast is there, but it's not the star of the show like many other Belgians.
Mouthfeel's not as thick as you might expect from the head. Goes down easy and is VERY drinkable for a beer over 8%
This is great!

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%

This is a hard beer to pin down. I'm not a huge fan of Belgian ales but then this is not really typical of Belgian ales

. It's way fruitier and more estery than I usually like but yet it somehow works, but just barely.

It's a hazy yellow with the most monstrous head ever. Huge and the word I usually use --persistent-- doesn't begin to do it justice. I think if you left it alone it would be perpetual; the beer would evaporate eventually but the head would simply petrify and be discovered by 23rd Century archeologists.

The aroma is yeasty and fruity with something else I can't describe in the background-- maybe rye bread or some spice. It is also very volatile for some reason; even with the huge head, you get a lot of vapors.

Tthe taste is extremely tart, fruity and on the verge of being cloying but it somehow finished very clean with just a hint of the bitter hops. It's not like the Trappist Ales and Lambics but there is noticeable alcohol warmth. Again, when /i describe the beer, there are alot of individual characteristics that are not usually to my liking, but for some reason I do like this.

The body is medium and it's to the dry side despite the sweetness, if that makes sense. The mouth feel is bubbles; it has extremely intense carbonation-- maybe more than any beer I've ever had including American macros. It is almost overwhelming and if you drink too much it feels as though it might come out your nose before you can swallow.

I'd label this more interesting and unique than drinkable. It's good but I doubt I'd ever be inclined to drink more than half a 750 and even that's pushing it.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

I have had and reviewed this before, but I felt that this was such a classic and my palate has changed so much since then, I should revisit it.
It poured into the proper glassware a cloudy pale yellow with a big snow white foamy head that stayed around for several minutes. Thick sticky lacing clung like webs to the sides of the glass. Constant streams of CO2 bubbles travel upward fueling the foamy cap. Nice look ale, this.
Smell is fruit, hops, and alcohol and in that order. Almost reminds me of a toned down tripel.
Taste is more of the smell, with a semi-dryness to it countered by an appearance of cooked fruit. This is a little better than I remember it being, or rather, I am enjoying it more this time around.
I'll certainly buy Duvel again.
*I poured this from a 330mL bottle with a best by date of 03 2007.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a pale golden color from a brown, 330ml bottle with a freshness date of 03/09. The carbonation results in a cyclone of spouting up through the center.

The white fluffy head takes up half of the tulip, it's creamy and stiff and I think would stick around forever if I didn't eventually take a sip. A merengue dome solidifies a good half inch abouve the rim. The foam around the edges eventually recedes, but a puffy, marshmallow plateau remains in the center. The immense lacing clings to all contours of the glass in an intricate spider web pattern.

The fragrant aroma consists of citrus, apple, honey, clove, yeast and malt. Flavors of lemon, orange, apple, pear, candied malt, clove, caramel, subtle hobs, and warming alcohol. The mouth is light and vibrant with ample carbonation, yet complex. Plenty of citrus dancing on the front, mellowing into a mid section of malt and spice, then finishing with a touch of hop, a citrus aftershock, alcohol, and a refined touch of syrup sticking sweetly to the lips.

This ale is highly drinkable.I could always have four pack of Duvel on hand, like Joe Six Pack keeps a sixer of Bud.

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750mL bottle into snifter

Appearance: golden/ blonde with 2 inches of fluffy white foam. In short, eye candy.

Smell: Saaz hop spiciness and some pale malt, with the malt coming through more as it warms.

Taste: Slightly sweet and dry at once, again with the Saaz hop spiciness and mild fruitiness from the ale yeast.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light in body, which disguises the alcohol very well. Carbonation tickles.

Drinkability: I've learned the hard way that I have to be careful with this one. It looks like a Pilsener, but drinking it like a Pilsener is a bad idea. A sipping beer.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

This is, without a doubt, the greatest looking beer of all time!! It looks as if someone put cool whip in yer brew. Great creamy head, never goes away with some nice fruit esthers. Lacing all the way down the glass. Smooth beer and highly drinkable as the alcohol is undetectable. Feels remarkable on the palate. I highly recommend this one and it is resonably priced.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

This is a truly good beer and usually is a style I don't like.
It pours with a huge white head that fills up about half the Duvel tulip glass. Is a golden color that is very light cloudy (probably from the yeast). The head has great head retention that ends up going into what looks like a crumbled up white silk sheet just truly beautiful lacing.
The nose is filled with bananas and other light fruits and maybe a hint of lemon. Has some sweet malts and European hops.
The mouth has these fruits all over it. Also some light grains and maybe some bread also. Theres sweetness in the taste and aftertaste. As warms you do get a very light warming in back from alcohol.
Is thin/medium body with medium carbonation. Crisp and maybe a bit sticky.
This is a very good brew. Great for a nice hot day. Could drink this on a regular basis.

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Short stout brown bottle. Freshness date on the back label showing "month/year" with a batch number below.

Appearance - Clear pale/golden color. Pour was complex, and even with the "warning label" regarding the relaxed pour, I over filled twice! Wow amd I out ofpractice!! The head, good god the head! Big, white and looks like a well-whipped marangue.

Smell - Yeast, yeast and more yeast (and malt)! There is a peppery spicy bite to the smell that barely comes thru the yeast presence.

Taste - Now that I've written the "Appearance" and "Smell" sections, the head has finally decreased low enough to enjoy! Very creamy presentation (due to the carbonation) with a crisp presence. I would have expected this to last for days due to amount of carbonation feeding the sip, but it cleared well with little after taste. A majority of what I tasted was a excellent yeast-based and malt-based balance with a bit of a spice finish.

Mouthfeel - wow, the depth is so pronounced. This is as close to perfect of a balance as I've had in recent memory. This is a dense beer, but not heavy at all. The density does not feel totally due to the carbonation present at pour. This is all taste, not air.

Drinkability - This is one of my top 5 beers. Please pass me another, and another. Not at the same time however, this 8.5% adv will knock you on your arse!

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

I have been passing Duvel on the shelf for a while since I had it in France last Summer. Tonight, I saw a fresh case being put up in the Whole Foods, so I lifted one out for my cart.

I chilled it down in the fridge and then poured the golden ale into my 50cl glass to a great looking head. The first smell was very yeasty and tart. I couldn't put it down as I was looking for more variants in the flavor.

I was rewarded with all kinds flavors as the ale settled down and I was thinking how this reminded me of Ommegang Witte, Hennepin,
and a few Hefewiesen kind of beers.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV