Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Large 750 ml corked bottle that I had received as a Christmas present, finally opened at Easter to share with my father, a recent entry to the home brew revolution (well, he did a kit, but that's better than nearly 100% of the rest of humanity!)

Great golden color, slightly opaque. Poured with a HUUUUGE head...luckily, it came with pouring directions, and if you look closely at the little inch tall picture of the final pour, it has 1/2" of head (ie, half the glass) so I felt a lot less dumb having 2-3 inches of thick, frothy perma-head. I felt like Willy Wonka had slipped a fizzy-lifting roofy into the bottle! Poured some into an Ommegang Hennepin glass, some into a chilled glass mug.

Taste is light and crisp, aided (in some ways) by a fairly heavy carbonation. Hints of citrus, a bit of hop, and a big yeasty explosion of flavor. As has been pointed out before, you barely taste the alcohol in this bad boy. However, the carbonation definitely leaves the mouthfeel lacking...too close to weak soda, in that its there, and then it disappears...there is too little tail on the taste, too little ability to savor the lingering taste between sips. However, when you do sip it....utter beer bliss.

This is definitely a drinkable beer, almost dangerously so. Definitely good stuff. When there's a lot of alcohol, I prefer to know it bodily. Better to know you're drunk than to not realize it...

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Sunny yellow in colour with a bit of haze. Huge carbonation with a very lasting head. Strong yeasty aroma, as one would expect from this type of beer, along with some more subtle notes of light malt, citrus, and a touch of spice. Tastes of buttered bread, lemon, and a hint of pepper. Warming, with a mild grassy hop flavor on the finish.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Presentation: 330mL stubby brown bottle with "best before" date clearly printed on back label. Poured reserving about 2 ounces for yeast pour later.

Appearance: Smallish white head, that lasts fairly well and leaves a nice lacing in the glass. Body is crystal-clear and bright golden, with lots of streams of carbonation.

Smell: Spicy, warm, peppery; this is definitely a bottle-conditioned, all the yeast characters are at the party.

Taste: put a clean pilsener on steroids, and you've got this. Really full and rich, but clean and crisp at the same time. Buttery, spicy, slightly fruity. Mmmmm

Mouthfeel is crisp and bitey, with a medium dry finish.

Way too drinkable for 8.5% -- you can't taste it at all.

Note: left three ounces in the glass and swirled and dumped the yeast in. Let it settle a bit -- in my mind, this completes the beer: makes the head huge and rocky, rounds out the mouthfeel, dries the finish, and fills out the flavor. Much better. I would pour this like a Hefeweizen the next time, but then I'm a yeast nut.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

This may very well be my favorite brew, seems to be a perfect marrige of pils & trippel. Poured into my favorite Trmens glass I found it remarkably drinkable especially for an 8.5% beer. A bit hoppier than typical belgian gold ales but nowhere near dominating. A regenerating white head & golden hue are somewhat hypnotic I keep staring. Sip after bigger sip and so on, I pour another "Devil"

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

750 ml corked bottle. Best before 9/08
Pours an straw-golden yelllow with an unbelievably immense head. The brew is moderately cloudy in appearance due to the bottle fermentation, but through the yeast I can see millions of little bubbles struggle their way to join their brethren at the surface. Maybe the most beautiful head I have ever seen on any beer.

Initial spicy saaz hop aroma... very pils-esque (not a positive feature in my mind, but that is just my personal preference of course). This is followed by a huge yeasty backbone. Lots of citrusy lemon zest. Malt is easily identifiable in this brew as well, although it takes back seat to the other aromas.

Perhaps it is the intense carbonation in this brew, but I have a hard time discerning any strong independant flavours. Lots of yeast, but other than that, somewhat boring. Perhaps a bit of doughy breadiness. Kinda disappointed here. It's not bad by any means.... I just don't see what is so spectacular about it.

This brew is way too highly carbonated in my opinion. Carbonation destroys the flavour in this case, and makes the mouthfeel too tight and dry. While the overall thickness of the beer is about right, the total mouthfeel is only average.

I have mixed feelings regarding the drinkability. For one, the 8.5% abv is nowhere to be found in this light crisp beverage. On the other hand, the carbonation is so extreme that it kinda ruins this brew for me. So I will leave it at this... while I think this brew is different, and I respect that, it is not for me. I doubt I'll be dropping $8 for a 750ml again any time soon.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

WOW! I poured this into a Duvel glass. It pours a gold color with an amazing, almost overwhelming head with high carbonation. It smelled floral with a tinge of alcohol. The taste was like biting into a lightly sugared, spiked green apple. It was very refreshing and unique. I ordered another and let others taste it and everyone was simply amazed at the unique flavor. This is a beer unto itself. The taste of alcohol does become apparent, otherwise it would be endlessly drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel goblet.

Visually...just amazing! Even though I poured it slowly, the head just kept growing! Very white, very fluffy. Like shaving cream on top of the beer [and it lasted until it the beer was finished]. Tons of carbonation can be seen. Pale yellow.

Aroma comes flying at you...many different things...lots of citrus [lemons, orange]. Spicy. Very nice.

The taste is wonderful. Light, creamy. Again, alot going on here: pears, spiciness, pineapple, citrus, etc. Light hops. Quite complex.

The mouthfeel is nicely balance and cleansing. Overall, a very refreshing, crisp and wonderful pale ale. Very impressive. Amazingly, I didn't taste the 8.5% ABV, but I defnitely feel it. While I would like to, I certainly couldn't drink too many of these in a night. It did go well with my stuff salmon.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahhh...Duvel. A fan favew of mine. Pours hazy yellow with a head that lives forever, smells a bit sweet and yeasty. Taste is a very powerful yeasty, hoppy flavors with a bit of alcohol kick. Mouthfeel is really nice and finishes up slightly bitter. A nice sipping beer after dinner.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fluffy rocky head. Thick lacing. Golden pale color. Beautiful brew.

Sweet apple smell, slight pale malt with Belgian yeast and alcohol smells.

Smooth crisp taste. Belgian yeast taste with alcohol warming and nice carbonation tingle.

This is a great beer. I hope I come across this again often.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into my brand-new authentic Duvel goblet. Light golden color with a MASSIVE foamy head (fills half the goblet) that stays around forever & clings to the sides of the glass. Tons of bubbles rise to the top, especially a pillar of carbonation in the middle where the stem meets the bottom of the glass. Aroma is very sweet with hints of fruit. Taste is surprisingly dry considering the aroma. There is some initial sweetness followed by a dry, white wine type of bitterness. There is a sharp, spicy bite of yeast, hops, and alcohol in the swallow, but nothing overwhelming. Medium mouthfeel that tingles on the tongue from all the carbonation. All in all, pretty good stuff!! Not quite on the level of say, Delerium Tremens, but not a bad 2nd choice, either. Well worth the price.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV Duvel, 11.2 oz stubby:

There ain’t much more inviting than a Duvel Tulip full of Duvel. Classic, shimmering crystal clear gold under a three finger head that is Duvel. This seems to me to be the standard of the BSPA category…appetizing, subtly sweet, yeasty, crisp, silky, and refreshing. A pepper-like quality sneaks in, along with some citrus…and the 8.5% ABV is nowhere to be seen. Dangerously drinkable, yet so very simple that I sometimes forget what a great beer this really is; I’m glad I took the time to remind myself.

Cheers…

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a clear straw, then clouded by the yeast pour. Forms a dense head that fills the glass, then settles to hills of foam that retain very well and leave a thin sticky film on the glass. Abundance of tiny carbonation bubbles racing to the top. Heavy belgian phenolic aroma like bananas and lemons, with a mild medicinal note. Noble hops and a pale malt background round out the nose. Whiff of ester as it warms. First sip is sweet pale malt, with zesty citrus and light fruity phenols gently washing over the palate. Mild yeast bite in the aftertaste, with a snap of well-attentuated alcohol that is subdued by a faint hop bitterness for a nearly perfect balance of flavor. The carbonation is high, but not overdone; the light/medium body and results in a lively yet extra smooth mouthfeel. The phenols linger in the finish but fade and the drinkability remains high considering the ABV. Nearly perfect execution of style, very sexy.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Belgian Strong Pale Ales are not one of my favorite styles, but Ido like the Duvel. Appearance is wuite nice: fluffy head and a great golden color. Aroma is heavy on the yeast and quite earthy. Very refreshing, but very carbonated. Too carbonated for my liking. However, this beer is a great example of the style.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

A healthy golden with beautiful white fluffy foamy head. Champagne-like bubbles continuesly rising. Lacing all over the glass. The body looks almost exactly like Delirium Tremens.

Yeasty earthy nose.

Duvel has a bready taste. The yeast is very present. I suppose it is as yeasty and earthy tasting as it smells. Kind of more relaxed and mellower than Delirium.

Very easy going down, and deceptive (concerning the alcohol content). I liked it, but there are other pale Belgian strong ales I would choose first.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a corked 750 ml bottle, Duvel has a brilliant gold color with a huge pillowy head that wouldn't go away. Every time I scooped some of the head out, it just kept coming back. Aroma was sweet and winey, almost champagne-like. The beer was quite sweet but had a dry finish with a slight herbal hoppiness. Duvel was smooth on the palate and had excellent balance between the sweetness and dryness. This beer is incredibly drinkable for the strength. In my opinion, this is the "Champagne of Beers". Excellent!

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

Best before 10/08, poured from a 33cl bottle
Poured into my Bornem chalice ever so carefully. Appearance is gorgeous: thick lucious head, bubbly as hell, excellent retention, never seen anything like this. Crystal clear (this is bottle cond.??)
Aromas are estery, alcoholic, dried fruits are detected. Akin to any tripel or belgian pale I've smelled. Incredible carbonation tickles the tongue. Sweetness about with a little sour bite. This brew is struggling to hide the alcohol as it is ever so apparent. As a result, the drinkability suffers; I will definitely enjoy this bottle, but I don't think I could have anymore. Hops are nowhere to be seen. This is simply a mouthful of overcarbonated alcohol. Though I suppose that's what the devil would be if he was a beer.

4.43/5  rDev +4%

Appearance - Welcoming warm golden, very white headed, full of gas. Looks most appealing in its wide mouthed tulip glass (which also helps pouring) Slow pour means dead slow. If anything is off balance in this beer it is that it's on the over gassed side.

Smell - Sweet and yeasty, the thing I like least about this beer.

Taste - The gas hides the strength to a degree, it does not take much in the mouth to get good flavour. The beer is sweet but not fruity, slightly but not excessively yeasty, the aftertaste lingers beautifully, a wee bottle can be made to go a long way.

Mouthfeel - The beer bubbles in the mouth, once you get used to its high fizz its so easy to get comfortable with.

Drinkability - One to be slow sipped any other drink that night would taste inferior! The 8.5% alcohol tastes good, too often strong beers taste too strong.

I like it served a lot colder than is recommended, the cold takes a shade of the gas out. The small 11.2oz bottles are more fizzy than the large. The gas balance is better at 34F in the small bottles than the larger ones.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Frothy white head. Golden straw colored with a million tiny bubbles racing to the top.

S - Spicy, sweet, yeastie and a little fruity. I really have a hard time describing the smell of Belgians.

T - First sip is has a spicy sweetness up front. I'd try and pick out the fruit tastes but I just can't so I'll leave it at that. In the middle there's a nice sweet maltiness and some hop bitterness to round things out nicely. I've had other Belgians that were just over the top in that yeastie profile - this one isn't. Everything seems to be balanced.

M - It's like a champagne. That's the best I can describe it. Refreshing with a somewhat tart and crisp finish. Not overly dry - just right on the mouthfeel. I actually think it's probably one of the better 'light' beers I've tried in respect to mouthfeel.

D - Each Belgian I try gets better and better with this one being the best. It could be I've grown accustomed to the taste or I just keep picking better beers. I'd like to think with this one, the latter holds true. Careful with this one - it doesn't have the heavy feeling of a 8.5% ABV beer. You could easily get hammered on this one without even knowing it. I'd definitely buy this again.

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

Best before 12/2005, cellared for a few years as an experiment.

Appearance - starts to foam up at the uncap, almost coming out of the bottle but not quite. Pours a straw color, lightly hazed, and lots of white foam. Leaves rings of lace as it recedes, it definitely hasn't gone flat in storage.

Aroma - lightly crackery, sweet, and little else. Very faint odor, there's very little here at all.

Taste - mellowed sweetness, almost like an imperial pilsner flavor, but the Belgian candi sugar keeps it in the ballpark style-wise. As it warms, more of the Belgian sweetness comes through. Nothing fancy on the finish, perhaps a glimmer of hops. Some warm breathy alcohol, pretty decent on the whole.

Mouthfeel - vapor from the alcohol fills the mouth, very well-carbonated as you might expect. Well done.

Drinkability - good beer, not really worth cellaring though. It keeps great, but it doesn't turn into anything special. Still, right tasty and a highly sessionable brew for 8.5 abv.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am drinking a 750 mL C&C bottle poured into a Chimay goblet. The ale is slightly chilled, as I only put it in the fridge 30 minutes ago.

Appearance: The ale pours a crystal clear, brilliant yellow color. There is no sign of any sediment in the ale. The ale pours with an intense deep head that keeps going and going and going... The result of this head is an incredible ring of lace around the glass.

Smell: The ale has a slightly sweet candied aroma to it. There are also peppercorns in the nose.

Taste: The ale has a light sweet candied sugar taste to it. Beyond the sugars, I pick up some spices that remind me of a good tripel: peppercorn being the taste on the forefront.

Mouthfeel: The ale's hyper-carbonation provides a welcome cleansing taste with every sip.

Drinkability: This ale is a winner. The candied flavors work well in warm or cold weather and the sweetness of the ale really hits the spot.

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass ( should probably get a tulip shaped glass to truly appreciate the complexity's of this beer ).

This is my first Duvel and have never had a beer quite like it.

Even though I gently poured it into my tilted glass the foam head quickly filled my pilsner glass 2/3 full of effervescent fluffy white foam, which was very slow to dissipate.

Duvel is medium to light golden color with lots of tiny bubbles that don't quit.

Smell is of hay,yeast, and fruit.

Taste is of hay, yeast, slight fruitiness, pepper and malt with a touch of bitter. I can taste the alcohol ( not to mention feel it ) but not so much that it is unpleasant.

Duvel kind of reminds me of drinking champagne with all the bubbles and the higher alcohol content but is most definitely beer with a unique taste that is hard to pin down. I think I will have to keep sampling these from time to time to get a better feel for them.

I bought a 4 pack of these at Corral liquor in Granite City IL for 7.99

This is my first post on a beer forum, and I'm not hip to all the Lingo, but I do enjoy Beer and trying new things and have been using this site to pick new beers to try, so hopefully I will eventually get better at my evaluations. Cheers Bigdaddy

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

11.2 fl oz bottle with a best before date of 6/08. Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a beautiful fluffy white head, great longevity and equally great lace. Nice yeasty aromas, slightly orange citrus. Slight wheat malt and yeast flavors with fair amont of hop presence. Alcohol is well hidden. Slightly citric and peppery. A beautiful example of the style. A true classic and one for ll the others to be judged by.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear, bubbly pilsener color with a nicely laced white head. Very lively mouthfeel. Alcohol is covered fairly well. Rather sweet, peppered, and candied flavor with a spicy hop finish. Smells of bubble gum and candy. Simple and deliciously drinkable. Wonderfully dry, almost brut champagne like..

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Finally time to review one of my absolute favorite beers. Poured ever so slowly from a 11.2 ounce bottle into my Duvel tulip (is there really another way?). This is hands down the most beautiful looking beer I have ever seen. Straw colored with the most breathtaking stormcloud of white towering foam. If poured correctly you should have roughly half beer and half head in your glass. The head retention is pretty amazing and the lacing extensive. Really a site to behold. The smell is hay, pepper, and lemon zest. Taste is light, crisp at first. Taste of rich spices like coriander and pepper, a little lemon, and some nice buttery malts. Aftertaste is that wonderful spice flavor followed by a nice glowing warming sensation in your belly and body. This must be what it feels like to give your spirit a bath. Alcohol feeling is present and strong, but not so abundant in the taste. Still a quaffer and a sipper...take her real easy. Drinkability suffers slightly because of the high alcohol. Overall, one of my top ten favorite beers and one that never dissapoints.

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

The bottle and accompanying tulip-shaped glass it is served with is a show-stopper immediately in any bar. People will look at you and know you are well-versed in beers... but that is the least of concern, to you the drinker.
The beer must be poured slowly, as the head gives rise quickly and without hesitation... patience is rewarded. The smell is light, but not mysterious. One can definitely detect a slight hint of weight, and also several fruits. An apple maybe, but definitely a little lemon rind. Very carbonated, and light in the mouth; combined with the taste it is fun to drink, but be careful. At 8.5%, the fun can get ahold of you quick...
An exquisite beer to say the least.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV