Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Short stout brown bottle. Freshness date on the back label showing "month/year" with a batch number below.

Appearance - Clear pale/golden color. Pour was complex, and even with the "warning label" regarding the relaxed pour, I over filled twice! Wow amd I out ofpractice!! The head, good god the head! Big, white and looks like a well-whipped marangue.

Smell - Yeast, yeast and more yeast (and malt)! There is a peppery spicy bite to the smell that barely comes thru the yeast presence.

Taste - Now that I've written the "Appearance" and "Smell" sections, the head has finally decreased low enough to enjoy! Very creamy presentation (due to the carbonation) with a crisp presence. I would have expected this to last for days due to amount of carbonation feeding the sip, but it cleared well with little after taste. A majority of what I tasted was a excellent yeast-based and malt-based balance with a bit of a spice finish.

Mouthfeel - wow, the depth is so pronounced. This is as close to perfect of a balance as I've had in recent memory. This is a dense beer, but not heavy at all. The density does not feel totally due to the carbonation present at pour. This is all taste, not air.

Drinkability - This is one of my top 5 beers. Please pass me another, and another. Not at the same time however, this 8.5% adv will knock you on your arse!

4.25/5  rDev 0%

I have been passing Duvel on the shelf for a while since I had it in France last Summer. Tonight, I saw a fresh case being put up in the Whole Foods, so I lifted one out for my cart.

I chilled it down in the fridge and then poured the golden ale into my 50cl glass to a great looking head. The first smell was very yeasty and tart. I couldn't put it down as I was looking for more variants in the flavor.

I was rewarded with all kinds flavors as the ale settled down and I was thinking how this reminded me of Ommegang Witte, Hennepin,
and a few Hefewiesen kind of beers.

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

Picked up a 4 pack at Alpine Beverage in Helen, GA on a recent visit. Pours a beautiful bright gold color with a head that just won't quit. Even with a relaxed pour, the head just billows up thick, creamy, rocky and just will not go away. Nice thick lacing clings to the glass. Very complex aroma of fruit, citrus, yeast and spice. Taste is well balanced and complex. Hinds of fruit, peppery yeast and just the right amount of bitteness to balance the malt sweetness. A true classic and one to savor!

4.42/5  rDev +4%

Part of Liquor Barn's ultimate brew crew- Aug '06 Belgian Ales

A: Pale gold color with champagne bubbles and a mountainous white head.

S: The aroma of ripe fruit dominates

T: Some floral hop bitterness on top of ripe fruit.

M: Lots of carbonation with medium body

D: A very good belgian ale of any style.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: Great head, good retention. But damn, this beer goes a little too crazy with the carbonation.

Smell is strong, almost watered down liquor like at first. The hops come through on the nose.

Taste: smooth, balanced. I can taste a little bit of darker malts in the mix. Caramel malts?

Mouthfeel: crisp

Drinkability: easy to drink sessionable beer. Too bad it costs a shitload. It's not really worth the price IMO

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a hazy, extremely pale, straw-like yellow with tiny bubbles flowing up the side of the glass. An absolutely ridiculous head - huge, fluffy, rocky, like a huge cloud floating on my beer. Terrific lacing as well. Smells of yeast, cloves, spiciness, white grapes. Taste is extremely crisp. Touches of yeast, bready, clove, some bananas, spices. It starts off rather sweet and evolves into a very tart and semi-dry finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied but feels very light, champagne-like carbonation - tons of tiny little bubbles. This beer, in many ways, does remind me of a fine glass of champagne. Maybe Miller, with their moniker "Champagne of Beers" could use a lesson or two from the Belgians. This is the true "Champagne of Beers."

4.46/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured the 11.2oz. bottle to a goblet.

A: Enorrmous chunky/fluffy white head, with great retention - almost 3 fingers high - there are very few beers that come close to this kind of rockiness. A hazy straw-colored golden with copious amounts of tiny carbonation.

S: Lots of clove, spiciness. Also, some lightly herbal grass & wheat.

T: Mild fruits, orange. A bit of banana ester. Some wonderful clove & spices. A beautiful beer with expressive malt and yeast. Initially slightly sweet, but evolves to a hint of sourness then a dry finish. Alcohol is well-masked.

M: Clean & crisp with a slight prickle, evidently due to the constant streams of carbonation! Medium body but with a nice, lighter mouthfeel.

D: A delicious drink, seems too easy to not stop at one. "Devilishly" sneaky big ABV. A personal favorite which I recommend highly. If 'drinkable' is found in the dictionary, there's a picture of Duvel next to it, which is kinda scary when the ABV is 8.5%.

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance is fantastic...crystal clear pale yellow, HUGE rocky, meringue-like head that lasts forever.

Smell is spicey, floral, fruity.

Taste is actually something of a letdown. I get a distinct cidery flavor I can only guess is the Belgian candi sugar. Otherwise, a crisp, sweet, citrusey flavor.

Mouthfeel is light, with champagne-like carbonation. Very dry on the finish.

Drinkable, definitely drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

This beer has a lovely lushes head that rises to the top off its glass. The effervescence is comparable to Champagne. The sent is of citrous, cloves, pleasant mild alcohol vapors and so much more. The taste is wonderful. If you allow it to wander to the tip of your tongue it will over power your taste with it's wonderful carbonation. It's delicious, it only makes me want more ( in fact I am about to go to the store and buy another four pack). This beer is amazing, both refreshing and delicious, but one must be careful, on an empty stomach it will pack quite a wallop. Thank you Duvel

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

I'd had Duvel quite a few times in the US, and then quite a few more times when I went on holiday in Belgium. Belgium's a great place. You can pick up a 4-pack of Duvel in any gas station. In any deli. In any food establishment in the country. It's just great.
The beer itself is my benchmark for Belgian Ales. Beautiful golden body. Fluffy white head. Sweet, malty nose. Sweet, sugar-like taste with that fantastic bite at the end thanks to the high alcohol content and the yeast strain. Mouthfeel is light and welcoming, and drinkability is scary good.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Duvel take 2.

Pours a nice pale yellow. Rapid moving carbonation streams emit upwards. Massive white head retains excellently. Smell of light pears, malt sweetness, and spice. Taste upfront is tangy and crisp. Maltyness upfront with a solid spicy hop backbone. Low profile florals. Fruits are there, but only come in lightly. This beer fits the Belgian Pale Ale category perfectly. Duvel is crisp and light on the palate, and is dangerously drinkable.
Duvel is one of the best, much respect goes out to this beer. Definitely recommended.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Very biig foamy head that last long. Very pale yellow color. It smells very sugary, with hints of coriander and clove. Flowers and prunes too.
Citric flavor, with spices, coriander and fruits in the mouth. Citrusy, bready and flowery. Very complex you keep discovering things as you drink.

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

pours bright yellow with a big fluffy head. it actually overflowed my tulip glass just a little as i was pouring. after a couple minutes the head drops, but it leaves lots of heavy meringue-like lace.

aroma is great. spicy. clove. orange peel.

taste is nice. noticeable alcohol presence, but not overpowering. slight bitterness. spicy, with noticeable clove and a little pepper. nice dry finish. some alcohol warmth on the way down. nice malty presence that comes through more as it warms.

mouthfeel is good. doesn't feel like it's over 8%, other than the warmth in the finish. nice and dry.

drinkability is good. as i said above, it's dry and hides the alcohol fairly well, which leads to a nice, drinkable beer.

4.06/5  rDev -4.5%

At 2 quid a bottle, this stuffs dearer than petrol, so here’s hoping it doesn't taste like it too! Admittedly, I've already had this before, but the glassware left something to be desired. I still haven't got me tulip glasses yet, but anyway, I digress.

A - Poured into a large bowl type goblet, which I guess, is just a big wine glass. A pale straw coloured liquid flowed from the stubby bottle, filling the glass and producing a 3cm head of fluffy, almost pillow like froth. Actually, 30 seconds or so after pouring, the head increased somewhat in size, fed from a constant upward stream of fine bubbles, until it was teetering over the brim. A marvellous sight indeed. All I need now is a flake (cliché). Plenty of lacing left on the glass as it slowly emptied.

S - Spicy, citrus. I picked up a strong alcohol smell initially, but as the beer warmed/oxidised it faded. Cloves, cardamoms, faint cinnamon lemons and tangerines. Not overpowering in the least. Very pleasant indeed.

T - The first sip, after fighting my way through the deep sumptuous head was dominated by alcohol. It kind of reminded me a bit of gold label and special brew from my formative years on various parks and bus stops. Not good. However, subsequent sips produced a more satisfying result. The alcohol taste diminished, leaving a faintly sweet citrus and clove taste, with a hint of freshly baked farmhouse bread. This stuff must be wholesome.

M - I wasn't hoping for something chewy here, and I didn't get it. Quite a light mouth feel, subtly carbonated. In fact, I feel the light mouth feel of this complements the taste nicely. Nice residual coating after the beer descends the gullet.

D - The price and the alcohol content are prohibitive for me, being the piss poor lightweight I am. However, I don't think I'd want to session on this. It seems too good to just knock back without savouring every drop. Besides, Belgian beer, in quantity, has the tendency to put me on my arse, so there.

I'm not too sure if I scored this beer in excess of its worth, as I haven't reviewed that many beers, or tasted that many of this particular style. However, even Carling swilling philistine friends of mine have been impressed with this, so maybe it deserves its score.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Duvel is just a style on it's own and although I was somewhat sceptical before reviewing it, I have to agree with a lot of people.

Color is bright yellow golden and it has a extremely stable head and a lot of carbonation.
Smell is odd, sulfuric with bananas and the alcohol is present.
Taste is dry and bitter like a good lager, but with more malt and alcohol in it. There was also a kind of greenish taste, but this is probably the DMS. I also have some associations with hay or straw. Could this be the malt or the hop?
Duvel is very drinkable, but hits you in the head after 3 glasses and even then I don't feel like quiting. Body is pretty empty.

4.06/5  rDev -4.5%

I poured this beer into a tulip glass. The color is a clear light gold and it has an incredibly frothy head with great retention. Looking at this beer, it says, "Drink me!” The aroma is primarily malty, with some noticeable yeast fruitiness. There are hints of hops in the aroma, but it's mostly dominated by the malt and yeast. As it warms up a bit, the alcoholic content is noticeable in the aroma. Upon tasting, as with the aroma, the malt and citrus-like yeast character are out front with a very light hop accents on the finish. As it warms up, the alcoholic strength is more evident. It has a medium-light body with high carbonation.

This is fine Belgian golden ale and a good example of the style. This is probably not my favorite within the style, but very good none-the-less.

3.14/5  rDev -26.1%

Fortunately for me this beer is still available in its "real" 33 cl bottle and not in the boring "euro" 30 cl bottles. It is such a well-known special beer here in the Netherlands that the shape of the bottle is referred to as "Duvelflesje" (Duvel bottle) even though there are many more beers bottled in it.

Poured in its own wide chalice it creates a thick head that slowly settles. The color is yellow with lots of bubbles. The smell, like the taste has a certain bitterness in it that reminds me of pilsner beer. This is the reason I shied away from it for years but lately I learned to appreciate it more. Oh, you live and learn!

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Effervescent Spanish doubloon gold beneath a massive alabaster head of frothily creamy foam. I don't have a Duvel glass, but I do have a flared-top snifter that is almost identical other than the decal. The cap retains a melty, bubbly, 'scoop of mousse' look as it falls and leaves a wonderful array of abstract patterned lace on all available surfaces. As I knew it would be, this is one gorgeous beer.

The nose is no slouch either. It's immensely golden fruity (apples and pears) with more than a little musky hoppiness and an equal amount of spicy yeastiness. BSPAs are similar to my favorite Belgian style (tripels) and this one is the equal of all but the very best of those. A wee whiff of alcohol adds strength of purpose.

At long last, the great Duvel has come into contact with my taste buds and I have to say that it's everything that I'd hoped it would be. It's amazing how such an aggressively flavored beer can be so light in the mouth, so gentle, so dreamily drinkable. I think that Brouwerij Duvel has it wrong when they recommend drinking this fine ale at 40-50 degrees. I started my bottle out at 50 and the flavor is becoming deeper and more complex as it warms.

The flavor profile is a nearly perfect combination of sweet and snappy pears, lemon zest and peppery-clovey yeast. Just when I think that one member of that trio is most dominant, the others catch up and overtake it. I'm stunned at how compulsively drinkable this beer is; my hand keeps reaching for the glass instead of recording my impressions. As with all great high ABV beer, alcohol is noticed on the palate, but is such an integral part of the whole that eliminating it would make for a lesser flavor experience.

There's too much flavor, too much underlying sweetness and too much glorious hoppy bitterness for the finish to be considered clean, but then I've always though that clean finishes were overrated. The final few ounces (which have come much sooner in this review than usual) are even more chock full of flavor and even more peppery, more tartly fruity, more noble hoppy and more delicious.

How do they make the body/mouthfeel so cumulus cloud light and airy, yet substantial enough to keep the beer in contact with the taste buds for so long? I got used to highly carbonated Belgian beer a while ago and now wouldn't have it any other way. This stuff is pure pleasure in the mouth and the angelic mouthfeel is a big reason why it's disappearing so devilishly fast.

I had a pretty good idea that I would like Duvel when I finally got around to trying it. I didn't realize, however, just how truly special it is. I don't know if 'it's a style unto itself' as the brewery claims, but it's certainly the best BSPA that I've ever had the pleasure to consume and is the new gold standard by which all others will now be judged.

4.11/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from the 75 cL bottle into a La Moneuse tulip. Easily generates a gargantuan head, just as tall as the liquid volume. Color is bright golden like a pils, but appears thicker. Very rapid bubble rising, and lots of lacing.

Smells of spicy noble hops (again, like a pils), yeast, candi, and alcohol. A nice odor.

Very grainy, bitter finish, preceded by a floral hop note. This is truly like a Belgo-fied double pils. A wonderful, spicy alcoholic taste.

Mouthfeel is medium thick, and very highly carbonated. A delight.

Overall, a good drinker, and a wonderful revisit.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours pale yellow with an absolutely huge head that is extremely dense and breaks down slowly.

Has a clove and teaberry smell with an almost waxy quality like that found in a good sake. Maybe some banana there as well.

Subtle flavors of banana, bubblegum, and spice, with some bitterness and slight tartness on the finish. Very well balanced, and the whole is more than a sum of its parts. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is crisp at first, but with a very creamy body as well- really perfect for this style.

Very drinkable- perilously so. Slides right down with no hint of the 8.5% abv, and with enough interesting flavors to keep you coming back. On top of that, its quite quenching. Really an outstanding beer, and something I've drunk over and over again through the years.

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%

33 cl bottle, served in open flute crystal glass.

Pale yellow color is distinct and "pretty" (maybe too much so) with beautiful foamy, aromatic, and brilliant white clean head. Smell of mild hops and flowers, would make a wonderful perfume. Complex taste, like the aroma, with mild hops fading to flowers and almost no hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel is very nice, perfect carbonation and very active. Also surprisingly refreshing, I could drink this all day. This is a brilliant crafted beer, but doesn't rate perfectly for me since it doesn't adequately incorporate malts into the flavor.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Pour with care. I tried and still had as much head as brew.Hell, there are even instructions as to correct pouring of the beer on the label, hahahaha.
The color is pale yellow to amber. carbonation is indeed one of this beer's strong points.
Smells of yeast hops and lemon zest hit your nose along with the
alcohol and fruit.
A clean fresh lemony taste followed by a slightly sweet fruity taste.
There is a dark alcoholy aftertaste that is quite nice. Very clean mouthfeel.
Even though this is a strong beer, it is very drinkable and I would love to have a couple of these 750's at one sitting.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

330 cl bottle into Duvel tulip. Mammoth head - pour unhurriedly indeed.

Liquid gold sums up the appearance nicely.

Taste is godly. Just a beautifully balanced bruiser at 8.5% - eminently drinkable, too much in fact. The only thing keeping me from a 5 in taste is a slightly cloying sensation as the beer sweats in the Chicagoland humidity. Is it banana? Clove? The alcohol presence really exerts itself as the bottle winds down and warms up.

Overall a beautifully crafted beer. Kingpin of its style, and given its generally good availability, I would say I will be drinking this again and again with no compunctions.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance
Poured with a huge solid head even though it was slowly poured with care. White head almost with body of whipped cream persisted while the beer was enjoyed, leaving thick white lacings inside the glass. Beer was clear and light gold in colour.

Aroma
Sweet and fruity, more lemon than coriander. Bready smell, and there was also a hint of alcohol.

Taste
Very clean tasting, with a lemon/coriander bready flavour. Accentuated with just a hint of hops.

Mouthfeel
Wonderful creamy head. Was slightly tart. Flavours very well balanced and clean.

Drinkability
An amazingly easy beer to drink. While their was a hint of alcohol in the aroma it was not noticable while drinking and tasting. A wonderfully decadent session could be had with this brew. This is something ill be enjoying again.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Finally cracked open my 750ml bottle....
Straw in color...two full fingers off bright white head that sticks around for most of the glass and produces some thin lacing.
Spicy aroma...banana, mild clove, lemon zest.
Semi-sweet and very well balanced with all of the items mentioned above...the alcohol is adequately masked. A generous hop bittering shines through too.
Mouthfeel is smooth, yet quite carbonated...finished dry and clean.
Dangerous one here...goes down too easy and is well received from me this time of year. A must try if you are working to expand your pallet towards the style.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV