Join our email list →

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
Belgium | website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale | 8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,725 | Hads: 7,541
3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Bottle. Maybe a little too much hype. Pours clear gold with the big white, fluffy head. Aroma is yeasty and sweet with sugar. Taste is the same, kind of like a tripel. Very rich and strong flavors, maybe too much. Its really good, but I don't really want it again.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Got this in a "big" 25-ounce(ish) bottle.

Nice, pillow-y head (solid . . . and seemingly eternal). The appearance (pale golden yellow) and smell are very attractive. The mouthfeel is very light, as is the flavor . . . sweet up front and progressively more bitter at the finish.

I was really surprised by this . . . not really excited by the prospect of a Belgian beer (was a gift). I'd buy this in the future (should I see it).

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank from an 11.2 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA

Poured a somewhat hazy, light straw with a huge, five-finger bubbly head. The resulting chunks of froth eventually faded to a dollop of foam in the middle of the glass, which lasted for most of the drink. Tons of bubbly, sticking lacing throughout.

Smell was of smooth Saaz hops. Grassy and hay-like notes were apparent. Clean and fresh like the countryside. Some alcohol noticeable as well. The aromas became gradually more intense as the beer warmed.

Taste was hoppy as well (Saaz hops), with an astringent alcohol bite. Some alcohol warming throughout the entire mouth. Peppery notes were detectable along with a slight grainyness. Crisp, clean, snappy hop finish, but not as dry as expected.

Mouthfeel was medium-light. Carbonation was somewhat heavy and tickled the tongue.

This is a nice beer to pair with fish. It is fairly easy drinking regardless of the fact that the alcohol can become a bit overwhelming.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

I've had this one in the fridge for a while now and I've been excited to try it, so here goes. Poured from one of the funkiest little bottles I've ever seen into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a very pale, light yellow straw-like color with a massive three finger head that is so fluffy that it looks like a merengue with incredible retention (seriously, the retention is so strong that I almost want to deduct points because it's making me wait so long to actually sip this beer); body is suprisingly clear and shows super strong carbonation;

Smell: An interesting smell emanates from my glass, as I definitely pick up a strong presence of yeast, but there is something very grainy and familiar about it as well so as I read the bottle, I see it is brewed with pilsener malts, so it all falls into place as it is very reminiscent of a pilsner in scent; light fruity esters that are a bit like apple, but a hint smoother and don't seem quite as acidic; and light notes of spices as well.

Taste: Yeast, a bit of a grassy and bitter hop presence as well; very grainy malt presence; very subdued spice notes. Not as rich as I would have expected and the spices are definitely downplayed -- much more of a bitter and earthy presence. It's still quite good, just not what I was expecting. Aftertaste is especially bitter and the alcohol becomes more of a presence as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Full of carbonation, a slightly drying effect on the roof of the mouth in the back and slight stickiness over the rest; belly is warmed quite nicely from the alcohol.

Drinkability: It's not too bad, I guess I have found a preference for other Belgians though that don't have quite the bitter preference. It's got a nice flavor and a beautiful appearance, but the ABV is a bit high for too many of these in a row, plus, it's a bit on the pricey side.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

very nice tasting beer. Kind of fruity taste. The only problem is that my buddy bought a 4 pack and 3 of the 4 as soon as opening them overflowed terribly. Why is that with this beer. If it wasnt for that this would be a regular in our beer fridge. now im not sure of getting this one again.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Beer pours a pale/white color with a generous head of foam. Aroma is one of fruit, especially apple, mixed in with spice. The taste is somewhat subdued with hints of apple and spice melting away into an aftertaste that is somewhat smooth and thin. It's somewhat smooth and drinkable when it gets to the back of the throat that is.

Overall, pretty well balanced for such a strong beer. For some reason, I feel the mouthfeel falls flat.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Great though I don't know if it's worth the difference in price that it often manifests. This was the first beer that I tried in North Carolina that was greater than 6.5% alcohol as that we just passed out "Pop the Cap" bill allowing for a rush of new, often wonderful, beers

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

I served it in a Pilsener glass and wow, the head was at least 5 fingers. I should have paid attention to the label "pour slowly". The foam really sticks to the glass like no other beer. It is very light in color but, not golden, more like a hazy yellow which is appealing.

When it comes to taste the first thing noticed is the alcohol. It really packs a punch, it's difficult at first to make out the flavors because of it. The most prominant tastes are that of honey and malt.

I would recommend this beer.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance - No smoke, very little lacing, very creamy looking head, the ale itself was a hazy/musty golden colour.

Smell - Slighty sweet, Strongish and very slighty bitterish.

Taste - Bitter and Strong.

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated, light.

Drinkability - Ok consumption, nice ale, would have again.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Came with a tulip glass. While pouring I found the foam to rise extremely fast causing me to wonder if perhaps I was pouring it wrong. The head actually dissipated quickly and left a very nice lacing. I did notice that when I first poured the beer was very clear-looking especially for a high alcohol one. After pouring though, the color came to a very nice golden color.

The smell was very good. It gave a very good but not overwhelming hoppy smell. The smell revealed something vaguely underneath waiting to show itself.

Very surprisingly the taste waiting to come forth was something similar to a lightly sweet berry taste. Much of the alcohol though held the berry foretaste from coming through completely. There were also hints of other tastes like bananas and orange but very light.

My glass of Duvel really had a nice light feel to it. Not too much but definitely not a flaccid feel.

Honestly, this is probably not a beer I would buy a lot of at a bar (the price at Lassiter's Tavern in Atlanta for this was $7USD a bottle!). I would definitely buy this one occasionally from a good beer store. If someone had this at their house and offered it freely, I'd happily drink it though.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a straw like yellow with an orange hue. Big fluffy head.

Smells of yeast and grassy hops. Underneath there's hints of sugary sweetness and fruit notes.

Crisp, clean taste. Pear, apple, and some faint orange in there. The use of pilsner malts is apparent. A leafy hop taste balances it out.

Good carbonated mouthfeel, and a smooth sipper. Not bad at all.

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

330ml bottle. Duvel Oversized Tulip glass. Bright gold color, clear appearance. White, foamy & close crown, thick layer head & lasting lacing rings. Belgian yeast, pale malt, deep herbal, slight spiced & sugary aromas. Malty, crisp & hoppy upfront. Medium to full body. Moderate carbonation. Dense texture. Hints of ripe fruit, honey & citric zest in the middle. Well integrated high ABV. Well balanced malts & hops slightly tend to a bitter finish. Fruity aftertaste.

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

A: Crystal clear, slight yellow hue. Tons of fluffy, white head, decent retention. The lace really looks like lace!

S: Bready, pilsner malt. Clean hop aroma.

T: Bready, pilsner malt. Fruity yeast profile, with a touch of earthyness. It's a little cidery, though the alcohol is well hidden. Very well balanced... starting slightly sweet, with a crisp, slightly tart finish.

M: Moderate body, moderately high carbonation.

D: Should be approachable/enjoyable by all. Not a session brew though.

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

Wow this beer has the biggest head ever. Pours a very pale lager yellow with a foamy monster that looks like marshmellows expanding. The lacing is clumpy mounds. Smell is rather clean to the nose, slight yeast smell, fruit notes bring up the rear. The taste is a blast of yeast, I detect light malts and a mild hop bitterness. Very refreshing, a light bodied ale, very drinkable, and that is scary with this monster being 8.5%

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

If you wait for the head to disappear on this brew before drinking it you may want to take out a life insurance policy because you'll be waiting awhile. Hazy/cloudy straw yellow coloe. White as snow head. Great lacing.

Smell is sort of average to my nose. Fruity with a definite green apple characteristic. Certainly has that Belgain yeatiness to it as well as the smell of good old alcohol.

For such a strong beer it tasted quite nice. Big malts up front followed by a certain yeastiness. Hop prevalent in the middle and in the aftertaste. Alcohol warms up the palate and tongue in the finish along with a nice dryness. Oh, and as others have mention, watch out for the kick.

Considering how fizzy it was upon pouring, I thought it would be a lot more like champagne that beer. Thankfully it was not.

Certainly a well brewed beer and it lends to my ongoing joke about why the German's occupying Belgium probably got fat and lazy drinking this and others given the high ABV. Not a beer that everyone while enjoy, but a neat experience none-the-less.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

25.4oz bottle, Duvel tulip, best before 11/27/13.

Sunshine pilsener yellow is the color of this vaunted tipple. The head is pure and white as wind driven snow and certainly rivals the best I've ever seen for longevity and pure volume clinging to the glass.

Gentle grainy pale malt, alcohol perfume, slightly funky and minty yeast, and faint herbal hop.

Yeast and herbal hop pick up, I find things rather minty and sweeter than the nose betrayed, honeyed pale malt. A bitterness struggles to be crisp, but it's too sweet in my opinion. I even taste a bit of skunk, but I don't see how this could be light struck; put it down to my taste buds interpretation of the yeast and hops. Wait, band-aid?

At first it was refreshing, but the body feels increasingly heavy as the carbonation fades too quickly.

This falls short for me. BSPA is a style I've been liking more and more lately, but this gold standard falls short for me. It looks amazing though.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Purchased at the LCBO for $3.65/330ml bottle. Served at 8deg C in a challis.

A- Opened with a mighty pop and a TON of head.

S- Bready yeasty yummy good blend.

T- Way overpowered by the carbonation. WAY too young to drink now.

M- Way too carbonated. Hints of yeast and mild malts are not even close to being combined yet.

O- Not bad but needs time for sure in the cellar. Will revise my rating in a couple of years.

Food Pairing

This very young effort pairs well with... Sushi. Like pizza, sushi is adaptable and ready for your own touches.... I tried spicy tuna homemade rolls.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

Watch out when you pour this baby...there is even a warning on the bottle. The head explodes into something similar to what the picture shows above. Very foamy and long lasting. I like a small creamy head and this just was a little too much, so the next few I poured with great care and very little head was produced.

A very vibrant golden color reminicent of...believe it or not...Schlitz. The smell and flavor are far from the Schlitz though. Fruity with a small touch of spice. Reminds me of apple juice. The beer goes down very smooth. Some say you can't tell that there is an alcohol content above 8% but I can taste it. The taste isn't biting like the taste you find with high gravity malt liquors though...more of an acidic apple juice flavor without the acid bite if that makes much sense?

I was expecting great things with this beer, but I didn't quite receive them. It is just a very good easy drinking beer, but not outstanding. Very well ballanced I might add too. I enjoyed it, but for the price, I wouldn't buy it again. Watch the alcohol content, it will sneek up on you.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

I like the Duvel, but I don't love it. The appearance is excellent, gold and clean, and it pours nicely.

The alcohol is less than apparent, with a yeasty almost skunked - bad batch? - nose. Taste is sweet at the start, a bit more bitter towards the back, overall pleasant. Still, there wasn't anything about this beer that really hooked; it's good across the board, but great in few. At least by my taste.

Looking for a clean drinking Belgian Pale with some octane? Go for it. Just keep your expectations reasonable.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

I poured unhurriedly as the 11.2 oz. bottle suggests, and was rewarded with a beautiful clear straw colored body topped with a rich foamy white head.

Yeast and malt on the nose, lovely.

Mostly yeast on the tongue as well, with maybe a light sour apple in the background.

Crisp and bubbly, it finishes clean.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

As I continue to try more Belgian Ales, I finally broke down and bought this one. Poured into a snifter from a 11.2 oz. bottle, which took almost 10 minutes to pour, due to the huge head it created. The beer poured a clear almost white color, settling to a light gold in the glass. Huge thick creamy white head, that very slowly dissipated, with thick spots of lace on the glass. The aroma is slightly fruity. The flavor is not as complex as expected, but still interesting. Fruity flavor, I'm assuming from the yeast, along with a slight hop presence. Light mouthfeel, along with a not-so-smooth finish. The beer had a slight hop-harshness at the end, but still this is a very drinkable Belgian. I can see why it is so popular. Overall, this fullfilled my expectations, and I wouldnt mind having this again very soon.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Crystal clear yellow with big white head. Carbonation is incredibly low.
S: Yeasty with some critus, maybe lemon, notes on the background.
T: The citrus on the smell can be tasted as well but there's some spiciness too.
M: Light but with a heavy end to it.
O: I've had a lot of Duvels before this one and I do think they were better than this one. I'm afraid this Duvel didn't get very well with the cellar.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

This is my second beer that I'm having in honor of fellow BA and Mexico's Beerfly guide, Pepeton. It was his birthday last week. I first had Stone's Double Bastard for his birthday, but I had to cut out most of his birthday greetings from my review because it was too long. Now I'm going to match his Duvel review.

I got the little 330ml/11.2 oz. crazy looking bottle. It's a very unique bottle. I wouldn't even know what to call the shape of the bottle. It has a big bottom and then goes into 2 humps that connects to the small straight neck of the bottle. Can I call it a Penguin bottle? You have to see the bottle for yourself. If you lived in a beer barn all of your life, then you wouldn't know that Duvel is Flemish for Devil. It just has a plain simple front label with the word "Duvel" in big red letters and the Duvel coat of arms above it. No big 12 foot red devil ruling over the 12th level of hell with a pitchfork in hand, just a simple plain white label. The back white label has pouring instructions, information about the beer, US Government warning, and a small black box in the bottom left hand corner that has a best before date and a number that has to meaning to the consumer below that. Mine was best before May 2009.

Appearance: I didn't have the Duvel glass they have pictured on their website or label, so the closest glass I had to that was a Corsendonk Christmas Ale goblet. Worked out just fine. The beer was a hazy golden light lemon yellow or you can say it was a healthy urine yellow. Either way is fine. It had one of the best head of foam that I've seen on a beer. As soon as you pour it, this big fluffy white cloud of foam just rises up so fast that you have to stop pouring half way or it will just overflow the glass. It had excellent retention that left behind 2 tons of white foamy rings and white lace. Sometimes there is more white lace around your glass then beer in your glass. Like the bottle, the head of foam rising up is another thing you need to see for yourself to appreciate from this beer.

Smell: It had an aroma of just cloves, pepper, a hint of yeast, splash of alcohol, and some Belgian fruits in the background. It was more peppery than anything else. Still good, just a bit too peppery.

Taste: It tasted like the Devil himself was dancing on my tongue while wearing his red hot clogs! It really didn't taste like that, but I just had to put it down. It tasted like they really subdued the devil inside this beer. He tried to retaliate at the end, but no problem, they got him a second time. What I'm trying to say is that this beer had strong peppery hops with it's alcohol friend in the beginning, but as soon as it emerged, it was subdued by cloves, yeast, a pinch of toasted malts, and some Belgian fruits. The peppery hops/alcohol tried to come out again, but to no avail. It was already too weak from being conquered by the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: I would have to say that it's in the medium bodied range with an aftertaste of pepper, a smidge of your common bitter hops, and a slight taste of candy sugar in the background.

Drinkability: The back label told me to enjoy this perfection of a beer. Is this beer perfection? Not really. Is it good? Yes! Would I buy it again? Yes, because of the cool funky bottle and to see the massive head of foam just rise up from out of nowhere.

Happy Birthday Pepeton! I Hope you enjoyed my 2 reviews that I had in honor of your birthday! If you're reading this, please send him a birthday beermail. He will appreciate it very much.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

Best before 03/2014. Poured into oversized tulip glass.

A - Giant pillowy white rocky head. Hazy golden with many CO2 bubbles releasing from solution.

S - Spicy and wonderful fruity yeast esters are exceedingly complex. Lemony hops. Touch of soft alcohol. Delicate toasty malt otherwise no other malt smells coming through. A little bit of tartness. No Brett characteristics.

T - Green apple skin, candy sugar doesn't leave a syrupy sweet cloying flavor. Alcohol shines through, could mellow with some aging.

M - Light to medium bodied. Moderate to high carbonation makes for a crisp finish. Dry finish with alcohol warming but not as much as the 8.5% would believe you to think.

O - My Second Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Very nice yeast characteristics. Not hop forward like APA, really its own beast. Well enjoyed

3.81/5  rDev -11%

Review Number 50!!! A little milestone for me. :)
A= amazing! It's a nice golden color that's completely clear when you look through the glass. The head is not to be messed with. Pour it right the first time or you will have to deal with too much or too little head the whole way through because this one lasts all the way. Its clear white like snow and chunky too Big bubbles that kinda look like soap bubbles. Awesome lacing on the glass as well.
S= I picked up booze in the beginning followed by a very tart apple smell to it with some citrus hops deep in there.
T= A little boozy when it's cold but as it warms up a little the apple tartness takes over nicely with some hoppy bitterness to it as well and last is a citrus bite
M= Light smooth and clean all the way. No stickiness or anything here.
D= decent. For some reason I just don't think i enjoyed the taste of this one as much as everyone else so that would defer me a little bit. Also the price is very high so I prolly couldn't afford to drink to many and last but not least the booze would take me down quickly.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV