1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,777 | Reviews: 2,550 | Show All Ratings:
Mangus

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this fine ale with dinner tonight: pork chops, sweet potatos, sauerkraut, and apples.

Appearance- frothy white head that reared up as I poured ( I know the bottle says "pour slowly", I didn't) and settled down to a thin foamy hat. Color is a golden-piss-yellow.

Smell - fruity, slight hoppiness, citrusy, and a bit skunky that reminds me of Heineken and Grolsch.

Taste - smooth, fruity at the front with a slight hop bitterness at the back end. Slight effervescent mouthfeel - tiny bubbles dancing and dying in my mouth. Has a mild bitter aftertaste that I'm not too thrilled about.

Nice beer no doubt, however, with the plethora of choices we have, I won't be scrambling for this.

01-03-2004 01:20:44 | More by Mangus
williamherbert

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Look is a bright straw-yellow color. Massive puffy head. Lots of tiny bubbles. Transparently clear. Looks frosty. Ice cream float head. Frosty lace.

Spicy Belgian ale semll mixed with a lagery aroma. Golden ale definitely present. Slightly sweet.

Sour and spicy taste like a typical Belgian Ale. Tastes like a sweet lager but with sour spices. The prototypical Belgian Ale.

Feels fizzy and sour. Bubbly. Leaves a sour film. Turns creamy at the end. A bit dry like white wine. It's a good, spicy drink. Bubbly and fizzy. Sour and pretty good.

01-15-2008 01:52:34 | More by williamherbert
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured in to a Duvel tulip ... of course.

A - Pale yellow in colour with a lot of thick, bubbly white head and also a lot of visible carbonation.

S - Some light bitter hops up front with bready malts. Typical nose for a Beldian Pale Ale.

T - Some bitter hops up front and sweet bready malts: well balanced. An ever-so-slight spice taste with some bitterness in the finish.

M - Light body, heavily carbonated.

D - A solid beer. I am happy that I bought this but would not seek it out in the future.

06-11-2010 21:49:17 | More by TheSevenDuffs
jgurley

3.55/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aggressive pour yields a massive white head with beautiful lace. Opaque luminous gold color. Smell is slightly vinous, malty, yeasty. Taste is sour white grape, booze, a little hop bitterness. Refreshing medium mouthfeel. A little bubbly. Sticky bitter finish.

07-08-2011 22:36:42 | More by jgurley
AtrumAnimus

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

The Duvel is probably my least favorite beer from this fine Belgian brewery. The hoppiness is excellent but he finish is rough. It is also lacking in body. I prefer a more rich beer like the meredsous 10 or 8. This is still drinkable but I won't be stocking it in my fridge on a regular basis.

12-27-2002 11:54:02 | More by AtrumAnimus
NJpadreFan

Duvel

Re-reviewed 12-17-08
(Originally reviewed 11-14-03)

A- Bright cloudy orange with a thick billowy head. Good chunky lacing down the glass.
S- Sweet light lemon with hints of toasted grains and hay/straw.
T- Tart lemon and orange rind with a mild hay/straw grain malt.
M- Slightly tart with a citric bite. Sugary sweet with a sour dry finish.

Overall- Worthy of a pint or 2. Nothing spectacular here.

(I re-reviewed this beer so any fellow BA'ers won't question my "connoisseur" status.)
:) sarcasm.

11-14-2003 22:11:34 | More by NJpadreFan
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a pale straw yellow with a mountainous fluffy white head. Chunks of lace left in it’s wake.
Aroma is kind of grainy, kind of yeasty.
Flavor is kind of lemony, kind of apple, sweet/tart,
A crisp refreshing brew. The alcohol kind of sneaks up on you, the 8.5 isn’t real noticed until you about finish the bottle.

10-02-2004 08:28:07 | More by Padron4KM
OatherS

Kansas

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

The short stubby bottle has a white label with a nice crested bottle cap.

Appearance: Poured just a tad too quickly and the head is MASSIVE. Effervescent, champagne like quality. The head is very slow to fade. Laces nicely. Very transparent golden color. Awesome.

Smell: Not very strong aroma. Somewhat of a fruity odor, with a slight alcohol smell as well.

Taste: Very nice smooth almost liquor type flavor. The strong alcohol percentange taste is there but it is not over powering.

Mouthfeel: Not quite as bubbly as I thought from the head and bubbly appearance. Nice and smooth.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipping beer, drink this one slowly.

06-13-2005 01:29:02 | More by OatherS
pirates

South Africa

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

A - pours a yellow color with a good head that last all the way.

S - Spicy and somewhat citrus.

T - This is where the citrus characteristics of this beer comes through. Tastes of orange/lemon rind. A very rich flavor of citrus that lingers.

M - Very high carbonation. A tad too fizzy for my liking.

D - Carbonation makes this beer difficult to consume too many.

I have mixed feelings about this beer. This beer did not blow me away however, credit must be given where due. This is an exceptionally well constructed and balanced beer, but just not to my liking.

02-10-2008 18:59:10 | More by pirates
elgiacomo

Georgia

Dec 28, 2009

330ml bottle poured into Duvel glass. Yellow in color with a huge, frothy, rocky white head that seems to last forever. All sorts of sticky lacing, a very attractive beer.

Aroma is belgian yeast, and fruity, pears, green apples, some banana, some spice.

Flavor is fruity and yeasty with some spice, smooth going down, somewhat lively carbonation.

Not my favorite style, but still a very nice beer.

01-11-2010 05:18:40 | More by elgiacomo
phideltashaggy

Tennessee

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A-Amber in color. The head and lacing was dense and slightly off-white.

S-For lack of a better word, "acidic." Not terribly strong, but kinda weird,but not necessarily in a bad way.

T-Easily the spiciest beer I've ever tasted.

MF-The spice with the carbonation tingled the tongue a little, with a slight alcohol finish that lets you know that this is a high-gravity beer.

D-Fairly drinkable. By no means hard to drink, but I don't see myself drinking multiple in a row.

Overall-An interesting beer that I see myself drinking again. Highly recommended, if for no other reason than to try something different.

07-30-2010 00:40:05 | More by phideltashaggy
divineaudio

bomber into a tulip

a - pours a light hazy yellow with a big three finger, fluffy white head. retention is excellent - head falls to a thin cap and stays all the way to the bottom of the glass. also leaves tons of sticky alce.

s - slightly toasty and grassy. lots of pungency present from the saaz hops which is not really a good thing to my nose.

t - lightly toasted bread balanced by light hop bitterness and lots of spicy notes.

m - medium bodied and chewy. high co2 content.

o - pretty good but not great. definitely not a session beer at 8.5%. certainly not deserving of it's reputation.

08-02-2011 06:24:30 | More by divineaudio
RussBecker1

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.

A-Just as advertised. A Belgian golden ale with a lot of carbonation and a thick white head. The body is not much to behold however as it pours a clear fizzy yellow. Not that I was expecting a deep complex look, but the golden ale is what it is and nothing more.

S-Belgian yeasts are very apparent which are inherently complex. A touch of sweetness, mainly a light honey, cuts between the harsher animalistic undertones. Aside from the yeast, the malts are very apparent, but they are neither overpowering nor all that complimentary.

M-Much creamier than I would have thought. Creates a nice coating that makes the beer feel much denser and more complex than perhaps it really is.

T-Classically Belgian with malts and yeast cascading over one another. They blend nicely, but the flavors rush off the palate too quickly for my taste as the aftertaste is rather bland and mysteriously non existent.

O- Admittedly, Duvel was good but it did not sit as well with my palate than clearly it has with the majority of other drinkers. It was fine, but perhaps a good number of the complexities were lost on my palate leaving me disappointed overall.

09-17-2012 13:41:27 | More by RussBecker1
blatantdream

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light yellow with a fluffy white head. Retention is high with apparent bold lacing.

Aroma of soft malts, banana esters, perfumy spices.

Spiced estery flavors with a golden malt flavor and yeasty top notes on the tongue. Medium bitterness that carries a slight bite.

The light body is a bit drying with a smooth tongue-feel but the high carbonation tends to lift those flavors off the tongue.

Overall golden pale ale that is trying to be somewhat complex but still maintains the style in a straight forward manner.

09-21-2012 03:03:00 | More by blatantdream
Rifugium

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Where and when I first had this is lost forever in time. My last tasting was on tap at the Irish Pol, Philly, PA.

Straw yellow pour, clear and pale, a finger or two of foamy white head that recedes to a thin layer of bubbles; decent lacing. Pale malts in the nose, fruit esters, yeast, leafy hops. Similar taste, brready malts, Belgian yeast, apples, pears, light citrus twinge, grassy, leafy, bitter and can lean towards metallic. Medium body, medium carbonation, somewhat drying, and a boozy kick. Pretty standard fare here, often seen served in awkwardly large signature glasses with terrible artwork.

11-01-2012 05:41:45 | More by Rifugium
ELS

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I first had a Duvel a few years ago because I heard it was considered one of the "must try" beers. I tried it and found it mediocre on all levels. I figured I must be missing something if many beer experts including Michael Jackson consider this one of their favorite beers. I like many Belgian Ales and thought maybe my palette just wasn't developed enough to appreciate the subtle nuisances of this beer. Three years and over a thousand beers later I now appreciate a wide spectrum of styles and my palette has definitely advanced. Duvel however hasn't changed for me. I find that the high carbonation deters from my enjoyment, the high alcohol content which I usually find as a plus takes away from the taste. The appearance and mouthfeel are nothing special. Sometimes I feel that some beers get rated high because of the "buzz" over it. For example, I was at Russian River six weeks ago and had a Pliny the Elder. Good IPA not great. I've had many IPAs that are better! Again, all about the hype!

04-07-2014 23:28:32 | More by ELS
granger10

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

I'm sorry, I know this is supposed to be a great beer but I just did not care for it too much. The head on the pour was too much for me to handle, out of control. At each taste it felt like the beer was turning to foam in my mouth. Because of that mouthfeel dropped. The taste was of a complex fruit sweetness that I did enjoy but nothing special. The balance was not there and the finish seemed too yeasty to me. Give me a Maudite any day over this.

07-05-2003 05:19:15 | More by granger10
Globetrotter

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Short, squat brown 33cl bottle with a wavy neck and a white label with the necessary red lettering. Best before 3/2006, I opened it (too early?) on 11/17/03.

Pours a cloudy yellow under a huge and billowing white head that takes its sweet time to settle. Nice lace, but the liquid is just too pale for my taste. The smell is pleasant - pepper and spice. The mouth is way too carbonated and heavy with sweetness. The bubbles actually hurt the tongue and palate. I'll concede that there is a lot of complex tastes here, but none of them is really what I want in a beer - standard francophone sweetness, a bit of pepper and clove, very little in the way of malt, and practically no hops. Oh, wait, there is a bit of a hoppy bite in the aftertaste, but it is short-lived. I'll concede that this is a quality beer, but it sure isn't my cup of tea - or chalice of beer, for that matter.

11-17-2003 19:24:22 | More by Globetrotter
MCDuhamel

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured at fridge temperature into a Unibroue branded tulip glass.

A: A pale straw, very clear beer with high carbonation, but with some sediment appearing after the slow pour. I say SLOW pour because that is the only way to pour this beer, which forms an absolutely enormous, white head even with a very gentle pour and even when chilled down. The head actually continues to expand for a few moments after pouring is complete, and then slowly collapses into a large-bubbled foam similar to the cap on an over-frothed latte. Eventually, the head dissipates to a loose bead on the top of the beer. Surprisingly, lacing is only moderate. A beautiful beer to look at.

S: Aroma of noble hops, some spicy phenolic notes, and yeast. A very light catty smell.

T: This tastes almost like an "imperial" Pilsner and less like a Belgian strong golden. Crisp, clean malt supported by continental style hops. Some lemon, citrus flavors in the middle of the toungue. There is a spicy note that gives it some "Belgian ale" quality. Again, a very slight catty note that I sometimes detect in Pilsners. There is a slightly astringent quality to the finish.

M: Light, almost spritzy mouthfeel.

D: Quaffable, despite its high alcohol content.

Overall: I find this a little too much like a lager and less like an ale for my taste. It is well executed, but not as complex as I would expect a Belgian ale to be. A quite good beer, to be sure, and one I will certainly drink again, but shy of outstanding.

04-13-2007 21:37:47 | More by MCDuhamel
PhiloPsych

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Almost clear as it poured from the bottle with tons of carbonation and a head that took up half the glass--I was pouring from a stubby 330 ml bottle and couldn't fit it all into a pint glass the head was so thick. The color was golden, very pale, and clear in the glass. The smell was sweet and alcoholic, it reminded me of La Fin du Monde, though the flavor was not as strong. Taste was sweet, light, somewhat yeasty, and alcoholic. All very mild; nothing overpowering. Crisp, clean mouthfeel. I suppose this is a good beer, but it doesn't seem like anything special to me.

05-27-2007 23:28:42 | More by PhiloPsych
FACEMEAT

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from a 12oz. glass into snifter.

A: I was not at all impressed with the pale straw color, but the head was one of the most substantial and beautiful I've seen. Gorgeous lacing left on the glass.

S: Alcohol and a sweet wheatiness predominate.

T: Dried apricot and earthy wheat were the first flavors I noticed. Upon warming, the flavors intensified and I noticed a spicy pepper finish as i drew near the end of the glass. One thing I was slightly put off by was the strength of the alcohol flavor throughout. Normally, I don't mind an astringent alcohol bite, but I felt it interfered with this beer's flavors.

M: The color suggests a thin, watery mouthfeel, but Duvel is anything but.

D: Aside from the alcohol overtones, this is a delicious brew.

11-22-2008 03:06:42 | More by FACEMEAT
madvoice

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured a golden straw colour with a thick foamy head that lasted for what seemed like forever. Smelled very sweet, fruity and hoppy. Has very banana like flavours but becomes a bit bitter towards the end. I expected more from this. Mouthfeel was light and low on the fizz. Something I could enjoy drinking in the right mindset. Just a shame it didn't impress me much as I thought it woud.

02-06-2009 12:34:54 | More by madvoice
NewGeneric

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Finally giving this one a proper review.
Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A: Wow! Just a mountain of foam on top of a beautiful, mostly clear, golden beer. Kinda soapy looking, with big chunks of thick foam hanging all over the sides of the glass as it slowly dissipates. Leaves just a thin layer of head sitting on top. Very pretty.

S: Spicy, fruity, floral hops up front. Hints of citrus and other spices come through as well, but that seems to be about all I get.

T: Tastes very similar to the smell. Some aromatic, biscuity malts make their way to the surface. I'd like a bigger malt presence, but it just seems to be covered up by the hops and yeast.

M: Probably the best part of Duvel. Almost perfect. There's really good bitter properties, nice slightly oily residue. Even so, it leaves me just a touch dry afterward. Only fault I can find here.

D: As a starter, I'm not that impressed, but once I've had one, I could probably easily kick back a few more. Goes down real smooth.

03-06-2010 00:33:38 | More by NewGeneric
Chizoad

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle poured into pint glasses. Crazy head which eventually faded leaving a mesa in the middle of the glass and lacing all over the glass surface. Beer was pale golden with vague haze.

Fairly decent smell, but mostly hops/malt and something like cloves? I have no idea really. Interesting but not outstanding.

Tasted much as it smelled. A mild bitterness that seemed tastier at first than it did later. Maybe it's the style that I don't have a great appreciation for. I haven't had many of these at all.

Medium body, tending towards thinness. Easy drinker.

05-23-2010 16:22:20 | More by Chizoad
vandemonian

Maryland

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Duvel is a spicy, yeasty Belgian strong pale ale with noticeable alcohol. It has too much spice and not enough... anything else.

A: Straw/yellow colour and a good-sized head that fades to very good lacing. 4.5

S: Spicy yeast smell. Not that great. 3

T: Taste is spicy with hints of yeast. The aftertaste is spicy and bitter with some noticeable alcohol. 3.5

M: Reasonably foamy. 4