Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,664 | Hads: 7,262
3.76/5  rDev -12.4%

For all of the A+ and A ratings this one seemed a little overhyped to me after my tasting. The head and continuous carbonation truly was amazing. Almost too amazing as I poured slowly into a tilted pint glass, but had to wait after 6 oz poured as the head was already 3 to 4 fingers thick and near the top of the glass. The appearance was slightly murky somewhere between a pilsner and a wheat. The flavor was good, not great, and the high alcohol content was well disguised. For the high price tag, I was expecting a little more spectacular beer, but its still a decent beer worth a sampling. It is very drinkable and if I weren't such a lightweight, I could probably have a 2nd or 3rd..however 1 is enough for me to feel it. (726 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass ( should probably get a tulip shaped glass to truly appreciate the complexity's of this beer ).

This is my first Duvel and have never had a beer quite like it.

Even though I gently poured it into my tilted glass the foam head quickly filled my pilsner glass 2/3 full of effervescent fluffy white foam, which was very slow to dissipate.

Duvel is medium to light golden color with lots of tiny bubbles that don't quit.

Smell is of hay,yeast, and fruit.

Taste is of hay, yeast, slight fruitiness, pepper and malt with a touch of bitter. I can taste the alcohol ( not to mention feel it ) but not so much that it is unpleasant.

Duvel kind of reminds me of drinking champagne with all the bubbles and the higher alcohol content but is most definitely beer with a unique taste that is hard to pin down. I think I will have to keep sampling these from time to time to get a better feel for them.

I bought a 4 pack of these at Corral liquor in Granite City IL for 7.99

This is my first post on a beer forum, and I'm not hip to all the Lingo, but I do enjoy Beer and trying new things and have been using this site to pick new beers to try, so hopefully I will eventually get better at my evaluations. Cheers Bigdaddy (1,282 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottle poured into a recently purchased Duvel glass. The appearance is a dull golden with a never-ending cascade of tiny bubbles heading towards a gigantic white frothy head. The head will lessen but stick around and lace the glass with white frothy bubbles. The smell is light and spicy with a hint of alcohol. The taste is nice smooth, crisp and carbonated. You hardly notice the alcohol, but it warms the body. Head still existent throughout. A drinkable beer indeed. (470 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle pours to my Tremens tulip light clear gold with a big fluffy white head. Aroma of yeast funk, hay, hops, and light sugar. Flavor is sweet dry and effervescent hay and honey. Light mouthfeel and very easy drinking. While I like others like Piraat a bit better than this one, it is an excellent choice and could be enjoyed in any occasion or weather. (355 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -12.4%

Maybe I don't get this style.

Appearance is exceptional. I have never poured a bottle-conditioned brew that is so clear. A lot of carbonation that bubbles up into a head that is tall, but delicate, almost meringue-like.

The smell is fresh and mildly hoppy, with a hint of vegetal character that is stronger in the taste. Maybe it is the nature of the hops, maybe its the alcohol, but it seems a bit off.

The carbonation and head give this an exceptional mouthfeel.

I think that I will try to retaste this one when I work my way through what the beer elves brought me. (573 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Stubby little bottle, says it is "bottle conditioned"

Large frothy and foamy head. Looks like a meringue. Serious sheets of lace, the chalice was coated all the way to the bottom. Cloudy (yeast), pale light golden in color, you could confuse it with a lager, but acts like champagne with larger bubbles. Looks over-carbonated.

Smells of yeast & faint alcohol, maybe subtle hint of over-ripe bananas.

Taste of clean, fresh yeast, some hops and bitterness on the finish, some bananas. Very crisp, makes you want more. Some taste of alcohol.

Nice, full body. It feels odd to feel the creaminess with the bitterness. (616 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Light yellow color with one finger head with minimal lacing. Some cloudiness.
S: Citrus, straw, and wheat.
T: the alcohol content of 8.5% is well hidden. Pretty good flavor with hints of wheat and citrus.
M: interesting trick which can extract the alcohol flavor, (why would you want to) is to smack your tongue off the roof of your mouth a few times. Suddenly, you can taste the alcohol.
O: Mediocre. (408 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

330ml bottle ($3.82) from Premier in Halifax. Aroma has pleasant hints of citrus hops. Pours an almost clear pale golden colour, with white head. Has a light sweet taste. Body is medium, oily texture, with lively carbonation. I remember drinking a darker Duvel a few years ago, so it was a bit disappointing to see that this one is so pale. Still a great brew. (360 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

Reviewed from notes taken after drinking Duvel many times in Belgium; the first time I sampled this was in a pub at the Sablon in Brussels.

A: Lovely radiant gold with miles of thick, foamy head at first pour.

S: Yeasty, citrusy, fresh... like a field of freshly-cut hay.

T: Yeasts hit hard with strong notes of tulips, lemons, and hay. Pepper and other spices pique the tongue with a tingle and finishes slightly dry with more yeast. Alcohol flavor is a suggestion here.

M: Crispy, clean, and slightly effervescent on the palate.

D: Of course it's exceedingly drinkable. This is, for me, the quintessential Belgian Blonde. (629 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a clear straw gold with a nice dissipating head and moderate lacing. Smells a little skunky with some malt and spice. Flavors are a bit complex and blend pretty well, definitely a bitter aftertaste. Pretty light mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This beer is much more impressive when considering the 8.5% abv. Overall a solid beer, and it's always a plus that you can find it at any local convenient store if your are in Belgium.. but if I'm there I'm drinking something else. (486 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Haze golden, white head with good retention. Aroma: fruity, spicy, earthy and maltiness. In the taste fruity, and earthy. More bitter than others bgsa, really good beer, doesn't have the same equilibrium than others of the same style, but a really nice experience (263 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

A-Pours a translucent straw with an abundant amount of foamy white head, which after settling gives way to considerable lacing.

S-yeast, malt, and wheat are present up front, followed by some very mild floral/herbal notes...somewhat underwhelming.

T-Mild and dry peppery spice mixes with the yeasty herbal characters present in the aroma, and a subtle hint of lemon.

M-In spite of the intense carbonation this ale has a very smooth feel. Quite refreshing.

O-A very drinkable and pleasant, if overrated ale. Perhaps what makes this a winner is its subtlety.

salud! (570 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a fizzy straw color into a goblet, with a rough head about a half finger in width, and lots of carb action that make this entertaining to look at. Aroma is of orange, banana bread, yeasty breadiness, orange, and a little bit of plum. Mouthfeel is smooth, crisp, with abundant carbonation slicing through. Taste is tart, orangy with yeast and a slight hint of banana in the middle, fades to some smooth citrus hop bitterness at the end. Overall, a unique brew. (465 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

this is my first duvel ever. ommegang chalice. says best before 04 2011.

a- looks heavily carbonated. bubbly white head on top of a semi-opaque gold liquid. the bubbles are extremely active. As it slows down the head gets smoother, creamier.

s- tart citrus of lemon, orange zest, a little banana sweetness. bready malts. overhanging slight smell of an over light-exposed beer, but it could be my imagination.

t- banana up front with a strong lemon juice sourness. bready in the middle and through the finish with a little fruit sweetness. Nothing incredibly complex here, but not bad either. The sourness comes on a bit too strong for me.

m- creamy, but with near champange like levels of carbonation. this is fairly pleasing.

d- this beer is just a tad bit too tart for my liking. some of what it's got is good, but I can't really get all that into it. maybe just not my thing. It's not bad, just not what I'd usually choose to drink. (940 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I served a 750 of this in the early goings of Christmas Eve dinner alongside a Fantome de Noel. What a forceful beer! I only worked the cork a little bit and it came flying out. I didn't hear it land, and I still don't know where it went.

Appearance: Very very very light in color, but I wouldn't say that is bad. It was a little too clear for my liking though. Most people were gravitating toward this just because of the lighter color. The head was soft and ultra-white. I almost thought I poured a glass of champagne.

Smell: Nothing surpising. There was mainly a midrange fruity smell with a bit of a sharp edge.

Taste: Nice. Not utterly spectacular but definitely good. I was expecting more of something, but I don't know what. The flavors seemed toned down in a way. My brother said it tasted like a white, but I don't agree with that.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly and a little tangy.

Drinkability: Yes.

Some people might string me up and burn me but I think of this as the fizzy yellow stuff of premium beers. Keep in mind that's not a knock. (1,055 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

poured a cloudy gold color with a huge white head, its cloudy head doesn't move at all. smell is alot like champagne, or a sparkling white wine, carbonation is everywhere and i assume thats what i'm smelling. taste is good, but not fantastic like i've read. maybe since i dont have a real duvel glass, i've heard that it helps. it has a sweety fruity taste to it, and some distinct yeast flavors, its a good beer, but i wouldn't call it great. maybe i got a bad apple (467 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

Light, clear, yellow pour with a massive, rocky, white head. The aroma is floral, funky, and yeasty with some light citrus, apple, fresh bread dough, and faint candi sugar. The classic Belgian esters and very subtle in the nose also. The flavor is very herbal, floral and citrusy upfront with some light fresh bread and soft banana/clove esters rounding out the middle. The finish is lightly yeasty with just a touch of sweet candi sugar to balance it all. The body is very light, and refreshing with lots of tingly carbonation. (528 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.8%

This beer poured a clear light yellow with a thick creamy head. It is highly carbonated and you can see the carbonation bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass (this beer was poured in a Duvel glass and the bubbles emanated from the bottom center of the glass). It has very nice lacing. It has a sour/sweet smell. The taste is hoppy and cereal, with a bit of sourness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a heavy dose of noticeable carbonation which is brite in the mouth. This is a delicious beer that is well balanced and would be quite drinkable on a hot day; (572 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.8%

(330 ml bottle, white label, "best before 09 2007")

Ah... this is my first "evil" beer. Duvel may be a mass produced beer, but this beer is still proof that a big brewery can still be considered a "craft" brewery. This beer might not be everyone's cup of tea, and I myself probably wouldn't make this beer a regular habit, but this is definitely a must try for anyone who considers themselves a serious beer drinker.

Duvel pours a deceptive gold color, to which the uninitiated might confuse it with a standard fizzy yellow beer. When poured in the Duvel glass, the head is gargantuan, and a flurry of bubbles are visible within the golden liquid. The foam retains extremely well and leaves some nice sticky lace. The aroma had some light sweetness, spiciness, and yeastiness to it. As it warmed, the smell become increasingly more spicy. The bubbly mouthfeel hits the tongue and "stings" it slightly, and combined with the alcoholic warmth this beer feels a bit "hot." The flavor has some light sweetness and fruitiness, but the main flavor includes a huge spicy and peppery flavor. The alcohol does show up a bit in the flavor as well. The overall flavor combined with the hops make the finish drying and bitter. In the aftertaste, the dryness/bitterness linger on with a green apple-like fruitiness accompanying it. Further on (about 5 minutes later), a herbal/tea like aftertaste arrived. I was tasting this beer well after I finished off the glass. The beer concludes with a nice warming sensation.

This is a beautiful looking brew with a unique taste that is surprisingly easy to drink. I didn't know what to think of it at first, but the taste grew on me (I would say it improved as the beer grew warmer). A classic. (1,732 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.8%

A- whitish, yellow body with champagne like carbonation. a solid two fingers of head that doesn't seem to be fading.

S- I want to say european fuggle hops? Not a whole lot giving me an indication what I'm in for.

T- It's nice. It sure doesn't taste like 8.5%. It's kind of sour, but in an interesting way. Very balanced though.

M- It's champagne. There's very little left to the imagination.

O- It's good. It's historical. It's my first one of it's kind. It will be one of those beers I have to go back to after trying more examples of the style. I wonder if the temperature was held correctly during conditioning or if the priming sugar was off because I did not expect it to be this spritzy. I have a hard time imagining I got a bad bottle of Duvel though. (763 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.8%

Cloudy yellow color with a mammoth and lasting head. Very minimal lacing. Sweet, bready aroma. Very tingly on the tongue, and the flavor was not overly complex. I tasted citrus (lemon mainly), vanilla, a little alcohol, and some yeast. Very smooth finish makes this beer quite drinkable. Very good Belgian. (306 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

This is an exceptional beer. It has a nice pale golden hue, that has a seductive glow when put to a light. Duvel has a very nice head, that is just as impressive as its color. The head doesn't stay too long, or too short. Nice lacing occurs, and leaves behind a spiraling foam covered glass edges. A taste of hops, strong flavor, with notes of citrus. The citrus element helps to create a smooth drink, with a crisp and refreshing finish, that lingers a grateful amount of flavor. Carbonated just right, which adds to its crisp taste, without taking away from the overall beer. This beer, has a good amount of AVB, so this really does hit you if you let it it. Also, this is a great beer to have in a Belgian Tulip glass, or in a bottle, but preferably from a glass. Duvel is also great on tap, or course, what beer isn't good on tap. I can go on, this beer was excellent. I recommend this beer, for both a beer selection/collection or to impress your friends. (960 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Having had Belgian style ale in the past, figured the time was right to go O.G. with it. Pours a highly translucent white-yellow w/ the weirdest head I've ever seen (looks like it floats IN the beer after pulling from the glass). Get an unexpected whiff that reminds me of lemon (and little else) before the first swig.

Kinda sweet, despite the smell. Barely any carbonation, very little malt in the background, don't taste the alcohol at all. Very subtle.

To me it's a ridiculously deceptive chillout brew: pop open the stubby size bottles and next thing you know you've lost count. While it definitely does the job, I expected more of an edge. (648 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Duvel was a pretty good beer.

Poured a deep amber, with a large foam head. The foam was good as it trapped some of the bitterness of the beer.

The beer tasted had a good hop bitterness followed by a spicy middle with a crisp malt finish.

Was a little over carbonated, but not too much. Very good beer over all. Definitely one to drink cold on a hot summers day. (370 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Am I missing something? Everyone thinks this beer is so great, but, I don't get it. There's nothing I would fault this beer for, but there's really nothing particularly notable about it, either. I mean it's a solid beer, but I find myself having nothing to say about. No impulse to exclaim or anything when I drink it. There's nothing even remotely surprising about it. I guess it's pretty easy to drink given its high alcohol content, but really its pretty standard. As I said, I'm not faulting this beer, but I just don't understand how it got an A overall, and an A+ from the brothers. Again, I'm willing to accept the possibility that I'm missing something. (661 characters)

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV