Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,677 | Hads: 7,330
3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

this is my first duvel ever. ommegang chalice. says best before 04 2011.

a- looks heavily carbonated. bubbly white head on top of a semi-opaque gold liquid. the bubbles are extremely active. As it slows down the head gets smoother, creamier.

s- tart citrus of lemon, orange zest, a little banana sweetness. bready malts. overhanging slight smell of an over light-exposed beer, but it could be my imagination.

t- banana up front with a strong lemon juice sourness. bready in the middle and through the finish with a little fruit sweetness. Nothing incredibly complex here, but not bad either. The sourness comes on a bit too strong for me.

m- creamy, but with near champange like levels of carbonation. this is fairly pleasing.

d- this beer is just a tad bit too tart for my liking. some of what it's got is good, but I can't really get all that into it. maybe just not my thing. It's not bad, just not what I'd usually choose to drink. (940 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I served a 750 of this in the early goings of Christmas Eve dinner alongside a Fantome de Noel. What a forceful beer! I only worked the cork a little bit and it came flying out. I didn't hear it land, and I still don't know where it went.

Appearance: Very very very light in color, but I wouldn't say that is bad. It was a little too clear for my liking though. Most people were gravitating toward this just because of the lighter color. The head was soft and ultra-white. I almost thought I poured a glass of champagne.

Smell: Nothing surpising. There was mainly a midrange fruity smell with a bit of a sharp edge.

Taste: Nice. Not utterly spectacular but definitely good. I was expecting more of something, but I don't know what. The flavors seemed toned down in a way. My brother said it tasted like a white, but I don't agree with that.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly and a little tangy.

Drinkability: Yes.

Some people might string me up and burn me but I think of this as the fizzy yellow stuff of premium beers. Keep in mind that's not a knock. (1,055 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

poured a cloudy gold color with a huge white head, its cloudy head doesn't move at all. smell is alot like champagne, or a sparkling white wine, carbonation is everywhere and i assume thats what i'm smelling. taste is good, but not fantastic like i've read. maybe since i dont have a real duvel glass, i've heard that it helps. it has a sweety fruity taste to it, and some distinct yeast flavors, its a good beer, but i wouldn't call it great. maybe i got a bad apple (467 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

Light, clear, yellow pour with a massive, rocky, white head. The aroma is floral, funky, and yeasty with some light citrus, apple, fresh bread dough, and faint candi sugar. The classic Belgian esters and very subtle in the nose also. The flavor is very herbal, floral and citrusy upfront with some light fresh bread and soft banana/clove esters rounding out the middle. The finish is lightly yeasty with just a touch of sweet candi sugar to balance it all. The body is very light, and refreshing with lots of tingly carbonation. (528 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.8%

This beer poured a clear light yellow with a thick creamy head. It is highly carbonated and you can see the carbonation bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass (this beer was poured in a Duvel glass and the bubbles emanated from the bottom center of the glass). It has very nice lacing. It has a sour/sweet smell. The taste is hoppy and cereal, with a bit of sourness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a heavy dose of noticeable carbonation which is brite in the mouth. This is a delicious beer that is well balanced and would be quite drinkable on a hot day; (572 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.8%

(330 ml bottle, white label, "best before 09 2007")

Ah... this is my first "evil" beer. Duvel may be a mass produced beer, but this beer is still proof that a big brewery can still be considered a "craft" brewery. This beer might not be everyone's cup of tea, and I myself probably wouldn't make this beer a regular habit, but this is definitely a must try for anyone who considers themselves a serious beer drinker.

Duvel pours a deceptive gold color, to which the uninitiated might confuse it with a standard fizzy yellow beer. When poured in the Duvel glass, the head is gargantuan, and a flurry of bubbles are visible within the golden liquid. The foam retains extremely well and leaves some nice sticky lace. The aroma had some light sweetness, spiciness, and yeastiness to it. As it warmed, the smell become increasingly more spicy. The bubbly mouthfeel hits the tongue and "stings" it slightly, and combined with the alcoholic warmth this beer feels a bit "hot." The flavor has some light sweetness and fruitiness, but the main flavor includes a huge spicy and peppery flavor. The alcohol does show up a bit in the flavor as well. The overall flavor combined with the hops make the finish drying and bitter. In the aftertaste, the dryness/bitterness linger on with a green apple-like fruitiness accompanying it. Further on (about 5 minutes later), a herbal/tea like aftertaste arrived. I was tasting this beer well after I finished off the glass. The beer concludes with a nice warming sensation.

This is a beautiful looking brew with a unique taste that is surprisingly easy to drink. I didn't know what to think of it at first, but the taste grew on me (I would say it improved as the beer grew warmer). A classic. (1,732 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.8%

A- whitish, yellow body with champagne like carbonation. a solid two fingers of head that doesn't seem to be fading.

S- I want to say european fuggle hops? Not a whole lot giving me an indication what I'm in for.

T- It's nice. It sure doesn't taste like 8.5%. It's kind of sour, but in an interesting way. Very balanced though.

M- It's champagne. There's very little left to the imagination.

O- It's good. It's historical. It's my first one of it's kind. It will be one of those beers I have to go back to after trying more examples of the style. I wonder if the temperature was held correctly during conditioning or if the priming sugar was off because I did not expect it to be this spritzy. I have a hard time imagining I got a bad bottle of Duvel though. (763 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.8%

Cloudy yellow color with a mammoth and lasting head. Very minimal lacing. Sweet, bready aroma. Very tingly on the tongue, and the flavor was not overly complex. I tasted citrus (lemon mainly), vanilla, a little alcohol, and some yeast. Very smooth finish makes this beer quite drinkable. Very good Belgian. (306 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

This is an exceptional beer. It has a nice pale golden hue, that has a seductive glow when put to a light. Duvel has a very nice head, that is just as impressive as its color. The head doesn't stay too long, or too short. Nice lacing occurs, and leaves behind a spiraling foam covered glass edges. A taste of hops, strong flavor, with notes of citrus. The citrus element helps to create a smooth drink, with a crisp and refreshing finish, that lingers a grateful amount of flavor. Carbonated just right, which adds to its crisp taste, without taking away from the overall beer. This beer, has a good amount of AVB, so this really does hit you if you let it it. Also, this is a great beer to have in a Belgian Tulip glass, or in a bottle, but preferably from a glass. Duvel is also great on tap, or course, what beer isn't good on tap. I can go on, this beer was excellent. I recommend this beer, for both a beer selection/collection or to impress your friends. (960 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Having had Belgian style ale in the past, figured the time was right to go O.G. with it. Pours a highly translucent white-yellow w/ the weirdest head I've ever seen (looks like it floats IN the beer after pulling from the glass). Get an unexpected whiff that reminds me of lemon (and little else) before the first swig.

Kinda sweet, despite the smell. Barely any carbonation, very little malt in the background, don't taste the alcohol at all. Very subtle.

To me it's a ridiculously deceptive chillout brew: pop open the stubby size bottles and next thing you know you've lost count. While it definitely does the job, I expected more of an edge. (648 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Duvel was a pretty good beer.

Poured a deep amber, with a large foam head. The foam was good as it trapped some of the bitterness of the beer.

The beer tasted had a good hop bitterness followed by a spicy middle with a crisp malt finish.

Was a little over carbonated, but not too much. Very good beer over all. Definitely one to drink cold on a hot summers day. (370 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Am I missing something? Everyone thinks this beer is so great, but, I don't get it. There's nothing I would fault this beer for, but there's really nothing particularly notable about it, either. I mean it's a solid beer, but I find myself having nothing to say about. No impulse to exclaim or anything when I drink it. There's nothing even remotely surprising about it. I guess it's pretty easy to drink given its high alcohol content, but really its pretty standard. As I said, I'm not faulting this beer, but I just don't understand how it got an A overall, and an A+ from the brothers. Again, I'm willing to accept the possibility that I'm missing something. (661 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

330 mL bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a pale gold color, generally clear, with a fair amount of visible carbonation in the form of small bubbles. White, thick, foamy head is generally rocky, and laces the glass.

Smell: Mild aroma of spices, yeast, and some malts. A bit of alcohol seemed present as well.

Taste: Has a spicy malt taste to the beer. The spices I presume come mostly from cloves, hops, and the alcohol. There's a bit of undefined fruits and yeasts in the background too.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied; generally smooth. Carbonation is soft yet tingly.

Drinkability: The finish is a bit harsh with the alcohol, but it never really comes out to bite you.

Though it's an enjoyable beer, I usually find Duvel far from impressive. It is, of course, manditory to try for those who enjoy Belgians, and I'll certainly have it again, but it is hardly near the top of my list. (920 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a chalice.
I liked this beer but from the rating and the reviews I was expecting a bit more impact from the experience. If it wasn't for all the hype there wouldn't have been much that was memorable about this beer aside from the price. I suppose this beer just isn't my style. I wasn't wowed by Rare Vos either which is very similar to this but findable for about half the price.
Extremely drinkable at 8.5%... vitually undetectable. Very mild in taste. An attractive pale ale. Dry, but not as crisp as I'd like.
Easy to drink and accessable but not "World Class" in my mind. Either I have more to learn or others are too easily impressed. (675 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

A- This beer poured a clear yellow-gold with a 1 finger head from a conservative pour. Very clear and light colored.

S- I had seen some reviews describing the smell as having a hint of apples and Id have to agree. There is also a semi-strong hops presence.

T- I definitely taste what seems like grapes. Grains are present although not very unique in taste. There is a nice bite towards the end and surprisingly it hides its alcohol well.

M- Very crisp and dry. Like champagne. (481 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

As far as beers of this style go, I've got to give this one a solid B. I've had far too many great beers that are far more preferable to this that pure-and-simple blow me out of the water in this particular style. My scale may be jaded by the Golden Ales from Russian River and Iron Fist, which have so far set my standard for this beer.

Appearance: Nothing unusual - classic golden style, clear finish, golden with a mild-brown in color.

Smell: Derived pretty evenly from hop, yeast, and malt characteristics. Nothing remarkably obtrusive about the smell, some mildly floral hop characteristics.

Taste: Average. Really about all I can say. Perhaps my favorite characteristics of this beer come from truly accentuating the yeast. Fermentation temperature issues? Not sure, but overall, I have to say that this beer doesn't quite blow my mind in taste as its American imitators do...

Mouthfeel: Great - even with extensive traveling, this beer maintains a good carbonation level, and a smooth overall mouthfeel.

Overall: Pretty good. Not exceptional. A function of mass-production? (1,085 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

L:Bright golden yellow with a bright shiny white sparkling head that sticks to the glass. The foam crazy
S:I am picking up a lsight nutty smell, similar to a pils. Light citrus
T: Big lemon zest explodes right away and lingers through out
M: The fizz gives you a nice warm sensation
D: Its good, but a bit to pils like for me. Not a huge pils fan (346 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours clean and sharp with a thick white head.

Color is a transparent yellow, with a steady stream of bubbles percolating from the bottom of the glass.

Smell is sour, with tones of malt that appear very much lager like.

First sip is light, with several complex flavors appearing up front in the pallet. Has the qualities of a very nice Pilsner, with the complexities of something much more mature.

In terms of Belgian Ales, this ranks right up with the best of them. And while I may not put the type in my favorites list, I can definitely appreciate it for what it's worth. (579 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a beautiful golden color with ample creamy froth. Flowery hops on the nose give it great aromatic character. Fuller in body than it looks, this is really well-balanced between a delicate bitterness and light malt flavors. The alcohol is prevalent but in-check. Well-done ale. (281 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.3%

A- Hazy, diluted pale sunbeam yellow with a white merengue of thick head

S- Hints of caramel over ripe dark fermenting fruits, some pepper, maybe a bit of coriander, and lots of Belgian yeast

T- Bready, nutty, flavors follow the nose, a bit of phenol, a tart and pilsy finish

M- Smooth carbonation, silky body

D- Goes down easy, inoffensive (344 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.5%

Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip glass this beers appearance is highly impressive.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a super frothy white head that lingers for the duration.

The aroma screams spices. Not much fruity aroma detected at all.

The flavors are malty and citrusy. Honey, lemon, and a hint of pepper that warms the beer well with each drink.

The mouthfeel is robust and definitely not shy with a lingering spicy taste.

A very strong beer not intended for session drinking but a good choice for a belgian ale nonetheless. (549 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I've been having a lot of stouts lately that haven't had too much head, so I've been pouring my beers pretty hard. Anyways, I decided to do this while pouring this beer....big mistake! This beer is so heady, that I wasn't even sure it even had beer in it. LOL. Anyways, let me get serious with this review.

A: Big and frothy looking head along with a rich golden color.

S: A mix of apple cider and banana aroma followed by subtle Belgian spices.

T: Again, a strong apple cider influence along with some sort of citrus fruity character.

M: A light to medium body that leaves your mouth refreshed and rejuvenated; lower carbonation than expected.

D: Good with no hints of alcohol; a good beer to enjoy after a long day.

Overall: A good beer, not mind-blowing for me. It's definitely worth a try if you get a chance. (821 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.5%

330 mL bottle, best by date of June 2012. Pours into tulip a great looking pale yellow, with about a fist worth of huge, rocky white head that looks delicious enough to eat with a spoon. Crazy bubbles from bottom of the glass seem never ending. Clarity seems to cloud up as time passes, insane amount of lacing is left all around the inside of the glass. Truly one of the better looking ales available. Very unique in its own right.
Smells of alcohol and a yeasty, subtle malt character.
Tastes of nice malt, sweetness in the middle, followed by warming from the alcohol, which is hidden so well you might not even know that it is there. Has a dry finish. Refreshing taste, to say the least.
Feels great, lively carbonation and a smooth, slick feel make this a deceptively easy brew to drink. Almost too easy, considering the alcohol content. (842 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.5%

had this on a few times before yet to have one in the duvel glass had it in a stella glass

A- hazy golden with a huge fluffy white head

S- slightly fruity yeasty sour apples maybe

T- mellow the the 8.5 abv is nat vary aparent alittle on the yeast side same fruity notes as the smell

M- light on the mouth vary nice (321 characters)

750 ml corked bottle. Best before 9/08
Pours an straw-golden yelllow with an unbelievably immense head. The brew is moderately cloudy in appearance due to the bottle fermentation, but through the yeast I can see millions of little bubbles struggle their way to join their brethren at the surface. Maybe the most beautiful head I have ever seen on any beer.

Initial spicy saaz hop aroma... very pils-esque (not a positive feature in my mind, but that is just my personal preference of course). This is followed by a huge yeasty backbone. Lots of citrusy lemon zest. Malt is easily identifiable in this brew as well, although it takes back seat to the other aromas.

Perhaps it is the intense carbonation in this brew, but I have a hard time discerning any strong independant flavours. Lots of yeast, but other than that, somewhat boring. Perhaps a bit of doughy breadiness. Kinda disappointed here. It's not bad by any means.... I just don't see what is so spectacular about it.

This brew is way too highly carbonated in my opinion. Carbonation destroys the flavour in this case, and makes the mouthfeel too tight and dry. While the overall thickness of the beer is about right, the total mouthfeel is only average.

I have mixed feelings regarding the drinkability. For one, the 8.5% abv is nowhere to be found in this light crisp beverage. On the other hand, the carbonation is so extreme that it kinda ruins this brew for me. So I will leave it at this... while I think this brew is different, and I respect that, it is not for me. I doubt I'll be dropping $8 for a 750ml again any time soon. (1,605 characters)

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV