Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,698 | Hads: 7,431
3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

I was limited to pint glasses for this one, which perhaps wasn't the best container. I poured the contents of this tiny bottle slowly enough where I didn't expect 2/3 of the glass to fill up with foam. It fizzed like a soft drink, and the fluffy, bubbly head took its time to settle, clinging to the sides of the glass and leaving a small cloud settling on the pale, transparent yellowish liquid beneath. I added more beer and once again, the head rocketed up. I waited a good 5-7 minutes, hoping that with time I could eventually empty the entire 11.2 oz bottle into the glass, but eventually I ran out of patience and decided to deal with the foam mustache I'd be receiving.

The smell, which shot out of the bottle as soon as I popped the cap, was a wet, malty, biscuity, and phenolic/band-aid odor.

The first sip (foam mustache included, although the foam was so light and fluffy that it was easy to get through to the liquid beneath) was very malty with piney, somewhat bitter hops and just a splash of banana, and a slight creaminess in the body. The alcohol was barely noticeable, amazingly enough considering the 8.5% ABV. A bit too much malt for my taste, but I could still appreciate the moderate complexity of this beverage.

I had Duvel once before and I remember not particularly enjoying it. I'm still not overwhelmed by it, but it's definitely palatable and very easy to drink. I'm not so sure about paying $3 for a 11.2 oz. bottle, though, but then the liquor store where I picked it up isn't known for reasonable prices (I also paid $10.99 for a Chimay Blue).

I'll grab this one again, preferably in a 4- or 6-pack if it's available.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

A 330ml bottle dated best before November 2015 and poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: The beer poured a slightly hazy golden straw yellow colour with maybe just under a two finger creamy white head that dissipated slowly leaving nice stringy lacing.

Aroma: Main aromas of citrus lemon and banana with slight funk followed by some lighter grassy and flowery smells.

Taste: Starts with bitter, tart and slightly sour citrus lemon, pear and apple followed by banana and honey sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with high carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: Overall this was not a bad beer. But if I was to compare to others in this style, off the top of my head I do prefer both Delirium Tremens and La Chouffe before Duvel and unfortunately for Duvel, both of them are as widely available in Hong Kong.

3.77/5  rDev -11.9%

Well, in all my years I have never poured anything like THIS before. Half the pilsner is a very light, very clear, gold color and the other half is the head. Half the pilsner is head I said! I do not know how to grade this. I am at a loss for any analysis. I am just going to have to take a stab at looks. The smell is great. Smell of very fresh hops in something that promises to be potent. As I TRY to pour the rest of the beer, here we go again. Head out the yin-yang. Am I ever going to DRINK this beer? Finally, the taste. Not impressed. Very weak. Can taste the massive carbonation as if it was campaign, not beer. No aftertaste at all. Very fresh. Very, very drinkable, but drink a domestic light if you want a buzz. Verdict: Try at your own risk.

3.77/5  rDev -11.9%

A- Pours a golden color with lost of bubbles

S-smells of bannas and yeast

T-Hoppy maltiness with some citrus notes

M-Lots of carbonation and light bodied

D-Very clean,fresh taste...but it also had alittle too much yeast flavor and was alittle off for me. Might have just been a bad bottle.Still was a good beer but felt it to be too hyped for what it tasted like.

look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look, real pale yellow, smell bread and grass, taste bread and citrus feel is a sense of alcohol, and medium carbonation, good but expensive, paid 24 for a four.

3.77/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Wasn't what I expected after seeing the alcohol content on the bottle. I was expecting something more along the lines of Leffe. Has a citrus smell and is a refreshing pale yellow to amber colour. Taste reminds me of an English ale as there's a slight hoppy bitterness as well as banana notes. There's also a smoky deeper notes reminiscent of whiskey. Effervescent refreshing mouth feel, that makes for a surprisingly easy drink, goes down like a regular beer so be warned!

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Four pack gift set w/ glass given to me for Christmas. Pretty sure this was bought fresh at CostCo & not from under the spotlights at Stop & Shop. Best Before: 05 2013

Glass that came with the set is defective(lopsided base, just like my last one), but I'll chance it just for the review.

Insane crown of stiff snow. Bubbly nucleation point checking in. Gold staw-colored, with just a twinge of haze. Sediment mostly stays in the bottle. Blobs of lace erratically stain the glass.

Smells of fresh mixed bitter greens & lemon upfront. With doughy yeast, crusty Italian bread, white peppercorns, sea salt & just a touch of malt sweetness bringing up the rear.

Taste upfront has a sweet, buttery chardonnay/doughy yeast combo(that doesn't come through as much if your hesitating friend only takes a small sip. So no hesitating!). Fantastic herbals & soft shallot-y onion sweetness. A little salt too. Finish is all crusty/doughy yeast, dry & eager to continue drinking.

Carbonation starts of strong, but dies off quickly. Body has a wheat-y feel. Alcohol isn't well hidden.

A classic, but in a blind tasting, I doubt I'd give this good of a score. The subtleties in the hop profile just get lost under all the super fresh American beers available drowning my senses.

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%

For all of the A+ and A ratings this one seemed a little overhyped to me after my tasting. The head and continuous carbonation truly was amazing. Almost too amazing as I poured slowly into a tilted pint glass, but had to wait after 6 oz poured as the head was already 3 to 4 fingers thick and near the top of the glass. The appearance was slightly murky somewhere between a pilsner and a wheat. The flavor was good, not great, and the high alcohol content was well disguised. For the high price tag, I was expecting a little more spectacular beer, but its still a decent beer worth a sampling. It is very drinkable and if I weren't such a lightweight, I could probably have a 2nd or 3rd..however 1 is enough for me to feel it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass ( should probably get a tulip shaped glass to truly appreciate the complexity's of this beer ).

This is my first Duvel and have never had a beer quite like it.

Even though I gently poured it into my tilted glass the foam head quickly filled my pilsner glass 2/3 full of effervescent fluffy white foam, which was very slow to dissipate.

Duvel is medium to light golden color with lots of tiny bubbles that don't quit.

Smell is of hay,yeast, and fruit.

Taste is of hay, yeast, slight fruitiness, pepper and malt with a touch of bitter. I can taste the alcohol ( not to mention feel it ) but not so much that it is unpleasant.

Duvel kind of reminds me of drinking champagne with all the bubbles and the higher alcohol content but is most definitely beer with a unique taste that is hard to pin down. I think I will have to keep sampling these from time to time to get a better feel for them.

I bought a 4 pack of these at Corral liquor in Granite City IL for 7.99

This is my first post on a beer forum, and I'm not hip to all the Lingo, but I do enjoy Beer and trying new things and have been using this site to pick new beers to try, so hopefully I will eventually get better at my evaluations. Cheers Bigdaddy

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%

Bottle poured into a recently purchased Duvel glass. The appearance is a dull golden with a never-ending cascade of tiny bubbles heading towards a gigantic white frothy head. The head will lessen but stick around and lace the glass with white frothy bubbles. The smell is light and spicy with a hint of alcohol. The taste is nice smooth, crisp and carbonated. You hardly notice the alcohol, but it warms the body. Head still existent throughout. A drinkable beer indeed.

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%

Maybe I don't get this style.

Appearance is exceptional. I have never poured a bottle-conditioned brew that is so clear. A lot of carbonation that bubbles up into a head that is tall, but delicate, almost meringue-like.

The smell is fresh and mildly hoppy, with a hint of vegetal character that is stronger in the taste. Maybe it is the nature of the hops, maybe its the alcohol, but it seems a bit off.

The carbonation and head give this an exceptional mouthfeel.

I think that I will try to retaste this one when I work my way through what the beer elves brought me.

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Stubby little bottle, says it is "bottle conditioned"

Large frothy and foamy head. Looks like a meringue. Serious sheets of lace, the chalice was coated all the way to the bottom. Cloudy (yeast), pale light golden in color, you could confuse it with a lager, but acts like champagne with larger bubbles. Looks over-carbonated.

Smells of yeast & faint alcohol, maybe subtle hint of over-ripe bananas.

Taste of clean, fresh yeast, some hops and bitterness on the finish, some bananas. Very crisp, makes you want more. Some taste of alcohol.

Nice, full body. It feels odd to feel the creaminess with the bitterness.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Light yellow color with one finger head with minimal lacing. Some cloudiness.
S: Citrus, straw, and wheat.
T: the alcohol content of 8.5% is well hidden. Pretty good flavor with hints of wheat and citrus.
M: interesting trick which can extract the alcohol flavor, (why would you want to) is to smack your tongue off the roof of your mouth a few times. Suddenly, you can taste the alcohol.
O: Mediocre.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

330ml bottle ($3.82) from Premier in Halifax. Aroma has pleasant hints of citrus hops. Pours an almost clear pale golden colour, with white head. Has a light sweet taste. Body is medium, oily texture, with lively carbonation. I remember drinking a darker Duvel a few years ago, so it was a bit disappointing to see that this one is so pale. Still a great brew.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Reviewed from notes taken after drinking Duvel many times in Belgium; the first time I sampled this was in a pub at the Sablon in Brussels.

A: Lovely radiant gold with miles of thick, foamy head at first pour.

S: Yeasty, citrusy, fresh... like a field of freshly-cut hay.

T: Yeasts hit hard with strong notes of tulips, lemons, and hay. Pepper and other spices pique the tongue with a tingle and finishes slightly dry with more yeast. Alcohol flavor is a suggestion here.

M: Crispy, clean, and slightly effervescent on the palate.

D: Of course it's exceedingly drinkable. This is, for me, the quintessential Belgian Blonde.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a clear straw gold with a nice dissipating head and moderate lacing. Smells a little skunky with some malt and spice. Flavors are a bit complex and blend pretty well, definitely a bitter aftertaste. Pretty light mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This beer is much more impressive when considering the 8.5% abv. Overall a solid beer, and it's always a plus that you can find it at any local convenient store if your are in Belgium.. but if I'm there I'm drinking something else.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Haze golden, white head with good retention. Aroma: fruity, spicy, earthy and maltiness. In the taste fruity, and earthy. More bitter than others bgsa, really good beer, doesn't have the same equilibrium than others of the same style, but a really nice experience

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

A-Pours a translucent straw with an abundant amount of foamy white head, which after settling gives way to considerable lacing.

S-yeast, malt, and wheat are present up front, followed by some very mild floral/herbal notes...somewhat underwhelming.

T-Mild and dry peppery spice mixes with the yeasty herbal characters present in the aroma, and a subtle hint of lemon.

M-In spite of the intense carbonation this ale has a very smooth feel. Quite refreshing.

O-A very drinkable and pleasant, if overrated ale. Perhaps what makes this a winner is its subtlety.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a fizzy straw color into a goblet, with a rough head about a half finger in width, and lots of carb action that make this entertaining to look at. Aroma is of orange, banana bread, yeasty breadiness, orange, and a little bit of plum. Mouthfeel is smooth, crisp, with abundant carbonation slicing through. Taste is tart, orangy with yeast and a slight hint of banana in the middle, fades to some smooth citrus hop bitterness at the end. Overall, a unique brew.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

this is my first duvel ever. ommegang chalice. says best before 04 2011.

a- looks heavily carbonated. bubbly white head on top of a semi-opaque gold liquid. the bubbles are extremely active. As it slows down the head gets smoother, creamier.

s- tart citrus of lemon, orange zest, a little banana sweetness. bready malts. overhanging slight smell of an over light-exposed beer, but it could be my imagination.

t- banana up front with a strong lemon juice sourness. bready in the middle and through the finish with a little fruit sweetness. Nothing incredibly complex here, but not bad either. The sourness comes on a bit too strong for me.

m- creamy, but with near champange like levels of carbonation. this is fairly pleasing.

d- this beer is just a tad bit too tart for my liking. some of what it's got is good, but I can't really get all that into it. maybe just not my thing. It's not bad, just not what I'd usually choose to drink.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I served a 750 of this in the early goings of Christmas Eve dinner alongside a Fantome de Noel. What a forceful beer! I only worked the cork a little bit and it came flying out. I didn't hear it land, and I still don't know where it went.

Appearance: Very very very light in color, but I wouldn't say that is bad. It was a little too clear for my liking though. Most people were gravitating toward this just because of the lighter color. The head was soft and ultra-white. I almost thought I poured a glass of champagne.

Smell: Nothing surpising. There was mainly a midrange fruity smell with a bit of a sharp edge.

Taste: Nice. Not utterly spectacular but definitely good. I was expecting more of something, but I don't know what. The flavors seemed toned down in a way. My brother said it tasted like a white, but I don't agree with that.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly and a little tangy.

Drinkability: Yes.

Some people might string me up and burn me but I think of this as the fizzy yellow stuff of premium beers. Keep in mind that's not a knock.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

poured a cloudy gold color with a huge white head, its cloudy head doesn't move at all. smell is alot like champagne, or a sparkling white wine, carbonation is everywhere and i assume thats what i'm smelling. taste is good, but not fantastic like i've read. maybe since i dont have a real duvel glass, i've heard that it helps. it has a sweety fruity taste to it, and some distinct yeast flavors, its a good beer, but i wouldn't call it great. maybe i got a bad apple

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Light, clear, yellow pour with a massive, rocky, white head. The aroma is floral, funky, and yeasty with some light citrus, apple, fresh bread dough, and faint candi sugar. The classic Belgian esters and very subtle in the nose also. The flavor is very herbal, floral and citrusy upfront with some light fresh bread and soft banana/clove esters rounding out the middle. The finish is lightly yeasty with just a touch of sweet candi sugar to balance it all. The body is very light, and refreshing with lots of tingly carbonation.

3.74/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer poured a clear light yellow with a thick creamy head. It is highly carbonated and you can see the carbonation bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass (this beer was poured in a Duvel glass and the bubbles emanated from the bottom center of the glass). It has very nice lacing. It has a sour/sweet smell. The taste is hoppy and cereal, with a bit of sourness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a heavy dose of noticeable carbonation which is brite in the mouth. This is a delicious beer that is well balanced and would be quite drinkable on a hot day;

3.74/5  rDev -12.6%

(330 ml bottle, white label, "best before 09 2007")

Ah... this is my first "evil" beer. Duvel may be a mass produced beer, but this beer is still proof that a big brewery can still be considered a "craft" brewery. This beer might not be everyone's cup of tea, and I myself probably wouldn't make this beer a regular habit, but this is definitely a must try for anyone who considers themselves a serious beer drinker.

Duvel pours a deceptive gold color, to which the uninitiated might confuse it with a standard fizzy yellow beer. When poured in the Duvel glass, the head is gargantuan, and a flurry of bubbles are visible within the golden liquid. The foam retains extremely well and leaves some nice sticky lace. The aroma had some light sweetness, spiciness, and yeastiness to it. As it warmed, the smell become increasingly more spicy. The bubbly mouthfeel hits the tongue and "stings" it slightly, and combined with the alcoholic warmth this beer feels a bit "hot." The flavor has some light sweetness and fruitiness, but the main flavor includes a huge spicy and peppery flavor. The alcohol does show up a bit in the flavor as well. The overall flavor combined with the hops make the finish drying and bitter. In the aftertaste, the dryness/bitterness linger on with a green apple-like fruitiness accompanying it. Further on (about 5 minutes later), a herbal/tea like aftertaste arrived. I was tasting this beer well after I finished off the glass. The beer concludes with a nice warming sensation.

This is a beautiful looking brew with a unique taste that is surprisingly easy to drink. I didn't know what to think of it at first, but the taste grew on me (I would say it improved as the beer grew warmer). A classic.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV