Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros

cciquera01, May 05, 2013

CORunner01, May 02, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -12%

Hefewiseman, May 02, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Duvel a couple weeks ago for $4.29 at The Lager Mill. I have never had this beer before, I have always wanted to try it but the price put me off a little, but I decided it was time to try it, so lets see how it goes. Best before 02 2015. Poured from a stuby Belgian 11.2oz brown bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice clean and classic look to it, I like it. It poured a slightly hazy pale straw yellow color that took on a bight golden yellow hue when held to the light with four fingers worth of rocky and fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left tons of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, it's pretty close to being perfect, I really like it.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice citrus rind aroma with lemons seeming to stick out the most followed by lots of grassy, hay, earthy, and straw like aromas that are followed by a slight bit of biscuit malts. Up next I get some spicy yeast with cloves seeming to stick out the most followed by some lighter tart aromas towards the end. This beer had a pretty good aroma that I thought was very true to style, I enjoyed it.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a Some nice bready and slight biscuit like malts followed by some citrus rind with lemon still stickint out the most, it's similar to lemon grass and it's followed by some grassy, earthy, and straw like flavors with some banana flavors that are a little on the lighter side and are followed by some spicy yeast with cloves still sticking out the most. On the finish there's a lighter amount of bitterness with just a little bit of tartness to go with it, with an earthy, grassy, and citrus rind like aftertaste. This beer taste pretty good, it was very true to style and the flavors were very well balanced, I enjoyed it.

M- Smooth, crisp, refreshing, a little dry, medium bodied, with a higher amount of carbonation that was pretty prickly. The mouthfeel was pretty good, the higher prickly carbonation worked really nice with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and a very good example of the style, I've had more than of a few of this style and this beer seems to do the best job at showing what this style is really about and all the aspects of it seems to be balanced nicely. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, refreshing, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, it would be nice to drink a few of these during the summer, but the price prevents me from doing so. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style and balanced it was and the appearance was also very good. What I liked the least about this beer was the price, it's a very high quality beer, but I still don't think it's worth the price, that's the only downfall with this beer. I would buy this beer again, but it wouldn't be often because of it's price, this would have to be a once in a while beer. I recommend this to anyone who likes Belgian Pale Ales, it's a very good and true example of the style. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, I had some higher expectations for this beer since it's highly regarded and it met my expectations nicely and I think this beer gets all the respect it deserves. It made for a good fist impression and I will be on the look out for some different Duvel beers, great job guys. So far there is no doubt that is my favorite Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

StoutHunter, May 01, 2013

TKEbeerman, May 01, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

uncccegr, May 01, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -46%

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that this is the most overrated beer on beeradvocate.com. I’d never had Duvel before–I didn’t realize it was a Belgian. It has to be one of the worst Belgians I’ve ever tasted. It struck me immediately as skunkorama–a la Beck’s.

It did taste quite a bit better when drunk later while eating--with some spicy shrimp and grits. They tended to mask the skunk. Generally, I'd rather not have to worry about masking unpleasant flavors in my beer.

Generally I’m pretty much in agreement with beeradvocate.

glenviewjeff, Apr 30, 2013