1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,779 | Reviews: 2,550 | Show All Ratings:
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

A pleasant beer in every sense: interesting bottle, light hazy color, nice head. Pleasant taste not overpowering. Found it a bit creamy and sweet and not overly dry, but higher than average alcohol does affect mouthfeel. perhaps it was my batch or the chemistry changes depending on storage and age. Nice with food and would have another anytime.

12-05-2003 03:13:48 | More by Sammy
BierManVA

3.13/5  rDev -26.5%

I'm a bit disappointed with this one. Not quite what I expected. Not a bad bier mind you, just disappointing for the price.

Very light color with heavy carbonation. The smell and taste are just not there in my opinion. Very weak. La Fin du Monde is by far a more superior style of this bier. And for the price as well.

Disappointing....

12-05-2003 01:05:14 | More by BierManVA
Andreji

Colombia

Even though this is a very good beer, I did expect it to be a little better.

Pours a golden but not completely translucid tone with carbonation that runs up only through the center of the glass- an interesting image- and builds up a creamy and sparkling white head that lasts longer than expected.

The smell, a mixture of wheaty/ malty contrasts with some soury ingredients, makes it certainly complex. But what you dont identify here and that perhaps I found somewhat reppeling was that the tasting, as you progress, you find the alcohol being ever more perceivable. That held me back from another one and left me a bit disappointed, but not enough to undermine its overall quality.

12-03-2003 13:09:32 | More by Andreji
JustinBathurst

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -16%

This beer was recommended to me by a friend whose beer tastes I trust quite a bit. What I discovered was that this particular kind of beer is not for me. Quite a lovely appearance, especially in a nice duvel abbey glass, and not bad just before dessert (but of course after a meal, good lord not on an empty stomach).

Everything seemed to agree with me until I actually tasted it--far too full of a spirits-like aftertaste for me. Not my thing, but pretty interesting nonetheless.

11-29-2003 05:02:07 | More by JustinBathurst
Charthepirate

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Even though it's a strong ale it screams Hefewiezen.

Not an attractive color when poured, but the big billowy head is a work of art. The head seems to stay and stay in these big gorgeous clumps till your last sip.

Smell is spicy and wheaty.

Flavor hits like a hefewiezen at first, but right away some citrus, pepper and a variety of other flavors. The peppery bite will catch you off guard. Finally a warming sensation from the alcohol. Not my favorite style, but I can see how this beer is so fantastically rated.

Its peppery bite is the most defining characteristic on the mouth. It's what makes the beer so good, but so hard to drink more than a few.

11-23-2003 22:07:57 | More by Charthepirate
mschofield

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

750ml bottle, cork and wire
Hazy yellow with a foaming head, this isn't your standard head it has the heft of whipped cream. Make sure you use the correct glass, and wetting it down first may be wise. That head doesn't quit either, it will be there when the beer is gone.

Pepper in the aroma and taste - thats the alcohol coming through, and coming through right, some spice, green apple and lemon. The hops remind me of hops from a lager not an ale.
Very carbonated, like a glass of champagne. This one made me sleepy, that would be the only thing keeping me from drinking a few.

11-19-2003 19:26:05 | More by mschofield
Globetrotter

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Short, squat brown 33cl bottle with a wavy neck and a white label with the necessary red lettering. Best before 3/2006, I opened it (too early?) on 11/17/03.

Pours a cloudy yellow under a huge and billowing white head that takes its sweet time to settle. Nice lace, but the liquid is just too pale for my taste. The smell is pleasant - pepper and spice. The mouth is way too carbonated and heavy with sweetness. The bubbles actually hurt the tongue and palate. I'll concede that there is a lot of complex tastes here, but none of them is really what I want in a beer - standard francophone sweetness, a bit of pepper and clove, very little in the way of malt, and practically no hops. Oh, wait, there is a bit of a hoppy bite in the aftertaste, but it is short-lived. I'll concede that this is a quality beer, but it sure isn't my cup of tea - or chalice of beer, for that matter.

11-17-2003 19:24:22 | More by Globetrotter
DESTRO

Nevada

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

this is the blackmetal beer, so put on your closest darkthrone record and crack this open. this pours pale/cloudy with a big pillow head. its smells mouth watering, pepper, spice, light lemon rind. the taste is a mix of malt, big spice, pepper and lemon all comming together in the most delightful of ways. crisp with big carbonation makes the mouth tingle and it all finishes on a dry note. damn smooth drinkin and big on the alcohol. i really like this. and when i pour it into a chalice it goes great with my gauntlets. (i kid)

paid $6.99 for a 750ml.

11-17-2003 08:09:58 | More by DESTRO
NJpadreFan

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Duvel

Re-reviewed 12-17-08
(Originally reviewed 11-14-03)

A- Bright cloudy orange with a thick billowy head. Good chunky lacing down the glass.
S- Sweet light lemon with hints of toasted grains and hay/straw.
T- Tart lemon and orange rind with a mild hay/straw grain malt.
M- Slightly tart with a citric bite. Sugary sweet with a sour dry finish.

Overall- Worthy of a pint or 2. Nothing spectacular here.

(I re-reviewed this beer so any fellow BA'ers won't question my "connoisseur" status.)
:) sarcasm.

11-14-2003 22:11:34 | More by NJpadreFan
yankeeheel

Maine

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a champagne yellow with a big billowy white head. very nice lacing and retention. Smells strongly of grass, lemon citrus, and yeast. The smell makes me weary that it will be overly-hoppy.

My fears are allayed upon the first sip. Clove, bannana, apple, and pear come through in a very soft and clean wave. The taste just seems to ebb away to a subtly dry finish. If it wasn't for the 8.5% ABV, you could drink this all night. Can't emphisize enough how clean and finished this beer is.

11-14-2003 00:51:29 | More by yankeeheel
pheurton

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

in the netherlands, this stuff is in every bar you go to. if we here in us should be so lucky. poured into the proper duvel glass, hazy golden with a *massive* creamy white head. streaming carbonation. so pretty i almost don't want to drink it.

almost.

lively carbonation. peppery sweetness, balanced by earthy "european" hops. flavor and mouthfeel deepens as it warms. the most quaffable 8.5% beer i've ever drank. narcoticly boozy. just great stuff. even though i've had it on occasion in the us, it will always remind me of my first trip to europe. fantastic stuff.

11-08-2003 00:46:21 | More by pheurton
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

750ml bottle that I enjoyed in my office after a long day of work. Golden yellow in color with a huge fluffy white head that lasts for a long time. Laces very nicely. Extremely effervesant which leads to it being very explosive in the mouth. The smell is sweet, citrus, must, yeast, bready with a hint of malt.

The aftertaste has a bit of bitterness. Very warming towards the end where the alcohol starts to come through. I enjoyed this beer very much but don't think I will go for it all the time.

11-05-2003 23:26:34 | More by CharlesRiver
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Ahhhh, devil beer.

Nice golden color, thick head with great holding power. Perhaps the head of all heads, it's an amazing, white fluffy cloud on top of a beer. Cascading bubbles.

The aroma is intoxicating, almost literally. Fruit (apples?), malt and alchohol with a touch of floral undertones.

Wow, does this beer taste good! Those Belgians know their stuff and this beer proves it. Slightly fruity, malty, just the right amount of hops. Dry finish with subtle undertones. This dude means business.

Creamy and crisp on the palate.

I could drink a lot of this but with an abv of 8.5% it's pretty sneaky.

One of the best beers.

11-05-2003 03:08:58 | More by Shultzerdugen
ToneControl

United Kingdom (England)

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

This is a very strong, warming beer, but it is very drinkable.

Since my homebrewing days, I have always decanted live beers into a jug before pouring into the glass, so as to avoid disturbing the sediment. For me, this help reduce carbonation a little, to a degree that pleases me. Done this way, Duvel is crystal clear after just 2 days in the fridge.

OK, this is a classic, it's hard to get this strength in a balanced drinkable beer (unless you already appreciate strong treacley lagers such as Special brew/Elephant beer, and the Scottish super lagers). It has a very round taste, and for me the hops don't really appear. I assume they are there as a balance, but they don't really stand out compared to some of my other favourites. I agree, in a way the mouthfeel is a little like champagne (as mentioned in various reviews here), but since I drink more Duvel than champagne, I'd say it was the other way round!

Since it's so easy to find this beer, you should really try it out.

After reading another reviewer's comments about drinking it with a chilli, I may try it with a curry - although most Brits drink lagers with currys, I have heard recently from some Indians that red wines work well, so I guess a really heavy beer might also do the trick

11-03-2003 21:56:34 | More by ToneControl
Jon

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Cloudy pale yellow with a meringue-like white head. Great lacing and even better retention when poured in the Duvel glass. Nose features aromas of herbal hops, yeast, mild spice, fruit and maybe a touch of candy sugar. Taste is complex, round, and quite enjoyable. The yeast character never strays far, while notes of passion fruit, apricot, sweet malt, candy sugar and spice lead to a zesty hop kick on the finish. Effervescent mouthfeel lends itself well to this beer's overall characteristics. Incredibly drinkable for an 8.5% ale, Duvel is something else. Truly a favorite, this is the beer that morphed me into a Belgian ale fan. Wonderful stuff and a must-try. I can't believe it took me so long to review this one....

11-02-2003 02:08:46 | More by Jon
Ianhockey91

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours out a very light yellow wiht a massive massive fluffy white head. Smells quite dry, a little tough to discern certain things but alcohol was definetly present. Tastes slightly more hoppy in the front but wham then the malt hits you, the alcohol is present but hidden well for the most part. It almost has the mouthfeel of a sweet champagne, great beer.

10-28-2003 03:52:21 | More by Ianhockey91
Admiraldinty

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours golden with a huge white fluffy head. Sweet, peppery, spicy, but clean smelling nose. Very creamy, yet at the same time has a crazy crisp mouthfeel. Almost like champagne. Starts rather bitter, but ends with malt sweetness. Minor fruitiness. Dry aftertaste. This is good stuff, and I can really appreciate it, but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me.

10-28-2003 02:42:49 | More by Admiraldinty
dannyvee

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

I'm a relative newcomer to beligian strong ales, but one encounter with this beauty was all it took to hook me. I ordered it at the Other Side Cafe in boston with a bowl of chili and was in heaven.

The huge head caught me off guard, but the duvel glass allowed the beer to be drunk without me ending up with a face full of foam. The little "tornado" of bubbles from the base of the glass is great, too.

This beer feels like champagne in the mouth- nice tight carbonation. The floral, hoppy flavors show little of the high alcohol content of this "devil". Since my first encounter I have been seeking this beer out whenever and wherever possible- what more could a brewery hope for?

10-27-2003 19:30:24 | More by dannyvee
ZAP

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

First thing that strikes me about this beer is how easily drinkable it is...I cracked this bottle anticipating a slow sipping beer, and boy was I wrong...sure this is made for sipping but it slides down way too easy for its strength...Almost thirst quenching while also being sweet and tasty..

pours a bright yellow....white lace rims the glass as you drink....pretty charged up....First impression on the nose was a skunkiness...then it became more noticable as a peppery/spicy smell...Body is on the high side of medium...highly carbonated... but easily drinkable....flavors are sweet at first...nice Belgian malt profile...also some lemony flavors...the spicy characteristics noted on the nose are less noticable on the taste...very small....

This is an excellent beer and a true treat....unfortunately I just about had to take out a second mortage to buy this bottle so I don't see drinking it regularly....It would be a nice treat now and then but to be honest I'd prefer a belgian that is more of a sipper....this slides down too easy for the $$$ I invested...still this is a great beer I'd love to enjoy more of in the future...

10-25-2003 05:38:04 | More by ZAP
RocketWidget

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Spectacular! Served in a unique bubble necked bottle. Head is creamy, thick, condensing and everlasting. Color is a somewhat unattractive golden yellow, the only downside. Smells sweet and wheaty, and other indiscript pleasant aromas. One of the best tasting beers I've ever had, hints of malt, sugar, hoppy thickness. Carbonation stays with the flavor and enhances it. Aftertaste is much the same, but dies with a hint of wheat. Buy this when you see it!

10-24-2003 14:44:01 | More by RocketWidget
gnaussea

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

They should have sent a poet. Nearly my favorite belgian to date. Billowy, ceaseless, virgin-white head. One it settles it leaves a pure lace on the glass. The color is absolutely golden. With yeast added, its opaque and brilliant when held up to light. The nose is very direct. Fine balance of belgian hops and malts, light fruitiness, more citrus than sweet. Spices present themselves, but not in memorable fashion. The mouthfeel is crisp and micro-bubbly, as much as any champange. It imposes itself and therefore detracts, on the flavor a bit. Tastes present are citrus malts, genuine Belgian hops, apple, and coriander. Even at 8.5% you have to search for alcohol flavor, which is dangerous if put in the wrong hands. A fine brew for nearly any night. For it's availability and price, it is a must-have.

10-19-2003 07:41:18 | More by gnaussea
smitty1080

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It’s so pretty. Poured out a golden yellow with a head that could support a beach umbrella. Bubbles danced on the sides of the glass try to get away from the alcohol. The aroma had yeast, citrus and alcohol. The taste was tart, yeasty and warming.

A definite wolf in sheep’s clothing.

10-18-2003 23:24:18 | More by smitty1080
grynder33

Wisconsin

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

The apperance was a cloudy gold, a huge head came forth and was there even at the end,more bubbles than a warm champagne cereal hoppy aroma, very hoppy appleish taste, didn't seem as good as I remember although it might have been to cold, because it did seem to get better at the end.

10-06-2003 23:55:36 | More by grynder33
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

One of my favorites so excuse me while I gush...

Pour a hazy, bright pale gold. Head grows enormously and deliciously during the pour. Pure white with lots and lots of lace. Smell is floral and lemony. Very complex aromas. Light hops, light malt. Hints of apple and yeasty spice.

Sweet nectar...tastes bitter up front fading to light sweetness. Crisp sweet apple flavors. Light and smooth with a bit of warming from the alcohol. Light bodied with a nice hoppy aftertaste. Very complex and very strong and tasty ale.

A true king of beers but incredibly drinkable even with the strong ABV. If only I could afford to drink it on a regular basis, I certainly would.

10-02-2003 23:30:21 | More by ViveLaChouffe
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Golden ale with one very nice head that stayed on top of brew for a few minutes. Quite refreshing with the right amount of spice. Alcohol taste is not too distinct. I could drink this one very often. I find a ressemblance in the malts to the one Unibroue use for their beers.

09-29-2003 14:49:32 | More by Phyl21ca