Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,179 | Reviews: 2,704
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: Sunny yellow color and a fluffy head.
Smell: Hops, malt, and that unique Belgian freshness.
Taste: A little lighter than I expected but still very good. This may be the most balanced Belgian I've ever had.An excellent taste overall.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and well carbonated.
Drinkability: Not a bad session brew if you can tolerate the 8.5 ABV.

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

At first I thought this beer was all hype. I couldn't have been more wrong. Wow, what a great beer. I am beginning to love Belgian Strong Pale Ales. It pours a cloudy lemon yellow color and has a thick white head that leaves a ton of lace in my glass. It has a fruity, yeasty aroma and a very yeasty fruity flavor. Very well balanced and definitely world. If only it was a bit cheaper. I could go broke drinking this bier.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

I stumbled--luckily--onto a 4-pack (330 ml) with Duvel tulip at the local craft outlet (Mug & Chalice, Chesterfield, VA).

Pours as advertised. Cloudy yellow, large foamy suds-like head that stayed put. Column of bubbles erupted from the "etched-D" at the bottom of the glass until I consumed the whole thing. Tres cool.

This smelled very much like the Hennepin from the Moortgat-operated Ommegang. Yeasty, floral, citrus-rind.

The taste was immediately malty and hoppy: is that what bittersweet means? This alternates between tasting like a lager, an ale, a saison...I can't keep up.

The mouthfeel was not as full and creamy as I had hoped, given the size of the head on this drink. But it was consistent from start to finish. Perhaps the hops asserted themselves too early, but then the malt comes through. This beer gives you everything at once and it is up to your brain to figure it out.

Now, given the 8.5% abv, this should have some alcohol kick. I tasted none of it. I felt it around the 11th ounce. This beer is scarily easy to drink. I will not consume this if I have to drive because I don't think I could limit myself to one or two.

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%

Got the four-pack-with-glass, a great idea in my book. This beer is simply beautiful with the proper pour, which I was nervous about trying, but it was surprisingly easy. Looks like it should--beautiful almost-cloudy golden, with gorgeous big bubbles in the carbonation and a soft, pillowy, cloudlike head. Smells like a Czech Pils, which was scary, but the nose changes when the head is disturbed (like in drinking). Hops, citrus? Orange rind.

What a mouthfeel! Lively and smooth, exactly how it should be. Tastes good, not too many specifics that I can pinpoint, but generally floral, mild orange, hops, and some light esthers. Damn I love this glass. Just beautiful all the way through; amazing lacing and the head is determined.

3.74/5  rDev -12%

(330 ml bottle, white label, "best before 09 2007")

Ah... this is my first "evil" beer. Duvel may be a mass produced beer, but this beer is still proof that a big brewery can still be considered a "craft" brewery. This beer might not be everyone's cup of tea, and I myself probably wouldn't make this beer a regular habit, but this is definitely a must try for anyone who considers themselves a serious beer drinker.

Duvel pours a deceptive gold color, to which the uninitiated might confuse it with a standard fizzy yellow beer. When poured in the Duvel glass, the head is gargantuan, and a flurry of bubbles are visible within the golden liquid. The foam retains extremely well and leaves some nice sticky lace. The aroma had some light sweetness, spiciness, and yeastiness to it. As it warmed, the smell become increasingly more spicy. The bubbly mouthfeel hits the tongue and "stings" it slightly, and combined with the alcoholic warmth this beer feels a bit "hot." The flavor has some light sweetness and fruitiness, but the main flavor includes a huge spicy and peppery flavor. The alcohol does show up a bit in the flavor as well. The overall flavor combined with the hops make the finish drying and bitter. In the aftertaste, the dryness/bitterness linger on with a green apple-like fruitiness accompanying it. Further on (about 5 minutes later), a herbal/tea like aftertaste arrived. I was tasting this beer well after I finished off the glass. The beer concludes with a nice warming sensation.

This is a beautiful looking brew with a unique taste that is surprisingly easy to drink. I didn't know what to think of it at first, but the taste grew on me (I would say it improved as the beer grew warmer). A classic.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

From a 750mL bottle. $7.49 at the grocer.

Pours a golden color with a massive, and yes, I do mean massive white head that simply will not go away, and leaves a nice lacing on the glass. A slight fruity, golden raisin with slight spice and lemon aroma. The taste is of multiple fruits (but not overbearing or overpowering) with some citrus and bannanas, and a great balance of spicy hops and a wonderful bitterness. It fills the mouth perfectly, without being too heavy; you can <barely> feel the extent of the alcohol as you swallow- you really get the perfect amount of bite in this. Even though in terms of alcohol I've definitely hit my limit, I desperately want another one IMMEDIATELY.

Overall, one of the most perfect beers I've ever had. Really, it's so fantastic, that I can't explain strongly enough how wonderful it is. There's really very little that I can complain about with this one.

Also, as a 'side- tip,' make sure that you get some of the yeast from the bottle in your glass. It really does enhance the flavor wonderfully in this one.

2.36/5  rDev -44.5%

I really feel bad saying this, but this beer kinda sucked. The flavor of it was pretty disgusting... tasted almost like a bad witbier. Something about this just turned me off completely. I'm highly dissapointed, given that this is such a "classic" beer. Well... cheers, anways.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Pours a lovely orange/gold with a large, sudsy head.

Aroma is full of sweet fruits, mostly apple, yeast and brief alcohol notes.

Absolutely delicious, medium bodied with plenty of soft carbonation. Belgian yeast flavors show up along with a sour sweetness and a bit of an apple-fruity taste. The alcohol is felt if not really tasted, and a bit of Chardonnay or champagne flavors flash in the finish.

Delicious Belgian pale, quickly becoming a preferred style.

Poured in a Duvel glass, clear with a slight haze, true blond in color, four inch head that laced the glass, and plenty of centro-carbonation action. The yeast at the bottom of the bottle is not evident in the Duvel glass.
Smell is similar to a light nutty wheat malt with light/medium flowery and spruce lemon/lime hops.
The taste is a sweet solid, moderate, and nutty wheat malt; moderate herbal, spruce, grapefruit, and lemon/lime hops; a light doughy and nutty yeast; and a sweet finish with hints of white wine or champagne, butterscotch, and possibly vanilla.
The mouthfeel is a light/medium body, dry texture, soft/lively carbonation, with a slightly metallic finish.
The drinkability is great for this type of beer some of the sweetness will limit this from being any type of session beer.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Very impressive head. Rocky white and all sizes of bubbles. Great retention and lace, good carbonation. Body is a cloudy sun-yellow.
Strong fruits and sugar make up the clean and pure nose of this brew.
Taste is massively sweet and spiced applepie and pear, yet somehow it does not seem unbalanced at all. Aftertaste could linger abit longer but still very good. Alcohol comes through mostly up front and lends it's warmth to the drinker.
Very good mouthfeel, full and with substance but not soo much as to enter the realm of stouts and porters.
Yes I want another but mind the abv, it will kick your ass if not respected.

-Oelergud

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

I have awoken late at night, from a terrible nightmare, in the past. I dreamt that Duvel could no longer be imported to the US. WOW, what an awful dream, just plain awful. This beer is almost indescribable. It seduces you with fruity and spicy aromas and flavors, yet every drink begs another, until the 4 pack that you bought is gone. And, of course you're incapacitated on the floor from the 8.5 ABV. Think of a heavy bodied beer, how it tastes/feels, then somehow make it as easy to drink as iced tea. Amazing, but be careful, your wallet and your liver do pay the price!

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%

Drank this after sharing some Kwak at a Christmas party, what a difference! Pours a hazy straw color with a big puff of pure white head. Enticing aromas of fresh bread, yeasty must, cloves, banana, and cotton candy. Oohh baby, this is good! Doughy malts, yeast, clove and pepper, banana, yellow raisens, and rock candy. Sweet without tasting sugary. Quite complex and warming, alcohol not obvious. Light to medium bodied with a tight, bubbly mouthfeel. Very well done, it makes the Kwak look like an amature offering. More please!

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

The Devil,huh ? Well come on in.This belgian poured a bright clear gold with a wonderfully foamy head that left heavy lacing all the way down,The champagne -like carbonation was a definite plus.This looked just beautiful sitting there in my goblet.Both aroma and flavor were subtley citrucy and spicy with slight hints of clove and banana.Overall, full bodied and extremely smooth.This one is definitely a keeper.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Happy Christmas to me. I found a 750 ml bottle of this for sale at Eagle River Liquors in Fulton, Illinois, right in time for Christmas Eve dinner. Ho ho ho.

Sunshine colored. Cloudy. Pretty, blank white head. Very nice.

It smells like candy fruit, only not in the too-sweet icky way that candy fruit can smell. This is old, like grandma's candy jar. Fizzy yeast that tickle the nose. Nice

Bit hit of fruity yeast upfront. Nice. Followed by a really juicy citrus BANG that is from either the malt or the hop--I can't tell. There is a really nice alcohol dryness at the end.

The mouthfeel is what takes the cake. It's like I'm tasting the stars. Or wait--that's a bit of a trite simile. It's umm, like, what that kid whose stomach exploded from mixing coke and pop rocks must have felt like before the horrible pain of an exploding organ kicked in. Fabulous.

Despite the high alcohol content, I should have no problem finishing off this bottle.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

12/22/04- Purchased at Piazza's Market in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- Small stubby 11.2 oz bottle with no freshness date. Poured into my Duvel glass.

Appearance- Cloudy golden coloring, huge foamy at first, then creamy head, above average lacing throughout.

Smell- Mostly some sweet fruit scents. Maybe a tad bit of alcohol. A nice mouthwatering smell.

Taste- Very sweet and sugary fruitiness. Some bitter hops and a light tinge of medicinal alcohol.

Mouthfeel- This is one damn carbonated beer. Way to much for me. Took me about an hour to suck down this bottle, which was good because the taste came out a bit more as the carbonation went down.

Drinkability- If I let this one sit for an hour before drinking it would have been better. The carbonation is about the only drawback in this beer for me. Otherwise it would be one of my top 10 probably. Very tasty.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I must recommend that you have the proper glassware for this one, otherwise you are in for a difficult pour. Pours a clear golden into the Duvel glass with half the glass being a fluffy, pillowy, meringue-like head that gets thicker with time and laces like nobody's business. Smells slightly sour and clovey. Taste was a spicey light malt with a long dry finish, very complex, sometimes varying with the bottle. Mouthfeel was rather smooth and dry. The high ABV is very well hidden. This is a very good and easy to find beer, and quite an experience visually. I must find a Duvel glass for home use.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Sin in a glass. Anything this good must be sinful and will send you straight to hell. And I don't care. Sending me to hell is worth it for this magnificent brew. Poured into a large sniffter, this beer appears to be clear. It's a golden honey, clear colour. But no, that's an optical illusion. It appears clear, but it's actually quite cloudy. I couldn't see through the glass like I thought I could. Large, puffy, five finger head that ever so slowly settles down to three. Lace abounds the glass like etched artwork. I wonder, how can this look any better? Simply put, it can't. Such a delicate aroma. Spices, peppers, sweet and pale malts, juicy apples, ripe pears, and an almost juicy hop bitterness. Tastes just as good as it smells. Starts out with a bready maltiness, mingled with a pepper and spice taste that tingles the tongue. Middle is very fruity. Dry apples, pears, and just a touch of sourness. Citrus maybe? Leaves with a spicy bitterness, with still a bit of sweet and juicy fruit. Damn, what a mouthfeel. Smooth, thick and creamy. Excellent drinkability. Can be savoured and quaffed. An excellent thirst quencher as well. A beer worthy of respect. If ever I find an LCBO that stocks this, I'll pick up every damned bottle they have.

3.79/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured out a light golden color,,man is this stuff carbonated.Major head and i poured it slowly,,unbelievable amount of carbonation coming up the glass.Smell is sweet,,nothing outstanding.Taste is remarkably light but pleasant considering its alcohol content.Nice mouthfeel.Overall a nice beer,ill have to get a true tulip and re-review.Major lacing thruout the glass still present as i finish the beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

330 ml bottle. Pours a clear golden color with a huge foamy white head that just fits into my Duvel glass. Clumps of lace left on the side of the glass. Constant flow of bubbles from the D etched into the bottom. Malty aroma with lemon and grass. Big, sweet malty flavor. Finishes crisp and hoppy. High level of carbonation. The 8.5% alcohol is well hidden. One of the first good beers I tried, and one I still often come back to.

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

One of the pioneers of classic beers of belgium is Duvel and for me one of the best too! What a wonderfull and everlasting foam, great colour and that together with a wonderfull nose make this beer great without even tasting it. Nose is most hops& malt and hardly any yeastsmell. Nice and clean taste wich is mostly malt with a nice dry aftertaste of fine hops. One that I go for and I would recomend to relax and just enjoy the great taste that beer can have

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from the 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. A nice, slightly cloudy golden hue with a frothy, stark white head that's going nowhere fast. The head also seemingly defies the laws of physics - it sits unevenly on the beer, asymmetrically dipping into the beer around the rim. Tough to explain, but it really doesn't look like something that should occur in normal gravity.
Beautiful, near-perfect aroma of muscadine grapes, pears, Belgian yeast, and a whiff of alcohol. Taste is a little understated. Like a typical Belgian blonde, the palate is dominated by yeast, a touch of light malt, and a fleeting sweetness on the finish. Mouthfeel is a little foamy. Still, very drinkable. A wonderful Belgian ale.

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

Picked up a 11.2 oz bottle at Papago Brewing for $2.25.

This brew poured a huge head that is a cloudy golden color. The head is left behind quite distinctly on my glass. Smell is of sweet malts. Taste is heaven on earth! A seamless blend of malts, hops, and an unnoticeable high ABV creates one spectacular beer! It is very lively on the palate and very fulfilling for a golden ale. Despite the high ABV one can sip this thing of perfection all night long! Talk about your value beers, this is one of the most complete beers I have had for an outstanding price!

I first had Duvel years ago after a store owner told me about it. I have to admit I was intrigued by the high alcohol at first. The taste was so far out there and unique I loved it immediately. I dont have regular access to it so when I saw the gift pack of 4 bottles and a glass I jumped on it.

Pours a gorgeous golden color with a head so thick you need a spoon. You could even float a bottle cap on it Jim Koch!!! Great lacing all the way down the glass. If it wasnt for the huge head I would think BUD-really!!!

Wonderful aroma. Sulphury. Phenolic. Earthy. Woody. Spicy. Extremely complex. Black pepper essence.

Extremely citrusy flavor. Spicy notes. Yeasty. Malty with a tart finish.

Body is extremely complex as well. The beer is very "bright" on the tongue. Somewhat sweet at first but dries out quickly.

An amazing brew. My first all 5s. I have had this over the years and it ranged from "eh" to wow!!! This is a great beer all around. I wish I could find it more often. Truely a classic.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

Little stubby bottle foamed like a rabid dog upon opening. Poured it into the glass and came out with a nice pale yellow that resembles a witbier. Tons of white head that leaves good lacing and doesn't go away.

Smell is not overpowering and slightly sweet. Fruity smell of apple cider and fresh apple peel with a bit of grain.

Taste was clean, crisp, and refreshing. No trace of the 8.5% abv anywhere around and not overtly bitter or sour, slightly swet.

Mouth is amazing. Rich, creamy, and well carbonated. goes down smooth as silk.

If not for the 8.5% abv, this would be awesome for extended sessions.

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a pale golden color with a huge head that stays forever. The lacing stuck to the entire glass for the duration. The head looks like a fluffy cloud after the beer sits a while, nice.

Smell is of wheat, banana, yeast and slight alcohol.

Taste is very nice, clove, banana, lemon, yeasty, with a slight bitter, dry, hop finish. My,my,my this is lovely.

Mouthfell is great smooth, velvety, (did I say the most smooth and refreshing beer ever) medium bodied with excelent carbination, small bubbles.

Drinkability is incredible, I could put these away all night. The alcohol is nicely balanced with the malt and hops.

This is the best example of this style that I have tried. Duvel is smooth and deceiving. This beer will sneak up on you and kick you in the arse. It is sooo smooth and tasty, you won't notice the alcohol until the Duvel boot is planted forcefully on your backside.

Great, Great Beer!!!!