1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,783 | Reviews: 2,550 | Show All Ratings:
86MonteSS

Connecticut

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer must be the very definition of "Belgian ale." It has all of the best qualities of Belgian ales in the most perfect proportions, including the fluffiest God diggidy head I ever saw. It has everything you could possibly want in a Belgian ale, and it's virtually impossible to ask for more. The Belgians can craft better brews, but as meat-and-potatoes belgian ales go, this has to be the best.

08-09-2003 05:21:15 | More by 86MonteSS
RoyalT

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Very light colored (yellow) for a BSPA. The head is monstrous even with a conservative pour. I emptied the bottle in my glass, went upstairs to watch the top half of a Mariner’s inning, came back downstairs, and it was still there.

Smell – A complex aroma. I can pick up some fruit, malt, and yeast. Pleasant.

Taste – The light appearance is deceptive. This is a heavy hitter, and it’s not just malt, yeast, and light fruit. You have to wait for it, but there’s nice spicy bitterness and even some evident hops past the crest of the standard BSPA flavors.

Not to go overboard, but this is a good brew. It is fun and complex. I know that it is sold at thousands of grocery stores around the country and I may sound like a bumpkin for belaboring the point, but The Devil is very interesting indeed. I have often dismissed it myself in the past (thinking of it in the 3.0 or 3.5 area), until I actually sat down and took some time with it for the review.

Mouthfeel – Again, this is right on. Well carbonated and smooth.

Drinkability – The bottle didn’t even make it to the end of the review. So what if half the Bud-drinking losers you know have it in their fridge's – it’s great!

Comments – I really developed an appreciation and respect for this beer after taking my time with it. This is well done.

PS: Large amounts of sediment that I'm not supposed to drink - but I do.

Update: A sampling of this in 2004 shows amazing consistancy. After sporting a gorgeous appearance from several different bottles I’m upping this rating by 0.5.

08-08-2003 00:40:39 | More by RoyalT
woemad

Washington

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

A wonderful beer. Had this last night for the first time after getting off work around 11:30PM. What a way to end the day! Reminded me of champagne. A very foamy white head, lots of carbonation. Poured a straw color into my Chimay goblet (so I don't have a Duvel glass - sue me!). Scents of sweet fruits and honey. Taste of honey and bananas, and a nice crisp zap of hoppiness that keeps it from being too cloying. Definitely did not notice the high amount of alcohol, so this would probably have led me to dance in the middle of the street if I had a large supply of them on hand. I'll have to get my wine snob old man to drink this as part of my ongoing campaign to get him to respect beer.

08-02-2003 20:53:34 | More by woemad
nkmu

4.43/5  rDev +4%

I had a glorious 750mL bottle all to myself several nights ago, and I now have a new favorite. One thing that struck me most about this beer was the perfect level of carbonation-- I can't really explain it, but I want--nay, need!-- to feel it again. The main taste to me was of fruit, specifically apples. Maybe that's just me though...

I was raving to my girlfriend about the beer, and told her i could think of nothing i wanted to do more than sit in a dark, silent room while drinking a bottle of Duvel. she suggested something she could do to me in that room that would improve the experience-- yep, it's still my wildest *beer* fantasy. time to make the 45 minute trip it takes to buy more!

08-01-2003 18:38:21 | More by nkmu
Sixpack595

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While not quite as pretty as Orval I think it tastes quite a bit better. With chunky white head, clear straw coloring, and a faint, slightly spicy aroma this beer still presents it's self very well. Very crisp with a slight spiciness and a bit of bitterness. Not as sweet as I expected, and very, very drinkable. I found it a much better beer as it warmed, or it could just be the 750ml bottle of 8.5% goodness warming me...either way its a winner!

07-30-2003 05:11:14 | More by Sixpack595
far333

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Reminds me of champagne almost from start to finish. The fizzy white head quickly recedes down to the top of the slightly hazy honey/straw colored beer. Nose is sweet, a bit fruity, with hints of honey. Flavor is also sweet, with hints of honey and candy. Mouthfeel is crisp, a bit tingly. Average drinkability due to sweetness and carbonation.

07-30-2003 02:32:10 | More by far333
BobLuvBeer

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours with a 1” head, Full carbonation and cloudy, yellowish color. Very light in taste, with a bite of hops. Carbonation almost explodes in mouth on first sip. Head remains throughout glass. Strong hop presence. Beer practically floats off the tongue and hops grab onto the sides of cheeks and the flavor lingers there. Excellent amount of lace. As beer warms and settles, hop flavor mellows and the beer seems to thicken up and gains a citrus finish.

07-30-2003 02:02:43 | More by BobLuvBeer
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a sweet looking 330 ml brown bottle, best before date May 2006. Looks like heaven in a glass, slightly hazed golden hue, massive amount of carbonation action (more fun than watching sea monkeys), and a massive chunky white head that stayed all of the way and left some serious lacing. Light citrus aroma, some coriander, a bit of hay. Flavour is very light and subtle at first, considering that this is 8.5% abv, but it all seems to come out in the finish and linger, mostly citrus tones lightly surrounded by spice. Very smooth mouthfeel, deceiving, as the angel on my one shoulder says to stop at one, but the devil on the other side says to go hog wild. This is very, very, very fine ale, all the hype was true.

07-29-2003 22:32:11 | More by IronDjinn
WesWes

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

The beer pours a light golden color with a frothy white head that lasts. The nose is fruity with belgian spices. There is a banana smell and a hint of corriander. The taste is good; again with the spices and the fruitiness. This is a good Belgian ale straight from the heart of Belgium. The mouthfeel is a bit too intense. The carbonation reminds me of a few bottle conditioned homebrews that went wrong. The beer is light bodied. It is a good drinking beer and one that I would love to enjoy again, although Ommegang's Hennepin is better.

07-28-2003 00:32:11 | More by WesWes
euskera

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

750 ML bomber..

Nice woosh when you pop open the cork. Pours our a murky golden blond with one hell of a head, almost cotton candy like. Smell is fruity malt, with apple overtones. Stunningly drinkable, nice medium body with the fruit overtones. This is what a light bodied ale should taste like. I would drink this any day of the week..

07-27-2003 15:23:38 | More by euskera
Rumrunner

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

11.2 oz. bottle

Pours a very unclear light straw color. A big head which dissipates some but stays until the end. The scent is very green tangy apple. There is some slight pepper and spice as well.

The flavor is strong green apple. There is a slight grassy flavor as well. Very tangy and finishes with a very dry crispsness. A very champagne like finish.

It is smooth with a tiny bite. A very crisp feel in the mouth. Refreshing. A quality ale for a hot day.

07-27-2003 08:40:01 | More by Rumrunner
TheDM

Indiana

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

This brew poured an extremely invigorated head of long lasting finely sized white bubbles with an excellent lacing and a cloudy wheat yellow colored body. It has a very mild malt-hop aroma and a flavor of fizzy banana clove and bread. It is a very smooth brew and hides its alcohol content well.

07-20-2003 18:18:21 | More by TheDM
barleypop

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

I am sure glad I finally got around to trying this one. This is my definite favorite in its style.

The beer rushes to life as you unleash it from the bottle. Once slowly poured, it shows a thick dense head with a golden orange colored body.

The nose is very fruity. Most prevalent to my sniffer was an aroma of lemon,banana and spice.

The fruit comes alive on your tongue with agressive hops and carbonation. Very velvety on the tongue. Excellent finish. I enjoyed this one with a sharp cheddar and it was a nice combination. I can't wait to try this one on tap. Truly a special ale.

07-18-2003 19:27:52 | More by barleypop
granger10

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

I'm sorry, I know this is supposed to be a great beer but I just did not care for it too much. The head on the pour was too much for me to handle, out of control. At each taste it felt like the beer was turning to foam in my mouth. Because of that mouthfeel dropped. The taste was of a complex fruit sweetness that I did enjoy but nothing special. The balance was not there and the finish seemed too yeasty to me. Give me a Maudite any day over this.

07-05-2003 05:19:15 | More by granger10
vitesse

Georgia

served in the famous little 12 oz. black stubby bottle...
this beer lived up to every bit of the hype. truly a world class beer. maybe the single greatest all-around beer i've ever tasted. every bit deserving of its huge reputation.
perfectly complex and balanced belgian beer flavor. balances sweetness and acidity perfectly. beautiful pale golden color and great thick fluffy head. lots of lace on the glass.
just perfect. worth every cent.

06-30-2003 12:12:47 | More by vitesse
GreatPondBrewer

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

My 100th review. I feel like I am losing my virginity. Forever I will now be branded with a mug, but enough of me lamenting my aging this beer deserves my full attention. I can mope later.

I chose this beer because the first real piece of glass I got was a duvel tulip glass, and now it can finally be put to its proper use. Housing an enrmous head. This head looked like someone had taking a can of whipped cream and just unloaded it into my glass. However, below the frothy, white clouds lay a beautiful straw colored liquid. As the head finally receded it left some of the largest lace I have ever seen. There were huge rings of it all down my glass and it was rocky and bubbly like soap suds.

The smell was of delicate malts that reminded me much of a white wine. Dry and sharp with just a hint of fruity honey. There was just a touch of the yeast to add a more earthy smell.

Tasting this was quite a sensation. It was crisp and refreshing, but it was not overly light by any means. The barest bit of hops and carbonation hit the front of my palette while a malty, bready taste full of honey and green raisins. The final third of the taste was just a little peppery displaying the 8.5%ABV quite nicely as it flowed down my throat. The aftertaste was suprisingly not dry but watering. What an interesting beer.

The mouthfeel was very much like a chardonnay or dryer white wine.

(There is still lace stuck to the top of my glass!)

Overall this is a great beer that I will never turn down. It is light, but at the same time full bodied. It is crisp and refreshing enough to drink on a hot summer day such as this, yet I could easily drink a couple of these on a frosty autumn night. I now join the ranks of true BAs.

06-25-2003 19:43:04 | More by GreatPondBrewer
Realale

Missouri

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Pour a full clear gold, with a huge bright white head composed of very large bubbles. The head settles slowly to a rocky, incomplete 3/4" cap.

Nose is subtle. Some base bready maltiness, a touch of yeast, and a bit of phenol.

Midweight in the mouth, with a nice round malty feel. It is simply full of malt, and quite yeasty, despite a clean pour. The malt becomes bigger, and the beer more complex as it warms closer to cellar temperature, than fridge temperature. Some earthiness appears, as well as some spiciness. Great soft, fine carbonation from the bottle-conditioning adds a lot of character.

It is a subtle beer, but that can be a very nice thing, as it is here. Small bottle. Best before date of April, 2004.

06-23-2003 08:48:55 | More by Realale
Jables

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

incredible drinkablitility light, yet strong. The flavor is balanced but the abv is high enough to have you singing by early early evening. This review is from notes. The nose is malty yet I can slightly smell the aromatic hops. The taste is sharp and yeasty , the prototytpical belgian strong ale, but witth hops to boot. The flavor is even and balanced yet strong enough to beat an average beer to a bloody pulp.

06-21-2003 00:49:58 | More by Jables
jcalabre

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

Originally sampled on 12 October 2002. This review is from my notes. I was underwhelmed by this beer. Pours w/ a big frothy white head; opaque golden color; I really thought that this would be a Grand Cru style of beer. It really wasn't anything special. The taste didn't do much for me.

06-19-2003 13:59:46 | More by jcalabre
taez555

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The infamous Duvel. Pronounced Do vull, not Do vell. Flemish not french.

tasted it out of an 11.2oz bottle. It poured a HUGE white head with large bubbles that just sat unmoved for several minutes. The body was a bright golden translucent yellow.

The smell of this beer was amazing. A full yeasty smell with a beautiful pear aroma. Almost reminisant of some german weis beers. Lots of fruit and soft spice hints.

The taste of this beer is amazing. Very easy drinking. Waves of flavor. Starting with soft chewy pear and apple fruit flavors, followed by subtle earthy hop aromas that blended well with the fruits. It then finishes with the reemergence of the fruit flavors and lingers off onto the soft bitterness. Almost reminding me of soft melted butter.

This beer is really the epitome of Belgian triples. No wonder it's one of Belgiums biggest selling beers. So complex and yet so light and easy drinking at the same time. It's amazing this beer is 8.5% alcohol. It sneaks up on you slowly, but you'd never notice it while drinking it. An amazing beer.

06-12-2003 01:59:50 | More by taez555
BierReise

Nice looking golden ale with a head white as snow. Interesting aroma, like another rater said almost a buttery aroma. Very smooth and drinkable despite the unnoticable high abv. I've never had this one before but it reminds me of the Urthel I had recently. I also taste a blend of fruit but nothing leaping out at me. This ale gives me a very relaxing feeling and I can see why some have such an affinity for it.

06-03-2003 16:12:58 | More by BierReise
beergeek279

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Served from 330 mL bottle. Color poured a pale yellow with a good amount of head. The smell was that of fruit, with a bit of alcohol to it. The taste is fairly dry, almost like brut champagne, and the alcohol is somewhat detectable, but not overwhelming. The mouthfeel is fairly carbonated, with hints of alcohol. As for drinkability, I could drink these as long as I could hold out :) I had heard many good things about Duvel, and having tried it I have to say I heartily agree! Along with its darker cousin Maredsous, this is certainly one of my favorite Belgians!

05-30-2003 20:34:09 | More by beergeek279
assurbanipaul

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

This has always been one of my greatest faves, a fact I've often regretted the next morning. Pours into a thick, sturdy head that takes its time dissipating and leaves good lacing on the sides.

Cloudy in appearance yet bright, clean and crisp in taste. It has a strong and clear nose, sharp, yeasty with a very light citrus. A testament to brewing skill when a brew has an alcohol content this high and you aren't overwhelmed. Sneaks up on you, though.

05-28-2003 21:48:06 | More by assurbanipaul
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +4%

I had the Duvel in a 11.2oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. Despite pouring it very slowly, there is still a good 2.5 fingers of fluffy head. The head dies down to about 1.5 fingers, but that's it. There is also a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The color is a pale orange-yellow that is slightly cloudy. The smell is very fruity, mostly banana and citrus. It is very pleasant. The taste is a great blend of fruit, spices, and alcohol. It isn't overly sweet though, there is a good malt/hops balance. The beer has a great strong mouthfeel to it. The drinkability is just a little lower, because the alcohol doesn't seem to be masked, as in other stong ales.

05-24-2003 20:48:02 | More by SheepNutz
hotstuff

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

This brew poured an extremely large white foamy head. It left an excellent lacing on the sides of my mug. It was observed to have a yellow in body. It also had a cloudy appearance to it. It had a flavor of clove. This was a smooth tasting brew in my opinion.

05-23-2003 06:13:40 | More by hotstuff