Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,664 | Hads: 7,255
4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

this is the blackmetal beer, so put on your closest darkthrone record and crack this open. this pours pale/cloudy with a big pillow head. its smells mouth watering, pepper, spice, light lemon rind. the taste is a mix of malt, big spice, pepper and lemon all comming together in the most delightful of ways. crisp with big carbonation makes the mouth tingle and it all finishes on a dry note. damn smooth drinkin and big on the alcohol. i really like this. and when i pour it into a chalice it goes great with my gauntlets. (i kid)

paid $6.99 for a 750ml. (557 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Duvel

Re-reviewed 12-17-08
(Originally reviewed 11-14-03)

A- Bright cloudy orange with a thick billowy head. Good chunky lacing down the glass.
S- Sweet light lemon with hints of toasted grains and hay/straw.
T- Tart lemon and orange rind with a mild hay/straw grain malt.
M- Slightly tart with a citric bite. Sugary sweet with a sour dry finish.

Overall- Worthy of a pint or 2. Nothing spectacular here.

(I re-reviewed this beer so any fellow BA'ers won't question my "connoisseur" status.)
:) sarcasm. (509 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a champagne yellow with a big billowy white head. very nice lacing and retention. Smells strongly of grass, lemon citrus, and yeast. The smell makes me weary that it will be overly-hoppy.

My fears are allayed upon the first sip. Clove, bannana, apple, and pear come through in a very soft and clean wave. The taste just seems to ebb away to a subtly dry finish. If it wasn't for the 8.5% ABV, you could drink this all night. Can't emphisize enough how clean and finished this beer is. (493 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -5.4%

in the netherlands, this stuff is in every bar you go to. if we here in us should be so lucky. poured into the proper duvel glass, hazy golden with a *massive* creamy white head. streaming carbonation. so pretty i almost don't want to drink it.

almost.

lively carbonation. peppery sweetness, balanced by earthy "european" hops. flavor and mouthfeel deepens as it warms. the most quaffable 8.5% beer i've ever drank. narcoticly boozy. just great stuff. even though i've had it on occasion in the us, it will always remind me of my first trip to europe. fantastic stuff. (574 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

750ml bottle that I enjoyed in my office after a long day of work. Golden yellow in color with a huge fluffy white head that lasts for a long time. Laces very nicely. Extremely effervesant which leads to it being very explosive in the mouth. The smell is sweet, citrus, must, yeast, bready with a hint of malt.

The aftertaste has a bit of bitterness. Very warming towards the end where the alcohol starts to come through. I enjoyed this beer very much but don't think I will go for it all the time. (501 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

Ahhhh, devil beer.

Nice golden color, thick head with great holding power. Perhaps the head of all heads, it's an amazing, white fluffy cloud on top of a beer. Cascading bubbles.

The aroma is intoxicating, almost literally. Fruit (apples?), malt and alchohol with a touch of floral undertones.

Wow, does this beer taste good! Those Belgians know their stuff and this beer proves it. Slightly fruity, malty, just the right amount of hops. Dry finish with subtle undertones. This dude means business.

Creamy and crisp on the palate.

I could drink a lot of this but with an abv of 8.5% it's pretty sneaky.

One of the best beers. (644 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

This is a very strong, warming beer, but it is very drinkable.

Since my homebrewing days, I have always decanted live beers into a jug before pouring into the glass, so as to avoid disturbing the sediment. For me, this help reduce carbonation a little, to a degree that pleases me. Done this way, Duvel is crystal clear after just 2 days in the fridge.

OK, this is a classic, it's hard to get this strength in a balanced drinkable beer (unless you already appreciate strong treacley lagers such as Special brew/Elephant beer, and the Scottish super lagers). It has a very round taste, and for me the hops don't really appear. I assume they are there as a balance, but they don't really stand out compared to some of my other favourites. I agree, in a way the mouthfeel is a little like champagne (as mentioned in various reviews here), but since I drink more Duvel than champagne, I'd say it was the other way round!

Since it's so easy to find this beer, you should really try it out.

After reading another reviewer's comments about drinking it with a chilli, I may try it with a curry - although most Brits drink lagers with currys, I have heard recently from some Indians that red wines work well, so I guess a really heavy beer might also do the trick (1,268 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

Cloudy pale yellow with a meringue-like white head. Great lacing and even better retention when poured in the Duvel glass. Nose features aromas of herbal hops, yeast, mild spice, fruit and maybe a touch of candy sugar. Taste is complex, round, and quite enjoyable. The yeast character never strays far, while notes of passion fruit, apricot, sweet malt, candy sugar and spice lead to a zesty hop kick on the finish. Effervescent mouthfeel lends itself well to this beer's overall characteristics. Incredibly drinkable for an 8.5% ale, Duvel is something else. Truly a favorite, this is the beer that morphed me into a Belgian ale fan. Wonderful stuff and a must-try. I can't believe it took me so long to review this one.... (724 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours out a very light yellow wiht a massive massive fluffy white head. Smells quite dry, a little tough to discern certain things but alcohol was definetly present. Tastes slightly more hoppy in the front but wham then the malt hits you, the alcohol is present but hidden well for the most part. It almost has the mouthfeel of a sweet champagne, great beer. (358 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours golden with a huge white fluffy head. Sweet, peppery, spicy, but clean smelling nose. Very creamy, yet at the same time has a crazy crisp mouthfeel. Almost like champagne. Starts rather bitter, but ends with malt sweetness. Minor fruitiness. Dry aftertaste. This is good stuff, and I can really appreciate it, but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me. (365 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm a relative newcomer to beligian strong ales, but one encounter with this beauty was all it took to hook me. I ordered it at the Other Side Cafe in boston with a bowl of chili and was in heaven.

The huge head caught me off guard, but the duvel glass allowed the beer to be drunk without me ending up with a face full of foam. The little "tornado" of bubbles from the base of the glass is great, too.

This beer feels like champagne in the mouth- nice tight carbonation. The floral, hoppy flavors show little of the high alcohol content of this "devil". Since my first encounter I have been seeking this beer out whenever and wherever possible- what more could a brewery hope for? (689 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

First thing that strikes me about this beer is how easily drinkable it is...I cracked this bottle anticipating a slow sipping beer, and boy was I wrong...sure this is made for sipping but it slides down way too easy for its strength...Almost thirst quenching while also being sweet and tasty..

pours a bright yellow....white lace rims the glass as you drink....pretty charged up....First impression on the nose was a skunkiness...then it became more noticable as a peppery/spicy smell...Body is on the high side of medium...highly carbonated... but easily drinkable....flavors are sweet at first...nice Belgian malt profile...also some lemony flavors...the spicy characteristics noted on the nose are less noticable on the taste...very small....

This is an excellent beer and a true treat....unfortunately I just about had to take out a second mortage to buy this bottle so I don't see drinking it regularly....It would be a nice treat now and then but to be honest I'd prefer a belgian that is more of a sipper....this slides down too easy for the $$$ I invested...still this is a great beer I'd love to enjoy more of in the future... (1,141 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +9.8%

Spectacular! Served in a unique bubble necked bottle. Head is creamy, thick, condensing and everlasting. Color is a somewhat unattractive golden yellow, the only downside. Smells sweet and wheaty, and other indiscript pleasant aromas. One of the best tasting beers I've ever had, hints of malt, sugar, hoppy thickness. Carbonation stays with the flavor and enhances it. Aftertaste is much the same, but dies with a hint of wheat. Buy this when you see it! (455 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

They should have sent a poet. Nearly my favorite belgian to date. Billowy, ceaseless, virgin-white head. One it settles it leaves a pure lace on the glass. The color is absolutely golden. With yeast added, its opaque and brilliant when held up to light. The nose is very direct. Fine balance of belgian hops and malts, light fruitiness, more citrus than sweet. Spices present themselves, but not in memorable fashion. The mouthfeel is crisp and micro-bubbly, as much as any champange. It imposes itself and therefore detracts, on the flavor a bit. Tastes present are citrus malts, genuine Belgian hops, apple, and coriander. Even at 8.5% you have to search for alcohol flavor, which is dangerous if put in the wrong hands. A fine brew for nearly any night. For it's availability and price, it is a must-have. (808 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It’s so pretty. Poured out a golden yellow with a head that could support a beach umbrella. Bubbles danced on the sides of the glass try to get away from the alcohol. The aroma had yeast, citrus and alcohol. The taste was tart, yeasty and warming.

A definite wolf in sheep’s clothing. (289 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

The apperance was a cloudy gold, a huge head came forth and was there even at the end,more bubbles than a warm champagne cereal hoppy aroma, very hoppy appleish taste, didn't seem as good as I remember although it might have been to cold, because it did seem to get better at the end. (284 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

One of my favorites so excuse me while I gush...

Pour a hazy, bright pale gold. Head grows enormously and deliciously during the pour. Pure white with lots and lots of lace. Smell is floral and lemony. Very complex aromas. Light hops, light malt. Hints of apple and yeasty spice.

Sweet nectar...tastes bitter up front fading to light sweetness. Crisp sweet apple flavors. Light and smooth with a bit of warming from the alcohol. Light bodied with a nice hoppy aftertaste. Very complex and very strong and tasty ale.

A true king of beers but incredibly drinkable even with the strong ABV. If only I could afford to drink it on a regular basis, I certainly would. (670 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +1.6%

Golden ale with one very nice head that stayed on top of brew for a few minutes. Quite refreshing with the right amount of spice. Alcohol taste is not too distinct. I could drink this one very often. I find a ressemblance in the malts to the one Unibroue use for their beers. (275 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.9%

I had Duvel before and recalled being blown away by it. It was my first gold Belgian strong ale and I considered it my standard to rank all others of this style by.

Everything was right for this bottle to be a great beer experince. Fresh pallet, Thursday night - always a great night for amazing beer experinces, the proper authentic Duvel glass. All the stars were lined up.

The bottle hadn't been in my possession very long, but it must have been rather old. The beer was rather dull and fizzy. There were some interesting flavors, but they were very muted. It was good, very good, but not great. All in all a let down; this particular bottle anyway. (659 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Ugly visuals. In many ways, this doesn't look like beer. Weird cloudy yellow color, with a hint of green. Giant unpleasent bubbles. Smell's quite a bit better, however. Pure citrus all around. Interesting. The taste is much the same, pure fizzy citrusy beer. Hints of lime. But then, I suppose a lot of fruit once fermented could taste limey.

ABV of 8.5% however. By Hercules, that's some powerful stuff! Barely touched the bottle, and I already feel like I've been slugged. Strong pale ale? Damn right, it's strong. Careful with this stuff, but do try it! (559 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +1.6%

I got a taste of bitter orange in my glass. Belgian style sugar does not interfere with the taste, and there is a nice hoppy nose, too. That and a head that can rise above the edge of the glass like a meringue! I wanted my tasting of this beer to never end. (257 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -3%

Beer is bright gold and clear, basically looks like a good Pils. This one tries to jump out of the glass as it pours with a lively carbonation that creates a thick white long lasting head. The head is Meringue like in consistency. The beer smells sharp and slightly herbal and fruity, accompanied by a woodiness. Has a lightly sweet taste with a complex herbal aftertaste. Lightly bitter and hoppy. Leaves one with a soft maltiness in the finish. A very light beer that hides its alcoholic strength well. (504 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Well, what could I add to the prolific reviews already well known to those that have tried this amazing brew? Not much, actually. But what I can tell you is that if you enjoy a REALLY smooth, extremely well balanced strong ale that you can quaff down with unparalleled ease, then this is the one Belgian you cannot do without! Pudding like head, cloudy amber strong ale that is spicy, bitter and sweet all at once. Godly smoothness in the mouth, and a nice dry, semi-sweet finish. Liquid ambrosia! Buy or die. (509 characters)

Now Quaffing: Duvel Red

Presentation:
330ml stubby poured into goblet.

Initial pour was a perfectly clear gold with an agressive white head that fills the remainder of the glass. As I swirled the bottle and decanted the yeast sediments (which is my personal preference), liquid gold turned into hazy apricot. Aromas are sweet and spicy--bananas and cloves perhaps and there is some grain in there to hold it all together. The first sip is an arsenal of spicy fruit flavors with a nice bite from the carbonation and alcohol as if the beer is reminding you show respect where its due. Everything becomes extremely balanced and much more mellow as I take a few more sips, which is where the deception begins. This beer is 8.5% ABV, but the devil doesn't show its true identity until the goblet is drained. Very smooth and very drinkable, a must for any belgian lover. (872 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.5%

I poured the Duvel into a pint -- my goblets are dirty. Last I checked, the head was four inches. As I type, the beer is consuming itself, cobweb lacing down the side of the glass and a giant marshmallow formation in the center. This reminds me of being 12-years-old and wanting to shave so bad that one day I went into the bathroom while my dad was at work and lathered a can of shaving cream on my face.

I haven't touched the beer yet. I feel so unnecessary.

This would be nice in a flute; more effervescent than champagne. The head needs to be controlled (or paroled). It's like pouring from a tap that's gone haywire. And having to sit around for ten minutes while this thing settles sucks. Straw golden body like an American lager, hazy but a good deal of light comes through -- Los Angeles in June.

All hops on the nose -- spicy, cidery, sharp. Is this a Belgian or a Pilsner?

Tastes like a smoky hefe. Very clean, lagery, with mild gumball from the yeast and some alcoholic exhaust. The strong hop aroma is all but lost on the tongue with only a minor tang that immediately fades out. Sweet and malty (creamy indeed), but where's my Saaz? For a Belgian Strong Pale, not much going on here. A total wash-out.

What the hell? This thing is still bubbling.

Relax, relax.