Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

pDev: 12%
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

The beer poured a pale golden yellow with a huge white head that took quite a few minutes to settle.

The aroma was a wonderful bouquet of spicy Belgian yeast and fresh grainy malt.

The taste was warm and peppery with a smooth and moderate hop bitterness. The malt provided a creamy sweetness to balance out the spiciness and warmth from the high alcohol.

The mouthfeel was light considering the style and the carbonation was very high.

Many beers in this category have a tendency to be syrupy and cloyingly sweet. While Duvel is a "big beer" it manages to be complex and delicate at the same time. It is very drinkable and satisfyingly refreshing.

SacoDeToro, Jan 19, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So the first time I tried this I was a little disappointed. It didn't live up to the hype as I thought it would. But, it's been quite a while- so I'm giving it another shot. Here goes...

Pours a slightly hazy golden straw-like color with miles of white poofy head that leaves lovely lacing around the glass. The head won't stop! It grows and grows! Smell is malty and peppery- makes my nose twitch a little, actually. Lemon, lots of lemon. Spicy.

Taste is also lemony with a strong maltyness dominating. Some juicy fruityness and a hint of bitterness at the end. It's tasty, but... pale? I think is the right word. It just doesn't impress me like it should- the big WOW isn't there- it's just not flavorful enough.

Mouthfeel is lively and bubbley, smooth, a bit chewy, and crisp. Clean feeling. Overall a very drinkable brew- not overwhelming, and certainly easy to drink considering it's alcohol content. But it just doesn't do it for me like I'd like it to. I'd take La Fin or Delirium Tremens over this any day.

scooter231, Jan 16, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

I have been waiting forever to try this! I shall not let stellar reviews affect my opinion. Really cool 11.2 ounce stubby brown bottle. Fancy label, printed on good paper. hiyooo. This poured a gorgous pale gold color that kinda looks like a wheat beer, nice and hazy. Cool linear specific carbonation and some trippy yeast spots floating within(hey I tried to be careful!). The head is amazingly rocky and white. Very airy. I tasted the head and got stung by pepperiness! The smell is nice and spicy, citrus is there. Alcohol smell not kicking my ass though. And not in the taste either. The alcohol kinda there but not too intense. Some good hop bitterness here. The mouthfeel is sharp and stingy. This is clean and drinkable. Wish i had a bigger bottle than this stubby stubby.

kbnooshay, Jan 13, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750 mL bottle. Monster head. I don't mean to disrespect this great beer but, when I popped and poured, I was reminded of the old baking soda and vinegar days with a 2 liter plastic bottle . Just look at it the wrong way, and the head explodes. Goldenhoney colored, it hangs like gelatin in the glass when left to sit for a half hour; particles of carbonation or something else (yeast?) are suspended like grains of gold in amber.

Smells of alcohol, malt, yeast, apricots and spice. Tastes spicy and malty, like witbier, with apricot and a lingering mellow aftertaste of straw and apricots. Feels like a mimonsa in my mouth. Pleasantly viscous. I'll have another...for the rest of my life.

nathanho, Jan 11, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Got this one at BJ's brewhouse in Tucson. Served from the bottle in a tulip glass, this thing had massive carbonation and foam. The bubbles in this thing were huge. Very golden in color and very clear. Smell was lightly fruity and quite spicy. Flavors were not overpowering and it tasted somewhat fruity with hints of sour apple and citrus fruits, with a bit of the spiciness detected earlier in the aroma. There is a well rounded bitter finish to balance it out nicely. Mouthfeel is greatly carbonated, crisp, and not overly thin. The higher alcohol content is artfully masked. A very refreshing beer, with a good kick to it and nice balanced flavors...

bennetj17, Jan 09, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

My experience with this beer was auspicious from the beginning. I had to use a pair of vice-grips to get the cork out. Once out, the beer gave off tremendous fruity esters musty carbonation. Now I am not entirely sure how Belgian Strong Pale Ales are supposed to taste (well, yes I do) and this is highly disappointing. At first there is a wonderful tickle as it enters, then sour, plain sourness, almost like the beer was stale. I wanted to shake up the sediment to get a different taste.

One area I highly commend this beer in is it head. Meringue like from the beginning to the end. I will not be “re-visiting” this one.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Jan 08, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +8.2%

Clear gold with a big chunky head with staying power and lots of lace. Floral smells with apples and band-aids. A bit of a yeasty taste, hops are in the background, but don't really appear till the very end. Feels sharp in the mouth, and dry later on. Feels very light. Hop bitterness is more pronounced in the aftertaste rather than the actual drink.

As it warms, some tart/sour notes appear in the early part of a sip. Alcohol aromas are more pronounced, but the nose is still very floral. More complexities in the taste now as well. Sour bananas, bitter hops, a bit of spiciness as well.

This stuff is really good. :P I don't know that I can have a lot of these at once, but it's damned tasty.

allergictomacros, Jan 07, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Picked up a four pack that included a kick ass, monster sized Duvel tulip glass!!! Awesome!!!!
Bottle states "Pour Unhurriedly" and has pouring directions on back label. Also best before 06 2008

Appearance: After following pouring directions on label, I'm staring at two and a half inches of a big, white, fluffy head. The head dissapates slowly into a clumpy, clingy lacing. Pale yellow in color, reminds me of an pilsner. Lots of carbonation! Looks like the picture on BA.

Smell: The smell reminds me of Bell's Winter White Ale, lots of yeast and bread aromas, maybe some light fruits, like a hint of banana.

Taste: Lots of yeast and bread flavors. Nice combo of both malts and hops. Very tasty!

Mouthfeel: Smooth and clean, finishes dry, kinda like champagne. Alcohol is hidden well!

Drinkability: Good drinkability, not a heavy ale. Very refreshing. I could possibly drink a few of these in one evening, depending on how the alcohol kicks in.

BigDaddyWil, Jan 06, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

I don't think I've ever seen such an incredible head on a beer! It looked like merengue, and lasted to the bottom of the glass, still thick and creamy.

Very flowery, yeasty smell.

Taste was good. Kind of sweet but not a malty sweet. Reminded me of bread. The high alcohol was not apparent.

Nice crisp, clean finish.

Overall, a very good beer. Be careful to pour it slowly, or else you will foam over the glass!

doppelmeup, Jan 04, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

I tried this beer for the first time on New Year's eve. Bought it in the 1 pint 9.4 fl oz conditioned bottle. The cork popped off the bottle, just like champaign. I don't own any tulip glasses (they are on my shopping list) so I poured it into a pint glass

A--Bright, golden yellow, cloudy. very thick foamy head with excellent lacing on the glass. Retained its head very well throughout the life of the beer. Extreme carbonation...similar to champaign

S--strong malt and hop smell...also smelled a little lemony

T--very light and pleasent, nice malt and hop combo, tastes similar to a Hefe

M--lots of carbonation, but settled down nicely as I worked through the bottle. great feel, very smooth

D--Becuase of the characteristics and presentation, I view this as a "celebration" ale. It is very light and refreshing, but I found myself getting full towards the end of the beer...perhaps due to the carbonation.

Overall, an excellent beer and well worth the try.

hanco005, Jan 04, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

My wife noticed that this beer smells like flowers. I think it tastes like champagne. It's quite simply one of the best beers I can think of. Much better chilled. There are better looking beers and some have more complex, dense flavors and aromas, but this one goes down and drinks soo nicely. For an 8.5% brew to be so seductive, this is an amazing beer.

Inceidently, I think it's better from the small bottles, if you can get them. The larger corked bottles don't do anything for me, except that some of the carbonation and hence "mouthfeel" is lost.

snilsen13, Jan 03, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Spectacular appearance: light hazy golden color, plenty of streaming bubbles. Tall, lasting head like a pillow or a cloud, very sticky and uneven on top, which I think is neat.

Fresh, crisp aroma, with sulphurous notes that remind me of a pilsner.

Strong carbonation all the way through. Tart, fruity hop flavor that's very dry.This is complemented well by dryness from the yeast, which adds a sort of woody twang.

This is a great beer, and fit well for a new year's celebration. Very drinkable -- the 750 went down without trouble, and it was a delight to keep tasting as the bottle warmed up.

akahn, Jan 01, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 33 cl bottle.

Apperance: Deep yellow, thick looking brew.
Smell: Rich straw smell, with some fruitiness. Can smell the alcohol.
Taste: Apple front with heavy bitterness in the middle and end. Again the alcohol comes through towards the end.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth yet heavy, crisp.

Overall: A very good beer, which could use some time to mellow.

descartes, Dec 30, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Charming stubby bottle, best before date of 03/08.

At first I thought the image of the Duvel tulip glass half-full of head was a little ambitious, but it's true. This beer pours an enourmous, cream-white, snow-soft head that is uncontrollable and looks like a good creme brulee in my personal tulip. The color is a dark gold that's just cloudy enough to keep you from seeing through it. The head absolutely refuses to die down and remains a half-finger thick, thanks to tons of rising champagne-like bubbles! Huge lacing!

Smell is very faint but proper for the style of a golden ale - not much to say about it.

The taste first surprised me - here, thought I, is something very normal - until I swallowed and exhaled. Huge, floral, sweet notes blossomed on the back of my tongue and built through my whole palate, leaving a tiny, well-balanced bitterness and a sweet alcohol warmth in my belly (which my tongue completely didn't notice). TONS of sugary citrus, orange peel and gentle spice notes. Awesome!

Mouthfeel is really good - so much big-bubbled carbonated fizz which swirl the tastes across your tongue, but not enough to wash away the aftertaste, which is a plus because in my book the aftertaste is this beer's strongest point. Sweet and complex enough that I can't think of any outstanding flavors to describe it by. This is like champagne combined with beer!

Drinkability is totally exceptional. This ale has an astounding 8.5 abv - astounding because I don't taste it at all. I could, with dazzling ease, drink myself silly on Duvel.

Tupperwolf, Dec 29, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly cloudy medium yellow with a huge purest white head that is retained extremely well, leaving huge trails of lacing as it recedes into a mountain of thick foam. Smell is intense, the head bringing out the volatiles, with lots of breadiness and spices mixed with bright fruits and a touch of hops. Taste is mostly breads and peppery spices, the yeast really bringing out some musty character, with bright Saaz hop bitterness in the finish. Fruits are apparent throughout, apple and pear alongside a touch of bright citrus. Mouthfeel is excellent, stellar carbonation persists throughout, and it is very crisp and quite refreshing for a BSPA, while still being warming and full enough to enjoy on a cold night. Equally suitable for drinking right after mowing the lawn or while curling up in front of a fire with a good book. Can also be drunk at an incredible range of temperatures, equally good straight from the fridge or the cellar. Drinkability is great. A beer that I was less impressed with upon first sampling which I've really come to appreciate over time. Top notch.

Mandrake, Dec 29, 2005

Served in my tulip glass.

Appearance: Clear golden in color with a fantastic white head! Completely translucent. Extremely carbonated.

Smell: Sweet and fruity.

Taste: Subtle malt flavor. A bit of hoppy and spiciness buried in a candy apple bliss.

Mouthfeel: Extremely carbonated but smooth and easy to drink. Nice.

Drinkability: What a great high-quality, tasty, classy beer. It goes down very easily and is very suitable for formal occasion. I highly recommend.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Dec 27, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

It was very, very difficult to not give this all 5's. But I realized this beer isn't a god among men (but very close) so 4.5's are close enough.

Wow, this beer is just amazing. Beautiful pale appearance. The aroma is sweet and fruit filled. The taste is also fruity, sweet and creamy. A bit spicy and goes down smoothly. This begins to push the boundries of a beer and begins to taste like a fine wine. This is just everything I would expect in a great beer.

This beer is unfortunatly extreamly rare. I luckly found two bottles of this in a dark corner of a liquor store. I would definatly recommend you try this if you can find it, I would even recommend importing a case. It's worth it.

CrazyMike, Dec 26, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

One of those beers I've enjoyed for years that I've never bothered to jot one single note down until now.

Pour this baby carefully or it could get away from ya, It's manageable especially when chilled down a bit below serving temp. Huge white head developes perfectly in a tulip, as it settles it leaves chunky lacing and forms mountain peaks in the frothy goodness. Tons of fine carbonation billow to the surface. A touch on the unfiltered side but I've read this is from the yeast.

Yeast is evident along with some candied sweetness, some spiceyness.

Taste: Whoa this is one carbonated pup. Extremely crisp and sweet. Fruity and malty are the main focus but it somehow finish clean and bitter with a nice alcohol finisher.

Notes: This is a monster of a beer. The best appearance I've seen in a pale and great taste to boot. This is hella easy to drink at 8.5%.

DogFood11, Dec 23, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Appears cloudy and yellow/gold in color with off-white head that lingers for quite some time and leaves behind some nice lacing. Aromas of bananas, hops, pine, and dried fruit (apricot) come to mind. The taste is smooth and dry with a crisp, unmistakable fruity flavor that seems very tropical. The alcohol taste blends with the bitterness nicely to generate an evolving flavor spectrum from which this beer draws it's taste. Overall, this is an excellent beer and one of the finest examples of this style.

jaluria, Dec 23, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Devil, indeed.

Where to begin in my love for this sensational beer? Is it brewed with rose petals? Is the water they use at the brewery somehow fresher? Do the beer gods smile down upon the Duvel family more than the rest of us?

Whatever their secret, this is perhaps the most uniquely outstanding beer to ever meet my lips. As you pour Duvel from its bottle (into your Duvel tulip, no doubt), a thick foamy head comes quickly rushing up, and with it smells from a thousand different points of light. Currant, caramel, fruit, sweet alcohol, the aforementioned rose - just a few of the notes in this veritable cornucopia of sensory orgasm.

This is also perhaps the most refreshing beer I've ever had. It drinks much like an American lager, but in a good way. Very, very light, crisp, and refreshing. This is truly the champagne of beers.

I save ratings of "5" for world-class standards. That Duvel captures so many depicts the true greatness of this brand.

troutmask96, Dec 23, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a frothy golden color with a lively white head. Aroma is sweet with touches of banana and spices. Complex taste of sweetness followed by a nice alcohol burn. A good bitter finish to top it all off. This is the beer that started it all off for me. I love this brew.

Birdiebeagle, Dec 21, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

Duvel. What a beer. I lived off this beer in Amsterdam for a few months but never thought to review until I had a bottle last night at the BXL in New York.

Had it severed in a proper Duvel tulip glass. As usual it poured a nice golden bright color with a very thick white bubbly head. The body is just like a good champagne and has the activity of one.

This beer has a great balance between it hoppy character and a sweet taste to round out on the tongue. The great taste lingers in your mouth which is all for good.

Although it rings in at 8.5%, it is a pretty easy beer to drink and I have experienced having a bunch in one night but still being able to taste them all.

Just picked up a 4 pack with the glass for $12.99, what a deal!

ggaughan, Dec 21, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Ahh, the classic, perhaps the measuring block that all Belgian SPAs have to compete against? This seems to me to be the perfect example of this style, even if it’s not my favorite of this style.

Pale golden straw with a fluffy dimpled pure white head. A few bubbles are in no hurry but definitely dedicated to their task of joining that clouds of froth forming into pads where a tower of bubbles does it’s part to maintain the cover for the duration of the drink. Smells really good, candy sweet and dry yeasty notes intermingle and caress my anxiously awaiting olfactory sensors. Taste is dryer, with just a bare hint of sweetness laced with dry champagne. The yeastiness noted in the nose is subdued, in part due to the carbonation coming alive and foaming on the tongue just as you begin being able to taste it. Hops finish up almost resinously bitter, but in balance with such a light malt profile. With a light body and that carbonation that sparks to a rolling boil in your mouth, the beer is pretty refreshing, and hides it’s 8.5% to a degree. You won’t likely toss back Duvel like some ESBs, but you’ll have no trouble enjoying them.

sopor, Dec 19, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance -- Poured into a Duvel Tulip glass. Very nice cloudy, dark golden yellow. Two finger, fluffy white head. Respectable lacing. I like how the engraved "D" in the bottom of this special glass causes the carbonation to rise from that point only. Very hard-core appearance.

Smell -- Quite complex. Very fruity. I'm getting faint whiffs of apples and maybe pears. Spicy.

Taste -- Fruity but not overly. Almost tastes like champagne. There's more going on here than I can describe.

Mouthfeel -- Light and dry. Nice carbonation. Very pleasant.

Drinkability -- I like this beer a lot and will most definitely seek it out again . . . I've got the special glass now. It's a little more on the pricey side, but that's pretty typical for a good Belgian. Very pleasant and enjoyable. Highly recommended.

ClearDog, Dec 18, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Yes Yes Yes. Duval was a wise choise for me tonight. I love this stuff. I wasn't sure if paying 2.49 for a little 11 oz bottle would be worth it, but I was wrong. It poured out crisp and pale gold. formed a huge champange head that stayed floating till I was almost done. the smell was fruity and floral with a little bread dough. Taste was awsome. Sharp hops and sweet on the tounge. If it didn't taste so good I could easily chug these little guys down one by one.
Awsome beer. going to buy the 4 pack next time.

ToggleEyes, Dec 18, 2005