Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,698 | Hads: 7,431
2.7/5  rDev -36.9%

Must say was looking forward to trying my first Duval and cracked it open, from previous reviews was expecting a huge head but it wasn't there at all. There was plenty of carbonation in the beer, so I don't think it was bum bottle.
The initial taste is quite a wallop to the taste buds, but initially I thought someone had mixed sparkling wine into my beer, a very sweet fruity bite with a bitter aftertaste.
Just didnt do it for me.
Has a nice colour and good aroma when you waft it, but overall just too fruity for me.
An overrated and pretty expensive beer. Won't be giving this one another chance unless someone pours me one.

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%

Im not a Belgian drinker at all but i wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

:Poured into a white wine glass.

Poured a golden color with an extremely full white head which suprised me. The smell was mildly fruity. Very mild. I didnt care for the taste at all. It tasted of over fermented apples. It freaked me out because I thought it was bad but my dad said it was delicious when I made him taste. It was alot more full in body then I expected but it was hard to get over the disctracting taste. I wouldnt drink this on the regular, maybe I need to work my way up to it in the Belgian world.

2.78/5  rDev -35%

We had our neighborhood world beer tasting soiree last night and we tried the Duvel Belgian Golden Ale. The beer poured a straw yellow with a large foamy white head that laces. The smell includes alcohol, cracker, light grass. The taste carries belgium malt and lemon grass zing power the taste. The mouthfeel is big bodied with massive carbonation. The alcohol content make this a tough beer.

2.79/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The color of this beer is a cloudy medium yellow. The aroma you get is a herb and spice smell and is kind of strong. Tasting this beer it is spicy and the finish of this beer is quite dry.

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%

This beer looked very good going into the glass. It had a great white head on it. The aroma was very noticable. This was the first time I have ever experienced a Belgian Strong Ale. I guess I just don't care for the sour aftertase which I believe is typical of the style. I am sure it is a great beer it's class. It is just not for me.

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured this beer into a 50 degree Duvel glass. The beer was very pretty with a most gorgeous thick creamy white head that made little burgs in the glass. Beer had a slightlty sour smell. High alcohol made for a rather sweet brew I thought with a slight burn after but not bad. I know this beer is revered by many and I think everyone should try it, but it is just not my cup of beer. Will not buy again.

2.81/5  rDev -34.3%

Was excited to try this beer after drinking Chimay.

This poured a lovely pale with nice white head that would not go away. Lacing stayed for ever. Very nice. Lots of bubbles. Lots!

Smell. Strong yeast, bread, biscutty smell.

taste... well.. I could tell this was good quality stuff but I just do not like this type of beer I guess. Very yeasty and just not pleasant to drink. I did not like it. I guess I just don't like this type.

Very strong beer so be careful!!

2.84/5  rDev -33.6%

A heavy blonde beer you can find everywhere in Belgium or in France. Classical smell fot that kind of beer. In fact I must admit that subtlety is not his first quality. In my opinion it is has a conventional aspect. Okay to drink but overestimated in my opinion.

2.86/5  rDev -33.2%

Appearance and aroma similar to what a lot of guys on here have already said, but I wasn't crazy about the taste. Had a more experienced beer drinking buddy over and he said it might have been exposed to too much light. I will definitely try this again in the future, but as of now, I'm not crazy about it.

2.87/5  rDev -32.9%

appearance - i do as the bottle instructs(how i pour all my beers anyway), slowly pour about one ounce and have to stop because my glass almost foams over. takes about 3 minutes for the foam to go down so i can pour another once. color is almost water like with a small tint of yellow. so far it looks and pours just like a coors light. its very ironic how it recieved so many high marks for appearance while the same people would probably slam identical appearing beers such as coors light.

smell - like mainstream american crap beer, but with a slightly more sweet presence that lets you know it will probably taste better.

taste - it didnt taste much better. its like a slightly improved coors light, with a sweeter, fruity taste that becomes sour as soon as you swallow. not much depth or complexity at all. not much else to say, very disappointing.

mouthfeel - extreme carbonation makes for a thin, sour, unpleasant mouthfeel.

drinkability - i was all exited to try this one but i failed to finish my 11.2 oz bottle. for reasons listed above. tastes like something id drink out of a keg at a party.

2.87/5  rDev -32.9%

750 ml purchased from Cost Plus. Drink before date on label, with a cask-top. Had a nice pop, should be very fresh.

A - Pale, yellow pour with firm body, lots of dsh-soap colored head, with bits of clumpy proteins.

S - Apple, pears, ester, and almond immediately fills the nostril with delight.

T - Notes of anjou pear, ester, with little taste of pepper, and an earthy-hoppy finish.

M - Moderate-heavy carbonation, light note of alcohol on finish, and moderately sour. Almost feels like it should be classed as a lager based on color and carbonation (but not abv content).

D - Recommend drinking in small quantities as an appertif or with a fruit-based dessert.

As much as I enjoy Belgians, and especially golden ales (see Delirium and Damnation), I really did not care for this one due to the moderate sourness and earthy finish. :(

2.87/5  rDev -32.9%

I'll be honest. I know it's considered the defining beer of the style, but I've just never cared that much for Duvel. It's the light lager of Belgian ales, even down to that lightly sulfury aroma. It's clear and pretty with a billowing head, high carbonation and light body, little flavor but a slightly sweet graininess. An easy drinking 8.5% but so boring. If I'm going to have this much alcohol, I'd prefer to get flavor along with it.

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I bought this beer liking the way it looked on the shelf. It pours into a glass very nicely with a good bit of head. The aroma is a fruity taste with a kind of bitter finish. Overall it was a good beer but way over my price range for the taste even tho it has a fancy looking bottle.

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%

Rich golden with lasting white head served in the trappist glass. Smell is yeasty a bit with a corn like malt aroma. It is highly carbonated, refreshing simple and drinkable with a slightly spiced yeast character. The alchohol is well hidden for 8.5%. Decent.

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%

Wow, this beer is rated pretty high on this site...Sorry, didn't really care for it. Got a taste of apple and plum, but the conditioning was way to harsh for me. This is one of those times where I tend to differ with the crowd. I do understand this style, but I don't care for this one...

2.91/5  rDev -32%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

-really sweet fruits hit first,lime,orange and sweet malt
-off flavors with cheap candy and dextrose energy
-Very noticeable alcohol
-low carbonation
-decnt hoppy finish

didnt impress me tbh,tasted like a beefed-up Radler

2.91/5  rDev -32%

Has a crisp apple smell almost like a cider. Nicely carbonated and pours a big frothy head. Golden yellow colour with lots of bubbles. It tastes a bit like champagne. Tangy. Actually a lot like white wine.. without so much of the sweetness. The 8.5% ABV has no where to hide, it's right up front. I would use this beer as a wine substitute in seafood recipes.

2.91/5  rDev -32%

Originally sampled on 12 October 2002. This review is from my notes. I was underwhelmed by this beer. Pours w/ a big frothy white head; opaque golden color; I really thought that this would be a Grand Cru style of beer. It really wasn't anything special. The taste didn't do much for me.

2.94/5  rDev -31.3%

The look of this beer is phenomenal. It pours a nice golden yellow with a thick white cap upon it. When sniffed I got a yeasty bready smell and nothing more, it smelled quite brut. The taste was simply boozy and nothing that I thought was too remarkable, but I'd be idiotic to not mention that it's flavor is remarkably clean- despite how weird it sounds after saying it was unremarkable. I kind of felt as thought I was drinking a cocktail. it also could have something to do with the temperature at which it was served, but I did warm it with my hands and had the same feelings about it. In the mouth it has crazy carbonation which I didn't mind at all. Its quite comparable to a brut champagne in my mind. When it comes to drinkability the beer is okay, it's light on flavor and has more kick than a line of Rockette's. I really would like to give this beer another try though.

2.95/5  rDev -31.1%

Was waiting a long time to try this beer and all I'm left with I'm dissapoinent.

Appearance - pale yellow somewhat cloudy with a lot of head

Smell - bread and yeast dominate the smell.

Taste - it starts out more like a sparking wine then finishes more like a triple.

Mouthfeel - high carbonation. Too much for a beer like this in my opinion. Not as 'chewy' as I expected.

Overall - for the cost I have had many Ales that would blow the doors off Duvel. For 15.00/4 pack I'm expecting much more.

2.95/5  rDev -31.1%

The taste was mild concidering the 8.5% alcohol. Not to tart and not over spicy. I find it not enjoyable at all for a Belguim Ale. This is my second time and I rated it less than the first time.

2.96/5  rDev -30.8%

Reviewed 10/29/2005 (750ml bottle):

Has a sweet floral aroma. Body is golden yellow in color. Taste is slightly bitter, and the palate is slightly fizzy. Good, but I've had better Belgian ales. Kind of a let down, maybe it was hyped up too much to me.

Pours a pale yellow, very fizzy and carbonated, similar to apple juice in appearance and aroma.

Taste, very fruity, must be the yeast, but lacking hop character, and is extremely hot on the alcohol. Tastes like it might be 18 rather than 8%. More apple downward bottle. Can't really say this one was enjoyable, but this kind of thing has never really been my style. Next time I score a bottle on a whim, I'm gonna age it. I like big extreme beers, but this just tastes like a macro as if its a boilermaker (i.e. a shot of alcohol in the beer).

Too expensive and rough to get through to rate any better on the drinkability scale.

3.01/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a crystal clear bright golden color. Huge white head that last as long as the Beatles. Nice chunky white lace. This beer is eye candy.
Smells a bit buttery and yeasty.
This beer is a bit buttery and acidic for my taste. The flavors are more intense than I was expecting. Lot's of lemon zest and pepper.
Mouthfeel is perfect and keeps me drinking a beer that I really do not like. Very active carbonation and light bodied for a beer this size.
Belgians are hit or miss with me and this one is a miss. I think I was kind of expecting a Belgian session beer and this is not that. I still think it deserves all of the accolades that it's received.

3.03/5  rDev -29.2%

For the price I paid and the number of outstanding ratings I was expecting a near life changing experience; what I got was a decent enough beer but nothing particularly stunning. Poured out a bright amber with a good thick pure white head that demonstrated excellent head retention. The smell was that of cloves with some earthiness. The taste was OK with hints of spiciness and fruitiness typical of a Belgian style, but there was very little to set it apart from any other beer of this style. The finish was actually quite plain. The mouth feel was decent enough but the carbonation level was a tad on the high side.

Overall I would much prefer a Chimay to this one especially since either one will set you back a few extra bucks. Decent enough but just not that special.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV