Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,663 | Hads: 7,252
2.8/5  rDev -34.7%

Poured this beer into a 50 degree Duvel glass. The beer was very pretty with a most gorgeous thick creamy white head that made little burgs in the glass. Beer had a slightlty sour smell. High alcohol made for a rather sweet brew I thought with a slight burn after but not bad. I know this beer is revered by many and I think everyone should try it, but it is just not my cup of beer. Will not buy again. (403 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -34.5%

Was excited to try this beer after drinking Chimay.

This poured a lovely pale with nice white head that would not go away. Lacing stayed for ever. Very nice. Lots of bubbles. Lots!

Smell. Strong yeast, bread, biscutty smell.

taste... well.. I could tell this was good quality stuff but I just do not like this type of beer I guess. Very yeasty and just not pleasant to drink. I did not like it. I guess I just don't like this type.

Very strong beer so be careful!! (471 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -33.8%

A heavy blonde beer you can find everywhere in Belgium or in France. Classical smell fot that kind of beer. In fact I must admit that subtlety is not his first quality. In my opinion it is has a conventional aspect. Okay to drink but overestimated in my opinion. (262 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -33.3%

Appearance and aroma similar to what a lot of guys on here have already said, but I wasn't crazy about the taste. Had a more experienced beer drinking buddy over and he said it might have been exposed to too much light. I will definitely try this again in the future, but as of now, I'm not crazy about it. (306 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -33.1%

appearance - i do as the bottle instructs(how i pour all my beers anyway), slowly pour about one ounce and have to stop because my glass almost foams over. takes about 3 minutes for the foam to go down so i can pour another once. color is almost water like with a small tint of yellow. so far it looks and pours just like a coors light. its very ironic how it recieved so many high marks for appearance while the same people would probably slam identical appearing beers such as coors light.

smell - like mainstream american crap beer, but with a slightly more sweet presence that lets you know it will probably taste better.

taste - it didnt taste much better. its like a slightly improved coors light, with a sweeter, fruity taste that becomes sour as soon as you swallow. not much depth or complexity at all. not much else to say, very disappointing.

mouthfeel - extreme carbonation makes for a thin, sour, unpleasant mouthfeel.

drinkability - i was all exited to try this one but i failed to finish my 11.2 oz bottle. for reasons listed above. tastes like something id drink out of a keg at a party. (1,115 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -33.1%

750 ml purchased from Cost Plus. Drink before date on label, with a cask-top. Had a nice pop, should be very fresh.

A - Pale, yellow pour with firm body, lots of dsh-soap colored head, with bits of clumpy proteins.

S - Apple, pears, ester, and almond immediately fills the nostril with delight.

T - Notes of anjou pear, ester, with little taste of pepper, and an earthy-hoppy finish.

M - Moderate-heavy carbonation, light note of alcohol on finish, and moderately sour. Almost feels like it should be classed as a lager based on color and carbonation (but not abv content).

D - Recommend drinking in small quantities as an appertif or with a fruit-based dessert.

As much as I enjoy Belgians, and especially golden ales (see Delirium and Damnation), I really did not care for this one due to the moderate sourness and earthy finish. :( (842 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -33.1%

I'll be honest. I know it's considered the defining beer of the style, but I've just never cared that much for Duvel. It's the light lager of Belgian ales, even down to that lightly sulfury aroma. It's clear and pretty with a billowing head, high carbonation and light body, little flavor but a slightly sweet graininess. An easy drinking 8.5% but so boring. If I'm going to have this much alcohol, I'd prefer to get flavor along with it. (443 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I bought this beer liking the way it looked on the shelf. It pours into a glass very nicely with a good bit of head. The aroma is a fruity taste with a kind of bitter finish. Overall it was a good beer but way over my price range for the taste even tho it has a fancy looking bottle. (283 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -32.4%

Rich golden with lasting white head served in the trappist glass. Smell is yeasty a bit with a corn like malt aroma. It is highly carbonated, refreshing simple and drinkable with a slightly spiced yeast character. The alchohol is well hidden for 8.5%. Decent. (259 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -32.4%

Wow, this beer is rated pretty high on this site...Sorry, didn't really care for it. Got a taste of apple and plum, but the conditioning was way to harsh for me. This is one of those times where I tend to differ with the crowd. I do understand this style, but I don't care for this one... (288 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -32.2%

Has a crisp apple smell almost like a cider. Nicely carbonated and pours a big frothy head. Golden yellow colour with lots of bubbles. It tastes a bit like champagne. Tangy. Actually a lot like white wine.. without so much of the sweetness. The 8.5% ABV has no where to hide, it's right up front. I would use this beer as a wine substitute in seafood recipes. (359 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -32.2%

Originally sampled on 12 October 2002. This review is from my notes. I was underwhelmed by this beer. Pours w/ a big frothy white head; opaque golden color; I really thought that this would be a Grand Cru style of beer. It really wasn't anything special. The taste didn't do much for me. (287 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -31.5%

The look of this beer is phenomenal. It pours a nice golden yellow with a thick white cap upon it. When sniffed I got a yeasty bready smell and nothing more, it smelled quite brut. The taste was simply boozy and nothing that I thought was too remarkable, but I'd be idiotic to not mention that it's flavor is remarkably clean- despite how weird it sounds after saying it was unremarkable. I kind of felt as thought I was drinking a cocktail. it also could have something to do with the temperature at which it was served, but I did warm it with my hands and had the same feelings about it. In the mouth it has crazy carbonation which I didn't mind at all. Its quite comparable to a brut champagne in my mind. When it comes to drinkability the beer is okay, it's light on flavor and has more kick than a line of Rockette's. I really would like to give this beer another try though. (880 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -31.2%

Was waiting a long time to try this beer and all I'm left with I'm dissapoinent.

Appearance - pale yellow somewhat cloudy with a lot of head

Smell - bread and yeast dominate the smell.

Taste - it starts out more like a sparking wine then finishes more like a triple.

Mouthfeel - high carbonation. Too much for a beer like this in my opinion. Not as 'chewy' as I expected.

Overall - for the cost I have had many Ales that would blow the doors off Duvel. For 15.00/4 pack I'm expecting much more. (503 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -31.2%

The taste was mild concidering the 8.5% alcohol. Not to tart and not over spicy. I find it not enjoyable at all for a Belguim Ale. This is my second time and I rated it less than the first time. (194 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -31%

Reviewed 10/29/2005 (750ml bottle):

Has a sweet floral aroma. Body is golden yellow in color. Taste is slightly bitter, and the palate is slightly fizzy. Good, but I've had better Belgian ales. Kind of a let down, maybe it was hyped up too much to me. (252 characters)

Pours a pale yellow, very fizzy and carbonated, similar to apple juice in appearance and aroma.

Taste, very fruity, must be the yeast, but lacking hop character, and is extremely hot on the alcohol. Tastes like it might be 18 rather than 8%. More apple downward bottle. Can't really say this one was enjoyable, but this kind of thing has never really been my style. Next time I score a bottle on a whim, I'm gonna age it. I like big extreme beers, but this just tastes like a macro as if its a boilermaker (i.e. a shot of alcohol in the beer).

Too expensive and rough to get through to rate any better on the drinkability scale. (631 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours a crystal clear bright golden color. Huge white head that last as long as the Beatles. Nice chunky white lace. This beer is eye candy.
Smells a bit buttery and yeasty.
This beer is a bit buttery and acidic for my taste. The flavors are more intense than I was expecting. Lot's of lemon zest and pepper.
Mouthfeel is perfect and keeps me drinking a beer that I really do not like. Very active carbonation and light bodied for a beer this size.
Belgians are hit or miss with me and this one is a miss. I think I was kind of expecting a Belgian session beer and this is not that. I still think it deserves all of the accolades that it's received. (649 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -29.4%

For the price I paid and the number of outstanding ratings I was expecting a near life changing experience; what I got was a decent enough beer but nothing particularly stunning. Poured out a bright amber with a good thick pure white head that demonstrated excellent head retention. The smell was that of cloves with some earthiness. The taste was OK with hints of spiciness and fruitiness typical of a Belgian style, but there was very little to set it apart from any other beer of this style. The finish was actually quite plain. The mouth feel was decent enough but the carbonation level was a tad on the high side.

Overall I would much prefer a Chimay to this one especially since either one will set you back a few extra bucks. Decent enough but just not that special. (774 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured into a snifter. Thick soapy, iceburg head...light straw colored body with a lot of carbonation and ample lacing. The smell is sweet..sugar, belgian yeast, some alcohol and solvent, and a touch of apple. The taste is of belgian yeast, alcohol, and hops (much more than in the smell). The mouthfeel is medium bodied. Overall a good beer but too much alcohol in the taste will lower the overall score. (405 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -28.9%

Look: Poured from a 330mL bottle with a best before date of 05, 2013. The color is pale yellow with a thin white head that remains throughout. Lots of carbonation coming up from the bottom and sides of my snifter glass.

Smell: Strong aroma eminated from glass as I poured it, gently into the snifter glass. Smells of sweet fruit, yeast, and as the beer warmed I picked up some grassy notes.

Taste: Bitterness, very citrusy with faint notes of the yeast. As the beer warmed I also picked up grassy notes and a bit more malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Crisp is what really comes to mind here. The carbonation in combination with the crispness gives it a very dry feel. The alcohol does not come through eventhough this beer has an ABV of 8.5. Mouthfeel reminds me of a dry white wine.

Drinkability: Too much carbonation in combonation with bitterness for me. Don't think I would have more than 1 of these during a session. (920 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -28.4%

A - Pours a beautiful clear color with a little cloudiness high in the glass. Has a very large, very light head with remarkable staying power. Disapates (eventually) leaving a heavy lacing on my Duvel tulip glass.

S. Lemony citrus scent, a little malty, yeasty.

T: Mild, especially for a Belgian. A short malty foretaste before a lemony hops. Not a whole lot of depth to it

M: Pleasant not too heavy but not watery either.

D: Quite drinkable, won't leave you worn out after one, but you could easily be satisified with one glass.

Overall: A fine beer, but not a great example of Belgian styles. Is probably a bit more accessible than most Belgians though. (674 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -28.2%

I dunno why it took me so long to review this beer as it's so widely available and I've had many. 330 ml, BBE June 2012, into Duvel tulip. Pours spectacular, rocky white head that gradually subsides, becoming dimply and broken into clumps and patches. Although the brewer claims only original ingredients have been used in this one, the artificially looking head gives an impression of clumps of foam floating on a heavily polluted river rather than clouds drifting over the golden sea below.
Aromas of pale malts, fruity esters of apple tartness and pear,some candied sugar, quite noticeable alcohol. Flavors of green apple tartness and pear rolled into soft pale malts, slightly peppery with warming alcohol notes. Tons of carbonation and bitterness derived from Styrian Golding hops lend dry finish with bitter aftertaste. Light to medium body seems lighter due to effervescent texture and crispiness. One might say that Duvel is a style of its own, but in terms of Belgian golden strong ale it does a poor job. Fruity esters are somehow indecisive and lacking any citrus notes, spicy and peppery phenolic to subdued (at least in the aroma section). Duvel was created as a response to the growing popularity of Czech pilsners and their German counterparts that ravished across Europe at the time. And this is what it is - although basicaly an ale, Duvel is merely a pilsner clone on steroids. (1,395 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -28.2%

A commercial strong ale, with toe cheese on the nose and unrefined alcohol in the mouth. The alcohol dominates across the palatte, which is quite a feat, given it is only 8.5%.

I note this beer is currently 59th on the overall beerlist for BA, and 5th out of all the Belgian beers, and I just find that to be divorced from reality. I doubt it would make it into my top 59 for Belgium!

When I think of all the beers I know that are behind this on BA ratings list, it pains me. (477 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -28.2%

Starting to hit the Belgian's now. Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pristine golden in color with a huge white foamy head. A look like this allowed for much promise.

S - Fruity, like pears or apples, a bit nutty perhaps hazelnut or almond.

T - Fruity upfront followed by an earthly hop that was quite interesting. The linger was very impressive. Very crisp, not all what its cracked up to be, kinda overrated.

M - Light bodied and very well balanced. Left the palate very clean.

D - A slow drinker at 8.5% but very enjoyable and recommended. (544 characters)

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV